SC Soccer
Posted By: Hard Headed ECNL/Harry - 10/09/12 05:11 PM
Harry , how is ECNL working out for ya this year ? Looks like the lack of training last year is starting to show.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/09/12 10:31 PM
Quote:

Harry , how is ECNL working out for ya this year ? Looks like the lack of training last year is starting to show.

Ohhh Harrrrryyyy, wherrrrrreee arrrrreeee youuuuu???
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 02:40 PM
This board does need some life. I was just told CESA combined age group record is 2-15 in ECNL ???? To much emphasis on generating revenue & travel, not enouugh on training and development. Anyone know their record in premier league?
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 03:12 PM
ecnl 2-2-16 (u14-u18), r3ple 0-0-12 (u15/u17). long summer of competition, probably need a break to refresh.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 03:32 PM
before descending on those teams like buzzards off a branch, the combined w-d-l record for sc girls teams in r3ple is currently 8-5-36.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 03:41 PM
so (little math) combined league record (no tournament results included) for sc girls teams competing in out-of-state leagues is currently 10-7-52.
Posted By: nothersoccerdad Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 04:38 PM
so the question that bears asking is, why aren't the teams more competitive? cesa has the best talent in the area in those age groups on those teams.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 05:36 PM
Quote:

so the question that bears asking is, why aren't the teams more competitive? cesa has the best talent in the area in those age groups on those teams.

Harry could answer that.

Ohhhhh Harrrrrrryyyyyyy....
Posted By: Chantman Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 06:07 PM
Quote:

SCU/MP 98G Elite are 2-0 in ECNL. 1-0 victory over Atlanta Fire and 2-0 victory over Bethesda Academy.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 06:35 PM
maybe that will give the cesa girls a little more incentive when they take on that atlanta fire team this sunday at mesa. wish them well.
Posted By: whatever Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/10/12 06:46 PM
Not about the record. Just playing for recruitment purposes only. Right? I guess the lacross teams in the state are going to be strong.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/11/12 01:58 AM
Quote:

Not about the record. Just playing for recruitment purposes only. Right? I guess the lacross teams in the state are going to be strong.

Not playing very well for recruitment purposes I would say.
I still think it is the lack of training/coaching that the kids have received prior to this year. It is starting to show.
I heard that CESA was trying to get games at casl showcase so they could play in front of some college coaches. I guess the coaches are not showing up at ECNL league games. Probably hurting the chances of these kids gettingy recruited.
That is a lot of money to spend and no coaches even coming to watch you play.
Posted By: whatever Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/11/12 02:36 PM
Cant wait to see the repercussions on the high school roster. See which high school or club coach is flexible
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/11/12 07:43 PM
Quote:

I know it is past time for the 18s but maybe all the 17s have committed already so they do not need to play in front of coaches. Does anyone know how many have committed? I know of 3.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/11/12 08:43 PM
Did somebody ban Harry from his computer?

Where has he gone?
Posted By: nothersoccerdad Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 12:08 PM
are they not showing up at ecnl games as a whole or are they just not showing up at ecnl games where the teams have a losing record?
Posted By: Just Curious Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 01:00 PM
"so the question that bears asking is, why aren't the teams more competitive? cesa has the best talent in the area in those age groups on those teams"

Perhaps CESA has consolidated some of the best talent in the state to field one top level team per age group, but the upstate doesn't have the numbers to field two top teams in each age group. Certainly the ECNL teams should be competitive given the talent and coaching. However, arguably the best and certainly most experienced CESA coaches are coaching at the ECNL level, leaving the 2nd and 3rd level teams with less competitive coaches. Wonder if CESA girls will be represented in R3PL next year after this season...
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 02:09 PM
Quote:

"so the question that bears asking is, why aren't the teams more competitive? cesa has the best talent in the area in those age groups on those teams"

Perhaps CESA has consolidated some of the best talent in the state to field one top level team per age group, but the upstate doesn't have the numbers to field two top teams in each age group. Certainly the ECNL teams should be competitive given the talent and coaching. However, arguably the best and certainly most experienced CESA coaches are coaching at the ECNL level, leaving the 2nd and 3rd level teams with less competitive coaches. Wonder if CESA girls will be represented in R3PL next year after this season...

Just curious the ECNL teams are not winning either. Most cesa coaches are coaching more than one team so the most experienced coaches that coach the top teams may be the problem. Lack of good training also.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 02:14 PM
Quote:

are they not showing up at ecnl games as a whole or are they just not showing up at ecnl games where the teams have a losing record?

