SC Soccer
Also send an e-mail to kyle@scsoccer.com so that the Scoreboard can be updated. Thanks!
Girls Soccer - 3A First Round

Bluffton 0:5 Brookland-Cayce (Final)
3A First Round

Riverside 10
Seneca 0
South Aiken 1
Greenwood 0

The Lady Eagles played great defense and made us press, press, press to get the only goal in the 50th minute. They went on the attack and had the run of things the last 15, but the Lady T-Breds held on for the win. A couple of scary chances towards the end that didn't fall. Great job by George's girls and well played.
A.C. Flora 1:3 Wade Hampton (G)
Class A Playoffs

Indian Land 3:0 Greenville Tech
Class 3A Playoffs

Socastee 8:1 Lakewood
Class 4A Playoffs

Lexington 10:0 Easley
3A Playoffs

Hilton Head 7
Swansea 1
3A Playoffs

Blythewood 2
Blue Ridge 0
4A

Summerville 7

Richland NE 0
4A playoffs, @ Fort Mill, in overtime:

Fort Mill 3
Byrnes 1

25:00 (FM) Sarah Bird scored off a centering pass from Taylor Parker
26:00 (B) Throw-in play, flick hit the near post, Liz Kinney got the rebound
92:00 (FM) Ashleigh Sheets cut off by defense, slides ball outside to Kaitlyn Marr, big cross over the box, Becca Tooley heads it into the underside of the crossbar, deflects down and across the goal line
95:00 (FM) Taylor (Beckham) Parker bends a corner kick around the near post and into the goal

Byrnes was very athletic, easily averaging 4 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than FM. But they were surprisingly light on their feet, falling over at the slightest touch: ref called it 20 times. Great coaching! It worked!
TL Hanna 2
Irmo 1

TL Hanna dominated first half and should have had a 2 or 3 goal lead at halftime instead of 1-0. Irmo must have had a fire lit under their butts at halftime, they won most of the 50/50 balls in the second half and got a semi-cheap goal off a bad play by a TL Hanna Defender. But the better team pulled it out with a goal in the last 30 seconds of the game.
3A
Dreher 11
BHP 0
Mauldin 4

Northwestern 0
Beaufort at Dutch Fork

DF 4
Beaufort 0
North Augusta 2 (pk's)
Wren 1

What's a cheap goal?
no,no,no..."SEMI-cheap"??
Haha, my bad! What's a semi-cheap goal?

Oh, and congrats to Fort Mill! That's a huge win and I admit to underestimating them. Good job Lady Jackets and good job to my other Lady Jackets!
Looks like we got North Augusta. Congrats to Wren's Hannah Gmerek on a great high school career, good luck at C of C.

McCoy gave the FM-Byrnes recap. I'll add that Byrnes was very disciplined and they executed their game plan very well. Most of the time they sat back in a 5-4-1 and did agreat job absorbing pressure, offering Fort Mill only half chances. Byrnes countered when possible and their two center midfielders, Liz Kinney and #4 (sorry didn't catch her name), battled their rear ends off. The Lady Rebs knew they could get something out of a restart or a counter....and they did.....about 45 seconds after FM's goal.

It was a great game to watch. Two really good coaches with completely different strategies. Exciting match.

We do it again Wednesday night.
Byrnes #4, Cassie Smith, Junior midfielder
(I cheated...I kept the Viking Cup program!)
3A

Daniel 10
Camden 0
AAA First Round

Greenville 7
Lugoff-Elgin 0

Half-time: 6 - 0

Goals: Tollison 3x, Lewis, Waters, Robinson, Muse
Shutout: McClenaghan, Phillips
4A
Wando - 9
Conway - 0
Emerald 2
Southside 0

Goals scored by Morgan Riddle and Caroline Callison.
Nation Ford 1
Dorman 5
Eastside 8
Travelers Rest 0
Chapin 12
Stall 0
Any word on other Lower State 4A games??
Was Fort Mill the only region 3 team standing between region 2 and a sweep?
Any word on Spartanburg and Clover??
the lexington mauldin game should be pretty good on wednesday
James Island vs South Florence anyone?

Spring Valley vs. Fort Dorchester?
4A Playoffs

West Ashley 1:2 Ridge View
Spring Valley vs. Fort Dorchester?

Game postponed until tomorrow due to lightning.

That is what I was told by a SV parent.

Boys and girls will both play tomorrow.

tk
Sumter vs. Stratford, Anyone??
hey, I'm thumbing with Hobo...who knows about Clover/Sparkle City?
As you probably already know from previous posts, the battle of Stumpduck Ridge has come and gone. It was an entertaining game to watch with lots of quick action on both sides of the ball. Coach Rollie Sumwalt's girls really looked very snazzy in their new white uniforms, although I think it may have caused a second look or two from the casual observer as to who was home and who were the visitors.

It was nice to finally meet the man behind R-O-H and his wife as well.

tk
Any word on Crestwood-N Myrtle?
I know that we have already had a Hanna/Irmo recap but I need to mention a few things. The first is that Mike Mauldin and the Irmo version of yellow jackets are first class and his girls really took it to us, especially in the second half. We got lucky to get through this match but four things need to be mentioned.

1. We had to reorganize in the back and put our sophomore Mariana Anderson in charge of that group and she responded magnificently. Molly Harpe will be an all state candidate next year, yet she did our dirty work at stopper because we needed it.

2. Kendall Maxwell made several great saves, but there was one off of a long shot that had us holding our breath for what seemed like forever.

3. Our freshmen are unbelievable! Summer Miller, Kelsey Hand, Curry Ann Wilson, Morgan Cutts, Ashley Davis, and Kathryn Witcher all either started or contributed significant minutes.

4. Caitlin Robinson is the best finisher in the state...period. The goal she scored at the end was incredible.

I am going to bed. Whew! playoffs are fun!
Spartanburg 1
Clover 0

Second hand info, the goal came early in the first half.
Stratford-2
@Sumter-0
Congrats to the coaches and players on a good second half effort to get the win. Good luck Wednesday!
West Florence 5
Berkeley 0

Well, it's been a good run. Several factors beyond our control tonight that affected the score, plus a coach who took a gamble or two that didn't pay off, but the bottom line was West Florence put some great speed and effective shooting to good use. We gave them some opportunities and they converted them. We had our opportunites but couldn't quite find the net...oh, well...no use dwelling.

Now to figure out what I'm going to do with all my time...
Heard from someone at the Wren/N Augusta game that Wren had a player sent off with about 10 minutes to play. Does anyone have more details? North Augusta won in the 6th kick of pks.
Quote:

Was Fort Mill the only region 3 team standing between region 2 and a sweep?

your girls played the best game i have watched them play all year. just dominated the first half. the play in OT just showed how much they wanted it.those little Hurst66 love using their heads.a great save by the ft mill goalie in the first half.
i must say that the byrnes goalie was always in the right position to make the save in the first half. what was the shot total bones.seems the ft mill girls were letting loose with the ball a lot.
Quote:

As you probably already know from previous posts, the battle of Stumpduck Ridge has come and gone. It was an entertaining game to watch with lots of quick action on both sides of the ball. Coach Rollie Sumwalt's girls really looked very snazzy in their new white uniforms, although I think it may have caused a second look or two from the casual observer as to who was home and who were the visitors.

It was nice to finally meet the man behind R-O-H and his wife as well.

tk

Blythewood outplayed us tonight. We gave up a late PK on a silly push by a ninth grader who was in for one minute due to an injury to a player, and missed a great chance to score when another ninth grader stepped in front of an open senior captain on a corner. We play them all, and it got us tonight. Poor coaching.

Best vision of the year was the girls crying because it was over. Last year they were ready to be through. This year was better.

Good luck to our fellow Region II teams, who pretty much destroyed everyone they played last night.
And to Blythewood and Coach Tony.
I will say good luck to the rest of the field against Hilton Head. By far, the best team we have faced this year (heads and tales above the rest). Very big and very talented-(maybe Hilton Head will get a big head and lose... unlikely). They do have several beasts on the field, all eleven in fact (reminds me of Wando). We did not play well. However, I can take nothing away from Hilton Head and their talent. Congrats to the rest of our region for winning! Uphold the region tradition and somebody knock them off. All I can do now is watch-terrible feeling.
Swansea-1
Hilton Head-7
Goal-Franki Jumper, Fr
Assist-Haley Meredith, Fr
JM:
I had total shots clocked at 21-8, some just wide or over the frame.
Boys,
Clover just got beat last night.
It could have been 0-0 if we'd not given them an almost free one, but it could have easily been 3-0 as well.
Couldn't match the Sburg quickness and one touch passing in general.
It was a great run, though, Farkas! Next year is a new season.
Broome - 1
Ninety Six - 0

Goal scored by I. Berry. She had scored a previous goal that was called back on a "dubious" offsides call (one of many during the game). The refs were some of the worst I've seen all season. They were calling offsides based on where the player was when she received a pass, not where she was prior to the pass. One yellow was given out to one of our players for asking how much time was left near the end of the game. Are the refs that work playoff games supposed to be the best we have? If so, these needed to be reevaluated.
Quote:

Broome - 1
Ninety Six - 1

Goal scored by I. Berry. She had scored a previous goal that was called back on a "dubious" offsides call (one of many during the game). The refs were some of the worst I've seen all season. They were calling offsides based on where the player was when she received a pass, not where she was prior to the pass. One yellow was given out to one of our players for asking how much time was left near the end of the game. Are the refs that work playoff games supposed to be the best we have? If so, these needed to be reevaluated.

Who won this game?
Post deleted by Dale Jr
Sorry. I corrected the score. Broome - 1, Ninety Six - 0
From Charleston.net website

JAMES ISLAND 10, SOUTH FLORENCE 0

Goals: JI—A. Basinger 1, June 2, Chisholm 1, Terry 2, Ball 1, Feigl 1, Bartleson 1, Cooper 1.

Shutout: Easterbee/Cooper.

Record: JI 15-5.

Next: James Island plays the winner of Dutch Fork/Beaufort, Wednesday.
Quote:

no,no,no..."SEMI-cheap"??

Probably a bad term to use. To me a Semi-Cheap Goal is when a defender makes a very bad play allowing the other team to score on a goal from a shot they should not have been allowed to take. It is not to imply the goal scorer did not earn the goal, in fact she made a heads up play to capitalize on the Defenders error and then she made a beautiful shot just out of reach of the Keeper and just under the crossbar.
Dale:
The Lady Jackets would love to invite the Lady T-breds to play at our place on Friday. Think we can make it a date?
I don't think those two teams could possibly meet until Monday.

