SC Soccer
Posted By: GETOVERIT SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:04 PM
Do the girls play HS soccer in SC due to school pride, and the whole HS experience or due they play to get touches during the clubs off season. In Texas the HS soccer scene is very competitive but nowhere near the level of the elite soccer clubs. In HS the girls seem to really enjoy playing while club is a very serious business with girls playing every game knowing that they could lose a starting position any second of any game and never regain a starting position ever. Soccer is very serious at every level of HS and Club in Texas.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:13 PM
South Carolina is about the size of Dallas.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:16 PM
Did I read a post correctly that a soccer coach left the team to coach track? if that is true that's a little shocking any soccer coach i have ever met lives for the game and would never consider anything but soccer. Not to mention it sounded like he had a good team.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:17 PM
Oh, the size card, Nice.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:19 PM
Size = Commitment??
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 05:53 PM
Getoverit,

You sound like a smart guy, you don't need a lesson on economics or demographics. You now live in the Greenville market. You're the big fish in the small pond. I'm sure your daughter will have great high school and club soccer experiences. I wish you luck and welcome to the Palmetto State.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 06:46 PM
In my experience, it's the high school teams that the girls are more mentally and emotionally committed to...they play club to get better, but they play HS soccer to represent their schools and to win as a team. One of the challenges of building a winning club team is to get the girls to put aside their separate HS loyalties and play together as a club team with anywhere near the passion and team spirit as they have with their HS teams.
Posted By: Jonathan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/24/10 10:15 PM
are you "indirectly" asking if we recognize that sc youth soccer isn't as strong as tx youth soccer?
Posted By: Mavs Soccer Dad Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/25/10 02:30 PM
Getoverit,
What high school does your daughter attend?
Posted By: Chapindad Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/25/10 06:57 PM
It is both to answer your question directly. But as Hurst66 says, the population density of Texas and SC is much different. In the 3A and below they are lucky to field 7-8 quality players and then fill in and 4a is usually lucky enough to field a 1st string with quality players and then use fill-ins for subs. This is not bad or good. A very good team will get that boost of 3-4 extra quality players, which boosts them to the finals usually. But overall the play is a lot of fun to watch and has a lot more passion than a club game. Is SC better than Texas? Maybe not, but I live in South Carolina and don't care.
Posted By: Coach P Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/25/10 08:15 PM
Quote:

Did I read a post correctly that a soccer coach left the team to coach track? if that is true that's a little shocking any soccer coach i have ever met lives for the game and would never consider anything but soccer. Not to mention it sounded like he had a good team.

No I don't think you read it correctly. He stopped coaching soccer because of a new baby in the family. His post said he only agreed to "sponsor", not coach, the track team if he could bring his son along and just count the runners going by.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 12:46 AM
Mavssoccerdad,
My daughter attends school in texas till the Fall. She plays for the Dallas Texans.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 12:53 AM
Chapindad,
I don't care either, I'll be looking for a team, not club that will provide training and coaching that will benefit my daughter.
Posted By: Mavs Soccer Dad Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 01:25 AM
Getoverit,
Mauldin can always use another Premier level player.
Posted By: ghs26 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 02:21 AM
Or Shannon Forest if you wanna go to private school. Love to have a premier level player there.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 12:29 PM
Quote:

Rookies, rookies. The guy decided that being an All World Dad was more fun (which it is) than being an All State Soccer Coach. If you knew this guy, which many of us do, you would understand.

I wouldn't want to be running track in that region, but I sure would like to have a Dad like that.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 12:31 PM
In SC High School soccer, many girls play with their friends who are friends who happen to play soccer. In club, they play with soccer players who often have become their friends due to their common commitment to soccer. We have had several kids play soccer at our school because they liked the "team" and the kids on it and thought they would enjoy hanging out with them. Rarely do you see that happen in club.

There are distinct advantages to each, and the last time I checked, getting into Heaven didn't require either one.

