SC Soccer
Thanks!

http://216.27.84.134/findhighschoolsc09/
Spartanburg @ Greenville today 3/16 rained out.
Daniel v. Woodmont on Monday 3/16, and Daniel v. Walhalla on Tuesday 3/17, both postponed.
Tonights match between Northwestern & Boiling Springs has been moved to Dist. 3 Stadium. Times will remain the same
5:30 JV
7:00 Varsity
Travelers Rest at Blue Ridge Women's and Men's games for tonight (3/16) have been cancelled due to weather.
Dorman 3 Riverside 2; Double OT with PK's Dorman 5 RHS 3

Dorman scored in last 4 mins of regulation to tie the game at 2-2
Boiling Springs tied Northwestern 1-1 in regulation, went to PK's

3 sophmores, and 2 freshman went to the line to take shots as NW crowd heckled them. Keeper knocked two down, girls hit 4 of 5, golden goal from a freshman. Congrats Ladies.
Boiling Springs 2-1 over Northwestern.
Papa H
Congrats on your win, your girls played with a lot of passion. Great game for the fans to watch even with the rain.
yes, it was very dramatic,
number 10 on JV is a special player. she was giving me heart burn, from the visitor side. Best of luck to your teams.
Hillcrest vs Greenwood game on 3/16 was postponed, new date has not been set. Thursday Hillcrest plays Boiling Springs should be a good game. Teams were pretty even last year Boiling Springs won both games by a goal, and both have improved this year.
DF at N Augusta tonight postponed. Rescheduled for 4/22 (JV & V).
St. Josephs- 2
Shannon Forest- 1
Varsity Girls

Ridgeview 5
Rock Hill 2

2-1 at half. Ridgeview turned it up in the second.Good team with nice parents.Cant say that much.
Sounds like a nice game HH. Glad you got the game in tonite.
Hanna 10:0 Laurens
Quote:

Sounds like a nice game HH. Glad you got the game in tonite.

Was going to stop at Carolina Wings at exit 27 but there was toooooo many cars in the lot. I bet it wouldnt of been A-pleanty anyway.
Hey HH. Looking forward to another a-plenty myself. Morabito and I should meet you again at the beacon again one night b4 a soccer game....
Quote:

Hey HH. Looking forward to another a-plenty myself. Morabito and I should meet you again at the beacon again one night b4 a soccer game....

No need to wait on a soccer game. Im up for the beacon most any Days.We will have to line something up.
Christ Church 6
Greenville Tech Charter 0
Aiken 2
Lex 0

SA 1
Barnwell 0
Airport 2
Dreher 0

Beat you to it Coach M. Relax and get some sleep. OOPS I forgot, not much sleep around the household at this time!!!!!!
3/17
@ Ben Lippen-1
Heathwood Hall-0

Only goal scored by senior Sara Ann McCain off a header in the first half. Great game by both squads and a close one all the way. Excellent intensity and fun to watch.
Girls Varsity
Swansea-3
Brookland Cayce-2
Good game on both sides. Great win for the Swansea ladies.
Quote:

Girls Varsity
Swansea-3
Brookland Cayce-2
Good game on both sides. Great win for the Swansea ladies.

Big win for that program. Congrats girls (and coach).
It was a PK kinda night for Blythewood and Valley

Blythewood and Valley tied at the end of regulation 0-0 then they only missed 1 to our 2.

Drat.....

tk
North Myrtle Beach - 3
West Florence - 2
Did Irmo have fun last night.
White Knoll 5
RNE 1
3/17 @ Wando
Wando 8, Ft Dorchester 1
Goals-Juniors: Brook Lisson, Chloe Urig, Caroline Williams
Sophomore: Kelsy Timmerman
Freshmen: Nora Bishop,Becca Lisson
3/17 at Westside

#12 Wren 2
Westside 1

Shots: Wren 16, Westside 7
Corners: Wren 6, Westside 3
Cards: None

Wren is a very well-coached, talented, athletic team. The score was 2-0 at the half, with Wren scoring at the 16' and 23' minute marks. Westside scored at the 68' minute mark and the final minutes were hectic for both teams. Of note, this was the first goal Westside has ever scored against Wren at the varsity level. The region matches between Wren and TL Hanna this year should be very exciting.

Congrats to Coach Burriss and his Lady 'Canes on the win!

Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
Quote:

Well...that was probably pretty much not necessary, was it?
There are ways to avoid that kind of score, as previously discussed.
3/17 @ Easley

Greenwood 2
Easley 1
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, i seem to remember a certain school that has been one of the best teams in the state for several years have to play some schools that have been some of the worst.
always got the goals they needed then handled it in a tactful way so players could still play and no one would be embarrased.
I guess peoples view of what is class varies from school to school.
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure OW expects and understands as they show NO MERCY on the basketball court frequently annihilating their opponents on the scoreboard. I'm also sure Irmo could have easily doubled or tripled the score.

Anyway, no one would've really noticed the score if the original post wasn't made public here.
I noticed. It was on the eurosport scoreboard and im sure i am not the only one that looks at it.
I assume you are a Irmo fan so you making the statement
"no one would've noticed the score if the original post wasn't made public" seems like you were hiding from the score?
What was the JV score? 20-0
By the way. If this was a basketball forum and i saw where OW ran up the score i would say the same things about them.
That's what the scsoccer scoreboard is for

I've seen much worse than 16-0.
O-W does not have a JV team.
Quote:

I'm sure OW expects and understands as they show NO MERCY on the basketball court frequently annihilating their opponents on the scoreboard. I'm also sure Irmo could have easily doubled or tripled the score.

Anyway, no one would've really noticed the score if the original post wasn't made public here.

