SC Soccer
You can also e-mail them to kyle@scsoccer.com. Thanks!

South Pointe 6
Byrnes 0
Mauldin 3
TL Hanna 2
Cardinal Newman 3
AC Flora 2

PKs
South Florence - 2
Darlington - 0
3/3/08

Brookland-Cayce 6-0 Gilbert
Leonard Price Field @ Tomahawk Stadium
Gilbert, SC

Goals: (BC) Eduardo Adam 4, Jose Guzman 2.
Assists: (BC) Christoph Holzwarth 2, Rico Jackson 2, Guzman, Chris Pinner.
Saves: (BC) Chris Duzan 0; (G) Christian Lardizabal 15.
Shots: (BC) 44; (G) 2.
Corner Kicks: (BC) 13; (G) 0.
Fouls: (BC) 10; (G) 6.
Cautions: (BC) Robby Setzler, 32:00.
Halftime: BC 3-0 Gilbert.
Officials: Steve Darnell; Marion Shull.
Weather: Clear, 65 Degrees, Breezy.
Records: BC (1-0); G (2-2).

Scoring Sequence:
6:26 - Adam from Holzwarth, BC 1-0
12:16 - Adam from Holzwarth, BC 2-0
35:34 - Guzman from Jackson, BC 3-0
43:49 - Adam from Jackson, BC 4-0
62:36 - Adam from Guzman, BC 5-0
65:40 - Guzman from Pinner, BC 6-0
Am I reading that correctly Mr. Heise, 44 shots! Well done by your boys!
Clinton 0 - 19 J.L. Mann
Early season goal scoring race.......

Gorospe from South Pointe got three.
Adam from B-C got four.
Anybody from JL Mann tally more than that?
Sam Mattern (#2, Mann) had 6 goals last night.
Chapin 0 Ridge View 0 Half
Chapin 3 Ridge View 0
Very good game!!!
I understand that JL Mann is a good team and that Clinton is probably not, but I cannot understand how you can score 19 goals on someone without running up the score. I have never had a team that I coached or watched where there could not have been put some kind of restriction on them where the score could be limited by either having goals score by header, consectutive passes, etc. And while JL Mann has some good players, I cannot imagine that their bench and lower players are so good that they keep running up the score to 19. No player should have 6 goals in a blowout.
19 goals. Wow. Somebody is in for some real bad karma with that poor display.
CF,

I think 9 is the limit.....you don't try to put up double-digits on anyone.

The "restrictions" you recommend are simple. Only one restriction:

Whoever scores the 10th goal runs for 90 minutes at the following day's practice.
I'm not a big fan of teams that try to play keep away just to kill the time, but you can do a myriad of things in order to change up how you score. Move your defenders to forwards or midfielders, strictly limit the touches a person can take, etc. These blowout games don't do either team any good.
I agree.....but it is a topic for another thread.

Let's move along and get back on track. Good win for JL Mann and I'm sure they have tougher games on their schedule ahead.
Hurts,
You are right for a change. No team should put up more than 9-10 goals. If the starters get up 4,5-0 or the like early in the game, you pull all of them and let the bench players have their PT. I am sure they won't get much PT as the season progresses. If the bench players get the score up to 8,9-0, then thats enough. Work on passing, technique and other issues, but not scoring. 19-0 should never happen Mann.
Ridgeland 6-5 Hardeeville

Halftime Ridgeland 1-4 Hardeeville

Enrique Buruca had 5 goals for Ridgeland. Great second half comeback for Ridgeland being down by three. Great game as both teams literally knew each other since they played under Jasper County last year
WADE HAMPTON 3 SWANSEA O
Personally, having been on both sides of lopsided scores, I find it very educational when a team that is clearly better than mine plays possession. It is an education for my players both to see how to possess the ball as an offense and to learn how to defend without chasing the ball. Maybe a team that is even in skill would be offended, but then they wouldn't be down 9-10 goals.
Another poor thing about running the score up is that the losing team's future opponents (especially the kids) feel that it is a benchmark to measure themselves by which can really hurt a struggling team--for example, if Mann puts up 19, another team feels like they have to exceed 19 to show they are better than Mann. This is very adolescent thinking, but we are dealing with adolescents...
unsportsman like score
I started a new thread for the unsportsman like scoring.
Quote:

I started a new thread for the unsportsman like scoring.

