SC Soccer
Posted By: LadyVolDad Working your keepers - 04/30/09 01:07 AM
I am a keepers dad and have the gray hair, pocket full of Tums, and portable defibrillator to prove it. This season I have seen some outstanding keeper play by many of our opponents. It has been wonderful to watch and is much better overall goalkeeping than I have seen in seasons past, both in high school and club ball. Just to ask the coaches out there, do you see the same? Are you practicing your keepers more, or differently? What's up?
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 03:05 AM
Not a coach, but also a keeper's dad. My theory is we are seeing the result of more and more clubs having added keeper specific training to their programs. Most of the better keepers in high school also play club, so the high schools benefit. I know my daughter has improved greatly as a result of keeper specific training, both through her club and private lessons (before the club offered it).
Posted By: Keeperwatcher Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 03:09 AM
Who would you rate as some of the top keepers in the state this year?
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 11:08 AM
Caitlin Fountain, Blue Ridge. 4 year starter, 15+ career shutouts, 541 minute school record shutout streak from last year. 7 shutouts this year. Also the leading scorer on the Blue Ridge team this year as she comes out and plays midfield/forward.
Posted By: cbunce@vt.edu Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 12:23 PM
dont know names, but for 3A, the keepers at chapin and south aiken are very solid.
Posted By: mavsupporter Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 12:28 PM
Morgan Hert of Mauldin AAAA region 2 is outstanding and she has committed to play for the Lady Tigers.
Posted By: Man City FC Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 01:10 PM

I have watched Morgan play for CESA. She is great keeper. Good Luck with the Lady Tigers.
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 01:47 PM
Quote:

Katie Tate, Woodmont. Committed to play for USC (So. Cal.) next year.
Posted By: HeTakesPictures Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 02:50 PM
Quote:

I am a keepers dad and have the gray hair, pocket full of Tums, and portable defibrillator to prove it.

I love it...I know the feeling. Let get rid of PKs :-)

My son (I know, wrong subject heading), was born to be a keeper (what ever that means), but until about 3 years ago he didn't have the proper training, and he really struggled. His club started having special keeper training, and then our high school picked up a keeper coach. Wow! What a difference it made. Not only did he learn what and when to do things, it also gave him the confidence that what he was doing was the right thing (no hesitation - make a decision, either right or wrong, but make it. You can evaluate your decision after the game)

If your club has separate keeper training, make sure you take advantage off it. You might even look into some keeper camps.

Good Luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwlZY1ps-g
Posted By: LadyVolDad Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 05:11 PM
Thanks HeTakes Pictures! I am sure there are several of us out there. My daughter had to fill in as a keeper in a tournament in Statesville, NC when she was a U11 and has basically been in the goal ever since. It was ugly at first but she has attended one or two camps every summer and had specialty keeper training from an outstanding keeper coach in Augusta. It has made a difference, as have just growing older and gaining more experience. Like any player she has good games and not so good games but she says all of the time that she "just loves the sport". That is the reason I am LadyVolDad. She joins the Tennessee Lady Vol Soccer squad this summer.
Posted By: WormBurner Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 05:15 PM
Quote:

Amelia Henderson at Wando (also plays premier on the 92's BFA team) and the keeper at Berkeley HS. Coach Chass can provide her name.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 05:37 PM
Her name is Katelyn Harnage; she has also played three years at CUSC on the '90 Girls White team--unfortunately for us she is graduating this year, but she has been our starting keeper since her freshman year. She has worked hard since her first day in goal, and has helped us build our defense and drop our Goals Allowed tally drastically. She does make some very acrobatic saves!
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Working your keepers - 04/30/09 08:44 PM
Wormburner:
Is your keeper position stronger this year or last year?
Posted By: Man City FC Re: Working your keepers - 05/01/09 03:06 PM

Quote:

Katie Tate, Woodmont. Committed to play for USC (So. Cal.) next year.

Wow... I can't believe I forgot about Katie, she is an outstanding player and she also plays in the field and takes PK's for Woodmont.

Good Luck next year at The USC.
Posted By: brian Re: Working your keepers - 05/01/09 04:20 PM
Danielle van Hulst is an incredible keeper playing for colleton county. Anyone that has played us has watched her put on a display.
Posted By: LadyVolDad Re: Working your keepers - 05/02/09 02:11 AM
What about keeper comparison by clubs versus the high schools they attend? Do most of the outstanding keepers stay close, i.e. play at high schools near their club areas and vice versa? Dou you think CESA keepers might be better than CUFC, or Bridge, Lexington, Bulls, etc, or maybe some other club has a better keeper program? I take it as a given that larger clubs have better keeper training and expose good keepers to higher levels of play. Is there a trend of better keepers coming from certain areas? What camps or training are our better keepers attending? If you look on topdrawesoccer and similar sites, they don't do a very good job highlighting our South Carolina keepers. How are our keepers getting noticed? Lots of questions!
Posted By: Kevin Roberts Re: Working your keepers - 05/03/09 04:54 AM
Quote:

Her name is Katelyn Harnage; she has also played three years at CUSC on the '90 Girls White team--unfortunately for us she is graduating this year, but she has been our starting keeper since her freshman year. She has worked hard since her first day in goal, and has helped us build our defense and drop our Goals Allowed tally drastically. She does make some very acrobatic saves!

Chass.... Katelyn is definately one of the best goalkeepers I have seen every year in our self proclaimed rivalry i hope that she misses our game due to family function or something of that nature i have seen her make some incredible stops over the years I wish her all the best in the future.
Posted By: WormBurner Re: Working your keepers - 05/03/09 03:29 PM
Quote:

Wormburner:
Is your keeper position stronger this year or last year?

They are both strong and Amelia is only a Sophomore. Jade, as a Junior last year had more experience. Amelia is missing the luxury of Sandi Hudson leading the defense and having Olivia Urig drop back when needed.

Amelia's saves against Parkview, GA were as spectacular as any saves I've seen at any level of soccer. I did not get to see the PK save against ACR, but heard it was incredible as the previous post said. The goal scored by TCR on Saturday off a corner kick was a miscommunication by the Wando defenders, both calling for it, both backing off.

If you want to play T C Roberson, be prepared for the thug style and the artificial turf. Ouch!! Both NC teams gave Wando the level of soccer they were looking for.
Posted By: WormBurner Re: Working your keepers - 05/03/09 03:32 PM
Quote:

Dou you think CESA keepers might be better than CUFC, or Bridge, Lexington, Bulls, etc, or maybe some other club has a better keeper program?

I do not think CESA keepers are better in our age group. Jade and Amelia (from WAndo) both play/played for Bridge. Goalie training provided by Dusty Huddock of the Charleston Battery. Both these goalies train hard with the team and on their own.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Working your keepers - 05/04/09 02:39 AM
Quote:

Chass.... Katelyn is definately one of the best goalkeepers I have seen every year in our self proclaimed rivalry i hope that she misses our game due to family function or something of that nature i have seen her make some incredible stops over the years I wish her all the best in the future.

Thanks, Kevin...although you might as well have wished for tax day to get canceled--that girl would put a soccer match before anything and everything! Anyway, always had to do whatever I could to keep the friendly rivalry interesting!
© SC Soccer