SC Soccer
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Coastal PDL - 04/15/19 10:05 PM
SCYSA Coastal league is now Coastal PDL with several significant changes.

https://www.coastalpdl.com/faq.html?utm_..._eid=18b7702682

Significant changes include:

Who can participate?
The league is open to ALL Coastal area SCYSA- affiliated clubs who wish to participate. Teams will be placed in appropriate matches under the direction of their club’s Director of Coaching (DOC) who will act in the team's best interest. (not so veiled shot at CPL

What has changed from the former Coastal League?
New games format that provides teams a consolidated 90 minutes of playtime and gives every player the most opportunity to improve. Set games and venues scheduled well in advance, aimed to minimize travel impacts. Consideration will be given to teams that are traveling over an hour. Players will have 90 minutes of play in a single game rather than 100 minutes between two games spread across the day/weekend.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 01:30 AM
I can't see how the "set" game dates are any different than Fall 2018/Spring 2019 in the Coastal League. The set dates changed due to teams/coaches other commitments with tournaments and other teams. It didn't work. Also, teams lose their home games because you can't have half of your games at your location anymore if there are only 6 games and the venues are preset. I really didn't like this past season and was hoping they would go back to the teams scheduling the games themselves like they do in every other league in SCYSA. Why are they trying to change Coastal?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 12:55 PM
JenFal89 who is the Director of Coaching for MPRD? They should have your answers.
Posted By: TwinsDad09 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 01:43 PM
So is this the Battery taking over scysa Coastal instead of applying to the CPL? The link says this will be operated by the Battery soccer club.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 02:11 PM
I DMed you.

Welcome to the board.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 05:43 PM
I think maybe CBSC will administer the league on behalf of the club DOCs that are in the leagu?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 05:46 PM
And I believe CBSC application to the CPL still being "processed" by the excuse factory
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 07:55 PM
So is it basically the same teams in a league that is named differently?? I do like some of the rule changes though!
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/16/19 08:08 PM
I'm assuming the name was changed mostly to reflect the rule changes which are a means to allow focus on player development v team development. More focus on skills attainment and less on scores. Seems a big shift but I get the intent. Teams involved will depend on the clubs.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 02:22 PM
There should be a press release pushed tomorrow. There will not be an application, simply registering through the state association. All clubs currently in the Coastal geographic area will be encouraged to participate.

The new structure was done in conjunction with the technical directors of the current Coastal clubs. Structure certainly looks better for referees and parents. I am leaning toward thinking that the 90 minutes of game time in a single match will be better for kids and coaches that make adjustments and use the games as an instructional time where they can monitor and adjust.
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 02:55 PM
I think the idea of the 90 minute play time is interesting but with the massive discrepancy between team levels (currently in coastal) the extra 40 minutes of a team getting hammered doesn't seem appealing. I understand the league is going to have DOCs work to avoid this but they are supposed to be doing that now and it doesn't happen very well. Unless teams are playing different opponents during that 90 minutes and I am misunderstanding something.

In general though, the league framework looks good, but will absolutely depend on buy-in from all involved (including parents). There are a lot of changes and people don't deal with change very well...
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: EastOak961
I think the idea of the 90 minute play time is interesting but with the massive discrepancy between team levels (currently in coastal) the extra 40 minutes of a team getting hammered doesn't seem appealing. I understand the league is going to have DOCs work to avoid this but they are supposed to be doing that now and it doesn't happen very well. Unless teams are playing different opponents during that 90 minutes and I am misunderstanding something.

In general though, the league framework looks good, but will absolutely depend on buy-in from all involved (including parents). There are a lot of changes and people don't deal with change very well...

That's a good point. I think if you're only going to have 6 games, it would be better to go back to divisions, so the games are more fair and competitive.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 03:38 PM
So is it 6 games total???
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 03:47 PM
Per the link:
"Each season will open with a pre-season Jamboree and teams will play on six fixed game days with one weather make-up date, all dates set in advance" So if there are only six fixed game days, and they are eliminating the double headers and just having 90 minute games, there will only be 6 games. Besides the pre-season Jamboree.