And both would be very fortunate to still be standing by Monday.
Uh oh...I read the bracket wrong? Alzheimer's? Who's playing Dorman?
South Aiken.

...and then they get the winner of TL Hanna / Spartanburg on Friday.
No I didn't! Dale goes to Dorman tomorrow. right?
No chance of him being in Fort Mill on Friday night though.
No....you are right, I have it wrong.

http://www.schsl.org/2007%20Brackets/gso%20aaaa.htm

Good shot Fort Mill will be on the road for every game after Wednesday, unless South Aiken can win one or Mauldin and/or Spartanburg can win two.
True, but we can always pull for Dale
....as long as Dale don't get wrecked!
I would like to open by saying how proud I am of my girls for the growth they have shown this season. As a coach, it's cool to see girls who have never played transform into soccer players. I have 5 former cheerleaders who are giving up cheering to play club soccer. The future looks bright for the Lady Trojans!

I would like to thank Kevin at Mauldin for a great match last night. Mauldin in my opinion is the best squad I have played this season.

Thanks
Hurst:

that Hilton Head pick looked pretty good last night. They were absolutely devestating against Swansea.

Your girl Stephanie Sosa had two goals and two assists.

The defense looked pretty good last night as the starters didn't give up a single shot. By the time Swanswea had taken their first shot HH was leading 7-0. Swanswea finished with three total shots.
Quote:

I would like to open by saying how proud I am of my girls for the growth they have shown this season. As a coach, it's cool to see girls who have never played transform into soccer players. I have 5 former cheerleaders who are giving up cheering to play club soccer. The future looks bright for the Lady Trojans!

I would like to thank Kevin at Mauldin for a great match last night. Mauldin in my opinion is the best squad I have played this season.

Thanks

i will go ahead and continue my push for cantona being the region III coach of the year.i told hurst last year he should of been and he should be even more so this year.they have come from losing in the ft mill tourny to a neighborhood christian school with no more than 11 students in the whole school(6-0)sorry to the playoffs.they also put some scares in the top dogs in the region.if he does not get it then someone is a communist.
semper fi cantona!!!

this is no dissrespect to all the other fine coaches in the region.
I really enjoy watching Hilton Head play, and if they make it to Stone Stadium for the final, I'm driving down.

From the looks of it, HH will have at least two more very tough matches, just to get out of the lowerstate. I'm real impressed with how strong 3A is this year.

Stephanie is The Bomb! Go HH!
Dorman has successfully obliterated my playoff hopes 2 out of the last 3 years. When Josef retires, he'd better say some good things about me.
Geez those crazy Marines really stick together.

The York County conspiracy....Jim Morrison, Cantona and Farkas!
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

i will go ahead and continue my push for cantona being the region III coach of the year.i told hurst last year he should of been and he should be even more so this year.they have come from losing in the ft mill tourny to a neighborhood christian school with no more than 11 students in the whole school(6-0)sorry to the playoffs.they also put some scares in the top dogs in the region.if he does not get it then someone is a communist.
semper fi cantona!!!

this is no dissrespect to all the other fine coaches in the region.

Cantona for North Coach in 2009!!!
Quote:

Geez those crazy Marines really stick together.

The York County conspiracy....Jim Morrison, Cantona and Farkas!

if you want to talk crazy lets talk about bones and his wife.she jumped out of planes!!! what can you say about 2 army dogs.
Carolina Forest 4
Marlboro County 0
im done with the pluggs after this.

cantona has taken a group of girls(most of which has played no soccer)and made them a competative team. his soccer talent level has went down over the years and he has taught alot of these girls the basics to play soccer.he does not have that pipeline to nc clubs.he has a few players that play club but most of them played at DSC (DSC sound familiar cantona)and did not start club soccer untill high school.he has the 1 or 2 execptions that plays in charlotte but they were hurt most of the year.how he coached this team to play so well in the regions they did is beyond me.great job cantona and girls.

i will also have to give a nod to the ft mill coach. i know ft mill has gotten the powerhouse reputation the last few years and it is expected for them to be a good team.that sometimes keeps an outstanding coach from reciving these types of honors.
this year i watched a coach take a group of a few upper classmen and a boat load of young players and create a good team.he also had to deal with the loss of many players that would of gave them depth when the split happened with the opening of nation ford.at an early point of the season i set and watched a team of players i knew were very good players play like a team that shouldnt be in the top 20.what i watched last night was a team that could beat anyone.great job coaches and players at ft mill.you ft mill parents still stink.

jim lets my oldest train with him so i give him a nod.cesar lets my youngest daughter play on his boys team so i still say he is the coach of the year.
J.L.Mann 5
Woodmont 0
Woof!
Quote:

Woof!

i got your woof there army dog.remember we are the devil dogs.you boys were the poodles.
LOL...No comment
Quote:

Hurst:

that Hilton Head pick looked pretty good last night. They were absolutely devestating against Swansea.

Your girl Stephanie Sosa had two goals and two assists.

The defense looked pretty good last night as the starters didn't give up a single shot. By the time Swanswea had taken their first shot HH was leading 7-0. Swanswea finished with three total shots.

This should probably be in another thread, but...
I have to say HH was good. In my girls' defense, we wanted to be physical and the refs called it very tight (one way). Not to mention, the second goal was offsides by a mile, the camera shows that clearly-missed call. The third goal was a pk-a terrible call. My girl made a clean play on the ball, it was their forward who turn her back, fell,and did some great acting. Several slide tackles from the behind. Home field definitely was an advantage. Our girls were intimidated and frustrated. I take nothing away from HH-a very good team. However, it is hard to battle back with such adversity (especially after the 2nd and 3rd goals). My girls tried to keep their heads in the game, but with traveling three hours on a bus with no air, very tough. I am proud that they kept playing to the end. We are trying to make our program better. Our school has yet to buy a complete set of unforms for our program. We are not there yet, but we are making progress. We are very poor school district that is doing the best we can with good parents. Next year we will be better. Aside: Chapin will beat HH (because HH will have to travel to Chapin). "Unlevel playing fields" are to compete on.
You can bet Airport is pulling for Chapin in that match!
WF/Berkeley
Berkeley played tough and are to be commended. West Florence is young, 4 freshmen and 6 sophomores in the starting lineup. The second round game will be a rematch with Ridge View, WF won a couple weeks back 3-2. Keep an eye on #6, freshman Alexa Gainey. She plays on the '93 odp squad and tallied 2 goals versus Berkeley.
I understand your frustration Meredith, but you cannot blame the result of the HH - Swansea match on the refs. The tape of the match that I watched shows a clear foul that led to the PK (yes - the defender was making a play on the ball, but she went through the other player to get there). Personally, I prefer a physical game, but there are limits. Also, neither the second or third goal account for Swansea not getting a single shot on goal until after the HH starters were on the bench in the second half.

That said, I really appreciate your sentiments concerning the difficulties associated with being a relatively remote and poorly funded program. The travel does impact the play, especially on a school night.

However, HH has only one team in its conference that is less than 3 hours away and they are very accustomed to travelling. Chapin may well win, but it will be because they prove themselves to be the better team (and have consistently played better competition - including teams like Swansea).

Best of luck next season to Swansea and all those teams that have ended their season.
HH
Come to us next year, we will be happy to host you all next year. Give me a call: 568-1100.
"Can't we all just get along"
-Rodney King
And how far did that get Rodney?
Just kidding. This is likely not the best format for above, but will leave to the admin folks.
I was at the game so I will give my account from how it looked from the stands.

Hilton Head controlled the match throughout. About 90% (a rough estimate) was Hilton Head controlling the ball in their offensive third.

HH's first goal came about 10 minutes in and was an incredible offensive play with a great pass from Stephanie Sosa finished by Dianna Boryk.

The second goal was scored by Abby Fennessey and it appeared to me (and everyone else) that she was offsides when the ball was delivered.

I thought the third goal was a penalty. It was close enough that in the box, the defender has to make a smarter play.

Here is the recap from the Island Packet:
{The Seahawks (13-2) were barely challenged in taking their first step toward a return to the state finals, where they lost to Eastside a year ago. Dianna Boryk got Hilton Head High on the board in the 10th minute, hitting a beautiful pass from Stephanie Sosa with her right foot, and Abby Fennessey scored her team-leading 15th goal less than four minutes later.

"When you travel as far as they did, in the heat, and you're down 2-0 or something early," Seahawks coach Larry Tavino said, "it kind of has a devastating effect."

So it was that much more devastating when the Seahawks tacked on three more goals before halftime -- one from Natoli and a pair from Sosa. They added two more in the second half, from Boryk and Carly Iulo, and had a 7-0 lead before Hilton Head High goalie Kylie Thompson had made a single save.

Thompson made only two saves in the game.}

The two goals were certainly controversial, but they really had little effect on the game. Hilton Head was better and still would have won 7-1 without those two calls. If the score was 5-1 in the second half, HH's better players would have stayed on the field longer and scored anyway.

Congratulations to Swansea on a good season. I saw them twice. They will get better in the years to come.
Great to see a young WF team doing so well--definitely some talent there, and looks good for the future! Berkeley was starting 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores as well, and losing only 4 seniors this year...looking forward to seeing what the future holds!

Thanks for the game of "mudball" following the torrential rain...I'd have loved to play that game again with a keeper who wasn't suffering from double vision from a cleat to the eye last week...I think we could have really made it fun! Good luck in the next round!
realmccoy: Rodney got $3.8M. Of course, he then got arrested for spousal abuse, possession, indecent exposure, speeding, DUI, etc.
Ya see? What good does it do ya? Best to stay clean and work hard
Quote:

realmccoy: Rodney got $3.8M. Of course, he then got arrested for spousal abuse, possession, indecent exposure, speeding, DUI, etc.

I want to know where I can find a 4 million dollar butt kicking.

I'd sign on for that deal two or three times.
Quote:

Aside: Chapin will beat HH (because HH will have to travel to Chapin). "Unlevel playing fields" are to compete on.

According to the bracket note, "The higher seed team will host." HH is a #1 seed and Chapin is a #2. So wouldn't Chapin have to travel to HH if they both win on Wednesday?
Quote:

Quote:

Aside: Chapin will beat HH (because HH will have to travel to Chapin). "Unlevel playing fields" are to compete on.