ECNL league games are during college soccer season. Most colleges play fri/sun and others play thur/sat. College coaches cant come watch league games. If there is a local college that comes and watches im sure they are going to the games with better teams.
Harry could answer that if he would raise his weary head.
He could answer the rumor about cesa trying to get ecnl games at the casl showcase so they can play in front of college coaches. Seams ECNL is not all it was suppose to be for the cesa teams other than money.
Posted By: Fxdwg Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 06:35 PM
So how many of you folks have daughters playing on the ECNL teams? Just wondering since there seems to be so much concern on the forum about these teams, but I don't hear any of these concerns standing on the sidelines at league games.
There are very few games the ECNL teams aren't competitive. Now, they may not always get the result (win) we would like, but there haven't been many games over the last few years where they weren't competitive.
CESA is a small market club playing in a national league with clubs from much bigger markets. Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be some growing pains?
Since everybody on here seems to know somebody who has a child playing on the ECNL team, ask them their thoughts about the team, league, etc. Yeah, I'm sure someone will have a negitive comment, but I'll guess most of the feedback will be positive.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 08:14 PM
Quote:

So how many of you folks have daughters playing on the ECNL teams? Just wondering since there seems to be so much concern on the forum about these teams, but I don't hear any of these concerns standing on the sidelines at league games.
There are very few games the ECNL teams aren't competitive. Now, they may not always get the result (win) we would like, but there haven't been many games over the last few years where they weren't competitive.
CESA is a small market club playing in a national league with clubs from much bigger markets. Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be some growing pains?
Since everybody on here seems to know somebody who has a child playing on the ECNL team, ask them their thoughts about the team, league, etc. Yeah, I'm sure someone will have a negitive comment, but I'll guess most of the feedback will be positive.

Mine played 2 years on ECNL teams. One year there was no league and one there was.The league is not what it was suppose to be. No college coaches showing up.We left cause the training sucked and it is now showing with the ECNL teams.
Dont give me that crap anout a small market cesa is in.Remember the 17s were the almighty 16 region champs.Does that mean that the region championships were that week now that cesa is loosing in ECNL. They are drawing from the whole state.That isnt to small of a market. There are many small market teams in ECNL.
The teams they play in the league are not even the better teams. If i remember right they are still in the lower B bracket so that thought you have about playing these great teams because they are in a national league is bull.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 08:15 PM
Quote:

The feedback will be positive or negative by who is standing close enough to hear.
Posted By: Fxdwg Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/13/12 11:04 PM
The ECNL is only in year 4, so I guess your daughter played the first couple of years. Again, our experience has been great over the past 4 years. We still have much too small a sample to determine of this was a good move for CESA.
Yes, CESA is a small market team...even if they pull from the entire state of SC. Look at the numbers the GA and NC clubs pull from, and its not even close population wise. I'm sure there are some other small market clubs, but they are probably still bigger than CESA.
Like I said in my previous post, there is a huge difference in being competitive in games vs. winning each game. Only been a couple of games over the past 4 years where I could say we weren't competitive in either Premier or ECNL leagues. Lets take a look at the CESA teams after year 10 in ECNL and then we will have enough data points to make an informed decision on if this was a good move or not.
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 12:32 PM
Coaches from Clemson & Furman were at the ECNL games at MeSA yesterday and every college on the east coast will have a representative at the national event in Sanford in December. No complaints about exposure from this ECNL parent.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 01:26 PM
Parents who put their kids in leagues for "exposure" purposes are delusional. Put your kid in a league where player development is the No. 1 priority, and the rest will take care of itself.
Posted By: nothersoccerdad Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 05:27 PM
so what club is sc offers the best player development? how do u qualify/quantify that if not be wins/losses?
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 06:16 PM
You MAY be able to quantify TEAM development through wins and losses. (Though this isn't ALWAYS true.) But you quantify PLAYER development through multiple metrics, most of which are worked on and evaluated in training, where a different kind of competition takes place. American youth soccer has myriad shortcomings, not the least of which is a genuine shortage of "time on the ball." You don't get time on the ball in games.
My observation about exposure for exposure's sake is simply this: Exposure without development is worse than no exposure at all. In essence, all you're doing is demonstrating your shortcomings and lack of proper training. A coach at a higher level may look at an under-trained kid and say to himself: "Wow, what a RAW talent! Maybe I could get more out of that with a legitimate training regimen." More likely, he'll go with kids who already possess the requisite technical skills.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 06:19 PM
Translation: I can teach strategy in a few sessions. I can instill/evaluate toughness fairly quickly. I CAN'T get a kid thousands of hours on a ball in anything less than 3-4 years. By then, the kid's in graduate school.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/15/12 10:20 PM
Quote:

Coaches from Clemson & Furman were at the ECNL games at MeSA yesterday and every college on the east coast will have a representative at the national event in Sanford in December. No complaints about exposure from this ECNL parent.

Glad two local coaches showed up. Thats not being sarcastic.
Not all players there that day can go to Furman or Clemson. The league is not a good selling point for being or not being (PAYING) to be in the ECNL. If coachs do show up for a league game it is a local coach looking at local players.Still, from our time in the league i very seldom saw a college coach at the league games. I hope with Clemson and Furman showing up they will recruit some of those local players. Furman already does. I did hear yesterday that Clemson was only interested in one u-17 player that was there.
I think we all know the coaches are at the national events. You just have to hope they will have the time and want to stop by a game your kid is playing in and that they are not just there for the other team.
You also have to hope that a player is getting the training and coaching to play well when the coaches stop by. On top of that you have to pray your kid is in the game when the coaches are there.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/16/12 05:58 AM
Quote:

"...but the upstate doesn't have the numbers to field two top teams in each age group."

