Southside Christian 1
West Ashley 2
Summerville 1
Mauldin 2
Hanna 0
Quote:

S.Aiken 3 Hilton Head 2 Final

BOOYAH! BOOYAH! BOOYAH! BOOYAH!
The Underdog climb up the Upset Ladder continues...

Fort Mill 1
Dorman 0

A direct kick by Taylor Parker at 17:00 from 32 yards. Tremendous play from a scrappy defense.

Dorman is extremely good technically, well-coached, and young. They'll be back next year.
Quote:

The Underdog climb up the Upset Ladder continues...

Fort Mill 1
Dorman 0

A direct kick by Taylor Parker at 17:00 from 32 yards. Tremendous play from a scrappy defense.

Dorman is extremely good technically, well-coached, and young. They'll be back next year.

DOUBLE BOOYAH!!!!
Fort Mill Rocks!
Woodruff 3
Emerald 0
way to go dale jr and south aiken!!!
@ CHS

Eastside 3

Chapin 1
Any score for Wando-Lexington?
I hear: Wando 1 Lexington 0
Wando 1, Lex Z-E-R-O

Best Sportsmanship award goes to Berkeley, WORST goes to Lexington! Lexington players did not shake hands with the Wando coach as they were introduced before the game. Lex coach stayed over at his bench and the Wando girls ran over to him and each shook his hand.

2 cents, Lex had 12 players on the field the entire second half of the game...the center ref (12th)....so quit yer whining and move on!
Quote:

Riverside 2
Greenville 1

I'm holding my comments for today because my anger would not allow me to write a rational response to the ref's critical mistake four minutes from the final whistle. Unbelievable.
WWC2011:
In my humble opinion the one mistake was taking your back and moving her into the middle allowing Hagler an advantage that she took to the back of the net with less than 4 min left in the game. Hagler scored less than 2 min after the change.
Quote:

Christ Church 2
Southside Christian 1

Nice job Coach Chris!
Very impressive win by South Aiken.

To travel all that distance, and beat a very, very good Hilton Head Island team, is a great accomplishment.

Congrats Junior.
Thanks Rollie. We finally got past the "hump". Now we have one very BIG "hump" in Woodruff to worry about. But I'm very proud of the girls.
And as the dad (not the coach as the Gvl News royally screwed up), it is great to have her back as her back injury could have been much worse. We were very fortunate to get the best news possible three weeks ago. Thank you God!
sorry wrong post
Bishop England 4
Barnwell 0

The game was closer than the score shows. Barwell played their hearts out tonight and should be proud. BE is obviously very talented and Barnwell gave them a great game.
Can we get a play-by-play on S. Aiken/Hilton Head? Congrats S. Aiken!
Eyes...barely...functioning...

Hilton Hilton Head 1-0
#10 (AWESOME PLAYER) blows through middle of defense and wins 1 v 1 with keeper

South Aiken 1-1
25yd crack from midfield

HALFTIME

Hilton Head 2-1
Keeper, center back both go for bouncing ball, #10 (I think) capitalizes on the confusion.

South Aiken 2-2
Handball in box, PK

South Aiken 3-2
35 yds or so out, bomb that slips through

Time to wash off the Bug Repellent and hit the bead. Girls played great tonight.
http://www.islandpacket.com/hhh/story/846865.html
Wando - 1
Lexington - 0
Quote:

Time to wash off the Bug Repellent and hit the bead. Girls played great tonight.

Coach was better than average too ....
Quote:

http://www.islandpacket.com/hhh/story/846865.html

"And the third goal, that won't happen again for thirty years." It won't have to. I love the quiet confidence and execution of the Lady Thoroughbreds and their DJ.
Quote:

Mauldin 2
Hanna 0

The seats were reasonably full and the respective Hanna and Mauldin fans were relatively intermingled both sitting in the same stands. The Hanna High school students sat immediately behind the Mauldin High School students. The boys soccer team is getting a bad rap each side cheered and clapped the game and booed the ref as is normal in this sport and I was not aware of any crowd problems, which would detract from a hotly contested game.