Another thing I don't understand is "Each player is guaranteed a minimum of 25 minutes of uninterrupted playing time each week" How does that work?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 03:58 PM
I like the concept of the 90 minutes..... but with only 6 games,,, that’s literally only 9 hours of soccer for the entire fall..and that’s if they play every minute... that just seems like a lot of money for only 6 games
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 04:22 PM
I believe the 25 minute concept is for kids to play continuously for 25 minutes at some point in the game. They may play more, but they should get at least that one, long uninterrupted stretch.

As for game lengths, 12 game season at 50 minutes a game (two 25 minute halves) is only 10 hours of game time. That’s at 7v7 level, not much different.

At 9v9, the point is more valid.

But, for regular season games, which many coaches and TDs view as scrimmages to assess training, which format do you see serves that purpose better? One regulation length game or two abbreviated games?

I don’t know which is better from a development standpoint, it for parents more interested in keeping score, I know which they prefer.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 05:09 PM
@mysonsdad, to further illustrate the point, this Fall, consider:

USA/MP Galaxy 09 played 10 games over 6 weekends. The season ranged from 9/22 to 11/10. That is an 8 week span that allows for two open weekends.

GPS NASA 07 played 7 games over 5 weekends from 9/22 to 11/3. That is a week span with two open weekends.

The 09 Galaxy team got 40 minutes less of regular season playing time (10 games at 50 minutes each = 500 minutes for USA/MP vs 6 games at 90 minutes each = 540 minutes for the proposed Coastal)

The 07 NASA team 120 minutes less (7 games at 60 minutes each = 420 minutes vs 6 games at 90 minutes each = 540 minutes for the proposed Coastal)

Considering both go to tournaments, and may have jamborees, from a value standpoint, the CPL games are more expensive and provide less value. That is unless I am missing something or my math is wrong.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 06:28 PM
Generally I'd prefer a few more game days but uncertain we'd get that anywhere.

Why I state that...

Mitigates risk of absence. If you have 6 game days and miss 1 week due to illness or vacation, that's 17%. Two days and its a third of your season. Compared to 12.5% and quarter with 8 games
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 06:58 PM
It looks like you math is correct,,, but if you look at the full year, it works out. I think most of the younger gps maroon team tended to play more of their games in the spring than in the fall. I am assuming because the coaches didn't have an older team they had to schedule around in the Spring. We were told from the beginning that the schedule was a year long schedule... I also know that the younger teams all played numerous friendlies that would not have been included on the cpl schedule.

If we are looking strictly at minutes as a metric,,, As a parent I would want quality minutes. In the youngest division of the coastal league.... 7 out of 10 teams are CBSC team. I don’t have a clue as to their quality,,, but I would imagine playing the 5th, 6th or 7th CBSC team would not be the same atmosphere as playing the top scufc, usamp or discovories teams.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 07:03 PM
Now, you wouldn't be playing the top SCUFC or DSC teams in the lowest ages (U8-U10) of CPL either.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 07:08 PM
Haha,,, no, I guess not
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 07:17 PM
As a parent, I want my kid to learn and love the sport. I'm not concerned with games minutes per dollar. Thats a bad metric.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
It looks like you math is correct,,, but if you look at the full year, it works out. I think most of the younger gps maroon team tended to play more of their games in the spring than in the fall. I am assuming because the coaches didn't have an older team they had to schedule around in the Spring. We were told from the beginning that the schedule was a year long schedule... I also know that the younger teams all played numerous friendlies that would not have been included on the cpl schedule.

If we are looking strictly at minutes as a metric,,, As a parent I would want quality minutes. In the youngest division of the coastal league.... 7 out of 10 teams are CBSC team. I don’t have a clue as to their quality,,, but I would imagine playing the 5th, 6th or 7th CBSC team would not be the same atmosphere as playing the top scufc, usamp or discovories teams.

I only pointed out the minutes because you stated that expense for number of games and value. Strictly speaking to that point alone, the new format offers better value, not less.

As to quality of games (or quality opponent played) that is an altogether different issue. I try to look at it from both the 7v7 and 9v9 level.

I cannot speak to the number of games the new league will have in the Spring. I do not believe that has been stated. I do like the format better, at least on paper, but will have to see it played out to form a final opinion.

Finally, if you are only looking at the quality of opponents from the top teams perspective and conclude the Coastal has a lot of weaker teams, then by that very same criticism, if your son/daughter plays on a weaker team, the Coastal offers far better competition choices than CPL.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 10:24 PM
Not sure if I agree or not on that last point (we certainly have some lower level teams in CPL), but at some point there is a real question to clubs about administrative overhead, logistics, growth, registering and sanctioning bodies.

