SC Soccer
A beautiful day on the pitch at Stone Stadium, as the A Boys Championship match is underway ...
Two very solid teams but I have a feeling the Raptors will capture Academic Magnet's first ever state championship in any sport. On the pitch or on the hardcourt, Hagerty is one of my favorite high school athletes.
We've played 15 minutes, with play leaning towards CCES. Here are partial statistics from the Class A Final:

Academic Magnet 0:0 Christ Church

Shots: AM 0, CCES 1;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 1, CCES (Christopher Woody) 0;
Corners: AM 0, CCES 3;
Offsides: AM 0, CCES 1;
Fouls: AM 1, CCES 4;
We've played a half-hour, with a scoreless draw still in progress. Play has evened up with good opportunities to both squads.

Shots: AM 2, CCES 1;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 1, CCES (Christopher Woody) 0;
Corners: AM 1, CCES 4;
Offsides: AM 0, CCES 1;
Fouls: AM 1, CCES 4;

To my friends at The Cock n Bull, PLAY UP POMPEY!!! Europe bound as FA Cup Champions with a 1:0 victory over Cardiff City!!!
Here are your halftime statistics from Stone Stadium, with the score still 0:0 ...

Shots: AM 2, CCES 2;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 1, CCES (Christopher Woody) 1;
Corners: AM 1, CCES 4;
Offsides: AM 0, CCES 2;
Fouls: AM 3, CCES 7;

Play has evened up, and CCES had an excellent opportunity and perceived goal called back on an offsides call (which appeared to be close, but correct). Nice match after 40 minutes played.
One hour played, and play has picked up. Both teams efforts are improving, as is the pace. Neither team holds the advantage at this time.

Shots: AM 4, CCES 3;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 1, CCES (Christopher Woody) 1;
Corners: AM 2, CCES 5;
Offsides: AM 0, CCES 2;
Fouls: AM 6, CCES 10
We are on 70 minutes now. The best opportunities of the day come within a minute of each other, each for Academic Magnet. Alex Herlocker was just inside the penalty spot and put it on the frame. But Christopher Woody made a great play and punched it away. The ball ended up about 25 yards out and after some brief play, Allan Dapore struck from 30 yards just wide of the post to the left. On the counter, Christ Church's Michael Brearley struck well from 30 yards, and Alex Rieflen made a diving save to avert disaster. The subsequent corner was uneventful. An action packed final half...

Shots: AM 7, CCES 6;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 2, CCES (Christopher Woody) 3;
Corners: AM 3, CCES 6;
Offsides: AM 1, CCES 6;
Fouls: AM 6, CCES 13
Free Football, ladies and gentlemen! The Raptors had a free kick awarded and subsequent corner kick in the last 20 seconds, but were unable to convert as the ball was cleared by the Cavalier's defense. Two 10 minute overtimes to follow!

Academic Magnet 0:0 Christ Church (80 minutes played)

Shots: AM 8, CCES 8;
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 2, CCES (Christopher Woody) 4;
Corners: AM 4, CCES 6;
Offsides: AM 1, CCES 5;
Fouls: AM 6, CCES 15
After 90 minutes, still 0:0; It is going to get very busy with the trophy presentations to follow so we will post what we can, when we can. Thanks for your patience!
100 minutes played, and CCES held the advantage in the first overtime. Still 0:0; Golden Goal overtimes coming up...
Thanks for the updates! Do you know what time the 4A game starts?
4A starts at 7'ish, as we are behind somewhat ...
Final score for AMHS vs CC?
Final stats from the Class A championship will follow shortly, as we are catching up. Final score, in penalty kicks, was CCES 1:0 (3:1) Academic Magnet.
On 7' in the AA Championship, with most of the play in the BE attacking third, Joseph Santos finds a ball at his feet and rifles a shot from 12 yards. Emerald keeper Charles Lambour gets a glove on it, but it isn't enough.

Bishop England 1:0 Emerald
B-E continues to dominate play. A cross by Joseph Santos finds the head of Jorge Villamizar, which is placed neatly into the back of the net on 14 minutes. Bishop England are firing on all cylinders ...

Bishop England 2:0 Emerald
who called the 14-0 win for BE? Looks like they might be right...
how much time has passed in the AA game?
as of 2:48 14 min. so as of now at 2:57 i would say somewhere around the 23 min mark
Match Statistics for the Class A Boys Championship:

Academic Magnet 0:1 (1:3) Christ Church

Shots: AM 15, CCES 17;
Goal: Bobby James (Match winnner in spot kicks)
Saves: AM (Alex Rieflin) 7, CCES (Christopher Woody) 8;
Corners: AM 7, CCES 8;
Offsides: AM 1, CCES 5;
Fouls: AM 7, CCES 17;

Spot Kicks:
AM - Travis Farnham (shot was saved);
CC - Dominik Reindl (scored);
AM - Alex Rieflinn (shot was saved);
CC - Josh Shaw (shot was saved);
AM - Harris Goodwin (shot was saved);
CC - Bobby James (scored);
AM - Lucas Hagerty (scored);
CC - Michael Brearley (scored);
5th kick was not necessary

Officials: Andy Balfour (R), Kevin McLear (R), Ralf Anderson (AR), Scott Mehle (4th), Bob DeMailly (Timer);

Weather: Sunny, 85°; A gorgeous day for the championships!