Let them have fun, whatever they do that is clean. My thought.
Posted By: Meredith Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 04:56 PM
ditto
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 06:43 PM
Retired,
Albeit im new to the area, but most soccer forums are for people that are a little more knowledgeable than the casual soccer spectator. HS and club sports have evolved into more than friends playing on a team cause it seemed like fun. In soccer it's AYSO or the Y if your looking for fun and friends. People that chat on soccer forums usally have a solid understanding of the game and are passionate players or spectators.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 07:18 PM
And as far as HS vs Club soccer I wont touch that with a ten foot poll. Both HS and Club enjoy a solid place in the soccer community.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 08:43 PM
GETOVERIT...albeit you're new to the area, but it almost sounded like you just implied that a very dedicated, knowledgeable, and, to put in terms you will identify with, competitively successful soccer coach somehow didn't meet your qualifications to comment on a soccer forum. ROH might emphasize certain aspects of the game just to balance out others who expound on nothing but the technical, but people with a solid understanding of the game and the passion involved in excellence will also tell you that while hard work and dedication are essential, enjoyment is as well...players show their absolute best when they love what they do.
Posted By: Loves to Play Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 10:12 PM
I beg to differ...my daughter plays and has played for 10 years and she plays high school and club soccer at the Premier level and has FUN while doing it. She doesn't have to play AYSO or Y ball to have fun and play with her friends and be competitive while doing it. I understand your daughter plays for the Dallas Texans,but maybe you are living vicariously thru her? I feel sure she has "fun" playing with her "friends" on that team. I hope she doesn't bring your attitude to soccer here-South Carolina is a friendly but competitive state and we do love our soccer.
I feel the majority of the folks on this forum have a pretty good knowledge of the game,so please don't presume we are "casual soccer spectator's"
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 11:05 PM
Quote:

GETOVERIT... but people with a solid understanding of the game and the passion involved in excellence will also tell you that while hard work and dedication are essential, enjoyment is as well...players show their absolute best when they love what they do.

Totally agree, glad you left the word fun out.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 11:13 PM
Loves to Play
Living vicariously thru my daughter, I don't think so. Not knowing who you are im still willing to bet you attended more of your daughters matches last season than I have attendded of my daughters matches in the last 3 years. BTW, if you have spoken to your daughter coach in the last eighteen months, you have had one more conversation than me.
Posted By: Loves to Play Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/26/10 11:23 PM
That's too bad. I do hate that you are missing out on some of the best moments with your daughter. I don't know the reasons behind why you haven't been able to attend her games,but as good as her team is I'm sure you have missed some great soccer. It may be out of your control as to why you've missed,but I guess you are right... I haven't missed but a few of my daughter's games and hate that I missed the few I did. These moments will pass too quickly and will be only memories before long.As for talking with her coach? Does her coach just not feel like he has to talk to the parents or don't you care to converse with him? Either way it seems sad to me..
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 12:06 AM
Loves to Play
I will admit sometimes my priorities are misguided. As far as the coach he prefers to discuss any soccer related issues at the end of the the season. Guess what, buy the end of the season any issues you had are now just a distant memory. And for the one or two parents that do talk to coach during the season, somehow their child ends up running at practice and being called out in front of other teammates.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 01:28 AM
Quote:

Retired,
Albeit im new to the area, but most soccer forums are for people that are a little more knowledgeable than the casual soccer spectator. HS and club sports have evolved into more than friends playing on a team cause it seemed like fun. In soccer it's AYSO or the Y if your looking for fun and friends. People that chat on soccer forums usally have a solid understanding of the game and are passionate players or spectators.

My qualifications to make statements on this forum are minimal. Helped start soccer in Rock Hill in the early 1970's. I am the person who designed Cherry Park in Rock Hill which was the predecessor to Manchester Meadows. Coached the first Select team (undefeated, unscored upon) in SC in the mid 70's. Son played on it and went undefeated for three years. Coached and taught 18 of the 22 starting players in the State AAAA Championship match between the Northwestern and Rock Hill Boys' teams in the late 80's many of them from the Select team. Moved to Iowa and started a soccer program in a community of 1,000 people which has grown to include over 500 soccer players as of today. Retired and moved back to SC to be near grandchildren and began coaching at a school that won 1 game three years ago. Won 10 first year, 14 last year, watch this year.