Thanks, if I could merge these posts into that thread I would, but please make posts concerning that subject matter in that appropriate thread.
Irmo 4 - Ridge View 0
Chapin 2 - Dreher 1
any results on the Riverside Greenville game.....last i heard was 0-0 second half
At Waccamaw High School:

Waccamaw 5
Stratford 3
Riverside win's in PK's
Was that Chapin's starters the whole time? Just wondering.Anybody know any details on that game?
Quote:

Was that Chapin's starters the whole time? Just wondering.Anybody know any details on that game?

I have about 1,500 words on the match - I just need rosters.
Byrnes 1
Southside Christian 4
At James Island
West Ashley 5
James Island 2
What has happened to James Island?

On another note has anyone noticed the lack of calls on illegal throwins? Helicopter, sidewinder, and one hand styles all seem acceptable these days. Has there been a mandate for officials to not worry about this aspect of the game?
Socastee 8
Wilson 1
James Island - their coach must be on crack.

West Ashley played very, very well. Congrats to the players and coaching staff on a job well done. Good luck.
Thanks Todd, Keep your head up. The wins will come you way, your boy's played hard and never gave up.
Quote:

Well, I wanted to wait until I got a complete roster from Dreher, but I also don't want to sit on this piece all day. Perhaps once I get the names filled in I'll make this its own thread.

Without further adieu:

#2 Chapin vs #9 Dreher
Wednesday, March 5th 2008
Memorial Stadium
Columbia, SC

The NCAA may have trademarked “March Madness,” but the Eagles of Chapin and the Blue Devils of Dreher are doing their best to challenge the collegiate basketball tournament’s namesake. It’s never too early to start playoff talk (there are only so many days in the year!) and that is exactly what this 3A Midlands clash can generate.

Both Chapin and Dreher paid their preseason dues at the Lake Murray Challenge, one side going 0-2 including a 5-2 loss to Irmo – the other achieving a 2-1 victory over defending Class 4A Upperstate Champions Northwestern.

However, if there was ever an argument against like-opponent comparison it was evident tonight at Memorial Stadium. A spirited crowd was on hand to cheer for two teams looking to assert themselves as the cream of the crop in Class 3A Sandhills soccer.

Through fluid one and two touch passing Chapin was able to dictate the tempo from the opening whistle. Dreher’s midfielders and defenders struggled to track the strafing Chapin attackers as they swooped in and around the eighteen yard box. Eventually the Eagles’ suave style of play unlocked the Dreher six yard box for the game’s first genuine scoring opportunity, only to result in a volley over the crossbar from Chapin’s sophomore forward Dylan Matthiessen.

Buoyed by this shot across the bow, the Blue Devils mustered a spout of quality possession, but were unable to convert as DHS #23 ballooned a quality opportunity, with DHS #13 following suit.

Around the tenth minute, senior midfielder David Slaughter would make the Blue Devils pay when he unleashed a hellacious strike from well outside the eighteen beating DHS Keeper to the far corner of the goal.

Dreher: 0
Chapin: 1

Although slightly rattled from conceding the early goal, Dreher Keeper (name) steadied his side with a reaction kick save to deny senior forward Skylar Satterfield inside the eighteen. Bolstered by the save, the Blue Devils answered back in admirable fashion. Through a no-nonsense mentality in the back and a recalcitrant effort in the midfield, Dreher was able to maintain possession long enough for Byron Quinatoa to find open space at the edge of the Chapin eighteen. True to the hype, Quinatoa cut to the center of the field and let loose a top-class strike to beat the fingertips of Chapin keeper Greg De Mare to the inside of the post.

Dreher: 1

The remainder of the half saw Dreher enjoy a majority of possession, including four stellar opportunities:

1. A sublime through ball from DHS #17 found DHS #9 in stride, though unable to circumvent De Mare’s stout keeping.
2. Chapin defenders are unable to clear the box as the ball settles at the feet of DHS #22 who fails to compose himself and deliver the go-ahead goal.
3. DHS #17 offered yet another sitter (this time into the six yard box), but DHS #12 was unable to connect.
4. A quality long ball down the touchline from Quinatoa to DHS #12 results in a corner for the Blue Devils. Quinatoa serves the corner only to have it deflected back to his feet. Dribbles past one Chapin defender for a chance at the near post, but slices the shot well wide.

