SC Soccer
Posted By: Fatty Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 12:57 AM
As I read threads like the one about 94 needing players, someone always hints about the future of Bridge.
Can they stay relevant with the addition of Daniel Island and the re-emergence of SSC?
Obviously, MPSC, because of the city ties will not partner with them.(terrible grammer!)
Have they worn out their welcome?
Posted By: Talon Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 10:57 AM
Did Eddie Crosby leave SSC?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 11:32 AM
Eddie is alive and well at SSC..The 94 team is low in numbers just like the 92 team was last year at Bridge..Until one of the other clubs can draw the best players all together I think BFA will still be relevant..If there was anything that I think would be the demise of Bridge..It would be the lack of fields..We will have to watch and see what Damiel Island does in the future.. I don't see any changes going on at MPSC..The one I would watch is Eddie at SSC..He is doing alot with a little right now..
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 01:32 PM
One note that I will add is that I was surprised that Bridge did not field a girls 95 team..With SSC winning the state cup and as strong as JISC was in the league play..I thought players would come together from both squads and field a team..I guess everyone decided to stay put and play classic ball again..I have to believe with the economic times we are in..Parents are not willing to spend the extra dollars and travel the extra miles when they can stay home and win in the classic league..
Posted By: Fatty Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 03:15 PM
I just find it interesting that a Club that seemed to have a bright future is now talked about as a Club possibly in trouble.
On the Boys side, I can't see them going anywhere until the U16 Academy group graduates out after U18.
But, what other boys teams will they have? The U16 RIII team isn't doing well, and many of the players are also on the Academy team. I can see this team going away.
The U14 boys are playing up. After this year, won't many of them want to move into the Academy? If they do, possibly another team gone.
That leaves them with the 1 U11 team.
I just find it interesting.
Could MPSC and SSC capitalize just by sitting still and letting them fade away.
I don't really see the head guy pulling in a lot of new people. He has his group that have followed him, but he has many detractors, also.
Posted By: BFA Director Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 03:52 PM
Fatty-
be happy to discuss with you
give me a call
843-270-0596
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 03:59 PM
Yikes!!! A call to manhood!!!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 04:02 PM
i see you lurking big daddy!!!
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 04:06 PM
Nah....skulking. Brooding.....
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 04:07 PM
i wonder if fatty called?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 04:15 PM
Fatty Has shown us the glass have empty so how about the glass half full..What other club in the area..or should I say state fields US academy teams? None!! How many clubs in the area field RIII teams? again none!!These teams are playing at a whole different level than the rest of the lowcountry so success is not going to come easy..Girls teams?Strongest teams in the area..State Champions last Fall in the 92 group..What are the other clubs in the area going to offer these players?If anything BFA has probably raised the level of play in the area because clubs know they need to try to keep up..Bridge just needs a place they can call home..
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 05:06 PM
Why can’t Bridge FA operate as an affiliate of MPSC? Wouldn’t this be a good thing for both parties and players?
Posted By: soccer63 Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/17/08 05:50 PM
Being an outsider to the Charleston soccer scene can somebody let me know what is the problem with Bridge and lack of fields? If they are putting so much into being into the US Soccer Development Academy then why can they not sink money into the obvious needs like fields? Once again, I know nothing about their current conditions but from several threads on this forum it seems to be a problem.
Posted By: Fireant Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/21/08 06:38 PM
Quote:

i wonder if fatty called?

No reponse from fatty.
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/21/08 08:45 PM
I'll try and give some semblance of an answer to Letme and soccer63 from what I know:

Bridge won't be an affiliate of MPSC because MPSC already has its own Select/Classic/Challenge/Premier program. The Powers That Be at MPSC/Mt. Pleasant Town Hall aren't going to give it up so they can wear red and gold and be Bridge FA instead of maroon and white and MPSC when the program is part of the Rec Dept.

For Bridge, the problem is that fields are expensive and hard to find. Most of the current land in Mt. Pleasant either belongs to the Rec Dept, public schools, or is already "leased" out to be played on by MPSC. And that's something that's shared with other sports. Daniel Island land is either BE, Charleston Battery, or private AND they have their own (correct me if I'm wrong) Daniel Island Soccer Club for boys.

If they move away from their target area of Mt. P/DI, you run into James Island...which is used by James Island Soccer Club, West Ashley and North Charleston used by CUSC, and Summerville used by SSC.

That occupied soccer space means that Bridge would have to buy or lease its own land, turf the fields, maintain the fields, provide restroom facilities, and parking. I don't know about prices elsewhere, but if they want to stay in the Mt. P/DI general area...even just buying or leasing the land gets really ridiculous.

And, without a rec/supporting populace of players to bring in money, from what I know, which admittedly isn't much, Bridge is way too small a group to be able to afford paying for land, building a complex, and keeping it up on its own.
Posted By: Coach P Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/22/08 12:07 PM
Quote:

...Daniel Island land is either BE, Charleston Battery, or private AND they have their own (correct me if I'm wrong) Daniel Island Soccer Club for boys.

I believe DISA has girls teams as well.
Posted By: arsenal2 Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/23/08 05:33 PM
Adidaskitten....don't count out a Bridge/MPSC collaboration of some sort. There is word that both sides have been talking seriously about some type of merger/collaboration. The landscape has changed at MPSC, so may the relationship between Bridge FA and MPSC.
Posted By: reddevilfan Re: Future of Bridge FA? - 10/27/08 02:07 AM
Woudnt that be nice a collaboration in the low country
© SC Soccer