SC Soccer
Posted By: Hard Headed Harry how about showing up. - 01/17/13 11:06 PM
Harry, how has ECNL helped with players being recruited? How many u-17s(95s) have committed? This late in the process most should be done.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 12:56 AM
Most U-17s should be done?!?!? Holy Crap!!!! The Southeast Conference leaders in U-17 only have 5 committed according to their ECNL website. They should panic!

Seriously though, why do you say 'most should be done'? Why do so many coaches go see U-17 teams in ECNL Sanford and Dallas events then if most should be done? Of all these colleges having ID camps this time of year, are they all just inviting U-16s and U-15s? Do services like Captain U only market to players below U-17?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 02:30 AM
they should be done or they are behind in the game. many colleges are finished with their 2014s. either they have no money left for that year or the money is disappearing real fast. so maybe i should of said if you are a u17 then you should hurry before the money is gone. if you do not care about any money then no need to hurry. not sure why you would spend money on ecnl if you do not care about the money. college coaches do go to these events to watch their committed players play and recruit the younger ages. just because they are at a u17 game does not mean they are still recruiting at that age.
but my question for harry was how has ecnl helped with getting players recruited? how many u17s from cesa committed?
Posted By: Fxdwg Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 02:48 AM
I don't remember more than 3 or 4 of the U-18's (94's) being committed at this time last year. The vast majority committed later in the spring. I don't think anyone can argue the girls playing ECNL are getting more exposure. I think we should also remember that ECNL has still been around less than 5 years. Let a couple of cycles go through before we pass judgement. I haven't heard any parents complain about being left behind or the school of choice not having any money available.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 03:26 AM
Hard Headed,

So, if I told you that I saw a U-17 game with 30 coaches at it; would you tell me that of the 30 players involved in the game (22 kids on the field and 4 on each bench), most were already committed to one of the 30 schools watching?

And if I told you that at the same event I saw a U-15 game with 6 coaches at it, would you tell me that all the other coaches were off getting a hot dog?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 04:25 AM
Quote:

I don't remember more than 3 or 4 of the U-18's (94's) being committed at this time last year. The vast majority committed later in the spring. I don't think anyone can argue the girls playing ECNL are getting more exposure. I think we should also remember that ECNL has still been around less than 5 years. Let a couple of cycles go through before we pass judgement. I haven't heard any parents complain about being left behind or the school of choice not having any money available. [/quote)

Im not saying they are not getting exsposure. They are getting pleanty and that is my point. seems if ecnl is all that then why are not more committed. Ecnl is not the only place where players are getting exsposure.
I dont buy the argument about how long ecnl has been around. it is made out on here and other places that ecnl is where you have to be and that is not a fact.if ecnl is where all the coaches are going to watch then the less than 5 year argumaent is stupid.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 04:30 AM
Quote:

Hard Headed,

So, if I told you that I saw a U-17 game with 30 coaches at it; would you tell me that of the 30 players involved in the game (22 kids on the field and 4 on each bench), most were already committed to one of the 30 schools watching?

And if I told you that at the same event I saw a U-15 game with 6 coaches at it, would you tell me that all the other coaches were off getting a hot dog?

well i guess ecnl is not the top place to be by what you are saying. was just at disney and i know in one game we played there was the 13 players from our team that has committed and most of the opposing team had. were alot more coaches watching the younger ages than what you say were watching the younger ecnl teams. maybe were not getting a hot dog but must of been at the porta potty
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 04:55 AM
Wow. 13 players on your U-17 team have committed already? Your team must be very good. Which team is it? How have they done this year?

I take it you're obviously not in the ECNL. So you must have been at the top of R3PLE? Or, if not, you won your state's top league? I'm guessing you won your state cup and we'll see you at regionals?
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 12:22 PM
I've seen that team's list of commitments... it's pretty good.

Hard Headed, just curious how many of the players on that team stayed active with NC ODP?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 12:50 PM
Quote:

Wow. 13 players on your U-17 team have committed already? Your team must be very good. Which team is it? How have they done this year?

I take it you're obviously not in the ECNL. So you must have been at the top of R3PLE? Or, if not, you won your state's top league? I'm guessing you won your state cup and we'll see you at regionals?

Reebok they are a pretty good team but not state champs. Didnt even make final 4. Do not play R3PLE just the NC state league. Alot better teams in NC than there are in SC.Thats not bashing SC but it has been a fact for a long time.
Why do you think teams with alot of committments has to be state champs or something?
You would think the ECNL teams with all the hype and the presumption that it is the end all would have tons of committed players by now no matter if they won state or not. Looks like some clubs are working harder to get players exsposure other than taking their parents money to play in ECNL and just sticking a kid on the field. Got to have good training and that is not happening at every club.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 12:53 PM
Quote:

I've seen that team's list of commitments... it's pretty good.

Hard Headed, just curious how many of the players on that team stayed active with NC ODP?

Since we were scodp im not sure the total number of players from that team that did odp but it was a large part of them. I know a handful did it last year but not sure if any are doing it this last year.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 01:46 PM
Quote:

Reebok i forgot in my last reply that mine played 3 years in ECNL.I know how it works.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 04:00 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hard Headed,

well i guess ecnl is not the top place to be by what you are saying. was just at disney and i know in one game we played there was the 13 players from our team that has committed and most of the opposing team had. were alot more coaches watching the younger ages than what you say were watching the younger ecnl teams. maybe were not getting a hot dog but must of been at the porta potty

I don't know how many coaches are at each of these games in each age group. Mine was a hypothetical scenario used to disagree with your train of thought. You seemed to suggest that most u-17s should be committed by now and that most college coaches watching a u-17 game are probably watching their own players who have previously committed to them. I'm suggesting that that doesn't make much sense to me, certainly not when I've seen sidelines full of coaches at u-17 games. The numbers don't add up.

What also doesn't make sense to me, is this team that you're talking about. Let me see if I can follow your logic: the top teams from historically the best two clubs in NC play in the ECNL, the next two teams based on the previous year's state cup played R3PLE, the next 8-10 teams in NC play in the NC league (where you were), your team is full of very good players (13 have committed, yet only 5 from CSA have and apparently 8 from CASL have); and you didn't even make the semifinals of NC? Something doesn't add up.

Continuing to follow your logic when you say that NC has better teams than SC. That's probably true. I see in the u-17 ECNL that the two NC teams are 1st and 2nd and they are ahead of the SC team. But of the NC teams that are left, (take CASL and CSA out of the mix) and how do they compare? Last year I believe the SC team you're questioning competed in regionals, as did the NC state champion and the SC team won and went onto nationals. I believe they also competed in R3PLE as did 3-4 NC teams. SC finished ahead of all of them I believe. Shouldn't we see this year's NC state champion win regionals? or at least come very close? If they don't, and they finished very far ahead of your team, what does that mean? By the way, do the teams that finished ahead of you in NC have 14 committed players?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:07 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hard Headed,

I don't know how many coaches are at each of these games in each age group. Mine was a hypothetical scenario used to disagree with your train of thought. You seemed to suggest that most u-17s should be committed by now and that most college coaches watching a u-17 game are probably watching their own players who have previously committed to them. I'm suggesting that that doesn't make much sense to me, certainly not when I've seen sidelines full of coaches at u-17 games. The numbers don't add up.