According to the bracket note, "The higher seed team will host." HH is a #1 seed and Chapin is a #2. So wouldn't Chapin have to travel to HH if they both win on Wednesday?

that is the way I read it. I just figured I was wrong again.
In a girl's mind two controversial goals early have a great effect when you already know you are on their home field. The culmination of AP exams and EOC tests this week-pretty difficult for our gals. I will my wounds and move and re-focus for club.
I thought it was pre-determined after the first two rounds. I guess maybe not.
If both have the same seed, the bracket position predetermines who will host.
HH to Bluffton 26 minutes
HH to North Charleston 2hrs 16 minutes
HH to St. Stephens 2hrs 56 minutes

Mapquest
So lfc is Tavino?
Anyone griping about traveling a long way want to drop out and let us take your place?
It takes me 45 minutes to get from the office to the field. Does that count?
Quote:

It takes me 45 minutes to get from the office to the field. Does that count?

did you catch the whole game last night?
No...got there 25:00 in. Saw all the good parts, though
And it still cost me $5
When you're from Fort Mill, you don't have to be there for the whole game.....You kinda know how it is going to come out....
Quote:

And it still cost me $5

we got there 15 mins before game time and there was 3 of us.only cost me $5.whats up with that?
I demand a congressional investigation! Unfair gate admission practices!
Quote:

I demand a congressional investigation! Unfair gate admission practices! [/quote

i have to show love to my wife to get the coaches pass.
It usually only costs $5 when one is distracting the ticket taker and the other two are jumping the fence!
Quote:

So lfc is Tavino?

I doubt it. Larry is not the posting type.
SCISA 3A Quarterinals

Hilton Head Christian-1
@ Ben Lippen-3

Goals: Carrie Settle 8:30(BL); Meritt Rollins 13:10(BL); Sammi Osman 30:45(BL); Melissa Whitten 57:30(HHC)
Assists: Meritt Rollins (BL)
Saves: Anne Armstrong (BL)-15; Janell Raquet (HHC)-5

Excellent game tonight in the first round of the playoffs. My girls played the best half of soccer we have played this season in the first half. We dominated the first half offensively and controlled the tempo of the game. HHC came out in the second half playing hard, physical soccer while we hung back and played not to lose. Not a great second half, but we did what we needed to when we needed to in order to get the win. I'm proud of the heart and effort my girls put forth tonight. They played a very good overall game against a team that had beaten us earlier this season to keep our season alive. Meritt Rollins, Sammi Osman, and Carrie Settle all played a dominant game in the midfield and forward positions, opening up passing lanes and lifting up their teammates. Sam Currier stepped up in a big way in the second half to help keep HHC out of the net. Rebecca Schoon played a great game at the sweeper spot. Excellent effort from everyone on the field. I believe we head to HHP Thursday if they held on to beat Cardinal Newman. Heard that one was a close game, but could be wrong. Great win, ladies! Keep up the hard work!
Good stuff Coach Brown! Hilton Head wouldn't have to drive so far if all these private schools would settle down and go public!
Spring Valley 5
Fort Dorchester 0

Spring Valley had a difficult time getting started, but at the 20 minute mark Coach Lea made a substitution that sparked the team and Hanna made her first goal. Before the half she had a second one. The second half Hanna scored a goal within the first 10 minutes..Coach Lea let Jamie out of her cage (goal), and within another 5 minutes SV was up by 5. At that time Coach Lea emptied the bench, and the play ended up 5-0 for SV. The bench had multiple chances, but never capitalized.
Hilton Head Prep 3
Cardinal Newman 0

Halftime score 0-0
Total shots:
HHP 29
CN 7

Coach Brown,

Congratulations on a great win. Sometimes all you have to play is one great half. That is what happened on Hilton Head.

My props to Cardinal Newman and the effort they gave tonight. If any club coach out there needs an outstanding goalie, Amy Kowalski of Cardinal Newman can flat out play. She single handedly kept CN in the game in the first half. She made three or four saves that very few keepers I have seen in the state could have made and she has a cannon for a leg. She punted a ball from box to box tonight.

Hilton Head Prep played a magnificent second half and came away with a 3-0 win.

I am looking forward to watching a great girls soccer game between Hilton Head Prep and Ben Lippen in the semifinals on Thursday.
SCISA 3A Quarterfinals
@ Pinewood Prep

Hammond -4
Pinewood -3
Quote:

SCISA 3A Quarterfinals
@ Pinewood Prep

Hammond -4
Pinewood -3

Congratulations to Hammond. This is a shocker to me. I thought Pinewood would make it all the way to the finals.
In 2A, a hard fought battle was played last night against Aynor and Loris girls. Loris had Aynor's number 3x during the season. The game went to a shootout after Loris tied the game in OT and Aynor came back and tied it minutes later. The players on both teams fought til the end and had 5 shooters go with it still being tied, and Aynor was able to pass one pass our GK and we could not finish.
Both teams played with all their heart and it was very exciting game. It was not the best soccer game but both teams played with every ounce of energy and determination to win the game. These teams are region rivals and it was the 4th time they met this year.
Congrats to both teams and all the players. Good Luck to Aynor who plays Bishop England tonight.
It was a fun and a great season for Loris for all they did this year in their 2nd year as a girls program.
Quote:

Good stuff Coach Brown! Hilton Head wouldn't have to drive so far if all these private schools would settle down and go public!

I like the way you think, Dale Jr. That solution certainly would cut this kind of travel time down. Oh well, one Hilton Head team was willing to come to us, so now I guess it's time for us to return the favor to the great Hilton Head Island. This will my first trip to that place, but unfortunately, I don't think it will include time at the beach. I don't think this trip will be much of a vacation, but it would be nice if it had a happy ending!
Quote:

Coach Brown,

Congratulations on a great win. Sometimes all you have to play is one great half. That is what happened on Hilton Head.

I am looking forward to watching a great girls soccer game between Hilton Head Prep and Ben Lippen in the semifinals on Thursday.

SCISA sports fan, you're right...sometimes all you need is one great half. We did what we needed to do, but we'll have to do more on Thursday if we plan to win. Amy Kolowky is a fantastic goalkeeper from CN who is only a Soph, I believe. Congratulations to HHP on a great win last night! I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a great game Thursday night. If you're there for the game, stop by and say hello. I, too, was surprised about Hammond. I guess the upperstate teams have fared better than expected. Do you know about St. Joe's/Porter-Gaud?
Played @ Heathwood Hall

St. Joseph's 2
Porter Gaud 1
Thanks for posting that one. Looks like it was a close one. Congratulations to St. Joe's for a good win! They will host Hammond in the Semifinals, that should be a good game!
Quote:

Thanks for posting that one. Looks like it was a close one. Congratulations to St. Joe's for a good win! They will host Hammond in the Semifinals, that should be a good game!

Porter Gaud scores can be very misleading. It may well have been close, but the PG games I have seen have all been close in score with PG absolutely getting hammered on the field.

They like to pack 10 players inside the 18 and make you shoot through them. Then they send long balls out to their one forward in hopes for a breakaway.

It keeps the scores down, but they never really have a chance to win.
I tend to disagree with that statement. LAst nights game was wide open with both teams having chance to score. St Joes went up 2-0, PG fought back to make it 2-1 at the half.
In the second both teams had chances but St. Joes came out on top, congrats to them and best of luck in the next round.
In reference to your statement about packing it in, the only tem that PG did that too this season was Hilton Head Prep and Wando in the Rotary. Sometimes you have to know your limitations,why not have a team try to break you down instead of getting tonked.
3/6
Regular Season Game

Shannon Forest- 1
Rabun Gap- 1

Congrats to the Shannon Forest Girls Team. They finish the regular season 9-3-1 and won the CAA Conference Championship last night. Playoffs for Shannon Forest start Saturday.
dcut

I stand corrected. It sure seemed to me that was the strategy PG employed at Hilton Head Christian also. Congratulations on a well played game yesterday.

After seeing PG against St. Joe's and HHP both, how do you think the teams stack up against each other if they make it to the finals?
Whoa, too early sports fan . . .
HHP has to get by Ben Lippen tomorrow which should be a good game and
St. Joe's has to get by a Hammond team that is playing as good as anyone right now.
Quote:

Whoa, too early sports fan . . .
HHP has to get by Ben Lippen tomorrow which should be a good game and
St. Joe's has to get by a Hammond team that is playing as good as anyone right now.

I know I know. Not trying to slight anybody. Just wanted an opinion from a Porter Gaud fan that has seen both teams. Not sure many PG fans will be around the next few days.
Having played Hammon and HHP asuming both teams advance i think HHP will come out on top. I have not seen Ben Lippen play but from what i read they sure seem like a quality team. Its nice to see some paridoy within SCISA.
SCISA sports fan no slight taken. PG only had one player thaat played club soccer last fall. St Joes beat PG in the smae round of the playoffs last season 7-0, so ithink the progress has been great for the PG soccer program. Who knows what will happen next season.
The semis this year should be interesting to watch and read about. Good luck to all teams involved
wade hampton 2 barnwell 0
Riverside 1 Eastside 0

Riverside scored in the first five minutes of the 1H on a ball from the left back (Anne Austin) to a forward (Anna Tarry) in front of the goal
Posted By: SCSoccerGuru TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:17 AM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! What a game!!!

TL HANNA 1
Spartanburg 0

Goal scored midway through the first half on an amazing shot by Kasey Craft. (Hope I spelled that name right). These two teams played full out the whole game, incredible defenses. This game was non-stop action.
Posted By: realmccoy Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:24 AM
Fort Mill 2
North Augusta 0

9:00 Ashleigh Sheets, 38:00 Ashton Wolfe

NA 11 shots on goal, FM 6

Lots of defense both ways. Still alive
Posted By: soccercrazy Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:41 AM
Mauldin 2 Lexington 1 GO Mavs!!!
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:43 AM
3A Second Round
Myrtle Beach 1:2 (ot) Brookland-Cayce
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:44 AM
Woodruff 4
Broome 0
Posted By: beachfan Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:45 AM
Academic Magnet 7
Hanahan 0
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:46 AM
3A Second Round
Hilton Head 6:2 Socastee
Posted By: Dreher Dad Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:51 AM
AAA second round

Wade Hampton 3
Dreher 2

Defensive breakdown in the 2nd sudden death overtime with about 2:40 remaining.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:56 AM
At Summerville:

Summerville 5
Stratford 0

Hard-fought game; Stratford had their opportunities, including one great cross with a minute to go that unfortunately was shot straight at the keeper. Summerville capitalized on positioning and great first touches; they are a very in-control team when they have possession of the ball.

