SC Soccer
Thanks!
from 4/6

DF 2 RNE 1 (pks)

DF tied game with no time left in regulation on free kick.
No score in ot.
DF wins in pks
Daniel 10 Seneca 2

Goals Daniel: Blake 2, Becker, Jacher 2, Brown, Adair, Goodstein, R. Boyer 2

Goals Seneca: Nicholson, Goss
Woodruff 7
Chapman 0
Tuesday

Ben Lippen 1
Hammond 0

Goals: M. Rollins (BL)
Tuesday

Wren 6
Westside 0

3-0 with ten minutes left. Hannah Gmerek is subbed out, then comes right back in. As a coach, I only knew that this could not be good;) TL Hanna and Wren are in a deadlock for region I-AAAA title, so all the tie breakers are being aimed at. Good clean game by Wren though. Gmerek had 4 NICE goals!

Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
Wando 6
Berkeley 0

2-0 at half...our girls played with a heckuva lot of heart against at top-notch team tonight until a tired defense gave up four late second-half goals. Wando again proves why you can't show a moment of weakness against a team of their caliber; I'm proud of my girls for their effort against a great team tonight.
Stratford 1
West Ashley 4
Monday
Irmo 1
BC 0

Tuesday
Irmo 6
Chapin 0

Chapindad says with blind refs it could have been closer. Darn those guys in the middle!
Tuesday

Hanna 7
Easley 0
Tuesday

Porter Gaud 5 - Northwoods Academy 1
On Tuesday, 4/10/07 @ Southside

Southside - 3
Broome - 3

Southside wins on PKs 3-1 after a scoreless OT.

Score was 2-1 Southside at halftime. Lauren Hutson scored all 3 goals for Broome. Caroline Moss had 11 saves for Broome.

Officiating was good, with the only major complaint being a yellow card given to #7 from Southside when I think a red was warranted. She could have very easily been given a second yellow for her overly aggressive play.
Gilbert 2
Barnwell 1
Stall 5 Timberland 0
South Aiken 2 Aiken 1 (4-2 pks)
Gilbert has come a long way and Coach Gerth has put in a lot of hard work in building that program.
I went to College with Kelly. She just might be the nicest coach in South Carolina.
Spartanburg- 10
Gaffney- 0
Gilbert deserves their props-I guess. However, looking at their schedule the records of the teams they have played are a total of 19 - 50. The best opponent they faced was North Augusta and they lost 12-2 hmmmm...
Have you ever been to Gilbert? It's not exactly the Soccer Megapolis of Charleston or Columbia.
Well...they have been ranked 2 years in a row which is a long way from where they were in the past. They also made it to the second round in the playoffs last year.
M*A*S*H,

Did Coach Kelly attend Newberry?

How far removed is the Gilbert district from Lexington? Aren't they fairly close?
Hurst66: Gilbert is approximately 8 miles from Lexington. Gilbert has an enrollment of less than 850; North Augusta has an enrollment of more than 1450.

M*A*S*H: I work in Gilbert quite often; very pretty...although as you note it's not a megalopolis in any sense of the word...
Can someone display the poverty index? I'm curious.

Gerth started out as a trainer for the girl's soccer team, but practiced with the team a few times and was asked to pull a sort of double duty. The rest is history.

It should be noted that she was a Lexington brat and I never once held it against her...except when comparing her secondary education to that of our glorius South Aiken High School - home to all that is good.
Back to the scores...

Daniel 10
Berea 1

Daniel goals by Lindner (2), Parker, Ellis, Goodstein, Poole, Becker (2), Holland, Adair.
Berea goal by Francisco?
Woodruff 9
West Oak 0
p&y,

Priceless! That bar napkin has held up well.
How has Stephanie Aaron not scored in Daniel's last two big wins? Is she injured? Any insight NeverPlayed?
Ryan, the Aarons went to England for an extended spring break and are not due back until this weekend (in time for prom!).

