SC Soccer
Posted By: Backrow2 Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/13/08 03:13 AM
Good Luck to the 19 girls from the Charleston area on their way to Sweden to play in the Gothia Cup... Thanks to Charleston United Coaches Brad Waite and Andy Grist for taking this group of girls on what will be an adventure to remember. This is an excellent instance or how things in LOWCOUNTRY should work. Where players come together to form a team from multiple ages (14-16), multiple clubs and multiple high schools all for the love of the sport. Girls are from Moncks Corner, West Ashley, Mt Pleasant, North Charleston and Hollywood, SC. They are staying in a school classroom and sleeping on airmatresses for a week. I'm guessing though they won't be sleeping much with all the events going on.

Thanks to the many sponsors who have made this possible, but most notiably Charleston Mayor Joe Riley for his amazing contribution.

Watch a little of the promo of the event and you will see why the girls worked so hard that last 8 months raising money and training during the hot days of June in Charleston. Several giving up a chance to play on ODP team this year. Gothia Cup

Good Luck also to the boys team from Charleston United who will also be representing the low country.

GO TEAM CHARLESTON !!!
Posted By: Manchester Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/13/08 05:13 AM
Very nice! Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: The Hammer Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/13/08 01:55 PM
Yes, awesome opportunity for these girls!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/13/08 06:01 PM
One of mine is in that group; she's really excited about having this opportunity, and I appreciate everything that all involved did to make it possible!
Posted By: CoachKevin Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 01:45 AM
This is truly great stuff, good job by the powers that be i have seen the group hard at work over the past few months best wishes to all the players and coaches.

Chass we are getting closer make sure u dont have any ringers from sweden...

K...
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 02:20 AM
I told Katelyn to see if she could fit a couple into her carry-on to bring back...

It is getting close to that time...looking forward to this fall season!!
Posted By: Luna-Chicks 98G Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 05:00 PM
1st game

0-0 tie u-17G

U-14 boys not reported yet
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 07:32 PM
Thanks...keep us posted!
Posted By: Luna-Chicks 98G Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 07:56 PM
link for the girls

http://www.gothiacup.se/eng/Spelprogram/Spelprogram/Group.asp?id=294
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 07:57 PM
Looks like the U14 boys lost 2-4 in the first match. Scores can be found at:

http://www.gothiacup.se/swe/Spelprogram/old/

The girls are listed under Girls 17, Group 5.

Boys are under Boys 14, Group 18.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 07:58 PM
Hah...beat me to it by seconds!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 07:59 PM
That's a better link...when I went in earlier, that section was down. Glad they got it back up and running!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 08:27 PM
I heard the match was hard fought..Alot of pushing and shoving..Charleston pushed the issue the first half and the Swedish had more chances the second half..Not bad for a group that just came off a long plane ride and a six hour time change..Keep it up Team Charleston!!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/14/08 08:47 PM
Yep...just got a call from a very excited player who is happy to be there. She said it got very tight in the second half...couple of narrow saves that had to be deflected over the crossbar, but they hung on for the tie. Way to go!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/15/08 09:42 PM
Girls took it on the chin today with a 3-0 loss to Korsovo.Must of been a late night out in Sweden..The team they tied yesterday won today 1-0..Tommorrow's match should be a good one..If Korsovo wins they will win the group play
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/16/08 03:37 AM
Yeah, tough day today...hopefully they learned their lesson and get some sleep tonight!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/16/08 05:43 PM
girls tied today..finished third in their group..The Swedish team they tied on Monday won the group..I guess it's time for some sightseeing..I know they are having a great time and the group play was matched up well..they should be returning late Sunday night with plenty of stories to share..Thanks to everyone that helped make this happen!!
Posted By: Backrow2 Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/16/08 07:11 PM
Girls are now in playoffs - They won their first playoff game 2-0. Guess it is early to bed again. They are never going to get to the Disco!!
Posted By: KHarnage Re: Gothia Cup Sweden - 07/17/08 04:02 PM
Hey!

...just learned that's Sweden's version of "hello". Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for the support, guys...we definitely appreciate it! After having a (literally) last-second goal called back (leaving the score 0-0) we went into PKs and lost 3-4. Definitely not how I wanted to end the tournament, but we fought hard, gave it our all, and had fun doing it...can't ask for much more than that.

Thanks again!
© SC Soccer