About your being from Texas. My wife was from Texas. A million men to choose from, she chose me and a big reason was that I am from SC. I think my record stands for itself - big hat, big cattle as they say where you come from.

And, your theory about "friends" is just wrong. My teams, which include a 2nd place girls' volleyball AAAA finisher, 4 upper state/state championship basketball AAAA finishers, three undefeated tennis teams - all have included groups of kids that are great friends. A group of kids that is close will beat a group of hugely talented, separated kids quite often.

I carried my daughter off the field last year with a torn ACL, coached the team she couldn't play on any longer, and am coaching it this year. I am NOT a detached Dad, but a distinctly involved one. And we have fun.
Posted By: Jonathan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 02:26 AM
get the popcorn...
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 02:29 AM
Go Rollie, go!
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 03:26 AM
From my experience as a former SC Premier League and HS player (and also, a former California resident), we play first and foremost because we have FUN and LOVE the game of soccer. If you're good enough, you play Premier League/Select/whatever's available because a high level of competition is hard work and, in the end, gratifying and fun. This is especially so if you have good friends on your team. Now, my view on HS soccer is a bit skewed because I went to two very competitive soccer high schools--most of you already know where--but we played there because we had fun playing the game and playing it competitively, we took pride in playing for our school, and we enjoyed playing with our schoolmates. I quit a team that wins state every year simply because I had no fun playing for it anymore...and I still got several D1/D2 offers in college and it didn't destroy my "future" options as a player.

Personally, if you don't have fun or you don't love the game, you're playing for the wrong reasons. Every single player I know who stopped having fun with their team and enjoying the game has quit shortly thereafter, most being in D1 college programs and despite thorough playing time and starting.

Lastly, as a note, some of my happiest memories are of me and my dad at soccer tournaments or on trips. I only wish I could spend more time with him like that now because it was "our" time away from the house and the family. So thank you to all the Dads who do have that for their daughters; most of them will be thanking you for it in the future.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 04:07 AM
GETOVERIT,
You best logout, and get a new user name.
You are what most here don't like about soccer
#1 - you're from Texas....Ahhhh! Achmed make joke
#2 - you take the fun out of soccer.

Achmed not know your story, but what could be more important than having fun and spending time with your kids?
That's what SC Soccer is all about.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 08:12 AM
Quote:

Chapindad,
I don't care either, I'll be looking for a team, not club that will provide training and coaching that will benefit my daughter.

Club tryouts in SC generally take place late April through May, after end of HS season.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 11:40 AM
Quote:

Quote:

GETOVERIT... but people with a solid understanding of the game and the passion involved in excellence will also tell you that while hard work and dedication are essential, enjoyment is as well...players show their absolute best when they love what they do.

Totally agree, glad you left the word fun out.

Sorry, I forgot I might have to spell out that last connection...they love what they do because they actually have FUN doing it!

("Fun" isn't just running around giggling...but the best practices are the ones that involve big smiles and at least an occasional laugh--not to mention healthy doses of pride in accomplishment and pure enjoyment.)
Posted By: Soccer_Troll Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 01:05 PM
Texas? Texas?
I heard only two things........
Never mind
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 01:24 PM
ROH got so excited that he wrote his own obituary!

Troll....love that avatar.

I'm willing to give GETOVERIT a mulligan. He came out of the box "strong" with the type of smack talk that is prevalent on most soccer message boards throughout the country. We are definitely a "kinder, gentler" bunch on the HS Girls forum here in South Carolina.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 01:40 PM
not much action on scsoccer these days, either.........rather boring but once in a blue-moon a rebel will post and get the congregation rattled.
Posted By: Meredith Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 01:43 PM
What we don't know is that "getoverit" is probably a 12-year old kid. He sure sounds like it. Go ROH!
Posted By: Jonathan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 03:13 PM
Quote:

not much action on scsoccer these days, either.........

that's what i'm screamin'! think i'll look for a good track board to start passing the time.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 03:58 PM
Quote:

From my experience as a former SC Premier League and HS player (and also, a former California resident), we play first and foremost because we have FUN and LOVE the game of soccer. If you're good enough, you play Premier League/Select/whatever's available because a high level of competition is hard work and, in the end, gratifying and fun. This is especially so if you have good friends on your team. Now, my view on HS soccer is a bit skewed because I went to two very competitive soccer high schools--most of you already know where--but we played there because we had fun playing the game and playing it competitively, we took pride in playing for our school, and we enjoyed playing with our schoolmates. I quit a team that wins state every year simply because I had no fun playing for it anymore...and I still got several D1/D2 offers in college and it didn't destroy my "future" options as a player.

