SC Soccer
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Coastal League Rumor - 04/23/18 11:21 AM
I do not know if there is any truth to this, but I was told but two independent sources that several clubs (specifically Cainhoy Athletic, DISA, Mt. Pleasant, GPS NASA, and GPS James Island) plan to leave the SCYSA Coastal league next year and form their own league.

The reason stated was to isolate the new Battery youth club.

I am not sure if this is true, but if so, that would be unfortunate. I don't see how this would be in the best interest of the kids or the sport.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/25/18 08:00 PM
Since our name is in there, I better respond.
As with a lot of rumor, there is an element of truth to this and a healthy measure of nonsense.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 01:23 AM
Thank you for responding.

I suppose the element of truth is:

http://usclubsoccer.org/2018/04/25/fourt...er-development/

As for the nonsense, I am not sure. Depending on what the Battery does, this may make for a difficult decision for Summerville parents because commute times make other clubs impractical, especially for the younger kids.

I have no idea what this means for us, but right now, it doesn't look good.

Can someone explain the rationale for this? Was SCYSA not acceptable? Was it the Battery? Something else?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 03:47 AM
Considering 9 of the new clubs aren’t located in Charleston,, I doubt they are really worried about the Battery much at all. That being said, it does look like it effectively cuts the battery out.... at least playing the top teams in each age group. Looks like Battery, Renegades, Charleston FC and Charleston United will all be on the outside looking in.... I do like the fact that clubs are working together. I’ve heard these will run like premier weekends. I can see a lot of positives for that!
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 03:57 AM
As for rationale,,,Other than Cesa,,,,these are certainly the strongest clubs in the state. I would assume, the wanted to have more competitive games.... not sure... But between these clubs, the certainly have enough field space and players to chart their own path!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 09:36 AM
Yes, 1/2 the clubs did not play in the Coastal league. I don't know what this means for some other clubs too, like Sumter, Florence, CRFC.

I know for us, as of right now, it effectively forces us to choose three poor options, 1. Stay with the Battery and maybe not get many quality games, 2. Go to GPS NASA and add another 40-60 minutes of travel time, or 3. Call it quits.

Really stinks for those smaller clubs like Walterboro, but I guess this is the natural evolution to pay to play.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 12:00 PM
I don’t know about it being a “natural” evolution and moreso just clubs looking to get quality development opportunities for younger players. It’s shocking enough at the names of clubs that have come together to do this, but I’m curious to see how this will go
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 12:44 PM
Not sure where you are coming from,,, but GPS fields at Cathedral are not but about 10 minutes from SSC. Luckily coming from Summerville, you are going the opposite of traffic. That being said, I do understand long commutes,,, they kind of suck for all involved. My children have an hour commute one way for practice. A full 1/4 of my oldest child's team has over an hour commute. Not saying thats the right way or works for everyone. It is just a choice my family made if my children were to keep progressing in soccer.

I am kind of exited about this change. It wont affect my oldest at all....For my youngest child to have competitive games, his team has had to play up. This will allow the strongest clubs to play their own age and still get good games in.

I agree 100% with sharksfutbol,, the fact that some of these clubs are even working together, lets me believe that development is the priority.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 06:32 PM
Cainhoy Athletic, SharksFutbol and MySonsDad, thank you for replying.

Yes the drive, at that time of day is about 20 minutes to and another 20 minutes back in added driving time. No one makes it from SSC to Cathedral in 10 minutes, even on Sunday. But that's my personal gripe (or whining, I can admit).

As to why those clubs, its hard to say. The 5 GPS clubs obviously moved as one. Them and any one of the the other major lowcountry clubs and the others have little choice but to also move. Once that happens, others may have been invitation only.

What I don't know is what the Battery (or other clubs such as Beach United, CRFC, Charleston United, Florence, etc...) will do. The Battery have to be careful until May 1 as to what they say and do.

What is the criteria for admission to the new league? Can other clubs join? If development truly is the priority, then I cannot see why any club would be excluded that wished to join (which may in fact be the case, I don't know).

On the one hand, I agree that this is unlikely to have anything to do with Battery. After all, why would they be any more of a threat or issue than GPS?

I must say though, the timing of the announcement, two days after the Battery hold their public forum is odd, but perhaps a coincidence.

It has been known that some of the clubs were upset that Battery took over SSC. I know of one club that also reached out to SSC to merge but was rebuffed because parents thought that SSC kids would be treated as second class citizens. It also believed that the Battery did reach out to some other clubs, but those clubs declined the Battery as well.

Right now, I can only speculate because most people that come here only read and do not add to the discussion. So again, for those that offer your opinion or information. Thank You.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 07:04 PM
I do appreciate the dialog,,, It has been a long long time since this board has had much banter. If the new league includes everyone,, I dont see how this would be any different from what they already have. I am a little biased, but I am looking forward to a little better competition for my U-little

GPS moved all 6 clubs they control in SC, so that makes up almost half of the membership. I would like to think the clubs have recognized an issue, and decided to address it on their own.

I do think the timing was a coincidence. I hope the battery does well. I think they will pull a few kids from other clubs. But I can see it taking a little while to get it going.I think their biggest issue it going to be finding enough quality coaches.

I have stated in another post,, it would have made a ton of sense for Nasa and SSC to have combined. Nasa's boys teams are clearly much much stronger and SSC's girls teams are clearly stronger. To me, it would have made for a strong overall club.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 07:24 PM
Interesting. This past spring, my sons division was fairly strong, but the fall had a lot of weaker teams.

Using the strength of play though, GPS NASA White was weak in our age group last year and likely continue to do so.

Once GPS took over NASA, things really took a downturn for SSC. I know my sons team lost two players to them, one of which was offered a scholarship to make the switch.

There are over 100 former SSC players now at GPS NASA.

Over 60 coaches applied to coach the Battery youth. Several SSC coaches did not. Two of the prominent SSC girls coaches switched to GPS NASA, one of whom will become the girls director there.

I think it is fair to say that the Battery taking over SSC, as well as opening fields in Daniel Island and Mt. Pleasant doesn't sit well with those that preferred the previous local club structure.

Would this move have happened if the Battery did not start their youth club? Do certain clubs stand to lose in any way if the Battery is successful?
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 08:41 PM
If you look at the number of players each year at the State and local level, you'll see that population only rise by a percent that is pretty much in line with region population growth.

That pretty much makes sense as you can't just manufacture kids overnight that want to play. What changes is the uniform they wear, so I think yours is a fairly easy question to answer: yes some clubs will lose as others win.

You allude to it already with (~100) shift from SSC to GPS recently, certainly CASC has grown at someone else's expense, and similarly we would expect to shrink with others success. We never worry about what others are doing and just make decisions based on what is best for our membership, and in this case, we decided to look at a new option for Junior Academy play, liked what we saw and took the plunge. But not lightly and with a good amount of consideration and due diligence.

To be fair, Coastal League was initiated to replace a 'club managed' local league in LSYSA and I think even SCYS would cede that the league has had its challenges and complaints over the years. More than once we've considered looking for alternatives long before the Battery decided to step into youth soccer and if a good alternative had presented itself in the last 2-3 years we would have certainly considered it. We have certainly provided feedback and suggestions to improve without too much movement and hoping our latest decision will work out and not backfire, but who knows. Onwards.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 08:50 PM
This is going to sounds much worse than I mean it,,, but its just facts!

