SC Soccer
We are going to try to have a JV team next year. Help an old guy out and let me know what you have learned or seen that helped.

Thanks!
Keep the numbers low enough to allow for meaningful playing time. No more than 16-18 maximum.
Always keep in mind that JV is about preparing for varsity -so work on fundamentals, fundamentals and then fundamentals. Also, keep in mind that the grade mix of jv programs can be substantially different from school to school. Some, with strong varsity programs, may have mainly 10th and 9th graders on jv and only a couple of 8th graders.Other schools with weaker varsity teams may have only a few 10th and 9th graders and be comprised mainly of 8th graders. So take your losses with a grain of salt in that case.
If they are not involved already, get them to play club soccer in the fall at any level available to them. Get something on the website at any local clubs you have and have their team managers spread the word. (Sorry I'm not sure where you are)
Get a flyer out NOW to the middle school and freshman so they can be involved in May tryouts. Start getting fit NOW. January is really too late to start. The top teams have players that play soccer all year long and show up in January already fit for the most part. Good luck!
Amen to playing club soccer (a tall order for many jv players who play fall sports). Summer small sided leagues and team camps, such as Furman, are also a good idea. The kids need to play.
Are JV teams allowed to go to team camp by the SCHSL?
RO&H , yes they can go to team camp, you get 10 days to practice/go to camp.
Be sure your JV coach and you run the same philosophy at practice and games. Whether that be similar practice format or formation - both will help. If varsity is running sweeper/stopper, you don't want the JV running a zone for example.
The majority of kids join a JV-team for socializing. You are at the first step of building a program at Blue Ridge. Many kids will show up who never played soccer before or at YMCA at best. It's important to make it fun so that they come back, but make sure they understand upfront that it will be hard work, too. Don't try to do it all yourself => Next year most schools will have varsity boys and varsity girls play doubleheaders, i.e. you can't be with your JV when you have a varsity match. This year I did both because we played doubleheaders JV and varsity girls which I much prefer over the new arrangement. Anyway, SCHSL provides reimbursement for one head coach and one assistant coach but not for one coach doing both jobs. Make sure you have the facilities without causing conflicts with Track & Field, Lacrosse, Varsity Girls Soccer, Varsity Boys Soccer,... Are uniforms budgeted? Is transportation available? I know of only three schools in Greenville County who have JV girls teams: Riverside, Eastside, Greenville. Other teams in the upstate can be found in Wren, Woodruff, Belton Honea Path, Daniel, Seneca, TL Hanna, Walhalla, Boiling Springs, Easley, Broome, Westside and Pendleton. Most have several club players. Be ready to lose every game by big margins (like we do) unless you want to introduce your varsity's Catenaccio style at JV already. But that's probably counter-productice to what you want to achieve on the long run. You can get an idea about the level of JV-girls soccer at the Easley JV-tournament April 25 - 26.
is it better to play tournaments only, regular season only, or a mixture in the first year of a JV existence?
We're in our second year of a JV program here, and I agree with what's been said so far. We're running an almost entirely 7th and 8th grade JV squad, and they are out there for the love of playing. It does help a LOT to have a JV coach who encourages both fun and commitment. They'll probably take some pretty hefty losses at first, but if you can make them feel proud of what they do accomplish, they'll keep coming back for more.

One good way to get things started is to let the high school players visit the middle school to talk to the players and drum up interest; let them see older role models who obviously enjoy the sport and take pride in playing, and they'll come. We had almost 25 come try out from the middle school alone this year, with a lot of returners from last year...I really like the direction the program is going right now!

Personally, I like a mixture of regular season and tournaments. The more games they can get in, the better; actually playing tends to be the most rewarding thing about the season. I'd try to pick the tournaments carefully, though...try to match them with teams of similar talent levels so they can feel competitive and get some good experience at the same time.

