SC Soccer
Posted By: 1977 Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/03/06 08:24 PM
The only question to be settled in this league is who will be the runners up to the CESA 92 Premier team?
Posted By: dhunter Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/03/06 08:40 PM
CESA 93 Premier
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/04/06 12:25 AM
CESA 92's first real test will be at the Disney Showcase in November.
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/04/06 03:12 AM
Cesa 93 Premier, this weekend won the top flight at Greensboro.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/04/06 03:39 PM
CESA 92G Premier is no dought the best team in the state in their age group. They have now broke into the top ten in the region (8) and 28 nationally. After the Showcase I expect they will go even higher. I do agree that the 93 team is a very good team. If I am right several of those players are playing up on that team.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/04/06 10:52 PM
Quote:

CESA 92G Premier is no dought the best team in the state in their age group.

This is a pretty bold statement. Didn't CESA 92G Premier have 2 ties against Bridge FA 92G last spring? Has much changed, personnel-wise or otherwise, for either of these 2 teams, that would lead you to believe that CESA 92G Premier are so much stronger than Bridge FA 92G?
I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering what would lead you to say this, when they didn't seem to establish a dominance (at least I don't think so, I could be wrong about this, too), over Bridge FA 92G?
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 01:29 PM
I heard the CESA 92 Girls Premier had many internal problems and lost a number of players from last years squad. It appears some of their new players are not "A" level players. I also heard that they are currently having a problem with committment on this years team. Apparently some number of players are interested in other sports and are not participating as much as the coach demands. If any or all of this is true, there is no way that they will be able to compete at the same level they have in the past.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 01:43 PM
Let's see...CESA U14G Premier...defending state champions, just won the tournament in Knoxville where they beat everyone they played. Well, maybe it was just some bad teams that they beat in Knoxville, right? Let's see...the teams they beat include NASA (formerly the Silverbacks) Elite, Tennessee United, Lexington FC Premier (KY). Well...not too shabby.

Now...I know that they haven't started their season yet...but I'm just wondering...if this is a team in turmoil with internal dissent, bad players, and a lack of interest -- I wonder how good they'd be if they all got along, had good players, and cared about soccer?
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 02:19 PM
Greenacres,

Wow! You sure have a lot of inside "scoop," for someone I'm assuming doesn't coach the team, doesn't play for the team, and doesn't have a child on the team. I'd venture to say that you seem to "know" more than some of the people directly involved with the team. I am somewhat more closely associated (at least, I think I am) with the team and had not heard any of what you claim to have heard.
By the way, I was not intending to incite dirt-slinging such as this on anyone or any team by questioning Hobo's take on CESA 92G's promise. I was simply wondering what Hobo thought had changed in CESA 92G's favor, against a team (Bridge FA 92G) whom I thought had tied them twice last season, or wondering if I had missed something in that regard.
Please keep your hurtful and negative comments about 13 year old girls to yourself!
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 02:53 PM
sbs: I'm sorry, I can't honor your request. I heard that Suzy said that Abagail had ugly hair, and Abagail said that Suzy wore clothes from Wal*Mart (as if!), and that Julie said that Suzy and Abagail were stuck-up.

Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 02:58 PM
I was not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I said I HEARD....IF ANY WAS TRUE. I did not say I was stating known fact. However, since some of you do appear to be on the inside and dispute all of what I said..here are some facts:
Last year the CESA 92 Girls Premier team rostered 17 players,7 of those are not rostered on the team this year. That is 41% of a state championship team not returning. That is a huge percentage of a team to leave and expect the same level of performance.Since this year they are only rostering 14,that leaves this team with 10 returning players an four new players. This means there are only three subs, which is not very many for a repeat championship run and the unknows(injuries) of a long season.
As for as the Knoxville tournament goes...that is excellent. Do you know if guest players were allowed and if so how many did CESA 92 take. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. The facts speak for themselves.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 03:24 PM
greenacres,
Thanks for the facts. My feathers were definitely ruffled. I have no problem with facts. Personally, I know very little facts about this team's history but you are correct that there are 14 players currently on the roster. They did win the tournament in Knoxville, with all 14 players present and participating, and no guest players.
Posted By: SoccerPOP9194 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 03:45 PM
7 of 17 not returning...that does seem high. Anyone know the reason?
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 04:06 PM
SoccerPop,
I can't verify that there are 7 non-returners, but I do know that at least one player from last year's CESA 92G's team stayed down to play u13 again, and (I'm not positive about this) but I believe one player enrolled at the IMG Academy in Florida and, thus, is no longer on the team.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 04:14 PM
[Preface: Sigh... I guess I'll take this a tiny bit more seriously. By the way, I do not have a relative or a child associated with this team. I've got no feelings to hurt in this.]

>>[greenacres] I was not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I said I HEARD....IF ANY WAS TRUE.<<

I heard that "greenacres" was a greyhound wanna-be chihuahua. See how rumors can hurt?

>>I did not say I was stating known fact. However, since some of you do appear to be on the inside and dispute all of what I said..here are some facts:<<

I didn't see anyone who disputed all of what you said. But be that as it may be...

>>Last year the CESA 92 Girls Premier team rostered 17 players,7 of those are not rostered on the team this year. That is 41% of a state championship team not returning. That is a huge percentage of a team to leave and expect the same level of performance.<<

If Jim Rinker expects the same level of performance, then I hope that CESA fires him. My understanding is that CESA expects better performance each year from its coaches. My guess is that Jim Rinker expects better performance each year from his teams. And therein lies the rub.

You're astounded by 7 players from last years team not being selected to play on this years team. You appear to be fishing for some nefarious reason (and I don't say this as an insult -- I fish on this message board a huge amount!] I took a literal 2-3 minute look at the roster; what I came up with are that of the 7 there are more than 28% new girls from Columbia, that there are more than 14% girls that decided to drop down and play their natural age, more than 14% of the girls were selected to challenge instead of premier. These aren't fictionalized numbers. I have not a clue as to the rest; I only follow this age group in passing -- but that resolves almost 60% of the mysterious 7. My guess on the other several is that some weren't chosen to play at the premier level, that there was a decision to get the team size down [see next paragraph], and/or that some of the girls decided they liked lacrosse better or something -- at this age, it's not exactly rare to have different interests one day versus the next, let alone one year versus the next.

>>Since this year they are only rostering 14,that leaves this team with 10 returning players an four new players. This means there are only three subs, which is not very many for a repeat championship run and the unknows(injuries) of a long season.<<

Take a look at the CESA bylaws (or is it rules and regulations -- I honestly forget). There's a target of no more than 16 players on a team. Now -- that's a target only -- and coaches can exceed it -- but it is there because the #1 problem at any youth soccer club in my experience are players not getting playing time.