I cant really speak about the white teams. But I would imagine they arent any weaker than the SSC blue teams. I just know the last time my oldest son's team played the top SSC team in his age group, it was 10-0,, and it could have been much much worse. Granted they have moved in different leagues, so they dont play now, but his team as only gotten stronger, so there is honestly no telling how bad it would be now. I know SSC only had 1 boys team at the Challenge level, and they only won 1 game the entire season.

I'm honestly not trying to turn this into a GPS vs SSC debate. I think that shipped has sailed. But I do know that GPS initially tried to work with SSC. They entered 17 teams in the first Labor Day tournament that SSC held after gps arrived in Charleston. They also entered more teams in the summer Coever tourney at SSC than SSC did. Then SSC paid them back by making a formal recruiting complaint to the state about the GPS summer teams. That was pretty much the end of any joint ventures. I think that move alone costs SSC thousands in future tournament fees.

I think if I were a board member and I had lost over a hundred kids to a neighboring club, it should have thrown up a red flag a little sooner.

This is going to sound much worse than I mean it,,, if I were a current SSC parent, I would be a whole lot more concerned about the fields in Daniel Island and Mt. Pleasant. Which kids do you think the club is going to cater too. They only took 1 SSC kid to Dallas.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 09:18 PM
These are excellent responses and help shed some light for me.

@Cainhoy thank you for being more forthright and supporting what others here were suggesting: that the decision has less, if anything to do with the Battery, and more to do with the league and its support etc...

@Mysonsdad, no offense at all. My son son plays on an SSC White team that is young and did fairly well overall (split with GPS NASA Maroon).

I agree, the SSC teams were weak, and I have discussed some of the reasons for that in another thread. Suffice to say, it was not run in a modern developmental model. Instead, the same father may have coached the same group of kids for several years. Teams were tied to specific coaches and the politics were dreadful. I was certainly exploring the move to NASA, but time is a HUGE consideration for me personally.

The history of the two clubs from your point of view is interesting. I am not sure SSC staff would see it see the same way, but I never asked because it really did not matter to me. My son was on a good team with a great group of kids and parents, visibly improving, so I had every reason to be happy.

I am actually not as concerned about the DI and MP locations. I have no delusion that my son is the next Modric or Scholes. I think it will be a while before they make inroads in player development East of the Cooper, but I may be naive. I just want my son to continue to have the opportunity to continue playing similar teams. I don't want to start over at new club, but we'll see. At least NASA costs less.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/26/18 09:58 PM
My own started at SSC.... My oldest literally scored 500 goals in the SSC in house league. He was there from 3-8, and it was fun as a parent watching him score 8 goals a game,,, I didn’t have a soccer background,,,but the more I learned and read... I quickly realized that it was because he was just bigger and faster. Every coach/dad he had in the in house league just put him up top and let him outrun everyone.... the more we learned,,, we knew he wasn’t going to get any better that way... my wife and I went to the first meeting that SSC had about their academy, and we realized they truly had no developmental curriculum. He was going to have another dad who was basically winging it.... we knew then that footskill wise and speed of play wise that we needed to move him.... long story short—- we made the trip over the bridge for a few years.,,, until Gps got here and gave him a viable option on this side of the river.

That being said, every club certainly has its issues and the grass isn’t always greener,,,, but for our family,,,, moving them has been a blessing.. My guys have never had the coaching that they have now. My oldest has been played In big tournaments in 7 different states and Europe all a smaller fee than other local clubs. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/27/18 01:52 PM
At the end of the day you should choose the club that you feel is aligned with whatever goals and aspirations your child has for the sport. What works for some definitely doesn't work for others.

As for the new league, I see SCYSA has countered somewhat with their revamp of their U12 statewide league. Somewhat of a too little too late IMO, but I'm always a fan of more to make better. Now that there's competition in the league, maybe we'll start seeing better leagues more aligned with the development of players
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/27/18 09:21 PM
Good to know, and I agree on all accounts.

Anyone have an idea of what this means for U9/U10 as far SCYS?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/28/18 12:27 AM

I just got off the phone with someone from the Battery. They did not reply to my email because they can't put somethings in writing. I will try to summarize a few key points we discussed:

1. The Battery is fully aware of the new league as well as the one announced today by SCYS. Although they can't prove it, they do feel it was created to exclude and isolate them. As they asked me, "why wasn't Summerville invited given their facilities alone are much better than most of those other clubs?"

2. Over 330 kids have registered so far for tryouts. That is more than 5x what SSC had at this point last year. Only 16% of those are from Summerville.

3. The new league is "players first" yet 26 kids can be on the roster for a 7v7 team. 18 year olds can coach u14 and 21 year olds can coach u18.

4. The national headquarters of the league is based here in Charleston, SC. The CEO is a season ticket holder with the Battery.

5. Some other clubs have certain pieces of info TBD because they poached coaches whose contracts with SSC have not passed yet.

6. The club assured me that The Battery will have a positive game day experience. There are certain things about the new league that they don't like but they have a decision to make and when they can, they will communicate with everyone and try to be as transparent as possible.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/28/18 03:07 AM
It’s going to be interesting for sure!!! I did see that scysa kind of answered with their new plan of a statewide league. One thing that stood out,,, they said you had to compete in their u-12 league in order to be eligible for u-13 challenge. Of the 29 or so teams u13 and u-14 teams playing either challenge or premier this season, 23 are going to be part of the new Carolina Premier League .... I don’t know how scysa will be able to enforce the mandate and still have enough competitive teams to fill their premier and challenge slots. Just something I thought about!

On another note, I noticed that Charlotte and the surrounding North Carolina area announced a very similar league today.... should be interesting for sure!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/28/18 12:07 PM
Yeah, I don't know what SCYSA wil do (or their GA and NC counterparts now).

Discovery SC is listed in both leagues.

A lot of SC clubs on the outside still, particularly in the upstate. I wonder if SCFCU will stick with it. They have enormous influence in the midlands. I am not sure how much this benefits them.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/28/18 02:05 PM
I agree, I don’t know how much sense it makes for them, but there must have been some reason at least initially! I do like the idea of scysa having a little competition. I think it will make them step their game up. I think it will impact ODP as well... I know some of the bigger clubs have typically not pushed it, so the talent is up and down. But now the state will not be able to block off odp weekends... this will have some ramification on who is able to try out and train.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 04/28/18 02:45 PM
Yes, maybe someone who knows more can chime in. US Club has some heavy hitters at the attached to it from a soccer stand point on its board of directors and Kevin Payne is well known as well.

OTH, SCYSA is a state association with a seat at the USSF, along with all the other state associations. If US club is seen as a threat to the state associations, things could get hairy.

The state associations have a vested interest in growing the game at all levels. If US club prevents some clubs from submitting teams because they "aren't big enough" or some other reason, then I believe that will not be seen in a positive light overall and instead as an organization designed to benefit the "elite"
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/02/18 02:13 PM
Just to educate for those that are unaware of what this new league means:

Northeast clubs unhappy with us club:
http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=152579

Florida YSA trying to summarize:
https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.com/portals/1745/docs/2016-17%20files/usclub-vs-usyouth.pdf

Solid article
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/youth-club-soccer-travel-problem-too-far-much-ecnl
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/03/18 02:31 AM
Good information for sure... I still wonder what the scysa is going to do. If you look at state final 4 for u-13 and u-14... 6 of the final 8 will be playing in the new US club league..... the only 2 the aren’t are the Cesa teams, who I think play in a similiar league out of Atlanta... so essentially none of the final 8 will be playing with scysa anyway.... However you look at it,,, that’s a big statement. There has to be some reason all these clubs have pulllednout ..

