SC Soccer
Posted By: chelseafan5 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/09/08 05:36 PM
I know that each region has its own way of determining tie breakers but what are they for each region.
Posted By: Red Card Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/10/08 01:11 AM
Last year it was determined by goal differential. I'm not sure if it is the same..
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/10/08 01:17 AM
Quote:

Last year it was determined by goal differential. I'm not sure if it is the same..

Which region?
Posted By: chelseafan5 Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/10/08 02:01 AM
yeah what region because as stated in the schsl rules: each region determines its own tiebreakers. so what are the tiebreakers for each region?
Posted By: Red Card Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 02:29 AM
A C Flora and Dreher both had one loss to each other and Dreher ended up being number 1 because of goal differential.
Posted By: Coach J Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 10:53 AM
To find out for your region you need to ask your AD for a copy. Every region is diffrent.
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:01 AM
Quote:

A C Flora and Dreher both had one loss to each other and Dreher ended up being number 1 because of goal differential.

I thought Dreher got the top seed based on having a better non-region record than Flora. My understanding is that most high school regions use the same tie breakers for all sports. I didn't think they used sport-specific tie-breakers like goal differential.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:17 AM
Region 1 uses differential for soccer, but not football.
Posted By: live and learn Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:22 AM
Last year in 3A, Region III (Dreher and AC Flora were tied with same region records) the tie-breaker was:
1. head to head (which was split)
2. goal differential in the two head to heads (which was even)
3. goal differential (max of 3) amongst other region results, which Dreher had the better of.

Thus Dreher was the #1 seed from Region 3 last year.

I think after tie-breaker #3 it went to a coin flip. It never did go to an out-of-region record.
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:35 AM
Glad to hear that some regions are using soccer related criteria.
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:38 AM
Quote:

In gridiron football, two teams usually only play once per season so head-to-head usually takes care of that.
Posted By: live and learn Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:46 AM
Quote:

Last year in 3A, Region III (Dreher and AC Flora were tied with same region records) the tie-breaker was:
1. head to head (which was split)
2. goal differential in the two head to heads (which was even)
3. goal differential (max of 3) amongst other region results, which Dreher had the better of.

Thus Dreher was the #1 seed from Region 3 last year.

I think after tie-breaker #3 it went to a coin flip. It never did go to an out-of-region record.

Correction: There was a #4, which was overall record (not counting tournament games).
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 11:49 AM
Quote:

Correction: There was a #4, which was overall record (not counting tournament games).

Which is effectively the same as non-region games (not counting tournaments)
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 12:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

In gridiron football, two teams usually only play once per season so head-to-head usually takes care of that.

Westside beat Greenwood who beat Hanna who beat Westside. Head to head did not take care of that.
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 12:19 PM
"...so head-to-head usually takes care of that."
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 12:50 PM
...unless it doesn't.
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 01:21 PM
Quote:

...unless it doesn't.

...which is unusual.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 01:21 PM
Quote:

I was using "usually" in its connotation meaning "most of the time, but not always." So my originally statement is not conflicted by your example.

We are not debating probability, but scenarios. That was the "originally" topic.
Posted By: Ruler of the Pitch Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 03:23 PM
DJ

Since when have you ever stayed on the "original" topic?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 03:23 PM
Ahhhh, so true!!!
Posted By: CJ Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 05:00 PM
Last year region 1 broke the tie between Wren and Hanna by number of posts on SCSOCCER.COM
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 05:06 PM
Wren got OWNED!!!
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/17/08 05:27 PM
CJ, are you serious? I gotta get to work!
Posted By: M Morabito Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/18/08 04:17 PM
The AAAA conference directs that each region will determine its own method for declaring Region Champions and all other region places for playoff situations. The following rules will apply in determining Region V AAAA places in all team sports that are applicable.

Each team in the region must play each other member of the region that fields a team in that sport. Volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball and soccer will require the region teams to play each other twice. In the event that any school refuses to play any other school in the same region, that school becomes ineligible for any playoff berth and forfeits to all other teams for the purpose of declaring champions and at-large teams.

The region regular season winner will be declared Region Champion based upon the best region won/lost record except cross country, golf and cheerleading where the Region Champion and other places are determined by the Region Tournament. In the event of a tie for the regular season winner (or for any place), the following will be used to break a tie.

If two (2) teams are tied, the head to head winner will be declared Region Champion. If the teams split their head to head match-up, the unit system will be used. In the case of a tie involving more than two teams, the team with the best record of the games involved amongst those tied teams will be seeded first. The two teams remaining will go to step 2C to break the tie between them. (Example: Team A split with Team B and beat Team C in all contests. Team A is seeded and Team B and Team C will then go to the Unit System). If the above method does not break a tie, the Unit System will be used to determine places. ALL games played will be included in this process, not just those games played within the tied teams.

If the teams split their head to head match-up, the unit system will be used to determine the Champion or any other place.

UNIT SYSTEM
A win over the 1st place team = 5 points
A win over the 2nd place team= 4 points
A win over the 3rd place team= 3 points
A win over the 4th place team= 2 points
A win over the 5th place team= 1 point
If more than two teams tie, points will be the average of the tied teams

If the Unit System does not break the tie, the following Region Point System will be used
AAAA Win=4 Loss=3
AAA Win=3 Loss=2
AA Win=2 Loss=1
A Win=1 Loss=0
Posted By: Coach P Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/18/08 04:28 PM
Am I understanding this correctly? You get points for losses? So if the Unit System does not break the tie, a loss to a AAAA team counts as much as a win over a AAA team?

Also, what is "step 2C"?
Posted By: M Morabito Re: 4A Region Tie breakers - 04/18/08 05:33 PM
Not sure what step 2c is either, but this is what I received. It looks like you are not rewarded for victory over a strong 3A team but rewarded for a victory over a weak 4A.
© SC Soccer