SC Soccer
Posted By: mysonsdad renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 11:09 AM
Dorchester County has decided to move forward with their development plans for the soccer complex in Summerville. I am excited about this. Hopefully this means that all Dorchester County kids will have the ability to access this and not just players from a particular club.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/01/29/design-new-soccer-rec-center-summerville-area-nearly-complete/
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 12:06 PM
If you read the Redevelopment plan, it states:

Improvements to or Construction of Public Buildings and Environmental, Cultural
and Recreational Facilities
These projects include, but are not limited to:
-Improvements to the Ladson Road EMS/Fire Station
-Jessen Boat Landing Improvements
-Town of Summerville’s “Bend on the Ashley” Eco-tourism Center
-Improvements to the Dorchester County property currently operated by the
Charleston Battery Soccer Club
-Branch of the Dorchester County Library in Oakbrook

My guess would be that the upgraded soccer fields will be available to all soccer clubs once the lease with CSC is up.

https://www.dorchestercountysc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=19596
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 03:00 PM
The CSC is lease, to my knowledge was for 30 years. I have not seen anything to suggest that has changed. I think you are more likely to access granted for lacrosse and other sports before another club. I would think that CSC protected itself in some way by granting access to non-club soccer (re: High School).

Otherwise, Surf would set up shop in there, having given up nothing.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 03:01 PM
The CSC is lease, to my knowledge was for 30 years. I have not seen anything to suggest that has changed. I think you are more likely to see access granted for lacrosse and other sports before another club. I would think that CSC protected itself in some way by granting access to non-club soccer (re: High School).

Otherwise, Surf would set up shop in there, having given up nothing.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 03:13 PM
That makes sense that about the lease. My only thought would be that if they are pouring that much money into a facilty, the kids from all of Dorchester county should be able to benefit. Whether it’s soccer, lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising.... public money should mean the public has access. I know I’ve seen a surf team, a mt. Pleasant rec team and a csc team all practicing next to each other at Patriots. I think that is a good model for public space.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: mysonsdad
That makes sense that about the lease. My only thought would be that if they are pouring that much money into a facilty, the kids from all of Dorchester county should be able to benefit. Whether it’s soccer, lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising.... public money should mean the public has access. I know I’ve seen a surf team, a mt. Pleasant rec team and a csc team all practicing next to each other at Patriots. I think that is a good model for public space.

I don't disagree. My guess is CSC would ask for at least two things before entering into this agreement:
1. Priority of access for their teams.
2. Exclusivity from a club soccer standpoint.

Unlike the the example you state, in this case, CSC is giving up 100% access and control for 30 years for $5,000,000 in renovations. That is a considerable sacrifice on their part. I strongly doubt that they would not have language to ensure another club could just waltz in and directly compete with them on fields they once solely controlled.

If other other sports/clubs wanted access (lacrosse, frisbee, or anyone just exercising), that would make more sense.

Also, unsaid, and I do not have the answer to this, is who is responsible for the field maintenance going forward?

If the answer to the above is CSC, would CSC be willing to be on the hook for field maintenance for other groups?

If CSC continues to manage, maintain and line the fields, use their own goals, etc..., wouldn't outside organizations be expected to pay a rental fee like they do at Patriots Point (especially private groups)?

And if so, to whom?

If the Town is maintaining it, will they have someone dedicated to its scheduling?

Still a lot of questions out there.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 04:23 PM
I get it,, I just can’t imagine the county/town/school district would benefit from an agreement that limits who can rent it. I understood it when it was SSC, they had a long history in that area. However the Charleston Soccer club isn’t based or headquartered in Summerville or Dorchester County. They are no different than any other club area. Why would tax money be used to benefit one organization over another?

I’m not advocating it being exclusive for anyone. The county has a new recreation department. They can take over the rental for all organizations. If my sons flag football wants to
Rent one of those fields, they should be able to. That is all I am saying.

The town/county/district is entering into the same type agreement to refurbish the Stafium that Summerville plays in. They are also looking at allowing organizations to rent it out and using it for public events.

