SC Soccer
Posted By: Coach Young IMG - 06/04/08 09:38 PM
Do you really need to send a player to a soccer institute like IMG in order for her to be successful? Can high quality players be developed through normal club and HS avenues or does one truly have to sacrifice family and childhood friends to truly make it?
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/04/08 10:21 PM
Guess that depends on your definition of success...the majority seem to reach a level they're more than satisfied with in their "natural" environment. I'd like to hope that the players, though, have that choice rather than just being "sent off"...that has such a Soviet ring to it...
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:06 PM
Jr:
NO, you can be successful in SC by sending your daughter to CESA, and taking advantage of all they have to offer. My daughter trains and plays with CESA every chance she gets.

Coach Chass:
My daughter likes the Soviet lifestyle.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:20 PM
Are kids ready for a college atmosphere at 15 years of age? I have no doubt whatsoever that their skill level improves. The success rate of such academies speaks for itself...but at what cost? Is a combined HS/45 minute club drive not enough for kids hoping to reach the college ranks? Birthday parties, prom, and homecoming are out the window all for some more intense training and the hope we produce more Marta's on US soil. Where do we draw the line?
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:20 PM
If she likes it, then it's not so Soviet!

Soviet is more like, "You vill report to the trainink grounds at 0600 for your reconditionink. Your family unt friends are dead to you now. All you do now is for the glory of your comrades unt the Motherland."

*insert long, poignant close-up of the girl looking wistfully backwards at her home and the memories of lost childhood as the train pulls slowly but inexorably away from the station.*
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:26 PM
Dale Jr:
An academy like IMG is very similar to sending a child to a prep or boarding school. The average child that attends a boarding school does extremely well in college and even better in life.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:28 PM
Quote:

Jr:
NO, you can be successful in SC by sending your daughter to CESA, and taking advantage of all they have to offer. My daughter trains and plays with CESA every chance she gets.

In the place of "CESA" insert "a quality club with a good, committed coach" (including but not limited to CESA) and I wouldn't argue.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:30 PM
Again, I agree...an academy like IMG is very similar to sending a child to boarding school.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: IMG - 06/04/08 11:35 PM
SF, agreed. However, sending a kid away to a school merely to get better at soccer seems...a little dramatic. I guess my topic is debating: Why send a kid 10 hours away from family and childhood friends when all that they need is within one hour?

I'd compare the social skills in a largely scaled down model to that of a home schooled child. Nothing wrong with home schooling whatsoever. They excel in academics and other areas requiring above average IQ's. I just don't think they could hold a conversation with my neighbor's public school kid as well as other "mainstream" children. What do you talk about when you're around normal kids at church or in your neighborhood when all you do is eat, sleep, and breathe soccer?
Posted By: 2d1dad Re: IMG - 06/05/08 01:32 AM
True, a quality club with a quality trainer are prime ingredients to becoming successful. A kid who wants to excel must take it a step further; individual soccer training coupled with individual physical training in addition to club training gives a kid an opportunity to become exceptional and separate themselves from mediocrity. High school or club ball alone "won't get it".

And, really it all starts with a kid's desire - if a kid wants to do it, there won't be any "sacrifices" as they become an exceptional soccer player...
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: IMG - 06/05/08 01:40 AM
im sure there are kids who's parents pay the money just to say their kid goes to a place like that and the kid does not have the skill that you may think he or she has with that IMG tag beside their name.
i also think that an athletic and skilled soccer player can get better faster at a IMG type place because instead of getting 3 hrs a week of soccer you are getting atleast 4 hrs a day.you also get the soccer classroom time going over the different aspects of the game that most kids at any club will not get.a kid at IMG may still not be better skill wise than a player at a club but their knowlege of the game and how to play the game will be better. im sure there is a lot of chalkboard time on positioning at a place like IMG.
Posted By: FutbolMadness Re: IMG - 06/05/08 03:19 AM
I agree with Sweet Feet on this issue. I have toured IMG (the soccer portion, anyway)and it is very much like a boarding school, with half day school and the afternoons for training. I also think what the player gets out of IMG will depend on what they put into it, and what their motives are for wanting to go there. If a player is absolutely obsessed about soccer playing/training then that player will be given the opportunity to thrive in that type of environment. My daughter has wanted to attend IMG every since she found out last summer at ODP camp that they also train girls. She will attend IMG next Fall, her Senior year, and believes that she is sacrificing nothing on the social level and has everything to gain by making the change. That is not to say that she won't miss her club and Wando High school teammates, because she will, but her drive to work on her game is so strong that she is sure she is making the right choice. She has already verbally committed to a D1 SEC school, so her focus is more on working on her individual weak areas than on exposure to colleges, etc., There is also something to be said for the mental training (especially for the GK position) and the fact that all training is contained in one area instead of running up and down the road several hours weekly, as we have done year after year for club training. Last fall she spent an average of 5-6 hours of week driving to and from club training, which she felt was "dead time". Again, I am not advocating that IMG would be a good "fit" for every soccer player - in fact, that is why you have to pass an interview before you are accepted - but for some it may be the best environment.
Posted By: PHPPPF Re: IMG - 06/05/08 11:40 AM
Hey Chass, do I smell a Bond-like script coming? Maybe you could re-wirte the new Indiana Jones movie to incorporate the saving of this little girl (I imagine her at six years old), eliminate the alien factor and make it worth the nine dollars I spent going to see it. Not soccer-related, but still . . .
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/05/08 12:06 PM
Hmm...maybe even blend in a little Harry Potter, where she gets shipped off to a Stalin-esque military version of Hogwart's to learn mad magic soccer skills...only it's a plot by the aliens to feed off their gladitorial-style matches for their own energy consumption needs and vicarious experience.