I thought I would mention this first since my last overview of Wednesdays Ridge View game elicited many subjective comments about Mauldin Boys Soccer team behavior and nothing about the game.

The first half was fast paced, hard but fair neither side could gain a real advantage. Both sides came close to scoring, and a terrific shot from Hanna’s Morgan Cutts hit the cross bar, however, the soccer was kick and rush. Mauldin has a terrific passing game but it was not in evidence. As the game progressed in the second half Mauldin got the edge on the game, an excellent pass from Gracie Boswell found Sarah Shaidle unmarked well inside the penalty area and SC player of the year Sarah doesn’t miss those type of chances. Almost on full time, another Boswell pass to Taylor Carter in a goalmouth scramble saw the subsequent shot bounce up and down in the goal. From our position, it was not clear if the ball crossed the line but the Assistant Referee signaled a goal and the referee pointed to the center circle. It is worth mentioning that at the end of this game I saw the players from opposing teams hugging each other.

I thought the refereeing was poor, this from a referee who normally calls a good game. He started early by giving a yellow card for a challenge, which looked quite fair, then followed some erratic decisions. Why for instance call a foul after a girl protects her chest and the ball hits her hand. From the free kick and in the penalty area he ignored a raised hand, which deflected the flight of the ball. Also throughout this season, there has been a trend to ignore foul throws. Last nights game was no exception.

Mauldin:
Goals: Shaidle; Carter
Assists: Boswell 2.
Quote:

Quote:

Coach was better than average too ....

Way to go, Coach Young and SA--No Fear!!
Did anyone know there is an invention that allows your ipod to be blasted from a set of small speakers? For nearly 7 hours I learned all about the Jonas Brothers, T-Pain, believing in "a thing called love", and Carrie Underwood. I am now sitting in a quiet room for the next 24 hours in order to recuperate. BUT...well worth it
Quote:

Wando 1, Lex Z-E-R-O

Best Sportsmanship award goes to Berkeley, WORST goes to Lexington! Lexington players did not shake hands with the Wando coach as they were introduced before the game. Lex coach stayed over at his bench and the Wando girls ran over to him and each shook his hand.

2 cents, Lex had 12 players on the field the entire second half of the game...the center ref (12th)....so quit yer whining and move on!

Some teams do not know to shake the other coaches hand before the game. It is actually not as common as you may think. It is quite a stretch to call it "bad sportsmanship."
Quote:

Did anyone know there is an invention that allows your ipod to be blasted from a set of small speakers? For nearly 7 hours I learned all about the Jonas Brothers, T-Pain, believing in "a thing called love", and Carrie Underwood. I am now sitting in a quiet room for the next 24 hours in order to recuperate. BUT...well worth it

Hmmm, you must be older than I think! I will scan for gray hair next time I see you!
Ooh...you need a sensory deprivation tank for a while after that lineup. I've learned the hard way that the warmup music that gets ME going before a game just results in "Coooaach! Change the music! What IS this?!?"

Keeper and I are going for Disturbed (I always thought "Indestructible" pretty much said it all); most of them are going for Disney Stars On Crack...
Quote:

Can we get a play-by-play on S. Aiken/Hilton Head? Congrats S. Aiken!