Match winning goal was scored by the third CCES shooter, Bobby James; The win was sealed on the fourth shot by Michael Brearley, who made the lead insurmountable in penalties. Christopher Woody made three saves in the shootout for CCES, while Alex Rieflinn saved one for the Raptors. It is a shame one of these teams had to lose.
Thirty minutes have now been played: BE 2:0 EHS; Emerald
Halftime: Bishop England 2:0 Emerald

Shots: BE 10, EHS 1
Saves: BE (Brandon Costa) 0, EHS (Charles Lambour) 2;
Corners: BE 9, EHS 0;
Offsides: BE 1, EHS 0;
Fouls: BE 11, EHS 11;

Emerald have picked up their play, but most of the match is being played right in their back yard.
GOAL! On 48 minutes, scored by David LeBlanc after a nifty chest to foot leave by Eric Rastogi from near the spot.

Bishop England 3:0 Emerald
We've played an hour. Emerald have had a couple chances, but it has been all Bishops today.

Bishop England 3:0 Emerald

Shots: BE 17, EHS 1
Saves: BE (Brandon Costa) 0, EHS (Charles Lambour) 4;
Corners: BE 10, EHS 0;
Offsides: BE 2, EHS 1;
Fouls: BE 17, EHS 14;

Emerald have picked up their play, but most of the match is being played right in their back yard.
George Khoury scores shortly after the previous post to add to the Bishop's tally ... on 61 minutes.

BE 4:0 Emerald
Final score, BE 4:0 Emerald. Back shortly ...
AAA match is now underway ... statistics from the last match to follow shortly.
AAA State Championship match: Almost 12 minutes in, a Chapin cross finds an open Evan DeYoung who heads in on frame. Riverside keeper Ian Rose makes a diving save to his left, and the ball is cleared by Riverside. Play is rapid and each team is countering nicely.
AA Boys State Championship Statistics

Bishop England 4:0 Emerald

Goals: BE Joseph Santos (7'), Jorge Villamizar (14'), David LeBlanc (48'), George Khoury (61');
Assists: Santos, Eric Rastogi;
Shots: BE 24, EHS 1
Saves: BE (Brandon Costa) 0, EHS (Charles Lambour) 8;
Corners: BE 12, EHS 0;
Offsides: BE 4, EHS 2;
Fouls: BE 19, EHS 1;

Officials: Josh Rownd (R), PReston Shealy (AR), A.J. Rownd (AR), John Rownd (4th), Bob DeMailly,(Timer);

Weather: Beautiful, 85°
Half hour played. Riverside's Tyler Stanbro has a great opportunity near the edge of the penalty box from about 25 yards which struck the left post and came back into play. The rebound went wide. Subsequently, Chapin counters, and the penalty is given as a player is brought down in the box (my view was blocked at the time as I was posting the half-hour results). Chapin's David Slaughter calmly nails the penalty, and the Eagles strike first.

Halftime score: Chapin 1:0 Riverside
FWIW - The wi-fi here has been sporadic the past twenty-thirty minutes ... we will post as best we can.
Corner given to Riverside, taken by Matt Sluga, sent into the box and headed home by Russell Mudge to equalize for the Warriors on 49'.

Chapin 1:1 Riverside
Action is really heating up with three bookings in the second half and very aggressive play. It's a heckuva match, folks.

One hour played, the score Chapin 1:1 Riverside.
Riverside have had the better of the play this second half, as we approach 10 to play. The wood work have been unkind to the Warriors as they've had one shot off the crossbar and two off the post. However Haze Weinspach just hammered an opportunity wide to the right of Ian Rose's goal. The last 10 minutes have been about 60-40 to Chapin.
Great crowd of maybe 2500, great atmosphere for this AAA championship match. Chapin have had the better of play since the last post. Two corners given and nice work in the goal by Ian Rose to force them. Nearing 5 to play with a 1:1 scoreline.
We are in overtime. The wi-fi has not been steady so we've gotten back online as best we could. What a match ... 1:1.
The frame continues to be unkind to Riverside, as Chuck King hits a beauty from about 15 yards out and it tags the crossbar. Chapin had two shots in OT to Riverside's one, and we have had 10 per side. Second overtime getting underway -- Chapin 1:1 Riverside
hittin' the woodwork 4 times should equal a goal. King may have put a dent in the crossbar...the refs should check that out.
Golden goal overtimes begin... 1:1
Since NW and SV have arrived, there must be 3500 to 4000 here ... what atmosphere!
Second golden goal period underway.
Match Statistics for the AAA Boys Championship

Riverside 2:1 (4:3) Chapin

Goals: C - David Slaughter (34'), R - Russell Mudge (49'), Aaron Peter (Match winner in spot kicks);
Shots: C 11, R 11;
Saves: C (Greg De Mare) 2; R (Ian Rose) 2;
Corners: C 3, R 5;
Offsides: C 1, R 1;
Fouls: C 29, R 15;

Spot Kicks:

C - Haze Weinspach (shot was saved);
R - Chuck King (scored);
C - Joey De Mare (scored);
R - Jesse Donald (shot was saved);
C - Greg De Mare (shot was saved);
R - Stephen Painter (scored);
C - Alex Cruz (scored);
R - Nick Castro (scored);
C - David Stone (scored);
R - Aaron Peter (scored);

Officials: Bob Wern (R), Wayne Pavlischek (AR), Jeff Hearn (AR), Bucky Jones (4th), Barry Kemp (Timer);

Weather: Sunny and 80­°
AAAA match underway here at Stone Stadium, and looks to be another great crowd of 3 - 4 thousand ... 10 minutes played and it has been on the Northwestern attacking third. Three shots to nil, thus far, to NW.
Without question, Northwestern have had the better of the play. Here are the statistics after a half-hour of play:

Spring Valley 0:0 Northwestern

Shots: SV 1, NHS 6
Saves: SV (Will Frierson) 1, NHS (Ryan Foster) 0;
Corners: SV 1, EHS 6;
Offsides: SV 0, NHS 0;
Fouls: SV 4, NHS 5;

Weather: Clear, 75°
GO SV! thanks for the updates Dave
Halftime .... 0:0

We'll get some stats as soon as we can. But most folks who would be posting or watching might be here
Oh!!! Please keep posting updates...really wanted to attend but had to be in Greensboro for another son's semi-final state cup game...ran out of steam upon arriving at home...so I am stuck with having to hit the 'refresh' button every minute and "watch" from home...
lol i am across the street. decided not to go to the game not sure why.
50 minutes played, still mostly in favor of the Trojans.

Spring Valley 0:0 Northwestern

Shots: SV 1, NHS 13
Saves: SV (Will Frierson) 2, NHS (Ryan Foster) 0;
Corners: SV 3, NHS 9;
Offsides: SV 1, NHS 3;
Fouls: SV 7, NHS 6;

Weather: Clear, 75°
Will Frierson is the Valley's Man of the Match thus far. He handled it just outside the box -- could have been dangerous a few minutes ago and gave NW a free kick with potential for disaster, but it was averted.
Any real good chances for NW?

How is Enzo doing?
GOAL on 62'! Ricardo Garabanzo from Enzo Martinez ... the deadlock has been broken.

Spring Valley 0:1 Northwestern
Many, many opportunities to the Trojans thus far. The Valley's keeper, Will Frierson, has been a stalwart defender in the net for the Lower State champions.
Five minutes to play and the Valley are mounting a challenge for that equalizer.

Spring Valley 0:1 Northwestern

Shots: SV 3, NHS 18
Saves: SV (Will Frierson) 3, NHS (Ryan Foster) 1;
Corners: SV 3, NHS 10;
Offsides: SV 3, NHS 3;
Fouls: SV 8, NHS 9;

Weather: Clear, 70°
Enzo seals the deal and works it around Frierson for a 2:0 lead with under a minute to play now.
Great updates... Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!!
Thanks for the props. It was a pleasure to try and keep everyone informed.

Match Statistics for the AAAA Boys Championship

Spring Valley 0:2 Northwestern

Goals: NHS - Ricardo Garabanzo (62'), Enzo Martinez (79')
Assists: NHS - Martinez
Shots: SV 4, NHS 19
Saves: SV (Will Frierson) 3, NHS (Ryan Foster) 1;
Corners: SV 3, NHS 10;
Offsides: SV 3, NHS 3;
Fouls: SV 8, NHS 9;

Officials: Jack Collins (R), Francisco Vasquez (AR), Mike Walters (AR), Paul Dungan (4th), Barry Kemp (Timer)

Weather: Clear, 70°
Well done boys, well done. I hate that I had to miss it but it sounds like it was a great game. Good job to every team today, especially the winners!

Go Trojans!!!
And the series goes to Northwestern. The stat sheet show domination. The freshman Ricky Garbanzo stepped up while Enzo did what he does best. Spring Valley reminds me of the New England Patriots don't you think?
No i don't...SV neither cheats nor plays football but good try...Northwestern reminds me of the Boston Red Sox...terrible for the longest time and they have a couple of great years and the whole world has to know about it, don't you think?
A COUPLE of great years!?!? HAHA. Someone with access to the archives tell us how many times NW has been in the finals the past 10 years.
hahahahaha...that is funny...not
Question for those at the Game... How do they track shots? We saw many shots not counted on SV side, and similar one's actually counted on NW? I'm not disputing that NW had more shots, but could not understand how they were being counted, or not counted.
Don't you think they just got showed up in the state championship? Weren't they undefeated? Oh yeah, they were. And they do play football, and if you consider the player issues they have, that could be considered cheating, interesting eh?
pipe down mr. bassett. and good work mr. easley...you are no Tommy Smyth but it was nonetheless appreciated.
Thankfully, he is no Tommy Smyth. I'd also like to say thanks for the live updates.
Congrats to Northwestern on winning a fine game. Also, congrats to Spring Valley on a fine season. Both teams came to play and put everything they had into the game. I was impressed with the size of SV and the speed of NW. Much of the game NW was on the attack and it seemed it was only a matter of time before they put one in the back of the net. Holland was lightening when he got the ball and was certainly a threat on the pitch. NW is not a one man show, but Enzo is a stellar player.
Post deleted by SWEEPER2
Well I have access to some archives if you're interested. And if we're going to compare teams, I'd like to join in...