Have they said what level the Battery teams will be playing? I saw the fees today, I was suprised they were so high.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/03/18 02:20 PM
To the first point, it appears their are a few organizations that have good intentions competing with each other. However, there is a lot of money involved.

The Battery fees are high, but there are no team fees. The Battery are limiting teams to 2 tournaments a season, one of which is to be local. I think when it is all said and done, the cost will be comparable.

The fact that every kid will train with the same ball, be dressed the same, head to toe, that coaches will have monthly professional development sessions and the club will have a unified curriculum from top to bottom is appealing (some other clubs also offer that as well, I am sure).

Season tickets to Battery games for the kids is also included. I think the Battery will offer advantages over the long haul.

As for the league, as of Monday, I don't think a decision has been made.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/03/18 03:57 PM
As far as the SCYSA is concerned, you're looking at majority of traditionally strong clubs being ineligible for the challenge league since so many are doing US Club now. How will that help in providing top level competition for the best teams in that age group when the top USA, SCUFC, etc. teams are either playing PMSL or do something on their own to counter the challenge league mandate for U13 next season?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/03/18 04:23 PM
This is the list of all the member clubs US Club Soccer on the bottom (I think this if right):

PIEDMONT DISTRICT (Greenville, Spartanburg, Furman, Clemson area)
Spartanburg United Soccer Academy
Bethlehem Ridge Soccer Club
Carolina Elite Soccer Academy
Carolina Futbol Academy
CESA Development League
Clemson Anderson Soccer Alliance
Cobra Soccer Club of the Upstate
Easley Soccer Club
Greenville Legends
Greenville United
Furman United Soccer Club
Foothills Soccer Club of Greer
International Elite Soccer Academy
Lakeland Toros
Tiger Soccer Club
Tuzos South Carolina
Upstate United Soccer Club

MIDSTATE DISTRICT (Columbia, Lexington, Sumter,Aiken, Rock Hill area)
Aiken Futbol Club
Barnwell SC
Clover Parks and Recreation
Congaree Rapid FC
Florence Soccer Association
Hampton-Varnville Soccer Club
Lexington County Girls Soccer Association
Lexington Recreation League
North Augusta United
Charlotte United Palmetto FC
Revolution United FC
Sandhills United Soccer Club
Sumter Soccer Club
Technical Soccer Club

COASTAL DISTRICT (Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head area)
Beach United Football Club
Beaufort County FC
Charleston City FC
Charleston United Soccer Club
Claire Chapin Epps Family YMCA
Ebony City Soccer Club
Goose Creek United (Now Renegades)
Lower Coastal Sports Academy
Mt. Pleasant Soccer Club
OSSOC
Summerville Soccer Club (Charleston Battery)
Walterboro Soccer Club

US Club Soccer:
Discoveries Soccer Club
GPS Lexington
Carolina Football Club
South Carolina Bulls Soccer Club
South Carolina United FC
Cainhoy Athletic Soccer Club
Coast FA
Daniel Island Soccer Academy
GPS Coastal
GPS-NASA
USA - Mt. Pleasant
Tormenta FC/Storm SA
James Island Youth Soccer Club
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/03/18 04:30 PM
If this list is accurate, then I see little advantage for Carolina FC (from the upstate). Midstate still seems healthy.

Coastal gets hammered though. Beach United is even more isolated. Most of the remaining Charleston clubs do not field teams in every age group.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/04/18 10:43 PM
https://www.gpsnasa.com/news_article/show/914782?referrer_id=2412935

Pinewood Prep also has been notorious in the past about their field usage being usurped by school events. The parents there that don't have a kid at GPS won't give a crap about telling them to beat it and for most parents there the money won't matter.

It's definitely a direct shot at the Battery but also a must for them because they are limited in growth due to lack of facilities. Derek talked about the facilities as the main reason they approached SSC. The Battery doesn't have to share or plan around anyone else.

GPS will be little brother to Stall HS, Cathedral and Pinewood. Their problem is similar to several other lowcountry clubs where land is a premium. In this regard, the Battery have a big advantage if leveraged correctly.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/05/18 12:59 PM
How in the world can GPS using Pinewood be considered a direct shot at the Battery? Its about 20 miles away?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/05/18 02:35 PM
Summerville soccer club is located between Pinewood and Cathedral. GPS geographically reached further into Summerville. How can you say otherwise?

Why not try to expand into the more underserved West Ashley or Goose creek area? It is not like Pinewood Prep is a premier training ground with a ton useable field space or parking.

In essence, what is the rationale for this move? For convenience of the status quo OR to expand the current drawing base of the club. If it is the second, name any other club that is close to impacted by this as the Battery/SSC.

Why else expand to that location? Some clubs have been critical of this move by the Battery. Why?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/05/18 02:45 PM
Gps has been using Dubose Middle for training for 3 years. It is about 1/4 a mile away. While not announced, they have had teams training in knightsville well before the battery formed a club.As to why they added Pinewood,,I have no idea other than access to field and gym space. It had to be mutually beneficial for both parties. GPS is the only club in the area that dedicates one of its training nights for futsal. This gives them 2 indoor spaces to continue that training.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/05/18 02:54 PM
Good to know. I was unaware and I have a son at Dubose
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/05/18 03:20 PM
small world... If you have one at Dubose, you need to check out the dark side for sure--- it will be a quicker from knightsville to pinwood/northwoods/cathedral than Shipyard park for sure....lol
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/07/18 06:01 PM
CESA is out too now:

The inaugural season of the Southeastern Clubs Champions League (SCCL) begins this fall, spurred by the collaboration of eight clubs in Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. Each of these clubs will field one team per gender per age group in 12-U through 19-U divisions.

Birmingham United SA (Ala.)
Carolina Elite Soccer Academy (S.C.)
Concorde Fire (Ga.)
Gwinnett Soccer Academy (Ga.)
NASA TopHat (Ga.)
Southern Soccer Academy (Ga.)
United Futbol Academy (Ga.)
Vestavia Hills SC (Ala.)
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/07/18 10:03 PM
Heard that last week. On a different note, I did receive 2 emails that sort of details some of the improvements that scysa is planning on making. I wonder if those changes would have occured if all the teams wouldn’t have pulled out.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/07/18 10:10 PM
What sort of improvements? Too little too late?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/07/18 10:28 PM
Isn’t that league CESA is in for the older teams & it’d only be one team per age group? CESA has a ton of teams in each age group so I’m sure that means that their top teams won’t be in the RPL anymore.

It does have to raise some concern though for the state leagues that so many prominent clubs are going US Club
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/07/18 11:31 PM
I was a little confused by the second email... it said "we will provide a site visit for observation by one of our State Technical Instructors to assist coaches, parents and players on what is expected for player development but how to improve and innovate an existing Club model/Program".....

I read it about 5 times, that portion that "player development but how to improve" doesn't flow correctly. It almost like they accidentally combined 2 sentences, and deleted a few words ?????

The first email basically said they were doing single day events. It sounds like the entire club teams would be at 1 or 2 locations at a time. and that "ability to plan your fall season without interruption once the schedule is posted. No more last minute game time changes, location changes or referee issues. Get more of you time on and off the field".

I give them an A for effort, but they could have addressed these issues years ago. It shouldn't have taken all the best clubs pulling out to cause this.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/11/18 06:11 PM
"Summerville soccer club is located between Pinewood and Cathedral. GPS geographically reached further into Summerville. How can you say otherwise?