Coach Young gave you the basics but I can add a bit. First of all it was an amazing match and both teams played at 100% The speed of this game was as high as I have seen in any top flight club ball. All of the girls waxed and waned as they got tired but all stepped it up to keep it 100%. It was too bad somebody had to lose (but I am glad SAHS won ). For the match some interesting stats. Fouls were even, corners to South Aiken, SOG even although SAHS took more shots, no offsides by either team. Both SAHS keepers were scored on with strong HHHS attacks. SAHS pressed with numerous attacks. HHHS played very aggressively and very physical. SAHS played very fast and with good team play. Like I said, an amazing match, very high quality soccer.
First, Got to give props! Congrats to Coach Young and the Lady Thoroughbreds!
Swansea 0
MB 4
Calls were theirs. Game starts off with Pk in the first 3 minutes on a terrible call in the box. My sweeper made a clean play for the ball (and came away with the ball) then was called with a foul. A couple of offsides calls against us that the official did not see the sweeper standing next to the keeper. There was a deliberate hand ball in the box that their girl slapped down when their keeper was down-no call. However, they are a good team. But we kept the game moving with lots of ebb and flow, but our team's effort was thwarted by offials' calls throughout the game. MB scoerd in the last ten when I let all my seniors finish the game.
Just hate that our hard work was not fairly treated in the end(that's soccer these days). I consider MB as our equal. Congrats to them and moving on to the semi's. If we play ten games, we win 5 they win 5. I am a firm believer that this will continue to refine our team and make us better in the future. I love this game and love our team. Good season ladies!!!!!!!
Quote:

Some teams do not know to shake the other coaches hand before the game. It is actually not as common as you may think. It is quite a stretch to call it "bad sportsmanship."

Spare the BS. Lexington is not a team that does not know to shake hands with the opposing coach before the game. 4 years of HS games @ 20+ games a year and NEVER was there a time players did not shake the coach's hands on both teams. It is quite a stretch to say "it is actually not as common as you may think". Someone did those a girls a disservice to promote that kind of behavior.

Not a factor in the game anyway and I wouldn't have mentioned it if 2cents didn't feel the need to put the dig in on the predictions. It's time to let the grudge go.
Wando Lexington Observations:

Wando opened the game with confidence and a controlled passing game. Wando had the game well in hand for much of the first half and had it not been for some less than clinical finishing could have very well been up 3 nil by halftime. Wando scored on a nice cross and finish around the 12 minute mark if I can remember correctly. With about 15 minutes to play in the first Coach Champ elected to make wholesale changes and the Lady Warriors seemed to lose the ability to hold on to the ball.

The second half belonged to Lexington for the most part. The Wando girls looked flat and at times just tired. The Lexington girls created several chances in the second half, if not for some fearless saves from the Wando keeper(Amelia) this game could have gone the other way.

This was a hard fought game and an inspired second half effort by the Lexington girls. The fans and players and coaches kept things sportsmanlike throughout. I don't know if the center referee was informed to expect something else but, I have never seen such a card happy ref in my life. I lost track but I think he issued 5 or 6 yellows the majority to the Wando team and all in the second half. The first two were understandable as a Wando forward went in out of countrol on the Lexington keeper and knocked her down and the Lexington left back made a nasty and dangerous tackle from behind a bit later. Other than that the center ref would have done well to let the girls play.

Good luck to Wando at the Lower State Finals on Monday and congratulations to Lexington on a great run in the playoffs.
lady vd,

glad that sa won but please don't go overboard comparing hs soccer w/high level club.

"The speed of this game was as high as I have seen in any top flight club ball."

cause it just ain't so.
Quote:

lady vd,

glad that sa won but please don't go overboard comparing hs soccer w/high level club.

"The speed of this game was as high as I have seen in any top flight club ball."

cause it just ain't so.

I guess I have to respectfully disagree and will caveat with "top flight women's U18/U19 club ball". I have watched and even help coach a bit matches against teams like Atlanta TopHat, Atlanta Fire, GSA, Vestavia Attack, Redstar, NJ Dynamo, NASA, JB Marine Reinhart, etc, all top 100 teams. We won some and lost some. Either SAHS or HHHS could have stood head to head with any of these and competed
Quote:

Quote:

Wando 1, Lex Z-E-R-O

Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right.
LadyVolDad:
I respectfully disagree with you. I love going to HS games and watching the girls play for there schools,but to say SAHS or HHHS could stand toe to toe with top club teams just isn't so. The top club teams have all 11 starters playing major D-1 soccer. Go to Disney and watch the U-18 top flight final and you might change your mind.
*sigh* Here we go again...
Quote:

*sigh* Here we go again...

