SC Soccer
Posted By: MT4ME Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 01:56 PM
The end of the season is a little over two weeks away with playoffs just around the corner. Any predictions? I am more familiar with upper state teams and have seen several of them play. Mann probably has the most overall talent, but Wade Hampton, Fort Mill, Dorman are all having very good seasons. Wando, Dutch Fork, and Blythewood are AAAA teams that are also having good seasons. When it comes to playoffs, anything can happen, and the team with overall chemistry that plays well together can pull an upset over a team with the most talent.

When it comes to AAA, I believe it will be between Greenville and Eastside. With AA I think Christ Church will be the winner of Upper State.

Of course, I've been wrong with my predictions in the past. How about Lower State? Anyone willing to jump in?
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 02:15 PM
One more thing? Are playoff brackets posted yet?
Posted By: Chantman Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 03:27 PM
Backets are on the SCHSL website.
Posted By: Chantman Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 03:37 PM
I'll take a shot and jump in.

AAAA - If Wando wins out, the Lower State Finals will be played at Wando. My thought is that the Region 8 #1 (currently Fort D.) or the Region 5 #2 (currently Lexington) will play them in the final.

Region 5 #1 (currently Dutch Fork) appears to be the top team in the other side of the Lower State bracket. Lot of soccer to be played on how Region 5 ends up.

AAA - Hilton Head is the top dog but I'd look out for James Island. They are very young and getting better with each match. Their freshman keeper will keep them in every match.

A/AA - I think you can go ahead and give this to Academic Magnet. Scary thing about AM, they have no seniors.

Just one persons thoughts.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 03:59 PM
Quote:

Backets are on the SCHSL website.

Where??

I have looked. Am I blind?
Posted By: Chantman Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 04:08 PM
Use this link. http://www.schsl.org/2013Forms/AAAA12-13Handbook.pdf

It's either on page 66 or 67 of the handbook.

I just realized this is the 2012/2013 handbook and not the 2013/2014 one.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 04:26 PM
Quote:

Use this link. http://www.schsl.org/2013Forms/AAAA12-13Handbook.pdf

It's either on page 66 or 67 of the handbook.

I just realized this is the 2012/2013 handbook and not the 2013/2014 one.

Awesome! Thank you sir.

They need to get this up on this site.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 06:09 PM
A few thoughts...

The Wando v Academic Magnet game on May 1 will give us a good comparison between Wando and Fort Mill. Fort Mill beat AM in PKs in the viking cup so how Wando does will say a lot about how Wando and FM might line up.

Dorman and Wade Hampton play this week with their region championship on the line. Dorman looks to have the up hand based on their previous win over Hampton.

Mann and Fort Mill shouldn't be challenged until playoffs.

So... unless Lexington can pull an upset for the ages I would expect Wando to win the lower.

In the Upper it looks Fort Mill and Mann are on a collision course for the Upper State championship.

I think that game comes down to home field. Remember Fort Mill went to Mann last year in the playoffs and nearly played Mann to a tie. The game winning goal was scored with about 20 mins left and the difference turned out to be a PK off an inadvertent hand ball in the box. So these were two very evenly matched teams last year. And Fort Mill is a better team this year than last year. (No diss on Mann they may be better too, I don't know.)

I think the turf field could be a factor too. FM has played 10 of its last 11 games on turf and only has one more grass game left so by time they get to the Upper state that will be 17 out of 19 games on turf. Teams that play on grass tend to struggle on turf with their passing because surface is faster and they tend over kick it, plus the field is wider. Unless they changed since last year Mann plays on grass and I don't recall it being a wide field (correct me if I am wrong on either account) So in a tight game turf could be the difference between winning and losing.

Overall I think a Mann v Fort Mill game should be a very good game, last years game certainly was one. FM's only goal came on a goalie v player collision with the ball trickling through in slow motion. And it took Mann 60 minutes to get their only field goal (not counting the PK) so I would expect this to be another very close hard fought battle between two of the best teams in the state.

After that the winner can try and beat Wando.

At 3a its gonna be an Eastside v Hilton Head rematch again, four straight for Hilton Head?

2a Academic Magnet, who could could lay claim to being the best team in the state if they beat Wando next week. Although they do play a pretty weak schedule.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 07:55 PM
I agree with much of what you've said. I will have to take your word on Fort Mill's talent since I haven't seen them play, but it's clear from their record that they are one of the best teams in the state. I've looked at the brackets, but it's still hard to determine when teams will meet with one another. If Mann and Fort Mill hit no bumps in the road between now and Upper State, they should meet there. But, one of the two will have to face Wade Hampton early on and the other will face Dorman. Wade Hampton is good this year, and it will be interesting to watch them in the playoffs. They had a good team last year, but, if I remember correctly, they were without one of their top scorers during last year's playoffs. Dorman is good too.

As far as the home field goes, that is an advantage for Fort Mill. The turf may also play to their advantage, although Mann does have quite a few ECNL players who see turf quite often. I think that the faster team is usually the team with the advantage on turf. I'm not sure if that is Fort Mill or Mann, but Mann does have it's share of fast players, provided those fast players who are used to playing on turf are on the field for much of the game.

In the end, much in high school comes down to coaching and getting the right mix of players on the field at the right time. Most high school teams rely on the neighborhoods that feed into the school, and it's up to the coach to make the best of the mix of talent they are given. Wando is a huge school in a soccer rich area with a coach that is successful in both club and high school. They have the state championships to show for it. It will be interesting to see if there is a new team (either Mann, Wade Hampton, Fort Mill, or Dorman) that will take that championship away from them.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 07:57 PM
One more thing. I did see Academic Magnet play during the Viking Cup. I was impressed, and if they have no seniors that's even more impressive.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 08:18 PM
Not disagreeing, but do not forget that Region 4 top two team go to upper state as well. Likely Blythewood, and Irmo or Spring Valley. Over look these teams and you could be in trouble! Blythewood played a very scrappy/chippy game at the Viking Cup losing to FM 1-0 late (poor conditions and 2 man ref system made for an ugly game). They were the upper state runner up to JL Mann in a 2-1 game last year and can get there again this year. No way I take my eye off them!

Now why the upper gets both 1&2 from region 4 instead of 1&3 or 2&4 sounds to me like lower state gets more votes on the brackets!
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/22/14 08:30 PM
Quote:

Not disagreeing, but do not forget that Region 4 top two team go to upper state as well. Likely Blythewood, and Irmo or Spring Valley. Over look these teams and you could be in trouble! Blythewood played a very scrappy/chippy game at the Viking Cup losing to FM 1-0 late (poor conditions and 2 man ref system made for an ugly game). They were the upper state runner up to JL Mann in a 2-1 game last year and can get there again this year. No way I take my eye off them!

Now why the upper gets both 1&2 from region 4 instead of 1&3 or 2&4 sounds to me like lower state gets more votes on the brackets!

I don't disagree with you. I just don't know much about Blythewood, Spring Valley or Irmo since I haven't seen them play this year.

