SC Soccer
Posted By: cindylou Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/23/08 02:47 PM
I just wanted to say how much Blue Ridge High Girl's soccer has improved. They lost to Eastide high 2-1. But for thie first time ever Blue Ridge scored against Eastside. Senior Erin Raffaldt scored the goal. I'm just glad they are moving forward .
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/23/08 02:56 PM
Cindylou,
How many club players does Blue Ridge currently have? To make such an improvement in a 1 year span, there must be a stronger influx than in years past. I think it was 4 years ago that I took my Westside girls to Blue Ridge (beautiful drive by the way, I had no idea where exactly the school was when I scheduled the match) and won 3-2 in a hard fought, but fairly low skilled on both sides preseason scrimmage. I doubt either team had any club players at that point, but it is always exciting to read about a program on the upswing because you know how excited the girls must be!

Congrats,
Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
We have three. Marissa Sumwalt plays CESA Challenge, Caitlin Fountain plays Foothills Challenge, and Erin Raffaldt played Foothills Classic last year but has played Challenge and even Premier I believe.

Actually, the first coach at Blue Ridge pointed out to me that about 6 or 7 years ago we scored on Eastside - 1 goal. He quickly pointed out that Eastside was way up and had about 6-7 players on the field when we scored.

At least we can play 11 every game now.

Thanks for the comments, cindylou!
Quote:

I just wanted to say how much Blue Ridge High Girl's soccer has improved. They lost to Eastide high 2-1. But for thie first time ever Blue Ridge scored against Eastside. Senior Erin Raffaldt scored the goal. I'm just glad they are moving forward .

Dearest, dearest cindylou,
Before practice we had no clue,
Our kids laughed and said they knew
[Ambo probably likes us too!]

Thanks to our #1 fan!
Posted By: AVdude Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 01:31 PM
Along the same lines as how your program is improving, I was very surprised to see Riverside scored that many goals on you. Was your goalie injured? There shouldn't be any team that can score that many goals on Caitlyn (sp?). She is a great player.
Posted By: cindylou Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 02:48 PM
Hello Retired, Old and Happy !!! You are so right we are your number #1 fans. It is so great to hear how well you have done. I appreicate you coaching the girls and helping the program so,so much !It is so great to know the girls are improving and feeling good about the program and where it's going.Thanks for everything you have done!!! Cindy Lou :)
You are most welcome Miss Cindylou! Tell the Big A hello.
Quote:

Along the same lines as how your program is improving, I was very surprised to see Riverside scored that many goals on you. Was your goalie injured? There shouldn't be any team that can score that many goals on Caitlyn (sp?). She is a great player.

Their seniors played 74 minutes. I had subs in after about 35 minutes. 4-0 at half. Caitlin played first half and is hurt. Jamie played 2nd half. Sarah Jacobs and Austin Fagan on ninth graders has a predictable outcome.

One of the parents of the Riverside players noted that they usually had more class than that. I didn't say that; the girls' soccer parent did. One of our ninth graders had 5 goals scored on her. It is her first year of soccer.

Also, we meet them in the third round of the playoffs. I told my girls that was a message. We stay in the same region next year, Riverside with their 1690 students and BR with our 1207. Figure that out. I used to play when AAA meant AAA.

Fire the coach! (Me, not Riverside's) I say...
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 03:17 PM
How can you already know that you will be in the 3rd round of the playoffs? Did you receive byes in the 1st and 2nd rounds, or is it more of a, you know that the teams you are facing are weaker squads and can more or less assume that you will face Riverside again?
We have never been past the first round. Please don't take my statement to mean that we expect anything.

On the other hand, if you don't plan on it happening, it won't. We never plan to lose. Period.

The point was: Riverside 1, BR 0 in the first half of our first game. Message from Riverside - we will kill you. I am perfectly OK with that, and with playing seniors on Senior Night, adn with that 9-0 score.

I think we will play Blythewood in the first round. So does Coach Tony. I am making plans to play Daniel in the second round just like Coach Tony is. Means we are both winners. And I know if things work out, the probably opponent in the third round will be Riverside.

Don't criticize a coach for scouting, planning, and preparing. It is my job to give my team the best chance possible to win. One large part of that is attitude.

Check with Dale Jr, CJ about swagger. You guys were all from Anderson. You have swagger.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 03:35 PM
Dale Jr. already told me that he's playing Wando in the 4A Final.