While not impossible, certainly harder to pick and choose sanctioning bodies (leagues) on a team by team basis. Or even cohort model. In addition that can hurt pooling, club passing, rostering decisions and hamper growth opportunities for players deserving to move to a stronger team mid-year.

I actually don't see the two junior academy leagues as some sort of 'thunderdome' exercise to bash each other until one limps off to oblivion (seems to happen on here a lot), but almost as a necessity to support all the clubs and teams wherever they register (SCYS or US CLUB).

Of course, will get much harder as teams age up, team rosters grow and player counts drop (particularly on girls side) and disparate model is not viable. But then again both sides have particularly restrictive policies that force a binary decision. Interesting times...
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/17/19 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic
Not sure if I agree or not on that last point (we certainly have some lower level teams in CPL), but at some point there is a real question to clubs about administrative overhead, logistics, growth, registering and sanctioning bodies.

While not impossible, certainly harder to pick and choose sanctioning bodies (leagues) on a team by team basis. Or even cohort model. In addition that can hurt pooling, club passing, rostering decisions and hamper growth opportunities for players deserving to move to a stronger team mid-year.

I actually don't see the two junior academy leagues as some sort of 'thunderdome' exercise to bash each other until one limps off to oblivion (seems to happen on here a lot), but almost as a necessity to support all the clubs and teams wherever they register (SCYS or US CLUB).

Of course, will get much harder as teams age up, team rosters grow and player counts drop (particularly on girls side) and disparate model is not viable. But then again both sides have particularly restrictive policies that force a binary decision. Interesting times...

Curious as what particularly restrictive policies you see on both sides. And while it is admirable of you to see both organizations as a necessity, I think you can understand why certain viewpoints hold that some clubs have been deliberately hostile to others and leaves many to question motive (all kids, some kids, or adults self interest).

On a personal level, I have tried to tone down the antagonism (at least publicly). However, I have become very disillusioned by what I see as some for-profit clubs going to great lengths to protect their bottom line. I thought parents would be the biggest problem. I was naive and thought this was about the kids and the game. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: Coastal PDL - 04/18/19 12:30 PM
For the restrictions for CPL, they lie with the requirements to enter through application and desired mass, etc. Many smaller clubs and even some larger ones may fail to meet the application requirements.

In the case of SCYS, the current version of Promotion/Relegation Policy prevents real issues for clubs with Junior Academy programs not playing with SCYS. Anyone listening tp me since late spring, 2018 will know my feeling about that change.

In both cases, rules prevent options, and becomes Hobson's choice for clubs.

We have certainly seen hostility towards us over the 10 years (including the last 2) we have been in existence, and some of it well documented on this board but some much uglier than I can, or will, share here. Guess I'm too much of a 'gentleman'. One day 'I'll write a book and describe some of the antics that are all too true and deliberately initiated to slow our growth blush

So I certainlty cede to the notion that there are many agendas out there in every corner.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/18/19 12:54 PM

In both cases, rules prevent options, and becomes Hobson's choice for clubs.

That's a great phrase. I'll admit I had to look it up. Sounds smarter than "Take it or leave it"
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/18/19 01:19 PM
We have certainly seen hostility towards us over the 10 years (including the last 2) we have been in existence, and some of it well documented on this board but some much uglier than I can, or will, share here. Guess I'm too much of a 'gentleman'. One day 'I'll write a book and describe some of the antics that are all too true and deliberately initiated to slow our growth blush

If the ugliness is more than just that silly lawsuit and you were genuinely looking out for the interest of the sport locally, then I am sorry to hear that.

I respect that you stepped in to offer a place for underserved in Cainhoy AND then even when you refocused efforts toward disgruntled Mt P parents who either a) were from MPRD teams looking for a way to play above u12 or B) looking for more affordability and/or less shenanigans than USAMP. You should be proud of those things (you may blush again)
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/21/19 06:10 PM
I have a question for CBSC parents, why did CBSC agree to administer the new Coastal PDL? From my understanding (from posts on other threads), they are still waiting to hear about their Fall application/admittance to CPL. Seems like a huge conflict of interest that CBSC has committed themselves to.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/21/19 07:02 PM
Its a good question to ask at the CBSC April 29th open forum
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/30/19 02:43 AM
One interesting point that came out about this league. The first two 25 periods have no substitutions. The last 40 will be a ‘normal’ game atmosphere. Patterned after European model.