Halftime

Halftime Thoughts:
Dreher clearly lacked eleven players with the overall skill that the Eagles displayed. However, the Blue Devils played an inspired half – centered around the persistence and quality of Byron Quinatoa and #9 in the midfield. Unlucky not to have converted a handful of opportunities Dreher presented themselves as a formidable opponent.

Chapin opened playing the game the way it should be played. Reminiscent of the quality generally touted by the Upstate juggernauts. However, after the strike by Quinatoa, Chapin failed to answer the intensity of the Blue Devils. The midfield disappeared for the last twenty minutes and the Eagles were lucky to be level at the interval.

After the halftime break, it was déjà vu all over again for the Blue Devils. Chapin opened the half reverting back to their silky brand of soccer, while Dreher struggled to clear their defensive third.

Finally, the unrelenting pressure resulted in an open look for Chapin midfielder Ben Bosco who floated an excellent chance high and wide. However, the Eagles maintained their presence in the attacking third long enough for sophomore sensation Joey De Mare to dance to the end line and send a savory ball in front of the goal mouth to a poised Haze Weinspach. Dreher defenders closed quick enough to block the shot, although conceding the corner. Weinspach appeared to pick up a knock on the play and did not return for the remainder of the match.

Senior forward David Stone scorched a dangerous cross to the near post and DHS #21 attempt to clear glanced from his head into the far side net for an own goal.

Chapin: 2

Perhaps in years past after allowing a soft goal in such a tight match the flood gates would open and swallow the Blue Devils. Not so in 2008. The versatility of Dreher utility man senior Alex Hill along with the depth in defense helped shore the hole left by injured sweeper Luke Berson. In an effort to stabilize the midfield and retain possession Hill moved up field granting sophomore defender Preston Mousseau the duty of subduing Chapin’s compelling strike force.

Possession gradually evened out as DHS #17 and Byron Quinatoa asserted their presence yet again, by working back for the ball. Coupled with improved distribution from DHS Keeper and the Blue Devils were back insight of evening the score.

For the next twenty minutes both sides traded their best blows, each missing 1v1 opportunities. Dreher finished the match strong as DHS #9 redirected a 45 yard free kick just wide of the post and a Chapin keeper at full stretch.

In the fashion of a great soccer match, there was a cornucopia of scoring opportunities - capped off by two quality strikes and a lapse in concentration to make the difference. The better team won, but not without having some serious questions asked. Ultimately, the match was the perfect test for both sides as they begin region play in less than a week and will serve to better their postseason aspirations.

Final
Dreher - 1
Chapin – 2

Post game Thoughts:
Dreher certainly will be looking at this match as a missed opportunity to upset a Chapin side that has been on fire to start the season. The focus now shifts to 15th ranked Region 3-3A rival A.C. Flora. Capitalizing on scoring opportunities and minimizing mental errors will be a point of emphasis in the Blue Devils’ preparation.

Chapin is a bona fide contender. The Eagles have all the tools to play the “beautiful game,” but need to be able to adjust to more physical competition. Strong in every third of the field, they are clear favorite for the Region 4-3A title, though Brookland-Cayce will have their say later this month.

Goals: (C) David Slaughter, David Stone; (D) Byron Quinatoa
Corner Kicks: (C) 3; (D) 3
Cautions: (C) David Stone, David Slaughter, Skylar Satterfield; (D) #2, #6
Halftime: Dreher 1 – 1 Chapin
Records: D (0-3); C (5-1)

Players to Watch

Dreher:
Byron Quinatoa- It took him (along with the rest of his team) a good ten minutes to settle into the game. However, once he got into the match he rarely left it. There are very few aspects of the game that Byron does not excel in. He can deliver an array of dangerous balls from the midfield, as well as dribble to space, and absolutely is not timid facing goal. As an attacker Byron has a great sense of where he needs to be to make a play successful. Quinatoa doesn’t just score goals though. He is often working back for the ball in his defensive third. Team offense – team defense, that is what you get from Byron Quinatoa. If there is one aspect he can improve it is his strength in the air.