Yup...... I was wondering myself just how to say what you have just summed up so well......

tk
Coach Chass:
HS soccer has it's place and Club soccer has it's place, lets just stop trying to compare the two, the reason we have seen the level of HS soccer improve dramaticaly is directly tied to club soccer. I think we can all agree with that.
My interpretation is LadyVolDad was paying a well deserved compliment to the S Aiken and Hilton Head teams.
As soccer evolves and club play influences the quality of HS play, the gap between club & high school will become smaller.
The highest club games seen varies by team. Not everyone goes to Disney and not all top players aspire to go to Disney.
It's great there are venues for players of all levels.
SF...and yet we insist on not only drawing those comparisons, but pushing them to the point that a supporter of HS teams can't make a passing complimentary comment on two good teams without someone jumping in to say they cannot, possibly, in any way shape or form, compare. That compliment could have been let go for what it was without the challenge.

Also, HS soccer and club soccer both have their place, but the status of HS soccer is dependent on club soccer...club participation does have a significant effect on the level of players available to high school teams, true...but first of all, there's no reason to rub that in during HS season, and second, while some club players may be able to bring more to the table than one-season players, there are a lot of other factors that can contribute to the success and level of play of any given team.

So...while I do understand where you're coming from, it's an unnecessary argument, as well as being an oversimplified generalization. I think there would be a lot more success in both venues if HS and club players and coaches wouldn't get somehow pitted against one another in a "who's better" frame of mind--if they could complement each other smoothly without always competing with each other for the laurels.
(And if that's "Buddhist" of me to think that way, well, I've been called a lot worse.)
"Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right."

Did anyone watch the soccer game? This is old news rehashed over and over and over. I saw one really bad tackle last night and one poor challenge one by each team. This does not constitute poor sportmanship just poor decision making. I thought Coach Fryland was well reserved last night and I did not once see him or Coach Champ make a show with the refs but I was watching the games not the coaches. For you parents that continually attack Coach Fryland for his antics 2 years ago following a heart breaking loss what are you teaching your kids(young adults).

By the way my daughter was the 12th player on the field during the substitution mix up. The fourth official made a terrible mistake in sending her on!!! The whole incident and the parents and coaches reaction took a bit away from her shining moment as one of the team Captains for Wando.

She got over it and does not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland or any of the players on that team. If the Parents on both sides would try to live in the present and not the past maybe we could TALK ABOUT SOCCER!!!!!!!
Quote:

"Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right."

Did anyone watch the soccer game? This is old news rehashed over and over and over. I saw one really bad tackle last night and one poor challenge one by each team. This does not constitute poor sportmanship just poor decision making. I thought Coach Fryland was well reserved last night and I did not once see him or Coach Champ make a show with the refs but I was watching the games not the coaches. For you parents that continually attack Coach Fryland for his antics 2 years ago following a heart breaking loss what are you teaching your kids(young adults).

By the way my daughter was the 12th player on the field during the substitution mix up. The fourth official made a terrible mistake in sending her on!!! The whole incident and the parents and coaches reaction took a bit away from her shining moment as one of the team Captains for Wando.

She got over it and does not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland or any of the players on that team. If the Parents on both sides would try to live in the present and not the past maybe we could TALK ABOUT SOCCER!!!!!!!