They used to or came close in each age group.

"However, arguably the best and certainly most experienced CESA coaches are coaching at the ECNL level, leaving the 2nd and 3rd level teams with less competitive coaches."

With only two coaches (not necessarily the most experienced in the club) coaching the 5 ECNL teams where did all the other coaches at the club go?
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/16/12 12:23 PM
No complaints here on the training that my daughter receives as part of her CESA ECNL team. I am truly touched that so many on this board spend so much time worrying about the training received by other peoples' children.

Haven't we talked this topic to death? Don't think ECNL is worth it? Don't do it. End of story.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/16/12 01:13 PM
I don't have a dog in the fight. My point was, and will continue to be, that a high-quality TRAINING environment is more relevant to player development than match competition. If I were a college coach, I'd place far more value on what I see in training than what I see in games. By the time you see most coaches at matches, they've already decided whom they want. They're just dotting i's and crossing t's.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/16/12 09:06 PM
Hey Mom,

The purpose of this Message Board is to allow open discussion of different thoughts and ideas.

It is not intended for everyone to have the same opinion.

If you don't like what you read here, don't visit this site.

It's as simple as that.
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 12:34 PM
Bomber, at no point did I suggest any differently. Just adding my thoughts & ideas to the "open" discussion.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 04:53 PM
upstatesoccermom, i may be wrong but isnt your player one of three goalies on the u-17 team.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 05:20 PM
Quote:

No complaints here on the training that my daughter receives as part of her CESA ECNL team. I am truly touched that so many on this board spend so much time worrying about the training received by other peoples' children.

Haven't we talked this topic to death? Don't think ECNL is worth it? Don't do it. End of story.

Mom, you are obviously "one of those" that it bothers, that anyone would dare question ECNL or CESA.
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 06:08 PM
HH - Nope.

Bomber - Not in the least. Question away!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 06:34 PM
Quote:

HH - Nope.

Bomber - Not in the least. Question away!

Thanks, that narrowed it down for me as to which parent you are.
Upstatesoccermom you are like many parents that give cesa such high praise for their training. You just dont know any better or that better is out there. Like i stated before, the lack of good training is showing in ECNL. Only one team with a win again this past weekend. You stated earlier to go back and look in 10 years and see how cesa is doing in ecnl. First im sure there will be something else that has taken ecnl's place by then but cesa will still be cesa.Just being in ecnl does not make a club better.
Im sure you enjoy cesa if yours is one of those getting lots of playing time and shouldnt.Not to say that is ur situation but that is one of cesa's problems these days.
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 06:47 PM
Quote:

Did the Furman coach fly in? That's not a recruiting trip. It would be a recruiting trip if the coach from UNC, or Florida St showed up.
Posted By: GWS Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 07:47 PM
I can see both sides of the argument.

I agree that training time on the field is the most vital part of player development.

I would also say that playing against top flight competition during match play is also good for player development.

I am not a CESA guy, but I respect what they do and think by and large they turn out a pretty good product.

Hard headed you sound like you have sour grapes because you feel your child was wronged.

Soccer mom as long as you and your daughter are happy and feel like you are getting what you pay for then that is really all that matters.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 07:56 PM
None of the kids are getting training worth the $6,000 to $8,000 turn key costs I have been quoted by ENCL parents. It is the same schedule of training and same trainers when the cost was, $2,000, turn key.

Traveling with your kid may be worth it, but that can be done in other ways.

If someone wanted to buy enough exposure time to get your kid a D1 shot, and that is their goal in life, it may be worth it.

If it is the scholarship chase the person is after, the math does not add up, though.

This is a forum for opinion, obviously mine is wrong to many people.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 08:31 PM
Quote:

I can see both sides of the argument.

I agree that training time on the field is the most vital part of player development.

I would also say that playing against top flight competition during match play is also good for player development.

I am not a CESA guy, but I respect what they do and think by and large they turn out a pretty good product.

Hard headed you sound like you have sour grapes because you feel your child was wronged.

Soccer mom as long as you and your daughter are happy and feel like you are getting what you pay for then that is really all that matters.

GWS cesa had the sour grapes when mine decided to play somewhere else so they would not let her be with the team at reginals even though she couldnt play because of a injury. That did cause some sour grapes for me. As far as me bashing cesa about their training is not sour grapes but a fact. It is showing in their play. If a parent is happy with that then more power to them.
How about you explain to me what good product they are turning out these days. Just putting kids in ecnl and saying 'HERE, GO PLAY IN FRONT OF COLLEGE COACHES" is not a good product. The training last year was bad.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/17/12 08:37 PM
In my humble opinion, and based on my experience with them,
CESA long stopped being about training.

For them it's recruiting. Who can we lure to come to us, so that we can make our teams better.

If they were successful at training, this would not be so important.

For us, the return with this was, we often did not have enough players to proctice properly because so many of the players were from out of town, they were never at all or many of the practices, only the games.

You do not build successful TEAMS this way. CESA could get away with it, if the team simply had more talent than the opponent.