Chapin:
Joey De Mare- Statistically speaking, De Mare had a quiet evening. Despite failing to appear on the score sheet, De Mare was central in many of the Eagles’ attempts on goal. He is a player that can play at another level, both in pace and skill. On several occasions he received a well delivered cross in stride and then made a cut inside/outside reminiscent of a certain Manchester United winger. Ability – plain and simple. A player that can create opportunities for himself and others.
TR...Need to get that hat and jacket back to you.
Cola fan, on the throw ins...
I understand that the refs have been told to let the "sidewinders" (ball spinning sideways?) go as legal.
Can any refs confirm?
JR...
Wow.
Good recap
On the sidewinders deal with throw ins, my team has been called a couple of times this year in scrimmages for throwing the ball in and having side spin on it
very nice recap. I felt like I was there!
Personally i feel that Dreher could have pulled away with a win. It would have been nice to see them overtake Chapin
Rock Hill 5 Clover 0
3/5
South Aiken 2
Richmond Academy (GA) 0
The Ridge View-Irmo game was a great game. Irmo pounded RV in the back but RV didn't give up a bit. Irmo has great players and they are very well coached. They have all it takes to become #1. Taylor Varney is a great play maker. He gets the ball where ever it needs to be and is always there with the ball. He has fantastic footwork along with speed and a nasty shot. I played club with him for the past 2 years and he has improved a tremendous amount considering he just started playing soccer a few years ago after playing baseball. I enjoyed the game. To bad we got beat.
Fort Mill 7 York 0
Jack,
I will call my bigtime friends at 'The State' and will have you in the sports department by tomorrow morning.
Well.......actually........ I only know our personal delivery paper boy......but he might know somebody who knows somebody.)
'The State' needs someone like you to cover the regular season games and not just cover the championships in May.
'The Greenville News' gives weekly coverage like this to local games, and includes 50 pics of the game which parents and friends can purchase:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080306/PREPSPORTS/803060334/1028
I second the motion by the distinguish gentleman 2004striker

futbol,
I Thank You for that gracious and quite accurate comment.

Quote:

Jack,
I will call my bigtime friends at 'The State' and will have you in the sports department by tomorrow morning.

Not necessary. I have already done freelance work for 'The State' and they were receptive to the prospect of me covering soccer this spring. However, taking 19 hours and coaching fit better with the unfettered atmosphere of SCSoccer.com Media.

I am optimistic about the coverage we've seen so far this year, both here at SCSoccer.com and the various other media outlets.

You guys keep reading/responding and we'll keep writing.
'The State' has zero coverage compared to 'The News'. You are needed There! You have talent. You don't need to waste your time with us lowlifes here! You could be a star! You even used the word 'recalcitrant' in your Dreher/Chapin story. No one has ever done that in a soccer story! And we, here in the forum, cannot begin to appreciate your eloquent writing. You are made for big things!
Let me call my paper boy for you?
Stroker get a life!!!!! You heard the man!!!!!
Sammy L,
What would you say is the symbiotic relationship of Jack's use of the word 'recalcitrant' in the context of his descriptive soccer narrative relative to the nature of the play of Dreher's philosophical method of attack?
Quote:

'The State' has zero coverage compared to 'The News'. You are needed There! You have talent. You don't need to waste your time with us lowlifes here! You could be a star! You even used the word 'recalcitrant' in your Dreher/Chapin story. No one has ever done that in a soccer story! And we, here in the forum, cannot begin to appreciate your eloquent writing. You are made for big things!
Let me call my paper boy for you?

Don't lie to the boy like that Stroke, you'll give him confidence issues.
2,004 Strokes,

Want you share with us all what it means since you are in the presence of a lot of books!!!!
South Pointe over Nation Ford in PK's.

3 PK's were made for South Pointe
2 PK's were made for Nation Ford
Jack - Very well written, but I must admit that I had to consult Webster's with some of those SAT words!
Mauldin 2
Eastside 0
Thursday March 6th
Walhalla 4 Wren 4

Walhalla wins in pk's 4-1
Cardinal Neewman 3
Wilson Hall 1
Carolina Forest - 6
Andrews -1
Walhalla score in pk's was wrong.
Walhalla pk's was 3-1 over Wren
3/6 @ Pendleton

Westside 4
Pendleton 0

Westside led 1-0 at the half based largely off the strong goalkeeping of Sir Charles who made several outstanding saves in the first half. In the second half, the Westside defense clamped down and the bulldog offense dried up. After 15-20 minutes of sustained attack, Westside was awarded a penalty kick which nudged the score to 2-0 before ultimately getting two more in the final 15.
3/6 at Saluda

Gilbert 3
Saluda 2
At Wando, March 6
Wando 1, Bishop England 0 in OT
Palmetto 5 - Southside 3
Thursday, 3/6 at Palmetto on a dry field in cool weather.

