SC Soccer
Posted By: MyTwoCents2008 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/14/09 11:53 AM
So far 21 out of 24 correct in 4A brackets.

TL Hanna
Mauldin

Fort Mill
Dorman

Summerville
West Ashley

Wando
Lexington
Posted By: SCSoccerGuru Referee Question - 05/14/09 01:09 PM
Does anyone know how the state picks which referees do playoff games? From the looks of the first 2 rounds they just take any John Doe off the street that shows up.

To a lot of people these games are just high school kids playing a game, so what. But to the kids on the teams this means a lot to them and they deserve to have referees that are capable of doing a good job. Does the state have any kind of training that these referees go to on an ongoing basis or do they just take the 8 hour class and are turned loose on fields all over the state.

I really don't say any of this to be mean. I just think all of these yound adults deserve better than what I see game after game. State Playoff games are not the place for referees to be doing On The Job Training.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 01:28 PM
Guru, I found this post from you a little while ago. Do you stand by your State Championship prediction? Hanna is looking sharp...

"
Olivia Bair is the second coming of Amy Davis on the D Line for Hanna. Good size, good agility, killer instinct and never gives up. One of the key players in Hanna winning the 2009 and/or 2010 State Championship. Yes that is what I said, mark it down now. With the Freshmen on this years Varsity team and more talent coming from the JV team next year Hanna is going to be UNSTOPPABLE."
Posted By: The Chief Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/14/09 02:22 PM
FMHS returns the favor from earlier this year with a 2-1 win over Dorman in Fort Mill.

At this point in the season reaching deep can show a team who they are. FMHS's win in the 110th minute should show them who they can become because heart coupled with talent can be a winning combination! Just hope the legs last as long as the heart!!!

Good luck to both side (just a little more to FMHS) and I hope we get decent Refs, FMHS had a player get hurt last night and I think the refs could have reigned in the play a little because the bigger/stronger girls were using thier size advantage in a very physical way (not blaming them I would too until a ref stops me, that is sports) and ref wanted no part in controlling it, at least not in the 1st half!
Posted By: The Chief Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 02:43 PM
Quote:

Does anyone know how the state picks which referees do playoff games? From the looks of the first 2 rounds they just take any John Doe off the street that shows up.

To a lot of people these games are just high school kids playing a game, so what. But to the kids on the teams this means a lot to them and they deserve to have referees that are capable of doing a good job. Does the state have any kind of training that these referees go to on an ongoing basis or do they just take the 8 hour class and are turned loose on fields all over the state.

I really don't say any of this to be mean. I just think all of these yound adults deserve better than what I see game after game. State Playoff games are not the place for referees to be doing On The Job Training.

Could not agree more!!
In fact does the leauge look at the refs and how they have called for/against a team in past! I will go on record saying that the center ref at FMHS game last night seemed to have a beef with a FMHS player! He carded her when she got fouled and hit in the face by a hard challenging Spartenburg player (not dirty, just hard) yet he chose to cards her as she rolled/got up from the pounding she took . Maybe she said something, could not hear over the yells from upset parents, but a poke in the eye usually elicits a bad word from most people and a ref should consider the cause, she made no move or gesture toward the opposing player.

Perhaps best non-call of night was when a Spartenburg player got her hand in the way of a hard kick of FMHS girl trying to send ball up field from about mid field, ball deflect back toward FMHS end of field to Spatenburg player and girl almost went to her knees holding her hand. She stood at mid field for nearly a minute holding her sore hand and spent next several mins shaking it, I am sure it hurt!
I would have to view the video replay but to me her arms looked outstreched to in an effort to make a play and the fact that the ball deflected toward a Spartenburg player did not help. (disclaimer: I maybe somewhat partial in how I saw this call. just being honset! )
Posted By: Man City FC Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 02:54 PM

It is the playoff's and the refs usually let them play more physical. This is where the club premier players have an advantage as this how they play during the fall season.

There are good refs and bad refs, but without refs there is no game.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 03:04 PM
Letting them play physical is okay but there has to be some controll applied. When a bigger team is man (or woman, as the case maybe) handeling players a ref need to take some control, as far as I could see this ref gave NO (as in none) warnings at all to the Spartenburg player, again not thier fault they plated hard cause no need to pull it back. Problem is players get hurt, on both sides when play gets rough and then retalitory and the ref not keeping control with warnings is at fault when this happens. I am not asking for cards on every foul but a good ref (I have seen a few in SC so I know it happens) will warn players after a hard foul. Ours last night did not, in fact when you card the less physical team three times and never even warn the other, well that just brings other questions to mind?
Posted By: firsttouch Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 03:11 PM
The center ref in the Fort Mill game should not center nor AR any more Fort Mill games ever. He has an absolute bias against one of the Fort Mill players (and team in general). He told the player "I will throw you out if you speak to me" 2 minutes into the match for asking a question-and yes I am absolutely biased. The ladies from both teams deserve better
Posted By: The Chief Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 03:16 PM
Quote:

The center ref in the Fort Mill game should not center nor AR any more Fort Mill games ever. He has an absolute bias against one of the Fort Mill players (and team in general). He told the player "I will throw you out if you speak to me" 2 minutes into the match for asking a question-and yes I am absolutely biased. The ladies from both teams deserve better

Point made!
Thank you
Posted By: Import Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 04:10 PM
Playoff games are assigned by the region assignor.