There is a strategy at CESA for selecting fewer players on a team for fundamentally several reasons: (1) more playing time and thus less contention, (2) if injuries occur players are brought up from the challenge team, and (3) so that new players can be added.

>>As for as the Knoxville tournament goes...that is excellent. Do you know if guest players were allowed and if so how many did CESA 92 take.<<

I have not a clue; however, I believe that "sbs" has answered "no guest players." See the conversation on "facts" below -- it appears to me that you're searching for the validation of a theory here rather than "facts." But -- it's an absolutely valid question when there are facts that counter a theory.

>>Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.<<

You didn't hurt mine. I do think a lot of the talk about "team chemistry" and the such that I read on this message board is bogus. You select the best players to play on a team, period. You do not reward seniority, or whether your mother is a board member, or whatever. It's then the coach's job to get them to play together well. If the coach can't do that, then you need to find another coach. Period.

>>The facts speak for themselves.<<

Well...not really. That's the problem, isn't it? The facts appear to be that there was turnover larger than you expected on a team and that you'd expect this to hurt them, and while that may be true to date all evidence is to the contrary, right?
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 05:54 PM
92 Girls premier only lost one true, full time starter. She now lives at IMG Soccer Academy in Florida. Of the four new girls the 92's picked up three are starting and playing solid soccer.
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 06:03 PM
CESA 92G Premier lost the players for the following reasons:
1 girl went to IMG in Florida
2 started high school and went to High School Basket Ball
1 decided to run cross country
1 went to play for the 93 premier team
2 are now playing for the 92 CESA Challenge team which is looking very good.

All of the above were very committed players for the whole of last season. There was no discernable dissension on the team.

BRIDGE QUESTIONS ANSWERED
I can say for certain that Bridge FA 92 premier will not score a goal against the CESA team in the Challenge league this fall season. In last seasons games they had a small percentage of the ball, were generally outplayed but managed to get the goals. For example in Lexington they were losing 2-0 well into the second half, when a thunderstorm broke out lasted for 20 minutes and CESA restarted with 6 starting players on the bench. Bridge scored with a disputable penalty and then equalized. The CESA starters remained on the bench to give the other girls a decent time in the game. However Bridge have been a bogey team for CESA 92 .

The CESA 92G team this season looks even better as one or holes have been plugged. They are now ranked 24 nationally and 8 regionally. Not bad for a team in such disarray.
Posted By: SoccerPOP9194 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 06:09 PM
Quote:

the girls decided they liked lacrosse better or something -- at this age, it's not exactly rare to have different interests one day versus the next, let alone one year versus the next.

I hear that!

An off the subject question. When a player goes to IMG what league do they play in? do they fall under FL youth soccer or is it something all together different?
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 06:21 PM
SoccerPOP9194: IMG players are rostered FYSA (Florida Youth Soccer Assoc). and also US Club Soccer. Florida allows dual registration, SC doesn't.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 06:54 PM
In reply to 1977..I also have no doubt that Bridge 92 will not score a goal on CESA 92 this fall season. I would also go a step further and guarantee you CESA 92 will not score a goal on Bridge 92 or beat Bridge 92 this fall season. You see 1977, Bridge 92 is not playing a fall season...just tournaments. However, I do think Bridge 93 will give every team in the division a good match this fall.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 07:07 PM
I guarantee the Falcons will not score on the Panthers prior to Sunday.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 07:10 PM
Greenacres: Only Tournaments? No Fall league play? Could you please post a list of the tournaments the team will compete in. ie: Disney Showcase, WAGS, etc.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 07:13 PM
Big Daddy: You know what TommyBoy said about guarantees.
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 07:55 PM
All questions concerning 92 Bridge vs. 92 Cesa should be answered at the RBC tournament later this month.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 09:14 PM
Tommy West?
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 09:18 PM
"{All questions concerning 92 Bridge vs. 92 Cesa should be answered at the RBC tournament later this month. "

Jeez Louise.....talk about too much emphasis on a single game in September!!!!! And I thought the buildup with Bridge-CESA on '93 boys was wild.....
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/05/06 11:34 PM
bamr1: Do you have a prediction?
Big Daddy: No dude, the movie Tommyboy.
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 12:27 AM
CESA! CESA! CESA!

But I have to confess to a strong bias, Jim Rinker coaches my daughter's U-12 Premier Team.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 07:26 AM
>>[sweet feet] IMG players are rostered FYSA (Florida Youth Soccer Assoc). and also US Club Soccer. Florida allows dual registration, SC doesn't.<<

I could be wrong, but I believe that there are both players and teams that are dual registered with both the SCYSA and USCS. If I am wrong, could you please let me know -- the head of the USCS lives for USYS-affiliated organizations making these kinds of rules and getting them overturned at the USSF level.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 01:12 PM
What other teams in this division should be able to compete?
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 01:37 PM
Chico...you are correct, USCS and USYSA are two different orgs under the USSF. Thus a player, team, club can be registered in both at the same time.

Thus Bridge is able to win the national championships in USCS and compete in SCYSA and USYSA in the other championship series.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 05:57 PM
Chico: SC doesn't allow a player to be registered in SC and another state such as FL and play for both clubs. Other states such as FL allow a player to be registered in FL and NC at the same time, while playing for clubs in different states.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 07:09 PM
futbol: SC doesn't allow dual state registration. Just in state dual orgs.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 07:17 PM
sweet feet: I know I'm being dense...and thank you for helping me understand this...but here's my next question.

By "SC" I take it you mean the SCYSA. Now, the SCYSA, and for that matter its parent the USYSA, by USSF ruling, can't prevent a player or team from being registered with both the SCYSA and USCS.

How can the SCYSA prevent a player from being dual registered with any other USSF-affiliated organization? Is that written into the USYSA rules and regulations that its affiliates have the ability to prevent that (since I know that it's explicitly allowed by the parent USSF organization)?

I'm not trying to be tricky here -- I think you know something that is true and I'm just having trouble grasping it. Thanks for your time on this.
Posted By: SoccerPOP9194 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 07:39 PM
I can not find that in the FYSA bylaws...infact what I have found seems to state the opposite.