My post was about pre-game sportsmanship of an event that happened last night and Coach Fryland's antics LAST NIGHT. The Wando girls obviously did not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland for events that happened before most of them were even on the team. They ran over to him even though it was awkward and he never made an attempt to meet the ladies at center field.
It was a much cleaner game than I expected after Lex made a point to disrespect the Wando coach.
Wando controlled the game the first half, Lex was the better team the second half. I agree it could've gone either way.
At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Wando and West Ashley battle it out for Lower State on Monday...do we have an official game time set? I have a "mandatory" after-school function Monday evening in MC, but with an extended "bathroom break" and possibly bending a few traffic laws, I hope to at least catch the second half.
Quote:

My post was about pre-game sportsmanship of an event that happened last night and Coach Fryland's antics LAST NIGHT. The Wando girls obviously did not hold any ill will to Coach Fryland for events that happened before most of them were even on the team. They ran over to him even though it was awkward and he never made an attempt to meet the ladies at center field.

I like the custom of shaking the opposing coach's hand during introductions, but it is not typically done in the Midlands. While we did not expect it when we played at Wando on Wednesday, we respected it and tried to participate. When our starters were introduced, Coach Champ stepped out and offered her hand to our players and they took it respectfully. When Wando's players were introduced, we did the same thing. But in Lexington's defense, it is not commonly done here in Region 5-AAAA or other mid-state locations. In fact, at most stadiums we play at, the coaches and teams are on opposite sides of the pitch. Wando, White Knoll, and Aiken were the only venues we visited that had both teams on the same side.
Quote:

Bishop England 4
Barnwell 0

The game was closer than the score shows. Barwell played their hearts out tonight and should be proud. BE is obviously very talented and Barnwell gave them a great game.

I would just like to congratulate my girls on a great season and all the effort they gave me this year. We had our best season in school history at 15-7. The Seniors have set the bar high for everyone that comes through Barnwell after this. We gave it all we could last night but it is just hard for a rural area to compete against a more "well off" area. We are closing the gap though...and hopefully will get over the Bishop England hump one day.
Congrats Lady Warhorses on a wonderful season and I am proud of each and every one of you!! You taught me more than you will ever know!!
Not excusing or condemning anything or anyone...but Coach P is right; different teams sometimes have different habits and protocol. Since the visiting team is always introduced first, they don't have the chance to observe the "local" customs in front of the home crowd, so sometimes they don't realize what the expectation is until it's too late.

That said, though...once it becomes obvious that the home players are running over to shake a coach's hand, it would be considerate and respectful to come meet them halfway.
At Wando, we did not have to run all the way across the field since both Wando's and Irmo's benches were on the same side of the field. Irmo's custom is for the entire team to line up on the touch line, and as a starter is introduced, she runs behind her teammates away from halfway and then back in front of the line to touch hands with each teammate in the line. As our starters did that on Wednesday, Coach Champ was waiting at the end of our line. She was right there so our players did not have to run anywhere to meet her. But Lexington may not have the same custom as Irmo and their players may run to center field from where they are standing. It's possible they did not realize Coach Champ was waiting to shake their hands.
so is it sporting or trying to get into the players/coaches heads with the pre-game hand shake?

just do it after the game not before.
Quote:

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing Wando and West Ashley battle it out for Lower State on Monday...do we have an official game time set? I have a "mandatory" after-school function Monday evening in MC, but with an extended "bathroom break" and possibly bending a few traffic laws, I hope to at least catch the second half.

I haven't seen a game time yet, but the local games have started a little earlier than 7:00. Bring your players with you!
When White Knoll played at West Ashley Monday night, the WA coach told us before how they would do introductions and we told the girls. It went very smoothly. Coach P is correct in that only a few of the region 5 teams did pre-game introductions with hand shakes etc. I know most of the girls on Lexington's team and don't believe any them would be intentially disrespectful to the Wando coach or team. I know that if any of those young ladies read some of the comments written on here about them that they would be very upset.
That was a great game on Monday night, by the way...WK played hard the whole match and was right there to finish on an opportunity to even the match in the final moments of regulation to force OT. A good match on both sides.
I'll do my best...keep the grill hot for the best HS concession-stand burgers in town!
i agree letme: just do it after.
sadly, this discussion was just an attempt to attack a quality coach. fryland should be commended for the job he did this season with that team.

worm, you may not want your daughter playing for him, but i would bet that you are in the minority.
I think it's sporting to have pre-game introductions and handshakes but I find it hard to believe that Lexington girls were intentionally trying to snub the Wando coach. I know at Dreher, our girls don't even get introduced so I'm guessing our girls wouldn't know what was expected either.
Quote:

That was a great game on Monday night, by the way...WK played hard the whole match and was right there to finish on an opportunity to even the match in the final moments of regulation to force OT. A good match on both sides.