Shots on Goal: Palmetto 30 - Southside - 29
Corner Kicks: Palmetto 5 (4 in first half, 1 in second half) - Southside 6 (1 in first half, and 5 in second half)
One Yellow on #12 of Palmetto for rough play.
One PK (successful by #10 of Southside) for a handball in the box by a Pametto defender off a corner kick.

Goals: Palmetto - (3) Mahaffey #8, (1) Ignacio #1, (1) Cruz #10 - Southside (3) #10

Palmetto seemed to control the first twenty minutes of each half and then Southside would rebound as they seemed to have more conditioning and stamina. This should not have been the case as Palmetto subbed frequently and went as deep as 19 players. Palmetto went up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes, then Southside scored with 11:24 remaining in first half. Southside had 9 of its 14 shots on goal of the first half in the last 15 minutes. At the start of the second half, Palmetto again scored quickly taking a 4-1 advantage in the first 3 minutes of the second half. Southside rebounded with far more shots on goal and much more aggressive play in the last 15 minutes of the second half. It was a clean game and very well played by both teams.

Southside is a much improved and well-coached team this year. I look forward to seeing future matches within their region. I believe they will compete for a playoff spot. Palmetto is a much deeper team with more talent than in recent years. They must learn to play the full halves and not get lazy. They have a great goalie (Jr. - Clay Whiten) who bails defensive lapses and covers for mistakes. They should look forward to competing in Region 1 for the title and going deeper in playoffs this year.
does anyone know if some games for today are postponed?
I think Kyle posted a thread on here somewhere for the postponed games.
@Cheraw 5
Marlboro County 1

The Bulldogs wasnt ready for the game mentally.
3/6/2008
Boiling Springs - 3
Greer - 0

BS had to play most of the 2nd half down a man due to a red card incident.
Boiling Springs 3
Greer 0

Boiling Springs played most the second half down a man due to their best player getting a red card.
Sorry, didn't notice the last page.
WADE HAMPTON 1 BLUFFTON 6
VERY GOOD TEAM IN BLUFFTON COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
make up game from 3/7 -

Lexington 4 - 1 Dorman

very windy day...
Boiling Springs - 5
Gaffney - 1
Irmo 6
DF 1

Danny Cates I guess had a rocket of a shot to score.....
At West Ashley
at half 1-1
end of regulation 2-2
Stradford scores in OT for 3-2 win,
Very tough game for both sides. Hard fought game, with about 8 yellow cards given and questionalbe hand ball that takes away a goal for us with less than 3 min to play. But we give up a PK in stoppage and allow them to tie. Good luck to Coach Egnew and Stadford next week.
Quote:

Irmo 6
DF 1

Danny Cates I guess had a rocket of a shot to score.....

Got to see this match, and yea, it was Cates with the goal. It was nice, but unfortunately, it was the lone bright spot for the Silver Foxes all night. Here's a brief recap:

1st half:
Dutch Fork came out of the gate fast, but the game quickly settled down and Irmo controlled possession. Irmo had a lot of chances in the first half, managing to put away two.

2nd half:
Dutch Fork once again came out hard, scoring on a bomb by Danny Cates. However, that goal seemed to have the adverse affect for DF, as it seemingly woke up Irmo. After that goal, Irmo was pretty relentless and had their way putting away a couple and picking up a couple of PKs. The PKs weren't questionable, as the game was getting very chippy...you have to expect that with a cross-town rivalry with the away team winning like that, I guess.

Overall, a very entertaining game with a lot of quality soccer. Irmo has that look and feel about them again, and I believe that they play Spring Valley next Tuesday. Should be a great game, I'm definitely going to try and make it out to the Northeast. Dutch Fork, while a pretty solid team, simply lacks experience. Brighter days are ahead for them.
Does anyone have the score for the NW & valley match?
Was anyone else suprised when they saw dorman's 4-1 loss?
what happened?
The game is not being played until next weekend!
NW & SV was rescheduled for next sat at 7
Westside 4
Pendleton 0

Facundo Arbues 3 goals
Sir Charles Davis 12 saves 1 shut out
From Tuesday night:
Dreher 4-1 over Ridge View
© SC Soccer