Also, let them get to know the varsity coaches and players; give them a good idea what they're building towards. If the varsity squad is something they look forward to being a part of eventually, they'll put the effort in to reach that goal. Overall, let them know that they're part of the program, with good things ahead of them. This is the time that they need to learn to love the game...it will pay off in effort later.
We have a middle school program which is getting better each year with numbers. 6th through 8th grade so we won't have 8th for JV. We would have 9th and maybe some 10th. Anyone good enough would play varsity - only had 17 tryout this year. We have 5 10th graders and 2 9th graders starting this year on varsity.

How many would you need to have varsity and JV? Seems to me that about 16-18 for each is the need. If I have less for JV, may do only tournaments. I plan to have letters, meetings with middle school this Friday, etc. to see if interest is 35 participants or above. We had 34 show up this year until we mentioned running 4 miles per day.

Thoughts?
I coach a middle school team. We have our meeting in October and have about 60 show up, but it is for both boys and girls. Last year we ran 2 miles at the beginning of conditioning everyday and I had just under 20 guys try out. This year I dropped it to a mile and we were back over 30. I have figured out that off season conditioning needs to be the conditioning that hides the fact that that they are getting into shape so that they will still show up at tryouts.

The biggest thing I tell all of my players and parents is that they need to get as many touches as possible. Play rec or club. Go to camps. Play soccer as much as possible. I am lucky that my school gets out at 2:30 and our practices are over by 4:30 which allows the kids to still go play if rec or club which again, gets them more touches and practice.
I think if you are trying to get a program started, you could use as few as 14 for JV. I think it would depend on the strength of the kids you do have, to decide how many you need. If my kids were one of only 11 that wanted to play, they would still want to play.

If you don't have enough show up, can you offer something after school for those kids that don't make varsity to build for next year?
If there were 11, we would have a team. I believe that JV probably starts out as desire and numbers develop as the kids see that it is fun and they are treated with class and respect. We'll see.
Anyone have experience in how much you spent on a JV team in your first year, second year, etc. so that we can do some planning?
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...STATESPORTS0213

Miss Hooker is a unique young lady, and so is her mom.

With a team making strides like the Tigers have, who wouldn't want to be a part of that?
Vanessa is very coaches' dream player. You have to love a kid who will play any position, takes care of her brothers and sisters, is respectful, kind, tough, can play, and thanks you every time you talk to her.

First class, respectful, makes coaching worth every minute.

She has helped create something special at Blue Ridge.
I am coaching at a school that told us we could not have a JV team, which i think is ridiculous. Both the boys coach and I decided not to have cuts, so we can get some of these kids back (especially for the girls). It has really hurt us over all in building some of the young players-9th and 10th graders-who have never played soccer before or have little skill.
Fundamentals is key for these young players, and if you can scrimmage the varsity teams to get the JV prepared for the faster pace of a Varsity game. I know my kids are having a difficult time when we play quality teams in regards to the pace and skill of those players.
It is disappointing that the school is holding back kids from playing as we can dip into the middle school for varsity and see what is out there and coming up.
What can you do when Football is KING!
Quote:

How many would you need to have varsity and JV? Seems to me that about 16-18 for each is the need. If I have less for JV, may do only tournaments. I plan to have letters, meetings with middle school this Friday, etc. to see if interest is 35 participants or above. We had 34 show up this year until we mentioned running 4 miles per day.

Thoughts?

I don't believe you need 4 miles a day of running. One or two miles would be fine, and use the extra time playing fast paced small sided games instead. The anaerobic benefits of the small sided game will better prepare the players, and they won't realize they are getting a workout.

A 13 or 14 player jv team is great. The kids want to play!

For example, my son plays on the jv team of a small independent school. It is not a powerhouse program. However, as a young, middle school player, he is getting lots of playing time. His team was recently defeated by school with a stronger program, which had 6 or 7 players on the bench. A member of the other team, a good young player whom my son knows from club ball, told him after the game that he lucky to be on a team where he got so much playing time. To that player, who had spent much of the game on the bench, getting playing time was as important as the win.
Quote:

Anyone have experience in how much you spent on a JV team in your first year, second year, etc. so that we can do some planning?