That is interesting. Does it change from year to year and this is upperstate's year to have 1&2?
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/23/14 02:06 AM
Assuming no upsets between now and playoffs and none in the 1st round the 2nd round of the playoffs would look like this:

#1 Mann v
#2 Wade Hampton
winner gets

#1 Blythewood v
#2 Lancaster

#1 Fort Mill v
#2 Irmo
winner gets

#1 Dorman v
#2 TL Hanna

Mann and Fort Mill would be at home in the 3rd round
Fort Mill or Dorman would be at home for the Upper state

The Upper State would have:

#1 Mann
#3 Fort Mill
#4 Dorman
#5 Wade Hampton
#7 Blythewood
#10 Riverside <-- opens against Lancaster
#11 TL Hanna
#14 Hillcrest <-- opens against Blythewood
#15 Irmo

Lower gets
#2 Wando
#6 Dutch Fork
#8 Lexington
#9 Spring Valley region IV 3rd and 4th team play in the lower.
#12 South Aiken
#13 West Ashley
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/23/14 02:40 AM
Not to bad mouth the lower ranked teams, but I think it would be a shock if the state championship is anything other than Wando v Mann/Fort Mill.

Wando, Mann and Fort Mill have each allowed on 3 goals this year.

Blythewood has only allowed 6, but they'd have to beat Mann and Fort Mill in back to back road games.

Dorman, Wade Hampton, and Dutch Fork have had games where they allowed 3 goals.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/23/14 12:24 PM
Quote:

Not to bad mouth the lower ranked teams, but I think it would be a shock if the state championship is anything other than Wando v Mann/Fort Mill.

Wando, Mann and Fort Mill have each allowed on 3 goals this year.

Blythewood has only allowed 6, but they'd have to beat Mann and Fort Mill in back to back road games.

Dorman, Wade Hampton, and Dutch Fork have had games where they allowed 3 goals.

Actually Wade Hampton had one game where they allowed two goals and then lost in PKs. That was against Dorman. Take that game out and they gave allowed five goals in a region where most games are competitive. Having seen both of these teams play a couple of times this year, I like Wade Hampton's chances in the playoffs. I think they could cause problems with most defenses out there. Plus, their defense is strong. Can they beat Fort Mill or Mann? I don't know know. But, I do think it would be a close game with either team.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/23/14 01:48 PM
I didn't know Wade Hampton and Dorman had tied and went into PKs.
So those teams look to be about even.

Outside of the first most playoff games tend to be close, but they also tend to be won by the higher seed. Again look at last years bracket the only #1 seed to lose before the 3rd round was Northwestern and they were 16-6 and lost to 15-4 Hanna.

You could probably take the end of the year records and plot out who will win every playoff game based on that and be right in almost every case.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/23/14 03:03 PM
Quote:

I didn't know Wade Hampton and Dorman had tied and went into PKs.
So those teams look to be about even.

Outside of the first most playoff games tend to be close, but they also tend to be won by the higher seed. Again look at last years bracket the only #1 seed to lose before the 3rd round was Northwestern and they were 16-6 and lost to 15-4 Hanna.

You could probably take the end of the year records and plot out who will win every playoff game based on that and be right in almost every case.

You could be right. The two teams are pretty evenly matched, so it will be interesting to see the results of their final game. That may well settle which team will come out on top of the region. If Wade Hampton wins, they could end up tied with wins/losses. I have no idea of the region tiebreaker.
It's a toss up. The X factor is the Dorman field - larger than the usual football conversion.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/24/14 01:53 AM
I think your Region 3 pick of Lancaster as the #2 maybe off the mark. They have to play 4 games, 3 against teams they lost to (the other was a 2-1win at home)already and I believe all on the road. They could even lose them all and not make playoffs. Likely they will lose a couple and get passed by NaFo who will likely only lose 1 more, Clover and NWHS may pass them too depending on how the games break and the tie breakers may decide who gets in as 2,3,4 (may all have same record!) my guess is NaFo is #2 with Clover in the hunt because of home field games.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/24/14 01:54 PM
Poor Lancaster, last four games on the road. And three to teams they have lost to already and the 4th has to be close to a 2 hour drive by school bus.

What a horrible way to end what has been a good season for them up to this point.
Posted By: Chantman Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/25/14 06:18 PM
Big games in the Lowcountry tonight. James Island @ Hilton Head, Wando @ West Ashley and Fort Dochester @ Ashley Ridge.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/25/14 10:02 PM
Wade Hampton and Dorman tonight too. This is probably the biggest game left before the playoffs since the winner should be the #1 seed and loser faces Mann in the 2nd round at Mann.

Although I don't know their tie breaker rules. But I think I'd much rather be hosting a TL Hanna in the 2nd round than traveling to Mann.
Wade Hampton 1-0. Game was 5-6 shots per Dorman 1. Congrats Lexi and Mimi. Dorman will rule in coming years
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/26/14 06:06 PM
Maybe, but Mann moves to Region 2 next year having only lost a few seniors.
I am thinking about more than next year.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 04/27/14 01:01 AM
Quote:

I am thinking about more than next year.

So am I. Mann has players coming their way for the next few years and beyond, including one of the best seventh graders I've ever seen play the game.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/05/14 07:39 PM
Quote:

Poor Lancaster, last four games on the road. And three to teams they have lost to already and the 4th has to be close to a 2 hour drive by school bus.

What a horrible way to end what has been a good season for them up to this point.

Looks like Lancaster is going to pull off the "upsets" and end up region 3 #2! Looks like they will go 3-1 in those 4 games! Went from 5-9 last year to maybe 10-4 this year! Gotta think their coach will be in the running, or at least get a look at, for coach of the year in region 3.

Wonder how the rest of the "predictions" are hold up?
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/05/14 08:43 PM
Lancaster has beat Clover two times so even if they lose their last game they should still be the #2 based on head to head.

But with the possible exception of Wade Hampton I don't see any of the #2 seed teams beating a #1 team. And of course Wade Hampton has to play Mann so there goes that idea.

The upstate will probably go exactly as they are ranked.

Four #1 teams in the 3rd round then Fort Mill v Mann is a toss-up.
And unless Hilton Head gets moved to 4a I don't see anyone beating Wando at this point.

Just look at how the top three teams are winning compared to everyone else:
Mann has allowed 4 goals
Wando 3
Fort Mill 3

vs Dutch Fork's 15 or Wade Hamptons 8. Looks to be a big jump from the #4/5 teams and the top 3.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/07/14 06:02 PM
Can anybody tell me what the Top #5 means in the upperstate 4A playoff bracket for the opponent for TL Hanna?
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/07/14 06:34 PM
Roughly... a couple of the upper state regions get their #5 teams to the playoffs.

So the better #5 would be Hanna and the other would be wherever
Mann will be very good for at least 3 more years. They will have at least 5 girls that are on the current roster that will be playing Div. 1 soccer.
I know that these teams are going to fight it out. Out of Mann's 4 goals given up, none were against their starting goalie. It is going to be a great playoff. I would like to know why Dorman is expected to be good in the next few years. They have all CFC club girls and they could not even come close to competing with CESA's top teams. I'm not putting them down but I have heard some pretty bold statements from Dorman parents about they could compete in the ECNL.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/07/14 10:37 PM
Quote:

Mann will be very good for at least 3 more years. They will have at least 5 girls that are on the current roster that will be playing Div. 1 soccer.