That is swagger!
I am betting on Dale Jr. I don't know who we'll be playing in the AAA final.
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 03:39 PM
Quote:

That is swagger!

Dale, Jr....aren't you glad H66 is back!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 03:43 PM
CJ told me he could whip any team in Region 3. (I think he told me this right before he lost to the 4th place team in Region 2.)
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 03:44 PM
ROH, I understand the logic completely. You vs. the Stumpduck in the 1st round will be an ESPN instant classic! The feel good story from 07 vs. the feel good team of 08. Disney will probably, eventually, regrettably, make a movie based on this single game alone entitled "Stumpduck Ridge", and it will inspire millions to pontificate on single season turnarounds and the boon reaped from players dedicated enough to play year round. I, like millions of others, will be sucked in to watching the film, buying the soundtrack, and showing it to my 2019 squad in an attempt to motivate them before our classic showdown with #3 Ranked in AAAA BHP! I can't wait...

Really, it should be a good game.

And CJ and Dale Jr. have a swagger that is more enjoyable than any I've been around from a coaching perspective, but it doesn't permeate through to the Westside ranks like you might think. Cautious optimism will be the closest to swagger you see from the likes of myself.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 04:07 PM
Quote:

That is swagger!

Now why am I being dragged into this!?!?!? We are just trying to make playoffs this year !!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 04:11 PM
Farkas told me that Fort Mill stinks/is doomed/can't play a lick/.....if their center mid is injured.
We are who we are. I bet I would like you as much as I like Dale Jr. and CJ.

You know - I like the Stumpduck Ridge thought. Maybe Hillary Clinton could star at the Blythewood striker (we could stop her; I don't know about the Blythewood kid). We could film the recreation of the game in heaven because the facilities at Blythewood are very close to that. Arnold Swarzenegger could play Stumpduck Tony as they are both solid. The good thing is that we bought game pants this year that match the two sets of jerseys we had before this year. We will try to do good, but we will definitely look good doing it. Maybe Richard Harris (old, old wizard in Harry Potter) could play me because we are both very, very old - or is he dead?

I have seen Blythewood, and they have no weaknesses. I have seen Blue Ridge, and they have never been to a AAA playoff game. Advantage, Blythewood.

It will be an honor to play them if we get to. First class program, first class coach, from what I see first class kids that bust it. I love that stuff.

We will show up.
Quote:

Quote:

That is swagger!

Now why am I being dragged into this!?!?!? We are just trying to make playoffs this year !!!

Ut oh! I made Wando hot. I really like them too so why don't you predict playing someone else so I don't get into trouble.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 04:27 PM
I might comment on playoffs if we somehow manage to get past our opponent this Friday. I'm just glad I don't have to travel to the Greater Greenville-Spartanburg area and face unavoidable doom. They're like the Premier league in the Champions League Finals (Man U, Chelsea, and Liverpool all in the final 4). A small rural gambling ring in Lower East Pendleton actually has a few wagers that R2 will somehow win the lower state, too. They cannot be stopped.
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 04:31 PM
Quote:

Ut oh! I made Wando hot. I really like them too so why don't you predict playing someone else so I don't get into trouble.

ROH, not a prob. Dale, Jr is hard to resist. I love the swagger.....it's great for SC soccer
Gotta realize that the conversation this time of the year is usually centered around prom at Blue Ridge. This year, we are trying to set up buses to bring players, fans, etc. to Blythewood for what we think will be a boy's-girls Doubleheader!

Two years ago, when our boys and girls made basketball playoffs, we had over 100 kids ride the buses to the games and made quite a memory of it. We have great kids, and this is a big deal over here.

We're excited!
I predict a tie between Wando and South Aiken in the finals if that's possible. 12-12 on PK's before the sleet hits and everyone decides to name co-champions.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 04:46 PM
One black eye from Wando this year is enough thank you!
I believe that South Aiken may be into the giving of black eyes more than the receiving of them in the upcoming playoffs...
Posted By: Tony King Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 05:22 PM
Stumpduck Ridge??? Didn't Clint Eastwood direct that already??? No?... Oh, sorry!!!

ROH--- Please do me a favor and let me know exactly how many folks y'all might be bringing down here if it works out to be a boys/girls event. I might have to get a parade permit or who'sakindawhatchit thing if that many people show up for an event other than a football game. McDonalds and Hardees might need a bit of advance notice as well!