Quote:

203.4 Players must register in the state in which he or she resides with his or her parent(s) or
guardian(s), or in the case of a student in residence at a boarding school, college or university ,
the player may register in the state in which the boarding school, college, or division of the
college or university is located. Any other question of residency may be determined by the state
in which the player registered to vote or holds a current driver’s license.
203.5 Any Youth player wishing to play on a team of a member of a State Association other than the
State Association where the player is registered, must receive written permission from—
1. the State Association where the player is registered;
2. and. the other State Association of the team on which the player whishes to play
3. Permission must be obtained each seasonal year.

specifically on out of state players it seems that the must be released in writing by their state association

Quote:

203.9 FOREIGN AND OUT-OF-STATE PLAYERS:
All New Players twelve (12) years or older registering with FYSA for the 1st time must
comply with the following:
All players coming from another (current year transfer) Youth or Adult State Association or
foreign country must have clearance papers or a release signed by the official registration chairman
or secretary of the foreign association, out of state association, or inter-state release before they are
allowed to register with FYSA, in line with USSF policy 601.6. The FYSA rules listed below
reflect USSF policy as amended on 10/7/2001, and may be revised in the future. FYSA will follow
the current USSF policy.

everything I have found leads me to believe that US youth soccer requires a player to be released by one state in order to play (a full season) in another state

However, I could be interpreting it all wrong!
Posted By: SoccerPOP9194 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 07:50 PM
I have not seen where SCYSA even touches on the subject of dual registration with USSF organizations. The only thng I can find is on affiliated and unaffiliated play...

Quote:

b. UNAFFILIATED PLAY - Any matches, competitions, or events with organizations NOT affiliated
with SCYSA or US Youth Soccer shall be considered unaffiliated play. This does not apply to
international competitions, at home or abroad. SCYSA teams/players are allowed to participate in
unaffiliated play should they choose to do so. No permission is necessary nor any forms required.
SCYSA teams/players choosing to compete in unaffiliated play will NOT be representing SCYSA nor
carrying any SCYSA insurance coverage. See Rules of the South Carolina Youth Soccer Association
regarding restricted/unrestricted tournament insurance coverage.

It says plain as day that players and teams can participate if they choose to do so.

I could be wrong. But thats how I read it.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/06/06 09:19 PM
Chico:
SoccerPOP: I am certain that some states allow players to be registered in two states. ie, NC, CA,. SC doesn't allow this.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 12:53 AM
How are Lexington and Columbia United looking this year. I saw that they are 0-1 and 1-1. Do they have a shot at competing?
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 01:07 AM
greenacres: CESA has too much. CESA will average 5+ goals a game during the fall season. I would predict more but Rinker dosn't allow the team to run up the score. This team has players that have won three state championships U-11,U-12,U-13. playing togeather. I predict a 4th.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 09:46 AM
Did this team win the U-11 State Cup as St. Giles or Greenville? I didn't think there was a CESA in 2004.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 10:05 AM
greenacres: I would imagine whichever club it was it could be called "the club now known as CESA." Kind of like Prince in reverse!
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 11:21 AM
I wanted to know how many girls are on this years CESA 92 that were on the team that won U11 since sweet feet said they had been playing together through all these championship runs. We already established the maximum number is 10, of those 10 I was curious how many were on the U11 team St. Giles(I believe they won the cup in '04).
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 02:21 PM
Sweet Feet, if I understand you correctly and reading more into your email than you said - If the U14 Bridges Premier team manages to get through to the final of the RBC tournament and when they meet the CESA U14 girls Premier in that final, it is quite likely that they will get first hand experience of the Rinker Dope defensive which Greenacres has been doubting exists, or of course maybe not - as the occasion warrants.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 03:15 PM
greenacres: Four of the girls on the 92 premier that won 3 state champs have been playing togeather since the age of 8.
1977: All I know is that it would be a nice game to watch, bridge is solid.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/07/06 03:42 PM
sweet feet...thanks for the info.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/10/06 11:48 PM
It looks like it will be a u13 team coming in 2nd not a Columbia team. Just going by what is posted, score wise so far. I thought CESA 92 would have more goals against the Carolina team. Was anybody there?? Also does anybody know how the CESA 93 team did.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 12:11 AM
Hobo: Not so fast my friend, Carolina FC will give the U-13's all they can handle. Carolina FC looked much improved over last spring season. CFC has nice size and speed, and plays solid D. As far as CESA 92 girls Premier scoring more goals, give CFC some credit for a hard fought match.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 12:15 AM
I was not there, just looking at the score. I thought CESA might have scored more goals. It looks like CFC did do a good job of holding back the CESA girls. Did not mean to get U riled up..
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 12:38 AM
Hobo: Actually I pull for any and all CESA teams. My point was,CFC did a nice job today and a little credit was due. CESA 92 G Premier is loaded and every team can make a season with a win over the girls. Remember, teams love to knock off the champ.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 12:40 AM
I agree.
Posted By: Beezer Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 01:37 AM
At U11, the current U14G age group's champion was Mt. Pleasant (all of its top players are with Bridge FA)...beat GFC in quarterfinals and St. Giles in final.

The history between these teams (including the St. Giles/GFC and MPSC past) is very even including tournament, Cup and league matches while State Cup titles are 2-1 and they've played one another in every final.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 04:38 AM
Beezer: Some of the girls on the current U14 Girls Premier were playing up during the 03-04 year that Mt. Pleasant won the state cup. Those girls won the State Cup 02-03 U-11 St. Giles, U-12 04-05 CESA, U-13 05-06 CESA. In the 3 State Cups that the current girls have, they have not given up a single goal in the finals.
Posted By: Beezer Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 12:39 PM
If they were playing up, then up until last year Mt. Pleasant (now U15 Bridge FA) won those previous two State Cups as well (2004 and 2005).

With the current U14 and U15 women's teams, Bridge FA (formerly mostly Mt. Pleasant) teams are equal with CESA (formerly St. Giles and GFC). Of the six State Cups, between the two age groups the last three years, Cups are 3-3.

While CESA is the State's top club, this gender, at these age groups, is not a good comparison to mention dominance.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 01:50 PM
Beezer: When I look at data multi-year data, I tend to look for two things: "velocity" and "acceleration." Velocity refers to the the aggregate or average over the time period. Acceleration refers to the change in the trend over time.

For example, in a car, you might say a driver over a three hour period averages 60 miles per hour. However, a different picture emerges when the driver drives the first hour at 10MPH, the second hour at 60MPH, and the third hour at 110MPH.

Of course, none of this might be germane...just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration...
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 02:02 PM
Has anyone seen the Columbia United A team in this age group yet?
Posted By: Beezer Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 02:21 PM
Subjectivity or objectivity?