She's rescued by a fedora-sporting local high school/club coach who teaches her that the team-building, sportsmanship, and work ethic lessons she can learn in sports will translate into more areas of life than just winning on the field for the glory of their alien masters.

Deprived of their vicarious energy source, the aliens...well, I don't want to give away the ending before I get your nine bucks.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: IMG - 06/05/08 12:58 PM
I saw the trailer and this is going to be bigger than "The Incredible Hulk".
Posted By: BamBam Re: IMG - 06/05/08 01:32 PM
This falls in to the "if you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything" category.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: IMG - 06/05/08 01:47 PM
If you read the BIO's of the UNC girls team, ODP comes up a bunch, and good solid clubs. That is about it.

If a kids wants to get to be MLS quality, those 4 hours a day would obviously help.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:04 PM
IMG has no real magic, the only difference is the quality of facilities and the amount of time the players train. Each player has a specific diet to follow, weight lifting and mental conditioning are all part of the system. The school teachers allow students to make up any work that was missed or late due to any soccer activity. My daughter starts school at 8:00 am and is finished by 10:30. It's amazing how much the teacher can cover without all of the distractions of a normal school. Also not all the typical bs drama of a normal HS, parents don't lay awake waiting for their kids to come home, if they make it home at all. Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:13 PM
Quote:

Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.

So HS soccer kids smoke dope? Lots of parents on here that might disagree.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.

So HS soccer kids smoke dope? Lots of parents on here that might disagree.

Yes, and cigarettes. . .and very common among college athletes as well. . .and pros. . .reportedly rampant in the NBA. . .

And it is typical for parents to think their child is unique among common teen habits. . .
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:20 PM
Thank you Cat, a voice of reason.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:21 PM
this is a High School girls forum, most kids, I know on soccer teams are a cut above the crowd. Not a cut below. The team usually has a top 5 graduating senior, year after year... do not know about sweet feets home town high school
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:26 PM
Papa Hatfield:
Do you think that graduating in the top of your class keeps your child from drinking and smoking pot? And your right, soccer players are a cut above the norm.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:32 PM
If you do the research, high school athletes, use drugs less, smoke less, less teen age pregnancies, plus health benefits that are too numerous to mention...

If we are worried about teenage drug use, look for the skateboards... a generalization, but if I had to choose if my child was carrying a soccer ball every day or a board, I know where I am...
Posted By: sweet feet Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:37 PM
I agree, I was just defending my daughters school/club.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:40 PM
Quote:

Papa Hatfield:
Do you think that graduating in the top of your class keeps your child from drinking and smoking pot? And your right, soccer players are a cut above the norm.

Not at all...but playing sports (and being truly invested in what they play) can certainly affect their decision-making process when they weigh the temptations vs. what they can gain and what they can lose.

I'd put my team up for a drug screening any day of the week with no worries of being "crippled" by the results. They know what I expect of them, both on and off the field. Not saying it eliminates all the indiscretions, but I do believe them to be "a cut above."
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:44 PM
Quote:

If you do the research, high school athletes, use drugs less, smoke less, less teen age pregnancies, plus health benefits that are too numerous to mention...

If we are worried about teenage drug use, look for the skateboards... a generalization, but if I had to choose if my child was carrying a soccer ball every day or a board, I know where I am...

hey....wait a minute.i road a skatboard in high school.
wait!!!maybe that is why my spelling is so bad.
Posted By: Talon Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:45 PM
Quote:

I'd put my team up for a drug screening any day of the week with no worries of being "crippled" by the results.

I wonder if ol' Jerry Brown would do the same?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:46 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Papa Hatfield:

Not at all...but playing sports (and being truly invested in what they play) can certainly affect their decision-making process when they weigh the temptations vs. what they can gain and what they can lose.

I'd put my team up for a drug screening any day of the week with no worries of being "crippled" by the results. They know what I expect of them, both on and off the field. Not saying it eliminates all the indiscretions, but I do believe them to be "a cut above."

i think this goes back to sports (along with some other activities) keeps kids off the streets.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: IMG - 06/05/08 02:49 PM
amen!!!
Posted By: FutbolMadness Re: IMG - 06/05/08 03:56 PM
Dale Jr., Coach Chass, etc.,
As the kids now often say, "Don't be hating". Why can't people just wish a kid well if they are working hard toward their dream and not resort to sarcasm?? I assume that most people on this board are here because they love the game of soccer. What works for one kid doesn't always work for others. And for the record, my kid doesn't need rescuing from anything, she is as tough as nails.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: IMG - 06/05/08 04:15 PM
Quote:

Do you really need to send a player to a soccer institute like IMG in order for her to be successful? Can high quality players be developed through normal club and HS avenues or does one truly have to sacrifice family and childhood friends to truly make it?

