SC Soccer
Posted By: Kyle Heise Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/07/04 11:52 PM
Class 3A Quarterfinals
West Florence 5-3 Brookland-Cayce

Bearcats led 2-1 at halftime from the report I received. The defending Class 3A Lower State Champion Knights will face the winner of the Dreher @ Myrtle Beach match on Tuesday in Florence.
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:02 AM
WA 2 v Summerville 1

Wando 1 v James Island 0

lpaf
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:05 AM
LA, your shortest post ever.

Thanks for the quick scores.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:16 AM
Mauldin defeated South Aiken 3-2.
Pretty obvious SA deserved their season long ranking. They only lose one senior. They'll be back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:17 AM
Ft. Mill - 1
Spartanburg - 0
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:19 AM
What about Chapin-Woodruff?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:24 AM
Incorrect Report. WF led 2-1 at halftime and BC responded by tying up the game early in 2nd half.. West Florence quickly rebounded w/ another goal from Adrienna Osorio (hat trick), and one each from Lia Schendel and Brooke Tumblin. I heard a lot of crying about the refs from the visitor's side which happened to end up sitting on the home side. (go figure)
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:27 AM
SW --

Like Friday used to say on Dragnet, "the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

My James Island contingent will be home later and maybe I can speak more to that game then. Very physical and not closely called I heard. WA generally dominated Summerville, scoring the first goal only 2 minutes into the game on a short shot by Bolt in the box beyond the goalie's reach. WA threatened several more times in the first half but did not convert again. Summerville tied things with about a minute to go in the first half to send things into half time 1 - 1. Jordan scored the second goal about midway through the second half and the WA defense withstood several crossing attack from Summerville. On one occasion WA goalie Alecia Brother came out and blocked a shot but fell leaving an open WA net which was brilliantly defended through a couple of close range shots by headers from the back line standing in the box. The game was not terribly physical and the reffing was even handed if a bit arbitrary at times.

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:36 AM
I do not have long to write but the Wando James Island was a very even game. Wando scored in 1st half with intense offensive pressure that resulted in Emily Fortner able to gain possession at the 18 and take it around the goalie with about 10 to play.
There were a lot of bodies flying on both sides of the field. I do believe James Island was looking to draw fouls. I do not think there were any calls one way or the other that had an impact on the game.

Wando's seniors had a look of determination that they will not fold .

James Island has a lot of talent coming back and I expect them to be knocking at the door again in 2005.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BusyGuy:
What about Chapin-Woodruff?

In the first half, Chapin was working hard, wearing down Woodruff's players. The first half was 3-1. In the second half, Woodruff came back to a 3-3 tie. In overtime, chapin scores 2 more goals, but one was offsides. Chapin wins 4-3, and they play on Tuesday.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:59 AM
Any score for Riverside-Eastside?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 02:22 AM
Wando vs. West Ashley
S1 vs. Lapf
East Cooper vs. West Cooper

Folks, we may never be the same after this...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 02:22 AM
Riverside 1 Eastside 0 scored on a PK in overtime

Mann 2 Greenville 1
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 02:36 AM
Congrats to coach Dutcher(sp) and the Lady T-Breds for putting together perhaps the finest season in South Aiken girls soccer history. The Lady T-Breds have a strong history with players such as Laura Wise, who held the girls soccer scoring record for a number of years in the 90s, and a number of other players who haved entered the college ranks: Laura Wise, Abby Vought, Steph Murray, Simone Houdasheldt, Meghan Parker, to name a few. It is so nice to see them finish so strong against a very talented squad! Good luck next year!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 03:13 AM
Incorrect post again about the BC West Florence game. WF was up 1-0 on a pk allowed in the first few minutes made by "A". In the first few minutes of the second half, Emily Logan Setzler got two goals to put BC up 2-1. WF responded with 2 more goals on defensive breakdowns by BC, and then Lia scored the 5th goal. Mallory Phillips scored the 3rd goal for BC. The BC fans didn't have a problem with the refs, they were a bit overcalling, but it was pretty consistent. We sat the home side because the sun is in your eyes on the visitors side. Also what was up with the WF parent flipping off our parents/fans after we scored our 2nd goal to go ahead...not too classy WF.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 03:17 AM
Myrtle Beach 2 Dreher 1

110 mins of a back and forth battle.
MB wins 5-4 pks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 03:47 AM
Great season for SAHS. Congrats to Mauldin for a great game. Hope to see you again next year. As "a fan" indicated, we will be back! Don't think there will be too much trash talking next year. While the one we are losing is strong, the core group will return. Coach Dutcher did a GREAT job and we are glad she is coming back next year! Those of you who don't know her... you will!
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 03:52 AM
The Lady Bearcats of Brookland-Cayce had a great season and one to be very proud of ... The girls return the core of their starting lineup and have an outstanding group of rising juniors that should help B-C challenge in the Lower State the next two years.