It's subjective to say CESA has been, and will be, dominant.

It's objective to raise the facts on head-to-head competition and its equality.

The answer isn't what one wants to hear so let's put a subjective spin on the data.

Come on, we're talking about 13-year old girls that are pretty darn even. One club's total reputation shouldn't downplay another club's ability to play with that club at a specific gender and age. Be careful and give credit when its due.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 02:36 PM
Beezer: Actually, I was simply observing the way I tend to look at multi-year (or multi-event) data. I have a tendency to use objective data, i.e., head-on-head competition, state challenge cup finalist/wins, tournament levels and finishes, goal differentials, and so on. I tend not to trust subjective data too much.

I also don't know what the data shows at this age group; it's far outside that that I typically pay much attention to. I don't coach in this age group, nor do I have any relatives that play in the age group.

You appear to have a deep and abiding interest in the gender and age group; I was simply pointing out that you might want to analyze the data not simply for a three year average but also look to see if any trends are apparent. There may or may not be.

Lastly, I'll try to explain using a real-life example of CESA and Bridge. If I take the last two years in the boys group, ages U15 through U18, I could say that CESA was dominant because they won five of eight state challenge cups with Bridge winning only two and NECSA winning one. However, if I look at "accleration" I see that CESA won four of their five in 2004 and in 2005 won only one; while Bridge won two in their first year of existence. Thus, I'd have to conclude objectively that Bridge is accelerating faster than CESA in that group of teams.

Now -- it may very well be that this is a statistical anomoly (e.g., Bridge got lucky, CESA had players with broken big toes, etc.) -- I'm sure these things can be endlessly debated -- but drilling down into data at more than an average level can at least allow one to examine trends to which otherwise one might be blind.

Again...not sure what the trends are in this gender/age...just a thought that springs to mind unbidden any time someone presents multi-year averages.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 03:11 PM
Hard to look at historical data and even recent trends when both teams have had players playing up. With players moving back down to true age, and additional players coming on board, we probably should just sit back and wait for this to get settled on the field.

Nice to see a lot of passion surrounding this age group. Maybe these teams will enjoy a nice rivalry over the next few years.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 04:10 PM
Beezer: How many State Cups have the Bridge Girls teams won? Not Mt. Pleasant
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 05:30 PM
None....This spring will be their first.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 05:32 PM
Will Cesa 93 Premier and Bridge 93 Gold stay in this division this spring or play U13 so they can mostlikely play for the state cup at their true age?
Posted By: Beezer Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 05:52 PM
The Bridge FA has only gone through one season, with one female team playing State Cup (U12 didn't have one), so it's a little for that comparison.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 07:52 PM
greenacres: Really? what age group.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 07:56 PM
Beezer: I think the Bridge 92G Premier, is a nice team with some talented girls. Hopefully, Bridge and CESA will play in the finals at RBC.Any prediction? Also what new impact players have the Bridge picked up?.
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 08:23 PM
Quote:

The history between these teams (including the St. Giles/GFC and MPSC past) is very even including tournament, Cup and league matches while State Cup titles are 2-1 and they've played one another in every final.

In the last two years, since the formation of CESA, in the games between the Mount Pleasant/Bridge 92G and the CESA 92G current premier teams, these two teams have met 11 times and the M. P/Bridge team have won one game. These games have taken place in the Fall and Spring league, the RBC tournament and the State Cup. CESA 92G have won the fall league two times the spring league two times, the State Cup two times and the RBC tournament two times. In other words they have won everything there is to win.

That's how "very even" its been

In the game Bridge won last fall the CESA dignity was saved because the CESA 93G premier team beat them in the following game on the same afternoon.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/11/06 08:45 PM
sweet feet....U14G

I heard today that the Lexington team at U14G is not as competative as in years past and the Columbia United team should be more competative than CSC and NECSA were. Remember the CSC team beat CESA 92 Premier last spring.
Posted By: Beezer Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 12:11 AM
You're changing the words and context. I never said CESA hasn't won the last two State Cups and/or the leagues and been successful as a whole.

I was talking about the total history of HEAD-TO-HEAD competition between these teams AND their prior clubs that led to BOTH of the new clubs.

If only the CESA years count, remember, Bridge FA did not exist for the first year so CESA vs. a pre-Bridge FA, Mt. Pleasant team is not a fair argument. If the scenario was reversed, a Bridge FA team would be VERY successful vs. St. Giles and GFC in a pre-CESA situation.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 04:32 PM
I think it will come down to who has the healthest girls. If both teams are 100% healthy the nod would have to go to CESA. Could end up in penalty kicks, but I dought it. Either way it should be a good game for both teams.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 04:43 PM
>>[1977] In the last two years, since the formation of CESA, in the games between the Mount Pleasant/Bridge 92G and the CESA 92G current premier teams, these two teams have met 11 times and the M. P/Bridge team have won one game.<<

[Beezer] I was talking about the total history of HEAD-TO-HEAD competition between these teams AND their prior clubs that led to BOTH of the new clubs.<<

Folks...I'm honestly confused. It seems as if "1977" is saying that the core MPSC and Bridge teams have played CESA teams in this age/gender and lost over 90% of the games. And it seems as if "Beezer" is saying that they've played about even -- or roughly 50% of the time either side has won.

Which is it?
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 05:08 PM
This is the facts- spring 2006- 1. CESA 92G 9-1-2
2. Bridge FA 92 7-1-4
3. CESA 93G 6-5-1
Fall 2005- 1. CESA 92G 6-1-0
2. CSC 5-2-0
3. Bridge 5-2-0
4. LCSC 4-3-0
Spring 2005- 1. CESA 92G 6-1-0
2. LCSC 4-1-2
3. MT Plst 3-0-4
4. CSC Burn 92G 3-1-3
Fall 2004- 1. CESA 92G 7-0-0
2. LCSC Burn 3-1-3
3. MPSC 4-3-0
4. Northside 3-2-2
Spring 2004- 1. SGU Xplosian 6-0-2
2. HHBSC 6-2-0
3. MPSC Heat 3-0-5
4. CSC Burn 2-2-4
5. GFC 92G 2-5-1
If I were a betting man, which I am not I would bet on the CESA Team.
http://www.hotstat.com/classic/team.cfm?tid=19481&content=1#record
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 06:36 PM
SGU, GFC, CSC & Northside......ahhh, the good old days.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 06:56 PM
Head to head competition?..Not overall records
I predict the game will be well worth seeing and the GIRLS will decide who is the better team on that day
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 08:22 PM
coldhardtruth: Girls, what girls? The game has already taken place on the message boards with CESA recording the shutout.
Posted By: sockick Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 08:52 PM
HOBO For a man who does not bet, you picked CESA twice in your postings.
Bridge FA and CESA are two very good teams. This game if CESA advances to the finals (RBC) will be a very good game.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 10:43 PM
sockick: Your right, CESA must advance out of their group to play Bridge in what should be an excellent game. Prediction? Also, who is the new talent on Bridge FA and what clubs are they from?
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/12/06 11:59 PM
HOBO For a man who does not bet, you picked CESA twice in your postings.