No hate intended. Just curious if IMG prepares you better overall or if clubs like CESA and CUFC would suffice. Read carefully next time, you'll see bud. I doubt your young 'n is anything but tough as nails and I wish you and yours the very best.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/05/08 04:55 PM
As for me, I think I was making a contrast between kids like Sweet's (enjoying the lifestyle) and a forced-march kind of training...which, I think, makes your point that what's great for one might not be great for all. Then, we started joking around about extreme melodramatic characterizations, movie deals were mentioned, I got a call from Spielberg, my PR man said the quicker you start teasing them with the trailer, the better the opening weekend at the box office...and it went from there.

No hating here, just a chuckle at stereotypes. A touch of satire, a spoof...a lampoon, if you will. But no hating.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/05/08 05:00 PM
Oh, and compliments to your daughter as well...I've always said, you put the girls through the fire, nine times out of ten they come out tougher than the boys--that is, the ones who are willing to give it their all. Boys sometimes stick with sports because they feel like they're "supposed" to, being guys and all. You find girls that are willing to stick with a sport and give it their all through hard work and intensive training , and you've found players on the highest level of commitment.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: IMG - 06/05/08 08:36 PM
Quote:

Oh, and compliments to your daughter as well...I've always said, you put the girls through the fire, nine times out of ten they come out tougher than the boys--that is, the ones who are willing to give it their all. Boys sometimes stick with sports because they feel like they're "supposed" to, being guys and all. You find girls that are willing to stick with a sport and give it their all through hard work and intensive training , and you've found players on the highest level of commitment.

Totally agree, my first two born boys played basketball/soccer because they felt they had to. My third born daughter plays soccer because she loves to play SOCCER. She runs circles around the two boys! (and is still a very prissy young lady off the field)
Posted By: FutbolMadness Re: IMG - 06/06/08 03:35 AM
I agree with all of you regarding the commitment of girls to sports in general. When they are serious about a sport they often do what it takes to rise to the top. My son, on the other hand, would not have even considered exerting himself beyond just what it took to get by in soccer or any other sport. This was especially true if doing so would have interfered with his social life. I have heard the same thing from several friends with both boys and girls. My son is grown now, but was shocked to hear that his sister wanted to go to "soccer boot camp" for her senior year - just couldn't fathom what would make someone want to do that. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general I think girls that are really into soccer tend to be deadly serious about the sport. As I overheard my daughter say to a friend recently "I've played since I was 5 - I can't imagine my life without soccer." The commitment of the girls in this age group bodes well for Women's soccer in the U.S. in the years to come.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/06/08 11:46 AM
Yep...I have had so many opportunities to be impressed with these girls and young women who play--not just the ones who grew up with soccer, but also some of the ones who find the sport in their high school years and fall in love with it. I think the term "fiercely committed" would apply. So many examples I've seen...there was the defender (a former cheerleader who crossed over, no less) who played 2/3 of a game with a broken big toe on her primary kicking foot and managed to hide it from me to make sure I wouldn't take her out. The tears were flowing after the match, but she never showed a thing on the field. This was the same girl who, in August conditioning, veered off the track to a 55-gallon trash drum, continued to dance in a circle around the can while she emptied her lunch into it, wiped her mouth, and kept running--never missed a step.

I've had girls in high school and in club who would give their last ounce...come off the field near exhaustion, get some ice to cool down, and ask to go back in 5 minutes later. I've seen them play sick and injured, and had some tell me if they died on the pitch, it would be a good way to go.

When these young ladies commit, they are in all the way..."deadly serious" is a good way to put it, and I remain impressed with them.
Posted By: FutbolMadness Re: IMG - 06/06/08 02:02 PM
Coach Chass, Very well stated! This describes what I have witnessed on the girls side of soccer also. Broken noses/toes/fingers - no problem, worry about it AFTER the game. Concussion from smacking your head on the goalpost during a save - time to recover AFTER winning the game! And playing the entire game with the Flu and 102 is a no-brainer.....
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: IMG - 06/06/08 05:28 PM
So you KNOW my keeper, do you?
Posted By: Coach Tim Re: IMG - 06/06/08 11:55 PM
Just from personal experience, if I want something I pick the best path I can use to get there.

If IMG was what I wanted and it was a good fit for me then I would do it. If club at whatever level made me feel elite then go for it, make yourself happy.

I remember being in the Coast Guard and being honestly shocked that there were those who did the minimum. I always tried for the rung above, I have slipped many many times. But knowing that every once in a while I can achieve one more rung gives me the juice.

It's OK to feel "better" than others. Acting better is different. Being tops in class and not doing drugs makes you better than those who do drugs.

It's GREAT to be GREAT. No apologies.
© SC Soccer