SC Soccer
Posted By: Coach Young Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 02:07 AM
South Aiken alum Ryan Roseberry brought his Lady Rams down to the stomping grounds for a scrimmage against the Lady T-Breds. The teams played three 25 minute periods with SA netting twice in the first period, both teams blank in the second, and a T-Bred goal in extra time in the last period to finish up a 3-0 game. Westside was down in numbers due to various reasons, yet held their own in this away match. Despite a young team, the Lady Rams showed poise and pace with potential to make another playoff run for the young program.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 12:52 PM
Probably just a case of the South Aiken coach knowing his opponent all too well from his days at Radio High.

Poor RR & the Lady Rams never had a fair chance.
Posted By: Ruler of the Pitch Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 12:52 PM
W&E

This is my 50th post, and I know how much that matters to the big dogs like you. Question, am I eligible to "threadjack" this thread, or do I need another 50?????

Seriously, congrats. Looks like a good week of scrimmage games.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 01:19 PM
Haha, thanks very much and threadjack away! Girls worked hard with a week of practice and a completely new system being put in. RR's mother and wife were in the stands and I did my best to win 19-0 and force them to disown the man, but his girls would not play along. I think they'll take that #4 spot this year.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 01:19 PM
JV Swansea-7 Lugoff-Elgin-0

Varsity Swansea-11 Lugoff-Elgin-0
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 02:39 PM
To Coach Young and the SA girls,

Thanks for giving an alumni a chance to come back to hallowed grounds! The Lady T-Breds looked good in their
3-0 defeat of my Westside girls. South Aiken has a young, talented squad that plays in a much tougher region than the gentle confines of the Upstate's Region I-AAAA. I wouldn't want to be staring down Lex, Irmo, Aiken, and NA, trying to figure out where I fit in, but I'm sure Mike will have the girls ready in his first year.

Of note, Regions I-AAAA and IV-AAAA are paired up in the first round of the class 4A playoffs this season, so coach Young could be looking at a rematch with his ex-Lady Yellow Jackets of TL Hanna or rivals the Wren Hurricanes, which would make for a must see first round game. It cannot have happened too often that a coach leaves a school only to face them again in the 1st Round of the playoffs the very next year!

Best of luck,

Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/12/08 05:01 PM
Big day today:

Aiken vs Blythewood
AM and Summerville
Airport and Lexington
Byrnes and Mann
Dreher and HHall
Greenville and Wren
CC and Gilbert
SV and NW
TLH and Riverside
Posted By: R Johnson Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:01 AM
Aiken 3 Blythewood 0
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:25 AM
...and the city of Aiken celebrates!
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:29 AM
eh.. their coach is a jerk..

Posted By: CoachMorris Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:34 AM
Lexington 4 Airport 3

Great scrimmage by both teams.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:47 AM
Quote:

eh.. their coach is a jerk..

Oh, he got his!

Congrats to Coach Morris for fighting the upperstate favorite to a close match and giving some of us a glimmer of hope to do the same.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 03:45 AM
Clover 3
Grace Academy (NC) 1
Posted By: CJ Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 03:47 AM
Riverside 2 Hanna 1

This was a strange one because Riverside was missing Sarah Jacobs and Hanna was missing their coach. My mother is terminally ill and I am in Ga with her and Coach Dick Smith and my assistants covered for me tonight. I don't know many details yet, but it appears the match was pretty evenly matched with Riverside's first goal coming from the outside and their second came on a corner kick in the second half. Caitlin Robinson scored a late goal on a break away to close the margin to 1. I probably owe Terry a thank you for taking it easy on me in my absence, but I am proud of our effort tonight.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 03:54 AM
My regards to you and your family.
Posted By: formerhscoach Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 11:22 AM
Christ Church 4
Gilbert 0
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 12:03 PM
2-1 is heck of a lot better than 5-2!!! Congrats Coach to you and the girls!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 12:34 PM
OE,

Continue taking care of what is important, I'm sure your girls are in great hands and they'll be fine. I'm thinking of you up here and hope to see you at Spring Valley next weekend.
Posted By: Cesar Robles Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 01:39 PM
Spring Valley 3
Northwestern 0
Posted By: CoachMorris Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 02:02 PM
For those that have pm'ed me for a game report, here it is:

Lexington scored 4 goals, Airport scored 3 goals. Thus Lexington won the scrimmage. A good scrimmage for both teams.

For a more detailed report, I will let truefan and or Chico give their game reports.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/13/08 03:55 PM
Any score on Summerville and A.M.?
Posted By: CJ Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 12:52 AM
Thank you Hurst...and Jack...and WE. I do appreciate the brotherhood of soccer guys here.
Posted By: CJ Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 12:55 AM
Cantona,
I look forward to our trip up to your place Friday. But tell me, is Steve's team really as good as I am hearing? Are they a threat to keep the Viking Cup in Spring Valley?
Posted By: Coach J Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 01:27 AM
WA 2 Ridge View 0 Played Tue at WA
Posted By: mavsupporter Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 02:15 AM
Mauldin 4 Greenwood 0
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 02:46 PM
Quote:

For those that have pm'ed me for a game report, here it is:

Lexington scored 4 goals, Airport scored 3 goals. Thus Lexington won the scrimmage. A good scrimmage for both teams.