Yea, but I did not bet. I predicted!!!! I have made a call in to Pearse and he is going to charge $10.00 a person to get into the game, with all the interest now. The game will now be held at Riggs Field in Clemson. He is trying to get ESPN to put it on the teli.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 12:13 AM
I believe all the girls are homegrown from the Charleston area..I only see three or four new faces
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 12:26 AM
All kidding aside I think soccer is a great sport for girls and all the girls I have met through soccer, all over the state, have been great kids.
Posted By: sockick Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 01:31 AM
The new girls are from Charleston, Summerville and Mt Pleasant. I beleive one just moved to the Charleston area.

I also think that soccer is a great sport for girls. I also think it is great that the competition at this age is so strong.

CESA has set a great example for South Carolina and what the Bridge is doing is great for the lowcountry. Columbia is moving in that directions. It allows the more committed and competitive girls and boys an opportunity to play at a higher level. Yet, still allows the ones who want to play classic or just rec to play. The important thing is that we keep the children busy and active.
They give us something to look forward to on the weekends. Before we know it they will be off to college.

Hope to be able to see the games in RBC...
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 03:33 PM

Folks...I'm honestly confused. It seems as if "1977" is saying that the core MPSC and Bridge teams have played CESA teams in this age/gender and lost over 90% of the games. And it seems as if "Beezer" is saying that they've played about even -- or roughly 50% of the time either side has won.

Which is it?

Maybe I should leave this topic alone as both the teams have great girls and great parents, and the possible head to head confrontation in the RBC tournament is getting close. All the previous games have been played without any acrimonious events and I am sure this will continue. Some of the girls play on the same teams in ODP and are team mates and friends.

However, I interpret what Beezer is espousing, is that if the situation was reversed and Bridge had been formed two years ago and CESA one year ago the overall score in games played would be more in favor of Bridge 92G Premier than the 1 win in 11 games played in that period. Beezer is certainly entitled to that opinion. However in fairness to all concerned and to help them draw their own conclusions I feel that I have to point out that in the one game which CESA 92 G Premier lost to Bridge, the fouls were drawn and the resulting goals from the free kicks were scored for Bridge by a former starter with the St Giles Wizzmo's/CESA player whose parents had just transferred to Charleston a few weeks before. Did you Beezer take this in account when you came up with your reversal of the actual events?
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 08:40 PM
I guess that this analogy means that Columbia United U14 Elite should certanly beat CESA 92 by a score of more than 2-1. CSC beat CESA 92 Premier 2-1 in the spring and has certanly taken the best girls from that team and added the best girls from NECSA. So if you go by analogies..........
Posted By: Coach P Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 11:07 PM
Quote:

CSC beat CESA 92 Premier 2-1 in the spring...

The score was actually 1-0 in favor of CSC 92 Navy. CESA 92 Premier was missing their very good central midfielder that day.

CESA won the return match in Greenville, 4-1, and CSC was missing 3 starters.

Note: one of the starting central midfielders from that CSC 92 Navy team is now playing for CESA 92 Premier.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 11:26 PM
What conclusion should I draw from all this?
I guess anybody can be beat on any given day?
We could of saved ourselves nine pages of banter
Posted By: Coach P Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 11:33 PM
Quote:

What conclusion should I draw from all this?
I guess anybody can be beat on any given day?
We could of saved ourselves nine pages of banter

I think you just defined a soccer message board.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/13/06 11:47 PM
couldhardtruth: Not really. CESA 92 Girls Premier have not lost a soccer game since March 4, 06 against CSC. That includes League play, Tournaments, and State cup. Pretty darn impressive considering the tournaments and quality of CSC, and the Bridge.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/14/06 12:00 AM
Spring stats: CESA: GF:44 GA:8 GD:+36
Posted By: Coach P Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/14/06 12:02 AM
sweet feet: CESA 92 Girls Premier are a very good soccer team! It will be very difficult for anyone in this league to defeat them. However, I do believe it is possible. On a given day.... That's why we play the game.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/14/06 12:12 AM
Coach P: I agree totally with you.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/14/06 02:40 AM
OK, I just talked to CESA again and the price of admission is now $20.00 and we have moved the game from Riggs Field to Death Valley.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/16/06 11:06 AM
There are some good games in this division today.

Sat, September 16, 2006
1625 11:00 am CESA 93 Girls Premier vs Bridge FA 93 Girls Gold Caughman Road Park Caughman #2
1627 12:00 pm CUSC 92 Girls Black vs CESA 92 Girls Premier River Bluff Baptist Church #1
1623 3:00 pm CESA 93 Girls Premier vs CUSC 92 Girls Black Columbia United FC West (CSC) BB&T 6
1629 3:30 pm Bridge FA 93 Girls Gold vs CESA 92 Girls Premier River Bluff Baptist Church #1
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/16/06 10:43 PM
Any scores posted yet? anyone see any of the games, any coments?
Posted By: Coach P Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/17/06 12:17 AM
CESA 93 Girls Premier 4:0 Bridge FA 93 Girls Gold
CESA 93 Girls Premier 4:0 CUSC 92 Girls Black
Bridge FA 93 Girls Gold 1:3 CESA 92 Girls Premier
CUSC 92 Girls Black 0:2 CESA 92 Girls Premier
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/17/06 12:35 AM
Thanks Coach P. After CESA 93 Girls P jumped out early against Bridge, it looked like Bridge was a little unnerved. Looks like CESA 92 Girls P are still working on some personnel decisions. 2 excellent wins for CESA 93's, 2 wins for 92's. Next tour stop RBC.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/19/06 11:07 AM
Congratulations to Bridge 92 Gold and Columbia United FC U14 Girls Elite for being accepted to the CASL tournament.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/19/06 10:51 PM
Congratulations are also in order for CESA 92 Girls Premier for being accepted into the Disney Soccer Showcase. The top ranked soccer tournament in the country. Good luck to all the teams.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/23/06 06:06 PM
I thought CASL or WAGS was the top ranked tourney on the east coast?
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/24/06 02:25 AM
Disney Showcase is #1; Girls Points and Boys Points
WAGS is #9; Girls Points
CASL Raleigh Showcase is not in top 10