Northwestern: Made Finals 5 out of past 23 years, won twice. Before that, you ask? NOTHING. Nada, zip, zilch....Didn't make finals EVER until 2003.

Irmo: Made finals 20 out of past 25 years, won THIRTEEN times. Want more details? Champions in 1982, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004.

I hope these details answer your question, and if you would like more details about how much better than you Irmo is, all you have to do is ask!
Quote:

A COUPLE of great years!?!? HAHA. Someone with access to the archives tell us how many times NW has been in the finals the past 10 years.

Northwestern Playoff History "A Legend in Their Own Mind"??????

Year Round Opponent Result
1986 1st at Eastside L 0-7
1987 1st at North Augusta L 0-3
1989 1st vs Brookland Cayce W 2-1
1989 Quarters at North Augusta L 1-7
1990 1st vs Eastside L 1-4
1991 1st vs Wade Hampton W 4-1
1991 Quarters vs Eastside W 1-0
1991 Semis at Irmo L 0-5
1992 1st vs Lexington L 2-4
1995 1st vs Spartanburg W 2-1
1995 2nd at Brookland Cayce L 1-2
1996 1st Bye
1996 2nd vs Spartanburg L 0-2
1997 1st Bye
1997 2nd vs Dorman W 1-0
1997 Quarters at TL Hanna L 2-3
1998 1st Bye
1998 2nd vs Easley L 0-1
1999 1st vs Lexington L 2-3
2000 1st vs Spartanburg L 0-1
2001 1st at Aiken L 0-1
2002 1st Bye
2002 2nd vs Aiken W 2-1
2002 Quarters at Dorman L 1-3
2003 1st vs North Augusta W 3-0
2003 2nd vs TL Hanna W 3-1
2003 Quarters vs South Aiken W 1-0
2003 Semis vs Aiken W 2-1
2003 Finals vs Irmo L 0-1
2004 1st vs Boiling Springs W 5-0
2004 2nd vs Mauldin W 5-2
2004 Quarters vs TL Hanna W 2-1
2004 Semis vs Spring Valley W 1-0
2004 Finals vs Irmo L 1-2
2005 1st vs Easley W 8-0
2005 2nd vs Mauldin W 2-0
2005 Quarters vs North Augusta W 2-1
2005 Semis vs South Aiken L 1-3
2006 1st vs North Augusta W 6-0
2006 2nd at Greenwood W 6-1
2006 Quarters at Lexington W 2-0
2006 Semis at Mauldin W 2-1
2006 Finals vs Spring Valley W 1-0
2007 1st vs White Knoll W 9-2
2007 2nd vs TL Hanna W 8-0
2007 Quarters vs Lexington W 4-0
2007 Semis vs Mauldin W 6-2
2007 Finals vs Spring Valley L 2-3
2008 1st vs Hillcrest W 10-0
2008 2nd vs Lexington W 3-0
2008 Quarters at Dorman W 4-1
2008 Semis at Irmo W 2-1
Ooops
2008 Final at the G'yard NW 2 - SV 0
Great game played by both teams. Northwestern did step up to the plate a little bit more than Valley could and had a lot of opportunities. Outstanding game by Valley's Keeper Will Frierson!
NW played a great game and was definitely the better team on the night. Well deserved win.

Great season for The Valley - quite a run they had.

Bassett You're a classless buffoon, unworthy of the team you support.
HappyDaddy not so happy now???
Quote:

Well I have access to some archives if you're interested. And If we're going to compare teams, I'd like to join in...

Northwestern: Made Finals 5 out of past 23 years, won twice. Before that, you ask? NOTHING. Nada, zip, zilch, you sucked... Didn't make finals EVER until 2003.

Irmo: Made finals 20 out of past 25 years, won THIRTEEN times. Want more details? Champions in 1982, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004.

I hope these details answer your question, and if you would like more details about how much better than you Irmo is, all you have to do is ask!

Northwestern currently has been more dominant over the past several years or so. Irmo is obviously the most dominant team ever in SC and has been virtually forever but has been in a "slump" the past several years.

Nobody needs that explanation you pap!

Northwestern currently has been more dominant over the past several years or so. Irmo is obviously the most dominant team ever in SC and has been virtually forever but has been in a "slump" the past several years.

Nobody needs that explanation you pap!

Give me a Break!!!! You don't dominate until you play a real schedule...

...Northwestern plays NOBODY until they get to the playoffs! (well...they did play an excellent Chapin team earlier and of course #1 SV)

...You are probably right on an undefeated regular season for NW in 2009.....but who are you going to play

keep running up the stats and the score and you will remain a legend in your own mind!
I cant help but feel that he only reason that these schools are dominate is because that they recurite som much. During my days at club soccer with some of the kids, I know parents that would move their home in order for their kids to be on certain teams.

idk but because of this i will always pull for the underdog.
My point was they have been great more than a "couple of years"... never tried to compare them to Irmo. Making it to every 4A championship since 2003, except one, is worthy of respect.
I just watched two great soccer teams play. My son's team lost. I'm not happy about that. I'm proud of the season they had. I'm very happy about the quality of SC soccer. I'm unhappy that some people have to behave like punks on this forum. NW is a great team and they play hard, clean, attractive soccer. Some of their supporters on this forum do those boys a disservice by disrespecting their opponents in a way that I doubt very much the NW players would appreciate. That's all I have to say - now on to Regionals!
THEY WON THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP YOU TART!!!