I do believe Upperstate and the state championship is Mann's to lose. Obviously, the girls have to show up to play the game, and they will need to play well so some of the stronger teams don't surprise them. Coaching will play a role and giving the top players the opportunity to make it happen will be the key.
I agree. I think that Wando's coach could take Mann's players and hand it to Wando. What if Mann had Andrew Hyslop as a Coach? That is basically what Wando has had for how many years. That and 5000 students. It is like being an NBA coach. You don't do a whole lot. The girls have enough experience that coaching can hurt more than help in high school. 4 players on Mann will be playing u20 all summer. They really learn a lot playing with college girls from all divisions. My daughter played with Stephanie Devita and friends last year as a u15 and went to the nationals in Florida.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/07/14 11:04 PM
Quote:

I know that these teams are going to fight it out. Out of Mann's 4 goals given up, none were against their starting goalie. It is going to be a great playoff. I would like to know why Dorman is expected to be good in the next few years. They have all CFC club girls and they could not even come close to competing with CESA's top teams. I'm not putting them down but I have heard some pretty bold statements from Dorman parents about they could compete in the ECNL.

Think some ones numbers are off or not up to date. Based on the current score board
#1 JLMann gave up 7 goals, 2 twice, and 1 in region play
#2 Wando gave up 4 goals, none in region
#3 FM gave up 3 goals, 1 in region play
#4 DF gave up 21 goals, not worth going into detail
#5 Wade H gave up 9 goals, " "
#6 Dorman gave up 19 goals, " "

Clearly there is a drop off after the 1st three. How many anyone's starting/backup goalie gave seems to be not worth discussing just like how many goals the top teams scored likely they could run it up to 20 in many games if they desired. Will be interesting when the high scoring teams run into the no give away D's! Should be some good games ahead!

As for the Dorman thing well, region 2 was tough enough with Dorman, Wade Hampton, Riverside, Mauldin and now ya wanna throw Mann in the mix! Wow! I am guessing no one in region 2 is looking forward to seeing Mann twice a season!

From what I have seen comparing club to school teams is not really a good idea. To many factors, time, money, school zone affect the club/school mix. It works when you talk about groups of school in one area vs. another but school to school..... Just like the we got X number of future Div. 1 players on our team, ask yourself how many girls want to go to college to play soccer vs. get a specific education. I have seen many Div. 1 possible players decide school(college) was more important than soccer in the long run. Not knocking those who want to play on after high school, just pointing out that many players who could choose that route go another way and judging the strength of a program by how many play Div. 1 IMHO not a valid measure. Good Luck in your first round game.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:09 AM
Perspective:

Wando is bigger than Mann and Fort Mill combined!

We could take a Mann and FM all star team and have them play Wando and Wando would still have a numerical advantage. 3551 vs 3343.

So let's just call the Upper State Championship the 4a state championship and then the State Championship can be the 5a state championship.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:44 AM
More perspective:

Mann may have the best record in the state, but they also played the weakest non-conference schedule of the top 3 teams (Mann, Fort Mill, Wando)

Mann played
Dorman #6 in state in a scrimmage
Riverside #10 in a scrimmage
Eastside probably top 10 in the state

Wando
#8 Irmo
#9 Blythewood
#12 TL Hanna
Hilton Head probably top 5 in state
Peachtree ridge #7 in George
Academic Magnet probably top 10 in state

Fort Mill
#9 Blythewood
Academic Magnet
Lake Norman #6 in North Carolina

Think of it this way: is there a team that Mann beat that Wando or Fort Mill wouldn't also beat? Or if Wando/Fort Mill played Mann's schedule they would probably both be undefeated as well.

21-0 is impressive, but keep in mind Wichita State was 34-0 going into this years NCAA and look how that turned out. I am not saying that Mann isn't a good team cause clearly they are, but I am pointing out that I don't think you can look at these teams on paper and declare any of them to be better than the other two.

I think any of the three of them could win the State Championship without it being much of a surprise.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 12:03 PM
Pjay
You forgot yo mention that Mann also played Bishop England, Christ Church, and TL Hanna (twice). No doubt they play in a weak region, but when you add those teams, their schedule doesn't seem nearly as weak. Bishop England beat Peachtree Ridge while Wando lost to them (also lost to Hilton Head). The bottom line is these are three strong teams that all play in pretty weak regions with just a few games that aren't blowouts. I would say that Mann played as tough a schedule as Fort Mill and Wando. In the end, it's hard to say how it will turn out. Fort Mill and Mann will face some of their toughest competition of the year on their way to the Upperstate Championship. While I am not as familiar with the Columbia teams, I have seen Wade Hampton and Dorman play and both are teams that give any of these teams some trouble.

Coaching is a factor as these high school coaches attempt to get players from various teams to come together. Wando has many very good players as well as a coach who has demonstrated her ability to do that. Can the other coaches accomplish that? We will see.
It is tough on Mann being in the weaker region but they have no control. As a team, they don't see as much competition. They do however work their rear ends off outside of High School. Everybody knows that a lot of the girls play club ball. The Canadian team they played the other night was very good. As for Dorman, Mann scrimmaged them and won 4 - 2. It was early in the year and mostly 2nd and 3rd strings played. Dorman seems to be physical not so much tactical. It is going to be a good playoff this year. May the best team win and everybody come through with no injuries.
Last thing, I heard the finals were going to be played on turf, is that true or just a rumor?
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:00 PM
TL Hanna is 12-7, decent team but not one of the top schools.
Christ Church also looks like a decent team, but other than tying Eastside what is their best victory? TL Hanna?
Bishop England also looks like a decent team, didn't know they beat Peachtree Ridge, but they also lost to Academic Magnet twice and Wando, Mann and Dutch Fork.

CC and BE are both good 2a schools, but both seem to struggle against better 4a teams and on last years Massey rating they were ranked 14 and 25 with similar records to this year.

As for who played a tougher schedule, Wando probably has the toughest schedule in the state. Academic Magnet and Hilton Head are better than any team Mann played (with the possible exception of Eastside). On top of that they have Irmo, Blythewood and Peachtree ridge all of whom are probably better than the three teams you just mentioned.

As Fort Mill, their schedule is probably weaker overall due to a very weak region this year, but they did play and beat a couple of top teams.

And my goal isn't to demean what Mann did, 21-0 is awesome and no one went undefeated last year so good for them. I am just pointing out that if Wando or FM played the same schedule there is a good chance they would be undefeated too. Name a team that Mann beat that would beat FM or Wando.
Mauldin and Riverside have seemed to have dropped off. How much of it is kids being able to go to freely switch to Mann? None, a couple, several, many? I have no idea.

Just seems odd how things have shifted.

