SC Soccer
Posted By: kickman 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 06:10 PM
I've been uninvolved for a while, but I plan to make my annual 1A/2A playoff projections and suggest others do the same. Remember that these classes are seeded by committee like the NCAA basketball tourney, so its a little more fun then the larger classes. In preparation, the first issue I have noticed is that Indian Land got bumped from the rankings in favor of Blackville-Hilda while Governor's School moved up to 4. Why did this happen despite the fact that Indian Land did not lose that week, Indian Land has beaten Governor's School, and Blackville Hilda has no quality wins? Probably because someone was ticked off about Indian Land putting 20 on Great Falls and wanted to make a point. Whoever that is, please be consistent and knock Academic Magnet out for putting up 15 in a grudge match and 16 the same week Indian Land put up 20. If Academic Magnet is better than Indian Land than they should be able to hold their scores down and should be judged more harshly, not less harshly. Ultimately the decision made the rankings a joke, but don't worry I will soon correct it with my own rankings.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 06:20 PM
alright KICKMAN...lets see your projections buudy, im interested on what you think
Posted By: kickman Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 06:44 PM
Here it is for 1A:
Upperstate:
1. Southside Christian
2. Christ Church
3. Indian Land
4. Greenville Tech
5. Dixie
6. Landrum
7. Fox Creek
8. Great Falls
9. North
10. Ware Shoals
11. Lewisville
I don't think anyone will seriously challenge SSC or CC, although I wish there would be a playoff game involving GT and IL. SSC is for real this year, but I think nerves will undo them and CC will again prevail in the Upperstate Final.

Lowerstate:
1. Academic Magnet
2. Governor's School
3. Lincoln
4. Blackville-Hilda
5. Bamberg
6. Military Magnet
7. Branchville
8. Hardeeville
9. Scott's Branch
No one will come close to Academic Magnet, including in the state final. This is their year. Governor's School should handle any other 1A team. Teams 3-8 are pretty close. Lincoln has a terrible record with some bad losses, but if you just look at their 1A record they are still pretty solid at that level with the only losses being to AM that will beat every 1A team. Lincoln solidly beat Military Magnet who beat Branchville, and Lincoln beat BV twice with only one being close. Blackville-Hilda scraped by Branchville and then won in PKs for essentially a tie. BH barely beat Bamberg and could swap after their last meeting. Military Magnet may justifiably jump BH and Bamberg to 4 based on 1A competition with 2 wins over Branchville, but I don't think so. Hardeeville is an unknown with very few games posted. Overall, the playoff games not involving AM should all be good competitive games.
Posted By: Obadiah 15 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 07:45 PM
I assume that 1A and 2A combined in the boys bracket like the girls or are they seperated? How are the seedings determined?
Posted By: Nistelrooy11 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 08:22 PM
kickman you sound like you play for AM by the way you talk about them
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 08:32 PM
1A and 2A are seperated...it is interesting how the seeding works. 1A and 2A soccer is the only high school sport where seeding is like this. In this type of seeding, every game matters. Region is no more important than any other game. Because when the two best teams havnt played eachother, you have to look at their common opponents regardless of their region record. It is pretty cool. All classifications should be like this.
Posted By: Sean Vick Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/23/08 09:28 PM
Actually, tennis is like this as well.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 02:08 AM
Interesting, thank you for the insite on the subject coach Vick
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 03:21 AM
Well, as for Hardeeville, they were unfortunate to get little amount of games, as they are a very good talented squad. had they had more games, could have shown some of the people what they have down there. I also agree that AM will probably get the whole thing. I will comment on 2A once you get your projections up
Posted By: Soccer 08 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 12:46 PM
Just for your information -

The seeding lineup (who plays who) in the AA handbook is incorrect. I spoke with the AA President and the region representative, and both said that they are working to correct the lineup to be an accurate 1-16 bracket.

Actual seedings will be done on Friday, May 2 at 10:00 AM by one coach from each Region. The seeding criteria are: Overall Record, Head to Head Regular Season, and Strength of Schedule.
Posted By: BHSsoccer Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 12:50 PM
Also just for your information.