Score was 2-0 at the half when I arrived...all three goals I saw were from crosses to back post or crossing shots to the far side net.

Nice match to watch...good job by both teams...
Posted By: SCSoccerGuru Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 12:57 AM
Quote:

Mauldin 2 Lexington 1 GO Mavs!!!

Oh Yes, Hanna plays at Home Friday night. Thanks for saving us some gas money.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 01:18 AM
DF & JI are going to PK's.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 01:21 AM
Hanna,

Glad you're home.......but be careful what you wish for. Those Mavs are on a roll.
Posted By: CoachMorris Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 01:25 AM
3A second round
Airport 7 North Myrtle Beach 0

Airport hosts BC Friday night.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 01:26 AM
DF 0
JI 0

James Island advances (4-2 pk's).
Posted By: FutbolMadness Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:37 AM
At Wando:

WANDO - 2
Spring Valley - 0

Goals: Both by Olivia Urig
Shutout: J. Davis
Posted By: live and learn Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:43 AM
Anyone know about Daniel/Blythewood or JL Mann/Greenville?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:45 AM
West Flo vs. RV?

Dorman vs. SA?
Posted By: soccercrazy Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:51 AM
JL Mann 1 Greenville 0 (JL Mann scored in one of the OT's)
Posted By: Bengal #11 Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:52 AM
Quote:

Anyone know about Daniel/Blythewood or JL Mann/Greenville?

im sure youll hear Coach King in a little while for the Blythewood/Daniel final score.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:59 AM
bengal #11, do you not know the score or does this mean you know the score and are saving it for coach king to post?
Posted By: Red Card Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:06 AM
Tony will post later.
Posted By: M Allen Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:15 AM
any score on Wacammaw-Andrew Jackson?
Posted By: sweepit Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:18 AM
Are you from Barnwell? Only somebody from Barnwell would ask that.
Posted By: WROONEY Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:21 AM
Ridge View score?
Posted By: M Allen Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:23 AM
I see...you have jokes.....you and ronnie come on down to Barnwell!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:25 AM
Unconfirmed reports had Dorman leading South Aiken.
Posted By: Bengal #11 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:29 AM
i hear rumors that Ridge View beat West Florence..
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:32 AM
Class 2A/1A Second Round

West-Oak 2:1 (ot) Southside Christian
Posted By: Mia San Mia Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:33 AM
Jl Mann actually scored a second goal in the 97th minute after Greenville had to take a chance and pushed everybody up.

Final score:
Greenville 0
Jl Mann 2 OT

Goals: Rae Wilson 88th
Rae Wilson 97th

Congrats to our opponents for advancing to the quarterfinals.
The Red Raiders finish the season after a tremendous 2nd round battle against the Patriots tonight with a 16-6 record. It was a terrific year. If there was a fairplay trophy, Greenville would be a very strong candidate. Only one yellow card / no red card in 22 matches + 3 scrimmages. What a classy and smart group of athletes. The same goes for our parents and supporters who followed the guidelines for clean and positive cheering always to a T.

We are sad that this season is over for us and wish the remaining eight 3A teams the best of luck in the next round. While we are looking forward to moving from region 1 into region 2 next year to mix things up a little , we'll miss some of the good challenges from our region 1 opponents.
Posted By: CJ Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:41 AM
Quote:

Unconfirmed reports had Dorman leading South Aiken.

Heard from the source...Dorman 4 SA 0
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:49 AM
CJ,

Congratulations on your big win.

I assume you are working on your recap?
Posted By: 202677 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:59 AM

Or Nightcap?
Posted By: BamBam Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 03:26 AM
Good year for the Lady T'Breds though. They will be back!
Posted By: Tony King Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 03:32 AM
Well, it was a good game. Perhaps a "classic" even. Down to the wire with both teams having a chance to win it.

Blythewood went up 1-0 in the first half and then missed a PK-- a better description would be that the Daniel keeper made a save on the PK attempt to keep the score 1-0 at half. At sometime in the 2nd half (NeverPlayed might be able to help me out with the exact timing of things) Daniel scored off a corner to knot it at 1-1. For the rest of regulation time and through overtime and golden goal both had chances-- neither converted. I am EXTREEMELY proud of my girls for being able to hold Daniel who has already scored 101 goals this season to the single tally that they scored during the 110 minutes of play.

On to PK's

Daniel scored 2, had two saved, and missed one? I think.

We scored 3, had one saved, and missed one. It came down the last kick of the 1st 5.

It was a physical game to say the least. Several players knocked down but not out on both sides. Three yellows handed out-- two them one us. Is that right NeverPlayed? I didn't record any other ones.

Speaking of NeverPlayed-- it was a pleasure to meet him after the game, he walked over after the game to say hello and I thank him for that- it was nice to put the face with the name.

I'm going to defer to NeverPlayed for his take on the referees.

To wrap it up b/c it is getting kinda long- Thanks to my wife and all the others who came out for the game especially the boys soccer and baseball players who made it there, especially at the end and also kudos to them for the way they behaved. (Or at least how they behaved while I was watching/listening and not absorbed by the game)

Good luck to the boys tomorrow as they take on Daniel too and congratulations to the baseball team for their win over Riverside tonight as well.

tk
Posted By: Bengal #11 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 03:37 AM
Great game Lady Bengals it was a fantastic game to watch, very physical to say the least. Good Luck in the 3rd round of play-offs, were behind you all the way!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 04:04 AM
Dorman played fantastic and is easily the best team we've seen all season. Just way too much for us early on. Attempted to start out defensive and work our way to halftime before making a press, but that quickly went out the windown sometime in the first 10 to 15 minutes. We were treated well and it was the best officiating crew we've had all year long.

Congrats to CJ and Hanna on the 3rd round. Break the record of 06 and take it one step further!
Posted By: USCBIGDOG Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 04:25 AM
whats up with the chapin vs carolina forest game?
Posted By: USCBIGDOG Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 04:28 AM
If Chapin advances it will be 3 of final four teams in Lower State from Region 4. Not too shabby..
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 04:47 AM
Daniel 1
Blythewood 1
Blythewood wins in PK's 3-2

I feel beat up, and I wasn't even on the field. 110+ minutes of soccer and 5 hours on the road just wears us over 50 folk out!

Great recap Coach King. Very physical, evenly matched game. I thought the refs let things get a little too rough, and missed some obvious calls on both sides of the ball. And what was up with the ref consulting the rule book before the PK's? That was comical!

Great to meet you and thanks for a "classic" game. Good luck against Riverside Friday. Some of us might even ride over to watch.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 04:48 AM
Quote:

At Wando:

WANDO - 2
Spring Valley - 0

Goals: Both by Olivia Urig
Shutout: J. Davis

Great Game for 62 minutes, neither team could penetrate each other's defenses, ball control was probably 55%-45% in Wando's favor (as a biased SV parent -- the Wando familiar officials helped tip it in Wando's favor) The #12 managed to sneak behind our defense, (while one of our defender's had been sub'ed out due to injuries) and she was able to beat Jamie on one to one - great goal #12. SV then tried to pull it back, but could not. GOOD GAME WANDO, the European style play was tough on our smaller framed ladies. The SV ladies played what I say was there best game this season, and they should be very proud how they clicked and work as a single team.
Posted By: Tony King Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 04:59 AM
The Ref and the Rule book before PK’s was my fault.

He was telling me that I had to have ALL the players on my roster kick before I could have someone take a second pk. So, for example if we had gone through three rounds of 5, I would not be able to start back over with my better kickers but would rather have to keep going until I had exhausted my 21 players on the roster. It was my understanding of the rule book that this was not the case and I asked him about it. He consulted the rule book to see if there was anything regarding this scenario listed in there. I applaud him for going to the rule book to look, but am going to research that one myself for the future "what if's" and print it out and stick it in my bag.

If anyone has information on this PLEASE let me know, I just want to clarify for my own understanding.

tk
Posted By: Agoraphobia Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 05:56 AM
ridge view 4-2 over west florence... on to wando. well done ladies
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 09:53 AM
Kudos are due to Wade Hampton AAAA/Greenville and their run through the playoffs. They got a lot of flack earlier, but they deserve a lot of credit for their toughness and winning late in the season and playoffs. Nice job Lindsay, Caroline, Coach Jay, and the rest of the Generals!

Probably all Region II finals with Riverside (sorry Tony!) versus J.L. Mann - Wade Hampton winner. Only reason Eastside isn't in it is they had to play Riverside last night.

REGION II is the "definition" of toughness of schedule.
Posted By: CJ Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 10:26 AM
Quote:

CJ,

I was working on visiting a bit with my wife then went to bed! We had to earn that match the hard way. We managed a beautiful goal by Casey Craft midway through the first half then held on for dear life. Now it is on to Friday night with Mauldin. I talked to Czar and we are playing at 7pm.

Word has it that there is going to be a tailgating party leading up to the game! Girls soccer is moving up in the world.
Posted By: formerhscoach Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 10:28 AM

Christ Church 4
Indian Land 0
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 10:29 AM
Quote:

Quote:

CJ,

I was working on visiting a bit with my wife then went to bed! We had to earn that match the hard way. We managed a beautiful goal by Casey Craft midway through the first half then held on for dear life. Now it is on to Friday night with Mauldin. I talked to Czar and we are playing at 7pm.

Word has it that there is going to be a tailgating party leading up to the game! Girls soccer is moving up in the world.

Where???!!!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 11:10 AM
Quote:

Fort Mill 2
North Augusta 0

9:00 Ashleigh Sheets, 38:00 Ashton Wolfe

NA 11 shots on goal, FM 6

Lots of defense both ways. Still alive

flat and a boreing game.we will not need to see the replay on cn2 news. the game was to slow to of missed anything.
Posted By: Tony King Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 11:15 AM
Quote:

He was telling me that I had to have ALL the players on my roster kick before I could have someone take a second pk...

FOUND THE ANSWER--- page 76 of 07-08 rule book--- under the "b" If the score remains tied continue the sudden-victory kicks with the coach selecting ANY five players..... if still tied repeat 4-a...

tk
Posted By: JIMBO Re: TL Hanna / Spartanburg - 05/08/08 11:20 AM
Emerald 0
Wahalla 1

Good luck to the rest of the Upstate 2A teams as they make their runs for a State Title.