Please do not shoot the guy with an honest question.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:13 PM
Pjay,
I mentioned TL Hanna because you mentioned them as a win for Wando. So, are they worthy of mention when supporting Wando's difficult schedule but not Mann's? I'm just trying to figure it out.
Chief,
The amount of goals given up really means nothing. I'm sure that everyone replaced their best goalie to give their back ups experience. I know that Mann did. The 2 goals Mann gave up in the scrimmage to Dorman was when they had JV players getting some experience.

My opinion: this thing comes down to 3 teams unless someone has a bad day:
Fort Mill/Mann and Wando. I don't think anyone else has a good chance from the Upstate or lower state. I do know this. Good club players are spread out more in the Upstate and more concentrated in the the lower state. This theory is really true with Wando. They have mostly club players and a great club coach that coaches them in both club and high school. That is my opinion, but I think that I am very close to being right.
Don't anybody take offense.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:19 PM
uwishucouldplay --- everyone is in a weak region with the exception of Region 2 this year.

And the rumor about the finals is true. New school with turf field, heard its a really nice complex too.

Here is a nice picture of their stadium.
http://rbhs.lexington1.net:8044/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo-67.jpg
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 02:31 PM
Quote:

Pjay,
I mentioned TL Hanna because you mentioned them as a win for Wando. So, are they worthy of mention when supporting Wando's difficult schedule but not Mann's? I'm just trying to figure it out.

I was just pointing out non-conference schedules since these three teams are not challenged by their in-conference opponents. Fort Mill out scored it conference 89-1 I believe.

But your point about Hanna is valid, at the same time though Hanna is a decent team, but not top 10 in the state and probably not a team where you would say "we beat them thus we are good"
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 03:03 PM
Quote:

Mauldin and Riverside have seemed to have dropped off. How much of it is kids being able to go to freely switch to Mann? None, a couple, several, many? I have no idea.

The answer to your question is that special permission hasn't played a role in in Mann's team. I know of one player there on special permission. I have no idea about Mann's other teams, but it hasn't played a factor at all with the girl's soccer team. Just so you know, kids are not able to freely switch to Mann. Like many schools, they end up with a wait list. Plus, a player can't simply switch to Mann and play the following year unless they move to that school. Transfer rules apply and the player would need to sit out a season.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 03:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Pjay,

I was just pointing out non-conference schedules since these three teams are not challenged by their in-conference opponents. Fort Mill out scored it conference 89-1 I believe.

But your point about Hanna is valid, at the same time though Hanna is a decent team, but not top 10 in the state and probably not a team where you would say "we beat them thus we are good"

So, Mann beat #6 and #10. Wando beat #8 & #9. Fort Mill beat #9 and somehow Mann still has the weakest schedule of the three? I am just trying to understand how you came to that conclusion. I would argue that the team that played the toughest schedule is Dorman, and they are in sixth place because of that schedule.
Posted By: Cav Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 04:59 PM
You all crack me up with all of your rhetoric. Just play the game. If they meet, we will then see. There are still other teams that would like to make an impact in the playoffs as well.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 05:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pjay,

So, Mann beat #6 and #10. Wando beat #8 & #9. Fort Mill beat #9 and somehow Mann still has the weakest schedule of the three? I am just trying to understand how you came to that conclusion. I would argue that the team that played the toughest schedule is Dorman, and they are in sixth place because of that schedule.

I didn't look at Dorman, was only looking at the top 3.

According to "uwishucouldplay" Mann was playing JV players in those scrimmages against Dorman and Riverside, I would guess those teams were playing JV players too etc etc. How much value do you put on a scrimmage, especially at the start of a season?

Once you get past those scrimmages then Mann's schedule becomes very weak with the only really tough team being Eastside. Sure Christ Church and Bishop England look good on paper, but they are 2a teams that don't have a lot of quality wins over 4a teams.

On the flip side:
Wando beat Irmo, Blythwood, and Academic Magnet and lost to Hilton Head and Peachtree ridge #7 in Georgia.

Fort Mill beat Blythewood, Academic Magnet (PKs) and lost to Lake Norman #6 in North Carolina.

So when it comes to playing high quality teams Mann probably had the weakest schedule and Wando the hardest. If you ran the Massey rankings today the strength of schedule would probably be Wando, Mann and Fort Mill due to the weakness of Fort Mills region, but both of their schedules will jump due to playoff games.

Finally, let's be honest about the quality of the teams in the state and that once you get past the top teams there is a large drop off.
Top teams being Mann, Wando, Fort Mill, Hilton Head, Eastside and Academic Magnet. Those six teams dominate just about everyone they play and their only losses come from playing one of the other top teams (except Hilton Head who might be having a down year)

And once you get past those six there is a big drop off as shown by goals allowed, Wade Hampton gave up three time as many goals as Fort Mill etc. So in general I would say that games outside that top group probably don't count much in the quality box.

BTW Lake Norman and Peachtree Ridge are kind of wild cards in all of this, but I would say that the 6 best team in North Carolina is probably better than the 6th best team in South Carolina and Lake Norman could probably hold its own against most teams in SC. I don't know about Peachtree since they beat Wando, but lost to BE.

I hope that explain how I came to my conclusion. Of course that doesn't mean that Mann won't run the table, as I have said any of the top three could win it and it wouldn't be a surprise. You don't get to 21-0 by accident
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 05:15 PM
Quote:

You all crack me up with all of your rhetoric. Just play the game. If they meet, we will then see. There are still other teams that would like to make an impact in the playoffs as well.

Hey this is serious stuff!!!

If they can talk about the NFL draft for 5 months we can talk about soccer for a few days right

As for other teams making an impact: doubt it because on the girls side you don't see a lot of upsets. Look at last years playoffs and you will see that the team with the better record won in just about every case (maybe every case I haven't look at all the games)
Quote:

Quote:

The answer to your question is that special permission hasn't played a role in in Mann's team. I know of one player there on special permission. I have no idea about Mann's other teams, but it hasn't played a factor at all with the girl's soccer team. Just so you know, kids are not able to freely switch to Mann. Like many schools, they end up with a wait list. Plus, a player can't simply switch to Mann and play the following year unless they move to that school. Transfer rules apply and the player would need to sit out a season.

