SC Soccer
You are invited to attend the Hungry Howie’s Pizza Invitational tournament for high school girls’ varsity teams which will be held April 17-19, 2009 on the campus of Irmo High School at 6671 St Andrews Road, Columbia, SC. Matches will be played in W C Hawkins Stadium at the corner of St Andrews Rd & Emory Lane and on the Irmo Practice fields across the street from the front of the school on St Andrews Rd.

The following teams are scheduled to participate:
Blythewood
Daniel
Dutch Fork
Irmo
Ridge View
Riverside
Spring Valley
TL Hanna

A Hungry Howies’ Pizza Invitational web site has been set up thanks to Columbia United FC. The site has the schedule, rules, and other information. Please visit the web site at http://www.columbiaunitedfc.com/hstournaments/irmogirlsvarsity/index_E.html.

Thanks also to the tournament title sponsor, Hungry Howie's Pizza at 6801 St Andrews Road. Please stop by the restaurant during your visit to the tournament.
The following changes have been made to the schedule for the Hungry Howie's Pizza Invitational:

- Kick-offs for the consolation round matches have been moved to 4:00 PM instead of 4:30.

- Kick-offs for the semi-final round matches have been moved to 6:00 PM instead of 6:30.

- Shootouts to break ties in standings after the preliminary rounds, if necessary, will be held at 3:00 PM instead of 3:30.

- Sunday's championship game will be played in W C Hawkins Stadium instead of on Practice Field 1.

These changes are reflected in the schedule on the Hungry Howie's Invitational web site.
Please note that we have had to make some minor schedule changes that only effect the location of games and not the times or opponents:

Saturday games previously scheduled on Practice Field 1 have been moved to WC Hawkins Stadium.

Saturday games previously scheduled on Practice Field 2 have been moved to Practice Field 1.

The schedule with these changes applied is as follows:

HUNGRY HOWIE’S PIZZA INVITATIONAL

PRELIMINARY ROUND 1 - Friday, April 17
5:30 PM - Irmo vs. Blythewood on Practice Field #1
5:30 PM - Dutch Fork vs. Ridge View on Practice Field #2
6:30 PM - Riverside vs. Spring Valley at WC Hawkins Stadium
8:30 PM - T L Hanna vs. Daniel at WC Hawkins Stadium

PRELIMINARY ROUND 2 - Saturday, April 18
9:30 AM - Ridge View vs. Irmo at WC Hawkins Stadium
9:30 AM - Daniel vs. Blythewood on Practice Field #1
11:30 AM - Dutch Fork vs. Riverside at WC Hawkins Stadium
11:30 AM - Spring Valley vs. TL Hanna on Practice Field #1

CONSOLATION ROUND - Saturday, April 18
4:00 PM - 5th Place vs. 6th Place at WC Hawkins Stadium
4:00 PM - 7th Place vs. 8th Place on Practice Field #1

SEMIFINAL ROUND - Saturday, April 18
6:00 PM - 1st Place vs. 4th Place at WC Hawkins Stadium
6:00 PM - 2nd Place vs. 3rd Place on Practice Field #1

CHAMPIONSHIP - Sunday, April 19
2:00 PM - Semifinal #1 Winner vs. Semifinal #2 Winner at WC Hawkins Stadium
The Hungry Howie's Invitational begins today with two matches at 5:30 PM on the practice fields behind the bus parking lot across St. Andrews Road from Irmo High School. Additional matches will take place tonight at WC Hawkins Stadium at 6:30 PM and 8:30 PM. You are invited to come out to see some great girls high school soccer.

Admission is $5.00 for a single game and $10.00 for a tournament pass good for all games.

For schedule and results visit the tournament web page.
Hungry Howie's Invitational debuts today at Irmo
Quote:

Hungry Howie's Invitational debuts today at Irmo

The State kinda got those times wrong didn't they.
Well, they got this one wrong: "T.L. Hanna vs. Daniel at 6:30 p.m" which is actually at 8:30 PM tonight. And they have the Saturday morning matches at 9:30 and 11:30 PM instead of AM.
Quote:

Well, they got this one wrong: "T.L. Hanna vs. Daniel at 6:30 p.m" which is actually at 8:30 PM tonight. And they have the Saturday morning matches at 9:30 and 11:30 PM instead of AM.