No budgets or costs from anyone? Would be a great help.
I would think the biggest cost would be uniforms, do you have old ones you can hand down? Do you have money for the extra coach? Travel,entry fees, who pays? Will you be able to play the same day and site as varsity or other days( bus driver and gas money)? Who pays for the Refs, gate workers etc. Then, will you need more practice equipment? Lots of questions but they will telll you how much money you will need next year. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Coach J. We will probably use our assistant coach as the JV coach. We now have unis, and could buy a new varsity set and have great JV unis. We have a support base among parents this year that probably would help with financial backing and cover us. We would have to cover all costs which is why we're trying to determine them.
Thanks again for the good thoughts.
You can look for about $110-130 or so for officials per home game, depending on mileage and how many they send. Transportation to away games won't be too much different with fuel and bus driver pay. You'll need practice equipment, especially plenty of balls...Epic Sports actually sells one of the better practice balls I've used for about $6 each plus shipping. They've lasted better and had a nicer touch than some we've paid twice as much for. I also invested in a couple of flat practice goals for about $550 each...cheaper than regular goals, and you can play both sides at once. Divide a field in half by putting one of those between two regular goals, and you've effectively got four goals for the price of three...two teams can practice with two goals each.

If I think of anything else I'll add...
IT's a good idea to play as much as possible. LEt your kids know it is okay if they are not that strong at first because you have to build the program. The more they play, the more comfortable they will be as a team. It's also great for team bonding to play in tournaments.
A shared vision between the varsity staff and JV players as well as the team supporters is vital. Either path that is picked by the program needs this. Player development which can be simply a buzz word, has many different meanings to everyone.
The path we chose at Berkeley was to challenge them to get better individually. I believe working as a team is an individual skill. Too many times "team work" is attempted to cover weaknesses, which is understandable but not the final solution.
Everyone on my team plays in every game. It forces me as a coach to step up my game and not have a weakest link. My least talented player will be on the field when her rotation comes up regardless the score.
The little big thing this year that I am proud of....the girls are asking for soccer balls and jerseys for birthday gifts. They know who the WNT players are. One dislikes wearing our blue jersey because she is a River fan. They know what certain moves are and they challenge each other to juggling duals. Everyone on the team made A/B honor roll this past report card.
Quote:

Everyone on my team plays in every game. It forces me as a coach to step up my game and not have a weakest link. My least talented player will be on the field when her rotation comes up regardless the score.

And your record is? I thought that in high school, you started placing an emphasis on winning, not just fielding a team.
His record is, as the varsity coach, exactly what I want it to be...high player turnout, high player commitment, serious development of individual skills, smiles and love of the game on young players' faces who are already looking forward to proving themselves at the varsity level, and already moving up freshmen to varsity this year who have had a major positive impact on our performance.

Going for win/loss record at the JV level at the expense of developing happy, dedicated, and well-trained players for varsity would be incredibly short-sighted. I've watched this young group get better and better as the season has progressed, and I'm pleased.

'Nuff said.
Nike Legend you are 100% correct sir. Winning is king and we will get there. For the record my record is 0-9 this year. Last year my record was 0-8-1. The match outcomes I take full responsibility for. They get full credit for making A/B Honor Roll.
As for the quote I stand by what I say "It forces me to step up my game". I still have as all teams have weak links, my objective is to reinforce these "opportunities for improvement" that I have.
First, I have to say: what a great thread! This is how this message board should be used.

One additional item that occurs to me: decide how you will handle any club / school conflicts. Will players be allowed or encouraged to play for club and school? How will conflicts be resolved?

My son's jv team supports his club participation, and vice versa. As a result, he plays a lot of soccer. So far, so good; the two programs have complemented each other, each providing components missing from the other.
Quote:

And your record is? I thought that in high school, you started placing an emphasis on winning, not just fielding a team.