Warning - If you ever play at Wahalla during playoffs take an extra pair of dry clothes with you. With five minutes left in the game someone thought a great way to celebrate would be to turn the sprinklers on for a few seconds. I thought this was very disrespectful to the opposing team.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 11:25 AM
Quote:

Quote:

He was telling me that I had to have ALL the players on my roster kick before I could have someone take a second pk...

FOUND THE ANSWER--- page 76 of 07-08 rule book--- under the "b" If the score remains tied continue the sudden-victory kicks with the coach selecting ANY five players..... if still tied repeat 4-a...

tk

Referee was confused with USSF rule, which a player cannot repeat on the penalty until all players on the field had a chance. One of those rules that HS league decided to deviate from the norm. -- By the way Great Job on the WIN, now to revenge last year's loss to Riverside.
Posted By: Man City FC Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 11:57 AM
The Pain Train:

Where is the recap of the Mauldin vs Lexington game? Or anyone else. In the words of Hurst "I need details".
Posted By: Jackson, Samuel L. Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 12:29 PM
AIRPORT HIGH!!!!!!
Posted By: SoccerPOP9194 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 12:42 PM
Chapin 3

Carolina Forest 0

Should have been much higher score, Carolina Forest keeper had a great game. I wasn't actually counting but Chapin must have had 20 shots that were on frame and another 10 that went wide, high or hit the post. Carolina Forest had one shot which went wide left (great shot from about 20 yards out, would have been a goal if it was on frame).

We lost our senior center mid Brittney in a collision between her and the keeper about 10 into the second half. She took a nasty knock on the knee, we are all praying that she has no permenate damage and that she will be ready to go for Hilton Head.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 01:06 PM
Quote:

Where is the recap of the Mauldin vs Lexington game? Or anyone else. In the words of Hurst "I need details".

Since I've been touting how Mauldin is better than their ranking since early in the season, I guess I'll write this. I'm a Lexington parent, so no doubt I'll be biased but I'll try my best to be straightforward.

Mauldin came out strong and in the first 10 minutes of the game I thought had the better of play. In the rest of the half I thought Lexington had the better of play. Lexington went with a system in which they were able to create opportunities but not able to finish them (note: this has been a problem with this system all season -- but the other system has problems as well so this isn't a criticism -- I don't know a better system.) At the half it was 0-0.

Lexington came out very strong for the first 10 minutes of the second half. However, on one of Mauldin's first opportunities they capitalized when Lexington's defense either tried an offside trap that worked but the referees didn't call it (some people's opinion), that didn't work and left Sarah Schaidle open for a very nice pass (other people's opinion), or the defense was disorganized (yet other people's opinion). (Note: in my opinion she wasn't offside, but I was out of position and I've been told by those closer than I'm full of garbage.) In any case, Sarah had a clean 1v1 opportunity and placed a very nice shot. To make this clear, Mauldin deserves credit for a very good play and Lexington's keeper was absolutely alone and couldn't do anything about it (note: I'm not related to the keeper.)

After that, Lexington switched to a system that has led to more scoring against better teams this year but has left us much weaker in terms of possession and the number of opportunities created (note: now that Lexington's season is over, I can tell you I hate this system but I recognize the conundrum the coach faced and don't know of a better answer.) I think Mauldin had the better of play for most of the rest of the half in terms of possession. With about 5 minutes to go a PK was assessed against Mauldin when one or more players contacted a Lexington player (note: I thought whatever occurred it wasn't the intention of anyone to hurt anyone -- just one of those things -- but there was stoppage for maybe 3-4 minutes while the player was down and eventually taken off the field.) Jessica Marshall took the PK and scored.

In overtime, Lexington kept the same system and Mauldin did a very good job possessing and I thought continued to have the better of play. Mauldin scored about halfway through the first overtime when Sarah Schaidle took the ball from a Lexington player, the player made a defensive mistake and Lexington's defense collapsed, Sarah made a very nice offensive move, and scored. After that, I thought Mauldin continued to have the better of play and there were few opportunities for Lexington. However, Lexington had one more chance when a player made a beautiful header assist to Jessica Marshall who shot a rocket aimed just under the crossbar. Against most keepers the score would have been tied; however, the keeper for Mauldin (and I don't know if it was Curren or Morgan) made an absolutely wonderful save by deflecting it over the goal.

Several notes. First, as has occurred a lot this season Lexington had opportunities but couldn't convert. Second, Mauldin is a wonderful team -- relatively small but fast. I thought that Lexington for the most part had better athletes but that Mauldin had better soccer players -- they played fast, clean, and simple and their defensive fundamentals were very sound. Most Mauldin players were able to play at a faster pace than Lexington's players -- and I thought that the Mauldin coach did a good job of creating a defensive system that focused on preventing Lexington's strengths and uncovered weaknesses in Lexington's style of play.

Since I know more of the kids from TL Hanna I'll be rooting for them on Friday; but it will be a tough test. I wish the best for the players and coaches of both teams.

P.S. Every fiber of my being wants to complain about the handball in the box not called in the first half -- but it is what it is -- and in a long game Mauldin proved themselves to be the better team last night.
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:06 PM
[quote
Great Game for 62 minutes, neither team could penetrate each other's defenses, ball control was probably 55%-45% in Wando's favor (as a biased SV parent -- the Wando familiar officials helped tip it in Wando's favor) The #12 managed to sneak behind our defense, (while one of our defender's had been sub'ed out due to injuries) and she was able to beat Jamie on one to one - great goal #12. SV then tried to pull it back, but could not. GOOD GAME WANDO, the European style play was tough on our smaller framed ladies. The SV ladies played what I say was there best game this season, and they should be very proud how they clicked and work as a single team.

I agree.…..this was a GREAT game. (As a biased Wando parent---I’m thinking where is the love from the ref for the home team???) Either way the refs did not make the difference in the game.

SV played a great game and should hold their heads high. We expected SV to come in and give us a great game and they did. I noticed they are young and will be a force to be reckoned with next season, too. They don’t need parent excuses:
*The refs were for Wando
*#12 was sneaky
*We were injured
*Wando plays a European style that was tough on us
*SV is smaller

The difference in this game…..the last 18 minutes the Wando girls TURNED ON THE OFFENSE. They played fabulous the entire game, but the last 18 minutes, WOW, they really attacked the goal! Good job girls, you earned this win.
Posted By: goal08 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 01:16 PM
JIMBO-

There was no disrespect- there has been issues with the sprinkler system and a short in the system. The issue has been turned over to county maintenance with no response. This is the second time that the sprinklers have gone off with no explination. Sorry!!

Good game.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:33 PM
Quote:

[quote

I agree.…..this was a GREAT game. (As a biased Wando parent---I’m thinking where is the love from the ref for the home team???) Either way the refs did not make the difference in the game.

SV played a great game and should hold their heads high. We expected SV to come in and give us a great game and they did. I noticed they are young and will be a force to be reckoned with next season, too. They don’t need parent excuses:
*The refs were for Wando
*#12 was sneaky
*We were injured
*Wando plays a European style that was tough on us
*SV is smaller

The difference in this game…..the last 18 minutes the Wando girls TURNED ON THE OFFENSE. They played fabulous the entire game, but the last 18 minutes, WOW, they really attacked the goal! Good job girls, you earned this win.

I didn't take it as excuses. Being a little harsh?
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:41 PM
[quote
I didn't take it as excuses. Being a little harsh?

Now, Jr...isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:43 PM
No, that would be you fabricating something that isn't there
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 01:51 PM
It's all right there in print, no fabrication.
Posted By: soccerwatcher Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 01:53 PM
Quote:

The Pain Train:

Lexington 1 (pen) Mauldin 2 with overtime.
A breezy wind blowing diagonally across the field contributed to Mauldin having the better of the first half but no score. Lexington came out in the second half exerting terrific pressure with individual players making excellent runs on the Mauldin goal for about the first 15 minutes, Mauldin were defending magnificently. Gradually the Lexington pressure eased as Lexington players started cramping and they began to look tired.

Mauldin proved to be the fittest team and took the game to Lexington, eventually scoring a goal that may have been marginally offside. With 7 minutes left the Mauldin goalie made a one handed full stretch save, the chasing Lexington player tried to carry the ball with her momentum into the net but the goalie held firm. The Lexington player fell over the ball and duly got the penalty and scored subsequent goal and the goalie got a yellow card. The ref restarted the game with the two girls still exchanging jerseys. Full time 1-1.

In overtime Mauldin deserved a penalty for a trip from behind on the freshman center forward when she broke free and was going past the goalie. Mauldin then scored a cracking goal from a seeming impossible angle late in the first half and held onto the lead.

A clean hard fought game with a full seasons worth of drama and excitement all rolled into this one game.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:10 PM
[quote I agree.…..this was a GREAT game. (As a biased Wando parent---I’m thinking where is the love from the ref for the home team???) Either way the refs did not make the difference in the game.

Good job girls, you earned this win.

I agree...Wando was the better team, and yet SV held up..and I am still a biased SV parent. Thanks for hosting and putting up with us. Next year we move to upstate, so we will have to insure we met Wando in the finals, and we should have 10 sophomores, 2 freshman will be older and wiser after playing last night. No excuses, but #12 did a great job getting behind our defense..look at our record, and the only team to have scored two goals against us in regular play has been Wando!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:16 PM
Quote:

[quote I agree.…..this was a GREAT game. (As a biased Wando parent---I’m thinking where is the love from the ref for the home team???) Either way the refs did not make the difference in the game.

Good job girls, you earned this win.

I agree...Wando was the better team, and yet SV held up..and I am still a biased SV parent. Thanks for hosting and putting up with us. Next year we move to upstate, so we will have to insure we met Wando in the finals, and we should have 10 sophomores, 2 freshman will be older and wiser after playing last night. No excuses, but #12 did a great job getting behind our defense..look at our record, and the only team to have scored two goals against us in regular play has been Wando!

if im not mistaken you move into a region with rock hill,south point and lancaster next year.you will not have to much trouble keeping teams out of your goal next year either!
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:21 PM
Quote:

Next year we move to upstate, so we will have to insure we met Wando in the finals,

Watch out Region IV! I wouldn't be surprised to see a SV/Wando final in '09.

Disclaimer: No disrespect meant to any other team in contention for the '09 final.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 02:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Next year we move to upstate, so we will have to insure we met Wando in the finals,

Watch out Region IV! I wouldn't be surprised to see a SV/Wando final in '09.