Personally, if you don't have fun or you don't love the game, you're playing for the wrong reasons. Every single player I know who stopped having fun with their team and enjoying the game has quit shortly thereafter, most being in D1 college programs and despite thorough playing time and starting.

Lastly, as a note, some of my happiest memories are of me and my dad at soccer tournaments or on trips. I only wish I could spend more time with him like that now because it was "our" time away from the house and the family. So thank you to all the Dads who do have that for their daughters; most of them will be thanking you for it in the future.

Wow! How every Dad would love to hear those words from their daughter. I hope that your Dad can hear or read this, because that is why Dad's watch/coach/play - not because of soccer, because of the love and fun of being with a daughter.

I have read what you have written over the years, and you are not only a special person but were a very special soccer player.

And its sounds like, a great daughter.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 04:03 PM
OK - Synopsis time, the popcorn is running out, this movie is almost over:

Call me corny, whatever, but I have had the same mantra for every soccer team (or other sport) I have ever coached. It has worked for me, the players don't quit, they say they loved playing ten and thirty years later, and they remain friends. Here's the mantra:

1. Have fun. (if you can't do this, no need to go on)
2. Respect (yourself, and others)
3. Class (in everything you do and every action you take)
4. Play to win (and don't apologize when you do)

Ask any kid who has every played on a team I was associated with, and they will answer the question: "Why are we here?" with the answer: "To Have Fun."

And we do.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 04:22 PM
Sorry, I forgot I might have to spell out that last connection...they love what they do because they actually have FUN doing it! (Quote from Coach Chass)

I believe, if I am correct, that Coach Chass has tried my infamous "Ice Cream Practice". After we accomplish something big, the next day we ONLY eat ice cream at practice and usually several kinds and all you want with sprinkles, etc. Michael Young tried it last year during playoffs and bubbled. The theory is that if all you do after you accomplish something is aim higher, push harder, never be satisfied, then most people will stop trying and quit having fun.

Sometimes in life, when you do something good, you should just reward yourself without any strings attached, without any additional goals, period. Reward yourself.

Ice cream always worked for me. And I have never had a kid complain.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 05:34 PM
This past club season it was popsicles and watermelon, courtesy of my assistant coach who works for USDA and appreciates the value of good produce. (He specializes in researching sweet potatoes, but we didn't think that would go over as well with the girls!)

The idea is the same...take a moment to celebrate and savor a job well done...THEN you stretch for the next rung in the ladder so you have something new to be proud of the next time.

ROH...I still haven't given up on that "sand soccer" game at Edisto!
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 06:09 PM
Me either.
Posted By: Cesar Robles Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 07:11 PM
ROH

Great advice As stated I hope to be having an " Ice Cream Party" with my players this season.

Thanks!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/27/10 07:34 PM
I also like the idea of letting THEM set the next goal, especially while at a high point of pride..."so, what do YOU want to do next?"

Better to guide them toward their goals than push them toward yours...I keep learning that.
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 02:54 AM
Duuuude, I wish my coaches had done an "Ice Cream Party"! I would have been so motivated. Especially if you added chocolate.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 04:39 AM
Don't tell...but coaches enjoy kicking back with some ice cream now and then too.