One more comment...you are about half right. At the JV level, you place an emphasis on development and learning HOW to win, not just "fielding a team." Just because a team of 7th and 8th graders isn't winning right now doesn't mean they're not making great strides in learning how...and one of those strides is learning how to BE a team and not try to cut each other's throats just to get a short-time win. They support each other through thick and thin now, there will be a lot more options and support for them when they move up and I start counting on them to win.
Coach Chass I agree completely with you. I encourage winning, who doesn't. But from the beginning of tryouts till the very last game, I try to build a "team". The greatest joy I had this season was when the team actually celebrated together as a team. We had won a preseason tournament and even beat a big rival on PK's but there was no support or celebration when doing so. Finally as they won the last game on PK's the celebrated as a team, twice. That is the biggest thing that they need to learn. No matter what is going on they need to support each other and "BE" a team.
I guess I don't understand "winning".

I have heard young ladies with four weeks left in a soccer season say, "I can't wait for this to get over." Once, on an "undefeated" team.

I have young ladies this year on a 10-7 team who say, "Man, this is fun. We have learned so much. I didn't realize that individual defense had five parts. I can Shadow! Make sure no one gets hurt on the team we are playing (heard in the team huddle before a game the other night."

Young ladies who are capable of playing with ruthless fury, step off the pitch after practice and after a game, and feel better about themselves - that's what I thought winning was.

Before you nail me, I have won many, many times as a young athlete, coach, and player. Might have learned more about "winning" this year as an old man than I ever did as a "winner" in the past.

Coach Chass and Coach Tim - we will implement your thoughts in our new JV program. You are winners.
Thanks to everyone for the great input on this forum. It's all printed, read, and will be taken into play next year when we start our JV program hopefully. Please feel free to add any additional thoughts or advice.

Thanks again.

Rollie Sumwalt
Head Women's Soccer Coach
Blue Ridge High School
Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!
Looking forward to hearing great things about your team...and I'm not just talking about the scoreboard. Keep us posted!
If the Jv program idea is to be the learning ground for varsity then a few short term goals would be nice as well.
I implemented a measuring device a few years ago that my kids still compete in. See how many players can juggle a ball allowing it to bounce on the ground once and touch it up once about chest high. We have a player did 1001 and ended with a shot on goal. My Jv girls have tried to knock her record off, closest so far is 400. Counting out loud adds pressure and competition.
I also use a GPS and record distance and top speed they love setting the record on that. Plus I show them the area that they cover in a game and it always amazes them.
Like many have said before work on making them a team. There will be, just by the way things are, forces that will pull at them. Removing the stigma of JV for them as well as making sure you (I) don't say things even in jest that are not 100% positive and constructive.
Great stuff, Coach Tim. I have used pedometers and a deal called a Trackstick (using by biking guys) that shows how far you have traveled in 5 second increments and how fast you were going. You can print it out, pretty cool.

Those are great ideas. We will implement! Thanks!
A big compliment to Coach Tim and the mentality of the JV squad (and a congratulations for bringing home Berkeley girls' JV's first win tonight with 4-0 over Colleton County)--some of the JV girls on the bus the other night were talking about who among them had a chance as freshmen next year to move up to varsity. One of the 8th grade girls(and a very good young player) said, "Well, I think I want to stay with JV one more year so I can learn more, so when I do move up to varsity I can play well and make a difference."

Great stuff, great attitude, and great players under development. Love it.
Sounds like you nailed it, Coach Tim! Nice job!
Good luck getting it started.
OK, now that the JV seasons are over, what will you do differently next year to make your program better?
Quote:

Please feel free to add any additional thoughts or advice.