An interesting way to look at it, considering I've never seen any OW games. So, the OW girls' soccer team should expect this in the future?
I don't think one team should pay for the crimes of another (not arguing the score, just the logic)
Where is Peabody to explain how they tried to hold down the score?
Not trying to make a statement on one side or the other of this discussion, but I wanted to post some facts from last night's match.
- Irmo substituted freely starting 3 minutes into the match.
- Players who don't usually play much at all played most of the game.
- The score was 6-0 at the half and things sort of exploded quickly in the second half with the final score being reached with 20 minutes remaining.
- Eight goals were scored by players who had never scored before in an official high school varsity match.
- Another two goals were scored by non-freshmen players who have scored 1 or 2 goals in their varsity career.
- Irmo played the final 20 minutes with 8 players against 11 and possessed the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the field.
In Irmo's defense, I do not think they would ever choose to play OW. Unfortunately, they have to in their region. With region play, I am sure goal differentials will come into play at some point in their region. But it is hard to tell your subs not to play hard and not to score. I am not justifying the end result (but have been in similar situations). 10, 20 pass rule, scoring off headers doesn't work with teams like OW. Just sometimes there is nothing that can be done to even things out. Also, think about the Mom's and Dad's that traveled there and paid money to see the kid play that maybe doesn't get much PT otherwise. If anything should be done, take time off the clock or a mercy rule would be nice (Softball/baseball, etc...)
Quote:

Not trying to make a statement on one side or the other of this discussion, but I wanted to post some facts from last night's match.
- Irmo substituted freely starting 3 minutes into the match.
- Players who don't usually play much at all played most of the game.
- The score was 6-0 at the half and things sort of exploded quickly in the second half with the final score being reached with 20 minutes remaining.
- Eight goals were scored by players who had never scored before in an official high school varsity match.
- Another two goals were scored by non-freshmen players who have scored 1 or 2 goals in their varsity career.
- Irmo played the final 20 minutes with 8 players against 11 and possessed the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the field.

coach i understand how hard it is to keep a score down especially in girls high school soccer. i also see you tried to change things up so it didnt get even worse but your statement about it only being 6-0 at half is turning me against you even more. so your 2nd teamers put up 10 goals in 20 mins and that is ok? i know everyone wants to score in soccer and the kids that do not play much really want to but you just tell them not to shoot. i see where two of your starters both had hat tricks. i would assume they had the 6 goals in the first half and did not play after that. im sure they did not score in the second half.once you had a few second half goals you could of let some of those 2nd teamers score the next time you played a team that was not up to your level.
i have seen many times a Ft Mill team put up 9 and stop. a lot of times that was a first half score.
one more time.
Ft mill played in a region with rock hill,south point, lancaster,york and at times gaffney. they had to keep the score down and try to stay focused for the good teams. that is why they would cross the boarder for better teams.so i do not buy the who they have to play argument.
you can even things out when you tell players not to score.
Rock Hill girls are a prime example. they were on the end of Ft Mills generosity many times. they were also on the end of teams running up the score to pad their players stats. now this year even though they are not world class they are better.maybe a 500 team. they actually beat a team 6-0 this year and it could of been a lot worse. they stopped scoreing for the most part at half.4-0 at half and that could of been even higher.after all the years of getting hammered they still did not try to run up the score.
Quote:

...i know everyone wants to score in soccer and the kids that do not play much really want to but you just tell them not to shoot. ...once you had a few second half goals you could of let some of those 2nd teamers score the next time you played a team that was not up to your level...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them on to the head coach.
i have one last thing to say,

i give a ton of credit to O-W for playing the game and not bailing out at half time. they may feel bad about the score but they can hold their heads high with the class they showed by playing on.
True story. I think it was 2005, FM at RH. I was bringing a water bottle to my ever-forgetful daughter (now a Clemson nursing student ) and I was walking behind the RH bench at halftime. One player turned to her neighbor and said "OMG, it's 9-0 and it's only halftime. How bad are they going to beat us?" Her friend reassured her: "They won't shoot anymore. FM always stops at 9."

The players knew, the parents knew, everybody knew. It's just the way it was done. No one else has to do it this way.
i cant seem to let this go.since i have nothing to do and i am on my 3rd ice cream i would like to know how some of the irmo parents felt about this. did they feel bad? or did you enjoy it?
coach p, i know you weren't commenting on one side or the other, but your facts say it all:

they reached the final score within the 1st 20 min in the 2nd half, and then played possession with 8v11. obviously they couldve done this earlier right?
I dunno, HH. Maybe it's time for more ice cream. After all, there's still lots of soccer to be played and we all learn something everyday.
I certainly don't think 9-0 at the half is merciful or is any less "running up the score" than 16-0 is in full time. It just sounds like FM has had more experience at these lopsided scores and knows how to "run it up" in the first half and then stop.
Obviously we have Irmo haters. Stop the hate, just stop it I say! Why don't you follow with, "how did the Irmo team sleep last night?" All this needs to go into a different thread not the score posting one. If there was a mercy rule, no runs up the score, right?
Quote:

coach p, i know you weren't commenting on one side or the other, but your facts say it all:

they reached the final score within the 1st 20 min in the 2nd half, and then played possession with 8v11. obviously they couldve done this earlier right?

Obviously.
I probably just made it to a half a star rating.
Give me stars or give me death... sorry I am getting carried away.
lets see.
9-0 in first half and that is the final score or a 16-0 final score and you put 10 of those up in the first 20 mins of the second half.
correct me coach p if i am wrong but did any of your starters score more than 2 goals and were any of their goals scored in the second half. i got no problem with players scoring more than 2 but when is the problem.
the game i talked about rock hill was in this year and could of been a lot worse,mine scored her 3rd late in the game. she didnt really try to score but should not of even shot. difference is it was the 6th goal of the game not the 16th.
Quote:

I certainly don't think 9-0 at the half is merciful or is any less "running up the score" than 16-0 is in full time. It just sounds like FM has had more experience at these lopsided scores and knows how to "run it up" in the first half and then stop.

Point taken. With the regime change, perhaps they will stop at 4 or 5 in the future, or perhaps the quality of opposition will make it a moot point. In any event, all teams have to live with themselves, win or lose.
Quote:

Obviously we have Irmo haters. Stop the hate, just stop it I say! Why don't you follow with, "how did the Irmo team sleep last night?" All this needs to go into a different thread not the score posting one. If there was a mercy rule, no runs up the score, right?

I dont hate Irmo. mine has played with and knows some of the girls.none of this falls on them or is a reflection on them. im sure they slept pretty good last night.especially if it was a home game and they got to bed early.
i do not agree with the mercy rule.nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat. i wouldnt want to drive on a bus for an hour and have irmo score 10 in 20 mins and the game be over. then we would argue about not scoring so fast to make the game last longer.
Quote:

Quote:

Point taken. With the regime change, perhaps they will stop at 4 or 5 in the future, or perhaps the quality of opposition will make it a moot point. In any event, all teams have to live with themselves, win or lose.

they may not stop at 9
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they may not stop at 9

Now, now, HH. Give the man a chance.
Quote:

[..nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat...