PS: Sorry to hear about Dani's injury.
Since Swansea and Gilbert play tonight, lets make a comparison. Poverty Indexes you requested:

Gilbert H.S. - 37.7 Gilbert Middle - 48.7
Swansea H.S. - 61.2 Sandhills Middle - 75.3

Therefore, based on the poverty index, Gilbert's Varsity should win by a score of 1.6 to 0 and the JV should win by a score of 1.5 to 0.

FYI - Since 1995 Swansea's poverty index has doubled. From 2000-2005 Swansea folks paid the highest property taxes in the state-very surprising is it not. I make a six figure salary, have a nice home, and live in Swansea and have paid dearly to live here.
They're going to have to work hard to get that .6 of the ball past the line. Where did you find that information?
http://www.sceoc.com/PDF/AllRatingsPovertyIndex04.htm

I don't know how hard it would be to get a .6 with the knowledge of refs these days.
Bluffton 4 Stall 0
I have the poverty index for all schools in an XLS file—contact me if you want it an i'll email as an attachment
>>[ALLAN] Since 1995 Swansea's poverty index has doubled. From 2000-2005 Swansea folks paid the highest property taxes in the state-very surprising is it not. I make a six figure salary, have a nice home, and live in Swansea and have paid dearly to live here.<<

I'm confused -- I thought it was a known fact that raising taxes automatically increases the affluence of any area.

P.S. If it's any consolation, my taxes on property in Gilbert have doubled in the last few years.

M*A*S*H: I would think that the Gilbert area is going to show a high standard deviation with respect to the poverty index -- a lot of Lake Murray lake front property is in the Gilbert school district.
Seneca 4
BHP 3

The game was just as close as it sounds. In the first half Seneca had the wind and controlled play getting up 4-0 at the half. But in the second half they couldn't get the ball out of the zone and BHP hit a couple well placed shots. The last goal coming with 5 minutes remaining to make the end of the game quite exciting for all those who attended. I think BHP has improved quite a bit since the earlier match this season and will be a much tougher team next year since they have NO SENIORS!!! I'm glad we don't have to see them again anytime soon because it became a very physical and aggressive match.
Barnwell 6
Pelion 0
Chico,
Grasshopper, you are so easily confused. Known facts? Are you educated? I am starting to think you know nothing at all. If you own no land, you owe no property tax. No house-even less (renting a mobile home). MMM...Higher Taxes would that encourage you to move to Swansea? I have a sister in Lexington with a bigger, nicer house paying less taxes. Where would you move to? Swansea with a mobile home next door or a lexington white picket fense neighorhood. I.E.-Corridor of shame: we were a very poor district (and still are) the parents have foot the bill to have great operating facitilites. One of my younger buddies in swansea-a swansea grad.-lives here and is a multi-millionaire. And by the way, a schools poverty index is based on the number of students on free and reduced lunch! No standard of deviation here! And Gilbert does not have their own school district, like Swansea, it is all Lexington 1-Big tax base difference.
Isn't it convenient for Gilbert kids to play club ball in Lexington?

A few years a go, my son's best friend moved from a nice lakefront house in the Fort Mill School District, to a newly-constructed 3,500+ square foot house in Gilbert. I take it they are the exception, rather than the norm?
ALLAN: I have absolutely no education and am very easily confused! However, the standard of deviation would revolve around the fact that there are very, very affluent areas of the areas that Gilbert pulls from (e.g., Lake Murray communities) and very, very less affluent areas.) Thus the need for assistance, which tends to be heavily correlated with income, would be very low in areas with $1M+ homes and very high in areas with mobile homes.

Hurst66: If they're on Lake Murray, then they're probably the norm; otherwise they'd probably be the exception -- Gilbert tends to be pretty rural.