Especially with chocolate.
Posted By: observer Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 05:48 AM
Getoverit,
If you are looking for year round training and high level competition you might want to see if it is legal to play club in SC in the fall for a Region III team and then travel to GA for the spring. I think their state cup is in May? I would recommend that you attend high school soccer games in your area to see what best suits your daughter's needs. If she is interested in playing D1 then club and ODP are 2 very good options. Not all SC high schools have qualified soccer coaches for the girls' teams. Typically, the team that has the most Region III and SC Challenge club players tends to win. There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk. If your daughter wants to stay in shape, keep touches on the ball, and have fun with her friends and if there is quality coaching and training, then high school soccer can be a wonderful experience.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 12:30 PM
Quote:

I also like the idea of letting THEM set the next goal, especially while at a high point of pride..."so, what do YOU want to do next?"

Better to guide them toward their goals than push them toward yours...I keep learning that.

BINGO!!!!!!

When you get really, really old, and you look back on coaching/playing/sports experiences, here's what I learned:

My players are "brillianter" than me (will explain later). They come up with the stupidest, most childest, self centered goals/ideas I have ever seen, but...those are the expressions of someone who is TRYING to grow up and think for themselves. I learned that sometimes it is best to go with the dumb idea if it is really important to a child or assistant coach. Let them see it won't work. They won't try it again and they will learn from it. LEARNING is the key element in deciding whether teaching is working or not. You can't learn to make good decisions and set great goals without trying, failing, and learning what to do different.

When I am by myself, I do believe that I am brilliant. But with four children, a wife who constantly makes sure I don't get overly confident, and 40 teenagers I have no chance to really think that very often. That's why I always tell them they are "brillianter" (and I have a Masters in English too!).

GREAT post Chass - you got it right!
Posted By: dropkick99 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 02:01 PM
Observer
You brought up an issue that has bothered me since my son started school ball 2 years ago and my daughter last year: "There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk." I have asked the question "Why?". Is it the money? I and many parents will be glad to take up a collection to pay the third official if that's what it takes. Are there not enough "licensed" officials? Then open up the field to all referees of a certain level. Why does a HS ref have to be certified by the SCHL? Is is for the money? Or is it a matter of control? I know that SCHL rules for play are somewhat different than FIFA (never understood that one either?) Don't they (SCHL) care about the safety of the players? I may be wrong, but doesn't FIFA state that a ref may not officiate a match unless 3 officials are present for matches where players are above a certain age (U-10?)?
Posted By: dropkick99 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 02:20 PM
Another thing while I am venting. I am so tired of the "turf Wars" between school coaches of different sports and between club versus school. My son and 4 other players on his club/hs team could not tryout for school soccer while if they were playing school basketball. And some of these guys were very good basketball players (AAU and all). They gave it up for soccer, They shouldn't have had to as long as they could keep their grades up. And don't try to talk to the football coach about soccer players trying out as kickers. If they have a conflict with their club team, forget it.
High School ball gets no respect from many club coaches. And in many respects they are right. The level of play, speed of play, level of coaching and safety are all issues at many high schools. But club coaches/parents must understand that school ball is different as far as the players are concerned. Playing for your school, mascot, lettering, the comradery of playing with schoolmates are all aspects that weigh heavy on the desire of athletes to play school ball. Many club coaches and parents do not understand or recognize this. On my daughter's JV team this year, one player's club coach from across the lake told her she couldn't play school ball. And another girls parents told her that she is an elite player (and she is) and is wasting her time playing school ball and will not let her play. Very sad.
Posted By: AgentOrange Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 02:22 PM
I wish all parents would collect the money, if that happened at our school then we could have three refs at all matches if they are available.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 02:55 PM
This thread has taken a differnt turn but it still addresses what goes on between parents,coaches and players..
GETOVERIT started this thread wanting to get a feel for High school soccer in SC..He actually answered most of the questions himself in his first posts..Players play for fun..to be around friends and school pride in that order..
You want your child to have a great high school experience?
Let THEM have it..club coaches stay home and parents get involved..when asked to get involved..otherwise buy a ticket and enjoy the experience with them...In the bleachers!!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 03:21 PM
GETOVERIT..
IF you want your child to play on the best school team available..History would dictate that you move into Mauldin's district or move down to the beach and go to Wando
Posted By: Coach P Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 08:07 PM
Quote:

Observer
You brought up an issue that has bothered me since my son started school ball 2 years ago and my daughter last year: "There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk." I have asked the question "Why?". Is it the money? I and many parents will be glad to take up a collection to pay the third official if that's what it takes. Are there not enough "licensed" officials? Then open up the field to all referees of a certain level. Why does a HS ref have to be certified by the SCHL? Is is for the money? Or is it a matter of control? I know that SCHL rules for play are somewhat different than FIFA (never understood that one either?) Don't they (SCHL) care about the safety of the players? I may be wrong, but doesn't FIFA state that a ref may not officiate a match unless 3 officials are present for matches where players are above a certain age (U-10?)?