For the record, an assessor was at the FMHS game last night. And for the record, some FHMS fans (parents) on both the girls and boys side do not do the team any favors by some of their comments.

If a coach has a problem with the game refs, he should email, write, or call the assignor and voice his complaint(s). The coach also can request that certain official do not do their games and reason why.

Being a HS ref, and a FM soccer parent, to many times parents don't know the rules and second, you see way more in stands than on the field.

I can't argue that there are some bad refs out there but the center last night is one of the better ones in the FM region.

You have to be aware that some players have built a reputation that carries with them. There is a right way and a wrong way to communicate with a ref. That is a lesson few HS players have learned.
Posted By: realmccoy Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 04:11 PM
In addition to playing for FM, my daughter is a certified ref and has worked many club matches with the gentleman in question. There, she says he is "fine and easy to work with." But she does not understand how he seems so different when on the field for an FM match. I do not know the root of the apparent difficulty he has with the FM captain, but it does not appear to be an isolated incident. As I understand it, the captain is the one individual on the field who is allowed to speak to the ref. If the ref tells your captain they cannot speak, then what do you do? I can only assume that he feels he can call an unbiased, objective FM match, but it doesn't appear that way to the rest of us.
Posted By: realmccoy Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 04:28 PM
Import:
We were typing at the same time and I agree with all you say. Players can earn a reputation. Not being a ref myself, how difficult is it for a ref to call an unbiased match if he has had multiple run-ins with one player? I trust my daughter's observations, although she could be faulted for some bias on her own.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 04:48 PM
Quote:

Playoff games are assigned by the region assignor.

For the record, an assessor was at the FMHS game last night. And for the record, some FHMS fans (parents) on both the girls and boys side do not do the team any favors by some of their comments.

If a coach has a problem with the game refs, he should email, write, or call the assignor and voice his complaint(s). The coach also can request that certain official do not do their games and reason why.

Being a HS ref, and a FM soccer parent, to many times parents don't know the rules and second, you see way more in stands than on the field.

I can't argue that there are some bad refs out there but the center last night is one of the better ones in the FM region.

You have to be aware that some players have built a reputation that carries with them. There is a right way and a wrong way to communicate with a ref. That is a lesson few HS players have learned.

Would have to agree with you say many parents seem to yell out of emotion and alot do not know the rules. I have seen that ref before at both club and school games and would say that no particular bad match stands out, I believe my son has worked with him I will have to ask.
I also agree we in the stands often see way more (we are able to take in a wider view, and we also do not see alot of what they see because of distance. I know it is thankless from the stand point that very rerely do you hear fans yelling about how great your doing but that is just the nature of the beast. The best refs are the one who get equal numbers of complaints from both sides during/after the game, as for during the game a thick skin is required.

I do feel that there was a difference from the first to second half in that the calls seemed a little more even. Maybe it was that FMHS girls stepped it up a little or maybe the assignor talked to the ref at half, but if what "Mccoy" says he told a player is true he should excuse himself from his next assignment at a FMHS girls game.
Posted By: Import Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 04:55 PM
Can't disagree with what you stated Doc. My youngest feels that ref has it in for our family, not only FM! One of the twins (who refs HS now) got red carded for getting up and pushing a kid who had just pulled him down and mugged him. And the youngest has rec'd two YC's from him this year. Must be me he is after! ;-)

Felt your captain was abused during Lexington game earlier this year and treated similar. Don't know who center was at that time. Alex Ramsey, when she played for Rock Hill, was treated exactly the same. Ref's seemed to call the game different for her than the other 21 players on field. Your captain getting similar treatment.

And you are correct, the captain is the one on the field who has the right to talk to the ref. The only excuse I can justify is one of pattern.

And by the way, I have heard your daughter is an excellent ref and well-respected! Sign her up for HS! She can carpool with the twin at Clemson!
Posted By: realmccoy Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 05:03 PM
She's a good kid, and thank you! I've probably vented enough on this subject. Ultimately, the girls will have their fate in their own hands, with or without the officiating.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 06:33 PM
Quote:

She's a good kid, and thank you! I've probably vented enough on this subject. Ultimately, the girls will have their fate in their own hands, with or without the officiating.