What also doesn't make sense to me, is this team that you're talking about. Let me see if I can follow your logic: the top teams from historically the best two clubs in NC play in the ECNL, the next two teams based on the previous year's state cup played R3PLE, the next 8-10 teams in NC play in the NC league (where you were), your team is full of very good players (13 have committed, yet only 5 from CSA have and apparently 8 from CASL have); and you didn't even make the semifinals of NC? Something doesn't add up.

Continuing to follow your logic when you say that NC has better teams than SC. That's probably true. I see in the u-17 ECNL that the two NC teams are 1st and 2nd and they are ahead of the SC team. But of the NC teams that are left, (take CASL and CSA out of the mix) and how do they compare? Last year I believe the SC team you're questioning competed in regionals, as did the NC state champion and the SC team won and went onto nationals. I believe they also competed in R3PLE as did 3-4 NC teams. SC finished ahead of all of them I believe. Shouldn't we see this year's NC state champion win regionals? or at least come very close? If they don't, and they finished very far ahead of your team, what does that mean? By the way, do the teams that finished ahead of you in NC have 14 committed players?

Reebok im going to try and answer your questions the best i can.
First i will say that the two so called best teams in NC(i guess we will say that since everyone thinks that the ecnl teams are the best in their states) probably were not the best in NC this past year. I do not believe either one of them would of won state.With having a older daughter that played several years in NC i can say that to me the NC state champ this year was one of the best teams i have seen in a long time. Not sure either ecnl NC team could beat them.As a matter of fact i know the CSA ECNL team lost to some NC premier teams in friendlies. I know it was friendlies or college showcase games but still a loss.
As far as this past years two R3PLE east teams from NC , neither were anywhere close to being one of the top teams in NC.
As far as the team mine plays on it is like this. No they are not the best team in NC. Top four at best. Top 5 if you throw in the two ECNL teams. nc is not like SC. You have more games to play to get to the State championship. If you have a bad game and do not play well then you have no one to blame but yourself. Got knocked out of making the final 4 by the eventual state champions who like i said before is one of the best teams i have seen in NC in a long time.
The NC state league is alot stronger than what R3PLE has come to. It is not what is was in years past so using that carries no weight. Im not sure what doesnt add up to you. Maybe if we have so many more commited than some higher ranked teams then it looks like the club mine is with is doing a better job at getting the kids exsposure/recruited.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hard Headed,

Reebok here is the list. I still believe that if kids are playing ECNL they should be commited long before others.Here is the team and number of players commited to each.

LSU-1
OLE MISS-3
TENN-1
STETSON-1
UNCG-1
APP STATE-2
WINTHROP-1
MARSHALL-1
USC UPSTATE-1
There is one more but can not remember which school.Slips my mind right now.Im not saying that players that are commited are better than players that are not. I am saying that not all ECNL teams are better than non ECNL teams. My question is , does this mean that maybe some clubs are working harder to get the exsposure and get kids recruited than some other clubs are. Just being in ECNL does not mean a player will get recruited. There is alot more to it than that.I have one playing in college now so i know there is more to it.

if i didnt respond to all your questons just let me know
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:19 PM
By the way Reebok. Dont go down the winning reginals last year road
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:19 PM
Ok, so the NC state champion is really that good. I'm assuming they will have a very good showing this summer. Were they down at Disney also? How did they do?

Maybe your club is doing that good of a job getting kids exposure and getting them recruited. Are the 18s all committed? How about the 16s?
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:21 PM
Nevermind, I just looked it up. TUSA beat PDA's second team, lost to a team from Southern Ohio and lost to Michigan Hawks' second team
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:27 PM
Quote:

Ok, so the NC state champion is really that good. I'm assuming they will have a very good showing this summer. Were they down at Disney also? How did they do?

Maybe your club is doing that good of a job getting kids exposure and getting them recruited. Are the 18s all committed? How about the 16s?

Not sure if they went to disney or not. We did and finished 2 wins and 2 ties.
Not sure about 18s and 16s. I know the 16s or 15s one was the state champs.
The guy that took over the club and is our coach is finishing his second year.
I would say our club is doing that good of a job. when you have 20 coaches coming in for practice im sure they are not just coming in on their own.
The NC state champs were and i guess still are coached by a former UNC womens player who was on the National team if i am not mistaken.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:33 PM
Quote:

Nevermind, I just looked it up. TUSA beat PDA's second team, lost to a team from Southern Ohio and lost to Michigan Hawks' second team

Not sure who they played or if they did.our team is lake norman. you can look it up also. you said cesa had 5 commited from the 17s. i knew of 4 so where did the 5th commit to? ecnl kids should be commited or close to it by now. 4 or 5 players is not a good showing.
you know reebok. harry changed his username to (truth) or something but you are starting to sound alot like him. or just another parent up their butt.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 05:36 PM
Quote:

sorry reebok i forgot one thing. the list of coaches i posted, most said they are done with their 2014s. that is why i brought up about commiting by now.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 06:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure who they played or if they did.our team is lake norman. you can look it up also. you said cesa had 5 commited from the 17s. i knew of 4 so where did the 5th commit to? ecnl kids should be commited or close to it by now. 4 or 5 players is not a good showing.
you know reebok. harry changed his username to (truth) or something but you are starting to sound alot like him. or just another parent up their butt.

I actually said the Southeast Conference leaders in ECNL had 5. They should panic according to you. I don't know about other teams. I only know what I can look up.

So you talked to most of the coaches on the list you put up about their 2014 class? That's interesting. "up their butt" was interesting too.

When did your daughter commit? This year, last year? Which one of those schools is she going to?
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 06:16 PM
The list of schools you provided is actually very impressive. You'll have to keep us updated on these players' college careers. Again, it just doesn't add up: you have 13 players committed to some very good programs (and some average ones) but looking at your results you tied a NH team in Disney that lost 5-1 to the '4th ranked' team in East NY. You tied the '3rd ranked' team from WI. (not exactly a traditional soccer powerhouse state) You then managed to pull off a 1-0 win over the '17th ranked' team in Florida who has lost 8 of it's last 12 games. Finally, ending Disney with a 2-1 win over another NY East team ('ranked' 5th in that half of the state) who has won 4 of their last 10 games. Shouldn't your results be better with so many kids committed to SEC schools? And I'm still confused about how a team loaded with such players isn't making the semifinals of a state whose 'top two' teams aren't in the competition and the rest of the teams couldn't finish higher than lowly SC in R3PLE last year or in regionals.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 07:18 PM
Still not sure what doesnt add up to you. You are trying to go by wins and losses as to what confusses you on where these kids are going to play at in college. As far as keeping up with their careers you will have to do that your self. Not sure of the ranks of teams we play are but rankings have never meant to much. You play who you play mo matter what rank they are. Its kinda like cesa winning reginals last year when all the supposidly good teams not there anymore because of ecnl. It just kinda makes my point that some clubs are not all about taking your money to play in a so called top league but are really working for the kids. That includes training and all. Not just putting them out on a field. Maybe what you should look at what is not adding up is why the ecnl teams do not have more players signed.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 07:22 PM
Reebok didnt say i talked to them but i can see how you tookbit that way. From some of the parents those schools are done. The one mine is going to said they are done also
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/18/13 08:10 PM
reebok
to show you rankings mean nothing. cesa 17s lost or tied in ecnl to teams that are ranked lower than we are by gotsoccer. so why is it so hard for you to understand why we have many commited players? doesnt have anything to do with how good a team is or what league they play in.
i think it is just some clubs are working harder for the players. such as coaches and the club in general contacting schools and getting schools out to practice and such.
what would you rather have? a club putting in the effert with great training, playing in the likes of disney,casl and so fourth getting coaches out to practices and players committing and it doesnt cost much. or would you want playing in a so called top league but not getting all that. and a high price tag. just a general question. dont forget that odp was a good place for that but seems to have fallen off some.
so it takes me back to my original question somewhat. why is so many players commiting from a lesser team in your eyes and not from the ecnl teams. you can say what you want. the later the year goes the less 2014 money there will be.the 2014 spots will fill up and someone will get left out.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 02:07 PM
Quote:

Still not sure what doesnt add up to you.
Quote:

Here are the things that aren't adding up for me:

First and foremost: You are saying that most U-17s should be committed by now, yet the top ranked team in the Southeast ECNL has only 5 players committed. The second place team has 8-10, depending on who you ask. The third ranked team has 6 committed players. That doesn't add up.