High School sports are played under rules set by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). They set the rules for 16 high school sports, not just soccer. NFHS is not a member of USSF or FIFA.

The issue of 2 referees which is allowed under NFHS has been discussed on this board extensively almost every year since I have been registered. I have been a USSF referee for 15 years and high school for 8 years. I refused to do high school for 7 years because of the 2 man system. There is NO way to sufficiently cover the field with just 2 referees.

I still believe this is a money issue. The referee assigner in the Columbia district has offered for about 5 years now to assign 3 referees for any school that requests them. Not many request 3. Some ADs will pay for 3 referees for region games but that is all. About 3 years ago I was one of 3 referees doing a game in the Columbia area and the AD was present as the site adminstrator. I thanked him for having 3 referees and he said: "There weren't supposed to be 3. This is not a region game."

If you feel strongly about this, contact your school's AD and suggest (or insist) that they request 3 referees.
Posted By: Coach P Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/28/10 09:19 PM
Quote:

But club coaches/parents must understand that school ball is different as far as the players are concerned. Playing for your school, mascot, lettering, the comradery of playing with schoolmates are all aspects that weigh heavy on the desire of athletes to play school ball. Many club coaches and parents do not understand or recognize this. On my daughter's JV team this year, one player's club coach from across the lake told her she couldn't play school ball. And another girls parents told her that she is an elite player (and she is) and is wasting her time playing school ball and will not let her play. Very sad.

The primary club season for U13/U14 in SC is in the spring. It's basically impossible for a U14 team to be competitive in the Region 3 Premier League if their players miss most of the practices because they have JV games on those nights. Maybe it's OK for less competitive club teams like those in PMSL, but not Premier or even the more competitive Challenge teams. When my daughter was in the 7th and 8th grades, the SCHSL would not allow them to play both club and high school simultaneously. She and all of her club teammates decided to play club instead of JV.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 05:01 AM
ROH
Let me start by saying I hope your daughter has had a full recovery and is ready to tear it up this HS season.
As far as me challenging your soccer knowledge nothing could be further from the truth. Why would I challenge your soccer knowledge when I have never met you before. I made a basic statement about soccer forums and implied nothing about your lack of soccer knowledge, if you took it that way I offer my apoligies. You said you had an "A" license right? Just Kidding.
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 05:12 AM
Smallsodaman
The Achmed gig is soooooo old, tired and definitely not funny.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 11:58 AM
Getoverit...you make an excellent point...just why WOULD anyone challenge someone's soccer knowledge when they have never met that person before? Classic blunder, though...one person talks actual accomplishments, the other argues "license."

Just curious, though...since it obviously wasn't a personal statement on anyone (that would be silly), just what DID trigger the need to make a general statement on basic qualifications for soccer forums?

Oh, and if you think SSM's "Achmed" is bad, you should see my "Walter."

(Insert catch-phrase.)
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 01:07 PM
Quote:

Smallsodaman
The Achmed gig is soooooo old, tired and definitely not funny.