Disclaimer: No disrespect meant to any other team in contention for the '09 final.

how many players will wando graduate this year.i only know 2 players on the team and one is a sr.
Posted By: 202677 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:55 PM
Great game for B'wood last night. I have a new favorite player in Alexis Allen! She's fast and awesome! Great atmosphere last night too!
Posted By: Bengal #11 Re: 2nd Round scores - 05/08/08 02:56 PM
Agreed
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:06 PM
Wando graduates six seniors.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:16 PM
Quote:

Were they all starters ?
I also noticed #20 a freshman starting and playing most of the game. I had her on my daughter's team when she was 7-12 years old. It was great watching her play.
Posted By: MUDDYWATERS03 Re: Wando & Spring Valley *DELETED* - 05/08/08 03:25 PM
Post deleted by FREEHOLD
Posted By: goal08 Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:28 PM
SCHSL website brackets say Waccamaw won 11-0
Posted By: MUDDYWATERS03 Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:31 PM
thanks i found it
Posted By: WandoFan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:40 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Were they all starters ?
I also noticed #20 a freshman starting and playing most of the game. I had her on my daughter's team when she was 7-12 years old. It was great watching her play.

At least 3, maybe 4 of the six are regular starters. Starting line up varies.
Thanks,the freshman is a pleasure to watch.
Posted By: swimmer2 Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:50 PM
This team reminds me of the potent Wando team of '04 that marched through the playoffs. Both teams have great defense. '04 was very dominant on offense though
Posted By: SCISA sports fan Re: Wando & Spring Valley - 05/08/08 03:53 PM
Congratulations to Socastee on a very good season and a great effort against a Hilton Head High team that looked like they might be looking ahead last night.

Socastee scored about 10 minutes in to take a 1-0 lead. It was first time Hilton Head has trailed since March 13 according to Island Packet.

Hilton Head scored two goals by Abby Fennessey to retake the lead and led 3-2 going into halftime. The Seahawks regrouped at halftime and came out firing like a shotgun in the second half. Problem was, their aim was just like a shotgun. They hit everything but their target. Socastee tried opening up their offense, but three goals in the second half (including one more by Fennessey) put the game away.

Final shot totals:
Hilton Head 31
Socastee 4

Fennessey's hat trick gives her 18 for the season.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 05:23 PM
I can't believe that no one out there, on either side, is offering up a recap of the Dorman - South Aiken match!?!?

Has a gag order been issued (conspiracy theorist)?

Thank God for goupstate.com or we here in York County would all be in the dark!

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080507/NEWS/479453913/1018/SPORTS

Wow! Offensive explosion by Dorman's Dynamic Duo!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 05:35 PM
All that defensive, hang in their close, grind out the win strategy went out the window pretty early. I wish I had a video of that game...amazing.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 05:49 PM
Hurst,

Great article. Thanks for providing it. It's great to see girls' high school sports coverage. Dorman is fortunate in that regard.
Congratulations to Dorman. Sounds like they have a great team. I had never heard of the two sophomores that were spoken about. Does anyone know what club, if any, they play for? Also, congrats to S. Aiken on an impressive season. I know South Aiken will be a 3A powerhouse with all their young talent and a good coach, too.

One quote by Zongrone that really caught my attention was about the team chemistry she said Dorman has. I have heard people associated with club soccer claim that team chemistry tends to be over-rated. I believe that in high school soccer, team chemistry is under-rated.

Good luck to all the teams left in the play-offs. Play hard, play cleanly, and leave it all with no regrets.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 05:52 PM
Joe Lorenz is under-appreciated. Outstanding and meticulous.
Posted By: uihwki Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 06:46 PM
Both of the Dorman sophomores (Walker and Miller) play club soccer for Carolina FC in Spartanburg
Posted By: SCISA sports fan Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 08:10 PM
Hurst

The answer about the player that you asked me about is none. She plays on no club teams.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/08/08 08:27 PM
you recruiting Hurst???? according to what some of these other people cry about i guess you have gone to work for cesa.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/09/08 12:31 AM
Down with hurst!
Posted By: lfc Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/09/08 01:40 AM
SCISA Fan -

If you are talking about Hurst's favorite HH player, you are mistaken.
Posted By: CJ Re: Dorman - South Aiken - 05/09/08 01:52 AM
Quote:

Joe Lorenz is under-appreciated. Outstanding and meticulous.

I am glad you said that. Josef has no ego yet he expects the best from his girls and gets it. I learn a lot when talking to him and appreciate his willingness to help out a rookie coach.
Posted By: TS Playoff Score - 05/09/08 02:05 AM
SCISA Semifinal
@ St. Joseph's

Hammond - 1
St. Joseph's - 0

Hammond plays Hilton Head Prep in championship game Saturday 10am at Heathwood Hall.
DORMAN 1 HANNA 0

Congratulations to Dorman and good luck Sat.
Coach Smith is confused, we should pray for him. Careful on the SCHSL site. They had Dorman beating Hanna 7-0. I sent them an email asking them to get information from creditable sources in the future. Of course, that knocks me out but still
Junior,

Are you in Anderson or Roebuck tonight?
A-town. Gotta show the love to old friends. Don't get lost once you get on campus. We thought we were playing at Game field 17 but it was actually Game field 41.
Probably already been reported, but SCISA 3A Semifinals
Ben Lippen-1
@ Hilton Head Prep-4

Goals:
Carrie Settle - BL 37:40; Kathleen Blum (2) - HHP 4:45 & 58:45; Alexandra Fuller (2) - HHP 23:55 & 39:10
Saves:
Anne Armstrong (BL) - 12; Becky DeRose (HHP) - 6

We never fully got off the bus. A disappointing end to a great season. We won our first region championship (co-champs w/ St. Joe's), advanced to the semifinals again, and played toe-to-toe with some excellent teams. Congratulations to HHP on a great game. They executed their game extremely well and should be congratulated on an excellent game. They definitely were the better team. Their team speed really caught us off guard, and our offense couldn'te execute efficiently. We made some good passes, but HHP always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. HHP lived up to their reputation as physical and fast. I believe they will have their hands full with a Hammond team that is playing great soccer right now. That should be a good game. I wish we could have given them a better game, I really believe we could have beaten them with our best game, but we didn't. They outplayed us as a team. They beat us. Congratulations.

I'm extremely proud of my girls, their great season, their hard work, and all that we accomplished this year. We started slow, finished well, and just didn't get the result we were hoping for. We will miss our three seniors. They were wonderful! We've got a fantastic group coming back and I can't wait for next year! Enjoy the offseason girls, work hard, and come out next year ready to give your best again!
Riverside 7, Blythewood 0

Absolutely the worst Center Ref I have ever seen in HS, Club, Premier or Rec! Unfortunately he took the game completely away from the girls. If there was "ANY" contact, he would call a foul! Very unfortunate that someone like this would call any soccer game, much less a quarter final game!!!!!
At Pawleys Island

Waccamaw 7

Wade Hampton 0
Forgot to say Shots on Goal Riverside 23 Blythewood 0
7' to go

TLH 2
Mauldin 1
2 left, tied up
I strongly disagree with soccercrazy. The ref did the right thing after RHS unnecessarily roughed up some Blythewood girls early in the first half. He had to call it more tightly to prevent the game from getting out of control. He succeeded. The players' safety is every ref's top priority. The Warriors dominated the game and would have won with less physical style.
JL Mann 2
Wade Hampton 0
Summerville - 4
James Island - 1

there is no fear
Mauldin 3
TLH 2

2nd OT

Officials escorted out by police after some upsetting calls to both sides. The report I got was that both sides were getting some rough deals, not just one side. I'm sure we've got some parents that'll give us more info.
Does anyone know the score of the Bishop England/Academic Magnet Game?
Dorman 1
Fort Mill 0

Sudden death.
@ Eagle Stadium
West Columbia, SC

Airport 0:1 Brookland-Cayce (Cayla Fralick)

Congratulations Lady Bearcats!!!
Class 3A Lower State Quarterfinals
Hilton Head 1-0 Chapin (from cell phone reports)

If true, then B-C @ Hilton Head on Monday, May 12.
Yes - Hilton Head 1 and Chapin 0
Anyone have the Wando - Ridgeview results?
Woodruff 5
West Oak 1
@ Wando -
WANDO - 3
Ridgeview - 0

Goal #1 - Jessie Waters, Assist Jennifer Riley
Goal #2 - Sally Hyland, Assist Olivia Urig
Goal #3 - Sally Hyland, Assist ??

Shutout - Jade Davis
Airport 0
BC 1

Good luck to BC on Monday
Great game between BC and Airport, intense game to watch.
Bishop England 4
Academic Magnet 0

0-0 First 35 minutes
2-0 Half
if you didnt see the airport - bc game, you missed one of the best girls matches of the season, certainly one of the best ive seen.

how did the chapin - hilton head game go? intense?
At Dorman, in the 105th minute, Lady Cavs are given (another) direct kick and this one connects. Aubrey Danielson, sophomore midfielder according to the PA announcer. A very intense match. Too good a match, really, to be decided in such a manner, but ref's judgement rules. What can u do?
Anyway, Fort Mill gets my vote for the #5 spot in the final poll.
...as opposed to their first of the match?
Mauldin 3 J L Hanna 2,
What a game, two thrillers in a row for Mauldin, both including overtimes and both on away fields.

There was a strong breeze blowing from end to end, Mauldin played against it in the first half. In the first minute an intended clearance to the side line by Mauldin, was caught by the wind and the ball curled back over the back line for a corner. A beautifully taken corner and a very strong header straight into the net, one goal up for Hanna. For the rest of the half Mauldin had territorial advantage and the Hanna goalie was busy but not severely tested.

At the start of the second half Mauldin, with the wind behind them, worked their way time after time into the Hanna penalty area, one shot hit the top corner of the goal and after about ten minutes into the half the inevitable happened, a Mauldin corner, the ball was bobbled around in the area and freshman Gracie Boswell headed it into the net. Mauldin supporters anticipated that due to their teams dominance a few more goals would be forthcoming, however as the second half neared completion and no more goals had been scored the momentum of the game changed. A throw in near the Mauldin goal line, a Hanna player got the ball, kept good control dribbled around a couple of defenders, the subsequent shot beat Mauldin's very excellent goalie, Curren Smith and with seven minutes to go Mauldin were again playing catch up and struggling. With a minute or so to go a corner for Mauldin, taken short to unmarked Leah Young, who seeming very deliberately took the ball to front edge of the penalty area and then unleashed a shot which could have ended the war in Afghanistan. The ball rose in a screaming trajectory which took it over the advancing goalie's extended hands and then it dipped to skim just under the bar and it bulged in the back of the net. The score was equal 2-2.