Appears now, against ECNL, they do not have the talent.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/18/12 01:23 PM
At some point, real trainers/programs relegate parents' checkbooks and opinions to secondary status and focus on what they should KNOW is right: That TRAINING is the common denominator in successful player development scenarios, and competition is nothing more than a measuring stick for how well it's getting done.
Posted By: wakaflockamyers Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/18/12 05:50 PM
Seems like the money, travel, and headache is plentiful for a bunch of players that at best will play at D1AA schools and have no professional futures. Bad return on investments if you ask me! No wonder the economy sucks
Posted By: Just Curious Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/18/12 08:55 PM
Bomber, I agree 100% with your post. During our two year experience with CESA and ECNL, we felt like the training was excellent; however, we saw a team transform from all players located in the upstate or at least close enough to travel to every training session to a team where many players were located too far away to make even one training session/week. Local players who made the team successful were displaced to allow room for the recruitment of out of town players who couldn't take advantage of team training offered at CESA. This is not player development or good training - it's recruitment, which brings in more training fees and name recognition for CESA. I understand recruitment at the college level where players are on scholarship; however, at the club level the focus should be on player development instead of name recognition. CESA coaches continually say they are always looking for more talented players to improve the team; why can't the focus be on developing the current level of talented players who played together for years? It appears the allure of having CESA earn a national ranking has overtaken what should be the positive effects of youth sports; player development, team commitment, self-esteem, and quite simply a love for the sport.
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/18/12 09:44 PM
When we we're members of CESA thing. If CESA had 2 players of equal skils one from Greenville, one from Columbia, they were taking the one from Columbia. Why? Too increase their footprint.
Posted By: snakeeyes Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/19/12 12:51 PM
Will someone please call the CESA office and ask them to ask Harry to post and answer some of the many questions on this thread?

And also, ask Harry to ask JAK to post.

Thank you.
Posted By: CornerKicker Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/20/12 10:19 AM
CESA vs ECNL of recent is not going well for the CESA teams.

What is the difference now as compared to Regionals, where CESA had a number of teams do quite well?
Posted By: Just Curious Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/20/12 09:31 PM
Competition is quite a bit tougher in ECNL than R3PL
Posted By: Gun Smoke Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/21/12 03:58 PM
Quote:

Competition is quite a bit tougher in ECNL than R3PL

So how does this argument translate to the results and standings in scysa league play for the CESA: 00 Premier, 99 Premier, 99 Pre-ECNL, and 98 Premier?
We all understand that these are young teams, but positive results from years past in the older age groups indicate a fall off.
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 02:21 AM
Quote:

Quote:

SCU/MP 98G Elite are 2-0 in ECNL. 1-0 victory over Atlanta Fire and 2-0 victory over Bethesda Academy.

I did not realize that SCUMP had an ECNL team??? They could not beat CESA for the State Champ so how are they beating AF ECNL?
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 02:25 AM
I am a mom of a CESA ECNL player and my daughter played for several clubs before coming to CESA, the level of training she gets and the improvement of her game has been incredible and worth every single penny. It is to each person to decide what sacrifices they make to better their child for whatever reason. CESA produces some great soccer players and has a great record. The level of competition at ECNL is far greater than the state level competition and all of the games won or loss are very close. None of the ECNL teams from CESA are getting blown out.
Posted By: Chantman Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 02:59 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did not realize that SCUMP had an ECNL team??? They could not beat CESA for the State Champ so how are they beating AF ECNL?

Atlanta Cup
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 12:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Atlanta Cup

They played the 99 Pre ECNL team. I certainly hope the 98 SCUMP Elite team beat a younger team. Surprised SCUMP allowed 7 goals.
Posted By: Gun Smoke Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 01:40 PM
Taking 1 for the team..... Great name
Posted By: Chantman Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 01:55 PM
Just so you are aware, in GA, the years on their teams are different than SC. Atlanta Fire United 99 ECNL is a U14 team. They are the same age as CESA 98 and SCUMP 98. Where did you get the 7 goals?
Posted By: HSS1976 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 02:24 PM
The game went to PK's...
Posted By: lebron's cousin Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 04:36 PM
SCUMP 98s haven't played the 99 per-ecnl team this year as they play up in U15s this fall and have a premier league spot. SCUFC 99s beat Cesa's pre ecnl team 7-2 according to the Scysa schedules. So did Lexington 99s and Palmetto United 99s
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 04:51 PM
SCUMP played AF in the tournament and went to PK's, we all know how PK's go. You can be the #1 GK in world and still lose in PK's, its not skill its luck. A PK win does not always favor the best team. Ask Hope Solo. Anywho... I am not saying the SCUMP team is bad, actually they have always been CESA's best competition, I am saying that ECNL play is a whole different ball game than playing in state league and premiere league,you can sub in and out versus the sub rules in ECNL, it is a total game changer. THE CESA 98 team, won Disney, won Aiken, won State and now they are playing at the next level. Why is that bad? We are all entitled to our opinion and I find it very flattering that you guys are so concerned about our soccer club. Pearse and Andrew are doing a great job! We are all very happy to be part of the ECNL program for SC. I know for myself and my child we are well on our way to a college of our choice under the training and direction we are getting. We already have National recognition!
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 06:32 PM
So 1for, if you are new to this Board, it's been said before- the purpose of this Message Board is for open discussion with varied thoughts and ideas.