For a more detailed report, I will let truefan and or Chico give their game reports.

Coach Morris: I'm sorry for the delay; I'm hoping to be able to spend more time on the message board in the near future.

I'm not smart enough to be able to write game reports on scrimmages. For me, it's like watching two people competing with one playing Scrabble and the other playing chess. ( To use a more apt metaphor, it's like the NFL preseason.) The goals and motivations of the two coaches (and even players) can be incredibly different. For example, it's difficult to tell whether all of the goals scored by a team were on the second-string players -- heck, it's difficult to tell how many minutes the first-team players get for both teams -- and not only the coaching objectives of preseason competition come into play but also the depth of the bench, the player evaluation process, and other issues.

This is the reason that I said on another thread that this was "just scrimmages" when someone noted Lexington and Irmo scrimmage results.

I did hear that Airport did a superb job with respect to intensity, both on the players' part as well as the crowd -- and were wonderful hosts.
Posted By: Cesar Robles Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 03:27 PM
emotions

Valley is always a strong team and one to look out for. I'm sure they will make a strong run in this years Viking Cup.

As far as Friday night goes,we are also looking forward to the match. I hope we can give a decent match.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 03:34 PM
I've heard of coaches that use scrimmage performances to make cuts. Personally, they help me to establish playing time, versatility, and pecking order.
Posted By: M Allen Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 04:12 PM
I agree...I use scrimmages to see who fits where...and deserves the most playing time. A lot of times you will have players that amaze you in practice but you put them in the game situation and they just get lost. I like to use scrimmages to determine my game players, because sometimes practice is not enough.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 04:14 PM
Very true. Sometimes players just get results in games more so than practice as well. My two leading up to the VKC are evaulating scrimmages. After the VKC it becomes fine tuning.
Posted By: beachfan Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 04:44 PM
Chico & W&E - I witnessed what you stated on Monday night. I watched James Island & Academic Magnet in a scrimmage. It was 0-0 at half with each team having a couple of scoring opportunities, but overall it was a well-played half. Academic Magent was leading 2-1 with 10 minutes to play, and subbed in what appeared to be their JV team (they dressed 30 girls for the scrimmage & it appeared all played). James Island moved players around most of the match to get a look at different combinations. Final score was 4 to 2 - James Island. Obviously, this was 2 coaches looking to achieve different things from the scrimmage.
Posted By: CJ Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 06:03 PM
so you are using our scrimmage the Friday before the reg season starts as a fine tuning of your team?

I thought you were coming for the homecoming parade in your honor that afternoon.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/14/08 06:17 PM
I love that place and love those people...but I know they'd beat me 198-0 if they could! I'll attend the ceremonies if I can chose your players and positions for the first half
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 02:39 AM
Woodruff 0
Spartanburg 0

Good draw for WHS girls—SHS had several out with the flu—
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 02:56 PM
Woodruff will be tough thru their bracket again this year. You have to love a AA school who schedules AAAA schools for their warm up matches. Both of these teams will do well.
Posted By: fat guy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:00 PM
Anybody know what players were sick
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:04 PM
...in a little coat?
Posted By: fat guy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:15 PM
...And a hat. Ask a simple question
Posted By: OneSoccerFan Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:27 PM
King Tut - a few weeks ago you asked about correlations between successful high school programs and kids playing club soccer. If you do a little digging you'll find that Woodruff and SHS both have a lot of girls playing at the challenge level during club soccer. I believe most of them play for either CESA or CFC.
Posted By: fat guy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:43 PM
Yes woodruff varsity has 2. 1 plays for CESA and 1 plays for CFC ,and thier both freshman
Posted By: Obadiah 15 Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:45 PM
I agree that both school's programs are loaded with club players. SHS is a blend of several clubs, but in the case of Woodruff I think you are mistaken with regards to the primary club / level that the majority of the girls are receiving their training at. I believe a significant percentage of these girls train with USA. It's not simply so much the club(s) the girls train at, but the fact that they are dedicated enough to engage in the competitive training environment outside of the high school season.