Why not try to expand into the more underserved West Ashley or Goose creek area? "

I think they just did grin
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/11/18 08:53 PM
Wow! The club landscape is changing so fast. I wonder what it look like in a few years.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/11/18 09:11 PM
Solid move for Charleston United
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/15/18 11:02 AM
The Battery put out a FAQs. The last bit was interesting:

Q: While CBSC makes an effort to answer all questions with complete transparency - below are some comments/questions that have circulated that might be better suited to converse within the community or asked to various other clubs.

Why are players being held at clubs just because of the threat of not playing other local teams?

If new leagues are being created, why would CBSC not be invited? CBSC absorbed Summerville Soccer Club who own their own facility, why were they not invited?

Why are clubs requiring parents sign up within 24 hours or their kids will lose a spot as a scare tactic? Shouldn’t the clubs be supporting whatever opportunity is best for the kids?

The player pool in our region is not that large where we can afford NOT to include all players

If the Battery had the so-called highest-level team in a certain age group in town, would other clubs NOT want to play them?
Posted By: Coach J Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/16/18 11:24 AM
BIG Turn out last night in Summerville! Lots of older kids last night, over 35 alone in the 00/01 group! In other news my daughters age group 07/08 looks like 12 teams between Svill and shipyard park!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/16/18 02:33 PM
09 boys had 3 teams listed for Sville registration. Not sure about MP/DI. Don't know how many that tried out at two clubs stay.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/16/18 02:45 PM
Did hear that they had so many, they ran out of shirts.... that a decent problem to have I guess..
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/16/18 04:15 PM
Not quite the same but we ran out of adhesive numbers as well (500) and just ordered 300 more for the weekend.

If any of those 00/01 boys miss out and need a home, Cainhoy Athletic will have its U19 evals on June 2/3. Great coaching and easier on the pocket
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/17/18 07:03 PM
I know I shouldn't but again, "better suited to converse within the community or asked to various other clubs."

Why are players being held at clubs just because of the threat of not playing other local teams?

Not sure what that means but if this is about CPL, see next one. Beyond league play, you can only play other teams that are covered under the same affiliated ORG (insurance coverage) for very good liability reasons. Or perhaps are part of a tournament that covers broader scope and approval of play. SCYS will only support affiliated play under registration and why (correctly) you can't scrimmage a high school team or rec program (unless also affiliated under SCYS). Why you also have to have special waivers and permissions for out of State and travel etc. Getting off beat as this question asks about local teams so must be geared toward Coastal, CPL or Rec play (and by association insurance applies).

If new leagues are being created, why would CBSC not be invited? CBSC absorbed Summerville Soccer Club who own their own facility, why were they not invited?

I can think of several different reasons why any club might be excluded from a particular league or organization by any other club, rule, policy or forming committee. Ranging from business interest, pride, profit, philosophy, size, history, scale, mission, like mindedness, relationships, poor partners, community focus, nonprofit status, etc. - I would suspect the answer might come down to a combination of several of these (depending on who you ask), or another I'm not surfacing.

Does Summerville own their own facility? I thought it belonged to Dorchester County (deeded by Westvaco) but true, SSC (Battery) has control. A less sensitive answer for Junior Academy is that player count is largely in central/north Charleston/Mount Pleasant and for younger age groups, Summerville as nice as it is, isn't well liked for games due to its distance and I can't imagine would be considered the best spot or major driver for inclusion. For U8-U12 I'd suggest Patriots or Trident Academy far preferable to many, but I'm biased and part of the East Cooper mass. Ashley Phosphate and Drayton Hall other good options for JA local play but SSC, Carolina Park and our Awendaw fields, sort of at the edge and distant for many.

Why are clubs requiring parents sign up within 24 hours or their kids will lose a spot as a scare tactic? Shouldn’t the clubs be supporting whatever opportunity is best for the kids?

I agree 24 hrs is insane, but not much better than 48 which I believe is standard at CBSC. Some clubs even require same day. I went to an eval with my son a while back and was told to bring my checkbook to pay if he got selected at the last tryout (and of course he was - last time we tried out at that club). We should all offer everyone ample time to consider all options. But having said that, for everyone offered at the better programs, there is likely at least one on a waitlist so only fair to them to ask for some haste. Candidly if I had it my way, we would eliminate evals altogether and do like EPL and have a transer window where you could invite kids to training sessions over a month and ease into teams. This madness is created indirectly (with all good intentions) by governing bodies and recruiting rules (rule 43 in particular that identifies when you can start - and then comes the stampede). And in my opinion fails to recognize High School season and ample buffer beyond (make June transfer window).

The player pool in our region is not that large where we can afford NOT to include all players
Agreed and another club just dilutes that talent further. I suspect lowcountry competitiveness at the top level will dip now (at least for a while) and some kids will miss out of surrounding themselves with the very best (if that is what you want)

If the Battery had the so-called highest-level team in a certain age group in town, would other clubs NOT want to play them?

I have (at least) a couple of issues with this question. Why worry about the highest level teams? I'd be more concerned with the lower level teams: Top teams in a region like ours deserve to be going a little farther afield anyway. Families on an elite team are there because they want to go to regionals, nationals, east coast, etc. You don't get that level of play in Coastal or Charleston anyway. At younger levels U8-U10 no one should be thinking that way (in my opinion) and honestly I'd say that should be U8-U12. And I'm certain there will be many opportunities to play top teams in 'open' tournaments locally and regionally where Battery could get tested by others if they want to including those run by the Battery. Ugh... but this focus on "highest-level team". 60/40 please and all of us grow the sport.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/17/18 08:25 PM
Thanks for answering. These were not my questions, but ones that CBSC listed at the bottom of the FAQs. I definitely agree with last points.

My only quibble is with the second question. I would hazard to guess that SSC was far and away the largest club in the former Coastal league not invited. In terms of number of players, they have more players/teams than several clubs that were invited.

Location can't be that much of a consideration since clubs in Myrtle Beach, Hardeeville, Columbia, Rock Hill, and Spartanburg are a lot farther. Make no mistake, those venues will now be involved in JA discussions.

Also, Summerville has far more available field space than most other venues. Some venues have fields/goals that are clearly too small (Hardeeville, Good Shepherd). Others have U8-U10 7v7 kids playing on fields with 9v9 dimensions (Cathedral of Praise). Yet those were not disqualifying.

The first three reasons, business interest, pride, and profit make sense.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/17/18 09:08 PM
I meant to suggest only that I suspect the SSC complex was not a major driver for including the club.

Clumsily trying to answer their position (hidden assertion) that it should have been enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing at SSC

Sometimes other things are more important than a few yards or thicker thatch of fescue, and in my case certainly not profit or business interest.

Oh, and I have very little pride left
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 03:19 AM
Has SSC or CBYSC announced what league they are competing in? Any teams announced yet? 35 for a combined 00/01 age group isn’t great especially when you think that one group is comprised of all the Magnet kids looking to play together.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 12:53 PM
6 pages,,,I like it, Its been years,,,,,there hasn't been 6 pages of dialog on this board,, since SSC was voting to combine with CESA years ago :),,
Posted By: Coach J Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 01:33 PM
Academy teams have been announced, all others still having trials!
Posted By: Coach J Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 01:35 PM
00/01 group will be one 01 team(they won state last year) and another 00/01 combined team. However keep in mind some of the players will go to other trials next week and not all will stay very well could end up needing players to make that second team!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 01:45 PM
"Has SSC or CBYSC announced what league they are competing in?"