You need to go hang out with Upstatesoccermom and you two can compare notes.

Note to you, it's OK for some to question Mighty CESA or other Clubs. No offense to you or your kids.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 07:04 PM
Quote:

SCUMP played AF in the tournament and went to PK's, we all know how PK's go. You can be the #1 GK in world and still lose in PK's, its not skill its luck. A PK win does not always favor the best team. Ask Hope Solo. Anywho... I am not saying the SCUMP team is bad, actually they have always been CESA's best competition, I am saying that ECNL play is a whole different ball game than playing in state league and premiere league,you can sub in and out versus the sub rules in ECNL, it is a total game changer. THE CESA 98 team, won Disney, won Aiken, won State and now they are playing at the next level. Why is that bad? We are all entitled to our opinion and I find it very flattering that you guys are so concerned about our soccer club. Pearse and Andrew are doing a great job! We are all very happy to be part of the ECNL program for SC. I know for myself and my child we are well on our way to a college of our choice under the training and direction we are getting. We already have National recognition!

"...we are well on our way to a college of our choice..."

Let me ask you this. How many girls, over the life time of CESA, have made a top tier program, a UNC, Notre Dame, Stanford level?
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 08:56 PM
Quote:

So 1for, if you are new to this Board, it's been said before- the purpose of this Message Board is for open discussion with varied thoughts and ideas.

You need to go hang out with Upstatesoccermom and you two can compare notes.

Note to you, it's OK for some to question Mighty CESA or other Clubs. No offense to you or your kids.

I said that we are all entitled to our opinion and I am not sure why you think my thoughts are otherwise. I enjoy a great debate of opinion.
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/30/12 08:57 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Let me ask you this. How many girls, over the life time of CESA, have made a top tier program, a UNC, Notre Dame, Stanford level?

Top Tier program is of ones opinion as well. A top choice for my daughter would be Clemson. That is the school she loves and would be her choice when the time comes, I will let you know. Stay tuned.
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 03:06 AM
1for, clemson has top tier teams in other sports. clemson's womens soccer program isn't one of them, they have been bad for years and is not even close to top tier. tell her to shoot for UNC, ND, Stanford,Florida, that's top tier. If your daughter plays on one of the better HS teams in the area she'll play in front of more people at one of those games than any game she plays in at Clemson.
Posted By: Cajunkid Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 11:58 AM
1for, if your daughter is as great as you make her out to be, why would she settle for Clemson?

As of October 19, Clemson is 5-10-2, 0-9 in ACC play.

Seems like she is putting in a lot of effort, you moved her to CESA to play for the best, and if she goes to Clemson, she will settle for a ACC cellar dweller.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 12:33 PM
wow how low can you all go?.....taking pot-shots at a kid's dream to play college ball at CU.
why so bitter?
hopefully, these hate comments aren't coming from parents.
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 12:38 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Top Tier program is of ones opinion as well. A top choice for my daughter would be Clemson. That is the school she loves and would be her choice when the time comes, I will let you know. Stay tuned.

How many girls, over the lifetime of CESA, have made a top tier program?

You are guessing about a future outcome.("stay tuned") I have been told hind sight is 20/20. Look backwards and enlighten us.
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 12:50 PM
Again as I said Top Tier is of ones opinion. CU is a great education and she will get to play soccer. Her dream. I was just reading yesterday the following that you can find yourself on CESA's FB page. But I will post here so you can continue to shoot down kids dreams since it must make you feel so much better about you and yours....
Furman freshman forward Jamie Alexander ( CESA 93 Girls Premier) has been named the Southern Conference’s women’s soccer player of the week for all matches Oct. 24.
FROM SOCCER AMERICA: Minnesota's Taylor Uhl joined Georgetown's Daphne Corboz and Furman's Stephanie DeVita at the top of the NCAA Division 1 women's scoring charts with 16 goals apiece.
Lexi McMullen (14 Girls ECNL), Kathryn Conn (14 Girls ECNL), Katie Colwick (14 Girls ECNL), Libby Stahlman (15 Girls ECNL), Kailey Mattison (15 Girls ECNL), Monica Coelho (16 Girls ECNL), India Kozel (16 Girls ECNL), Sarah Dooley (16 Girls ECNL) and Kelsey Yeager (16 Girls ECNL) have been invited to attend the October 22nd US Soccer Training Center sessions in Atlanta, Georgia. Good luck to the girls.
Congratulations to former CESA 91 Boys Premier player Hunter Wyer who is a Red Shirt Sophomore at the University of South Carolina. Hunter scored his first regular season goal for the Gamecock.
Congratulations to Kailey Mattison ( Under 15 Girls ECNL) who has been selected to the U.S. Under 14 Girls' National Team for their training camp in Cary, North Carolina from October 20-27, 2012. US Soccer will bring in 30 players who will participate in both training sessions and matches during the week.
Furman forward Stephanie DeVita ( CESA 93 Girls) has been named Southern Conference Women's Soccer Player of the Month for September, it was announced on Thursday.
Furman's Stephanie DeVita has been named Southern Conference Women's Soccer Player of the Week after leading the Paladins to a 1-0-1 record this past week, it was announced on Tuesday by the league office.
Kristen Baker ( CESA 93) was named America East Conference Rookie of the Week after scoring both goals in Stony Brook University's overtime win at Binghampton University.
CESA 95 Girls were the recipients of the Fair Play Award while finishing 3rd at the National Championships this summer. Congratulations.
mily Brown (CESA 90) was named player of the week for Conference of the Carolinas last week. Congratulations to Emily who is enjoying her senior year for Erskine.
The 2012 US Youth Soccer National Championships- Best 11 has been released and four CESA players were selected after standout performances during the National Championship event held in Rock Hill, SC. This is quite an honor for the players as only 11 players were selected in each participating age group at the USYSA National Championships. Congratulations to Eric Bykowsky ( 95 Boys), Meaghan Carrigan ( 94 Girls), Savannah McCaskill (95 Girls) and Tahirih Nesmith (94 Girls).