It just makes sense when everyone is contributing tax money towards it that everyone has a chance to benefit from it.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:01 PM
Sounds like you lack imagination. Dorchester County is likely
A) thinking long term
B) happy to have access for football, lax, dog park, etc.
C) unconcerned that the emperor has no turf
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:16 PM
I guess I don’t have imagination... who knew? Thinking long term would be increasing revenue in that area. I’m pretty sure that’s why the county is investing that money to upgrade the facility. Having a first class faculty that is able to be rented out,,, lots of tournaments you could do there. Food truck rodeos,, plenty of things year round...Also,,, there are plenty of actual non-profit sports teams in that area that need field space. Sertoma football teams, t ball teams, I’ve seen these Poor kids practicing in little tiny patches of grass all over Summerville. While the ssc facility remained locked up. Those facility improvements should and could benefit everyone. Not sure about the emperor with no turf comment,,, I thought this facility was getting 2 turfed fields.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:21 PM
Sorry I might not have read what you wrote clearly. I didn't expect these nonsense takes until closer to tryouts. I "imagine" CSC will rent available fields to clubs that need fields, just like TOMPSC does.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:23 PM
I don’t think it’s a whole bunch of nonsense,,, I guess we will see how it shakes out.... not a reason to be a dick,,,, but ok.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:24 PM
And to be fair,,, I’m just glad your back commenting again. I am sure it was a long Fall season.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:25 PM
It still is tbf
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:31 PM
Best of luck tomorrow!
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:36 PM
You too!
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 08:48 PM
Bottom line is those fields are leased to CSC for decades, no matter how anyone feels about it. Period. Starting goofy rumors only leads parents of non-CSC clubs getting their hopes up and being let down.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 09:19 PM
I don’t think anything I have said is a goofy rumor. The bottom line is I live and work in that area. Which is more than I can say for most that will post on this topic. The Charleston soccer club is no longer SSC. I think many people in the town and county are now realizing this. I do know that several people in the area have brought up the fact of using public money to solely benefit an organization that is not based in the town/county/school district and will exclude so many kids is not right ... which part of that is a rumor? They are building basketball courts, ya’ll going to lock those kids out too? I do know the county is developing this area to bring money into the area,,,, not to just benefit a select organization. That was the goal the entire time. I do know that many many actual 501c teams would love to access to this public land. Which part of that is a rumor?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 09:47 PM
I understand what you want and that you live there. None of that matters.

CSC has a lease for that property, which is only part of the redev. The county explicitly mention that in the redev plan.

It will be up to CSC. If CSC wants to rent it or donate it or barter for used shoes, they will. If not, they won't. Period.

The 501c comment made me chuckle though. Half a million to a director over 5 years is charitable I guess.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/29/21 10:09 PM
With my 501 c comment, I was thinking more about all the sertoma football teams in the area that have fight for practice space all over Summerville. is csc going to charge these teams rent for fields that they get for a dollar a year in the first place??? No way..... that’s a PR nightmare. Is CSC going to charge the kids to play basketball?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 07:11 AM
We'll find out I suppose.

Sounds like a councilman wants to delay/cancel the upgrades to the fields as well:

https://abcnews4.com/amp/news/local/plan...g-to-councilman
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 09:07 AM
I get it,, I just can’t imagine the county/town/school district would benefit from an agreement that limits who can rent it. I understood it when it was SSC, they had a long history in that area. However the Charleston Soccer club isn’t based or headquartered in Summerville or Dorchester County. They are no different than any other club area. Why would tax money be used to benefit one organization over another?

In this case, I believe that CSC is asked to allow access for other sports and they are the exclusive provider of soccer on those fields, then the taxpayers are fairly well served. That is what the Town may get. Vastly increased access for athletics.

What wouldn’t the Town get? More than one soccer club at that those fields. Soccer isn’t being denied. If a taxpayer wants his kid to play soccer there, he signs up for CSC.

