SC Soccer
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Major GPS News - 06/19/20 06:15 PM
It has been mentioned on another thread, but probably deserves its own place.

Word out there is a major club, with a strong SC presence, has gone out of business nationwide effective immediately. I have not been able to verify this independently so as I type this it Is rumor.

I hesitated to post, but because of the implications this would have on a lot families, I think It should be shared as I know a lot of people lurk here and look for information. I am sure better connected people will add what they know (at least I hope they do).
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 06:33 PM
I heard this is the case.... effective immediately
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 06:58 PM
Should be a fun weekend of rumors.
Posted By: TwinsDad09 Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 08:41 PM
I can confirm. Just got the email.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: TwinsDad09
I can confirm. Just got the email.

I hope all the kids, families, coaches and staff find a positive out of this and are welcomed by other clubs. Hard to imagine worse timing.
Posted By: TwinsDad09 Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 09:17 PM
The kids will be able to find other clubs for sure. Sucks for the coaches. Hopefully they can land other places quickly. I guess surf and CUSC tryouts u9-u12 will be a little more crowded than they anticipated.
Posted By: TwinsDad09 Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 09:18 PM
I feel for the older kids and the NPL kids that committed to GPS last week
Posted By: SoccerinLC Re: Major GPS News - 06/19/20 09:55 PM
Very tragic! Feel bad for those impacted.
Posted By: rhhs Re: Major GPS News - 06/20/20 09:03 AM
Quite frankly, the Lexington County Soccer Club should have learned from their previous affilliation with the Liverool model that this was setup to fail.

Having an entity come in and "run your club" speaks volumes as to how the local club should represent itself. GPS had already proven to be a failure elsewhere so why should it work in South Carolina? Just because their is some "partnership" with a great European professional club like Bayern Munich does not guarantee development or success.

I fear we will see more of these types of closings with the ongoing scamdemic (pandemic) and this will strengthen the hold of mighty SC United FC in the Columbia vicinity.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: Major GPS News - 06/20/20 02:47 PM
GPS Charleston NPL spot officially stays in the family. Former GPS and JIYSC/CSC boys have no reason to panic. This signifies the continuance of a great relationship between JIYSC and CSC!
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: Major GPS News - 06/21/20 11:31 AM
https://www.soccertoday.com/global-premier-soccer-closes-yes-gps-shuts-tonight/
© SC Soccer