Snag Coach RR from Barnwell. Our girls REALLY liked him!
RO&H, Just my 2 cents worth but the last two years I implemented a competitive cauldron. At practice, every single thing we do is competitve. Lots of 1v1's, 2v2's and short sided games, etc. Point is, they're scored on everything. What this does is keeps your lazy players from going through the motions during drills. And at the end of the week, the top 11 players with the most points, are my starters. Its fun to practice now just be careful not to get caught up with scoring to the point where youre too busy to coach them. I actually have someone do it for me. the girls love it cause its so "all out" on everything we do. Just an idea....(we do have alot of fun things as well. trust me, we have a great time but...this system has really worked for me)
Just as an aside and worth a note: RR is a great guy and christian I think. I am a christian as well-being on staff as a music minister @ SFBC. However, I am a competitor and play by the rules and sometimes I caught up with rules stuff(RR knows). Probably not great quality. But it is great to see nice guys finish at the top! RR is one those guys you don't mind your daughter playing for. Randy you have done great job (and should be proud-I know you are)and we will see you in club. Good Luck in England, we will be pulling for you!
http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=102214&Main=100893#Post102214

I think you can show more Christian love in this thread

I do the same thing.
I agree, but remember there is an Old Testament (eye for an eye)just kidding of course. It is the nature of the business we have chosen. I imagine when christians slaughtered others in battle, it wasn't very pretty. Sometimes you have to stand up for the good things that keeps our society together. Kind of like being in the heated battle of competition and still be able to respect each other enough to shake hands and acknowledge defeat or victory. Oh there I go, let me stop
Quote:

RO&H, Just my 2 cents worth but the last two years I implemented a competitive cauldron. At practice, every single thing we do is competitve. Lots of 1v1's, 2v2's and short sided games, etc. Point is, they're scored on everything. What this does is keeps your lazy players from going through the motions during drills. And at the end of the week, the top 11 players with the most points, are my starters. Its fun to practice now just be careful not to get caught up with scoring to the point where youre too busy to coach them. I actually have someone do it for me. the girls love it cause its so "all out" on everything we do. Just an idea....(we do have alot of fun things as well. trust me, we have a great time but...this system has really worked for me)

Anson would be proud....
Actually he is...He keeps in touch with me regularly throughout our season as I bet I made with him at camp last year. Actually he made the bet. I told him that our 5 losses last year came within 1 goal. He bet that with this system not only would we lose less games( which were only 2 this season to s.a. by 1 and wando by 2) but we would allow fewer goals and he was right.
Meredith. Please refresh my memory. What church are you at? and how'd you know about my girls trip to England all the way up there? I'm sorry.
Quote:

I just read this and am going to implement now and in the future. That's a great idea!
RR,
I am the head coach at Swansea. I also coach with Franki @ LLSC. I am on staff at Swansea First (been on staff for 11 years) I am a mathematics-intensive major, I teach math, I engineered for Bose, I worked at T and T Sports, I have a wife, three girls (all three play soccer), two dogs, I coached a state championship wrestling team in 2002, and you need another striker for England. Anything I missed?
Were you coaching them this weekend at the jv tourney? Are yall moving up to challenge this season?
Meredith? RR? OK, I will be Edith Bogdonavich, Goalie from now on. I'll see if I can find an avatar!

Serious, thanks for the imput.

Anson Dorrance, UNC, put in the Competitive Cauldron years ago and explains it in detail over about 90 pages in Training Champions, a very expensive but incredibly useful book. We did that this year also and it made an unbelievable difference in finding out who is fastest, who can score, who is tough, etc. Every one of our kids is better for it.
No, that was our JV coach Meg-We just filled in for her at your place because she was at a USC-Aiken alumni game. She is awesome! She was the sweeper for USC-Aiken (captain) a few years ago. As far as Challenge, we would like to say yes, but we may stay down one more year and play some challenge tournaments. Looks like you all should make the move up-going to England-Wow major $.
The solution to being good on any level not just JV-getting the team to stay together and play together year round. RR, your girls have been together for how long (At least 5 years)? Only three of our U-15's are on varsity and one on JV. Other than that, no JV's play together year around. Tough to be really good on JV without playing together year around. However, I have seen an improvement (in RR team) over the years from when you all use to play The Force. Nice job RR!
I have a ? to all coaches reading this board. This is only my 3rd year coaching. How do yall deal with parents??!!
Very carefully...
RR, i'm not a coach, but at this age level, you should rarely have to deal with a parent. I bet you get lots of PM's on this one! Good luck!
Hey guys, one last thing, this is my last day at State Farm in North Augusta(I know, it's a long drive). I'll be an Independent Agent in Barnwell and can write ins. anywhere in the state so if I can give any of you a qoute on your cars and/or homes just let me know!!lol (hey I gotta try!!)
Quote:

I have a ? to all coaches reading this board. This is only my 3rd year coaching. How do yall deal with parents??!!