Thank you. Our girls worked extremely hard this season. BTW, those burgers smelled great. I think they were a distraction to our girls
I love it Retired Old and Happy. That quote jumped out at me too.
As per the game between SAHS and HH last night, the girls on both sides played an intense 80 minutes of soccer. It was by far the best I have seen the South Aiken girls play in the three years I have been back with the program. Dale has done a fantastic job with the girls in bringing them from the doldrums to being highly competitive. What I love most about the girls is that they are great kids, as well as fantastic soccer players.
Dale, "It's all about the inches."
Quote:

(And if that's "Buddhist" of me to think that way, well, I've been called a lot worse.)

I'm sure I have called you something or another, a time or two.
Hard to call me the peace-and-love type...you were the one with the ponytail.
Dad, there are several "Club is the Mecca" posters that get in a HUGE tiff if you compare HS soccer to them. Bet ya a cup of coffee this post will bring on some more defensive posting from those two...unless they are classy enough to debate it in the club forum. I got your point - great match, Hilton Head is a group of studs, and people in the stands got their money's worth.
Boys quarterfinal results are in.

We are very proud up here in York County. Three of the four teams in the 4A upperstate finals are from Region 3. At least one team will make the state final.
Coach Young...actually, I think everyone's had their say for the moment...sometimes we all post things based on spur-of-the-moment response, and sometimes we find we're more on the same page than we realize.

And I have no doubt the compliment was well-earned.
HS, club, whatever it is I'm excited about the week

But...what I really want to know is if that avatar of Hurst's is actually of him playing??? Looks like it's from around 1942 so that should be about right
What a bore to get on the "Quarterfinals Scores/Results" post and have to read that baloney about high school vs. club, etc. etc.

Get a life. If your child plays club, we all think that is unbelievable. Build a stature and put it in your house.

If your kid plays high school, and this post is about high school, you have my respect. I am only one, but I LOVE high school soccer. I have a starting senior, four years, captain, who lives in a trailer and takes care of five siblings and can't afford lunch much less club ball. I want to read about her here and not some "Disney" chick who should be admired and praised on another forum.

The scores and results, please.

PS: My daughter plays club and hs and loves both. She isn't getting into heaven because of either.
Quote:

Hard to call me the peace-and-love type...you were the one with the ponytail.

The ponytail exists no more.
"I want to read about her here and not some 'Disney' chick who should be admired and praised on another forum."

"Some 'Disney' chick" is someone's daughter, also, right? Not sure the tone of this makes a good case that club people are being inappropriate. These are children playing sport...regardless of club or HS, we all should keep that in mind when we refer to those children.
omg, a number of you on here are the "kings" of highjacking threads and going silly! now you're whinning like babies about it happeing to you. hey, you didn't have to post a counter post. scsoccer needs to start another forum called "gone silly" for you posters to practice hoping for an invite to host SNL and to bump up your post count. we've suffered long enough. lol
Quote:

But...what I really want to know is if that avatar of Hurst's is actually of him playing??? Looks like it's from around 1942 so that should be about right

It looks like he's wearing Richard Simmons' shorts
That can't be Hurst...Look at all that hair
Quote:

That can't be Hurst...Look at all that hair

I know it's a far stretch from the man he is now...but it just might be
Real men don't wear shin guards!

