SC Soccer
Posted By: CJ Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 01:32 AM
If I am not mistaken this will be the first time that both coaches in the 4A final are ladies. Shannon Champ has been successful for several years now and Katelyn Davis has her team playing unbelievably together at the right time in just her second year as a head coach.

So it begs the question, if you are an AD and all things are equal should you hire a female coach for girls over a male coach?

This isn't as easy as it seems because several of my good friends in the business are very good with girls. Guys like Terry Archenhold, Raimond Hartmann, Mike Mauldin, Andy Robinson, Fernando Gomez, and Kevin Czar are very gifted working with girls but I have seen Coach Davis reach the girls in ways I know I would not have. I just thought it would be an interesting discussion.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 02:22 AM
Friday night is.........LADIES NIGHT!
Posted By: MPSC#1 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 12:19 PM
AM's coach is in her second year and going for her second championship......
Posted By: Marcus H. Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 12:26 PM
Quote:

AM's coach is in her second year and going for her second championship......

QUEEN FAWG OF HS SOCCER!!!
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 05:30 PM
CJ: All things are seldom equal. That said, the REAL question is, why don't more ADs hire women to coach boys?
Posted By: 202677 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 05:37 PM
Quote:

CJ: All things are seldom equal. That said, the REAL question is, why don't more ADs hire women to coach boys?

Probably cause they don't coach football.
Posted By: keepergirl77 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 05:46 PM
If Friday night is ladies night does that mean we get in for free???
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 05:49 PM
Victory ... Good points. Lots of football coach/ADs out there, looking to fill teaching slots (particularly PE/Health and Driver Ed) with assistant football coaches.
One point I would make is, competence is FAR more important than gender. And neither gender corners the market on competence. Or incompetence, for that matter.
Posted By: catsdad Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/16/12 11:47 PM
Kyle, I'm sure you're busy with end of school stuff, but I've waited all day for you to do something about Marcus's post. My girl's play soccer, b-ball and run cc coached by very GREAT women coaches. I hate to be pc here, but Marcus's post is disgusting.
Posted By: sandman Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 04:00 AM
for some of us that are parenting girls we prefer female role models up close & personal, dentists, doctors, vetranarians, coaches, teachers, principals, etc...wando & other schools provide some of that. hats off to the strong women role models guiding our young ladies.
Posted By: Flying Soccer Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 11:13 AM
I'm a firm believer that females should coach girls sports. However, I question at times the moral standards some coaches set for their players. Just sayin! Plus, I don't like Nicki Hayley.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 02:03 PM
Sandman: I see your point. I've just seen too many competent (and incompetent) coaches OF BOTH GENDERS to believe that "gender" should be the ultimate qualifier or disqualifier.
Also, as I've said elsewhere on this board, I believe it's VERY important that a male head coach working with female athletes be supported by a staff that includes at least one strong female role model.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 05:12 PM
Quote:

I'm a firm believer that females should coach girls sports. However, I question at times the moral standards some coaches set for their players. Just sayin! Plus, I don't like Nicki Hayley.

For instance...
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 05:14 PM
Quote:

No...it means your coke is only 50 cents while the guys have to pay twice the amount
Posted By: sandman Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 11:35 PM
Quote:

Sandman: I see your point. I've just seen too many competent (and incompetent) coaches OF BOTH GENDERS to believe that "gender" should be the ultimate qualifier or disqualifier.
Also, as I've said elsewhere on this board, I believe it's VERY important that a male head coach working with female athletes be supported by a staff that includes at least one strong female role model.

totally agree
Posted By: sandman Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/17/12 11:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

No...it means your coke is only 50 cents while the guys have to pay twice the amount

no kidding, every night is ladies night.
ladies night = kids eat free.
my kid has never paid for a meal.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Ladies coaching young ladies - 05/18/12 01:32 AM
Even better when the female coach is a teacher in the school. Nice to have a professional educator guiding these young ladies, they seem to be able to keep it all in the proper perspective.
© SC Soccer