Also, the games will be in September and November. Leaves October open for tournaments.

Game times will be 9:00 and 11:00. No Sundays. Carolina Park and Patriots Point as well as Summerville will be available game venues.
Posted By: Talon Re: Coastal PDL - 04/30/19 12:10 PM
Love those changes. Although I would prefer Sunday play as opposed to Saturday.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 04/30/19 12:30 PM
I think 25 minutes of continuous play for some teams is going to be very difficult. We’ve played multiple teams that have one or two subs, which means most of the boys will play 50 minutes straight. Which is almost the length of what they are used to playing and then you’re asking them to play another 40 minutes. Guess summer conditioning will need to be a priority if they are kicking off with a pre-season jamboree and then going right into September games.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 04/30/19 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: JenFal89
I think 25 minutes of continuous play for some teams is going to be very difficult. We’ve played multiple teams that have one or two subs, which means most of the boys will play 50 minutes straight. Which is almost the length of what they are used to playing and then you’re asking them to play another 40 minutes. Guess summer conditioning will need to be a priority if they are kicking off with a pre-season jamboree and then going right into September games.

Just guessing, but i think the rules are to ensure all kids get proper playing time. In the event that teams don't have enough players, likely there would be some leeway.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 04/30/19 01:53 PM
@Talon, since the games are in the morning, I am good with Saturdays.

@Jen It will be a challenge for the kids physically. No doubt. I do think it truly allows every kid though to play long enough to get a feel for the game, learn, and make adjustments. It is definitely a growth centered model.

The jamboree will be different. Three 30 minute games against three different teams. This will hopefully allow CBSC to determine appropriate matchups to prevent lopsided games. It won't be perfect, but should help. It is scheduled for Aug 24.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/01/19 01:53 PM
I understand the thought behind the model. I just know that we have a full roster and play multiple teams with only 1 or 2 subs. By the end of the game the other team is worn out (after 60 minutes) whereas we have fresh legs because our coach doesn't favor any players and subs equally throughout the game. There is either going to be a rule in the first 2 periods that you can sub or not. During evals teams need to take this into account, knowing that this is the model for the fall season.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 05/01/19 02:05 PM
Teams will not be able to sub during the first two periods. That is what was stated at the CBSC open forum.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/01/19 02:12 PM
Thanks Shamrock Rovers. That's what I was thinking. I wonder what it will be like for the kids though, sitting on the bench (8, 9, 10, 11 year olds) for 25 minutes. They are not known for their attention span (LOL).
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 05/01/19 02:20 PM
Both very valid points that should be addressed by the DOCs and/or coaches, then communicated to parents.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 05/01/19 03:09 PM
If you are having trouble getting answers from your team/club or the SCYSA site, try Charleston Battery Soccer Club.

Call 843-971-4625 and ask for Derek Broadley
OR
questions@chsbatterysc.com
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 05/08/19 01:34 AM
CBSC will definitely play in this league. Were officially notified they were not admitted into the CPL last week. Word is two clubs voted to deny their admission: USA/MP and Cainhoy Athletic.

Unfortunate if true. Not sure why the CPL would be better without them.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 05/08/19 02:41 PM
In an attempt at fairness, I would like to point out that due to the secretive nature of the CPL admissions process, this cannot be verified or confirmed except by the actual voting members. What I pushed is feedback that has been put out publicly. However, I cannot verify which clubs actually voted how. While it may not in fact be true, it is the narrative that has been put out. In repeating it I am possibly guilty of furthering an untruth, but also allowing those affected to be aware and address it.

I don't believe any club will publicly state their vote as to protect the other clubs from being singled out.
Posted By: EastOak961 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/09/19 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
In an attempt at fairness, I would like to point out that due to the secretive nature of the CPL admissions process, this cannot be verified or confirmed except by the actual voting members. What I pushed is feedback that has been put out publicly. However, I cannot verify which clubs actually voted how. While it may not in fact be true, it is the narrative that has been put out. In repeating it I am possibly guilty of furthering an untruth, but also allowing those affected to be aware and address it.

I don't believe any club will publicly state their vote as to protect the other clubs from being singled out.