I think CSC should be able to retain the soccer exclusivity they currently enjoy
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 10:21 AM
I agree,,, increased access for all athletics should be the goal. Hopefully that is what happens. Hopefully our town/county/school district is not
In the business of picking winners and losers when dealing with athletics. I don’t think a tax payer should be forced to pick one private entity over another to have access to public land. Equality should be the goal.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 10:49 AM
TOMPSC had to wait out a contract for fields use by the Mount Pleasant Booster Club in order to make it available for all, Dorchester will too if they want to control what happens on the property.

So they'll have to wait the remainder of the 40 year contract. Or they can renovate now and open up some space for other sports at the soccer complex. That is up to them.

CSC will have to renovate themselves if the county backs out.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 11:05 AM
I agree,,, increased access for all athletics should be the goal. Hopefully that is what happens. Hopefully our town/county/school district is not
In the business of picking winners and losers when dealing with athletics. I don’t think a tax payer should be forced to pick one private entity over another to have access to public land. Equality should be the goal.

I get what you are saying, but municipalities do it all the time. As a taxpayer, I have no say on what news channels are shown at airports. The municipality and news org enter into a contract. No different here. Why should any organization that has control of land enter into an agreement with a municipality that forces them to give up there one and only advantage?

CSC did not have enter into the TIF. The YMCA didn’t. Both sides entered in a way that was mutually beneficial. The club gets improved facilities. The Town (and tax payers) gets increased access to recreational facilities.

Clamoring for increased club options at that location misses the point. Taxpayers support Gahagan. Where the soccer fields there? Taxpayers support the baseball/softball complex at Westscott. Again soccer taxpayers derive no benefit. There are winners and losers every time. Kids have options. The Y, DUSC are examples that play nearby.

I have yet to see a valid argument about why CSC should enter into this agreement and no longer remain sole proprietor of soccer at a facility they currently are. I get it, you see taxes paid and want open access across the board. Not going to happen. In this case, both sides benefit. Both gain something and both lose something.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 11:52 AM
I guess we will see how this all ends up. Probably much ado about nothing. But I would assume that 1) CSC has had a MOU since November and hasn’t signed it or even mentioned it to its families and 2) the councilman making a statement to the news like: “I think they are doing a disservice to the citizens of Summerville, to the citizens of Dorchester County. We are dealing with an entity located in Charleston County, in Mt. Pleasant, that is not looking out for our folks like I think it should be,”.
I think it safe to assume the talks have not gone well.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 01/30/21 12:25 PM
Sounds like we're all back on the same page about what the 2 possible futures are.

A) CSC property improved with TIF per plans and some other sports utilize as well
B) CSC property not improved, it remains only soccer and only CSC
Posted By: Charlie Eagle Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 01:54 PM
just catching up on this thread. I seem to recall that town of mount pleasant was sued for field access in 2016 due to an "exclusive agreement with another soccer operation." if taxpayer money is going into improving these fields in summervile then there should be no exclusive agreements. the town/county would stand to benefit more by renting equally. clubs should not benefit off taxpayers.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ca...4102f64e33.html
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 02:50 PM
Oh my, now you've done it, and dragged that up. We lost that one - 14th amendment (and various angles) didn't apply.
I think the court in its final statement provides a clear indication of their assessment of the issue.

“…That may be a powerful argument, but it is an argument appropriately addressed to the voters of Mount Pleasant and their elected representatives. This case presents no federal constitutional issue, and this Court cannot-and would not-take over management of local youth soccer on the basis of plaintiff s policy disagreements with local elected authorities.”

Not that we don’t have a reasonable ask, but that it is something for the local authorities to manage. A political issue, not legal.

To the main topic, I'm delighted to see some possible improvements to any facility (regardless of who pays). Mind you, I'd much rather see that money invested in new facilities. Honestly the CSC (SSC) complex has operated for years and I've never minded playing there. Bet our members would give a right arm for something similar in our neck of the woods.