Second: Yes, I do expect there to exist a corelation between having 8 players good enough to play in the SEC and SoCon and having success on the field at U-17. You are telling me that your team has those talented players and good training. Yet, I believe that your overall results have been mediocre in a mediocre league. That doesn't add up.

Finally: You continue to bring up CESA's U-17 team and you continue to question how good the ECNL is. So let's look at it: CESA won regionals last year and did well at nationals having 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw. They were the only current ECNL team in the competitions. In ECNL this year, they have 7 wins 5 losses and 6 draws. Albion was in regionals last year and lost to CESA in the semifinals. Yet in ECNL this year, they have 8 wins, 6 losses and 4 draws. Both of these teams were extremely succussful in USYSA last year and have been average, just barely above .500. Yet, you would tell us that the ECNL is not any tougher/better than playing R3PLE or the NC statewide league. That doesn't add up.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 02:44 PM
I've read this whole thread about college commitments and the U17 ECNL team. But, in the end it would seem that we should be looking at the U18 team. Does it matter when they make the verbal commitment (maybe they have several options and are weighing all of them or maybe they just haven't let the world know they have made that verbal commitment)? Every player but one on the U18 team is committed. I'm impressed with that (I am also impressed with the list of commitments from HH's daughter's team). Whether or not the U17 will look the same later in the spring is yet to be seen. But, it does seem that ECNL has worked out for the players that were U14 when ECNL began.
Posted By: lvrpul Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 03:50 PM
Why not name the team so commits can be verified-only team mentioned with a top 50 program is Tennessee and only one player committed there
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 05:32 PM
Quote:

Why not name the team so commits can be verified-only team mentioned with a top 50 program is Tennessee and only one player committed there

I can only go by what I've heard, but I do trust that all but one of the U18 ECNL team is committed. In a few weeks we will know for sure that the players actually signed and where they are going. Until then I have no reason to think otherwise.

This whole top 50 thing is a bit ridiculous too. Players choose a school for a lot of reasons, and many choose it for academics, as they should. If they aren't in a program that was in the top 50 this year, it doesn't necessarily mean they are settling.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 07:56 PM
Reebok
i never said the nc state league is as strong as ecnl league. if i remember right i did say it was better than R3PLE. mine played ecnl for 3 years as you know. the ecnl league is not as strong as people think. just about any club can get in these days. we have played and i have seen teams play this year,not just nc teams that are better than what i saw mine play against in ecnl league. in the ecnl league you play some teams that are very good, average and some that should not be there. remember reebok we were part of ecnl. i know what the ecnl league is like. reebok since you like rankings so much look at the teams cesa played in ecnl league and tell me what their average rank is. i know one team is ranked like 660 nationaly. see which teams that beat and lost to. it was you that brought up rankings so by your standards if you look at the rankings of teams in cesas part of the league then ecnl is not that strong.
i can help you with a few on the u17s. between 5 teams i looked up cesa 17s were 3 wins 3 ties and 2 losses against them. their state ranks were :
4,2,5,7 and 12
their region ranks were:
24,90,25,22 and 37
their national rank was :
156,505,159,151 and 228.
like i said . since you like bringing up rankings so much look at the combined rankings of teams the 17s played in ecnl and then you can see how strong it is by your definition. i think rankings are a joke but.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 08:02 PM
Quote:

if you go back and look i think i did mention the team and club. you can call and confirm it if you like.from i was told last night that 2 more were have or were going to commite this weekend.cant confirm that.like i said in other post these rankings mean very little except for seeding , ego boosters and for the top few teams in the country. there are school not in there that play a harder schedule than some of the smaller schools and then there are smaller schools that are better than big schools but dont get the love.
my question for you is do tou think players shouldnt go to a school beacause of its soccer ranking?
you can ask deltdog and a few others on here. i may piss some people off on here on purpose but not going to lie. the list is for real.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 08:31 PM
my original question was to get harry,truth or reebok, what ever he is going by these days to tell us how parents spending a ton of money for average training was helping in the recruitment process. i know players commite at different times but my point was that if ecnl is all it is talked up to be then many more players should be commited.not talking about any other league just ecnl players. there are alot of good players at cesa and i do not think they are doing enough for these kids as far as getting them recruited and to schools they may rather go to other than where they end up. years ago when we played R3PLE for several years with cesa there was no ecnl. cesa worked their butts off to train and win state so they could get their teams and players in front of college coaches at places like disney,casl and others. that was a big selling point to get players to drive from all over the state to play for cesa.
now cesa knows that no matter what, by being in ecnl their teams and players will play at events loaded with college coaches.that with very little effort on cesas part and a high price tag to the parents.
you can do the same thing playing at disney and casl. so now that cesa has no girl state champs will those players from the midlands and low country stop the long drive to greenville and stay home to play on teams that can get them in front of college coaches at the big tournys and at a lot cheaper price tag.
just looks like to me or i know it does from about 6 years with cesa that cesas direction they chose to go in was for cesas benifit and not the players.
i would say sc united mp came out the best. they kept working at it and are now where cesa once was.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 10:56 PM
Probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Well done. Wow.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. *DELETED* - 01/20/13 11:16 PM
Post deleted by Kyle Heise
Posted By: Boots Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 11:34 PM
Quote:

Harry, how has ECNL helped with players being recruited? How many u-17s(95s) have committed? This late in the process most should be done.

Ohhhh I get it now! You're trying to figure out if any of the 17s got a better deal than LSU!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 11:43 PM
Reebok i will answer this the best i can on my phone. Called the coach a mf. Dont know if i am welcome or not at csa. Left on our own free will. Cost to much. Wasnt going to poor house for soccer. Never played at csa but one year. Before cesa played on basically a rec team. Came back to cesa because the coach called and offered a spot even thought she hadnt tried out. Even before try outs. Did go out on field and was pissed atref. Something i shouldnt of done. Game ended and mine was hurt and ref told not to got to her. Wrong thing to do. As far as the rest of your stuff not sure how to answer some of it but dont back away from what you brought up. You base all your opinions on rankings so go add it all up then tell where the difference is of who played who and where they are ranked. Sounds like ancop out on your part if you ask me.
Posted By: MT4ME Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 11:57 PM
How's Wake Forest?