The first and second period of overtime were equal or perhaps marginally in Hanna's favor, however in the last minute Gracie Boswell repeated the movements of the last third of her regular season goal against Hanna on the same field. This time around, she got the ball on the sideline edge of the penalty area ran into the area and again sent a looping bending ball well over the Hanna goalie and into the far corner of the net. Mauldin 3 Hanna 2. The kick off and then the final whistle

Both teams will remember this game for a long time. Mauldin finished the game bruised, battered and proud. Will this be repeated yet again in Mondays play-off, is it possible to have three such games in a row?
Props to WHS GIRLS and coach Fernando Gomez on Getting the Girls Back to the Upper State. :-)
Quote:

Mauldin 3 J L Hanna 2,
What a game, two thrillers in a row for Mauldin, both including overtimes and both on away fields.

There was a strong breeze blowing from end to end, Mauldin played against it in the first half. In the first minute an intended clearance to the side line by Mauldin, was caught by the wind and the ball curled back over the back line for a corner. A beautifully taken corner and a very strong header straight into the net, one goal up for Hanna. For the rest of the half Mauldin had territorial advantage and the Hanna goalie was busy but not severely tested.

At the start of the second half Mauldin, with the wind behind them, worked their way time after time into the Hanna penalty area, one shot hit the top corner of the goal and after about ten minutes into the half the inevitable happened, a Mauldin corner, the ball was bobbled around in the area and freshman Gracie Boswell headed it into the net. Mauldin supporters anticipated that due to their teams dominance a few more goals would be forthcoming, however as the second half neared completion and no more goals had been scored the momentum of the game changed. A throw in near the Mauldin goal line, a Hanna player got the ball, kept good control dribbled around a couple of defenders, the subsequent shot beat Mauldin's very excellent goalie, Curren Smith and with seven minutes to go Mauldin were again playing catch up and struggling. With a minute or so to go a corner for Mauldin, taken short to unmarked Leah Young, who seeming very deliberately took the ball to front edge of the penalty area and then unleashed a shot which could have ended the war in Afghanistan. The ball rose in a screaming trajectory which took it over the advancing goalie's extended hands and then it dipped to skim just under the bar and it bulged in the back of the net. The score was equal 2-2.

The first and second period of overtime were equal or perhaps marginally in Hanna's favor, however in the last minute Gracie Boswell repeated the movements of the last third of her regular season goal against Hanna on the same field. This time around, she got the ball on the sideline edge of the penalty area ran into the area and again sent a looping bending ball well over the Hanna goalie and into the far corner of the net. Mauldin 3 Hanna 2. The kick off and then the final whistle

Both teams will remember this game for a long time. Mauldin finished the game bruised, battered and proud. Will this be repeated yet again in Mondays play-off, is it possible to have three such games in a row?

Classy post soccerwatcher. This one is still too raw for me to comment and not lose my cool so I will leave this as the official recap along with this article from the Anderson Independent.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/may/09/mauldin-beats-tl-hanna-2ot/

Good luck to Mauldin Monday against Dorman.
I will add that with the number of underclassmen on both Mauldin and Hanna's rosters look for some repeats of this kind of action for the next few years.
Dorman 1, Fort Mill 0 (3OT)

Here's the story from today's Rock Hill Herald. The only thing I would add is I thought Aubrey Danielson's game-winning free kick was closer to 40 yards, than 30 yards (we'll settle on 35).

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/prep/story/549111.html

Dorman is a very strong team and they completely pinned Fort Mill in their own end for the first 20 minutes of the match. I've been watching Fort Mill girls soccer for nine years and I haven't seem them under that kind of sustained pressure since 2002.

I'm sure Dorman's coach would have liked to have gotten a goal on the board during that period of time and he probably wasn't too happy with the Lady Cav's finishing.

Fort Mill made some necessary adjustments and did a great job of weathering the storm and getting back in the game. Just as Dorman had chances, Fort Mill earned some chances as well.

Dorman will be a tough out through the remainder of the playoffs. Fort Mill did a great job holding a team, that scored nine goals in their previous two playoff games, scoreless through 105 minutes. Lots of credit goes to the Fort Mill coach and all the Lady Jackets who gutted it out to keep a good team off the board for so long. They played with tremendous heart.

Good luck to Dorman, the Fort Mill faithful will be pulling for you, just as we pulled for Lexington the past two years. If we are going to get knocked out, we always want to lose to the eventual state champion.
Thanks redandblack,you and your family are miss
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Sarah Jacobs - 05/10/08 12:49 PM
I saw the injury to Sarah Jacobs on clean 1-on-1 ball during the Eastside game with about 10 minutes left, and watched as Sarah limped off the field. She didn't play against Blythewood in the next game, and from what I hear has meniscus or MCl damage.

Injuries are never good, but I personally respect Sarah Jacobs as much as any high school player I have ever watched. She is top ten in her class academically, top 1 in soccer, and is just one of the nicest young ladies you could ever watch play this wonderful game.

Sarah, from the opposing coach who told you I was voting for you for Player of the Year, hurt or not, I still am. Get well soon, young lady.

Can you imagine how good Riverside is if they can win 7-0 without their MVP? I get to watch it twice a year, and I guess Swansea is scheduling them soon so get ready Meredith..
From the Greenville News:

Walhalla 2
Christ Church 1

Decided in Sudden Death PK's

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...UPSTATESPORTS02
(edit: Forgot the link)

More details Goal08?
Quote:

From the Greenville News:

Walhalla 2
Christ Church 1

Decided in Sudden Death PK's

More details Goal08?

Article in the Greenville News says that CC was winning with 1 minute left and that Walhalla scored a goal (read the article to find out how). Sure it will be in the "News" forum this weekend.
I went over to West Columbia last night to watch the Airport/BC game. What a thriller! Great crowd, great atmosphere, and spirited play. That community really turns out for that rivalry.

I thought Airport had the better play the first 25 minutes of the game, but BC came on towards the end of the half. Early in the second half, BC really asserted themselves and pressured Airport and were finally rewarded. Then they just hung on for the win. Good game.

A couple of questions though. There must have been around 800 people there and no concession stands were open??? Also, why was Airport sitting on the BC side? Seemed strange. Lastly, whoever cut the lights off right after the game is a nimwit. I tripped over a stroller on my way out.

I bet that wouldn't happen after a football game.
HH 1
Chapin 0

WHAT A GAME!

Most of the game was played in the center of the field or towards the Chapin end Layla was quick off her line all night and easily scooped up everything inside the 18, Chapin relied on quick counters out of the back. Only 1 real scoring opportunity for either team in the 1st half came off a corner for HH...Layla came out hard for it and got taken down, Chapin was slow to clear, after the ball bounced around infront of the goal for what seemed like an eternity HH redirected it on goal Layla's quick reflexes were the only thing that saved a goal. In the second half it was more of the same HH had another almost identical corner with a redirect that Layla snagged off of the line. Chapin had 3 1v1 with the keeper and could not find the back of the net. HH's goal came with about 3 minutes to go from a beautiful ball played in and a great header that found the back of the net. Not sure who played it in but i think it was Sosa with the header.

HH had a player go down in about the 20th minute, scary situation and I still don't know what happened. It was away from from the play and no one was around her she stayed down for at least 5 minutes then was helped off the field. It was player #5 anyone know what happened?

All in all it was a great game, very physical (but clean), refs were not bad and let the play go maybe a slight home field advantage but it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Good luck to HH against BC. We'll see you again next year!
The AD. At Airport will get a call on monday.We also will be calling the district office .Why would anybody turn the lights off on 800 people.Any news on the Airport girl that got hurt late in the game . I think it was number 14 .
Quote:

A couple of questions though. There must have been around 800 people there and no concession stands were open??? Also, why was Airport sitting on the BC side? Seemed strange. Lastly, whoever cut the lights off right after the game is a nimwit. I tripped over a stroller on my way out.

I bet that wouldn't happen after a football game.

All i have to say is thats about right for airport. i bet half of the crowd (from both sides) was still in the stadium when the lights were turned off, but from what ive heard, the airport - bc rivalry is pretty hostile. that doesnt give reason to put the two teams in the dark though. luckily it didnt spoil the quality of the game. well fought by both sides, good match.
Quote:

I strongly disagree with soccercrazy. The ref did the right thing after RHS unnecessarily roughed up some Blythewood girls early in the first half. He had to call it more tightly to prevent the game from getting out of control. He succeeded. The players' safety is every ref's top priority. The Warriors dominated the game and would have won with less physical style.

Very physical to say the least. Despite the score, I can say that the Lady Bengals have class. This is more than I can say about Riverside. Good luck to all in the upper and lower state games.
Sancho--it was not the AD that cut out the lights. We had a break down in communication in that the assistant coach who usually does the lights was tending to his daughter #14. Not all the lights were supposed to be turned off, but we did want to turn off a couple of lights to allow the crowds on both sides to disperse and let the ambulance and medical staff do their stuff. Believe me--the blackout was not intentional and if we could have turned the lights back on immediately--we would have--for both sides' fans and for the incoming ambulance. No disrespect was intended for the BC fans or teams.
Good luck to BC on Monday vs HH.
Thanks Mr. Morris how is the young Lady Today.
Good coverage of the HH - Chapin match in the local paper.

http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/local/story/494568.html

Soccerpop is not giving the Chapin keeper enough credit, HH had many more than one or two good scoring opportunities that were thwarted by Ms. Neal. Pressure was applied by HH a great majority of the time, but she (and her defenders) stood up to it throughout the match.

I am not certain which stoppage Soccerpop was asking about. Iulo was kicked hard in the knee (not the one that she was wearing a brace on), and Fennessy had a busted lip when she was cut going after a high ball (they tended to her for a while to stop the bleeding, but she returned). Taylor was dizzy and light-headed, but it had nothing to do with any play on the field - she broke her nose in practice a few weeks ago and the concern was that she reinjured it, but it turned out to be nothing. All three players returned to play at some point in the match (and I believe all three were on the field at the final whistle).