For sure, you lose days to rain and wet, but who doesn't. Try operating in the sea level plains of East Cooper (parts of Trident still under water today)
In the grand scheme of things, I'd factor a 20% hit to schedules each year as opposed to maybe 10% on higher/better drained ground. So the delta isn't that great (point proven yesterday Carolina Park was closed (with its drainage) as well as Trident (without)).

Interesting to see where this goes and I'll look forward to any game out there (as is or improved).
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 03:29 PM
Good to hear from you Coach! Sorry you got dragged back in!
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Eagle
just catching up on this thread. I seem to recall that town of mount pleasant was sued for field access in 2016 due to an "exclusive agreement with another soccer operation." if taxpayer money is going into improving these fields in summervile then there should be no exclusive agreements. the town/county would stand to benefit more by renting equally. clubs should not benefit off taxpayers.

Thank you for contributing. This is an apples to oranges comparison. CSC has a 30 year lease on the property. It is in a flood zone. Dorchester County would benefit more tenting equally, certainly.

Or they could not invest at all and get no access.

Keep in mind, this is a one time cost. To my knowledge, the maintenance of the facility is still CSCs responsibility (which is not a small cost). The County had to decide if the increased access for other groups was worth the investment. CSC had to decide if the investment was worth giving up complete autonomy.

This idea of taxpayer money and exclusivity with a private organization is commonplace (airports and CNN or state universities and exclusive apparel contracts for example). You may not like it and you may not think it’s right, but it happens all the time.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Eagle

In the reply, just above yours, I explained what 2 outcomes could happen. I'll repeat it below for you, with a tweak:

"A) CSC property improved with TIF per plans and some other sports utilize as well
B) CSC property not improved, it remains only soccer and at CSCs discretion who else may use"
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/02/21 09:24 PM
Kinda nice to have a little shake up and have people commenting again. I would imagine regardless of what happens, there would be some public use of that complex. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/03/21 07:55 AM
According to the 3 year marketing cycle consisting of:

1st year- new fields planned(!) that doesn't happen
2nd- new super important merger(!!) that amounts to a temporary kit change
3rd- new exclusive league(!!!) that winds up providing temporary respite from local competition, and farther travel for kids

I imagine we'll hear about plans for a new league affiliation that will shake us to the very core of our FOMO.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/08/21 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: scsoccerfan123D
According to the 3 year marketing cycle consisting of:

1st year- new fields planned(!) that doesn't happen
2nd- new super important merger(!!) that amounts to a temporary kit change
3rd- new exclusive league(!!!) that winds up providing temporary respite from local competition, and farther travel for kids

I imagine we'll hear about plans for a new league affiliation that will shake us to the very core of our FOMO.

LOL
Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/08/21 09:30 PM
Must admit I was chuckling myself at this one.
Nostradamus
Posted By: SoccerinLC Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/09/21 01:44 PM
“Nostradamus” in the OP’s ability to see that a club had proven on the field its ability to move into stronger league and such an announcement would be forthcoming. Bravo!
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/09/21 03:10 PM
Lol. Was "forthcoming" on your word of the day desk calendar? Or are you rehearsing Polonius for a Shakespeare in the Park production?
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/26/21 03:48 PM
Looks like someone is trying to hide this:

http://forums.scsoccer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178426#Post178426
Posted By: SoccerinLC Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/27/21 09:18 AM
Seems someone should be embarrassed by how the facts makes them look:

You suggest the named individual in your post has committed a crime. However has yet to be charged or even named as a suspect. The Boston Globe article on this matter list coconspirators being targeted, the individual you name is not included.

Furthermore you suggest that former employees who worked under the named individual are guilty by association of the named individual, who as previous stated has not been charged with a crime nor is listed as a coconspirator.

The only thing your post is shedding light on is your obsession with all things Surf.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 02/28/21 08:57 PM
Nice article today in the post and courier about the development. They said it is delayed because CSC is refusing to sign the memorandum of understanding and that they are looking to develop another area. It will be interesting.
Posted By: scsoccerfan123D Re: renovation of old SSC fields - 03/01/21 06:36 AM
Can you post the link so people can read it? Its an important topic and people need to know what's going on.
© SC Soccer