Congratulations to the girls on a fine season and Region V Championship ... Kudos to Coach Lauren Eudy and Coach Ken Smith for their superb efforts with these young ladies! [Smile]

My only apology/regret is that WE (the boys) weren't in Florence tonight -- please forgive us girls!!! [Frown]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 04:22 AM
Is that why someone responded w/ a "redneck" comment after the 2nd goal? I laughed about that, sorry [Smile] I was the younger guy (not High School) in the green shirt right below your crowd in the BC section
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 05:57 AM
Down the stretch, I am told, the Wando coach not only subbed at every possible occasion to control the pace of the game but actually stopped play in the last 2 minutes and walked across the field to warn the James Island fans that if they did not stop blowing an "air horn" the center ref would make JI forfeit the game. (Although I have been known to blow a rather obnoxious brass fog horn from time to time in goal scoring celebration I was 20 miles to the west at the WA - Summerville game at the time.) Numerous reliable sources suggest an over-zealous Wando fan had sneaked a Boats-R-Us air horn off his yacht into the game and was the offending party. Where, in the "Laws of the Game" is a coach allowed to interrupt the flow of a match over an alleged air horn violation? Shouldn't the center ref have taken this responsibility? Inquiring minds seek clarification from those in attendance. Thanks in advance...

lpaf
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 05:59 AM
S! --

Did you see or hear anyone using an air horn?

lpaf
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 06:04 AM
Any commentary on the upstate 4A matches would be appreciated.

lpaf
Posted By: DWCCES Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 12:04 PM
From the Greenville News this morning:
Fort Mill 1, Spartanburg 0
Emerald 2, Christ Church 0
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 12:09 PM
LPAF,
I am sorry that you weren't at the game (I hope to someday meet you) and are going on heresay. Your opinion of Coach Ferguson is also legendary. My opinion of DM is about as high so I will try to avoid derogatory comments about coaching if you will.

Wando substituted heavily the whole game. He was substituting starters out as early as the 1st 5 minute mark in the 1st half. Even the Wando parents that I was sitting near were confused as to why so much substituting was going on. Apparently, Wando took to heart the published comments that JI has a lot of depth and in better shape than most teams and was trying to keep legs fresh for the end of the game. It almost got Wando in trouble at about the 15 minute mark in 2nd half as they were at one point with 4 of their 5 senior starters out of the game at same time - including all of the midfield starters. At this point JI made their most dangerous move at scoring all night.

As to the air horns incident, the middle referee stopped the game at the 2 minute mark ad went to both coaches and wanred them that if "HE" heard an air horn again, he was calling the game. Middle referee instructed both coaches to go their fans and warned them and Stella and Scott came over and warned crowd. One of my Wando students said they saw it amongst the body painted JI students who were crowding the rail.

I personally did not see an air horn and crowd was the loudest I have heard all year with hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of fans and students in attendance. An air horn could be mistaken for a final horn from the clock and cause inadvertant stoppage on the field so I can understand the warning.

It was a great crowd for both sides and mutual respect for both teams was shown by all.

I know R1C would love for us to come out swinging, though I am quite well aware that I stand no chance against you! I look forward to the match of the season next Tuesday at Wildcat field.
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 12:39 PM
S! --

Thanks for the airhorn update. You were quite vocal about Coach Ferguson's substituting technique last year and in the 6 Wando games I have watched this year it has certainly continued. He uses it very effectively to limit momentum on the part of the opposing team and give his girls a bit of a breather which he must feel they need. I saw the orange and blue body painted students on television last night, a nice touch for JI and reflective of our more barbaric (ie Braveheart) island culture -- but they appeared to be more naked than clothed. I wonder where they could have hidden that airhorn?

Last year I droned on excessively about Coach Ferguson's 2002 News and Courier quote (after losing Lower State to WA in PK's "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.") but this year I have not even brought it up. He is a very successful coach who employs creative tools to achieve his ends.

lpaf

ps: But if you were looking to give your team a break late in a tight game, having one of your own fans blow a concealed airhorn at the 2 minute mark would be clever, wouldn't it? Just kidding...

pps: Region 7. Best girls' soccer in the state. Look out upstate, here we come...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:51 PM
I went back and cleaned up my 1st post so it made more sense. I was this Board had spell check.
Your memory is too good! I am trying to leave all my negative comments in past as well and so far so good - I hope.