Not that I have heard yet.
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 01:52 PM
SSC won State Cup or won Classic? I thought USA MP and GPS were the only NPL and Region Premier teams? Looking at results, it looks like Palmetto United won State Cup last year for 01 girls
Posted By: Coach J Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 02:24 PM
01 team at SSC won state cup for PMSL level, so that team would be Challenge level this fall.
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/18/18 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Coach J
01 team at SSC won state cup for PMSL level, so that team would be Challenge level this fall.

Ahh ok, sorry I misread your post. It’s tough for the girls side u14s and up as the fight with USYS with DA versus USCS with NPL and some ECNL has pushed a majority of the local talent out to midlands or out of state. If the CPL moves into the older age groups we could see a few more NPL teams in a few years but for the girls in that u14-u18 group now the options are limited with just PMSL and Challenge, which, if your daughter is looking to play in college, is going to be a tough battle. Not impossible, but tough.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/19/18 12:31 AM
Does anyone have a clue what level the batteries older teams are playing?
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/19/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
Does anyone have a clue what level the batteries older teams are playing?

Girls or boys?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/19/18 09:20 PM
Boys,,,, but I guess both for curiosity sake!
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/19/18 10:28 PM
Their 99 Girls and 03 Girls were R3 Premier last year. The 99s have graduated and the 03s were relegated back down to Challenge after state cup. All the other girls teams I believe are PMSL (classic)with exception of the 01/00 team as previously mentioned moving up from PMSL to Challenge.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/20/18 06:36 PM
I wasn’t sure if they got to carry their spots with them since it was a new club
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/20/18 10:06 PM
Here is the full list. The CBSC takes over the spots given to SSC.

https://usy345.americaneagle.com/assets/962/15/SCSCL%20F2018%20(SCYS)%20Application%201.pdf
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/20/18 10:48 PM
Good stuff,,, thanks coach
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 05/21/18 03:45 AM
Thanks for sharing coach. This is disappointing though for the girls side. So outside of MP, there are no other regional premier or NPL teams at all at any other local club for 05s through 00s. SCUFC held their ecnl tryouts this weekend and had roughly 60-80 per age group easily with many of those kids traveling from here. Local girls need more than one club offering premier and ecnl. The talent is here but unfortunately they could get passed over because colleges aren’t recruiting out of challenge or classic. Having a great coach is half the battle, the other piece is playing at a high level of play.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/13/18 05:39 PM
Is there any update on whether CBSC or CUSC will be joining the Carolinas Premier League?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/13/18 06:49 PM
I have not heard. I am not sure they are accepting any new clubs this season (I believe a deadline passed). Otherwise, I am sure Charleston United would enter it.

SCYSA put out a statement:

https://usy345.americaneagle.com/assets/962/15/Coastal%20League%20Announcement.pdf

One of the unknowns is whether the clubs in the Carolinas Premier League will have all of their teams participate or only certain ones.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/13/18 10:48 PM
I haven't heard anything and league website doesn't show either club

Carolinas Premier League

I'd suggest supporting more than one league and/or affiliation might be challenging to schedule and logistically tricky. Not impossible but would add layers of administrative and registration difficulties.

I would also question a plan that would mean as many, or more games for 7-8 year olds as EPL in a year. I'd guess most clubs will be all or nothing
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 12:09 AM
I wasn’t sure what the pclubs would do. I think SCYSA is hoping that club ‘b’ and ‘c’ teams would stay Coastal and ‘A’ teams would go up. At least that is how I read their statement. I do not know ifit is practical though.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 12:03 PM
Speaking only for myself, I find it ironic that some feel the 'A' teams have a possible plausible 'complaint' and understandable reason to move elsewhere, while lesser teams should be happy.

I'd suggest its the starter and novice teams that fare the worst under coastal league setup and history. In our case, pretty much every complaint raised over the last 5-7 years of Coastal was targeted at lower divisions and that team experience.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 12:54 PM
I can't argue as I am lacking a lot of background info. I can only say what appears to be what SCYSA would hope would happen in the Coastal league. Like I said, it may not practical. Also, the clubs may want to make a clean break.

There are a lot of unknowns.

For example, was every club in the Coastal offered the join the new league?

If not, were they identified as part of the problem?

Why didn't the Sandlapper league have the same statement/issue from SCYSA?

Is that league run markedly different?

Why did other clubs from outside the Coastal join the new league?

Is the new league as inclusive as the Coastal?

If not, what is the standard to enter?

There are plenty more.

Speaking only for myself, there are a lot of unanswered questions. I know many parents left clubs they were happy with and moved because of this new league. Those same parents don't have any more answers than I. They pay a lot of money for their child to have the best, right experience.

I do not believe that the reasons for these decisions have been fully transparent, forthright and effectively communicated. I do think that given the trust and money parents are giving a club to ensure what is in their child's best interest, they deserve complete and thorough answers.

So far, the answers I have seen have been mainly projected as generalities with few specifics on the reasons.

Pretty much: "Hey, we are joining a new league. Its really great for your kids. Here's the link that explains more about it."

Parent: "What was wrong with the old league?"

Response: "They didn't respond to our needs,...wasn't as good for development,...wouldn't listen to us..."

These are vague non-answers. Perhaps I have missed it, but I have not seen a clubs official statement as to why they entered the new league and also, what their specific criticisms of the previous league were and those issue could/would not be resolved.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 04:07 PM
The only complaint I heard about Coastal was from a coach that said Coastal/SCYSA wouldn't do the league scheduling. Do you know what other needs?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 04:26 PM
There were also plenty of non-competitive games that my child played, but almost all of those teams are in this new league. When my child's team played these other teams (from the Sandlapper league?) in tournaments, those games were still non-competitive.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 07:04 PM
I don’t know that the clubs had to provide specifics for the decision to form a new league. The CPL was advertised and it seems celebrated by those clubs weeks before tryouts. Parents ultimately were able to decide if they wanted to be a part of the new league based on where they accepted a position.

For selfish reasons, I am very excited about the new league. My sons coach, coached multiple teams. Because of the schedules, he had to decide weekly which games he could attend. The previous scheduled worked for a coach that only had 1 team, but not for coaches with multiple teams.

I also think it’s important that the clubs are the ones in charge. I appreciate what the state association had done, but my son’s club are the ones with their boots on the ground working with the kids. Hopefully they are better able to make decisions about development than any association.. Again, this philosophy may not work for all.... but ultimately as a parent, I decide where I write the checks and which system I think fits for my guys!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 08:43 PM
Perhaps, but I don't think is good for the overall game or development in the state.

For example, if you live in Walterboro, do you have a viable pathway to play and develop? Walterboro itself will never likely be big or 'competitive'. However, now those kids either drive a long way, on school nights, to play or they don't play at all because what league will they enter if the Coastal goes away?

How does that scenario benefit anyone? Keep in mind that Walterboro is just one example. Pawleys Island is another (CoastFA or bust now). The little guys have been squeezed out. 8 of the 14 clubs belong to two umbrella organizations.

Certainly the clubs don't HAVE explain or provide specifics, but is this really about scheduling? I think there is more to it than that. I have my suspicions, but that is all.

I also don't know how well it was advertised. I can't understand why other clubs didn't join if they knew (unless they weren't invited/allowed).
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/14/18 11:03 PM
Trust me, I get what you are saying about distance... my kids live farther out than Walterboro,,, they have long car rides to see anything other than corn fields. But we chose to live where we do and still support their athletics... Ironicaly, I know that in my oldest sons age group, that there are kids from Pawleys playing for usamp, Battery and Gps next season.