Thanks for the response.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/08/14 10:16 PM
Anyone know what the deal is in region 2? Mauldin looks to be the # 4 team but they have 3 less game than everyone else and their region schedule is done. Did the 2 Gaffney and 2nd Byrnes games not happen or were they just not entered? Would guess they were all wins but can not do the Bracketology until the scores are in

Of course Region 3 has its own mess with #2,3,4 all at 9-5 records! Figure that one out, good thing we do not allow ties Cause now we can go to a tie breaker!
Not one player transferred to play soccer. That is not allowed. Mann is a magnet school and they only let in 21 students and none played soccer. Every player is zoned for Mann high school if they are playing soccer.
We are all about to find out next week. There is a lot of soccer left. Does anybody know who will get the Gatorade player of the year? It would have been Savannah McCaskill from Irmo, but she didn't play this year.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 12:59 AM
Sounds like a question for the CESA front office but I guess Wando or Hilton head has a senior or two with three soon maybe four state championship rings who might be up for it. Other than that who knows? you got anyone in mind? Funny they give those thing out before to "end" of the year, what if some player take team to a championship based on great playoffs should they not be player of the year? Yes I know not everyone get in the playoffs but they should still be a factor in picking a player of the year since the regular season play for most teams is a one sided affair game after game.
No one in mind. But you have to admit , who could have beat Stephanie Devita and Chelsea Drennen. Sounds like you have some bad blood, but you can't give me names better than those. Wando gets the State championships by having a club coach and 5000 students to choose from. Mann has 1700 students and a restaurant owner as the coach. Who would you have chose the last 4 years that are better than these girls?
Stephanie was the best period. Still is in her college conference
Posted By: The Chief Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 01:47 AM
Lighten up it was a joke (notice the wink) I have no doubt they deserved it (met the Drennens and they were nice people) My joke is about how anyone could really know given the lopsidedness of soccer in the state (but speaking of bad blood you really do not like Wando do you? and coach bashing to boot! ) Hey Mann went 21-0 right? Maybe they have a player in the mix this year by then it is hard to standout when you are on a very talented team.

Imagine being the goalie for a team that gave up only a couple of goals all year. Mann or FM or Wando could have the best goalie in the state and who would know? Work the other way round for a great goalie on bad team you get shelled every game but who would know how good you are when the score line is 4 or 5 loss every game (but you made 40 stops!)
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 02:19 AM
Quote:

Anyone know what the deal is in region 2? Mauldin looks to be the # 4 team but they have 3 less game than everyone else and their region schedule is done. Did the 2 Gaffney and 2nd Byrnes games not happen or were they just not entered? Would guess they were all wins but can not do the Bracketology until the scores are in

Of course Region 3 has its own mess with #2,3,4 all at 9-5 records! Figure that one out, good thing we do not allow ties Cause now we can go to a tie breaker!

Mauldin played the games, they just aren't entered on Eurosport. Dorman won the region and Wade Hampton came in second by a game. I am not completely sure, but I think Riverside is third and Mauldin fourth. I guess there were a few conference games played tonight, and I don't know if they would have had any affect on the standings.
OK. Sorry. I saw the wink. But last year there was a lot of Cesa bashing over the Gatorade Player of the year. I don't know who deserves it. As far as the coach, your right. At a club game about 3 years ago, we were playing her team. I think u12 and she had her u10 team there watching. It was in Columbia and they were all on the same bus. They were very obnoxious and she did nothing. We won 7 - 0. But it got out of control. On the other hand, I would like to have here Coaching skills up here. It helps Wando for her to coach a lot of the team in high school and club. It is an advantage. Can I have my cake and eat it too? I will share.
Really, I am starting to care less and less about high school and more and more about what is going to happen afterward. That is when the fun is going to begin. Good luck in the playoffs!
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 02:37 AM
I agree that the real fun starts next week.

Especially in rounds 2 and 3. Will be nice to see the top teams playing other top teams for a change. No more 10-0 games after the 1st round too.

Plus the games are more fun to watch.
Posted By: Ramsdad Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 03:24 AM
Just to clear up the Mann question. They do have several girls on the soccer team that got special permission to go there, or are in the magnet program. Also in Greenville county students can transfer and not have to sit out a year if school ADs and principals agree to it.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 03:41 AM
Quote:

Just to clear up the Mann question. They do have several girls on the soccer team that got special permission to go there, or are in the magnet program. Also in Greenville county students can transfer and not have to sit out a year if school ADs and principals agree to it.

Maybe you are right. Mann does have a large roster, and I don't know every girl, so maybe I missed one or two. But, of the ECNL players there are not several players that have special permission. Almost every one of them was zoned for Mann. Maybe someone from Mann knows exactly how many special permission players there are. I don't understand the implication in the first place. Mann isn't good because they recruited these girls. Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school.

Ramsdad, how many is several and of these did they come for soccer or academics?
Posted By: Mia San Mia Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 04:22 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pjay,

I didn't look at Dorman, was only looking at the top 3.

According to "uwishucouldplay" Mann was playing JV players in those scrimmages against Dorman and Riverside, I would guess those teams were playing JV players too etc etc. How much value do you put on a scrimmage, especially at the start of a season?

Once you get past those scrimmages then Mann's schedule becomes very weak with the only really tough team being Eastside. Sure Christ Church and Bishop England look good on paper, but they are 2a teams that don't have a lot of quality wins over 4a teams.

On the flip side:
Wando beat Irmo, Blythwood, and Academic Magnet and lost to Hilton Head and Peachtree ridge #7 in Georgia.

Fort Mill beat Blythewood, Academic Magnet (PKs) and lost to Lake Norman #6 in North Carolina.

So when it comes to playing high quality teams Mann probably had the weakest schedule and Wando the hardest. If you ran the Massey rankings today the strength of schedule would probably be Wando, Mann and Fort Mill due to the weakness of Fort Mills region, but both of their schedules will jump due to playoff games.

Finally, let's be honest about the quality of the teams in the state and that once you get past the top teams there is a large drop off.
Top teams being Mann, Wando, Fort Mill, Hilton Head, Eastside and Academic Magnet. Those six teams dominate just about everyone they play and their only losses come from playing one of the other top teams (except Hilton Head who might be having a down year)

And once you get past those six there is a big drop off as shown by goals allowed, Wade Hampton gave up three time as many goals as Fort Mill etc. So in general I would say that games outside that top group probably don't count much in the quality box.

BTW Lake Norman and Peachtree Ridge are kind of wild cards in all of this, but I would say that the 6 best team in North Carolina is probably better than the 6th best team in South Carolina and Lake Norman could probably hold its own against most teams in SC. I don't know about Peachtree since they beat Wando, but lost to BE.

I hope that explain how I came to my conclusion. Of course that doesn't mean that Mann won't run the table, as I have said any of the top three could win it and it wouldn't be a surprise. You don't get to 21-0 by accident

Final score tonight: Greenville 3 - Eastside 2 (Penalty shootout 5 - 3)
So much for a big drop off... but that's why they play the game
Posted By: Pjay Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 02:28 PM
I am thinking:
1. Maybe Eastside isn't as good as we thought? Lost to Mann 4-0 and beat Dorman 2-1 and Riverside 1-0 and no other victories against top schools.

2. Greenville playing at home in a regional rivalry game probably played above their normal level.

Either way great win for Greenville.
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you are right. Mann does have a large roster, and I don't know every girl, so maybe I missed one or two. But, of the ECNL players there are not several players that have special permission. Almost every one of them was zoned for Mann. Maybe someone from Mann knows exactly how many special permission players there are. I don't understand the implication in the first place. Mann isn't good because they recruited these girls. Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school.

Ramsdad, how many is several and of these did they come for soccer or academics?