Got to go, Open water training today.

S1.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 01:58 PM
Congrats to Myrtle Beach on their big win over Dreher. It is nice to see a team from this area going so far in playoffs. Just because it couldn't be us(CF) doesn't mean I'm not happy for you guys. Joel, tell everybody Nurin says congratulations.
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 02:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by laplageauxfolles:
Last year I droned on excessively about Coach Ferguson's 2002 News and Courier quote (after losing Lower State to WA in PK's "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.") but this year I have not even brought it up.

Well, the Newsless Courier apparently remembered it, they included a reference to luck in their article this morning:

quote:
Wando girls hang on for 1-0 win

AAAA GIRLS' SOCCER

BY ANDREW MOSIER
Special to The Post and Courier

When two top-rated teams face off in do-or-die circumstances, the game, more often than not, is decided by the brilliance, skill, or the luck of one person. That certainly was the case in Friday night's match between Wando (20-3-1) and James Island (18-4-1) in the third round of the Class AAAA girls' soccer playoffs.

A 16th-minute Emily Fortner goal was all Wando needed to beat James Island 1-0, and advance to the state semi-finals against West Ashley on Tuesday.

Fortner, who had just come on as a substitute, one of the many reserves Warriors' coach Scott Ferguson used to keep his side fresh in their third game since Monday, collected the ball outside the James Island penalty area off a deflected clearance.

She settled the ball with her left foot and turned her marker to the inside and went around her the other way. A slight fake with her head left James Island goalkeeper Cydney Carson badly beaten and Fortner tapped the ball over the line for the score.

The goal woke up the sleeping Trojans offense, which mounted several spirited attacks. Twice from her left flank position Katlyn Chase nearly leveled the score.

Chase, who worked the left flank tirelessly the entire night took the ball from midfield, beat her defender, and launched a left-footed blast on goal that missed the far top corner by less than an inch.

Five minutes later, again she nearly found the back of the net with a hard-driven left-footed shot that Wando keeper Morgan Wright saved diving to her left.

In the second half as James Island played for its life, Wando settled comfortably in the back, repeatedly denying Trojan attackers scoring opportunities. Along with solid play from the back line, Wando never let the injury-riddled James Island midfield gain control of the ball, or the game.

The Warriors' tactic to play back and play up to speedy front-runners who were substituted in on a regular basis nearly resulted in a second goal with 10 minutes remaining.

Carson was forced 30 yards off her line, to clear a ball Kelly McGinty would have otherwise gathered easily and marched toward goal with nothing but green grass in front of her.

Carson was called on again in the waning minutes of the match, deflecting a thunderous McGinty shot over the crossbar.

The win pits Wando against rival West Ashley on Tuesday for Lower State bragging rights and a berth into the state championship Friday.

Despite having lost twice to the Wildcats during the season, the Warriors are confident in their play going into the game on the Wildcats' home field.

Posted By: guardrail22 Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 03:43 PM
late last night - Academic Magnet girls beat Waccamaw - 2-1 I think
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 05:55 PM
S1--I hope you know my intentions are not to instigate and watch a mouthy post/reply battle of wits. I only wish to comfortably sit back in my chair and view this board blossoming with the radiance of many intelligent post. Can you tell I'm doing yard work today?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 08:20 PM
Grumble, grumble, grumble. I was very disappointed in the results of the Riverside- Eastside match. The ref called a PK in the 88th minutes, 8 minutes into the first 10 minute over time period to hand the game to Riverside. The results were not determined by the girls. As fast as the ref blew the whistle, it seemed he was looking for a way to break the deadlock. And the video tape shows that Templar slipped when making a cut on the short dry hard surface grass and had not been tripped or pushed or anything. You have got to let the girls play and unless there is a flagrant disregard for the game or decapitation, PK's are not called in play off games.

Then to say the game "quality kind of goes out the window" and "smashmouthing" (see http://news.greenvilleonline.com/news/sports/hs03 )because a team doesn't roll over and lose 15 to nothing could be considered insulting. I just hope it was an unfortunate choice of words.

Eastside's junior goalie #00 Rankin had some great saves, a total of 8 for the evening. Eastside had 2 shots in the first half, 8 in the second, and 5 in OT to keep the pressure building.