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/girls-soccer/post/_/id/2665/wake-forest-picks-up-cesa-defender

I have also heard that the U18 players have committed to USC, UNCG, University of Richmond, Penn, but we'll know the entire list in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/20/13 11:58 PM
Oh, you called the coach a MF. Either way, I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity. Seriously, absolutely legendary stories.

And again, I'm certainly not arguing with you. I'm really not. I just thought I based most of my opinions on other things. For instance, the fact that CSA and CASL put their top teams in ECNL and their 2nd teams in either R3PLE or NC Premier League; and the fact that CESA was second in R3PLE and won regionals, but were only a little above .500 in ECNL last year and this year. And the fact that you're saying most U-17s should be committed but CSA, CASL, VSI and CESA don't have 'most' of their U-17s committed. But again, you're right, I'm taking your word for it over their track records, I'm definitely NOT arguing with you. Don't want you coming after me too.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 12:04 AM
Quote:

How's Wake Forest?

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/girls-soccer/post/_/id/2665/wake-forest-picks-up-cesa-defender

I have also heard that the U18 players have committed to USC, UNCG, University of Richmond, Penn, but we'll know the entire list in a couple of weeks.

It says that article was posted 4/26/12. So that would have been in April of her U-17 year, is that correct? So, Wake Forest still had room in April for that class? Interesting.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 12:29 AM
Reebok casl has 11 commited from what was told today. You brought records,rankings and that you couldnt understand how out team has so many commited. I jst asked you to look at the rankings of the teams cesa 17s played so far this year in ecnl. It was for benefit to show you that rankings mean nothing. You are just trying to change the subject to keep from the reality. Never said ecnl was bad but it is not what it is made out to be.just go do the math on the rankings. Youndid bring it up so stop dodgeing it
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 12:59 AM
I actually agree with you. Rankings are ridiculous. TUSA, who you said is one of the best teams you've ever seen is 3rd in NC. North Meck is ranked ahead of them even though TUSA won the NC league and State Cup, and North Meck (like Lake Norman) didn't make the semifinals. CASL's first team and CSA's first team aren't anywhere to be found in the rankings. (because they don't get any USYSA 'points' by playing in the ECNL against other clubs' top teams)

Again, I'm not arguing. I'm agreeing with you. These rankings are ridiculous. I believe I even said so in another thread where someone mentioned the "11th ranked team in the nation" and they turned out to have lost something like 6 of their last 10 games. By the way, checking today, this "11th ranked team in the nation" has somehow moved up to #10 after going 0-3 at Disney. So, I'm not 'dodgeing' it, I'm agreeing with you.

Do you agree with me that CASL and CSA put their top teams in ECNL and their second teams in other leagues, including R3PLE and NC Premier?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 01:29 AM
Reebok i will agree that casl and csa has their top teams in ecnl. Tusa is ranked 3rd in the state because north meck and winston salem played in r3ple. We play a team sunday from up north that by some ranking is number 1 in the country. I will let you knownif they live up to that.
Posted By: observer Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 02:09 AM
From my observation I would say that player development and staying focused on what is best for the children ( because they are after all still children ) should be at the forefront of what clubs do. Team success doesn't always need to be measured by wins and losses or by who commits to where. Are the players learning? Are their skills progressing? Are they being appropriately challenged? Are they happy? It is easy to see who really cares about the success of the player vs running a business.
I don't agree with comparing where children choose to play or not to each other. When to make this choice is subject to each individual's needs. It is my hope that all who wish to continue playing may! Why not celebrate the accomplishments of these great players from our state?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 02:10 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Ohhhh I get it now! You're trying to figure out if any of the 17s got a better deal than LSU!

. K. Boots sorry i dint see your post until now but i hope all of them get great deals and get to go on and play in college. Not sure what u mean by better offer. Mine got a good deal
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 03:05 AM
Quote:

Reebok i will agree that casl and csa has their top teams in ecnl. Tusa is ranked 3rd in the state because north meck and winston salem played in r3ple. We play a team sunday from up north that by some ranking is number 1 in the country. I will let you knownif they live up to that.

Is it Match Fit? According to gotsoccer, Match Fit is ranked #1 nationally. It also says that the last game they played was a 2-1 loss to Cleveland United. It also says that Cleveland United tied CESA at Nationals in Rock Hill in July. That will be interesting.

Of course, back to our opinions about rankings, according to this list on gotsoccer http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/resul...ion=&State= Match Fit has the #1 ranked team in the nation in U-17 in their club as well as the #7 and #9 ranked teams in the country; all in the same club. That gotsoccer sure is on the ball.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 05:26 AM
Reebok this is mot arguing with but just replying to somenod your earlier post and things i missed. When we made the decision to leave csa because of cost they actually asked what we could pay but we did not want to do that. Even though my daughter was leaving they held no grudge and still took her to the texas event and played up with a older age group. After deciding to leave cesa she was not even allowed to be part of the team at reginals. She had broken her leg that feb and got released from the doctor 1 week before reginals. I had called her coach and told him and also told him that she most likely couldnt play. To close to being released from the doc and had no practice. When she tried to call and ask about it he wouldnt even take her calls. When i had the incident with the refs the coach never came onto the field to check on her. He was to busy getting the rest of the team to the cornerbof the field after getting their butts kicked. I will say one thing about cesa. They have great people working as the trainers. They get there as fast as they can and do a great job
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/21/13 11:56 AM
Quote:

Quote:

How's Wake Forest?

It says that article was posted 4/26/12. So that would have been in April of her U-17 year, is that correct? So, Wake Forest still had room in April for that class? Interesting.

Wake will have made its first round of offers in the Fall for that year based on the money the coach believes will be available. That doesn't mean you won't see commitments coming later nor does it mean a later offer is necessarily less. The coach's athletic scholarship budget is limited, but it can change unexpectedly during the course of a year. Schools that think they can attract top talent will make their offers to their top picks in the Fall based on what the coaches perceive their budgets to be at the time. They have to.

I'm thinking HH's point is that club teams considering themselves elite national level teams should be developing players capable of being included in those "first round" Fall offers.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 01:10 AM
According to topdrawersoccer Wake currently has 5 players already committed for class of 2014 (current u17).
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 02:14 AM
Quote:

I'm thinking HH's point is that club teams considering themselves elite national level teams should be developing players capable of being included in those "first round" Fall offers.

If you go back to the first post that started this thread, I don't think his point has anything to do with clubs being elite or national level; but rather, if you're a U-17 player you should have a committment locked up by now because "This late in the process most should be done." I think that many clubs produce players capable of securing offers early in the process. I just didn't agree with the statement about how "most" should be committed and tried to offer a counterpoint through example, fact, and even sarcasm. I don't think it has gotten through. Some people are just hard headed.

Somehow we got off on talking about rankings and clubs and records and leagues. I think the biggest problem with trying to have a simple conversation is the way that it was brought up. If HH really wanted to know the answer to his question about how many CESA U-17s have committed, there are many people he could have called at the club and I'm sure that the phone numbers are easily accessible. In reading this thread, it is clear to me that he is bitter with the club, the coach, the league and probably many other things. So, he went on a public forum in an attempt to imply "my team is better than your team" or something like that. (which, by the way, he has every right to do) I just think that his point might have been better received if he had said something like, "congratulations to the 13 players on my team who have committed".