Regarding the Lexington question, LCSC (the Lexington select club) can best be thought of as a collection of teams held together by a loose organizational entity known as a "club." The two Lexington recreation clubs are separate. Lexington doesn't tend to "pull" players in the numbers that some other clubs do. As I've noted in other, club-related threads, Lexington is one of the greatest relatively untapped resource in terms of youth soccer around.
My point exactly, based on PI 37.7 to 61.3, Gilbert has many more affluent folks with students in school.
He's not on Lake Murray but the family has about 20 rural acres.

They went from Lakefront to Pondfront.

I still think Gilbert HS can build a nice little program if they can get these kids to play in Lex.
Chico, I'm not sure about the whole pulling numbers bit, but they have about 400 members. Might be wrong, but that is what I have come to understand.
Allan, I'm confused by the numbers...75.3 for the middle school and then it goes down to 61 for the High School? Something doesn't make sense because Sandhills is the only feeder school into Swansea High.
The Fan—

The PI drop from middle school to high school along with a JUMP in test scores is COMMON and expected. Why?

Drop outs.

This is when students can/do drop out. Who drops out of school? The less affluent who score lower on standardized testing. Drop out rates in SC approach 50% throughout the state—much higher in high poverty areas, much lower in affluent areas.

For example, elementary schools with PI's in the mid-80s and above, middle schools with PI's in the mid-60s and above, and high schools with mid-40 PI's and above all tend to be failing schools. Notice the drop in the correlation?
>>[The Fan] pulling numbers bit<<

Sorry...all I meant was that LCSC doesn't seem to me to pull the number of players from surrounding areas to the degree that the other larger clubs do (e.g., CUFC (before that CSC and NECSA), MPSC, CESA, Bridge, etc.) I was simply trying to respond to the comment about Gilbert and kids going to LCSC to play. Heck -- Swansea now has a small select club.
Thanks p&y. I didn't think about that but it makes sense. Unfortunate though.
It's all good Chico. LCSC club sometimes doesn't get the respect that they have earned. LLSC, the small club in Swansea, is basically a female club. They have tried to get male teams but have not had any success in that venture. That hurts the high school boys program and that is unfortunate because they have a great coach.
P&Y is absolutely correct!
4/13
Airport 2
BC 1
Friday

Ben Lippen defeated Augusta Christian
Mauldin- 5
Gaffney- 0
At Matthews (Charlotte), NC

Fort Mill 1
Butler 1

Butler came in 9-5 in NC 4A. Fort Mill's been on spring break all week, missing a few starters, looked a bit slow.
MB 3
NMB 0
Lexington 3
North Augusta 0

P.S. realmccoy, watch out you are being "less than humble" about your tie with Butler. No whining allowed (tic).
JV:
Swansea 3
Gilbert 0

Varsity:
Swansea 3 actually 4*
Gilbert 4

*Swansea scored the game tieing goal with ten seconds left on a continuous clock and yep you guessed it, the ref said time was out (no stoppage time was added, the clock never stopped after goals, and there was still ten seconds left on the clock-amazing). Irmo knows my pain from the stands. I guess you could say from my earlier posts that the ref gave a .6 goal advantage. Here is irony, the refs name was Innocent-seriously. Not to mention, he was 20 minutes late. Oh the struggles of being a parent!
Wando 1
Stratford 0
Re: "less than humble"

It was late, too much cheap beer, the sun was in my eyes, the wind was against me...I throw myself on the mercy of the message board!!
4/10

Pendleton 0
Southside Christian 2

4/12

Walhalla 1
Pendleton 0

On a side note: I've got a data analysis project to do this weekend and thought, ah, let me get online and check out some high school soccer first! Who knew I could do both at the same time. That website with the poverty index will be a big help, thanks Allan!
Boiling Springs 0
Dorman 9
realmccoy, you are beating a dead horse. The wildcats have a monopoly on that market so don't try and wrestle it away from them!
How did the Stratford/Wando game go? The score indicates a pretty close match...
4/14/07

James Island at BE

BE 2
JI 0
I wasn't at the Wando/Stratford game, but the only details I have is the Wando GK broke her nose on the face of a Stratford player (both going for the ball)and the Stratford player also had a bloody face (hope they are both OK) and that the Wando performance was so poor, they have practice at 7 am Monday morning and their regular practice after school. It was also a prom weekend for Wando.
soccer05: Oh my...thanks for the update; sounds like quite the bloodbath.