But it would be OK to go up to bat and have the coach tell you you could not hit?
No one makes anyone score more.
If someone score 10, 11, or 12, or 16, or 17, they sleep fine. If they didn't they wouldn't score that much.
There are a million ways not to score, and beating up someone past consciousness, past existence, doesn't really make you more of a person or more of a team.
Quote:

Quote:

I dont hate Irmo. mine has played with and knows some of the girls.none of this falls on them or is a reflection on them. im sure they slept pretty good last night.especially if it was a home game and they got to bed early.
i do not agree with the mercy rule.nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat. i wouldnt want to drive on a bus for an hour and have irmo score 10 in 20 mins and the game be over. then we would argue about not scoring so fast to make the game last longer.

Then why argue the point at all. Great point Coach P! Touche!
Quote:

No one makes anyone score more.
If someone score 10, 11, or 12, or 16, or 17, they sleep fine. If they didn't they wouldn't score that much.
There are a million ways not to score, and beating up someone past consciousness, past existence, doesn't really make you more of a person or more of a team.

What is your point?
04/16/08 * Greer (0-11-0) W 12-0
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they may not stop at 9

Now, now, HH. Give the man a chance.

we are at peace. i just had to toss that in.
wish i could see the game tonight.
Quote:

Quote:

[..nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat...

But it would be OK to go up to bat and have the coach tell you you could not hit?

my coach told me that often and he was right. i struck out a lot.
I really meant it when I said that I did not want to be on either side of this. It is a difficult situation either way. Yes 16-0 is ugly and, frankly, I was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure beating someone up for 40 minutes and then playing keep-away for another 40 is any less ugly or less embarrassing. The method of subbing and position switching used in the first half last night kept the score to 6-0. That method did not work in the first 20 minutes of the second half and it got bad quickly. Should something have been done a little sooner to slow things down? Probably. But I thought things looked just as bad in the final 20 minutes as they did in the previous 20 although no scores were put up on the board. I'm just not sure there is a good solution to this issue.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my coach told me that often and he was right. i struck out a lot.

The point of my post was not that I think the OW soccer team has to pay for bball scores. My thought was OW probably expected it and Irmo is not on the msg board bragging about it.
I think my point was made by other posts that the score could have easily been tripled. If they played 8v11 the entire game, the score could still be higher.
I am a Wando and BE fan. So I guess that makes Irmo my rival.
As for OW's future....a look at their schedule says they are in for much of the same. If you throw out the 0-1 forfeit scores they usually put up, I'm guessing their avg score this year will be 0-9. There are many talented athletes at OW, but I don't think club/rec soccer is big in Orangeburg.
I like the idea of the time/mercy rule.
Quote:

The point of my post was not that I think the OW soccer team has to pay for bball scores. My thought was OW probably expected it and Irmo is not on the msg board bragging about it.
I think my point was made by other posts that the score could have easily been tripled. If they played 8v11 the entire game, the score could still be higher.
I am a Wando and BE fan. So I guess that makes Irmo my rival.
As for OW's future....a look at their schedule says they are in for much of the same. If you throw out the 0-1 forfeit scores they usually put up, I'm guessing their avg score this year will be 0-9. There are many talented athletes at OW, but I don't think club/rec soccer is big in Orangeburg.
I like the idea of the time/mercy rule.

There were some constructive discussions with the OW coach after last night's match about promoting youth soccer in the area and getting some of the players involved in club soccer. We are looking at ways that we can help in that effort.
Quote:

I really meant it when I said that I did not want to be on either side of this. It is a difficult situation either way. Yes 16-0 is ugly and, frankly, I was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure beating someone up for 40 minutes and then playing keep-away for another 40 is any less ugly or less embarrassing. The method of subbing and position switching used in the first half last night kept the score to 6-0. That method did not work in the first 20 miutes of the second half and it got bad quickly. Should something have been done a little sooner to slow things down? Probably. But I thought things looked just as bad in the final 20 minutes as they did in the previous 20 although no scores were put up on the board. I'm just not sure there is a good solution to this issue.

coach p i have watched some bad teams at times. usually my kids were on one of them. i do understand as crazy as it sounds that it is hard not to score at times. then it leads to the argument about making a team look bad by playing keep away. irmo just happened to have that problem last night and it got them in the line of fire.
maybe this argument will have coaches trying to keep the score down even harder. then we can wait for the argument when a team is up 6-0 at half and tries not to score anymore and the opposing team comes back to win 7-6
Quote:

Quote:

I really meant it when I said that I did not want to be on either side of this. It is a difficult situation either way. Yes 16-0 is ugly and, frankly, I was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure beating someone up for 40 minutes and then playing keep-away for another 40 is any less ugly or less embarrassing. The method of subbing and position switching used in the first half last night kept the score to 6-0. That method did not work in the first 20 miutes of the second half and it got bad quickly. Should something have been done a little sooner to slow things down? Probably. But I thought things looked just as bad in the final 20 minutes as they did in the previous 20 although no scores were put up on the board. I'm just not sure there is a good solution to this issue.

coach p i have watched some bad teams at times. usually my kids were on one of them. i do understand as crazy as it sounds that it is hard not to score at times. then it leads to the argument about making a team look bad by playing keep away. irmo just happened to have that problem last night and it got them in the line of fire.
maybe this argument will have coaches trying to keep the score down even harder. then we can wait for the argument when a team is up 6-0 at half and tries not to score anymore and the opposing team comes back to win 7-6

HH, I think you had some bad intentions when you brought this up. I don't know if you opened anyone's eyes or shed any light on the situation. Other than to take a shot at a team/players/coaching staff, what was the point? What do you have against them?
I am still somewhat bemused by this somewhat newly-developed sense of outrage when a strong team gets double digits on an inexperienced team. I don't remember anyone coming out with guns blazing on the boards a few years ago when Wando, West Ashley, James Island and Summerville were racking up high teen scores on us--least of all me. Knowing they were going to keep shooting (even if it was with the 2nd and 3rd string) let us measure our progress more accurately...when single digits finally came against these teams was an accomplishment, not a mercy gift. We didn't fold up as a team, players didn't give up and go home, it didn't destroy anyone's youth and innocence...and we got stronger. If they had made us think we were within 5 or 6 goals of them way back then, they would have done us a tremendous disservice--and believe me, passing the ball up and down the field is more insulting and damaging to a team's ego than running up the score...it means it's obvious they're just playing with you, and don't respect you enough to think you can take a hit.