Win it 11 v 11, or otherwise girls showed the heart last night and with another home game they can play out out for all thier fans to see!
Posted By: mette6 Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 07:26 PM
I can tell you the assignors do take more care in picking who the center referee is during playoffs. In the first round, it may be that the less skilled but qualified referees get their "reward" (because they work hard also)game early in the playoffs vs. later in the playoff rounds.
That being said, highschool referees do not have to go through the amount of training the club referees do, and there are several HS referees who are NOT club referees. This is really where you see the differences in my opinion. Talking more to the players or "warning" them as you stated is more of a US Soccer (club) directive and is not really talked about much in highschool soccer. That is not to say that referees should not be doing it but if you are only a HS referee, you (the referee) may not have been taught how to talk to a player effectively.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Referee Question - 05/14/09 10:27 PM
Quote:

I can tell you the assignors do take more care in picking who the center referee is during playoffs. In the first round, it may be that the less skilled but qualified referees get their "reward" (because they work hard also)game early in the playoffs vs. later in the playoff rounds.
That being said, highschool referees do not have to go through the amount of training the club referees do, and there are several HS referees who are NOT club referees. This is really where you see the differences in my opinion. Talking more to the players or "warning" them as you stated is more of a US Soccer (club) directive and is not really talked about much in highschool soccer. That is not to say that referees should not be doing it but if you are only a HS referee, you (the referee) may not have been taught how to talk to a player effectively.

I have players that are club referees. What kind of training do they do vs HS referees?
Posted By: mette6 Re: Referee Question - 05/15/09 04:51 AM
It actually depends on what grade they are. If they are still HS kids, they likely are grade 9 or 8 or maybe 7 if they have been in it a while. That would mean they should be doing 5 hours of additional training a year. Most of the upper level referees that do both club and HS are grade 6 or 5 and require much more training as well as go to tournaments etc. and get much more training there from folks.
Posted By: MyTwoCents2008 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 01:30 PM
Quote:

TL Hanna
Mauldin

Fort Mill
Dorman

Summerville
West Ashley

Wando
Lexington

Ok here we go:

I have to pick against one of my favorites TL Hanna.
TL Hanna 0
Mauldin 2

Another unpopular pick as now I make enemies with Hurst as well as CJ.
Fort Mill 1
Dorman 2

Summerville 0
West Ashley 2

In a rematch of one of the most controversial title games, Lexington will be the team needing 12 this time to win...
Wando 3
Lexington 0
Posted By: MyTwoCents2008 Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 01:30 PM
Good luck to all teams tonight!
Posted By: CJ Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 02:08 PM
No enemies here. You went with the smart pick.

Quote:

Quote:

TL Hanna
Mauldin

Fort Mill
Dorman

Summerville
West Ashley

Wando
Lexington

Ok here we go:

I have to pick against one of my favorites TL Hanna.
TL Hanna 0
Mauldin 2

Another unpopular pick as now I make enemies with Hurst as well as CJ.
Fort Mill 1
Dorman 2

Summerville 0
West Ashley 2

In a rematch of one of the most controversial title games, Lexington will be the team needing 12 this time to win...
Wando 3
Lexington 0

Posted By: The Chief Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 02:32 PM
Should be good weekend for Dorman vs Fort Mill . Girls tonight and boys tomorrow!
Girls have maybe a little tired after the heart stopper the other night, but hopefully they will get the same sudden death sharpness that the boys got and come out with same fire! Dormans 0-2 loss to Spartanburg ten days ago coupled with a early season victory of them should help FMHS mentally as well. After coach's half time speach in last game girls seem to be very "focused".
Good luck to all!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 06:57 PM
since i have been absent from the board i think i need to jump in.ive been gone so long i didnt know DF lost.
i was at last years Ft Mill-Dorman game and i will be at this one. should be another good one but this year it is at the home of springs industries.
i was at the game the other night when the ref in question was on top of his game. i lean a little towards Ft mill for certain reasons but know families from the visitors wed night and tonight.the center ref from that game was one sided a good portion of the game and he does seem to single out certain kids.i think there are a few that do and it is done because they can get away with it.seen 2 kids this year from seperate teams get cards 1 min into the game and it was just to make a statement by the ref. there are some good refs out there but it is sad when this is what you have at a playoff game. i wouldnt be surprised if he is in the middle tonight.
Posted By: The Chief Re: 4A 3rd Round Predictions - 05/15/09 07:45 PM
If he is in the middle, and gives a repeat performance the native's will likely get very ugly! I think he would likely be Boo'ed for a right call made against FMHS even as a side line judge based on his ignoring of plays on Wed, and if he did tell the Capt of the team "talk to me and I'll throw you out" well crowd not likely to sit well with that either.
© SC Soccer