We have friends at SSC and you and l probably run in the same circles,,,, I’ve had a few of them mention a “conspiracy” to me. I don’t have an answer to that... it does seem a little far fetched that 14 clubs from all over the state would work together for the whole goal of stopping the battery from developing..
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/15/18 12:26 AM
If a kid from Walterboro wants to get better & there’s nothing locally that will give him that opportunity for whatever reason, how is that the league’s responsibility? Because as good as that kid may be at some point he will reach a development peak @ Walterboro just because of his location. That’s like kids that go to a DA program from Greenville or Charleston.......certain players will just reach the peak in their area & will have to make a decision as to how they want to continue their development. I’m all for giving every kid a chance an a path, but I also realize that some kids can compete on an ECNL or an RPL team & others might barely survive open league. You can’t appease everyone, but you have to do whatever Best helps your club achieve its overall goal.

As for CPL, a lot of clubs were unhappy with the coastal league for years before CBSC was even a thought. That you gavevrival clubs joining forces to start this new, alternative pathway should give you some idea that, st done pony during these decisions, the development of players was in mind. I have no inside info on what all was said to leave the coastal league, so I can’t feed into the conspiracy theory you’ve been floating out here about this being a power move against CBSC. All I know is that competition usually makes things bettrrr and elevated the quality & im hopeful that is the case here
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/18/18 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
Here is the full list. The CBSC takes over the spots given to SSC.

https://usy345.americaneagle.com/assets/962/15/SCSCL%20F2018%20(SCYS)%20Application%201.pdf

Coach, can you get an update to this? It seems as though there are quite a few changes since this was created. Hearing lots of moves
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/18/18 09:24 PM
I have not seem an updated list yet. I think teams had until June 15th to apply so I am guessing a new list will be sent out in the next week or so.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/19/18 04:23 PM
I saw a tweet from CASC directing u8-u12 players not to register for SCYSA. CPL only.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/19/18 05:00 PM
We are registering our Junior Academy players with US Club Soccer for participation in the CPL. This is our default starting position and our club fees now include league entry costs supporting that decision.

Having said that we will offer any JA team or player dual registration options if required for other sanctioned activities (ODP, etc.) or leagues.

We are registering our older teams with SCYS for SCYS managed competition (SCSCL, PMSL, OPEN)

Our micro program will consider all our options at such time we open registration for that popular program in August.

We will provide this new league an opportunity to provide our U8-U12 teams with quality, fair competition with local leadership and evaluate the experience.

As to transparency, we announced this on our website early, again to our coaches/managers before that public announcement and supplied a FAQ style document to our registered coaches and listed assistants and managers prior to evaluations. This FAQ included our reasoning for the decision, which in our case mainly falls to club/team mass and opportunity to have local ownership
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/19/18 06:00 PM
Thank you for the additional information. My children played in the micro league and it was a great experience, much better than our experience with MPRD.

Couple questions:

Is swapping out some local teams for Columbia teams the increase in quality?

Does fair competition mean that you don't think competing with CBSC is fair to you?

Is there anybody within the leadership of CPL from GPS in Boston?
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/19/18 06:38 PM
Sorry, probably should qualify a few comments.

First off you have to appreciate that CPL will offer local and regional competition. This is why you are seeing mass of local clubs plus some Statewide participation.

Different ages have different options.
Of course the rub comes with mass and ability to provide enough teams to complete a viable bracket. My insight suggests that CPL will have that mass and a good vehicle for competitive youth soccer.

The quality comment was merely about providing a balanced bracket in all or most age brackets, not necessarily stating the quality of clubs/teams in an age bracket (U10 girls for example) would be vastly different than Coastal

This also speaks to my fair comment. All I was clumsily trying to say is that we expect to have leverage, input, control and influence to ensure that divisions are made of like skilled teams, and if we see a lot of lopsided scores, we will adjust quickly based on local dialog and open communication between the clubs

Honestly CBSC has no part in my post and I have no idea what level their teams will be at come September. I am sure we will see some of theirs at PMSL/SCSCL and suspect we'll win some and lose some. Like we do with any other club.

I'd rather not talk about other organizations business (CBSC, GPS, CPL, etc) . But as you know, will usually post and comment about things we control (CASC) and have an ability (authority) to share in public (not everything).
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/20/18 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D

Is there anybody within the leadership of CPL from GPS in Boston?

This seems like a very specific question and completely random for the topic at hand. What difference would it make if a parent organization had a role in a governing body? I don’t have a dog in this fight but there seems to be a huge battle being waged between US Club soccer and US Youth soccer. It started with Youth soccer claiming a BS pyramid saying DA and National league/Regional Premier over ECNL and NPL (US Club) in terms of level of play. The reality is that most states and clubs levels of play are all over the place! The big battle in GA involves many clubs leaving R3PL in favor of NPL as there are more games. It sounds like several clubs here in S.C. have also left the new Piedmont Conference for the NPL but that’s just rumor as of now. I’d bet that the CPL will have a new version of the Challenge league soon that will be similar to GA and SCs Southeastern Clubs Champions League which would feed or play their way into NPL and ECNL. But that’s just my opinion.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/20/18 10:30 AM
Cainhoy Athletic said one the rationales for the new league was that it was "local leadership". Boston is not real local and on point with their rationale. Feels like we were just here with LCYSA... Same guys in charge fighting for a seat at the table in the local turf war.
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/20/18 12:43 PM
Cainhoy Athletic said one the rationales for the new league was that it was "local leadership". Boston is not real local and on point with their rationale. Feels like we were just here with LCYSA... Same guys in charge fighting for a seat at the table in the local turf war.

Just curious where the Boston part came from. That wasn’t mentioned anywhere in this thread until now. AFAIK GPS here is managed by GPS Carolina. I would assume local leadership means them unless you’ve heard differently
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/20/18 01:30 PM
A rumor i heard. I would assume local leadership means a local club too. Is there an org chart for the league yet?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/20/18 11:01 PM
Rumors, tweets, phantom emails, misleading Power points, Chinese whispers,,heck of a soccer conspiracy..... lol
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/21/18 11:17 AM
This entire thread was started to discuss a rumor in 2 parts: 1) that some clubs were starting their own league and 2) that they were trying to isolate CBSC.

The clubs did. And the clubs did.

Not sure what your phantom emails and Power Points are but he tweet was real too, right?

What's the conspiracy?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/21/18 01:15 PM
Well stated.... it was created for that reason. I don’t have a bit of inside information, so I do t know why certain clubs were left out. I would imagine that since Cbsc was brand new and had yet to play a game when the league was created might have played a part. Honestly have no idea. I’m very excited about it. The old system did not work for families with multiple players. I could have one child playing in Myrtle beach and another playing near Beaufort..... absolutely made no sense.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/22/18 02:54 AM
I think the Boston chap you are hearing about is Sean Carey
I believe he lives in Massachusetts.

He is the League Director as included in the original announcement from US Club.

http://usclubsoccer.org/2018/04/25/fourt...yer-development
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/22/18 02:13 PM
Well, if he can bring the CPL into the level that the NEP League is, it will be great for the local area.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 05:44 PM
There goes the local leadership point. And another rumor proven true.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 05:47 PM
Or i guess it was always a fact. Just not consistent with "local leadership". Is he a GPS guy like everybody else?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 06:50 PM
On a separate note, it looks as though USAMP, either this year or next, will be looking at an increase in costs as the subsidization of the club by the town of Mt P will come to an end with their current contract on July 31 or a year from now if they get an extension for a year. That will make the most expensive Charleston area club raise costs to parents unless they shed some salaries/expenses.
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 07:46 PM
Or i guess it was always a fact. Just not consistent with "local leadership". Is he a GPS guy like everybody else?