Yeah, that Daniel/Hanna match time scared me for a moment. The DHS girls won't even get there until about 7.
Round 1 Results, April 17

Irmo 2-2 Blythewood
Dutch Fork 3-1 Ridgeview
Riverside 2-2 Spring Valley
TL Hanna 6-0 Daniel

Standings after Round 1:

TL Hanna - 10 Points
Dutch Fork - 9
Blythewood - 5
Irmo - 5
Riverside - 5
Sprng Valley - 5
Ridge View - 1
Daniel - 0
If they can both get their points out of round two, TLH vs DF would be a nice final.
Saturday morning results:
Ridge View 2-2 Irmo
Daniel 0-3 Blythewood
Dutch Fork 4-0 Riverside
Spring Valley 1-2 T L Hanna

This afternoon's games:
4:00 5th place match - Spring Valley vs Ridge View - Stadium
4:00 7th place mach - Riverside vs Daniel - Practice Field 1
6:00 Semifinal 1 - Dutch Fork vs Irmo - Stadium
6:00 Semifinal 2 - TL Hanna vs Blythewood - Practice Field 1
Quote:

If they can both get their points out of round two, TLH vs DF would be a nice final.

You got your wish! We play DF tomorrow at 2pm.

TLH 2 Blythewood 0

Those were two tired teams out there but the play was good. The highlight of the day was finally meeting the stumpduck himself!
Saturday afternoon/evening results:

Spring Valley 2-2 Ridgeview
Riverside 2-0 Daniel
Dutch Fork 1-0 Irmo
TL Hanna 2-0 Blythewood

Final Tommorrow, 2:00 PM at WC Hawkins Stadium:
Dutch Fork vs TL Hanna
Great job Hanna! Great job DF! See if I can't drive up and watch.
Quote:

Great job Hanna! Great job DF! See if I can't drive up and watch.

...and bring birthday boy with you. We would all love to see him.

Oh, and how about the 5 winning tonight!
Quote:

Those were two tired teams out there but the play was good. The highlight of the day was finally meeting the stumpduck himself!

Why thank you sir- must have been a slow day for highlights.................. HOWEVER let me say it was an honor to finally meet the other half of the Young/Joyner calamity. Just wish you hadn't knocked out ANOTHER one of my keepers.... I am running out of make-shifts to put in the goal. Don’t suppose the HSL would let me get one “on loan” from another team just to finish out the season would they?
We're fighting a tooth coming in (MONSTER MOLAR) so let me see what the little man can do. The 5? Didn't mind that one bit
so I am sitting here at Panera Bread killing time watching the clouds coming in...I am about sick of rain.

never thought I would say that.
Yeah, looked at weather.com and thought I got wet enough last time we played BC. Good luck bud...and your girls, too, Vickers.
Stump,

Pull a girl off of your lacrosse team!

Everyone knows the best girl athletes at Blythewood play lacrosse.
It's a dream start for Dutch Fork as Stephanie Gauthier (sp?) gives the Foxes an early 1-0 lead over TLH.
Quote:

Stump,

Ouch
At the half......

DF 1
TLH 0
DF 2
TLH 1

13 minutes remaining.
Final

DF 2
TLH 1

Stephanie G with both goals for the Silver Foxes.
2009 Hungry Howie's Invitational

Final Standings:
1st: Dutch Fork
2nd: TL Hanna
3rd: Blythewood
4th: Irmo
5th: Spring Valley
6th: Ridge View
7th: Riverside
8th: Daniel