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for a team to play tougher teams during the regular season so they can be more prepared for playoffs??? You are basically going against your point making you look dumb.
And they can't help their region. They had a pretty could non-region schedule this year, wouldn't you say?
Henry, You and Bassett really should watch your misuse of the King's language.

Your UK urban talk on the board rivals some of the domestic and foreign 4-letter words we have heard on the field during the heat of battle.
Rabble rabble rabble...
There are 2 things that need to be said about this game:
1) Enzo is a Magician
2) It was total domination from start to finish
Quote:

And they can't help their region. They had a pretty could non-region schedule this year, wouldn't you say?

What?????????? did you just say?

I agree that NW is a very talented team and applaud them on their Championship...But, I still feel for the smaller schools that they play during the regular season. Running up your stats and the score is not what you call "Class".

"WhatDoesitMatter" pretty much hit the nail on the head.
about the AAA game, i dont know if anyone said this but slugga, 13 for riverside, i thought he played really well and AAAA, that garbonzo kid for northwestern is gonna be good
Okay if you knew what you were talking about it would be nice. What more do you want?? Lake Murray Challenge, Lexington, Spring Valley, Dorman. That was their whole non-region schedule. Those are pretty solid teams, right???

And what do you want them to do??? Sit their starters and/or not play to their potential??? They always play with class and play hard. Their largest win this season was 11-0. That doesn't seem too "classless".

You keep digging a deeper hole for yourself!!!
Ive seen a couple post saying how good SV's keeper was and how he was very good in the goal today but if NW had so many opportunities then how did he only have 3 saves? I cant believe that NW had 18 shots and the SV keeper only had 3 saves. CLARIFICATION ANYBODY!!!!!
too many NW groupies...

but anyways,
the AAA game was a great game to watch. I feel as though that PK was questionable but it could have gone either way. Riverside looked to be a tad bit better i thought.

the AAAA game wasnt as good. NW did what they did last year (ton of shots but no goal) but they put one in this time and won.
Quote:

about the AAA game, i dont know if anyone said this but slugga, 13 for riverside, i thought he played really well and AAAA, that garbonzo kid for northwestern is gonna be good

yeah, that #13 kid was fun to watch. very quick and nice moves!
THERES ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN....
WE'RE WALKIN ALONG....
SINGIN A SONG....
WALKIN IN A TROJAN WONDERLAND!

WE'RE WALKIN ALONG....
SINGIN A SONG....
WALKIN IN A TROJAN WONDERLAND!
Too many Northwestern haters as well Nemco. Sorry you couldn't beat them when you were in high school.
HappyDaddy, bitter just a tad aren't we?
I would also like to say what a great game goalkeeper Wil Frierson had. I don't know where the three saves came from but he had some amazing saves last night and I definately saw more than three. Congratulations to Spring Valley on a great season.
Quote:

Ive seen a couple post saying how good SV's keeper was and how he was very good in the goal today but if NW had so many opportunities then how did he only have 3 saves? I cant believe that NW had 18 shots and the SV keeper only had 3 saves. CLARIFICATION ANYBODY!!!!!

Based on the posted stats for NW:
19 shots, but only 5 shots-on-goal (2 goals plus 3 saves)

A shot on goal is defined as either a goal or a shot that would have been a goal if not stopped by the keeper. Only 5 of NW shots were on goal. The rest either hit the woodwork or missed high or wide.
Thanks for the spirited posts, folks. Coach P said it correctly: keepers make plays all the time -- often great ones which may eventually prevent goals being scored -- but for a shot to be 'saved', it must have been destined for the goal had the keeper not been there. There were a number of back saves as well (none cleared off the line in dramatic fashion, but neatly cleared nonetheless). For instance, Thomas Wollersheium had a number of chances but put the ball way over the frame -- that is not counted as a 'shot' in NCAA or in high school. Many coaches or team statisticians tally every effort that a player may have 'intended' to be a shot.

In addition, I was the only one other than the official timer (officials Barry Kemp and Bob DeMailley) in the press box. I was doing public address, helping work the scoreboard, keeping the statistics, and posting updates. So I won't deny the possibility of having missed something. I have had some 18 years of experience, however, at both the high school level (including annually manning the venue at Airport HS for the Palmetto Cup) and the NCAA with the University of South Carolina. So I am comfortable in what I post

Keep up the passion you folks have for football (soccer) -- it is great for the sport in this state!

Cheers - Dave
Great Job Dave!

Congratulations to all the team that made the show.

What a great AAA play-off. After the 1st round, there were only three games decided by more than one point, and one of those was by only 2. I wonder how many of these were over-times or went into PKs?
Just goes to show how great soccer is in South Carolina!!!!!!

It was weird being at the game without a camera, but times like these are for the pros.

So now the quetion is, what do I do now???????