* Source: GotSoccer.com.
** Disney Showcase is not the same as Disney Qualifier.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/25/06 12:55 AM
Congratulations to the Bridge 92 Gold for their win at the RBC tournament
Posted By: SoccerDOC Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/25/06 10:25 AM
Congratulations to CUSC 92 Black for 4 shutouts to win at RBC tournament
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 12:36 AM
I guess the RBC Tournament ended the CESA v. Bridge debate in this age group for now.
Posted By: soccerdude Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 03:01 PM
Greenacres,
Did you see the game?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 03:50 PM
I saw the game for a half and saw the other half from a distance...watching two games at once from the hill..Bridge scored first and was pushing the ball up quite well from the start and the momentum changed and CESA got a nice goal which evened things up at half...Second half was not a pretty game..It seemed as if the teams were tiring quite a bit..CESA looked more organized the second half but could not find the back of the net.The two ten minute overtime periods looked hard fought but no one could put it away.
The penalty kicks were decided on the sixth player.
The game could of went either way..Both teams had their chances to win.I have to say that I was most impressed with the fair play between these two teams.I think there is a great deal of respect from everyone involved..Players,Coaches and Parents.
Given the talent that was in this age group...It was nice to see two South Carolina teams play for the championship.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 04:28 PM
It is going to be an interesting state cup, from what I saw last weekend in Greenville. There is absolute respect amongst the teams.
Posted By: soccerdude Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 04:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback cold hard. Not exactly as I had heard that the game went. Greenacres or anyone else who saw, your perspectives?
Posted By: Comet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 04:40 PM
soccerislife, it's refreshing for people to notice respect amongst the teams. Hopefully that mutual respect will continue to perpetuate between the clubs and even cross gender lines.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 04:44 PM
CESA is not as dominating as previously mentioned. It's going to be nice to see them play again. They are clearly the two top teams in that age group.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 05:10 PM
soccerdude:
I know very little about soccer and have a cesa bias, but I saw the game and it seemed to me that cesa had most of the possession and several near misses, a few that hit the side posts and cross bar. I can't recall if bridge had many chances or any near misses, but I don't think so. (I could be wrong, though, because I do have a tendency to just focus on what the team I'm there to watch is doing.)In my opinion, it looked to me like the cesa team had more threats offensively, but the 2 teams are even enough that future meetings could go either way, depending who is or is not playing at their best, or finishing their chances.

As an aside, I was impressed by the sportsmanship shown by both teams and particularly impressed with the excellent sportsmanship of #11 from the Bridge team. After a tremendous display of skill and speed by one of the extremely talented Cesa players (dribbling almost all the way down the field and through the defense to score Cesa's only goal), #11 for Bridge congratulated the Cesa player on the ensuing kickoff and even gave her a "high 5." They obviously must have known each other from odp or other meetings, but I thought that was remarkable.

I do agree that there does seem to be a level of respect for each other from both teams. I suspect this will be a strong and healthy rivalry for years to come.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 06:04 PM
My heart be still.....did I just read what I thought I read?

Purple & Yellow,......futbol......there is still hope!

A U-14G actually took the initiative to keep the ball and use her skill (and speed) to dribble past the defense to score a goal in a quality match!

Maybe this will become contagious?!?!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 06:24 PM
It was a very nice goal...The player dribbled from the right side of the field moving to the left and when she got to around the eighteen her teammates shifted to the right pulling the defense to the right expecting a pass and the left side opened up and she nailed it..Great individual effort through the midfield and smart playmaking from her teammates in the box..
CESA did have more chances to score but there something to be said for defense..Both teams came out of their brackets with two wins and a tie.I am looking forward to the next meeting and the years of soccer that these young women get to play
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 06:27 PM
Hurst 66:

That's funny! If you ever get the chance, you should watch the cesa u14g premier play. There are about 5 or 6 of them that can dribble and get shots off from all over the place, and seem to LOVE doing it! The future looks bright for girls' soccer.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 06:58 PM
>>[Hurst66] Purple & Yellow,......futbol......there is still hope!<<

I decided it was time for me to "put up or shut up"...so, in no particular order...off the top of my head without any research (which means I'm going to miss a lot!)...

• Annie Galloway
  • Alex Mouton
  • Stacy Simpson
  • Lindsey Beam
  • Jacqueline Hines
  • Elizabeth Metherell
  • Julie Bolt
  • Danielle Jordan
  • Kelly Schneider
  • Kelly McGinty
  • Megan Whetzel
  • Shannon Bigbie
  • Nicole Coia
  • Abi Nicholas

...and it feels like I've left off a ton of wonderfully creative offensive players from SC who have played in the last few years...and I haven't even included the high school players but those who played offense at the highest level of competition in youth soccer...

I purposely didn't include any player currently playing U18G or under...but there are a ton there as well.

Not only does the future look bright...the past doesn't look too bad either...
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 07:11 PM
Chico,

All of the girls you mention above are talented. Some of them have been able to rely on their speed, more than their foot skills to find success in the attacking third.

One player who you failed to mention, currently playing for Clemson, is Danielle Schmitt. Danielle scored over 100 goals in her high school career, and has never been accused of being "a burner". She's very good on the ball.

Another player very good with the ball is Jen Ficklen, another Lady Tiger. Despite scoring many goals in her high school and club career, Jen's strength on the ball and vision is what sets her apart from the crowd. Much like USC's Blakely Mattern.
Posted By: live and learn Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 07:12 PM
Chico,

Good point. I wasn't trying to say that present and past players weren't bright. I'm just very impressed with the large number of wonderfully creative offensive players all on one team in only u14g. And I know of quite a few on the u13g, as well. So I guess I should say the future looks like it will continue to be bright :-) !
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 07:33 PM
greenacres: RBC finals was a well played game by both teams,
somehow I feel that the CESA team will look a little different the weekend of state cup.
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 08:15 PM
Watched the Game. It was great. What was the injury/illness report. I heard on the sidelines that CESA had a couple key players out. Also of note the player that scored the goal for CESA I beleve was quite ill that day, which makes her performance even that more remarkable. Can someone with more knowledge give specifics.

I also noted the mutual respect between these two teams. Both teams represented their clubs very well. i hope I am able to watch their next match-up.
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 08:37 PM
This was the original post in this thread:

The only question to be settled in this league is who will be the runners up to the CESA 92 Premier team

Yet we have heard nothing from 1977.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 08:48 PM
bamr1:
Injuries, and sicknesses are all part of the game, all a team can do is play with the players that are available to play during any given match. That is why a team must have a solid bench to help out when a team has starters who are nicked and dinged.