Not that I have heard any different but from what I understand, only one club would need to vote against to keep another club from getting in. But it could be blind voting so that could explain some things...
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/20/19 04:36 PM
If CBSC is administering this league, are they going to release a schedule (Registration deadline, Scheduling date, Pre-Season Jamboree date, etc)? SCYSA has released their Fall 2019/Spring 2020 Calendar and the new Coastal PDL is not on it at all; it is just Open, PMSL, Challenge, Jim Hudson and Sandlapper. I think someone on here said when the pre-season Jamboree is but I have not seen anything official. When is this calendar going to come out? Is it going to be on the SCYSA site or CBSC?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 05/20/19 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: JenFal89
If CBSC is administering this league, are they going to release a schedule (Registration deadline, Scheduling date, Pre-Season Jamboree date, etc)? SCYSA has released their Fall 2019/Spring 2020 Calendar and the new Coastal PDL is not on it at all; it is just Open, PMSL, Challenge, Jim Hudson and Sandlapper. I think someone on here said when the pre-season Jamboree is but I have not seen anything official. When is this calendar going to come out? Is it going to be on the SCYSA site or CBSC?

Do you have a link you can share?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 05/20/19 06:21 PM
Jen, this is what I know.

Games are on Saturdays in Sept and November
Times are 9:00 and 11:00
No games in October
Jamboree on August 24

Point of contact is Nydia Shelton

There is also a coastalpdl.com site that that I would expect to post the information

Hope this helps
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/20/19 09:12 PM
From the SCYSA site...
http://www.scysa.org/about/upcoming_eventscalendar/
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 05/23/19 11:21 AM
Jen, I think this is the timeline you may be looking for.

https://www.coastalpdl.com/registration.html
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 05/23/19 01:58 PM
Thank you. We met with our DOC the other day and he gave us the timeline. I guess it is always best to check with your club director as they will most likely have the most up to date info.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 06/11/19 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Jen, I think this is the timeline you may be looking for.

https://www.coastalpdl.com/registration.html

It says "Registration Opens June 2019," 11 days in and still no more information. SCYSA has their registration info laid out all the way thru Spring 2020 for every league. Coastal PDL still doesn't have a timeline for Fall 2019 publicized. Wonder what the hold up is publishing a link for registration.
Posted By: SoccerinLC Re: Coastal PDL - 06/11/19 03:16 PM
Who is running the Coastal PDL?
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 08/06/19 02:00 PM
Does anyone know what the Pre-Season Jamboree on 9/7 entails? Are there any scrimmage-like games or is it just a parade of teams?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Coastal PDL - 08/06/19 02:30 PM
Was told three 30 minute games.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 08/06/19 03:12 PM
Gotcha...thanks. I know with some other sports they just do a parade of teams.
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 08/23/19 02:58 PM
I saw that they moved some of the U11 teams to U12. Not sure if that means they are going to do divisions or not. I also just read the league rules on the Coastal PDL site. The schedule is not being released until September 8th, I'm guessing after the jamboree to make any adjustments. Has anyone heard anything about a jamboree schedule (times, locations, etc.)?
Posted By: JenFal89 Re: Coastal PDL - 10/02/19 01:06 PM
I was looking to get some honest feedback from Coastal PDL parents on what they think of the new format (ie - 3 periods, no subs in the first 2 and only the 3rd period score counting) so far, now that we have completed half the season.

After speaking with parents on our team, everyone's biggest issue is the scoring. Its hard to explain to our kids (who maybe scored their first goal) that it doesn't count until the 3rd period. I'm sure people will respond that this is for player development and not the team's win/loss record but we've seen teams not playing hard, or playing kids out of position until it "counts" in the 3rd period. So, the coaches across the board are playing to win in the 3rd period.

Just looking for some feedback...what are everyone's thoughts?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 10/02/19 02:05 PM
I think it depends on age groups. At the u11 & u10 level, its g to see 2 periods focused on development and I hven't seen a kid not play hard until 3rd period because it didnt "count." I have seen some parents cheer harder in the third wink

That said, this observation is at the u11, u10 level. It's a non-issue and the kids are just playing. I can imagine the older kids with a few years of "normal" games might act differently.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Coastal PDL - 10/03/19 07:57 PM
I also thought it is a great, low-pressure environment for these referees. There are quite a few young kids and it's great to see.
© SC Soccer