SC Soccer
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Good Referees - 04/26/08 12:55 PM
A great refereeing example from our game last week.

A young ref stopped our game and came over to me as coach and said that he wanted a fan removed from the game. He said, "I want him out of here." I don't believe the fan was doing anything other than yelling, and his niece was taking a beating. I asked the ref to allow me to talk to the fan, and told him that he could throw us both out if he said anything else. He agreed. Don't think that is in the rule book, but what a cool and human thing to do.

The other young ref came by me on the sideline and said, "I think that was a little out of line on the part of my partner. There were not bad words, and if he has insisted, I would have stepped in and tried to stop it." That isn't in the rule book either, but what a cool and human thing to do.

That's pretty good refereeing in my book, and letting the girls and fans enjoy the game. Nice end to the story, our fan didn't say a word after I talked to him and everything was fine except the final score.

Sometimes refs win too. I made sure to go up to the refs about thirty minutes after the game (stated "I come in peace!) so they didn't call police, and told them how much I appreciated what they had done.

Nice job, gentlemen.
Posted By: 202677 Re: Good Referees - 04/26/08 02:55 PM
Not to be too much of a downer on this subject, but I think it's ridiculous for the official to ask a fan to be removed -- unless he was cussing, etc. Just "being a fan" is not enough to be removed.

How often do we see fans sent out of the stadium in high school football or basketball games. True there are more distractions and noise - band, crowd, etc. - but soccer officials are often quick to use their power to have folks banished from the stadium. It's sad that they have such thin skin.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Good Referees - 04/26/08 05:29 PM
A bad refereeing example from the Riverside vs Eastside game this week. Referee stopped the game and all of the great atmosphere when he went to both sides of the stands,
and took the noise makers from the students. Before this occured it had a mild euro feel to the game. Let the student body get behind there team and have a little bit of good, old fashion, clean fun.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 03:41 AM
Quote:

A bad refereeing example from the Riverside vs Eastside game this week. Referee stopped the game and all of the great atmosphere when he went to both sides of the stands,
and took the noise makers from the students. Before this occured it had a mild euro feel to the game. Let the student body get behind there team and have a little bit of good, old fashion, clean fun.

sweet feet i heard you were passing the noise makers out at the store.did they have addidas written on them?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 12:24 PM
South Carolina High School League rules prohibit the use of artificial noise makers at all athletic contests.

Bad rule.
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 12:34 PM
Actually, we almost had a natural noise maker thrown out of a game last week. What's the rule on "natural" (non profanity) noisemakers?
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 10:12 PM
Hey, I like these threads. Let me try one...

millitary intelligence
Posted By: Tony King Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 10:18 PM
Quote:

South Carolina High School League rules prohibit the use of artificial noise makers at all athletic contests.

Bad rule.

Well shoot!!! Who is going to tell the band they can't play at the football games any more???!!!!!

tk
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: Good Referees - 04/27/08 11:40 PM
I looked through the rules, and the only mention of noise maker's is during basketball games, am I to assume they can be used in all other sporting events? Also it's not the official's responsibility to have noise maker's removed, but the AD's. Please show me in the rules for soccer games that noise maker's are not allowed.
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 12:08 AM
how about jumbo shrimp
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:25 AM
huge shortage?
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:26 AM
okay, how about political solution
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:33 AM
Fine mess
All Alone
Head Butt
Pretty Ugly
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:45 AM
finally, somebody gets it.

And remember it is a calculated risk to use a genuine imitation of icy hot
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:51 AM
This thread is a virtual reality for people almost ready to buy a Dodge Ram.
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 01:56 AM
Hey, if they ever made a movie about South Carolina High School soccer do you think they could get Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly to play us?

http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/player/homevideo/talladeganights/clip-P7191316_frameset.html
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 02:02 AM
They would have no other choice but to choose those two. Who else could make that magic? Have you seen 'Walk Hard'? CJ...wow. It's the good old days back again.
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 02:06 AM
Did it win any awards, like Highlander?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 11:32 AM
It won the "I'm going to spend the next two weeks quoting lines to my wife and friends" award at the Young house.
Posted By: CJ Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 02:33 PM
so you are saying it is a must have if anyone wants to understand your posts for the next two weeks?

IN
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Good Referees - 04/28/08 03:39 PM
"You can take my kids...but don't you dare take Miles. Nobody takes my monkey!"

"I'm in a custody battle right now. She's trying to force it on me and I want out of it. I think if a man has kids than he should have the right to walk away from that responsibility."
© SC Soccer