Is it none or several kids?
Mann is not a special permission school. They are magnet. Which means you have to apply and wait in line. A outside board selects the students. Its really not complicated. The neighborhoods that consisted of at least 60 % of club players were zoned for Riverside and Mauldin. About seven years ago these neighborhoods were re-zoned for Mann. Thus we have grown from 1100 student to 1740.00 Unfortunately these new students aren't football or basketball players as the record shows. It seems to be all lacross and soccer players.
I was really trying to see if Mann's boom explained the bust at mauldin and riverside. No slight to those teams but they use to be the standard.

No other intent than to understand from me.
Posted By: Fxdwg Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/09/14 09:56 PM
Riverside has a new coach and lost some very, very good players to graduation last year. Mauldin lost at least a couple of players that are playing D1 soccer also. Neither are playing up to recent standards, but I don't think either would be considered a bust
Ramsdad of course you are from Hilcrest and you haven't had a good year. There is not one player with special permission to play soccer for Mann. I just ask my daughter and she said ZERO. Why would you just make that up? Your credibility on here is not very good. Totally stupid on your part. They are a magnet school and every kid on the soccer team is zoned for Mann. Also, you do have to sit out a year if you transfer. You can't leave Christ church and play the next year at Mann or anywhere else for that matter. Do you just dream this stuff up and then write it down.
Mann carries a large roster because they want to. There have been numerous games where all u16 and u17 girls have been gone and not played in the high school game. This allows him to rest the ones that may have played Newberry or PC or North Greenville or Canada with there club team over the weekend or through the week.
Mann was lucky. Last year they had 5 ECNL CESA Freshman that were zoned for Mann join the team. Those 5 along with the other ECNL girls are what has taken Mann to the top. Last year at state, they were only freshman. They will keep getting better.
Just to clear the air, Ramsdad has no idea about what or who is at Mann and for what reasons. This is the perfect quote from It is, what it is:Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school. It is what it is!
Cool. Thanks.
Posted By: Ramsdad Re: Upper State/lLower State predictions - 05/12/14 03:41 AM
Uwishucouldplay. Once again you go off on someone without your facts being correct. I stated Mann had girls on the team that went there with special permission or as part of the magnet program. I know two girls that live in simpsonville in the same neighborhood as a Hillcrest player. I know one went there because her older brother was in the magnet program so she was allowed to go. I was not being negative I was just stating a fact and answering a question someone had asked. Why are you so hateful toward everyone?

Also I think for a team made up mostly of classic and high school prep players Hillcrest has had a pretty good year. They did finish tied for 2nd in the region after all.
Posted By: Bomber The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 11:03 AM
Ramsdad, don't worry about uwishucouldplay, he is just one of those typical Mann parents with what we call "The Mannitude".

It's an arrogant attitude many of them have. They have always felt disrespected, they have always felt they are better than they are.

Many of them are just spoiled and exhibit poor sportsmanship.

I have witnessed it for years.

Now, this year, with the talent they have, Mann should easily win State. They are loaded with incredible talent, and if they do, congratulations to them.

But until they do, they have won and done nothing.

PS- glad to see some bantering on this Board, this thing has been dead all season.
Posted By: whatever Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 11:21 AM
Sorry Bomber. Are you talking about the fans or the players.? I think the sportsmanship awards goes to the teams that lose well.
Posted By: Bomber Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 11:24 AM
Fans.

The players are just good, tough competitors.

I have always had great respect for the Mann players.
Posted By: whatever Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 11:35 AM
You da Mann
Well Ramsdad here is your quote Just to clear up the Mann question. They do have several girls on the soccer team that got special permission to go there. It is just not true. Maybe they play on JV, but not Varsity. The reason for being hateful, was the girls working their rears off and then someone like you tears them down by implying that they are recruiting players to make a better team.
It is just not true.
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 01:07 PM
Bomber, If someone stated that you were recruiting players for soccer, you would be upset too. "the magnitude". Wow that is pretty childest. Have you seen Mann play this year? A couple of post back someone said that the reason that Mann carries a large roster is because they recruit. I don't know about past years and feeling disrespected. Since we have been on the team, they have only lost 2 games, one to Hilton Head and one to Wando. Here is your quote"they have always felt they are better than they are." It is very hard to improve on that.

"But until they do, they have won and done nothing". That is a ridiculous statement.
Posted By: Bomber Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 01:36 PM
First off it's "Mannitude" not "magnitude", so when you try to banter, try to get it right.

And it appears Ramsdad set you straight about Mann players from their own district.

A lot of people think Mann recruits because of what used to occur there years ago in basketball.

It is probably not happening now, but that is a bias Mann will have to overcome.

And last time I checked. Mann has yet to win a State Title.

And again, this should be Mann's year.
Posted By: Pjay Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 03:29 PM
Quote:

Sorry Bomber. Are you talking about the fans or the players.? I think the sportsmanship awards goes to the teams that lose well.

Best sportsmanship I saw all year was the Rock Hill girls.

Game was day before spring break and coach forgot to hold a JV player or two back from playing so the Varsity team had 10 players going against Fort Mill so they had to know they were in for a butt kicking and the girls still played hard and clean and had fun the whole game.

Was the most enjoyable 10-0 game I have ever seen.

At one point we were trying to get one of our seniors (Katie) a goal and they picked up on it and every time she would get near the ball they would start yelling "don't let Katie get it!" And when Katie got pulled near the end they all called out "bye Katie" (Katie still got her goal)

Was really a great show of sportsmanship and great attitudes from a team who could have just given up or worse.
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 07:34 PM
Poor Bomber. Where is your state title? The Mannitude was an automatic spelling correction that was not intended so don't get smart with me. AS far as Ramsdad, he still has produced no evidence. He only has someone like you who doesn't know any better. The only reason I got upset with Ramsdad is that what he was saying was not true so why spread the rumor. NOT one girl is there and suppose to be somewhere else.
Maybe they can win this year or not, but they will be better next year than this year. Remember, Mann just moved up to 4A. They are going to be top 1 or 2 for several years to come.
Posted By: The Chief Re: The "Mannitude" - 05/12/14 07:38 PM
One, two, or several not sure how many or which is true or that it even matters. Maybe the kids choose to go to a magnet school with better classes for them or maybe they choose to go for a better soccer team either way they choose and get to go (if they do, not saying I have any way of know that X number of players are magnet "recruits", or if it 0 "recruits"). What being a magnet school with open "boarders" does is bring this type of "question of unfairness" into play. Seems to make those at these school slightly sensitive to being questioned about whether or not they are getting an unfair advantage over other teams.

In very simple terms yes they are, if just one player who would be on another schools roster is there then they have an advantage. Not the fault of the player, or teammates just the system that lets it happen, and not unlike having a school playing in a division where 3/4 of the schools have less than half the population they have! Again not the fault of the big schools kids it is the fault of the system that lets it happen.