I could continue to post, these might NOT be top tier schools in your mind but it is where these kids have chosen to go and play and they are doing pretty good even if they did not get the so called "good training" you are claiming CESA does not have. If you would like to read more CESA has a FB page that they post all player accomplishments on.... Oh and by the way one of these kids mentioned happens to belong to me, she is that good....
Posted By: Cajunkid Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 12:56 PM
Quote:

wow how low can you all go?.....taking pot-shots at a kid's dream to play college ball at CU.
why so bitter?

Where is the pot shot? There is none. Great if she wants to go to Clemson.

The point is 1for has been stating how they are wanting to be the best and part of it.

That's the point. You do all that and settle for a program that is down.
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 01:14 PM
Quote:

Quote:

why so bitter?

The point is 1for has been stating how they are wanting to be the best and part of it.

Do all of what??? You act like CESA parents go to the moon in a space shuttle for their kids to play ball. Just incase you didn't know, we don't. Our fees are normal compared to others in the area, we travel as much as any other club in the state. I am not sure what the big deal is. My daughter is getting great training and we are very happy with what CESA has to offer. I am not sure why there is so much animosity towards our club and what we do for our children.

And it is a pot-shot when you down a child's dream because it does not fit into what your opinion of "Top-Tier" is....
Tell me cajunkid about your club and its accomplishments and where you are with your soccer career....
Posted By: It is, what It is! Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 01:15 PM
My points are simple. Playing for CESA will not get your kid any choice, for college. It MAY get the one she wants, they ARE two different things.

My next point is you are just blowing smoke,... I will save the rest of that line, so the kids can read this.

At the current time CESA is the best program in SC. They are the big fish in the little pond. I am not bashing them. You have bought the company "line", hook, line and sinker. Okay - good for you, good for your daughter, good for CESA. So, in the future your kid makes the Clemson team good for her. Good for them, we WILL have to wait and see.
Posted By: Cajunkid Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 01:27 PM
Read the Post carefully!

I never used the term "Top Tier".
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 01:44 PM
I love this thread.
For the one whos kid is a 98 or 99 year. Your fees may be normal compaired to other clubs in the state and you travel just the same for now. Just wait. In the end you will not get what you pay for unless something changes down there. Cost and travel will go up.
Posted By: RECCOS Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:17 PM
1forteam, I actually believe that some of these posters are actually trying to warn you or at least encourage you to keep your eyes and ears wide open! Some of these posters are in fact past AND present CESA members.

It is well known that the majority of CESA top teams are recruited and not necessarily developed. What I ask, will come of your daughters 'guaranteed' scholarship once the powers that be recruit your daughters replacement?

Do your homework and protect your daughter. I personally hope the above never happens to your family and we do indeed get to see your daughter play for Clemson one day.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

why so bitter?

Do all of what??? You act like CESA parents go to the moon in a space shuttle for their kids to play ball. Just incase you didn't know, we don't. Our fees are normal compared to others in the area, we travel as much as any other club in the state. I am not sure what the big deal is. My daughter is getting great training and we are very happy with what CESA has to offer. I am not sure why there is so much animosity towards our club and what we do for our children.

And it is a pot-shot when you down a child's dream because it does not fit into what your opinion of "Top-Tier" is....
Tell me cajunkid about your club and its accomplishments and where you are with your soccer career....

Lady, how long have you been associated with CESA?

If you live in the Upstate and know people or have your own kids involved with that club, you will know why, for some there are feelings other than "all love for CESA".

Yes, they are the best Club in the State. Are they developing and training to get to that level? Or are they recruiting? That debate has been on this Board for years.

Do they have good customer service? That debate has been on this Board for years.

Are they arrogant? That debate has been on this Board for years.

