SC Soccer
Since we've got a greatest goal thread, how about the best performance you've witnessed by a goalkeeper?

A couple that come to my mind in recent memory were Mike Gustavson (South Aiken) in the '05 AAAA championship and Austin Moody (Irmo) in the '04 AAAA championship.
I've witnessed a nasty save by Michael Flato from Wando on Adam Smunk from Beaufort. Ball was crossed in, Smunk elevated high above everyone else and the ball was heading towards right top corner. But if not for an acrobatic save that required a full body stretch and a stiff arm to put the ball over the goal. pretty insane save
Two of the best have to be Davis Jenkins in the State Final last year. He was just amazing. Then from this year, Greg DeMare against Cardinal Newman. He was very, very good and made several unbelievable saves to win them the game.

But the best ever has to be Gustavson in the '05 Championship. He was a beast! I agree champ04!
Maybe not the absolute greatest, but my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5MgDNt2hwU

Brookland-Cayce over S. Aiken in PKs (2008)
2002 Wando keeper (spacing on his name) survived an absolutely brutal barrage in the championship match to deny Irmo. No saves in particular come to mind (though the goal he allowed was soft [lost footing in a patch of sand]), but he was stellar otherwise.
Quote:

2002 Wando keeper (spacing on his name) survived an absolutely brutal barrage in the championship match to deny Irmo. No saves in particular come to mind (though the goal he allowed was soft [lost footing in a patch of sand]), but he was stellar otherwise.

Chatham Rowe, perhaps?
That's the one!
Not to insult the BC keeper at all but that pk save is not that good.It won them the game though I guess so congrats on that
Matt Abee for Socastee in the 2005 lower state final game against Myrtle Beach. Finished the game with a ruptured spleen from a collision with Myrtle Beach's David Lloyd and still held on for the shutout. Unfortunately wasn't able to feature in the state final game, but I believe they would've won had he played as it finished 3-2 to Eastside (The Socastee player that was in goal let in 3 in the first half, but then scored 2 in the second half when he was put back into the outfield).

Two remarkable (moreso if they'd won) goalkeeper stories in one!
Demare and Weinspach are the two best goalies ive seen for chapin
Quote:

Matt Abee for Socastee in the 2005 lower state final game against Myrtle Beach. Finished the game with a ruptured spleen from a collision with Myrtle Beach's David Lloyd and still held on for the shutout.

DITTO on Abee! I was lucky enough to witness this incredible display of heart.
DOUBLE-DITTOS ON ABEE!!!!

The 2005 Lower State Final was a memorable game and unfortunately the last game for two great young men.
Which two are you referring to?
matt carlisle for northwestern turned back an unbelievable number of shots in 03 AAAA final against irmo even though nhs lost. the next year his hand got kicked and broken in the first half but he never came out.

Freeze,

I am referring to Matt Abee and David Lloyd. Although there were many other players on the field that night who deserve credit, it was the collision between Matt and David that clearly had an impact upon the game and the eventual state championship. I had the privilege of coaching Matt when he was with the “AWESOME” Orange Crush team and I also had the privilege of knowing David via our club (Coastal Soccer). Both of these men are great competitors and come from great families. David was a member of the Coastal University soccer squad and has decided to focus on academics. Matt Abee went to Wofford and has become an outstanding member of their respective student body. I wish them both well and I sincerely hope that they achieve everything that life has to offer them. BTW, David played in the new adult soccer league in Myrtle Beach and his team was the eventual champion.
Did you mean last game of the season or last in high school? If I'm not mistaken, Matt was a junior in the '05 season, so he continued to play for Socastee.

Fun fact: Davey's 3v3 team (which includes former MB standouts John Weaver and RP Benik) went to the national 3v3 tournament earlier this year in Florida and took 2nd in the whole thing.

Off topic, but nice to see some former SC players making a splash on a large scale.
Posted By: sG Re: Best Goalkeeping Performances you've seen - 04/04/08 05:19 AM
wolfgang i second that...03 state championship 4A matt carlise was a beast...20+ saves
Quote:

Matt Abee for Socastee in the 2005 lower state final game against Myrtle Beach. Finished the game with a ruptured spleen from a collision with Myrtle Beach's David Lloyd and still held on for the shutout. Unfortunately wasn't able to feature in the state final game, but I believe they would've won had he played as it finished 3-2 to Eastside (The Socastee player that was in goal let in 3 in the first half, but then scored 2 in the second half when he was put back into the outfield).

------------------------------------------------------------

I graduated from Socastee High School in 2003 and had the honor of meeting and coaching Matt Abee at Socastee when he was just a freshman/sophomore while assisting Coach Suarez. I was present at that fateful Lower-State Final game as well where he played most of the 2nd half with the ruptured spleen. Had Suarez known about it he would have been pulled from the game immediately. But, he made it through and finished the game. As he started to walk towards the bench though he just collapsed. Never(I mean NEVER!) have I seen so much heart and selflessness from an individual so determined to get his team to the final. A truly inspirational leader to the core. It is a shame that the team was not able to capitalize in the final. I would agree that if he had played in that Championship game...it would have had a much different ending. Rarely did he let one get by him as a general rule. I would venture an estimate and say that 85% of the games he started were shutouts. A phenomenal player and an even better person. Definitely among the top goalies from this state in recent history. While Suarez continues to be among the best coaches in the state as well with two trips the State Finals in three years. We shall see what this next season brings us in the end!
Posted By: BamBam Re: Best Goalkeeping Performances you've seen - 04/05/08 01:46 PM
Where is Abee now?
He went to Wofford. I am not sure if he has joined the Soccer Program there or not, I have not seen him in a while. I know he had an interest in doing so but he may be focusing on his education.
davis jenkins was the best goalkeeper i have ever seen in high school soccer and i have been around for many years. he absolutly dominated northwestern in the state final with like 25 saves!
Posted By: ??? Re: Best Goalkeeping Performances you've seen - 04/07/08 12:28 AM
Abee doesnt play at Wofford but im sure he could
Obviously you have never seen Goose play.
Henry, I think that springvalleyisnumber1 is a Lexington student/player, who is trying to draw attention away from his posts about Lexington by posting something about Spring Valley and the fact that his name has to do with Spring Valley.
Oh okay. Makes sense I guess.
yeah you caught me this is reel sorry
Posted By: ehs1 Re: Best Goalkeeping Performances you've seen - 04/07/08 10:19 PM
sv#1
1st jenkins was good but goose was out of his leauge
and if ur goin 2 try and spoof someone at least try 2 make it credible and if u knew reel at all u would know he wouldnt post on a message board
yea davis had an unbelievable game in the state championship last year and deserves all the credit in the world but for you to say he's the best you've seen in twenty five years is a little ridiculous. he didn't start on his club team his senior year behind dutch fork keeper jason mccabe. but i do agree with you that davis's state championship performance was an incredible display of ability. however, goose is the best keeper i've ever seen while watching high school soccer.
ehs1 it was a joke about reel i guess i didnt make it obvious enough my bad, and who said the best in 25 years i didnt i said 25 saves!
Beauforts Erik mozzo is pretty sick. he last year he defended all of west ashleys pk attempts as well as just being a great all around goalie. this year he stopped most of stratfords pk's
© SC Soccer