A few years back we had this go around about the fact that Riverside was winning championships at 3A when they were 4A sized and by their own choice stayed down at 3A when school were realigned. Did the girls on that team choose that? No, but they benefitted from a system that allowed it to happen. As I remember they got testy any time it was brought up on here, like it or not it was a fact they did not want to "talk" about. So I can guess/see that Mann would be like wise sensitive to the same type of talk in their case. If it is true they have "magnet" player well then that is unfair, sadly it is most unfair to the Mann girls who will have people question their teams accomplishments because of it. Through no fault of their own they are cast in a shadow of doubt.
Mann's record speaks for itself and they are no doubt a good team, from what I saw of them they play hard (and clean) soccer. I am sure most of them care little for what is said here so hopefully they enjoy their playoffs and I hope we get the chance to see them again.
Posted By: Bomber Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/12/14 08:00 PM
Quote:

Bomber, If someone stated that you were recruiting players for soccer, you would be upset too. "the magnitude". Wow that is pretty childest. Have you seen Mann play this year? A couple of post back someone said that the reason that Mann carries a large roster is because they recruit. I don't know about past years and feeling disrespected. Since we have been on the team, they have only lost 2 games, one to Hilton Head and one to Wando. Here is your quote"they have always felt they are better than they are." It is very hard to improve on that.

"But until they do, they have won and done nothing". That is a ridiculous statement.

Your automatic spell check must be about as smart as you are.

Please tell me what "childest" means?

Thank you.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/12/14 08:16 PM
Children!!! Behave!!!!

Gonna put you both in time out!!!

Seriously... can't we all get along? This is suppose to be a fun place to talk about soccer not a mud slinging contest.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/12/14 08:25 PM
Speaking to what Chief said...

The difference between a good girls team and a great team is usually only a couple of players.

I am guessing that most of the good teams in the state have starting 11's that could hang with a Mann or Wando for a half, but eventually the starters get tired and it's when teams get tired or start using subs that you see the drop off in talent and then the goals start happening.

Seen lots of games that are 1-0 or 2-0 at half turn into 6-0 in the second half as the weaker teams wears out.

Or think of it this way: take two starters of any regional winner and place them on the runner up. How many of those #2 teams would them become #1 teams?
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/12/14 09:28 PM
Bomber and Chief: Just thought you might want to know that we went to Birmingham and have a new player coming in next year and Ms. Mattison will more than likely play next year after taking a recruiting year off. That will replace the couple of seniors that we are losing. Well got to go, off to Florida to find a new goalie since ours just committed to the University of Miami. Really glad that she has another year.
Both of you: Listen Up. Being a magnet school has not changed our line up one slot. Both of you are delusional on how players end up where: what about the people who follow their siblings, what about the people whose mom's teach at that school. It changes every year. Look at Hilcrest, they had Stephanie Devita, but they needed more.
IT IS WHAT IT IS said it best a few pages back. Mann has a good group of girls now, and it will rotate throughout the Upstate every few years. There is know recruiting involved.
Posted By: Bomber Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/12/14 09:59 PM
Dude, I am just having some fun with you.

But really "There is KNOW recruiting involved".

Maybe we can get you in a couple of those Magnet spelling classes.

Come on now, "Mannitude" is a compliment.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 12:51 AM
Quote:

Bomber and Chief: Just thought you might want to know that we went to Birmingham and have a new player coming in next year and Ms. Mattison will more than likely play next year after taking a recruiting year off. That will replace the couple of seniors that we are losing. Well got to go, off to Florida to find a new goalie since ours just committed to the University of Miami. Really glad that she has another year.
Both of you: Listen Up. Being a magnet school has not changed our line up one slot. Both of you are delusional on how players end up where: what about the people who follow their siblings, what about the people whose mom's teach at that school. It changes every year. Look at Hilcrest, they had Stephanie Devita, but they needed more.
IT IS WHAT IT IS said it best a few pages back. Mann has a good group of girls now, and it will rotate throughout the Upstate every few years. There is know recruiting involved.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is as good as your grammar and spell checker are. I paid you a compliment and did you the service of saying it was unfair to blame the girls in any way and went to lengths to point out that the number of or even existence of these players is not the issue but rather the shame is that because of the situation the Mann players will have this suspect cloud over them and deny all you want it will be there because of the magnet situation, which by the way is totally proper by SCHSL rules. Win it all and people will say you used the magnet status, lose and people will say see you cant recruit a championship either way people will hate on for the situation so stop acting like the world is out to get you and accept it is the situation. Your case is not help by The Academic Magnet situation where they draw kids from a huge area, play in the AA level with a 4A class of players, it just puts the whole Magnet thing in a bad light.
As for who signed where wow bragging about your team is cool and all but really.... I will let you know which Medical and Law schools our players graduate from a few years from now, I KNOW you will want to hear about that
Take a breath and smile cause you Know thats funny
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 02:30 AM
Chief. You'll never know who graduates. You would have to come out of that drunken star of mind that your in. If you think your post was funny, then that will probably be along time. Did you think that I was serious about the Miami thing. Why would someone from Miami look for a goalie all the way here in SC. By the way, I thought it was OK to pat our team on the back. Oh well, I have met your star that is going to LSU. Seemed to be a nice girl. I hope she has a good experience. Their coach watched us play the other day. Being a Furman grad, I'm surprised that he doesn't take more from the area. Really Chief, read your post again and think about it. It is not funny.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 02:43 AM
Quote:

Chief. You'll never know who graduates. You would have to come out of that drunken star of mind that your in. If you think your post was funny, then that will probably be along time. Did you think that I was serious about the Miami thing. Why would someone from Miami look for a goalie all the way here in SC. By the way, I thought it was OK to pat our team on the back. Oh well, I have met your star that is going to LSU. Seemed to be a nice girl. I hope she has a good experience. Their coach watched us play the other day. Being a Furman grad, I'm surprised that he doesn't take more from the area. Really Chief, read your post again and think about it. It is not funny.

Apparently Furman does not teach you to read your posts? "star" ??? Ok I get it the spell checker got you again
Why not Miami like you said a girl from SC (2 actually) got to LSU and a few year back one went all the way to KY and another to USNA (that's in MD by the way). Beside it is ok to brag on your team which was what I was joking about, and yes we have girls planning on Med and Law school. Sorry the "KNOW" thing is funny even if you say "NO"
Posted By: Ramsdad Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 04:20 AM
Chief. I thought you were funny, and uwishucouldplay take it easy Mann should win state this year with or without magnet players.

Maybe I'll come watch y'all play in the championship game and I can tell you the story of how Mann tried to recruit Stephanie Devita. Haha just kidding don't go all postal on me. Just trying to have some fun.
Posted By: Bomber The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 10:01 AM
1) Has a chip on his shoulder.

2) Bitterness

3) Takes what one says and turns around to mean what he wants it to.