In fact, there was another thread where someone did just that. They congratulated a team for a recent accomplishment. I had questions about some of the details and asked them in another thread so as not to take away from the team in question. However, this thread was initiated in a much different manner and is actually in keeping with the stories I have heard about the man known as Hard Headed.
Posted By: Liverpool Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 02:55 AM
Quote:

Quote:

If you go back to the first post that started this thread, I don't think his point has anything to do with clubs being elite or national level; but rather, if you're a U-17 player you should have a committment locked up by now because "This late in the process most should be done." I think that many clubs produce players capable of securing offers early in the process. I just didn't agree with the statement about how "most" should be committed and tried to offer a counterpoint through example, fact, and even sarcasm. I don't think it has gotten through. Some people are just hard headed.

Somehow we got off on talking about rankings and clubs and records and leagues. I think the biggest problem with trying to have a simple conversation is the way that it was brought up. If HH really wanted to know the answer to his question about how many CESA U-17s have committed, there are many people he could have called at the club and I'm sure that the phone numbers are easily accessible. In reading this thread, it is clear to me that he is bitter with the club, the coach, the league and probably many other things. So, he went on a public forum in an attempt to imply "my team is better than your team" or something like that. (which, by the way, he has every right to do) I just think that his point might have been better received if he had said something like, "congratulations to the 13 players on my team who have committed".

In fact, there was another thread where someone did just that. They congratulated a team for a recent accomplishment. I had questions about some of the details and asked them in another thread so as not to take away from the team in question. However, this thread was initiated in a much different manner and is actually in keeping with the stories I have heard about the man known as Hard Headed.

Sorry that I've missed these theatrics! AF is that you? What good can come of this from a delusional Dad and 2 pretty good soccer players? You bullied a lot at the North/South several years ago running some bush-league CESA camp at Furman U., and was a bit player at Virginia Tech. You are as guilty of all this as Hard Headed!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 03:17 AM
Quote:

Quote:

reebok you got it all wrong. if you do go back and look at the first post that started this thread, i stated ecnl in the post so as usual you are wrong.
there is no we in getting off track on the rankings. you brought up rankings and used it to try and show the level our team plays at and that it didnt make sense to you how we had so many committed players. i never tried to say whos team is better than whos. you again did that by trying to bring the rankings of the teams we have played. trying to say your team is better because we play lower ranked teams.(so you thought)i told you several times that rankings mean nothing. when i brought up rankings of the teams cesa u 17s have played this year which on average is lower than the ones we have played. you then tried to deflect it by changing the subject on where my kids have played and who likes or dislikes me. then you decided that having the rankings thrown back into your face you tried to play nice and say we both can agree that rankings mean nothing. they meant alot to you before.
me bringing in that we have 13 commitments came in later in the tread when we were discussing why college coaches are watching the u 17s play. i said they come to watch their players that are already committed and you said no that wasnt it. i just stated that with the 13 players from our team that was committed and most of the other team had thats why i stated the coaches were watching their committed players. so do not try to make this out that i started this thread to show how many players we have committed.
as far as being bitter with cesa you are right about that. i have never tried to keep that a secret. its not with cesa as a whole but just a couple of people. played 3 years in ecnl so there was no problem there other than the cost.wouldnt of stayed 3 years if i had a problem with it.
you got all the reasons wrong on why i made the post. you stated i could of done it a better way! you think you could of done it a better way than the way you did trying to disprove how many commitments we have. you tried to use rankings and it came back to bite you in the butt.
stop acting like you have heard stuff about me from other people. you know who i am so man or woman up and cut out the act. i have never hide who i was on here. you have said we or were when it comes to the u17s to many times for you not to be involved with that team either as a parent or the coach or someone from cesa.
the thread did get out of hand once you brought in rankings but my question was how has ecnl helped in recruiting and shouldnt they be committed by now. you took it down this path. you would think that ecnl players with all the coaches they play in front of would have players commiting earlier than say a rec player.
so... have you pulled up those rankings yet? im sure you have but you do not want to post them.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 03:19 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry that I've missed these theatrics! AF is that you? What good can come of this from a delusional Dad and 2 pretty good soccer players? You bullied a lot at the North/South several years ago running some bush-league CESA camp at Furman U., and was a bit player at Virginia Tech. You are as guilty of all this as Hard Headed!

not sure what i am delusional about. i see cesa pretty good for what they are.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 03:48 AM
Quote:

I'll agree that nothing good is coming from this conversation. As for the rest, I really don't know what you're talking about.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 11:31 AM
Reebok you keep bringing up these stories about me. How about telling us a few if them. Would be nice to see how my legend has grown. While you are at it post those rankings.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 11:59 AM
Are these the rankings I'm supposed to post?

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/resul...=3&State=NC

The ones that have Charlotte's mix of U15/U16 ECNL team as the #10 U17 team in NC, CASL's 2nd team as #13, Charlotte's 2nd U17 team as #14, CASL's 3rd and 4th team as #17 and #18, yet CASL's 1st team and Charlotte's 1st team not ranked at all?

By the way, this is the same site that has CESA's 2nd team reanked #1 in SC and #7 in the region even though they went winless in R3PLE this year, with their 1st team playing in ECNL.

Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 12:24 PM
Isnt this the same site you used for rankings when you were trying to disprove how many players we had commited? now you are trying to make it sound like it is not up to par. it was good for you then so why isnt it now. post the rankings of the teams cesa 17s played during this season so we can see how the ecnl stacks up.

and how about telling me some more stories you have about me.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 01:15 PM
Teams CESA U17 have played:

CSA 1st team. Ranked 1st in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by gotsoccer. Haven't played in 2 years. CESA has a 3-2 loss and 1-1 draw.
CASL 1st team. Ranked 2nd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by got soccer. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE champions, NC State Cup champions, regional semifinalists. CESA has 3-0 loss
VSI 1st team. Ranked 3rd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA as West FL Premier, regional quarterfinalists, FL state champion. CESA has two 1-1 draws.
Atlanta Fire 1st team. Ranked 4th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE 2nd place, GA state champions, regional quarterfinalists. CESA has 2-0 loss and 1-0 win.
BUSA 1st team. Ranked 7th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, AL state champion, regional quarterfinalist. CESA has 3-1 win and 0-0 draw.

Is that what you were looking for?

All this according to the ECNL website.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 01:42 PM
come on reebok. you know what i am looking for. you used gotsoccer rankings to show how we stack up as a team, how the teams we played at disney stack up and how you couldnt understand/believe why we have so many committments with us being such a lowly team. just use the gotsoccer rankings for all the teams your cesa u17s played this year. this part of our argument never was about cesa and how good they are. they are a good team. this part of the argument was about you bringing in the gotsoccer rankings on who we play. just do the same for cesa and anyone else. if you do not want to post it just send me a pm. i dont mind. or we can just put it to bed and say the gotsoccer rankings mean nothing no matter if a team plays in ecnl or anything else.
and then you can tell me some more stories on why i am a legend.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 02:17 PM
reebok i got one even better on how we can put this all to rest and you can shut me up. i will never say anything about cesa one way or the other on this board or any other if it doesnt involve me. it is simple to do and im sure cesa as a whole would be fine with that.