Still, excellent programs at both schools. Good players, great coaches, and bright outlooks for the future.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 03:59 PM
Congrats to both teams, they will win many games between them. Both schools have good coaches and great kids. On one post it was asked where is the toughest place to play. I believe Hurst said whoever plays Northwestern boys... Anybody playing in the AA bracket probably will say it is really Woodruff............
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 05:08 PM
Yes, WHS girls are predominantly at USA, with the two other clubs noted for one girl each, I believe—

The BIG difference over the past decade has been the willingness of the girls to play year-round—Made a tremendous difference. . .
Posted By: fat guy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 05:09 PM
Just responding to one soccer fan about the several challenge level players at WHS.
USA is a great club , and has helped WHS soccer a great deal.
I believe this is the first season that they are going to have challenge level teams though. And mostly at the younger age groups.
I agree good players, great coaches and a bright future for both schools
Posted By: OneSoccerFan Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 05:40 PM
Hey "fat guy". I did a quick check on the SCYSA website and could only find one USA team playing in the challenge league (u13 girls). You said "teams" - which teams did I miss?
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 05:59 PM
Hey, OneSoccerFan, YOUR agenda is showing.....
Don't hate the player hate the game, yours in soccer
Posted By: fat guy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 06:13 PM
I only know of one.I didn't want to leave anybody out.
It's to easy to hurt one's feelings on here
Posted By: OneSoccerFan Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 06:33 PM
King Tut, what are you talking about? Agenda? Care to explain? Seems like you're quick to jump to conclusions.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 06:44 PM
sensitive aren't we... quick yes, but that does not mean in speed... everyone read OneSoccerFan's past posts and his agenda will reveal itself. You are as transparent as glass!

And to personalize it, you said most of the kids at Woodruff played at CFC or Cesa... Cat's Cradel verified two... where did you go to college? I want to know so I can save the tuition money for a place that teachs 2 of 18 = most!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spider monkey guy get him, Pretty please Yours in soccer
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 06:57 PM
Wow. This is getting weird...
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 06:57 PM
did you read them?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 07:37 PM
He ask a lot of questions about USA club, their tourney, talks about Gaffney boxing it in, Dorman boys being inconsistant, and a botched tourney. You are a coach as you've already stated so elaborate on where he is having his agenda. I'm just not in the loop as well as you are...but want to be.
Posted By: Meredith Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 07:45 PM
Weird is right! Talk about getting their feathers ruffled.
I thought this was the scrimmage post. Ugh... more high-jacking! Take it to the pm, please.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/15/08 07:55 PM
NW vs TLH tonight
SA vs Lakeside (GA)
SV vs Dreher
******Summerville vs Dutch Fork******
Posted By: FlaTarHeel Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 01:37 AM
From what I heard on the bus trip home, it was Dutch Fork 3, Summerville -0-.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 02:17 AM
Spring Valley - 2
Dreher - 0
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 02:20 AM
West Ashley 3
Berkeley 0

A fun game to play--thanks to my West Ashley folks for a great scrimmage!

(Hey, check it out--a real, on-topic post from me with no trapdoors or spider monkeys!)
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 02:56 AM
1A/2A #3 Southside Christian 2
Westside 0

South Aiken 2
GA 4A #14 Lakeside (GA) 4

Both games had 2-0 half-time scores in favor of the winning side.
Posted By: M Morabito Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 03:02 AM
DF v Summerville at Summerville

DF 3 S'ville 0
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/16/08 03:12 AM
Byrnes 0 - JL Mann 3 (Tuesday)

Byrnes 3 - Eastside 3 (Friday)
Posted By: M Allen Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/17/08 02:19 PM
Barnwell 3
Strom Thurmond 1
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/17/08 04:01 PM
The Dutch Fork Express continues to roll along.....
Posted By: Crash-N-Burn Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/18/08 02:07 AM
Friday night.

T.L. Hanna 4

Northwestern 0

TLH controlled the match from the beginning.
Posted By: Hank Deer Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/18/08 10:55 PM
Wando - 1

North Augusta - 0

At Wando
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/18/08 11:23 PM
Region 4 is looking tough, Hank!
Posted By: CJ Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/19/08 11:27 AM
You better watch out W&E, I would hate for you to miss out on the playoffs after that "Better looking than Cesar Robles" comment!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/19/08 12:18 PM
Hehehehe, the pressure I'm facing is nothing compared to a guy I know

2-1 in the VC buddy!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/19/08 04:31 PM
Dorman vs Irmo anybody?
Posted By: CoachMorris Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/19/08 05:20 PM
Irmo 2 Dorman 1
Posted By: realmccoy Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/20/08 01:46 AM
Fort Mill 3
Marvin Ridge (NC) 1

1-1 at the half. A spirited second half. Goals by Abbie McDonald and Taylor Parker.
Posted By: Predator Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/21/08 11:35 PM
Socastee Girls beat St James 2-0, Conway 5-0 and NMB (score?)
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/22/08 01:39 AM
Predator, how about sending in a full schedule for Socastee or St. James? Thanks!
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/23/08 02:43 AM
Wed

Woodruff 3
Greenwood 0

Fri

Woodruff 5
BHP 0
Posted By: sancho Re: Week 2 Scrimmage Scores - 02/24/08 02:01 PM

1.General Rules
c. No match may end in a tie.
Page 39.
© SC Soccer