According to google he a board member of the NEP, so probably affiliated with the NPL leadership team which is headquartered in Charleston. Not sure he’s a gps guy. As for usamp, they’ve merged with Tormenta and provide the highest level of play in the area with NPL and most likely either ECNL or enpl soon. I think they will be fine without subsidation. They could take scufc’s ECNL spots for the older groups as they’ve been losing kids left and right and their performance shows that.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 07:57 PM
Savannah is most certainly not "in the area"
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 08:15 PM
My comment about him being another GPS person was just poking fun at the successful franchising efforts of GPS. Didn't come off that way. My bad. They have a solid, consistent product that sells well.
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 08:49 PM
My comment about him being another GPS person was just poking fun at the successful franchising efforts of GPS. Didn't come off that way. My bad. They have a solid, consistent product that sells well.

Where did you see that he’s affiliated with GPS? I see he’s with NEP but didn’t see the GPS connection. As for the Savannah team, they joined USAMP’s NPL teams, not the other way around. They had a few solid teams but not in premier or even NPL.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/23/18 11:31 PM

And we are reaching......again
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 01:05 AM
I was unaware that USA/MP was subsidized by the township. I know the town owns the fields at Patriots Pt and the Carolina Park complex out by the airport. Does USA/MP lease any of those fields or pay a usage fee? Is the competition for their use?

MPRD is an affordable alternative that still plans to play in the Coastal league. I have no idea what their numbers look like.

I assume USA/MP will be fine, but Cainhoy Athletic seems like a good alternative if the cost goes up significantly. MPRD is much less expensive, but like I said, I don't know much about it.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:09 AM
You quoted me saying he wasn't GPS.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:12 AM

And we are reaching......again

Reaching for what? The director is in Boston. That is not local.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:30 AM
Nope,,,, I quoted you asking “is he a Gps Guy like everyone else?” If he is from Boston, surely he must be.... 🙄🙄🤦🏻‍♂️ Look,,, Make a club,,,just do it the right way, I’m sure CBSC will do just fine in the long run,,,, they will win and lose some,,,but the easy way out,,, if you aren’t that successful initially is to blame other clubs!!! I didn’t see a single post on here from SCUMP,,(back then),, or any other local club,,, when Gps came to Charleston and started having a little success.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:31 AM
Clearly my eye roll emojis don’t post on scsoccer well
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
I was unaware that USA/MP was subsidized by the township. I know the town owns the fields at Patriots Pt and the Carolina Park complex out by the airport. Does USA/MP lease any of those fields or pay a usage fee? Is the competition for their use?

MPRD is an affordable alternative that still plans to play in the Coastal league. I have no idea what their numbers look like.

I assume USA/MP will be fine, but Cainhoy Athletic seems like a good alternative if the cost goes up significantly. MPRD is much less expensive, but like I said, I don't know much about it.

I thunk you might understand the effects of this. Mount Pleasant Soccer Club booster org(the backer to all the various travel soccer club names) has been subsidized since 98 but this is about the contract they had with town of mt p while they were known as SCUMP. It was signed in 2011. It said they get sweetheart deals on field fees and maybe first dibs on access. That will be shared without prejudice now by all other MPRD orgs, including MPRD soccer and a growing LAX demand. And the prior contract said that MPRD can't have teams over u14 which is ending. That means another low cost option that will likely draw back Cainhoy kids and coaches that were looking for less costly options in addition to taking fields away from USAMP.

In the meeting minutes for the town, Matt Job, one of the Mount Pleasant Soccer Club booster executives suggests to the MPRD heads that they won't be able to even survive if they have to support the costs of the Awendaw land purchase and improvements as well as increased cost of fields.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/24/18 02:41 AM
Nope,,,, I quoted you asking “is he a Gps Guy like everyone else?” If he is from Boston, surely he must be.... 🙄🙄🤦🏻‍♂️ Look,,, Make a club,,,just do it the right way, I’m sure CBSC will do just fine in the long run,,,, they will win and lose some,,,but the easy way out,,, if you aren’t that successful initially is to blame other clubs!!! I didn’t see a single post on here from SCUMP,,(back then),, or any other local club,,, when Gps came to Charleston and started having a little success.

Ok
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/26/18 01:02 PM
Links for those Town of MP meetings here-

https://www.tompsc.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_05022018-253

https://www.tompsc.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_05012018-251

Interesting reading for sure. Does anyone have the GPS or address of where they are building the USAMP complex?

The last time I was out at the Patriot's Point fields they were pretty shabby at best. They are going to be wrecked once the stampede of sports/teams/clubs gets access to them this fall. Seems like there is a massive amount of pent up demand for field space in MP.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/27/18 12:31 AM
I thought the land was in Awendaw, but in the minutes USAMP seem to suggest MPRD might be able to use the fields if necessary, which couldn't happen if not in Mount Pleasant.

Also wondering how the Town of Mt P will treat use of fields by Cainhoy if MPRD was providing a similar service (rec/travel soccer).
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/27/18 12:41 AM
And by that, I mean they will be treated as equal to all other groups requesting fields.
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/27/18 03:29 PM
And by that, I mean they will be treated as equal to all other groups requesting fields.

The meeting minutes suggest that the council is leaving it in the hands of the Rec Department to figure out fair access for all, etc.

Awendaw seems to be the new complex location, I'm sure they suggested other groups could use the new facility to be fair.
Posted By: USAMTP Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/27/18 05:37 PM
6 Feb 2017 minutes indicate that USAMP contract ended May 2018.
Is there a hand shake deal? are they operating without a contract?

"The Committee returned from executive session at 2:28 p.m.
Mr. Gawrych made a motion to
recommend to Council to
direct legal staff
to move forward in accordance with the existing contract with the United
Soccer Academy Mount Pleasant (USAMP) and begin the process to
terminate that contract with the understanding that the Town will have a
one year extension until May
2018 with the same terms. Mr. Haynie
seconded the motion. Mr. Haynie said all the attributes of the existing
contract will carry forward in that extension period. All were in favor"
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/27/18 06:11 PM
I believe the final decision was to have it end July 31 due to summer Regionals
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/28/18 12:41 AM
Holy crap - out for a few days at a wedding and this thing blows up in all sorts of directions. Seeing our name above and certainly party to the new (MPRD) field negotiations I have to hopefully help settle a few things.

I'll respond with my thoughts on MPRD and its 'developmental' offering in the other thread (really don't see a conflict here), but right now I will address field situation and where we stand. We (CASC) are working together with USA/MP, MPRD and several other parties to gain some access to some of MPRD fields that we have requested for several years without movement. Some of you will recall the legal action we filed (and lost) in this regard (circa 2015-16), and at this point in time, we are working very closely with MPRD and council to seek growth opportunity for our club in support of our mission to provide quality, affordable soccer to any that want it.

But this is not a net zero gain in as much as we are working with MPRD to leverage otherwise idle land and provide more opportunities for soccer in East Cooper (rather than just take or grab USA/MP sites). As a participant in some of these council meetings and subsequent dialog with MPRD (and USA/MP) I feel confident that the outcome here in short and long term will not hurt soccer and confident USA/MP and Cainhoy Atheltic will continue serving their markets utilizing public and private land (and any land classified any other way we can get our hands on).