Things were a lot different for the consumer, when we had 2 good Clubs in the Upstate. St. Giles and GFC offered good soccer, good service and competitive pricing.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:45 PM
1forteam-
Congrats to your daughter for being recruited by CU and wish her all the best!
It’s a great school for many reasons beyond soccer.
Many of the bashers would love nothing more than to have their kid play at CU.
Don’t let the haters pull you down.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:51 PM
Anyone who sends their kid to college for the soccer program, rather than the educational and other benefits, is an idiot.
Why?
1) Because the vast, VAST majority of college soccer players will never make a dime playing professionally.
2) Because injury/illness/coach's decision can effectively end a playing career at any moment.
3) Because coaches and schools part company on a regular basis, and when the one who recruited you leaves, what THEN?
Shall I continue?
Finally, for the fool who quoted records in denigrating a specific program, records come and records go. Great athletes, real difference-makers, change the culture and change the record.
And that process generally start with one coach and one kid.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:55 PM
Amazing when a differing opinion from the "Love CESA" crowd is offered, one is labeled a "basher" or "hater".

What happened to Free Speech?
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 02:57 PM
I appreciate everyone's concern. It is interesting to me that the common theme is that CESA is not good. I also find it interesting that many people who are the nay sayers has either been a part of CESA (per the poster above) or is a current part. As a parent of several kids, one who plays for another soccer club that we love as well for other reasons, I have realized that CESA is not for everyone. Different needs for different kids. One of my girls plays well under what CESA has to offer and the other would never flourish under them. One is very driven and the other enjoys soccer for fun and for the social aspect of it, we have her where she gets what she needs and we enjoy it very much.
I think it is sad that so many of you have been debating these issues for so long, has it changed anything? Will it ever? Are you debating because your kids did not flourish under them and get in that top tier school like UNC, ND or Stanford? I think we should all take a look at our expectations of the club and our children, maybe your child is not cut out to be a top tier soccer player and they turned out to be the best they can be and there is nothing wrong with that. We should all be proud that we can give our children all that they have, and that our children are great athletes that play an incredible sport.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 03:12 PM
Never had a kid at CESA, though I do have one who was recruited to play there.
The primary reason he DIDN'T wind up there is geography. The secondary (related) reason? Because CESA's Lowcountry training option was laughably bad. It was essentially co-ed kick-around. Simply not good enough.
The truth is, there is no single best way to get to a "top tier" program. The only requirements are "X" amount of physicality, opportunity, access to high-quality training, and willingness to work/learn. The rest is smoke and mirrors put forward by self-serving club directors and coaches, and parents whose beverage of choice is comes in a smiley-faced pitcher.
Posted By: Chantman Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 05:15 PM
Quote:

OK Disney and State good. Your thumping your chest about the Aiken Cup?
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 05:34 PM
Well I have to when I can! Ha! Proud of our girls....
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 05:40 PM
Love the Hope Solo reference. Why would I ask an attention-seeking, me-first diva ANYTHING? (Other than the price of a lottery ticket after she morphs back into a convenience store clerk.)
Posted By: Chantman Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 06:19 PM
Quote:

Well I have to when I can! Ha! Proud of our girls....

I understand.
Posted By: 1forteam Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 07:20 PM
Like her or not they say she is the #1 female GK in the world, my point was not about "her" personally it was about pk wins are not always to the best team..
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 10/31/12 11:34 PM
Quote:

Bomber, I think I missed those debates. Who took the "CESA as humble" side?
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/01/12 10:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Bomber, I think I missed those debates. Who took the "CESA as humble" side?

Harry, JAK and upstatesoccermom.

Probably 1for would also.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/01/12 01:18 PM
Humble? Nah.
From an honorable opponent's perspective, I'd say that CESA has a moderately inflated opinion of itself. (Who DOESN'T?)
That said, it's still a legitimate option for Midlands and Upstate kids. I certainly wouldn't travel 200 miles each way for its training however.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/01/12 02:31 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We are all very happy to be part of the ECNL program for SC.

ECNL isn't related to state championships, you don't represent SC as a state champion in ECNL. Some states have several clubs in ECNL. You're just playing in another league where, unfortunately for your daughter's ECNL team, state championships are now a thing of the past.

Claim of "top" or "best" team in/from SC for ECNL teams now becomes a matter of debate based on comparison of results against common opponents. Which is what the poster of the SCUMP vs. AF result was doing.
Posted By: Gun Smoke Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/02/12 01:59 PM
Looks like CESA 98 ECNL is traveling to a national event in VA
And SCU/MP 98 is traveling to CASL this weekend.
I just want to wish both teams good luck as they represent SC!!
Posted By: CornerKicker Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/03/12 02:02 PM
Back to the original question.