Tournament games do not count and games that go into PK's are considered ties.
Posted By: Soccer 08 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 12:52 PM
Here are my AA Prodictions - BUT, there still are a couple of games left this final week that could determine seedings.
Also, keep in mind that the seeding committee does not like to put Region teams against each other in first round. With that adjustment in mind:

UPPER STATE:
1 - Walhalla
2 - Emerald
3 - Batesburg Leesville
4 - Palmetto
5 - Southside
6 - Gilbert
7 - Saluda
8 - Woodruff
9 - West Oak
10 - Carolina
11 - Pendleton
12 - Mid Carolina
13 - Broome
14 - Ninety Six
15 - Abbeville
16 - Newberry

LOWER STATE:
1 - Bishop England
2 - Waccamaw
3 - Andrew Jackson
4 - Silver Bluff
5 - Barnwell
6 - Wade Hampton
7 - Marion
8 - Dillon
9 - Hanahan
10 - Edisto
11 - Andrews
12 - Buford
13 - Burke
14 - Ridgeland
15 - Cheraw
16 - Aynor
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 03:27 PM
just to add for the 2A predictions; Loris boys will be playing in the tournament as well and are not seeded in lower state. They did beat Marion in the region and Mullins 2x. They play Aynor tomorrow night but lost to them the first time playing. They could split with them if they win.
Posted By: Soccer 08 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 03:35 PM
Quote:

Loris boys will be playing in the tournament as well and are not seeded in lower state. They did beat Marion in the region and Mullins 2x. They play Aynor tomorrow night but lost to them the first time playing. They could split with them if they win.

As I said earlier, there are still games that could make a difference in seedings. ALSO - not all teams report their records until they send them in with their registration for tournament. As of Monday, many of the teams did not have all their scores posted on SCSOCCER.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 04:13 PM
And also if they were to get selected. You just dont apply and automatically get in, unless not enough teams apply
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 05:05 PM
So soccer 08, Walhalla is the best team in the upperstate???

I strongly disagree and i also think that Palmetto is the number one team in the nation...They are a proud breed you know
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 05:48 PM
so in 2A you have to qualify for the playoffs? i was told that it is automatic and you don't have to qualify as long as you pay the fee. How does it work as it is believed where we are at that any team can play if they send their entry form and pay the fee. Help here...I know for 2A girls it is a different story as not many teams play in this class.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 05:53 PM
From what i know........and that is not much, so dont put my post in stone. there's 32 spots available in the playoffs, 16 for upper state and 16 for lower state. Most years, only 14-15 teams apply and get in bcuz there's not enough teams to fill out the whole, so you have cases where the 1-2 seeds get a 1st round bye. Now, what happens when 18 lower state teams apply for the playoffs? my assumption is that the committee looks at all their resumes and picks the top 16 teams based on records, strength of schedule, and all the other things they look at for seeding. Thats what i believe works.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/24/08 06:30 PM
okay-i guess that is what he is banking on then that not enough teams apply to play; i guess that is what happened last year. However, if Aynor loses to Loris tomorrow then Loris will have a better record than Aynor, I believe. Thanks for the clarification...I guess we will see May 2 when it is done. But what you said makes sense...
Posted By: Cap'n Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/25/08 12:58 PM
The number of 2A teams has grown in the past few years. I fully expect that there will be 16 upperstate teams, if not more this season. This is my 8th season coaching and Pendleton has made the playoffs each year and I've never heard of a fee. I don't think a pay-to-play situation would be legal (other than referee fees). Different teams may decide to participate or not participate for different reasons. Occassionally a scenario occurs where teams with poorer records will actually play whereas a team with a slightly better record will not. New programs or younger teams may elect to expose their players to playoff soccer whereas more veteran programs who've perhaps had a very disappointing season elect not to.

I'm not going to complete a list of playoff projections but I'd be pleasantly surprised if we received the 11 seed. The loss to Abbeville Monday leaves us tied for 4/5th in the region and while our nonconference schedule has been largely against 3 and 4A schools we don't have the wins to support that high a seed. I think more than likely we're looking at a 13 or 14 and having to travel to an Emerald or B-L where we have an hour and a half trip.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/26/08 03:55 PM
In regards to MC #8, so the palmetto cup nor the lake murray challenge count either??? I was under the impression that the Palmetto Cup was the exception to other tournaments, and it does count on teams records. If anyone knows could they please answer because that makes a huge difference for a lot of teams.
Posted By: Sean Vick Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/27/08 07:42 PM
For seeding in the playoffs, only regular season matches count. If there is a need for a "tie breakers" and the two teams played in a tournament, that may be used, but a coach is to only submit their regular season matches for playoff consideration.
Posted By: AtownSoccer Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 12:20 PM
How can you put Pendleton 4 seeds ahead of Abbeville when we were tied for 4th in the region, had the same region record, split the season series but Pendleton's win was 2-1 and Abbeville's was 4-0?
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 12:26 PM
Dillon beat Marion last night 4-2 which put Dillon ahead of Marion. They clinched the 2nd the spot in the Region 7-2A and sitting 9-2. They play Mullins tonight for their last game, so I would think they would jump ahead of Marion for the seedings. This is the first team in 4 years at Dillon as the school stopped fielding a team.
Great Job Dillon!
Posted By: GSE o CesC o Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 01:59 PM
Is 1A even real soccer, c'mon be real
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 02:22 PM
Achmed seen many dumb post, but since Achmed sees no "smiley", Achmed think this dumbest.