Have Fleming call me.he has my number.
Posted By: reebok Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/22/13 04:40 PM
What am I, you're administrative assistant? I'm sure you can call him. I'm sure you have his number. If not, I'm sure you can call the CESA office and they can probably put you in touch with him.
Posted By: James Gray Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 02:04 PM
And this my friends is exactly why I will not have my kids play club soccer. I don't want to spend my time around people that think the world revolves around soccer. There is no way that I could spend countless hours around people like you every weekend while my kids played, I would have to shoot myself in the head to make the pain end....
Posted By: Chantman Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 02:57 PM
Quote:

And this my friends is exactly why I will not have my kids play club soccer. I don't want to spend my time around people that think the world revolves around soccer. There is no way that I could spend countless hours around people like you every weekend while my kids played, I would have to shoot myself in the head to make the pain end....

If this bothers you, don't go to the GA Soccer Forum Board.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 04:51 PM
Quote:

. Thanks for your imput. I guess it is good you are not around people like me. I wouldnt want you to shoot yourself in the head
Posted By: James Gray Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 05:48 PM
Just to clarify, I was referring to the two knuckleheads going at it on here, not every soccer parent.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 05:55 PM
Quote:

Just to clarify, I was referring to the two knuckleheads going at it on here, not every soccer parent.

looking back at your post it looks like you have gone at it a few times on here yourself.
Posted By: James Gray Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/23/13 07:14 PM
I have gotten into some disagreements in the past, but have taken a much more laid back approach lately. It isn't worth getting all heated and arguing, it just doesn't matter. In the end, it is just a game...and if the kids aren't having fun playing the game, it isn't worth keeping them playing or playing yourself if you can't enjoy it! And then to see you guys going at it...I find it fruitless. You are arguing about who has commited, and how important it is to comit to a good school, or get a scholarship. Here is what I found...

With over 1,200+ men’s college soccer programs across the country and over 1,400 women’s programs finding a scholarship is harder then you might think.

Coaches divide their money up and very rarely give full ride scholarships.

For women’s programs there are a maximum of 14 scholarships for a DI team, 9.9 for DII, 12 for NAIA programs and a fully funded NJCAA program has up to 18 scholarships per team.

Men’s soccer can offer 9.9 scholarships per team DI, 9 per team DII, 12 at the NAIA level and 18 scholarships per team for NJCAAA programs.

When you compare the cost of the club teams from where I currently live, you are going to expend $1500 for an entry level club for the year, not including tournaments, travel or other expenses you incur for the year. You figure that you are going to spend at least $3000 for the year, more likely you will approach the $4000 to $5000 mark. If your child starts playing at age 8 on a club team, and you spend on average $4000 a year....lets do the math...you end up paying $40,000 for your child to play soccer. If you took that money and invested it, and earned 5% a year for those 10 years, you would end up with $50311. That is a healthy chunk of money that would be available to use for your childs education rather than banking on a college soccer scholarship....let alone you are going to be taking away from their academic studies and lower their chances of getting an academic scholarship.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/24/13 11:52 AM
Liverpool... reebok isn't "AF". Probably in the right park, but wrong player.

James Gray... those numbers are reasonable, and my speculation is that on any given College team there's a good chance that more academic money is going to the players than athletic. Further, I think coaches look closely at academic records to know what academic scholarships the player may be able to qualify for when developing the athletic scholarship offer.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/24/13 11:57 AM
reebok... you either seem to be blowing smoke about gotsoccer rankings for some reason, or you don't understand them. Gotsoccer rankings have always been based on points earned through results on the field, and points available to be earned are not restricted to USYSA events and teams. Gotsoccer #4 u-17 is an ECNL team without points from USYSA leagues or cups... all ECNL and tournament results. Points earned by a team are good for a 12 month period.

Quote:

Quote:

We play a team sunday from up north that by some ranking is number 1 in the country. I will let you knownif they live up to that.

Is it Match Fit? According to gotsoccer, Match Fit is ranked #1 nationally. It also says that the last game they played was a 2-1 loss to Cleveland United. It also says that Cleveland United tied CESA at Nationals in Rock Hill in July. That will be interesting.

Of course, back to our opinions about rankings, according to this list on gotsoccer http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/resul...ion=&State= Match Fit has the #1 ranked team in the nation in U-17 in their club as well as the #7 and #9 ranked teams in the country; all in the same club. That gotsoccer sure is on the ball.

Gotsoccer, given its points system, does seem to be on the ball with the Match Fit rankings. The team ranked #1 earned points in 13 ranked events (2 leagues... #1 and #2, plus no lower than semifinalist but mostly as champions in multiple tournaments Disney, PDA, CASL, Jefferson Cup, etc.). They also picked up points as finalist in last year's state cup. The team they lost state cup final to is the Match Fit team ranked #8. That team added to its state cup points with points as regional finalist, a high Region I Premier league finish, a 2nd in USYSA National League (which will be replaced in March with its points finishing as this season's #1 in the USYSA National League qualifying the team for next summers National Championships), also champions of NJYS Nat Champ Series as well as tournament results at CASL, PDA, Disney, etc., but not as many tournaments entered as the first team. The #10 Gotsoccer ranked Match Fit team is US Club Soccer and has similar league, event and tournament results of the other two teams. Based on points associated with winning hardware (and Gotsoccer points)... the 3 Match Fit rankings are legit. One club, three seperate rosters (already checked).
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/24/13 12:04 PM
Quote:

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/resul...=3&State=NC

The ones that have Charlotte's mix of U15/U16 ECNL team as the #10 U17 team in NC, CASL's 2nd team as #13, Charlotte's 2nd U17 team as #14, CASL's 3rd and 4th team as #17 and #18, yet CASL's 1st team and Charlotte's 1st team not ranked at all?

By the way, this is the same site that has CESA's 2nd team reanked #1 in SC and #7 in the region even though they went winless in R3PLE this year, with their 1st team playing in ECNL.

What you're seeming to forget is the CSA, CASL and CESA u-17 ECNL teams (under new names) haven't won much to earn any points at Gotsoccer. Not playing tournaments to pick up points, none have ever won or even played in a state cup, and until current Southeast ECNL region league points are posted, they have little to no Gotsoccer points earned through results in ranked ECNL events.

Remember? The team I think you're calling "CESA's 2nd team" IS the CESA '95 Premier Team and the current reigning Region Champion still carrying those points at Gotsoccer. The CESA u-17 ECNL team (under that name?) has never gotten any results to earn any points. Now, if you want to debate that by claiming those prior state and region results don't really belong to the Premier team but actually to the ECNL team you might start by posting those club phone numbers. I think there are still some u-17 SCUMP parents that might like to give you a call and share a few words. Ah yes, the other side of the "no 50% minimum" rule change bugaboo.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/24/13 12:12 PM
Quote:

Teams CESA U17 have played:

CSA 1st team. Ranked 1st in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by gotsoccer. Haven't played in 2 years. CESA has a 3-2 loss and 1-1 draw.
CASL 1st team. Ranked 2nd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by got soccer. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE champions, NC State Cup champions, regional semifinalists. CESA has 3-0 loss
VSI 1st team. Ranked 3rd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA as West FL Premier, regional quarterfinalists, FL state champion. CESA has two 1-1 draws.
Atlanta Fire 1st team. Ranked 4th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE 2nd place, GA state champions, regional quarterfinalists. CESA has 2-0 loss and 1-0 win.
BUSA 1st team. Ranked 7th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, AL state champion, regional quarterfinalist. CESA has 3-1 win and 0-0 draw.

Is that what you were looking for?

All this according to the ECNL website.