That's an awfully broad question; usually I deal with my team parents by thanking them for all they do to be supportive. Of course, there are all sorts of parents and all sorts of issues to be dealt with...any particular types of instances you had in mind?
My AD gave me some great advice before the season began "Let them talk and get it off their chest, by then all the steam is let off and talking can begin "
For me I enjoy engaging in conversations with parents and getting their take on the situation. Their input is justified as they are shareholders.
The usual issues are playing time and postitions. Those two are determined by the standards and practices the coach demands of his team.
I let the parents know in a meeting about a week into the season all my expectations and clearly how I plan on getting there.
This is great stuff. Coach Tim and Coach Chass, our first year program will be a lot like yours it seems to me. We don't have the numbers to let "players" play JV, so that will probably be a team that keeps players playing while hoping a couple develop.

Plus, our varsity this year has 15 underclassmen already, most of whom are 10th and 9th graders.

Thanks for the input.
Wish you the best of luck with it; our JV girls seem to have really enjoyed this season, win or lose; their biggest regret right now is that they don't want to stop now that their season is over!
If they had fun, it was worth it. We are going to have to play you guys someday. We'll come down. Maybe at Edisto.
I'm up for beach soccer! Can the old guys play too?
Speaking of which, humility is being 6'3", 200 lbs. and having a 110-lb. girl undercut you, send you spinning off your feet, and dribble away grinning with the ball at practice. Love it!
Quote:

I'm up for beach soccer! Can the old guys play too?

It's for the old guys, silly. We will have an old guy division, promise.
1 minute halves. No PK's. Ties are good.
A neutral site match would be pretty cool to try and set up. We can try it in 09 if all can all agree to terms and we have room. Also assuming gas won't be $6 a gallon.
If I have already said the following then please forgive. Go to the rec dept, YMCA and Upward soccer assist with what they have going on. From two one hour clinics I gathered 8 7th graders. These girls needed very little adjusting to the big field.
I have an assistant that volunteered with me this past season. Being skillful and soccer wise helped so much. I was able to give him half the team with some direction and main points and he ran with it.He always had spot on match analysis and helped make some great adjustments. He never allowed a bad pass to be acceptable and showed how to make passes into good passes then into service. The every second counts mentality pushed these girls much further than what I could have done alone. I also fed the kid all year so I think that is a big reason he stayed on board.
Maybe you're on to something. We've been playing beach soccer tennis at Edisto for years. Shells are the biggest problem. Yoy have to police the field. Maybe a beach soccer stadium?
I volunteer to do the research.
Need a research assistant?
Absoutely. Pay stinks, but everything else ought to be pretty first class.
I teach and coach at a high school...think I'm put off by pay that stinks? Throw in some lemonade at halftime and you've got a deal!
Done!
I want to be the assistant to the assistant. What are the qualifications?
Quote:

You have to provide the adult beverages.
Qualifications are simple for an assistant to this assistant...

1. Have fun.
2. Be able to laugh at yourself.
3. Don't be afraid to laugh at ME. Believe me, I'll give you the chance.
4. Help me and ROH carry the portable goals and the cooler.
5. Take the "Whose Line Is It..." approach: The points don't matter.
6. Be adept at dealing with sand in multiple inconvenient locations.
7. Have flexible hours and work for snacks and drinks.
8. Be able to deal with a thousand questions from young players who think that learning to play soccer is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to practice.