I say hit us as hard as you want, and go home and sleep well. If you knock us down, don't suffer from guilt; we'll just get back up and play harder.

Back to the original topic, on 3/17:

Colleton 3
Berkeley 1

Congrats to Colleton for playing a wide-open match and catching my defense off guard--we will see you again in a few weeks!
Well said Chass...
I think personally getting beat 16 nil or anything over 10 nil just makes you respect the teams for trying thier hardest and even coming to every match ready to play soccer. Its great sportsmanship for a team to continue playing a game being down 10+ goals and it shapes up great adults i believe.
I used to coach at Spartanburg Soccer Club years ago and teams scored 13 plus goals in the state league on us. We had a recreational team playing in the top division. I have learned my lesson being on the 'crushed' side.

We have done several things with weaker teams, pulling players off and playing numbers down. We have played in games with seven players. Taking mostly JV players (we call them A/B players not ready yet for varsity but are training with us until their skills get better) and let them play with players on the varsity team who don't get alot of playing time. This is great experience for both type of players. Our goal is to keep it under 10, no matter what we have to do.

But I have confidence in Mike that he did what he could to keep the score down.
Agreed. He is a quality coach and I like the volunteered help to improve the OW area infrastructure.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HH, I think you had some bad intentions when you brought this up. I don't know if you opened anyone's eyes or shed any light on the situation. Other than to take a shot at a team/players/coaching staff, what was the point? What do you have against them?

im not sure what you mean by bad intentions but you are right that i was taking a shot at them. a shot for scoring 16 goals and 10 of them coming in the first 20 of the second half. not the first 10 goals of the game but 10 goals period.
really didnt start out to open up any eyes but if another coach keeps the score down then i guess it did. wont know until it happens.
if you read all my post i never took a shot at the players and stated this score wasnt on them.
as i also stated before i have nothing against irmo but against the score.
that make you happy jimmie.
Quote:

Well said Chass...

hey NW coach

are you going to say that when the score gets run up on you. i forgot. you pack the box these days.
i seem to remember you having a 13 goal lead on RH one time, the clock had stopped at the 2:OO mark and one of your starters still ripping shots.
are you done yet?
Fire the coaches and disband the team. That'll teach 'em. HH has spoken...
let's divide the roster and distribute the players to all of the lesser talented programs...
Yes! Start with South Aiken getting draft choice #1
If any team ever "let up" on me, I would feel disrespected. The year before I got to my club team, my girls got pounded over and over again and I once remembered them saying, Coach, a year ago, the only break we got was halftime, and the walk back to the midstripe after a goal was scored.lol.. That was three years ago. Last year they lost the state cup championship 1-0. It made them stronger I truly believe cause those big losses stuck with them. one more thing...just 2 months agoI started a new u-12 girls team and help as much as I can...I went to their first game a few weeks ago to coach in the place of our volunteer and the the other teams coach looks over at me just before the half after scoring his 6th goal...lifts up his shoulders to me as to say "sorry coach they're just falling in". So I in turn lifted my arms towards him and motioned "keep bringing it". I dont know, I'd just rather be scored on more, than to be chasing it around for an hour. And the girls felt the same. They didnt want to be let up on cause they were worse. They wanted to keep fighting! (even though they lost) Its a different situation for everyone I guess. So if you play us, bring it on and dont hold back cause thats how we would do.(or try to anyway) I probably wont get the opportunity to do this but I'd love to take the heat off of you Coach P.(and no I'm not at Irmo)
i smell what you're steppin' in...i'll draw up the contract.
Hey Hard Headed, that's only because it was rival Rock Hill

I would do it again too!
Quote:

...I probably wont get the opportunity to do this but I'd love to take the heat off of you Coach P.(and no I'm not at Irmo)

Thanks, but I'm a big boy now and I've got my fire proof underwear (Mr. Peabody invented them just for me and Sherman).
can I find them on ebay?!!
3/17 @ Wade Hampton (Greenville)

#15 Wade Hampton 10
Berea 0
Quote:

are you done yet?

nope
FYI

From the Georgia HS Association
Soccer "mercy rule" as follows:

1. If a team is 7 or more goals behind at the midpoint of the first half, that will be considered the end of the half, and the teams will play a 20-minute second half.

2. When a team is 10 or more goals behind in the second half, the game will be terminated.

There is a similar rule in Florida HS soccer.
Quote:

Hey Hard Headed, that's only because it was rival Rock Hill

I would do it again too!

you will have to wait for another year to do it again.
Another tight game against Barnwell, Dale.
I could easily score, but I am not going to! Why? Because I care about your feelings, I care about the game of soccer, and I care about the big picture!!

Tell you what, I am going to knock this ball back to our goalkeeper and we are going to do this all over again!

You guys keep fighting and we will keep playing.

We all get better!

Have fun!

It's that simple!

PS: I think taking players off is worse than scoring goals! Not only did we beat them 23 - 0, we did it with 8 players!!
Quote:

FYI

1. If a team is 7 or more goals behind at the midpoint of the first half, that will be considered the end of the half, and the teams will play a 20-minute second half.

2. When a team is 10 or more goals behind in the second half, the game will be terminated.

I like the idea, why dont we have this? Somewhat of a mercy rule would be kind of a respectful thing without having to forfeit the game.
In my opinion if anything should be said it should be against the boys team at Irmo. The girls team plays first and scores 16 then the boys game follows and puts up same score? Talk about really embarassing a school.
Quote:

In my opinion if anything should be said it should be against the boys team at Irmo. The girls team plays first and scores 16 then the boys game follows and puts up same score? Talk about really embarassing a school.