You know what though.... I wonder what kind of royalties we could get from a Disney flick? I wonder if we would get to film it in the BIG stadium?

Oh well..... Can't wait to tell my girls about the Arnold Swarzenegger thing- just them laughing and rolling around on the ground trying to catch their breath ought to be a good cardio- work out!! HA....

Tell you what-- and I think I can speak for ROH on this as well. If we do get to meet week after next, everyone else just postpone your playoff matches and come watch our game, that way when your grandkids ask about the game you can tell them "I was there!"

tk
I got to play Darth Vader (yes, full costume) this morning with my grandson for his third birthday. He got a mini Darth costume with that voice thing in it. You push a button and that scary voice comes out.

We were sword fighting (honest), and I pushed the button and it said, "I will destroy you!"

I may wear that thing during the game. It would really make the girls laugh.

For our BB playoff games, we filled a 75 seat and a 100 seat bus with students, gave them a FEAR THE TIGER! t-shirt, furnished a burger, and had one of the best times I have ever had! We beat Dreher in the first round and they were ranked #2. That was flat cool.

The kids are begging to do it again and we're trying to put it together.

Never bet against a TIGER!
I have a better idea. I will bring Thomas and let him prance around the sideline in that Darth Vader costume with the cape and push those buttons with those sayings. "You do not know the power of the dark side!" "I will destroy you!" etc.

There is no teenager alive who could be playing at Blythewood or Blue Ridge who wouldn't die laughing at that sight. Thomas is about 2 foot nothing, but he is really, really cute without that mask on.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 06:14 PM
Quote:

CJ told me he could whip any team in Region 3. (I think he told me this right before he lost to the 4th place team in Region 2.)

I'm waiting on this reply from CJ
Quote:

Quote:

I'm waiting on this reply from CJ

That's swagger! He probably learned that from some guy he started coaching under....
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 06:57 PM
Fanning the flames there Jr.?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 07:25 PM
Wuh-what? Instigate? Crazy talk!
Posted By: CJ Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/24/08 08:01 PM
Quote:

Back with a vengeance, eh Hurst?

You must have read my first round prediction post about the R2 sweep. I never said that I could whip any team from Region 3. But if you ask me about R2 teams...
CJ....I believe that I have heard that R3 stuff from reliable sources......you are too young to have memory lapses........

Anyone who questions how you will do against R2 teams must be talking about next year. This year - is answered!
Stumpduck, know you are looking. Let go of the next Battle of Stumpduck Ridge salvo. I am going to try to get Darth onto my avatar tomorrow with my techno son.
We have our first 55 seat bus full, and will work on the next one on Tuesday after we get back from a one-day school vacation (we have a game though).

My expectation is 20,000 or so. Somewhere around that.
20,003. We have a new rule where newborn must attend and be baptized at halftime.
Posted By: Tony King Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 04/26/08 01:43 AM
Sorry ROH--- been a bit too busy today to load much less fire a shot across your bow.

However, as you probably saw on your scouting trip down here a few weeks ago, we do have a very nice pond around the front side of the school where you could perform your half time baptisms. If you prefer not to use the immersion technique we have the water cooler, or finally if you are looking for a more intimate location there is a Lutheran church right next to us as well. Unfortunately if you choose to use the church you will have to drive over there because if you walked across the parking lot of the "big stadium" you would no longer be on Blythewood's campus but rather district property and they might get a little persnickety about your group trespassing on their property.

OH—and our assistant coach is also an ordained minister if you can’t bring your own.

tk
Interesting thoughts. I believe that we'll do the baptisms out of one of our water bottles on the sidelines so that the soccergerms filter down to the little ones....

Might use your assistant coach though. It is quite evident that neither of our coaches is a minister.....
Cindylou,

You started this post, and I thought I would close it by saying it really thrilled me to see Amberly walk up after the playoff game and say hello. I told her that (1) if you hadn't started her one year early in school, and (2) if she wasn't on full scholarship to Newberry, then (3) she would have been our starting midfielder instead of Newberry's.

That would have been sweet.

Thanks for your support. We love your family.

Coach
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Blue Ridge High Girls Soccer - 08/07/08 03:21 PM
Nice wallpaper! Good luck to Newberry this season.

http://upload.athleticsite.com/newberryi...r(SCHEDULE).jpg
© SC Soccer