SC Soccer
Posted By: Chuck607 Girls ODP - 07/22/18 01:20 AM
So here’s a fun fact. No U16/17 SC girls made the region pool this year. So for those parents thinking about investing $700-$800 on Region camp at that age group next year, save your money and send your kid to a college ID camp. In talking to another coach from GA at the camp, it sounds like some of our own coaches were even talked down to. To be fair though I’m not sure either head coach from both SC teams showed up.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Girls ODP - 07/22/18 03:03 AM
My oldest had a terrible experience at ODP. Neither of my kids will ever participate again. They can do a couple ID camps for the price of ODP.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/22/18 06:22 PM
What coaches got talked down to and what coaches didn't show up?
Posted By: Chuck607 Re: Girls ODP - 07/23/18 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
What coaches got talked down to and what coaches didn't show up?

This is coming from a GA coach so take it for what it’s worth (I wasn’t there). Either the U16 or U 17 coach didn’t show, think he/she coaches with USC. Whatever coach showed up in his place, according to this coach, got ridden a bit. When I was growing up, ODP was THE top when it came to exposure but it’s sad that it’s just turned into another money maker. And if it’s true that a head coach didn’t show, shame on SCYS for allowing that!
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/24/18 02:31 PM
That would be shame for kids. Thanks for i fo.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/24/18 02:32 PM
*info
Posted By: jahlion247 Re: Girls ODP - 07/26/18 02:54 PM
My 2007 daughter has enjoyed the ODP experience but I'm skeptical about it. I haven't met one parent who are happy with the program.
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Girls ODP - 07/26/18 08:04 PM
The state level program website is a disaster. I don't know how anyone can look at this:

http://www.scysa.org/odp/

And get any sense of the program or what the benefits are.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Girls ODP - 07/26/18 08:37 PM
The 05/06 boys list just came out,,,, the region selected 113 kids for the region pool,,,,, SC had 1 selected.....craziness
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: EastOak961
The state level program website is a disaster. I don't know how anyone can look at this:

http://www.scysa.org/odp/

And get any sense of the program or what the benefits are.

I took a look at some other states' ODP sites(as well as USYS and US Club Soccer) and find them all to be cluttered and disjointed or unhelpful. Seems like a business opportunity for a web designers and/or communications pro.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 11:06 AM
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
The 05/06 boys list just came out,,,, the region selected 113 kids for the region pool,,,,, SC had 1 selected.....craziness

Just curious what might be some thoughts on why so few SC kids seem to make any noise at ODP level?
Posted By: jahlion247 Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 11:54 AM
We all know politics play a part in the selection. Then it's up to the player to really stand out and get noticed.

Standing out means being large for their age.

Getting noticed means doing everything right at a high level.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: jahlion247
We all know politics play a part in the selection. Then it's up to the player to really stand out and get noticed.

Standing out means being large for their age.

Getting noticed means doing everything right at a high level.

By large do you mean physically mature? Would bio-banding help SC players in that regard?

Are the heads of SC leagues not doing enough to promote SC players at the higher levels? How can that be resolved?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 05:15 PM
I’m only familiar with the boys side,,, but I do think that ODP is dieing a slow death. If you look at the rosters, there aren’t many from the top clubs in the state. That’s not to say that there aren’t talented kids at smaller clubs,,, but those kids typically don’t play against high level competition during the regular season. Also,,, just by looking at the ODP website, you can tell how much effort the state as a whole puts into it. I think they created the website, back when AOL was big......lol....

My son has participated. To me, the training no where justified the cost.
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
I’m only familiar with the boys side,,, but I do think that ODP is dieing a slow death. If you look at the rosters, there aren’t many from the top clubs in the state. That’s not to say that there aren’t talented kids at smaller clubs,,, but those kids typically don’t play against high level competition during the regular season. Also,,, just by looking at the ODP website, you can tell how much effort the state as a whole puts into it. I think they created the website, back when AOL was big......lol....

My son has participated. To me, the training no where justified the cost.

I noticed that about the youngest group(s). The top teams seemed to have few (if any) players in the pool. There are also more options now for top level training outside of regular team/season play.
Posted By: jahlion247 Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 06:24 PM
Agree. For the younger age groups like us(u12 girls) it's Coerver. Coerver has turned my girl into a technical beast.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 06:52 PM
I really liked coerver,,, unfortunately they can’t ever keep a foothold in Charleston.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 09:41 PM
Yes Coerver has a very bad rep in Charleston. Not sure if it was the program or the instructors.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 10:36 PM
As bad as the SC ODP site is, all the states look bad. Thats just informational, it won't ever develop kids. Maybe it should be promoting SC kids on the site? I dont know what the answrr is but there are no current league/programs/clubs in SC leading the best of SC, so what needs to change in the state?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Girls ODP - 07/27/18 10:36 PM
*leading the best of SC to ODP
© SC Soccer