1977?
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/26/06 10:36 PM
>>Some of them have been able to rely on their speed, more than their foot skills to find success in the attacking third.<<

In RIIIPL-East, what you'll find is that the central and outside defenders are typically as fast as the "burners." It is certainly the case that against weak competition [e.g., high school, classic, and in some cases challenge league] that speed [or a big leg, or particularly weak teams, etc.] can overcome ball skills and the like. That's why I included only names who had success in RIIIPL-East and major tournaments. I'm not sure who on the list doesn't have the ball skills you want. Jacqueline Hines is probably the fastest on that list -- and her ball skills were impressive. Same goes for speedsters like Bolt, Jordan, etc. Heck -- as fast as Bolt is -- her ball skills were more impressive in the last college game in which I saw her play.
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/27/06 12:29 AM
sweet feet:

Completely agree, I was just wondering like your prior post what changes we might see down the road for both teams on their next meeting. Were both teams at full strength. Also will these teams play again prior to State Cup.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/27/06 01:15 AM
The teams will meet again sometime in the spring during league play...Cannot speak for CESA but the starting left defender for Bridge took a good shot to the knee while playing up top during the second game..She scored a goal but not without paying a price.She played a limited role in the third game and started the championship game but was removed shortly after the start with an obvious limp and Annie was forced back into her old position..Next season should be a real challenge for both teams
Posted By: soccerdude Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/27/06 01:24 AM
I don't think they will meet in the fall again as I had heard that Bridge decided not to play in the state fall league. So it's a shame that it will not be until Premier League in the Spring. It will be interesting how both teams will do as the East sub region is loaded with top regional teams???
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/27/06 03:09 AM
bamr1: After watching the Cesa girls for two years under the leadership of coach Rinker one thing has been constant. Coach Rinker has no problem playing the subs for extended periods of time. By playing the subs in state games, and tournaments they get the experience needed to elevate to the next level. Also coach likes to give players a chance to play several positions during the season. Come state cup time, the same players have seen little if any playing time. In my opinion, CESA works hard to develope players, but come state cup, one might see a totally different lineup.
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/27/06 10:58 AM
Hello Greenacres,

After 3376 views to this point and 122 posts with this one, I guess you and I are in solid agreement with the answer to my original question. There is no doubt that with this win Bridge have to be considered strong challengers for the runners up spot to CESA 92 Girls Premier.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/28/06 03:35 AM
I believe there were players that could play, but considering it is FALL. The team and players chose not to play. I was very impressed with both teams though and cudo's to the good sportsmanship shown by both teams and coaches.

And, Yes together we can make this game beautiful again.
Posted By: Hobo Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/28/06 03:37 AM
Is Bridge going to Disney????? Does anybody know.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/28/06 12:23 PM
Christmas Tournament Acceptances
Posted By: soccerdude Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/28/06 02:03 PM
I had heard that Bridge was at full strength with 17 players (6 subs)along with the one injury mentioned by coldhard and CESA had 12 players (1 sub) with two ODP starters our due to injuries. You have to play with what you have for sure. It will be interesting how both teams hold up in the spring when they play Premier League which will be much more physical and taxing.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 09/28/06 06:45 PM
Soccerdude: Soccer is a team sport, as long as you have enought players to start a game their shouldn't be any excuses win lose or draw. Regardless of injuries, a sub on a premier team should be able to step in and battle with little or any drop off. As far as injuries go, if players are getting nicked up this early in the season I am very concerened about Spring Premier league where you correctly stated the physical nature of play.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/15/06 11:41 AM
Is it true that the CUFC elite beat CESA 92 yesterday?
I saw a 1-0 score in their division..Can anyone give an objective view of the game?
Posted By: greenacres Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/15/06 02:44 PM
I heard this score yesterday, so I called a friend with a daughter on the CESA team and he confirmed that it is correct. I didn't get much detail, he was pretty upset. He just said CUFC was the better team yesterday and his team was never really in the game.
Posted By: 1993 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/15/06 11:13 PM
I was watching my daughter playing when this game was going on and it seemed to me that CESA has a lot of week players, the only strong players are the starters. CUFC scored early and kept the lead with no problem.
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/16/06 07:04 PM
Quote:

I was watching my daughter playing when this game was going on and it seemed to me that CESA has a lot of "week" players, the only strong players are the starters. CUFC scored early and kept the lead with no problem.

I guess the problem was CESA were playing a "weak" end game.
Posted By: 1977 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/16/06 07:10 PM
Original Post
Quote:

The only question to be settled in this league is who will be the runners up to the CESA 92 Premier team?

Now I'm really confused will it be Bridge 92 or CUFC 92........who are the runners up?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/16/06 08:04 PM
From the looks of things it could be CESA 92 Premier
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/16/06 08:36 PM
Couldn't the runner up be CESA 93 Premier? Their U-13 team looks to be holding their own.
Posted By: soccerdude Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/18/06 03:43 AM
In looking at the SCYSA website, the game was apparently between the CESA 92 Challenge and CUSC
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 01:46 AM
Congradulations Andrew, very nice win.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 04:11 PM
What do you all make of this age group? Two of the top four teams are true U-13 teams. It goes to show that this is not a game based on previous history or one that is played on paper. The team that comes to play on that day is the one that usually comes out on top. CESA 93 premier has done a great job this season. They have beaten the Bridge 93 Gold and all the other U -14's. The CESA 93 premier is clearly the standard for the U-13 age group in SCYSA.
The Bridge 93 Gold has beaten Columbia United 92 Elite 2-0; the same team that started the losing streak for the CESA 92 Premier. The only loses of the season for the Bridge 93 Gold was against the CESA 92 and 93 premiers.
The age group is wide open with Columbia Elite improving steadily and with the Bridge 92 Gold coming back for the state cup in the spring.

For the continued development of the U-13 teams playing in the U-14 league, should the state allow these teams to continue to play in the U-14 league for the spring and be allowed to declare for U-13 age group for the state cup?
Posted By: azzuri Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 04:29 PM
No, they should not. There should be 6-7 U13 challenge teams playing in the spring, and these teams should get the opportunity to play the competition. As has been stated many times on this board, on any given day any anything could happen. I concede the CESA U13 team is the best in the state (in my opinion). Are they beatable? yes. Should the other U13 teams get to play them and compete? If they want to play for the State cup, then yes, they should have to play in their own age group.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 04:36 PM
U-13's should have to play within their age group in the spring in order to qualify for state cup. If these "beasts" feel that they need more competitive matches than the few that they will get in U-13 Challenge....pick up the phone and call a team from Atlanta or Charlotte.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 04:46 PM
Conversely, if any of these other U13G teams want to play these teams playing up in the U14G league, then perhaps they should just get on the telephone and ask for a scrimmage.