All-Tournament Team

Stephanie Gauthier, Dutch Fork - MVP
Sarah Haacker, Dutch Fork
Dorothy Gasiorowska, Dutch Fork
Kyle Maguire, Dutch Fork
Summer Miller, TL Hanna
Casey Craft, TL Hanna
Marianna Anderson, TL Hanna
Lee Ferrell, Blythewood
Aubrey Marini, Blythewood
Amy Dherckers, Irmo
Abby Frick, Irmo
Shayla Chavis, Ridge View
Danielle Shaw, Spring Valley
Anna Tarry, Riverside
Chelsea Bryan, Daniel
Good job Lady Silver Foxes, impressive weekend by all you girls. You make your families proud!!!
Thanks for the play-by-play, Hurst...good to see a girls' tournament getting some real-time publicity and recognition here.
Quote:

Stump,

Ha Ha Ha..... Hey Hurst!!! I had a buddy up your way look up your address because I was going to hand write and snail mail you a nice letter thanking you for that absolutely great advice, but somehow I accidentally forwarded it along to the NON- Lacrosse female athletes at school.... sorry……..
Stump,

You know I'm just giving you the business.....just paying tribute to your school's fine ladies lacrosse team. My niece plays lax for Wando and they put the hammer down on Fort Mill Friday night. Saturday afternoon, the Lady Bengals took care of Wando. I think your girls are in the state club lacrosse finals....probably facing Hilton Head?

Anyway....their season should be done. Can't you borrow one of those girls and throw her in goal?
Hey Hurst --- yes sir, I know you were just pulling the chain and I definitely agree about the Lax team. A GREAT group of girls and athletes. We bicker back and forth about practice space, but actually have a pretty good relationship. A few of them actually hang out in the room with my soccer girls during lunch and one might even go with us on some soccer college visits to try and catch up with the Lax coaches, the same one who helps one of my ACL girls tote her stuff between classes.

There is a player or two we could pull up for a few games to play goalie until Gabby gets back, but I think I am going to try and have the girls pull through all of this as “the team” rather than with a temporary patch to be pealed off latter. I might be crazy or stupid or BOTH- but I think it will help build the team and get us ready for a hopeful playoff “run” and then maybe even more so – next year……
I want to thank Mike, Paul, and the Irmo volunteers for their tireless work to make this a great tournament. We had a fantastic experience and will be back again next year.

I also want to thank Bem Rivers for the breathtaking 3'x5' team poster that we were given for free. It will be given a place of honor at our school.

Oh, and a big thank you to the title sponsor Hungry Howie's Pizza. Friday night was hilarious when the pizza guy brought several pizzas down onto the stadium pitch after our game and my girls were munching away while doing their post-game stretch. I took a picture of them to post on our website.

It was a great weekend and great way to prepare for the stretch run of the season.

Thanks Mike!
Here is a link to Bem's website. You have to scroll down to the bottom to see the Dutch Fork (grrr) and Hanna pictures.

http://www.scsportsfan.com/
So you, me, and Jimmy Johnson have gone the way of the beard, eh?
Oh, that's Craig in the photo? I thought it was a bear!
after many years of shaving I have learned that if you have a beard you only have to trim it once a week or so. Very convenient.
You could replace Hugh Jackman as Wolverine!
Makes him look more edjukated.
Quote:

2009 Hungry Howie's Invitational

Final Standings:
1st: Dutch Fork
2nd: TL Hanna
3rd: Blythewood
4th: Irmo
5th: Spring Valley
6th: Ridge View
7th: Riverside
8th: Daniel

Based on the Week #7 Rankings released yesterday, seven of the eight Hungry Howie's Invitational teams are ranked in the top 15 of their respective classes.
Dutch Fork - AAAA #2
TL Hanna - AAAA #4
Blythewood - AAAA #15
Irmo - AAAA #7
Spring Valley - AAAA #12
Ridge View - AAAA #9
Riverside - AAA #4
Quote:

Thanks for the play-by-play, Hurst...good to see a girls' tournament getting some real-time publicity and recognition here.

Second that, thanks Hurst..far be it for the State Newspaper to provide any publicity!!
I agree that the tournament was a huge success. Thanks to the entire Irmo staff for a great weekend. It was nice to be able to play some teams from the upstate. The tournament was well organized and the stadium field was in great shape. We look forward to playing in the tournament next year.

Hayne
That's a nice team you have there Hayne. I had heard good things about your girls and they didn't disappoint.

Good luck the rest of the way!
© SC Soccer