4) Can't spell or use grammar correctly,
Posted By: jim Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 11:59 AM
Quote:

2) Bitterness

4) Can't spell or use grammer correctly,

grammar
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 02:59 PM
Actually, I lied. She is committed to Miami. I am jealous of her. Oh to be 18 and living in Miami. They will go to every game by charter jet. No buses. We have 5 more committed to ACC and SEC schools. 3 are sophomores. Good luck the rest of the way. My spelling is too bad. I am going to stay off here. As far as Med and Law schools, I would assume that is true with almost every high school and you have no more than anyone else. See Ya!
Bomber, It is grammar not grammer. At least you fixed it, but not before Jim replied to it. So see, mistakes can happen to anyone. Look at your punctuation. You don't have the right to bust on anyone.
Posted By: whatever Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 03:48 PM
Enouf wit the grammur.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 04:10 PM
Was called and told about this thread so just to clear it up. First off the chief is not me. The LSU star that was mentioned in this thread is my daughter not the chiefs and she did not play high school soccer this year because she graduated early and just finished her first semester at LSU.
Posted By: Bomber Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 04:22 PM
Quote:

Bomber, It is grammar not grammer. At least you fixed it, but not before Jim replied to it. So see, mistakes can happen to anyone. Look at your punctuation. You don't have the right to bust on anyone.

Yes, I do make mistakes, but I try to ficks them.
Posted By: Pjay Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 04:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:

2) Bitterness

4) Can't spell or use grammer correctly,

grammar

Posted By: Pjay Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 05:57 PM
Quote:

Actually, I lied. She is committed to Miami. I am jealous of her. Oh to be 18 and living in Miami. They will go to every game by charter jet. No buses. We have 5 more committed to ACC and SEC schools. 3 are sophomores. Good luck the rest of the way. My spelling is too bad. I am going to stay off here. As far as Med and Law schools, I would assume that is true with almost every high school and you have no more than anyone else. See Ya!

I would disagree with the bolded part.

Fort Mill ranks 2nd in the state on the poverty index (AM is 1 and they are a magnet school making FM the least poor non-magnet school in the state)

In order to be the least poor you have to have a lot of wealth and that wealth tends to come from parents with college degrees and those parents tend to have kids who go to college as well. And children of parents with college degrees tend to get advance degrees at a higher rate as well. So in general a well off school will produce a lot more advance degrees than your typical school.

Now I am sure that there are other schools in the state that will produce a large amount of doctors and lawyers etc etc (Wando, Riverside, Chapin etc) but to say that "almost every high school" is wrong.
Posted By: Bomber Problem #5 - 05/13/14 06:34 PM
The Mannitude.
Posted By: The Chief Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 07:07 PM
Thanks for making that clear, and to be sure no one else thinks so I am not the parent of any of the other players mentioned in that post either! They were/are all great players who I got to watch over the years and happen to know where they went and from what I saw from time to time they were all great players who were successful at the next level.
Congrats to her. I met her at Cesa. Seemed well deserving. She does have the older sister that was or is at LSU also, right? That's the girl I met.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 07:18 PM
Does the name Sybil mean anything to you? How many people are sharing that name? Or are they all inside of one head?
Good Luck!
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 07:32 PM
I was trying to be nice, but over the last several post you guys want to keep the feud going. You called that one man and I was being respectful of his daughter. It is really fine with me. Just like I told Bomber, everyone makes mistakes. When I get out of Marshall Pickens, maybe I will come to a game in person.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hey uwishucouldplay - 05/13/14 07:38 PM
I called no one and have no feud to keep going! In fact if you like, send me your ward address and trustee number and I will bake you a cake with a file (rubber for your safety of course) so you can get out and see some games soon! They should be pretty good from here on out!

GLHF!
Posted By: uwishucouldplay Re: Chief of the Kitchen - 05/13/14 07:44 PM
Thanks. I figured you had an apron on.
Posted By: Pjay Re: Chief of the Kitchen - 05/13/14 07:54 PM
Quote:

You just can't quit can you???

Why do I find it hard to believe you are a parent?
Posted By: Bomber Could uwishucouldplay - 05/14/14 06:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You just can't quit can you???

Why do I find it hard to believe you are a parent?

Could uwishucouldplay be the Mann Coach?
Posted By: Pjay Re: Could uwishucouldplay - 05/14/14 07:14 PM
My bet is that it's a player.

Can't imagine a player would throw the coach under bus the way she did nor some of the other comments.
Posted By: Chantman Re: Could uwishucouldplay - 05/14/14 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure she is a Mann/CESA mom. She made a reference as to why she doesn't like Wando's Coach from a youth soccer game 3/4 years ago. That was a game between SCU/MP 98 Elite and CESA 97 Premier (CESA 97 ECNL today). They felt like Champ brought her Wando team to cheer against CESA, not true. There are two sides to every story. My bet is that she was one of those moms.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: The problems with uwishucouldplay - 05/14/14 07:30 PM
sis graduated in december
Posted By: The Chief Re: Could uwishucouldplay - 05/14/14 08:30 PM
My guess is that you are both partly right, and that my Sybil comment is closer to accurate than away from it! Either way does not much matter, she will snipe at the truth and refute anything not to "her" liking with acidic barbs rather than cogent thoughts. Only thing I am fairly sure is that she wasn't recruited to Mann, she ended up there naturally.
Posted By: Bomber That would explain it. - 05/14/14 09:05 PM
You know, I tried to joke with the "guy", but if the guy is a b....errrr female with an attitude?

Yep, that works.
Posted By: whatever Re: That would explain it. - 05/14/14 09:11 PM
I don't seem so bad now.
Posted By: Cajunkid Mann player Suspensions? - 05/15/14 10:51 AM
How many Mann players will be suspended by the SCHSL for leaving the bench and participating in the fight? I believe this is a SC High School League mandatory rule.
Well based on the results of this one I would guess some? (Maybe) Anyone know how this one turned out after all it has only been a few months since it happened?

"The South Carolina High School League is reviewing Friday night's benches-clearing fight during Gaffney's 83-81 overtime win at Boiling Springs and each school expects to get the official word on punishment Tuesday morning.

A significant number of player suspensions on each side is expected based on National Federation Of High Schools rules as well as those by the state governing body.

Gaffney athletic director and head coach Mark Huff said Monday night that he plans to sit 10 varsity players for Tuesday night's game at Mauldin, including stand-outs L.J. Peake and Shaq Davidson. Huff said suspensions of more than one game are likely, although he doesn't know for how many of his players. As a result, for Tuesday night he'll dress just two varsity players as well as seven from jayvee and one freshman.

Boiling Springs sat-out 10 players Monday night in its game against Riverside in order to avoid having to later forfeit the game.

Skip Lax, who handles ejections for the SCHSL, met with officials from both schools Monday morning at the SCHSL offices in Columbia. Lax tells 7 On Your Side they reviewed each team's game film and he also received reports from the game officials on the incident as well as getting each school's side of the story.

Gaffney head coach and athletic director Mark Huff says the video attached to this story was also viewed in the meeting.

Each team's bench cleared Friday when when a shoving incident on the floor triggered a melee. By rule, players leaving the bench were not only ejected from the game but are likely subject to a minimum one-game suspension.

Review of the game video will also likely lead to additional suspensions.

The time element is of importance as Boiling Springs is scheduled to play host to Riverside Monday. Gaffney next plays on Tuesday night at Mauldin.

As a result of Friday night's mass ejections, Gaffney played with just four eligible players after the incident and with three in overtime. Boiling Springs had only five eligible players remaining and was reduced to four when one fouled-out late in overtime.
from wspa.com"
© SC Soccer