(That ought to date the photo!)
I don’t think you can or should compare high school to club, they are to completely different entities. High school soccer validates the hard work and sacrifices the club player makes in the fall. I know a lot of my daughters friends wondered why she traveled all over the southeast for so many years. Hopefully when they come to her high school games, they see the hard work paying off. Wearing your school colors and playing in front of your peers is a great experience that only a lucky few get to enjoy.
Well said..soccer dad.Playing High school and club means one should compliment the other..I think most H.S. coaches would like to see their players playing club ball in the fall and Club coaches get a chance to see their players play with a different group of kids..A win-win for everyone.
Quote:

I don’t think you can or should compare high school to club, they are to completely different entities. High school soccer validates the hard work and sacrifices the club player makes in the fall. I know a lot of my daughters friends wondered why she traveled all over the southeast for so many years. Hopefully when they come to her high school games, they see the hard work paying off. Wearing your school colors and playing in front of your peers is a great experience that only a lucky few get to enjoy.

The bad thing about HS soccer is the bad habits that are picked up during a HS season. HS seems to be more about winning...club seems to more about development. There are a few exceptions to the rule though.
Mind if I transplant that statement over to the club forum next time people there start talking about the success of a club based entirely on number of wins?
yea i agree coach chass. and notsofast, most high school coaches also coach at the club level. i cant imagine that during one season they work on developing just so in the spring they can focus on winning.
The two most inaccurate statements (IMHO) that continue to be uttered on the girls message boards:

1. The thing I hate most about high school soccer is the bad habits that the players develop.
2. Team X really has a great chance of going all the way this year because their roster is loaded with seniors.
Quote:

The two most inaccurate statements (IMHO) that continue to be uttered on the girls message boards:

1. The thing I hate most about high school soccer is the bad habits that the players develop.

Bingo
so Hurst you dont think experience matters in high school matters
sorry my typing isnt the best
I think real good freshmen are better than average seniors.

I think focused juniors are often better for the roster than seniors who are thinking about prom, spring break, class trip, graduation, college, missing my friends (OMG!) come mid-April.

Experience? Most high-level club girls who comprise the competitive high school rosters have been playing in tournament championships and state cup finals and semi-finals since they were nine years old.

In my opinion, that's enough experience.
Playing in "real men" shorts as my kids call them in your avatar, that's "experience" I tell ya....
yea now i see where you are coming from...or is it," I see said the blind man"
transplant,
You are certainly not blind and this is only my opinion.

ROH,
My kids had me trash the shorts but I may still have the jersey. I'd never wear it in public....not very flattering.
Quote:

Experience? Most high-level club girls who comprise the competitive high school rosters

Hurst:
Enough about club soccer on the Girls HS thread, move it over to the club thread and leave us alone.
sweet,

I really wish your daughter would have played high school soccer locally so that you could participate in these conversations with a proper perspective.

I hate to see these folks on the boards referring to you as a "club snob".
Hurst: You missed my point, the two are really the same.
No, I got you sweet. I hear you.

I got your back.
Nobody faint...

But I'll back Sweet's intentions as well.
Hurst, still got my shorts. Still wear them around the pool. Still look pretty good in them, if I do say so myself.

They keep teenagers away I tell ya. Better than an empty frig.
I unearthed a whole box of those shorts going through a storage room in the gym...anytime you guys want to relive the glory days, just let me know.
Quote:

WWC2011:
In my humble opinion the one mistake was taking your back and moving her into the middle allowing Hagler an advantage that she took to the back of the net with less than 4 min left in the game. Hagler scored less than 2 min after the change.

Sweet F: Coaches have different philosophies. I rather lose 0-2 knowing that we give it our best shot when we are 0-1 behind and switch to a more offensive formation before we run out of time. Moving our center back into midfield and seeing her scoring the equalizer less than one minute later, does not look like a mistake to me.

I am not dwelling on the game winning goal. Just look at rule 9-3. Nobody is perfect and it's behind us now. May the best team win Upper State tonight and bring the Cup back to the Upstate on Friday!
© SC Soccer