Harry, are you still with us?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/05/12 04:34 PM
No benefit for Harry to come on here at this point with the results they are having. Being very smart to stay away.
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/07/12 12:48 AM
I agree with you DD. What would be a recognizable goal in an ECNL league. Most sports teams have a goal. If they achieve the goal they are recognized for it in the newspaper, on TV, at your high school, etc. Pro Football - Super Bowl, College football - Conference Championship, High School Soccer - State Championship, etc, etc. The only group I see getting recognized in public is the soccer club itself, like when they generate revenue for the county and local businesses, the players don't get recognized at all. You never see the youths in club soccer getting recognized in the Gvile News or on one of the local TV stations. When my child played HS soccer we we're in the paper every night during playoffs with pictures and a good write up, we we're even on the local tv stations a few times. Why don't soccer players get recognized like football, basketball, baseball? It just seems like a lot of hard work by the players and a heavy investment by the parents not to be recognized.
Posted By: sandman Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/07/12 03:58 PM
Quote:

I agree with you DD. What would be a recognizable goal in an ECNL league. Most sports teams have a goal. If they achieve the goal they are recognized for it in the newspaper, on TV, at your high school, etc. Pro Football - Super Bowl, College football - Conference Championship, High School Soccer - State Championship, etc, etc. The only group I see getting recognized in public is the soccer club itself, like when they generate revenue for the county and local businesses, the players don't get recognized at all. You never see the youths in club soccer getting recognized in the Gvile News or on one of the local TV stations. When my child played HS soccer we we're in the paper every night during playoffs with pictures and a good write up, we we're even on the local tv stations a few times. Why don't soccer players get recognized like football, basketball, baseball? It just seems like a lot of hard work by the players and a heavy investment by the parents not to be recognized.

maybe i missed the point, but i don't see club teams of any sport recognized in the media.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/07/12 04:23 PM
Depends on the locale. In Charleston, the P&C and the weekly rags run photos, short accounts and occasional features. Check the Thursday P&C.
Posted By: sandman Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/07/12 06:44 PM
Quote:

Depends on the locale. In Charleston, the P&C and the weekly rags run photos, short accounts and occasional features. Check the Thursday P&C.

those are all user submitted, maybe soccer should submit is my suggestion. is that what this is about?
Posted By: dhunter Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/08/12 02:08 PM
In Columbia, the local Columbia STAR features numerous schools in the midlands recognizing all sports during their seasons.
Posted By: sandman Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/08/12 03:30 PM
i think the complaint was about club
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/08/12 05:06 PM
Actually, check the Thursday P&C. Tommy Braswell does a youth feature each week. Suspect he'll hit soccer. (But yes, submitting material primes the pump.)
Posted By: HSS1976 Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/08/12 05:14 PM
But do you see much about other sports? I don't see that much about club soccer, but I also don't see much about travel volleyball, baseball/softball, swimming, or any other sports. Sometimes they mention the AAU basketball tournaments held over the summer. For the most part, I doubt any of the newspapers cover many sporting events that are not school sponsored.
Posted By: Bear Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/09/12 01:59 PM
You're both right. Original post was about club not being covered, but schools were. In my experience, if you want coverage for a club sport, the club has to engage them.
Posted By: observer Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/10/12 08:50 PM
1for It seems to me that your experience with your current club may be new. Some things to keep in mind: the ECNL training centers are based on coach nominations....
As time goes by I will be curious to see if the experience your child is having now remains positive...you did mention that your child played at other clubs which could be contributing factors for current success. Where did your child learn the basic fundamental skills that are a necessity for success? I have seen clubs recruit great players, promote them for a year and then "hide them" with the goal of having less skilled politically correct players "be seen." Having a back-up plan and trying out at another club every year is something to consider because I have seen talented players (those who have gone on to play D1) lose favor with their clubs....parents and teammates get jealous the club will cater to the locals and there is always the one player on the team who the club lets do what they please... I have also seen clubs take out their frustration in dealing with parents on the child. I do wish the best for your child I hope she gets the support training and acceptance that a talented player from our state needs to be successful at the next level. Beware because soccer is a very political sport regardless of how talented your child is and what they accomplish if they are not accepted by our soccer community you will see how very ugly people can be and how adults will go out of their way to try to break that kid' s spirit.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/29/12 08:41 PM
I thought some of the CESA ECNL teams were headed to CASL Shootout this weekend, but checking the CASL schedules that's not the case. Apparently they are hooking up with the CSA and CASL ECNL teams as part of those clubs ECNL league games against a couple of Florida teams that CESA just played at the beginning of November. There is a USYS National League division as part of the CASL tournament but not an ECNL division. Anyone know why the CESA teams didn't just enter the Shootout and play at the tournament venues, especially WRAL?

I also noticed SCUMP and SCUFC teams are in the Shootout this weekend but neither of the CESA Premier teams are entered.

I wish all well in Raleigh this weekend whether at the Shootout or not, but am wondering why CESA passed on the Shootout. If not the ECNL teams, I would think they would at least enter the 2 Premier teams.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/29/12 11:09 PM
Thanks for the PM, MT4ME. The CESA Premier teams are in the Norcross Tournament.
Posted By: Bomber Re: ECNL/Harry - 11/30/12 08:12 PM
Hey Delta, where has Harry gone?
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 12/04/12 04:56 PM
stealth.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 12/04/12 06:06 PM
probably for the best. as much as he tried, fueling debate here did nothing to enhance the image of the club.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: ECNL/Harry - 12/04/12 06:52 PM
Although, it may be fairly said that the club is responsible for its image in the soccer community. Whatever that image may be.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: ECNL/Harry - 12/04/12 06:59 PM
I agree, which is why I think Harry should be focusing more of his time there than fueling debate here.
© SC Soccer