As pointed out by the ECNL-only teams like Slammers (#4 Gotsoccer, ECNL Group A National Champ), Gotsoccer isn't a USYSA-only ranking. ECNL events are ranked events by Gotsoccer, but those teams you've listed have no ECNL results of note yet posted at Gotsoccer (sort of). And any of those teams' results from USYSA or tournaments over 12 months old, well those points have fallen out the back end.

Way up there somewhere you kind of dissed Gotsoccer with "That gotsoccer sure is on the ball." Well, for Match Fit it seems to be. Three seperate teams, probably always been that way, not a lot of confusion. Not like the dual roster, same name, different name, slight of hand straddling the USYSA/ECNL fence that CSA, CASL, CESA, etc. went through. Which brings us to your second misunderstanding of ranking services... your part, or your team managers' parts, or someone from the club's part in ensuring the information reported/provided to the ranking services is accurate. That includes sorting out the name changes with them. You've apparently never read the section on the team's page about "Reporting Mistakes or Missing Data". And the reason CESA u17 ECNL doesn't show up in the Gotsoccer rankings is probably because all its ECNL points are still posted with the Premier team (the team that just finished R3PLE) leaving the ECNL team with nothing to record and unknown. Contacting Gotsoccer to clarify isn't difficult.

"Gotsoccer" isn't the only ranking service out there. Another one is "SoccerInCollege", and there, too, CESA does have a bit of a mess in U-17, because it has dual registrations for its Premier team. The u-17 "CESA 95 Premier" (#1 in SC) is coached by Flemming and just lost all its games in R3PLE. The u-17 "CESA 95 Premier Girls" (#4 in SC) is coached by Hartmann with scores from two tournaments only listed. SoccerInCollege has no "CESA 95 ECNL" team listed. CESA is represented at SoccerInCollege just as at Gotsoccer, but the club doesn't seem to be, how should I put it... managing its brand very effectively?

If all you're doing is arguing who's got the best team based on a ranking, who cares. But in one regard, I believe the rankings do have some influence on recruiting. They affect tournament seedings, and it's been suggested on this site that college coaches are attracted by major events and may spend more time checking out teams in higher brackets than say maybe the tenth bracket down. Now, that might not matter to CESA if results aren't accurately reported/recorded if the only events its teams enter are ECNL events.

So much for rankings.

I agree with you that CESA has players (along with others in SC) that could/should be capable of getting offers earlier in the process. I think requiring early decisions is really tough on the kids, they have to make big decisions before they probably have any idea what they really want to study in college. However, the significance I place on whether or not the players have offers at this point doesn't mean I think there are no offers left to be had. There are definately colleges out there that haven't made any offers at this point. But, if a player is on a u-17 team at this time of year without an offer from a school that has players in the class already committed, then the player is either waiting on another player to make a decision to decline an offer before an offer can be made to her, or waiting on a returning college player to leave the team and free up more money. My opinion. I wouldn't drive the kids to ulcers with stress at 17 years old, but if I was sitting waiting and not already actively contacting colleges I'd start.

You jokingly responded to HH's first post... "They [CSA] should panic!" Maybe not, but 3 weeks after they and two other u-17 ECNL teams return from Texas those teams (including CSA) will be back in front of the coaches at Jefferson Cup (#9 ranked tournament at Gotsoccer... #11 is Disney).
Posted By: Bomber CESA wonders why? - 01/24/13 01:43 PM
"Came back to cesa because the coach called and offered a spot even thought she hadnt tried out. Even before try outs."

Quote from Hardheaded on 1/20/2013

And CESA wonders why some people get irritated with them.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/26/13 08:21 AM
Apparently the u-17 CSA ECNL team is not only playing ECNL event in Feb and Jefferson Cup in March it is also listed as applied for Southern Soccer Showcase in April along with... the team HH's daughter plays on. Maybe CESA can attend that April event? Y'all could get together and work it out...

(CSA is taking ECNL and USYSA teams to SSS in the u16 group. SSS is #112 ranked tournament at Gotsoccer.)
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/26/13 11:46 AM
Im good. No need for me to get together with him/her. How would i find reebok anyways. Seems to of vanished as fast as Harry does
Posted By: Cajunkid Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/26/13 02:53 PM
Funny how when the Harrys, the Reeboks and the upstatesoccermoms of the world get backed into a corner, they disappear.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/28/13 12:29 PM
Reebok, maybe you will show back up to answer this question since you are cesa's defender. If ecnl is the place to be for college coach exsposure, what is being done to get players from the premier and challenge teams college coach exsposure?
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/29/13 02:28 PM
Geez guys, the whole "college coach exposure" stuff is WAY overblown. Everybody KNOWS who the players are. They show up at events just to confirm their interest and what they already believe.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 03:42 AM
Not trying to argue against that, but if the coaches attend events only to confirm existing interest in already known players... how did the players become known in the first place? I think that may be the core question at the heart of the debate.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 12:08 PM
Many college coaches cultivate and enjoy club, country or high school connections/pipelines. For instance, ambitious (smart) club and high school coaches actively promote and make calls on behalf of their top kids. There is also an exceedingly active grapevine; i.e., what do you think college assistant coaches talk about?
This is NOT to say that coaches don't randomly stumble over kids. But that generally happens because they're at a match specifically to watch another kid.
In soccer, because most recruiting budgets are limited, kids do most of the heavy lifting, in terms of initial contacts and selling themselves. If you're worried about where your kid should play, select the best training environment that also offers reasonably elite competition (i.e., not high school).
The college coaches know which clubs do the best job in those areas.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 01:40 PM
Agreed on the networking, I've even known coaches while at ODP region camp to get calls from other coaches looking for recommendations. And I agree most, if not all, coaches at tournaments start with an itinerary based on specific players, although I can also say my own kids got letters from coaches at tournaments that neither my kids nor the club contacted.

So, would you say you believe the recruiting process is less influenced (the exposure question) by the league or tournament venues that the players play and more influenced by the college contacts initiated by the players as well as by the club on the players' behalf? There is also that part of your response "on behalf of their top kids." Going back to HH's last question to CESA, should members of CESA premier teams expect same level of support and promotion by the club as those players the club might consider "top level", or should those players not only expect to do the heavy lifting but actually all the lifting? Understood that colleges contacted by the club may differ based on expectations of players' abilities to compete at the various collegiate levels.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 03:37 PM
Good question, and quite complicated, actually.
1. A club/academy that actively promotes "exposure" when it's recruiting kids, SHOULD act on the kids' behalf with college recruiters. Do they? You tell me.
2. A kid/prospect who DOESN'T do a lot of the heavy lifting and self-promotion -- no matter what the club SAYS it will do -- is kidding himself.
3. Parents/players should understand that, when asked about players, HONEST club coaches will tell the whole story, warts and all. Why? Because if they don't, and a kid busts in college, the college recruiter will NEVER trust the club coach again.
4. Really, folks, what do you think college camps are for? (A. Make money. B. Evaluate prospects. C. Sell the college environment and staff. D. All of the above.) THAT WOULD BE D!