My dad used to coach against Savitz, hes a respectable man i don't believe he would simply run up the score against a team just to make a team look bad. I think Irmo is just going all out this year on there boys side not letting anything get in thier way of the state championship.
Oh yea. Im not talking bad about Coach Savitz or the Irmo boys. Im just surprised they didnt keep it around 10.
It is not good to see a score ever get that high, I would agree with a mercy rule being made dont they have it for baseball?.. it has resonable meaning to have one.
Yeah i know in baseball it is a ten run rule. But as long as O-W contiunes to play and just get better they will eventually be an ok team that can hang in games. And maybe some day they will be able to beat a team by double digits and we can argue about them.
You don't get better by having your games shortened and/or terminated as soon as you start getting way behind. You get better by staying on the pitch for the full 80, taking your lumps, and using every minute as an opportunity to figure out what the other team is doing right and what you can do better to stop it. If you keep the right attitude, you can get better by having someone whomp the bejeezus out of you until you figure out how to stop them from doing it...but not by rolling over and packing it in after half a match.

As one who's been on the losing end of what would be a "mercy rule" game, I would resent someone taking away my team's playing time and opportunity to get the experience they needed to improve.
And another thing...for HH...I know it looks bad to have a score like that, I agree...but if you have players on your team who have never had the opportunity to take a shot in a real game, and who can benefit and gain skill (and maybe future playing time) from the experience, it seems a little selfish to deny them the opportunity to use that time to the fullest just from an abstract sense of what YOU think is a "decent" score. Not saying I'd make the same decision, but I think that it's a bit much on the judgmental side to say someone's decision is "wrong" without knowing all the story, or to impose one person's sense of values on everyone else regardless of circumstance.
I can see both sides of this arguement but in a Pre-season game vs West Ashley beat us 16-0 whats the point of that?
By the way that was two years ago
DF 3 NW 0
3/18 Region I Scores

#12 Wren 2
#13 Byrnes 1 OT

#1 Mauldin 1
#9 TL Hanna 0

***Craig said the Lady Jackets weathered the storm the best they could, but a 10-6-4 could only take them so far. A noble effort vs WPS's newest team, the Carolina Mavericks!

Westside 8
Berea 0
Spartanburg 2
Ft. Mill 1
Quote:

FYI

Great rule. Let's adopt it.
A real close one in Sparkle City.
Spartanburg scored at 37:00 on a nice crossing pass to the far post with a finishing header. First half shots were 5 apiece. FM got on the board at 44:00 from Madison Paff (Ashton Wolfe assist.) It looked like Paff had the game winner at 75:00, but offside was called on another player. (We'll just label it a questionable call and move on.) With a minute to play, S'burg forward Ashley Long stripped the ball from a defender in the box and that was the ballgame.

Oh, and for those who have played on that sorry excuse for a field...this was the last match there. S'burg is moving all matches to USC Upstate
Quote:

Yes! Start with South Aiken getting draft choice #1

Puuuleeese!
Christ Church 2
Southside Christian 1
Quote:

Christ Church 2
Southside Christian 1

Great game. Nice shape and play, CC.
Its about time. Played against Spt. on that field all four years i was in highschool. Never enjoyed pouring sand out of my cleats after every game. haha
Thanks ROH. We are getting there. Seems like it takes a while every year. Looking forward to coming to God's Country next week.
Please give Marissa my best before surgery.
Quote:

Thanks ROH. We are getting there. Seems like it takes a while every year. Looking forward to coming to God's Country next week.
Please give Marissa my best before surgery.

Will do. Hope Hallie's shin is OK.
Ridge View - 2
@ AC Flora - 0
Don't like the mercy rule.

It could lead to a "contest" of who could end a game the fastest.
Quote:

Agreed. Didn't think of that angle.
Quote:

Another tight game against Barnwell, Dale.

Yup. You would think #5 AAA would beat #4 AA by at least 9 goals. Just didn't work out that way I guess...
Quote:

...or of who could draw it out the longest by playing keep-away before scoring the fatal goal.
Quote:

You don't get better by having your games shortened and/or terminated as soon as you start getting way behind. You get better by staying on the pitch for the full 80, taking your lumps, and using every minute as an opportunity to figure out what the other team is doing right and what you can do better to stop it. If you keep the right attitude, you can get better by having someone whomp the bejeezus out of you until you figure out how to stop them from doing it...but not by rolling over and packing it in after half a match.

As one who's been on the losing end of what would be a "mercy rule" game, I would resent someone taking away my team's playing time and opportunity to get the experience they needed to improve.

I'm right with you, its a moot point no one will ever agree on this 100% so therefore it probably wont be changed. My dad always told me you dont get better playing teams not as talented as you, You get better by playing teams that are 2x better than you are. Great point you made sir.
Post deleted by Dale Jr
Darn my spelling?
I remember posting "cut of your nose in spite of your face" instead of "to spite". My brain works too fast for my typing sometimes
wait for it...surely ROH has a comment about your brain being too fast for your driving
Quote:

I'm right with you, its a moot point no one will ever agree on this 100% so therefore it probably wont be changed. My dad always told me you dont get better playing teams not as talented as you, You get better by playing teams that are 2x better than you are. Great point you made sir.

FM should have a leg up on getting better this weekend, then. We have the NC AAA #2 team Friday night and the Georgia AAA defending State Finalists Saturday night
What is a defending state finalist?
Quote:

Isnt that the ultimate goal? To end the game as quick as possible?
The team that got to the finals and lost. They won it the year before. In SC, it would be the defending Upper or Lower State champion, but GA doesn't do it that way, I believe.
Georgia...always messing stuff up.
has anyone noticed lancaster is 8-0
scored 56 goals and given up 1.
Quote:

wait for it...surely ROH has a comment about your brain being too fast for your driving

Glad to find out about his having one.
Quote:

And yes the teams they have beaten have a combined 2 wins and 20 losses?
Quote:

Quote:

And yes the teams they have beaten have a combined 2 wins and 20 losses?

you ever played a team with a bunch of losses?
give the kids some love.
Should we give them some love for going 8-0 with a 56-1 goal ratio, or flame them for running up 9-0 scores against three different teams (2 1A and one 2A) and 8-0 on another?

I'm confused.

But I'd rather go with the positive.
Seriously, it's good for the Lancaster girls to be coming out with such a strong start--good momentum going into the meat of the season.
3/17
Wade Hampton-Hampton 7
Battery Creek 0

3/18
Wade Hampton-Hampton 5
Colleton 1
Congrats to Lancaster for the blistering start! Ridge View, Blythewood, and Spring Valley will be the eye openers.