Chapin is a well-coached, disciplined and hard-working team - by far the best at those three attributes that I have seen in a while. HH created many more opportunities to score, but that match could have easily gone either way. Chapin knew their strengths and played them very well - proof of good coaching and smart, disciplined, committed players. It was a pleasure watching them play and a shame that their season ended. I hope that they do not lose many seniors, because I would love to see them play again.
Congrats to Hilton Head. Looks like they were pushed to the limit by a hot goalkeeper and a fine team.

keep your head up chapin, you had a great season.
RE: Hanna v Mauldin, from the perspective of the handful of Daniel parents and players that went to watch... we saw some great soccer, lots of drama, some bad calls, and some bad no-calls. But the highlight had to be CJ running down the sideline, jumping in the air, pumping his fists after Caitlin scored in the second half. It is a pleasure to watch a coach become a cheerleader, showing his spirit and support of his players (wish we had that).
A disappointing loss for the Lady Jackets, but as CJ said, with all that youth, they will be in contention for several more years.
Quote:

Thanks Mr. Morris how is the young Lady Today.

Released from the hospital late last night/early AM. A pretty good concussion. She does not remember last night at all. I hope she still remembers the Calculus I taught her! Thanks for the inquiry.
Morris teaching Calculus, Now that is a funny thought! You know you watch study hall kids like I do, don't lie
I will try and be brief, but I cannot resist making a few more comments about Chapin girls.

First, most teams that have to travel all the way down into our remote area of the state ask for an earlier start time so that they can get home before the sun rises. Our first clue that HH was in for a fight was when Chapin requested a later starting time so that several (and from what I saw, probably most) of their players could finish their AP exams before leaving for the match.

Second, I do not want to give the keeper too much credit and take away from the rest of the team, but she has skills that go well beyond her obvious size and athleticism. I tend to watch the defense more in any match and I never saw her out of position or misplay a ball. I believe that the local paper said that she was drawn out on the play that HH scored, but that was not the case. The cross from Sosa was high and perfectly placed just inside the far post (no more than a yard or two inside the goal line). Natoli had at least one defender inside of her that was inches from taking the cross and Natoli just got a little higher faster - not bad defense by either the keeper or the defender. The entire Chapin team (all 11 on the field) played outstanding defense throughout the match, but the keeper made some plays that went beyond size or athleticism. She was smart, quick and had a feel for the game that few players have. One of the HH parents usually tapes the matches and I am definitely going to see if I can get a copy of this one after the season.

Lastly, and a little off topic, I also had the opportunity to watch the keeper from Hammond play HH Prep earlier in the week. She too was simply outstanding. I guess that we have to give some credit to the coaching and training, but there must be something in the water in the midlands.

I have always had a great deal of respect for the teams out of the Columbia/Lexington/midlands area, but I am starting to get jealous of their fans. They obviously have far more fun during the season than we do way down here.

It is really not like me to gush, but sometimes I feel that something has to be said or it bugs me until it is off of my chest. Thanks for letting me rattle on.
Junior,

Study hall? I thought they only entrusted you with watching the kids in ISS?
To lfc: Lastly, and a little off topic, I also had the opportunity to watch the keeper from Hammond play HH Prep earlier in the week. She too was simply outstanding.

Hammond girls did not play HHP until today.

That game ended HHP 2 - Hammond 1.
All scores came from kicks from fouls.
It was a very even match.
HHP takes state title.
Quote:

RE: Hanna v Mauldin, from the perspective of the handful of Daniel parents and players that went to watch... we saw some great soccer, lots of drama, some bad calls, and some bad no-calls. But the highlight had to be CJ running down the sideline, jumping in the air, pumping his fists after Caitlin scored in the second half. It is a pleasure to watch a coach become a cheerleader, showing his spirit and support of his players (wish we had that).
A disappointing loss for the Lady Jackets, but as CJ said, with all that youth, they will be in contention for several more years.

Thanks for coming NP, That was a great atmosphere last night.

sigh
Quote:

Junior,

Study hall? I thought they only entrusted you with watching the kids in ISS?

The blind leading the blind is frowned on severely by the school district.
My apologies, it was the Cardinal Newman keeper that I saw earlier this week.
Just wondered who you saw.
That was Amy Kolowsky, SCISA 3A -Region II keeper of the year.
She is very good.
Quote:

To lfc: Lastly, and a little off topic, I also had the opportunity to watch the keeper from Hammond play HH Prep earlier in the week. She too was simply outstanding.

Hammond girls did not play HHP until today.

That game ended HHP 2 - Hammond 1.
All scores came from kicks from fouls.
It was a very even match.
HHP takes state title.

A great soccer match today that was almost ruined by the officials and the parents on both sides. I was embarrassed by what was going on both ways. I literally had to go stand next to the snow cone machine to get away from the parents on both sides.

The officials were way too involved. Neither penalty kick should have been awarded. The goal that Fuller scored with about 10 minutes to go on the free kick from about 25 yards was a thing of beauty.

Both teams played extremely hard. Congratulations to Hammond on a great season and Congratulations to HH Prep on their third straight state title.
Quote:

Just wondered who you saw.
That was Amy Kolowsky, SCISA 3A -Region II keeper of the year.
She is very good.

I was on here praising Amy earlier this week. If I was a club coach, I would be trying to hunt that girl down.
She has played for the same CLUB for several years now. I work with her dad, and have watched several of her games.

91 Girls Elite, crowned State Champions at this year’s SCYSA Challenge Cup, will represent South Carolina at the Region III Championship in Raleigh in June 2008.
friday was the first time i had ever been to Dorman.place was awsome.i think i will go back monday night.it is kind of like disney.takes 2 weeks to see it all.im not sure about the beacon again.im still full from the chili bacon cheeseburger A-pleanty.
Also a lot like Disney in that it required a shuttle to get from the parking lot to the playground. (I think we parked in "Pluto"?)

A soccer stadium that nice should also have a concession stand. I know that Mr. Morrison had his fill at The Beacon but I could have used a Diet Coke.
I checked out the Airport-BC game on Friday and thought the atmosphere was great, but the Airport stadium really makes you feel removed from the game. I sat on the press box side and burned up for about 1/2 an hour until the sun went down.

Great game to watch and two very good teams. I thought Airport had the play for the first 1/2 hour but BC came on at the end of the first half. In the second half it was all BC and the goal they scored was bound to happen. Several of the Airport parents were lamenting aloud about how hard it was to beat a team three times. I don't know who scored for BC but it was a solid goal and deserved. Whoever BC had on #3 for Airport did a great job.

After the game Airport left immediately and BC celebrated. Then the lights went out! Why? I had to use my cigarette lighter to find my way to the car. Otherwise a fun night for girls soccer.
The Brookland-Cayce goal was scored by senior Cayla Fralick.

Fralick had the game-winning goal as a freshman in the 2005 Lowerstate Final, during the Lady Bearcats' State Championship campaign!
Quote:

I checked out the Airport-BC game on Friday and thought the atmosphere was great, but the Airport stadium really makes you feel removed from the game. I sat on the press box side and burned up for about 1/2 an hour until the sun went down.

Great game to watch and two very good teams. I thought Airport had the play for the first 1/2 hour but BC came on at the end of the first half. In the second half it was all BC and the goal they scored was bound to happen. Several of the Airport parents were lamenting aloud about how hard it was to beat a team three times. I don't know who scored for BC but it was a solid goal and deserved. Whoever BC had on #3 for Airport did a great job.

After the game Airport left immediately and BC celebrated. Then the lights went out! Why? I had to use my cigarette lighter to find my way to the car. Otherwise a fun night for girls soccer.

That was already addressed in other postings. Search and you'll find it. I would think a long celebration on someone else's field probably isn't the best thing to be doing when considering sportsmanship.
Quote:

Also a lot like Disney in that it required a shuttle to get from the parking lot to the playground. (I think we parked in "Pluto"?)

A soccer stadium that nice should also have a concession stand. I know that Mr. Morrison had his fill at The Beacon but I could have used a Diet Coke.
[/quote

it sure wasnt a small world.
at my age the bathroom could of been closer.but why complain about a place that nice.i would love to have that pitch for a front yard.no dirt spots like mine.
Quote:

I would think a long celebration on someone else's field probably isn't the best thing to be doing when considering sportsmanship.

I wouldn't view B-C's celebration as "long", when there were still a good number of Airport players and supporters in the stadium. I'm going to believe CoachMorris' call on that it was a "miscommunication" as Coach Shumpert was tending to his daughter's injury.

Well played by both teams though, definitely a great atmosphere for high school soccer.
If you don't want emotion in a big time game GO PLAY INTRAMURALS BROTHER!!!!!! ITS THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDIN ME!!!! I don't buy the miscommunication of the lights crap!!!! All those people there why would you turn off any light in the stadium!!!!
Airport girls and fans were there, too. No one would purposely do that to their own. Are those...one dollar bills?
One question is will B/C be ready for HH (at HH)especially after a very emotion and tough win over a very close rival in just 3 nights?
I think the girls will be ready!!! What do they have to lose!!!! Those aren't dollars my friend!!! Gotta make it rain!!!
The lights are always turned out really quick at airport after soccer games. Never anything personal just the way thinks are.
And thats for both genders playing
Mauldin 1 Dorman 0

A one handed, full stretch save by Mauldin's goalie Curran Smith, a clearance off the goal line by Mauldin defender Leah Young and a set piece goal from a corner, by Mauldin's goal scoring machine, Sarah Schaidle and you have the difference in these two teams nicely summed up. Last night it was the defenders who dominated, the play generally took place on both sides of the center line, as play progressed, we knew one goal would win it. These are two powerful teams, both well coached, both very fit, both fully committed and both understand the nuances of the game. Mauldin extracted revenge when it really mattered for two consecutive defeats on penalties by Dorman.

What also needs comment is the excellent officiating, the best I have seen in high school soccer for as long as I can remember. The officials let the game flow, they were not concerned with trivia offenses and were even handed in their application of the rules. There was a good sprinkling of high school students and the officiating was so good that the student complains were good humored and not emotional.

Finally the soccer facilities. A new, clean ground, an area set aside exclusively for soccer, including a level playing surface covered completely with beautiful real green grass ..... whatever next?.

Soccerwatcher,

This is a great recap of the game. The only thing I could add would be the wind at the beginning of the game did cause both teams some problems, but it didn't change the outcome. Both Keepers played great. Mauldin was able to clear the ball in the box and Dorman wasn't able to. The fans were great. The Mauldin boys up front were rowdy, but I thought the Dorman AD and resource officer kept everything in check without it being a distraction to the players.

Dorman is a great team and had a great season.
© SC Soccer