In short, good coaches are identifying prospects from the moment kids start playing, then allow "natural selection" to sort out the pretenders. If coaches really don't know about you by the time you're a high school junior, it probably ain't gonna happen.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 04:13 PM
Backscreen you and Delt give some thoughts on this. The part of my original question that got reebok going was that "most should be committed by now" and reeboks stance on it was that most should not. Kind of touching on the exsposure thing.Other than maybe a ECNL Texas event that cesa may be going to in Feb and some high school soccer, the chance for exsposure to college coaches is pretty much done until the fall season starts up when the rising u18s will be high school sr's. By that time a large number of colleges will be done with their 2014 class and the options left for a player will be limited. Not just on the money side of it but schools players may of wanted to attend and play soccer at may not be an option at that time and they have to settle for something less than what they wanted if they intend to play soccer in college.
Posted By: PitchDad Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 04:31 PM
If you haven't seen this page, it is a pretty good list of commitments. You can sort it by club, class, and school.

https://sites.google.com/site/soccerrecruits/
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 05:34 PM
FWIW, some very big programs hold grants open until late, for what they perceive as the best of the best. Spoke with a Louisville assistant who pretty much told me they somewhat discourage early commitments, and would rather wait to see EXACTLY what they're getting.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 06:24 PM
I understand the waiting to see exactly what they are getting but is u 17 to early to committe? When you say big programs that could be a select few. ( ND ,UNC ) and some others? Many of the big schools reload every year and im not sold on the fact that they are waiting around untill late 2013 to fill their 2014 class. On the other hand i guess the UNC's of the world that has so much talent can wait around but the large majority of schools cant.If you look at it from the other side, how long can players wait around before getting left out or not getting the money they may need to play at the school of their choice.Lets be honest. We hope our kids get to play at the school they want to attend and get as much money as possible to help pay for it. If we didnt care then we would leave them in a rec league. I just think the longer it takes or you wait the chances of that happening go down.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 06:28 PM
Quote:

If you haven't seen this page, it is a pretty good list of commitments. You can sort it by club, class, and school.

I know this site doesnt have all the committed players on it since someone has to send in the info but it is a great site to get an idea of how far along some schools are in filling their spots for a certain year.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/30/13 07:21 PM
Quote:

Someone's done a lot of work, and the tabs at the bottom break down the classes as well as clubs. I wouldn't hold the creator responsible for some commits missing from the list (doesn't seem that the list of colleges includes all that may have commits), but it's fairly extensive effort. Thanks for the link.

The list does include 782 players committed at this point in the class of 2014. I hope some commits are missing, but the list includes 10 players from HH's daughter's team, 2 players from SCUFC, 1 player from CESA. (Can anyone say whether or not those 2 SC club numbers are even close to accurate at this point?)

Backscreen, given those numbers (if we can accept them as at least close) and the factors we've been discussing, unless HH's daughter's team is just hands down loaded compared to the CESA and SCUFC teams should/could that indicate that the players/parents/coaches at those SC clubs (maybe it's just a SC thing generally) may not be as actively involved in the "heavy lifting" early enough in the process to see the results HH's daughter's team is seeing?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/31/13 01:04 PM
When i started this thread i rele wanted to know how the recruiting was going for the ecnl at cesa. Yes, partly to needle Harry a bit also.
I blame cesa for them being behind in the recruiting process. Since going to ecnl where it is guaranteed for the top teams to play in front of college coaches. Cesa is giving even less an effort when it comes to training and so on. It is starting to show. When my oldest went to Cesa you would see all the top team and many on the B team committe to play soccer in college. Now they cant get a whole top team into college to play soccer. That is with being in ecnl. Why?
I know this is going to cause an argument but i blame the cesa parents who's kids play on these top teams as much as i do anyone associated with cesa.Remember we were those parents at one time also. First off the parents need to demand better. The training and effort that cesa is giving as a whole is terrible.. If you are happy with what you are getting then you just dont know any better. I know most are not going to leave a ecnl team and go somewhere else.
It was always part of cesa's selling point that they go to disney, casl and so on with their top teams which then was premier. Now with ecnl it seems the premier and challege teams have been left behind. If the effort is not there for the ecnl teams then i know it is not for the cesa premier and challenge teams. It will be interesting to see if the migration of players turns around and heads back south to play on a state championship team or runner up so they can go to the disneys and casl's and in R3PLE.
The other thing is that alot (not all) cesa parents whose kids were on the top teams had an arrogance, over confidence or false sense of security that just because their kid plays for cesa on the top team that coaches are foaming out the mouth to come watch them play and recruite them. It does not work that way. I know someone will be mad about me saying that but remember i was one at one time also.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/31/13 01:22 PM
Deltadog i think some of the reason, other than cesa's lack of effort in why some teams are getting more committed at this time and others are not may partly be because of the type of soccer a team plays or is coached.. Could be that the type of soccer cesa is coaching right now with certain teams is not what some college coaches are looking for. That lack of good training and effort could be starting to show.
No matter what the reasons were that we left the one main reason was when after the seasons before the next tryouts i asked AF if there was going to be any change in how the girls were being trained and how over crowded the fields were and he said he did not see any changes being made.That was all i needed.
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/31/13 01:33 PM
One thing i meant to say and left out. There is to many talented players on the u17s and other teams at cesa for cesa to not be working harder for the players and parents in the recruting process. They are paying alot of money to play there. You have to remember. That unless a parent has already gone thru the recruiting process with a older player they have no idea how the process works. Maybe a club or coach that goes the extra mile for a player may help.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/31/13 02:45 PM
Over time, my son was pretty actively courted by several clubs other than his own. My sense was that those clubs were far more concerned about W's and L's than about high-quality training, and my son's overall welfare/future. Clubs were selling State Cups; not a high-quality, holistic approach to the club soccer experience.
Several kids bought the pitch, spent tons of hours on the road for training, or periodically trained in an un-challenging environment locally, and ultimately won a State Cup. Were they somehow better players than previously? Not that I could see. Indeed, you could make the case that some guys at their home club became better players in their absence.
So, what am I driving at?
If you're looking for "exposure" for your kid, and hoping it results in an athletic grant-in-aid, there are a bunch of clubs in the region that offer roughly the same product. The problem is, unless a player has been properly trained, that exposure is ultimately counter-productive.
When "shopping" for a club, ASK questions and PRESS for answers. Focus on the quality of the TRAINING experience and environment, as opposed to who players where and wins what.
Then, invest a few bucks in sending your kid to good, competitive college camps, where you can be SURE coaches will see and evaluate them.
Right now, some clubs (you decide who) are bottling and selling hope to unknowing parents. It's up to you to figure out which ones.
Posted By: gbdawgs Re: Harry how about showing up. - 01/31/13 06:00 PM

This girls team was arguably the best girls team to ever come out of CESA, so it's safe too say by looking at the colleges listed below that these girls were not rewarded by being recruited by the who's who in girls college soccer. Looks like the girls we're rewarded based on academics, not soccer, which is good.CESA needs to do a better job of getting better soccer schools to come watch their ECNL teams play.CESA might be going to ECNL events, but it doesn't look like college coaches are aware their there.

Quote:

How's Wake Forest?

Posted By: Bomber Re: CESA wonders why? - 01/31/13 10:05 PM
"The other thing is that alot (not all) cesa parents whose kids were on the top teams had an arrogance, over confidence or false sense of security that just because their kid plays for cesa on the top team that coaches are foaming out the mouth to come watch them play and recruite them. It does not work that way. I know someone will be mad about me saying that but remember i was one at one time also." quoted from Hardheaded.

Maybe the parents arrogance comes from the top.

Meaning, the Club.

The CESA management crowd, has plenty of it.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: CESA wonders why? - 02/01/13 12:28 PM
Parents being parents.
Most are clueless.
© SC Soccer