In 2005, with a favorable (ahem...weak) schedule to open the season, Westside started 8-0-1, outscoring our opponents 63-7. Then came Wren, Greenwood, and Hanna (11-0, 9-0, and 9-0 losses respectively).

Back then, in my naivety, I thought, "Man, if I have the most wins and the most goals in the state, I should be ranked." But the powers that be knew all too well that the true test of my team's mettle lay in its showings versus the 3 traditionally strongest teams in Region I. And I was outscored 29-0.

Hopefully Lancaster fares better against the meat of their region, and is prepared for the HUGE difference in talent come March 24th when they meet Ridge View.
Quote:

I remember posting "cut of your nose in spite of your face" instead of "to spite". My brain works too fast for my typing sometimes

Nice to know im not the only one.
If I know I'm not winning region, I'm scheduling easy and making sure the girls enjoy the season. Lancaster doesn't appear to be a contender, but hopefully they are having fun along the way.
Quote:

Should we give them some love for going 8-0 with a 56-1 goal ratio, or flame them for running up 9-0 scores against three different teams (2 1A and one 2A) and 8-0 on another?

I'm confused.

atleast they stopped at 9.
im not sure why you are confused or is it just you coaches sticking together.
Quote:

Congrats to Lancaster for the blistering start! Ridge View, Blythewood, and Spring Valley will be the eye openers.

In 2005, with a favorable (ahem...weak) schedule to open the season, Westside started 8-0-1, outscoring our opponents 63-7. Then came Wren, Greenwood, and Hanna (11-0, 9-0, and 9-0 losses respectively).

Back then, in my naivety, I thought, "Man, if I have the most wins and the most goals in the state, I should be ranked." But the powers that be knew all too well that the true test of my team's mettle lay in its showings versus the 3 traditionally strongest teams in Region I. And I was outscored 29-0.

Hopefully Lancaster fares better against the meat of their region, and is prepared for the HUGE difference in talent come March 24th when they meet Ridge View.

im sure lancaster will not far better because ridgview is up next and they are a good team. might be smart on the coaches part and good for the girls confidence to get those early 8 wins and have a good chance of finishing 500. instead of 0 for nothing.
Coaches sticking together in times of attack? That's crazy talk! We know we "far better" when we work separately
Quote:

Coaches sticking together in times of attack? That's crazy talk! We know we "far better" when we work separately

how do you figure coaches being attacked there jimmie?
Coach. Singular. The rest of us just like to join in.
We always beats me.
Amen, brother.
Quote:

Coach. Singular. The rest of us just like to join in.

there was no attack. i didnt like the high score and i guess some of you did.
Gotcha.
Quote:

Quote:

I'm confused.

I guess I was just a little confused by the same person both praising and vilifying lopsided scoring within the same thread on the same day; I'm trying to figure out exactly where the arbitrary dividing line is between a team/coach that should be proud of themselves for scoring a lot of goals and a team/coach that should be ashamed of themselves for scoring too many goals. Perhaps we should come together as a forum to decide on a standard threshold of sportsmanlike scoring, perhaps using a sliding scale of relative rankings, number of substitutions, previous records, and injuries. If coaches have a clearly defined set of expectations, they can make the choice to stay within the boundaries that separate the attaboys from the razzies.
I just got spanked last night by a very good Dutch Fork team 3-0. The shot count was about 32 to 2 my girls still stepped off the pitch pretty confident.

I am a firm believer in playing better teams in order to make your team better, not give your team false hopes by taking on weaker opponents.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm confused.

I guess I was just a little confused by the same person both praising and vilifying lopsided scoring within the same thread on the same day; I'm trying to figure out exactly where the arbitrary dividing line is between a team/coach that should be proud of themselves for scoring a lot of goals and a team/coach that should be ashamed of themselves for scoring too many goals. Perhaps we should come together as a forum to decide on a standard threshold of sportsmanlike scoring, perhaps using a sliding scale of relative rankings, number of substitutions, previous records, and injuries. If coaches have a clearly defined set of expectations, they can make the choice to stay within the boundaries that separate the attaboys from the razzies.

maybe we should find out if the 9th goal came late in the game or in the first 20 mins of the second half.
Quote:

I just got spanked last night by a very good Dutch Fork team 3-0. The shot count was about 32 to 2 my girls still stepped off the pitch pretty confident.

I am a firm believer in playing better teams in order to make your team better, not give your team false hopes by taking on weaker opponents.

did they feel good because they played well? would they still feel good if 13 more of those 32 went in.there is nothing wrong with playing better teams.
Quote:

maybe we should find out if the 9th goal came late in the game or in the first 20 mins of the second half.

Not sure if it makes much of a difference whether a team keeps scoring early, or if they lay off for a while and then hammer a few in at the end to say they still can. Been on both ends of that one too...can't say it made much difference.
It is all a matter of choice and class.
Christ Church at Landrum rescheduled due to lightning in the area for about an hour. Game will be replayed 4/30/09 at 5:30 pm at Landrum.
Mann 2, Riverside 1 per a parent of one of the players. CONFIRMED.

Mann 4, Chapin 2 earlier this week.

Please confirm, but this is the info that I have.
Quote:

That's about the best way it can be stated.
Quote:

Quote:

That's about the best way it can be stated.

Thanks, Coach Class.
Ok, we've all hugged and patted each other. Time to move on. ROH vs CC in the Viking Cup's opening round in 2010!!!
CC = Coach Class or Christ Church. No offense, Coach Class, but I hope it's you! Then we can do pregame shrimp.
Barnwell 6
Wade Hampton-H 0

4-0 at half
Barnwell is rocking. I'll let Coach know at BR. You know he gave us his original coaching handwritten practice plans from his Barnwell days. Those probably should be in the Barnwell Hall of Fame.
Daniel 5
Seneca 0
Daniel was 1-0-0-2 this week. One win, two rainouts. Nice job, big D.
Shannon Forest- 2
Carolina Day- 0 Game called at halftime due to storms.
Okay with the 5-0 win, but we could have finished a lot better. And I lost two players for tomorrow night, both from being fouled. One was taken out by a from behind, studs-up slide, the kind that draws a straight red in the EPL. I won't mention what the actual call was.
At Sumter

Blythewood 2

Sumter 1
Quote:

CC = Coach Class or Christ Church. No offense, Coach Class, but I hope it's you! Then we can do pregame shrimp.