Is Northwestern even real soccer?
In the galatical perspective, I think not!
Even in SouthEastern perspective.
However, SpringValley appears to be.
Posted By: GSE o CesC o Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 02:31 PM
That's way over my head Boss. Sorry we aren't on the same intellectual level. Anyways but if you could respond more clearly...1A is a joke, is it not?
Posted By: beachfan Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 02:54 PM
There are some weak teams in 1A, but there are some that are quite good - Christ Church, Academic Magnet, Southside. In the past Lincoln had some very good, athletic teams. It is hard with enrollments of 600 or less students to put out teams that compare to schools with 2000-3000 students. That being said, any of the 3 above have the potential to hold their own against most bigger schools.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 03:06 PM
Like beachfan said, there are teams in 1a that can compete with the upper echelon of teams in the state. But 1a are the small school, and do you really expect them to be in the same level as NW or SV, or even BC and BE?? ALso, most 1a schools are in rural areas, where the only soccer available is HS or maybe rec. SO no it's not a joke by any means. And Achmed make a great point
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 03:07 PM
AA Lower State Seeding

1. Waccamaw
2. Bishop England
3. Silver Bluff
4. Andrew Jackson
5. Barnwell
6. Hanahan
7. Hampton
8. Andrews
9. Buford
10. Dillon
11. Marion
12. Burke
13. Edisto
14. Cheraw
15. Loris
16. Ridgeland

This is just my veiw on how the seeding should be. **OPINION**
Posted By: Coach D Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 03:35 PM
Quote:

That's way over my head Boss. Sorry we aren't on the same intellectual level. Anyways but if you could respond more clearly...1A is a joke, is it not?

You seem to miss the whole reason for high school sports.
It's more than just winning and playing for the state. Players learn to work together for a common goal. They sacrifice for their teamates on and off the field. They tone their bodies and minds for the love of the game. They take pride in their accomplishments and learn from their failures. They push themselves beyond their known limits. All of these things help them the rest of their lives. High school sports help build character and is not discrimatory at any of the levels of competition.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 03:41 PM
Hey ATOWNSOCCER...you make a very good point you guys are just as good or better than Pendleton and Abbeville is more deserving of a higher seed
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 03:54 PM
Quote:

That's way over my head Boss. Sorry we aren't on the same intellectual level.

Achmed gets that a lot
Posted By: Soccer 08 Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 04:18 PM
Quote:

How can you put Pendleton 4 seeds ahead of Abbeville when we were tied for 4th in the region, had the same region record, split the season series but Pendleton's win was 2-1 and Abbeville's was 4-0?

Hey - Atown,
The problem is that Abbeville has not posted all of their scores, as many teams have not. If you look at the scores that have been turned into SCSOCCER and the standings of Region 1. Abbeville is still in 5th place behind Walhalla, Palmetto, Pendleton and West Oak.
ALSO - the second match where you beat Pendleton was after the original posting of predicted seedings.
The post was just that - "Predicted Seedings" - at that date and with all of the available information. The final seedings will be made on Friday. At that meeting of the SCHSL, all of the regular season games and scores will be turned in.
Abbeville may indeed receive a higher seeding in Upper State.
Posted By: FCsoccer Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 04/29/08 06:58 PM
For 1A upperstate it will be Southside Christian, they have already beat CC twice and a third game will be a great match-up, but still going to lean toward Southside.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 05/01/08 12:42 AM
yeah FC...this is gonna be southside christians year

p.s. that games going to be a holy war against christ church
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 05/01/08 12:59 AM
Quote:

yeah FC...this is gonna be southside christians year

p.s. that games going to be a holy war against christ church

Possibly, but CC knows how to play come playoff time. It's very hard to beat a team three times in one season.

If SSC does win, this could be the first of a few championships for them as their team is very young.
Posted By: ??? Re: 1A/2A Playoff Projections - 05/01/08 01:40 AM
yea they are very young...they have a lot of sophomores i believe
© SC Soccer