Any questions?
Quote:

1. You have to formally request to be the assistant to the assistant.

2. You have to be approved by the SCESSC.

[SCESSC - Sout Carolina Executive Sand Soccer Classic]

You are approved.
Schweet! I'm going to go roll in the dirt now to prepare myself
That's sand, Jr.
Ain't got sand, only dirt over here.
We'll ship some in with some shrimp.
After a good round of beach soccer, you'll be taking some back with you. Intentionally or not.
Quote:

OK, now that the JV seasons are over, what will you do differently next year to make your program better?

Okay, I didn't really have a grip on the fact that I was going to be coaching my school's girls' JV team this year, so here's what I'm going to make sure of next year.

1. Identify and train a keeper (actually two) with lots of individual time (potentially using time after the official practice for this). It's the key position as the last defender and the first attacker and director of the defending half (not to mention being the only player who can see the entire field from her natural position).

2. Have a plan to spend lots of preseason practice time on individual skill development. So many of my girls this year had no previous experience, and a lot of focus on first touch, crisp passing, developing multiple ways to strike the ball and so on will be the the core of creating players who will mold into wonderful team players.

3. Developing team chemistry. I felt that a lot of our girls didn't like each other too much this year. I don't mean to say they disliked one another, but they seemed distant in that they seemed to just be together for the hour and a half practices and the hour and a half for games. Team building exercises are part of my program for next year.

4. Watching my own use of players and allowing players to play as many positions as possible. This will allow me to make players work hard in all facets of practice and create versitile players.

I could continue to list for ages, but these are my big four. Great question. And yes, we got our butts kicked this year, but watch out; we're coming for y'all next year!
After a season of letting them play all postitions, I will introduce them to overlapping and attacking with wing backs. Being aware of where they are on the field and how to move and maintain shape. I need to get out of the "old school rod hockey" approach to cover a field. I don't play that way but I tend to teach it, I believe out of my inability to get my players to the next level of play.
I've been pleasantly surprised how fast all the teams have embraced the style. It's not new and as a Cruyff/ Ajax fan I've always wanted it for my teams. It is something that has prevailed as the most effective method of play in the girls game this year.
What about making SOCCER a year around SPORT in all schools, from elementary to HS. Here in Richland 2, middle schooler's get soccer in the spring. During 7th and 8th grade my daughter had the opportunity to play for middle school and club soccer. It benefitted her tremendously. Having them play year around will definetly improve soccer in South Carolina.
Not sure who filmed us in training but thought I would share it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMsFmXtN74
I would like to bend this thread slightly...

How does your JV coach work with the local clubs on sharing the kids for practice? Is there a priority? Is there a conflict?

I see in our small community a vast difference.
The best I see is an automatic pass from JV practice if the kid is going to practice with his or her club.

How does your relationships look in this respect? These questions are to all. Thanks
Starting next year, we won't have this problem at all. Our school district now has middle school soccer and the word is out that all 7th and 8th graders are now ineligible for JV.

This is not great for the JV Girls program, where historically over 80% of the players were middle schoolers.

Back when we had "the U-14 conflict", I never required girls who had club practice to come to JV practice that night (our JV practice is at 6 PM).
Thanks, that matches the best scenario, I see... We have one group who requires the kids to do double time, JV first then they can go to club, tough.
We luckily (?) don't have this problem since most of our girls' first experience is with playing JV. Anyone out there in similar situations? How do you create a culture of soccer for younger players. Many of the girls who play (even at varsity level) don't play year-round here because cheerleading is an enormous deal. I've even had one very promising player say that she won't be playing in the spring because she made some big deal cheer team in Charlotte and won't be able to miss any of the practices. How do we (more specifically, how do I) fight that battle?
It is tough to watch players move to other sports. I was at our spring sports banquet and watched the award winners in crosscountry, softball and track all former soccer players. I was proud of them and I missed watching them play a game I felt they were perfect for.
It has taken many years to develop what little we do have at Berkeley. I have been at the Rec Dept since '94 teaching from 5-15. We had a drought as far as girls a few years back, we fixed that now the boys are in short supply.
All I can say about the "Fighting the Battle" do it with all your heart because whatever little victories you achieve these kids are worthy of ever ounce of energy you can give it.
© SC Soccer