I'm up for a big helping of Frogmore Stew! (Anyone unfamiliar, just ask!)
Greenville News 3/20:

Women's Varsity:
Mann 2, Riverside 1
Woodmont 6, West Oak 0
Hillcrest 6, Boiling Springs 0
Shannon Forest 2, Carolina Day 0
St. Josephs 4, Heathwood Hall 2
Congrats to the Greer Varsity girls who defeated Southside 2-1 last week.
Hillcrest hammered Boiling Springs...they most certainly are back. BS was the tough, up and coming squad last year, but looks like Hillcrest will wear that hat this year.
Girls' Varsity: Chester 3, Union County 2 on 3/19 at Chester
Hillcrest (5-0) vs Wren (6-0) would've been a great preview of two talented, undefeated AAAA squads had they been able to meet each other in the finals of the Easley Greenwave Cup!

Both teams play very differently, but both are well-coached and good at what they do.

Next week is big for Hillcrest:

3/23 vs Byrnes
3/27 at Spartanburg

Wren meets #9 TL Hanna on 3/27.
Quote:

Hillcrest (5-0) vs Wren (6-0) would've been a great preview of two talented, undefeated AAAA squads had they been able to meet each other in the finals of the Easley Greenwave Cup!

Ouch! Let me pull that dagger out of my back!
In fairness, Rollie, I DID say, "had they been able to" implying that forces other than the weather, such as the girls soccer team at Blue Ridge High School, could have prevented such a thing from happening.
Just a gig buddy. No harm, no foul. I was hoping for a Westside-Blue Ridge final....
A girls soccer score in the Anderson Independent-Mail this morning had the following scoreline:

Stephens County 5
Eastside 4

Does anyone know if this is accurate?
Quote:

A girls soccer score in the Anderson Independent-Mail this morning had the following scoreline:

Stephens County 5
Eastside 4

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

NOT the Eastside #4 from Greenville. May be a middle school or elementary school score. There is a Westside (obviously); is there an Eastside in Anderson?
We don't have an Eastside Middle in Anderson. Maybe there's an Eastside High somewhere in Georgia, since the Ind.-Mail covers some western GA schools as well. Just thought it sounded odd, as I don't think Stephens County is a powerhouse.
THE Eastside is in the Fort Mill BB & T in Rock Hill near Fort Mill this weekend.
Hillcrest played its best game of the season last night in its 6-0 victory against Boiling Springs. Everyone thought this would be a closer game than it was,but Hillcrest scored early and kinda took the wind out of Boilings Springs sails. Stephanie Devita took the game over in the second half scoring 2 goals and getting an assist all in the first 15 minutes. She is a player to watch. Next week will be the real test for Hillcrest. They play Byrnes and Spartanburg. A win here and I would say they are for real.
Quote:

Barnwell is rocking. I'll let Coach know at BR. You know he gave us his original coaching handwritten practice plans from his Barnwell days. Those probably should be in the Barnwell Hall of Fame.

Hopefully we can continue and finish the season as strong as we have started. Our real test will come in the Lady Eagle Classic even though we will be missing three key contributors for the tournament!! I contribute much of our success to the preseason schedule and early games that we have played. Therefore we are prepared for any thing that is thrown our way.
Ramsdad,
That's awesome. I know a certain Mauldin player that is not laughing anymore. Coach Younts is doing a great job with that team. If he keeps it up, I could see "Coach of the Year" honors.
West Ashley 2
James Island 0
0-0 at halftime.
Mauldin 3
Dorman 1
Wando 1
Summerville 0
Spartanburg 1
@ Byrnes 0
@ Sumter

Dreher 1 : Sumter 0

Dreher goal - Ashley Konkle
TL Hanna 5
Westside 0

Goal (assist)
Morgan Cutts (Casey Craft)
Katie Bryan (Morgan Cutts)
Mariana Anderson (unassisted)
Casey Craft (Ashley Davis)
Casey Craft (penalty Kick)
Irmo 3 - 0 Aiken

Goals:
50' - Dherckers (Warder)
56' - Warder (Werdunn)
71' - Dherckers (Werdunn)
Quote:

Wando 1
Summerville 0

About a 50/50 game with an edge to Summerville. The Wando goal was scored from a corner that was pinging around everywhere in front of the goal. Ref made bad offsides calls for both teams. The one against Summerville caused a goal to be called back. Summerville defense was tight. Wando made error after error on the defensive end and Summerville did not finish.
I was hoping it was just because it was a toss-away scrimmage, but it seems my disappointment in Wando in the Alumni game isn't hitting too far off. =(
@ the Fort:

Fort Dorchester 3-0 Berkeley
South Aiken 5
BC 2

Hope Molly Harpe of TLH is ok. Heard she had a rough injury.
Airport 2
Swansea 0
Ridge View 2
@ Spring Valley 1
Quote:

South Aiken 5
BC 2

Hope Molly Harpe of TLH is ok. Heard she had a rough injury.

Broken fibula. I really feel for her. For those that saw the Mauldin match this week you know how well she is playing and how important she is to our team as a player and leader. So far they don't think there is any ligament damage. The injury itself was a little freakish. Early in the game she was dribbling with the ball and just stepped on it.

The ironic thing is that she has never missed a start for Hanna going all the way back to jv even though she plays very hard. Now she gets hurt without contact.
Ridge View 2
Spring Valley 0

......and Rock Hill is in good position to reach the finals of the Fort Mill Invitational.

That region is becoming more competitive than anyone thought before the season started!

(Don't forget Blythewood.)
Quote:

Mauldin 3
Dorman 1

Mauldin created many chances in the first 25 minutes,they scored from a corner and then lost momentum. Dorman who came to win, pressured them, also scoring from a corner and the half time score was representative of a very closely contested game. Mauldin got the upper hand in the second half with more through balls and crosses behind the defence, scoring from a penalty and a fast break involving some excellent passes. An exciting game.
Quote:

Quote:

Wando 1
Summerville 0

About a 50/50 game with an edge to Summerville. The Wando goal was scored from a corner that was pinging around everywhere in front of the goal. Ref made bad offsides calls for both teams. The one against Summerville caused a goal to be called back. Summerville defense was tight. Wando made error after error on the defensive end and Summerville did not finish.