I believe the USA/MP site is in Awendaw just past the Sewee Outpost on the left off highway 17N about 5 or 6 minutes past Carolina Park. Our own Awendaw site at Seweebay (we share with Oceanside) is about 4 minutes farther so we know this area well. Not bad for north MP residents but a long haul for anyone living anywhere else. I think I mentioned somewhere earlier, my assesment on a site in Awendaw would fall directly in line with my thoughts on the SSC complex, "not bad for weekend games but less desirable for weekday training in traffic over bridges, and poor option for youngest kids who prefer local community sites.'

Back to local leadership comment (not sure if it was me that started that banter) for CPL and as way of clarifying my feelings on that and support for it. Sean is league director and will manage schedules, etc. as a paid contractor and I have no objection if he lived in Timbuktoo as long as he knows his stuff, can offer exprienced guidance, leverage relationships with other leagues for growth, has a computer, internet, and (picks up) a cell phone. What I was referring to was the ability of clubs to self manage and work between ourselves directly to enter teams, adjust divisions and establish blackout dates (or rather lack of them) to offer local influence and member direction to a full and healthy schedule that will offer input and edits by member club leadership (to Sean) and an open dialog between all the participating clubs at any point through the coming year. I can only offer my observations but already I have been party to 3 or 4 (CPL) meetings ahead of schedules which represents 3 or 4 more than I have seen in the last 6 or 7 years so optimistic this league will work well.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/28/18 02:06 AM
Paragraph 1: Welcome back
Para 2: Mount Pleasant now has affordable soccer programs.
Para 3: Agreed. Soccer overall will benefit from the competition between clubs for players: best value will win(cost/quality/location).
Para 4: Agreed USA/Awendaw and Seewee Bay games will discourage participation among most folks south of Longpoint road.
Para 5: what adjustments will clubs possibly make midseason to adjust divisions? Did SYCSA not allow for changes to leagues between seasons? I don't understand what will change but now the approver is in Boston instead of Columbia.

Additionally, bailing from Coastal to freeze out the kids like MPRD travel teams probably won't sit well with MPRD.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 06/28/18 02:37 PM
Bailing from Coastal is not how I view our decision, and certainly wasn't made to freeze out MPRD or anyone else. We made a decision to join a new league with the majority of our peer clubs in the lowcountry based on a promise of something new and exciting that will offer mass and balanced games for our Junior Academy.

I discussed with the MPRD leadership (Athletic Dir and staff) the decision we were making and suggested they consider their next steps early. We have a good relationship with MPRD and its leadership and probably better than most here would imagine. I'm hoping (and trust) that will not change as we move forward.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/06/18 02:02 PM
Cainhoy, USAMP and DISA are hosting a joint combine to help any players who have not joined a club yet. I really like this idea of the clubs working together to help the kids. I don't have a dog in this fight, but Kudos to them for doing it. Hopefully as the CPL gets going, there will be more joint sessions. I love a good rivalry, but they can do alot better for the kids and families by working together.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/06/18 04:14 PM
Wonder how their future revenues are looking due to lost players to MPRD. Looking at financials, it looks like USAMP field fees skyrocketed due to removal of subsidies. Field fees paid to MPRD are now ~$55,000 for 2018-19 season.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/06/18 05:43 PM
Cainhoy, USAMP and DISA are hosting a joint combine to help any players who have not joined a club yet...

Thanks for the Plug. A few more clubs joining us now for the event designed just to help accommodate as many as we can and fill any gaps where they exist. Behind the scenes, this typically happens anyway over summer months but this year we just decided to host an event to improve effectiveness and facilitate better comms.

DETAILS: 2018 Summer Combine
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/06/18 08:20 PM
...Looking at financials, it looks like USAMP field fees skyrocketed due to removal of subsidies. Field fees paid to MPRD are now ~$55,000 for 2018-19 season.

I wish. We pay way more than that for field and landscaping activities - we'd drop 55K in a heartbeat for 5 lit fields for a year. Anyone got 5?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/06/18 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
Cainhoy, USAMP and DISA are hosting a joint combine to help any players who have not joined a club yet...

Thanks for the Plug. A few more clubs joining us now for the event designed just to help accommodate as many as we can and fill any gaps where they exist. Behind the scenes, this typically happens anyway over summer months but this year we just decided to host an event to improve effectiveness and facilitate better comms.

DETAILS: 2018 Summer Combine

This is pretty cool. Who would’ve thought this kind of event, involving these clubs, would happen
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/07/18 11:29 PM
Hmmm
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/08/18 04:10 PM
...Looking at financials, it looks like USAMP field fees skyrocketed due to removal of subsidies. Field fees paid to MPRD are now ~$55,000 for 2018-19 season.

I wish. We pay way more than that for field and landscaping activities - we'd drop 55K in a heartbeat for 5 lit fields for a year. Anyone got 5?

Wow. That suggests after this 1 year transition contract the field costs will be even higher for USAMP as they make fields equally available to other clubs and sports at the same rate. Wow. Good news for Cainhoy if both clubs are treated equally by MPRD. What are the current Cainhoy per-field expenses? Are they outlined in the 990?
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/08/18 04:55 PM
Our most recently publicly available - 2016 reports the following on line 24 a. in Part IX (Functional Expenses)

FIELD OPERATIONS: $138,835

But 2016 probably isn't a good year, or steady state since it included larger investment in two key properties that were one-off in nature.

I'd swag $100K per year as honest proxy to cover rents, improvements (and in large part landscaping).
Yes any deal we see through municipal or governmental opportunity (school district, town, city, etc.) will certainly prove less than private agreements that most often include large overhead and we are excited with potential upside here
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/08/18 05:10 PM
To be even more transparent here, that term "FIELD OPERATIONS" is liberally used to aggregate pretty much any costs associated with standing on something to kick a ball. For example, that number will also include rents and costs associated with our indoor rentals, gym and futsal space which is fairly significant.

Particularly at those times of year outside DST where light hampers our winter month evening schedules
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/08/18 05:18 PM
Our most recently publicly available - 2016 reports the following on line 24 a. in Part IX (Functional Expenses)

FIELD OPERATIONS: $138,835

But 2016 probably isn't a good year, or steady state since it included larger investment in two key properties that were one-off in nature.

I'd swag $100K per year as honest proxy to cover rents, improvements (and in large part landscaping).
Yes any deal we see through municipal or governmental opportunity (school district, town, city, etc.) will certainly prove less than private agreements that most often include large overhead and we are excited with potential upside here

How many fields(or games?) does the $100k cover? How many are lit?

Will the travel to CPL festival days reduce the field requirements?
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal League Rumor - 07/08/18 05:30 PM
Our fields are listed on our website. Very few are lit, which is why access to municipal options is so welcoming.
Particularly in late January and February.

Some of our smaller training spaces are lit in Park West, Mount Pleasant but not game sites.
Not exactly true as we do have access to a few school district sites that supply light but they are in minority.

CPL will certainly make scheduling sites easier, and may lessen game impact, but as anyone in club administration will tell you, that is rarely an issue (league game hosting). For example, very few U13+ games are ever hosted on our site (with any league) since most leagues are statewide and tend to lend themselves to COLA games. And almost no league games are ever scheduled under light.

The much larger headache is scheduling evening training on home sites Mon - Thursday.
Our process is that we offer coaches flexibility to move start times with light but that has always restricted growth as you can imagine.

You seem very interested in all this detail so feel free to email me to discuss more if you like (president@cainhoyathletic.com)
© SC Soccer