P.S. Summerville 4, West Ashley 1
Aiken 5 White Knoll 1
Anyone consider the possibility that instead of Wando playing "so poorly," maybe Stratford actually stepped up and played that well? Why is it that nobody gives the underdog team credit for playing hard and making a highly-ranked team work for the win, instead of talking about how badly the ranked team must have played if they couldn't just walk all over them? Stratford's got skills and they play with a lot of enthusiasm and heart...give 'em a little credit for making their presence known.
From Friday 4/13

Christ Church 3
Gville Tech 0
Coach Chass - My assumption was that Stratford had stepped it up and that when someone posted the 1-0 score w/o commentary, they were just being modest.
Not having been there, and based on what Soccer05 reported hearing, one can safely assume that regardless of how well Stratford played, Wando's coach was dissappointed enough to apparently call an extra practice.
We know players on both teams - thus my initial curiousity. If my daughter's team hadn't also been playing that night, we would've gone to watch.
Coach Chass, my post was in no way an insult to Stratford nor an assumption that Stratford did not play well. I noted at the beginning of my post that I was not there. I believe Coach Champ is the best judge of how her team played. If it was merely Stratford playing a great game, I doubt practice would've been called this morning. By the way, Wando did not go into the game thinking they would "walk all over them". Maybe you expect Wando to come in and "walk all over you", but that is not Wando' attitude.
No insult to Wando's attitude at all...as I've stated before, they've always been an impressively sportsmanlike team. I just think Stratford deserves a "good job" for playing that close to a great team...credit where credit is due. As for expecting Wando to "walk all over" us, that's never my expectation. I've never seen or heard anything unsportsmanlike or derogatory directed at me or my team from anyone on the Wando team or staff, and I've publicly complimented them (and will, here, again) on being a class act. Sometimes supporters, though, seem to expect a blood-letting. All I'm saying is, let's balance the equation by giving as much credit to the team who stepped up as we give criticism to the team who may have played down.
I attended the Wando Stratford game. The Stratford team should be comended for a hard fought and very gutty performance. The progression of this team over the past 3 years has been far and above the rest of the high school teams in the area. Congratulations to the Stratford Lady Nights staff for a job well done.

Friday Nights game was shakey at the start for Wando with a few defensive lapses and what appeared to be an underestimation of the speed of the Stratford players. There was a collision early on in the first half between the Wando keeper and a Stratford forward. From where I was seated it looked to be a clean play as the Wando keeper and the Stratford Forward met at the ball almost simultaneously at full speed. The collision was very hard resulting in a bloody nose for the Wando keeper and what appeared to be a fairly severe contusion under the eye of the Stratford player (stiches required I am sure). Wando's keeper returned to the game after receiving medical care and a change of jerseys. Wando took control of the game offensively with some nice passing and possession but was unable to tally in the first half. The second half was more of the same with the Stratford keeper making some exceptional saves, She played a great game and should be comended as she held tight to each shot not giving up rebound opportunities. Wando finally stuffed one in the net off an initial shot by Mia Sprowles not sure if it was deflected in or not.

Wando did not play poorly IMHO, as they created many scoring opportunities. While the finishing was not clinical you have to give high praise to the Stratford keeper and her defensive teammates. Good luck to Stratford with the remainder of their season.

I will appologize in advance for any gramatical errors as I am obviously not a literary scholar. So go easy on me Coach Chass!!! LOL
T.L. Hanna 5
AAA #9 Stephens County 1
MRoss, nice writeup...I'm not grading this one on mechanics! Looking forward to seeing Stratford again next Tuesday!
© SC Soccer