GETOVERIT
You probable right, it time for Achmed and SSM to retire. Achmed was developed to combat the evil empire Chapin, but over the years, through club and high school, Achmed has learned that Chapin isn’t so evil after all. And I have been doing this soooo…….hey wait a minute…I thought you were new to this blog. Registered 1/22/10. Holy Crap! Achmed change mind, not going to retire.
GETOVERIT….Bite me.
Over the years Achmed has pissed off a lot of bloggers on this site, bloggers that Achmed actually cares about their opinion. Why would I care about some supposed Texas hick’s opinion that cares more about his daughter’s win/loss record than putting his butt in the seat during her game? Hopefully Kitten’s message hit a note with you.
Well, Achmed gotta go, got to go talk to the coach about his son not getting enough play’n time.
Oh and btw Chapin….Achmed lied. I still not like you
Posted By: wakaflockamyers Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 01:11 PM
I mess my money up now I cant re-up!!! Ran up in his Spot!!!
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 04:10 PM
Quote:

ROH
Let me start by saying I hope your daughter has had a full recovery and is ready to tear it up this HS season.
As far as me challenging your soccer knowledge nothing could be further from the truth. Why would I challenge your soccer knowledge when I have never met you before. I made a basic statement about soccer forums and implied nothing about your lack of soccer knowledge, if you took it that way I offer my apoligies. You said you had an "A" license right? Just Kidding.

OK. I thank you for those comments and agree with the first part entirely. Here are my thoughts:

1. You got on a forum as a new guy and got excited. We all do. Wait until you have nothing to do one night and you go back and read all of the "Dale" posts. Best book I ever read.
2. Achmed is one of the funniest guys on this forum, and he will kick your teeth down the back of your throat. I really do enjoy his antics.
3. Coach Chass real name is Coach Class but he is too humble to sign on like that.
4. Best thing I ever got in my life was from Texas (my wife, not the armadillo boots).
5. I DO NOT HAVE AN A LICENSE. I don't have an MBA either. I worked in business for 36 years and met a ton of MBA's. Most of them worked for me. I took care of them, fed their families, and developed a family of people who had fun, were highly profitable, and enjoyed coming to work. Packaging Corporation of America - $2B company, retired in 2006 and started back coaching soccer. Still don't have an MBA. Or an "A" License.
6. I am glad you are on this forum. We enjoy people with "life" and you obviously have that. You also have a daughter who must be able to play, and that is always a good thing (Achmed will only agree if she doesn't play at Chapin). We are all pretty much normal people, coaching or watching a sport we love, and we enjoy it. I would like to welcome you to the group, forget all that was said or whatever, and look forward to your future input.

OK, enough of the Mr. Nice Guy. Balls come out Monday and it is SOCCER TIME!

Retired, Old, and Happy and going to Disneyworld with the grandchildren if the snow doesn't try to stop us!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/29/10 04:51 PM
The "Class" title fits you better than me...you'd have to drop a couple of letters to have an accurate assessment of my character.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 12:18 AM
Holy Crap!!
Achmed must now add one more infidel to his list of respected adversaries...
I am humbled by ROH's awesome presence. Your wisdom is only match by my friend Coach Chass.

May your camels and under garments always be free of fleas
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 12:31 AM
OH....and since Achmed is out here
adidaskitten86, will you marry me?

I don't eat much....
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 01:43 AM
Achmed on wrong website.

Should try ehornyme.com
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 12:04 PM
Quote:

Achmed on wrong website.

Should try ehornyme.com

Oh....this must be a web site about one of the things that come from Texas? Steers.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 04:19 PM
Quote:

OH....and since Achmed is out here
adidaskitten86, will you marry me?

So, let's see.....the offspring future starter at BC/BE would be named.......achmedkitten2028? That ain't right!
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 04:20 PM
Run, addidaskitten86, run for your life!!!!!
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 05:00 PM
It's okay, I don't have the time to train a new male anyway...there's a lot of work involved in that!
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 05:55 PM
I thought that was impossible...And I am not sure that Achmed is that "new".....
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 06:29 PM

Hey! I Resemble That Remark
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/30/10 08:59 PM
One can do wonders with electro-shock training...
Posted By: GETOVERIT Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/31/10 02:45 AM
Quote:

Just curious, though...since it obviously wasn't a personal statement on anyone (that would be silly), just what DID trigger the need to make a general statement on basic qualifications for soccer forums?

After reading some of the comments I thought it was time.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: SC Girls HS soccer - 01/31/10 03:11 AM
Ok, I leave for a day to go to the Winter Clinic with a few more casual sideline observers, and you guys turn this thread into a dating site...

Good call, AK...most of us males require more training than we're worth...
© SC Soccer