Thank you Eastside Lady Eagles for a great season. Best wishes to the one graduating senior, forward #13 Kacy Culbertson, as you go on to college. Enjoy playing in the North-South soccer game.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 10:04 PM
Congratulation to both teams for a great evening of soccer . Neither team was willing to budge a inch. Both teams looked as if this game was the state championship and both would have been deserving winners.
When the call was made ,I felt that it was a bad, bad time for a touch foul to make such a determination in a OT play-off game . Unfortunately I watched the tape of the play which did cause a sleepless night being the Dad of the only Eastside senior . The tape showed very clearly a cross to #14 and her tripping over her foot . The defender had nothing to do with her fall.Whistle blows ,14 up jumping and clapping . Beam nails the PK .
The second OT was a stall which I am told is good soccer but boring and frustrating. Long kicks out of bounds with no ball girls .And I am sure the CGSA Fusion girls remember the corner stall (especially Meachy)in the 02 Championship game in Greenville.
At the end both teams were competely wiped out. It will be hard to see anyone beating the Riverside girls .
Eastside does return all players except 3 year starter Kacy Culbertson and does have a nice upcoming freshman class.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/08/04 11:48 PM
Wow, the Eastside-Riverside game was what was billed. My beef on the whole deal was that the playoffs didn't rank the teams 1-16 and actually seed the playoffs. This would have had the Eastside-Riverside game for the finals.

The rankings could easily be done by a coaches committee for the upstate teams. Not some arbitrary designation set in the fall. We deserve better!

I know some of the #1's would have been ranked lower but who were they kidding anyway. They knew going in that the Greenville county teams are very strong.

This could have given a team in the 8-9, 7-10 game an opportunity for a win that might not have gotten one in the current format.

Enough rambling.

How do you get it changed though??? Please respond if you know how.... hint Kevin or Kyle.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/09/04 01:52 PM
Become an AD and submit it in their next meeting. I doubt this will happen since it was recently changed. I'm not so sure a bunch of football coaches would listen to the suggestions of this association...but we can try. If by rankings, then how do we determine those unranked?
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/10/04 12:30 AM
olander11 --

Thanks for extensive and colorful coverage of the Eastside games this season. It was, in my opinion, the best ongoing coverage of any girls' soccer team on this site and I enjoyed every post. Hope you're around, o11, to keep us up to date next year.

upstateSC --

"And I am sure the CGSA Fusion girls remember the corner stall (especially Meachy)in the 02 Championship game in Greenville."

What bothered me most about that stalling technique was that it was both perfectly legal and hideously cowardly, in my opinion. Fusion was clearly the second best team on that field on that particular night and the stall was not needed to prove it. The behavior of the GFC Boys team that huddled around that corner of the field and tried to incite the girls to violence was also less than admirable. We were all lucky that Meech Gibbs didn't kill somebody in her attempt to break it up. (Guess I should feel better now, huh? A little 2 year old frustrations released...) Oh well...

lpaf
Posted By: run97 Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/10/04 11:32 AM
this is my first year really being involved in HS soccer, so my opinions may not totally be to your liking, so either get over it now or stop reading. its seemed like few weeks ago WA's "amazing" offense had been a little stopped up, but summervilles game and both wando games have been a showing of the best of it. Bolt and Jordan both seemed very on their game at the Summerville game on Friday. I kno for a fact the WA girls are ready for a battle on Tuesday and i'm sure Wando is too. I'm hoping the WA girls once again "find a way to win". And i'm sure they will.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/10/04 12:09 PM
James Island - Always the bridesmaid, never the bride!
Posted By: mybabybeatyourbaby Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/10/04 08:18 PM
SCsFinest...How can you say that the WA offense is any better then a few weeks ago.?.They only beat SHS 2-1.!.Oh how the mighty have fallen...No 3-PEAT in sight for WA. And the reffing was awful - both ways...He wouldn't have known an off sides if it had bitten him..Z
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/10/04 08:42 PM
Z --

For the offsides, are you talking about the lone Summerville goal where there were two forwards 3 yards offsides just in front of the goalie? If you have watched WA play over the last 2 weeks you will know what SCsFinest it talking about -- the offense is faster, more high quality shots on goal...

lpaf
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Friday Girls Scores (5/7) - 05/11/04 01:53 AM
Are you making that post based soley on score or have you witnessed the debacle yourself?
© SC Soccer