And as Dave says
Keep up the passion!

See you next year, because I still have a dog in the fight.
As has been said many years before, BE should not be allowed to play in 2A Championship. They are private, have always been private and should play for SCISA Championship, just as CN and Pinewood Prep and others have to do. Because private schools can recruit players, I do not think it is a fair playing field. It should not be allowed by SCHSL.
Just for the record, private schools may choose to participate in the High School league. Hammond did that a few years ago, but rejoined SCISA shortly thereafter. It is simply a matter of abiding by the guidelines maintained by the SCHSL ...
Exactly like i said...the red sox...hey basset...u are a sore winner
Okay this is getting out of control. I was in no means rooting for Northwestern but there is no denying that they controlled the majority of the game. Spring Valley played well also but the ball was in their defensive third the majority of the time. Both teams had some great opportunities. I wish Spring Valley would have come out with the W but they didn't. Great job to both teams.
hey steven gerrard get over it, northwestern absolutely destroyed the number 1 team in the nation. it was beautiful to watch. just because you can't handle that doesn't mean you need to start lashing out on all the northwestern fans. is bassett a sore winner?.......at least he's a winner.

sG said it best.

THERE'S ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN
Number 17 for N.W. new name is Waffle House he was always open .I know everyone was watching Enzo ,but this player did a great job.Missed a few shots ,but scored when needed .He was always in the right spot for the pass.I think now that I will finish my plate of crow! Go Valley.
Nice piece on the 3A boys final at MidlandsPreps.com .
Another nice clip of the 4A boys final at MidlandsPreps.com .
win or lose there would be "only one Northwestern"
Thanks to the following coaches who worked the State Championships for the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association.

All proceeds from Program sales and the Concession Stand benefit the senior soccer players selected to the Clash of the Carolinas or North-South Soccer Classic.

If your coach/school is not listed, how about asking him/her what they were doing this weekend as I am sure that if their teams were competing in the State Finals they would have found time to coach their teams.

Andy Bean, Lugoff-Elgin (SAT)
Hank Betcher, Columbia
Matt Brophy, Byrnes (FRI)
Dave Easley, Brookland-Cayce
Will Eudy, Cardinal Newman
Kevin Heise, Brookland-Cayce
Kyle Heise, Brookland-Cayce
Chris Hooker, Brookland-Cayce (SAT)
Lauren Hudgens, Brookland-Cayce
Marcus Hunter, Brookland-Cayce
David Kleinfelder, Dreher
Josef Lorenz, Dorman (FRI)
David Poole, Stratford (FRI)
Drew McNeely, West Ashley (FRI)
Wayne Quinlan, Dutch Fork (FRI)
David Schroer, Brookland-Cayce
Dick Smith, T.L. Hanna
Katie Smith, Brookland-Cayce
Linda Smith, T.L. Hanna
Dave Snyder, Bishop England (SAT)

Again, thanks for those that found time in their schedules to contribute to the SCHSSCA.
My take on the SCHSL State Championships May 16-17 at Eugene E. Stone, III Stadium on the campus of the University of South Carolina.

POSITIVES
***Great weather! Could not ask for better May soccer weather for the state finals. To heck with anyone that wants to move the sport back to the Winter!
***I thought that the crowds from Woodruff girls (I guess they left one policeman back to watch the whole town); Mauldin girls (the cone-bearing fans and the Mavericks busing in the football players was a great touch); the 1A boys match was as well-attended as ever; the Chapin boys fans were tremendous; and the Northwestern/Spring Valley 4A championship game was everything that a high school soccer game should be -- emotional fans, superb play and effort -- the Northwestern fans (especially the recent Alumni) deserve certain mention for creating the best chants, songs, and support in all of prep soccer. Truly, a magical atmosphere, that they create!
***Thanks again to the SCHSSCA Coaches that see it as part of their professional duty to support our SCHSL State Championship games and the fact that this weekend serves as a major fundraiser for our all-star games.
***Thanks to USC for their upkeep of the pitch for the weekend. After Friday's matches, the groundscrew was busy at work on Friday AM getting the field cut and divots replaced. Top notch! Also, great to have a soccer specific scoreboard on hand as well! Really adds to the soccer atmosphere!
***Kudos to USC Asst. Men's Coach Bert Molinary for his assistance in facilitating the event, particularly with fellow college and prep coaches.
***Thanks to Kelly Lewis, Matt, Shawn Burke, and the rest of the USC athletic staff that made it possible for the SCHSL State Championships to be played at Stone Stadium.
***Perhaps the biggest positive of all is Public Address Announcer David Easley who performed yeoman's work in the press box for 5.5 of the 7 matches. This is a tough job and his professional presence is truly felt. His work at USC baseball, softball, men's and women's soccer games, as well as the Palmetto Cup shines through! Thanks Dave!!!