Wando missed starting mid-fielder Fellabom due to state chorus - she is the anchor of their midfield and makes a huge difference to their offense with her height and team play by winning most of the balls in air. Summerville capitalized on this weekness and Fletcher dominated by stepping up and picking off balls. You just can't out last Wando though, they are fast and deep and are VERY WELL COACHED. Hopefully Summmerville will learn from this loss and try to change things up. Tired of same old song, just a different year.
CJ,
I really hate to hear about Molly’s injury. She was really playing well and caused Mauldin all kind of problems Wednesday. Her throw-ins were unbelievable. I hope she has a fast recovery.
Spartanburg @ Byrnes was 0-0 after 65 minutes. Vikings dominated but unable to threaten in the final third. Two freekicks hit the crossbar. What was the final score?
Can anyone tell us a little about the #1JL Mann win over #2Riverside Thursday night?
Fellabom would definately make an impact. However, she would not impact poor individual play of missed, bobbled balls over and over again. Summerville was faster and had many opportunities to score on the poor ball handling. It is not rocket science to read which side to take the ball up. Summerville's defense was strong and the offense was strong...just could not capitalize.
Both teams' (Westside and Hanna) prayers go out for Molly Harpe. As Craig said, freakish injury very early in the match.

TL Hanna controlled play and played a very fast, very skilled game. Score was 1-0 at the half. 3-0 with 6 minutes left, before two very late goals. The Lady Jackets kept the pressure on Westside the entire match, which was a fast paced, defensive battle for Lady Rams to say the least.

Next Friday, 3/27, TL Hanna takes on Wren for early control of the Region I-AAAA race.
Pinewood Prep 6
Hilton Head Prep 2

4-1 at Half
Daniel lost 0-2 to Woodmont. We were playing without Courtney Adair (prior commitment--this was rescheduled from earlier in the week), Emily Brown (injured at Seneca Thursday night), and Roxanne Kyriakakis (viciously taken down from behind Thursday night--no call, much less the expected straight red). Woodmont was also missing a key player. They played very well.
We were hampered by the presence of one referee who is overtly biased against the Daniel girls, but apparently there is nothing one can do against unethical referees.
Quote:

Pinewood Prep 6
Hilton Head Prep 2

4-1 at Half

White Knoll 2

North Augusta 0
Quote:

White Knoll 2

North Augusta 0

I thought the Airport game was a fluke, but apparently not. This makes the Lexington game all the more interesting.
Quote:

Quote:

White Knoll 2

North Augusta 0

I thought the Airport game was a fluke, but apparently not. This makes the Lexington game all the more interesting.

Jr - You'll have to tell me why this makes the Lexington game more interesting. WK has to play at Dutch Fork this week.
Quote:

Ridge View 2
Spring Valley 0

......and Rock Hill is in good position to reach the finals of the Fort Mill Invitational.

That region is becoming more competitive than anyone thought before the season started!

this week's rankings:

Ridgeview 13th
Spring Valley 14th
Blythwood 15th.
Rock Hill beats NW in the Ft Mill tourny
Quote:

Quote:

Ridge View 2
Spring Valley 0

this week's rankings:

Ridgeview 13th
Spring Valley 14th
blythwood 15th.
Rock Hill beats NW in the Ft Mill tourny

ITS GETTIN HOT IN HERE! (REGION IV)(*BLYTHEWOOD)
Only seen Ridgeview play so far. They are a very good team. Will get to see Blythewood this week.
Quote:

Only seen Ridgeview play so far. They are a very good team. Will get to see Blythewood this week.

A Rock Hill fan/coach then? im guessing so.. or lancaster
Fan.

Blythewood,Ridgeview,Spring Valley is going to be fun to watch battle for the top 3 spots.
Quote:

Fan.

Blythewood,Ridgeview,Spring Valley is going to be fun to watch battle for the top 3 spots.

Why count out Rock Hill they have some good players that will most definatly give all 3 of those teams a run for thier money?
still about a goal or two behind those three. they could upset one of those three if they are not careful.
Quote:

still about a goal or two behind those three. they could upset one of those three if they are not careful.

Best of luck to Rock Hill, always a fan of the underdogs.
HEY!!!!! When did we stop being one of the underdogs?

..and I am really wondering myself just what the region standings are going to look like come Spring Break Week....

I need to find out what our region tie breakers are~~~~

tk
Quote:

HEY!!!!! When did we stop being one of the underdogs?

..and I am really wondering myself just what the region standings are going to look like come Spring Break Week....

I need to find out what our region tie breakers are~~~~

tk

I think the boys in Region IV are having that same problem. :P 3 teams tied so far.
Anyone know what happened with Hillcrest. I know they won Thursday night and moved up in the ranking Saturday. Then the score was reversed and they dropped out of the top 15.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

White Knoll 2

North Augusta 0

Jr - You'll have to tell me why this makes the Lexington game more interesting. WK has to play at Dutch Fork this week.

1. Scott, White Knoll won 1 game last year.

2. They have already defeated 2 ranked teams in season play

3. Lexington is replacing a lot of experience this year and hasn't hit their stride yet.
The Hillcrest score is still 6-0 in favor of Hillcrest. I noticed the change too. Either way, they are still undefeated and still have two tough challenges to face this week. If they get through those, I imagine whatever number is beside their name come Sunday, it'll be even prettier than #11.
Waccamaw 1 West Florence 0
Hard fought match, West Florence's starting goalie out with the flu but the backup played well both against NMB,Waccamaw, and Hartsville(hadn't played goalie since she was in the 6th grade).

West Florence 6 Hartsville 0
Ridgeview Ladies: 8
Lancaster: 0
North Augusta - 2
Irmo -1
Quote:

North Augusta - 2
Irmo -1

That is one crazy region!
Quote:

North Augusta - 2
Irmo -1

Scoring:
27': NA - Morales (Gillespie)
58': I - Warder (Dherckers)
80': NA - Morales (Unassisted)

According to the referee keeping the time, there were 48 seconds left when NA scored the game winner.
Quote:

That is one crazy region!

Dutch Fork 1 - 0 White Knoll
OW 1 - 6 Lexington

Anyone have a score on Aiken vs RNE?
© SC Soccer