NEGATIVES
***The drunk kid from Spring Valley that was carrying the Irish flag that was dismissed not once, but twice from Stone Stadium after two incidents only to return and start a row with a Northwestern fan right in front of me, only to have him escorted out of the stadium for a third time. His poor judgement resulted in him spending a night in the Richland County Detention Center per USC P.D. Sorry that this happened, but he simply pushed the limits.
***The lack of coaches that showed up to support the SCHSL State Championships in the way of canteen workers, gate workers, etc. It continually amazes me how coaches can walk by the concession stand and see folks "slaving" and not offer to assist. On top of that, WE all would be coaching our teams if playing in the finals, so what's with not showing up to assist in staging the championships. I've heard all the excuses, but the proof is in the pudding -- you simply have to pull your weight!
***Ticket-takers -- this is handled solely by the SCHSL, but I realize that the process is way too slow. This is something that we will address for the future with the SCHSL.

If you have any other "pat on the backs" or "shake your fingers" let us know!
SEVERAL OTHER OBSERVATIONS:

The pitch at Stone Stadium was second-to-none this weekend. Great playing surface and superb setting for the State Finals. What a great scoreboard. The soccer-specific tally sheet situated at the southeast side of Stone Stadium is absolutely great! A statistician's dream!

The 3A Girls officiating crew was challenged to say the least. No doubt that the better team won, but the "call back" on Austin Fagan's goal was detrimental to Riverside. As for the other matches, I thought it was pretty well officiated. The 3A Referee for the boys was a bit theatrical for me, but he did a solid job -- however he talked way too much to the players for my liking (referee, don't coach).

Great job by the Woodruff, Mauldin, and Chapin fans -- lots of you "in the house" and all very spirited. However, the Northwestern crowd was as zany and "soccer frenzied" as I can remember. Great soccer atmosphere with some outstanding soccer songs:

"I'm forever blowing bubbles."
"You are my Enzo."
"Walking in a Trojan wonderland."

Top-notch stuff!

A tip-of-the-hat to Coach Dick Smith and his wife, Linda, on the enormous presence they have in high school soccer and the unselfishness they exude in performing their duties -- "all for the kids' sake". Truly genuine people who have the best interest of our young people at heart. Thanks!
If I may suggest an additional canteen line. Of course, but coaches would have to be there to work it!

On a side note, for all you people who list who can coach and what not, what else do they do for the game???

From the looks of it, if your kid or player is playing in an all-star game this year you had better thank the HEISE'S and staff for getting the funding from the canteen lines at Stone Stadium.

IF YOU COACH AND YOUR TEAM WAS NOT PLAYING AND YOU DID NOT HELP OUT THIS WEEKEND:

SHAME ON YOU!!
Quote:

Too many Northwestern haters as well Nemco. Sorry you couldn't beat them when you were in high school.

i agree. we can all make little jabs at each and what not but who cares. NW won outright last night and did a great job this whole season!

Wish i could say i beat them, but o well, got to play against the best and we gave it our all. where did you sit on NW's bench when we played?
I didn't play for Northwestern actually. And if I did, at least I could say I played for a winning program.
The LARGEST POSITIVE of the weekend was the fact that Brookland-Cayce Assistant Coach Ashley Hartin returned from his second tour of Iraq. Thanks to Ashley and his cohorts that have served our country in the utmost fashion!
Thanks for your service to our country coach Hartin, it means a GREAT deal to most of us in the soccer community.
Ashley, all of the above are appropriate -- without question we are thrilled to have you back in this great land. But what is so much more impressive on this front is that you land and arrive in town at 4:30 AM and yet you found time to show up at Stone Stadium and work for the SCHSSCA at noon. That is unbelievable! Not only am I proud of your service to our nation, I am more proud to be your friend! Cheers, Ashley!
Very good to see that Heise, always nice to see someone come home safely from war and enjoy some good soccer and relaxation. Also i cant wait til next years finals, the crowds were great as well as the play.
Time to bring out the NAWGS for Ashley!!!!! Glad ya made it home safely!!!
Is there going to be a PLC this year?
Post deleted by Kevin Heise
That will just about cover the flybys>

PS and Hartin, Glad to have you home. Lookin forward to the summer travels my man.
Was Dale JR there or was he too busy upping his post count with mindless babble?
I have a complaint to register. The concession stand had no Gatorade or food during the 4A championship Saturday night. That sucks for us to come from out of town and not be able to bring food in and then not be able to buy some when we're inside the stadium.
Thanks guys! All I can say is, that after being over there for so long and dealing with some of the mess I had to, it was no doubt a pleasure to sling a few dogs on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in the good old USofA. To work along side some of the best coaches and greatest individual's I have had the pleasure of knowing, well there are no words. I thank you guys for allowing me to step up, it really helped put the past 15 months behind.
For all of you that didn't show up, somebody already said it "shame on you". There really is no reason not to be there. We all coach becuase we love the game, we love the satisfaction of watching these young players develope and grow. No matter how far our teams may get, there are other young players still playing to be the best, kudo's to all that made it there, and we as teachers of the game should be there to show them our support. Remember coaches it is not for us, its for them. You can't even call it a sacrifice on such a beautiful day such as Saturday. We all want some time off at the end of the season, but we made a commitment and well, then you have Sunday.

I apologize for being long winded, but, there really is no excuse for those that did not show. Perhaps they will never see the big picture, I'm glad I do, life is so wonderful when work is so enjoying. Thanks again guys for welcoming me back!
Also, I would like to thank the players and coaches that made it there to play this weekend. Congrats, without all of you coming home could have been a little boring. I saw some great talent and play out there. Thanks!
HOMEBOY HARTIN BE BACK UP IN THIS BIA BIA. TIME TO LOOK AT SOME BAWGS AND NAWGS OVER A FEW PITCHERS WITH A STRAW IN THEM!!!
A Great weekend at Stone...Congratulations to all Participants!
Question, were the state championship games RECORDED? is there any way to purchase one?
Well Bam Bam.....You should call the Papa John's franchise and ask them why the h*ll they are so slow. It may also be a good idea before you come to a game like that to eat. You are in the capital of the state with plenty eating establishments unless you like eating cold pizza. I think all the people that came to the 4A game can afford it. Also if you had a problem with it you can get your a** out their and give up your Friday and Saturday to not get paid to go get some more food because the few people that were there working couldn't leave because they had to run the place. And a lot of you people need to get over yourselves thinking that your bigger than you really are!!!!! I see why kids act the way they do because of the examples they have.
Quote:

I have a complaint to register. The concession stand had no Gatorade or food during the 4A championship Saturday night. That sucks for us to come from out of town and not be able to bring food in and then not be able to buy some when we're inside the stadium.

Apparently, you didn't die of thirst or hunger during the 2 hours it took to play one soccer game. Maybe you could have run by the store and picked up a few supplies for concessions on your way into town, so the Heise guys could get a little break?!?

I have to concur with the other comments about the lack of stadium help for the playoffs - expecially from the "BIG" programs. Shame on you! Who do you think serves drinks, snacks, etc. to YOUR fans when you make it the finals? Maybe you could repay the favor during your "off years" - though they may be few and far-between?

I know most of the "big boys" don't post, but I'm pretty sure they read the board, so man-up next year guys and put in a little sweat equity for the cause of SC soccer!

AND....another BIG THANKS to the BC program and the Heise guys, et al. for keeping the rest of us entertained and "in-the-loop" while we sit at our computers in our easy chairs. We TRULY appreciate the MANY hours of hard work you fellows put in!

AND...Welcome back, Chuck!
Quote:

Was Dale JR there or was he too busy upping his post count with mindless babble?

My own personal stalker!
Tugjobber those are some pretty bold statements...I'm sure they were real easy to say in front of your computer desk...
I made the trip down with my son on Saturday. Congrats to all the teams and the USC venue is outstanding!

Class A
Pretty even match. Asian player for CCES is good. #14 played pretty well. AMHS is a big team, very tall. Both squads have good keepers. Tough way to decide a match on PKs.

Class AA
Mismatch. Not even close. I didn't know what to expect from EHS, but is the Upper State that weak in AA? I saw EHS play Lexington at the Palmetto Cup and that was a rout. So was this one. Looks like BE can chalk up the next 3-4 years for titles if this is the best to come out of the upstate.

Class AAA
This was the one I wanted to see since Eastside was edged by Riverside. Two even teams, Chapin and RHS. Good keepers on both sides. I thought Aaron Peter was excellent for RHS and that Matt Sluga was probably the best player on the field. Not much attack by either side, but that's a compliment for both teams' midfields. Andrew Kocis played pretty strong as well. Where was Joey Demare? I didn't know he was on the field until he got carded in overtime. #5 for CHS impressed me as did #18. Again, PKs are a tough way to decide the outcome, but Chapin was working on borrowed time (OT vs. NMB and PKs vs. BC). Amazing what RHS has done in high school soccer!

Class AAAA
Thought this would be another OT type contest. But, Northwestern was all over Spring Valley for 80 minutes. Really can't believe the scoreline was just 2-0. Physical match but not dirty at all. #17 for NHS is impressive and Enzo might be the best player I've ever seen (definitely is for his age). I liked #3 and #7 as well for NHS. SVHS is huge physically and after playing them at Palmetto Cup thought they were the best team in the state, but I tip my hat to NHS.

Great day. Ate lots of hot dogs and starburst and drank plenty of Gatorade and water. Went down for pizza at halftime of AAAA game, but line was way too long. Otherwise a "super Saturday".
Always Right,
First of all, EMERALD was the best 2A public school in the state, and yes that was perhaps Emeralds worst game all year they played due to a double overtime game that week against Walhalla, but its not fair every year that Emerald who is a public school in 2A,has to play a private school every year who controls their enrollment and brings kids from all over the world in to play. Also, don't dis-regard a young team made up mostly sophmores for Emerald that was disappointed as well in the way they played to say they are weak.
Bishop England should be placed in 4A or in private school format. Last year Emerald was a senior team and took Bishop England to penalty kicks, so don't tear a team down because of one game. In fact , I saw the spring Valley / North western game and northwestern dominated that game as much as bishop england did aganist emerald but Spring valley didn't have a good game as well, but you don't say they are weak, they just didn't have their A game on saturday. Things happen, they all had to play well all year in order to get to Championship game.
And I thought soccer season was over..
B.E. will always dominate AA until they are moved to AAA or AAAA..where they belong OR erase all the lines and let players pick and choose
BC Coach? No. Friends with some of them? Sure. I saw how they slaved all weekend for free though and I sympathize with their efforts.
© SC Soccer