Or perhaps we should just break the legs of each of the girls on teams that dare to play up so that other SC teams have a better chance of competing.

Sometimes, it seems to me that the "South Carolina way" is to attempt to increase competition by forcing all South Carolina teams to a lower standard rather than trying to figure out how to raise more teams to a higher standard.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 04:58 PM
CESA 93 and the Bridge 93 can play with and beat any U-13 team in Charlotte or Atlanta. Should Atlanta and Charlotte be the standard for South Carolina? That’s the problem we are having in South Carolina, our ambitions are limited to what we are exposed to! These two team are accepted to play in some of the best tournaments in the country, namely the Jefferson Cup etc. This is the only country that age prevents you from playing where you should be competing based on skill and ability.
Why penalize a group of girls for being talented and well coached? Rigid rules for an ever changing sports world.

P.S
We are referring to kids; “beast” is not a word to describe young kids. I know it is a phase you're using also, but it is unacceptable to describe talented female players
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 05:13 PM
As the father of four daughter's, I apologize (geez....I should know better).

Those U-13's are 7th graders, right? let them all play for their HS varsity teams, too....it's a tragedy that we "hold them back" in the spring.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 05:40 PM
If a player has the physical capabilities why not let them play? Everything has to be done in reason to prevent injury, etc. Yes a 7th grader with the skill, and physical abilities should be play varsity soccer if they want to and can make the team.
It’s up to the coaches of both teams to work out what’s best for the players involved. Working together can be a great concept
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 05:45 PM
It's up to the coaches of "both" teams to work out what's best for the player involved? I think the high school coach is charged with looking out for what is best for his or her team...not necessarily the player.

If the state allowed a 7th grade girl to play varsity high school soccer....are you saying that the HS coach has to check with the club coach if the girl comes out for the team? Clear it with the club coach first?
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 05:53 PM
If it is allowed that a 7th grade player can play varsity, both coaches should work together, becuase there would be conflicts on both sides.
Each team is comprised of individual players, a good coach should look out for what is best for each player, as a result you build better teams. The goal is to develop and expose the players.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 05:57 PM
Thanks to CESA and Bridge FA for creating the right environment where kids can develop and grow in the game of soccer.

State Cup would be great.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 06:04 PM
If you're not playing for CESA or Bridge......you're NOT playing soccer!
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 06:05 PM
7th grader are already allowed to play varsity in SCISA. They are not in SCSHL due to liability (I believe) as the sport has been determined to be a contact sport.

And I disagree. I think they should play club until a freshman in HS. I have said this before so no sense in repeating all the rationale behind it.

Hurst is right in the can of worms you will open up...
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 06:08 PM
Quote:

"CESA 93 and the Bridge 93 can play with and beat any U-13 team in Charlotte or Atlanta."

We'll find out soon enough. Looking at Disney Jr Showcase the opening game is '93 CESA Premier girls versus '93 Charlotte SC Blue.

CSC Blue is an awesome team........and I may get my butt up early to go watch that one.

My U13 son (at CESA, formerly at CSC) told me that there is 1 girl on CSC that CESA can't touch.....but that overall he thinks the CESA girls are better.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 06:28 PM
In the last couple years CESA and Bridge FA has become the two leading clubs in South Carolina when coming to challenge level soccer. There is no disputing that fact.

I will still stand by my point that if a player is talented, and has the physical attributes to compete, they should play.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 06:40 PM
soccerislife,

I have said many times on this board that CESA does a great job. Chico has pointed out consistently that Bridge FA is also on the right path. CESA is the paradigm, no question about it.

I do take exception to you promoting your daughter's team to the point where you are demeaning all other clubs. It comes off as "how dare they make us play with the minions in the U-13 league, they can't even give us a game!"

While this may be true, it doesn't need to be overtly stated. We are talking about 12-year old girls. There are people on these boards who have daughters playing major D1 college soccer, high school all-americans, and regional ODP players.....yet they manage a little humility as to not appear to put others down. I ask that you try to do the same.

Maybe your team is better than any team in North Carolina or Georgia.....more power to you. I wish that all the clubs in South Carolina could show well against the southeast region.

We'll see......good luck.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 07:11 PM
I'm not trying to promote any team or club, nor trying to demean other clubs. Sorry if I came across that way. Sometimes facts are hard to face.

If you look at the U-13 classic league there are teams that have scored 77, 39, 32 goals etc. It would not be right for this to happen in any league. This could potentially happen in the U-13 challenge league if those two teams play in the U-13 in the spring. The coaches might try to restrict scoring however. I'm just saying that the players from those two teams need to be continued to be challenge. The U-13 league might not provide that opportunity in the spring.
But if they want to play in the region league they must win their age group.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 07:30 PM
When spring season rolls around these teams will play in their age bracket finish one and two and play premier.I do not believe the clubs want their 13s playing their 14s for a state championship..They want to win every age group
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 07:35 PM
I understand and sympathize with the position you are in. If your coach wants to get some competitive games over the winter, or next spring, PM me. Maybe I could help you set up some competitive friendlies against some teams from Charlotte. For the right price, Manchester Meadows would be happy to host a few games......and it's a real nice place to play.

One of the advantages of South Carolina is that in the fall, you can jump around and play in whatever division you want. I have a U-15 daughter whose team has been "trapped" in NC's second division for the past two years due to injuries and bad luck.
Posted By: azzuri Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 07:52 PM
Good to see a reaonable person trying to address a legitimate question. Not sure if Chico skipped his medication, but suggesting Lexington, CFC, Aiken or Congaree might just be able to play with the CESA premiere or bridge teams leads to a ridiculous rant about breaking 12 year old girls legs. Man you have problems! All I was saying (and others) was keeping teams that are elite in their age group challenges every other team (which are not far behind). Are you really concerned about SC soccer or just two teams? As an argument this was being sold early in the season that no one could beat the CESA U14 girls...Yea they are just that much better...I dont think so, and now we know so. Cesa and Bridge may dominate at the U 13 level, but suggesting they won't is not holding them back.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 07:54 PM
Yeah....besides CSC, South Charlotte and N Meck all have excellent '93 girls teams. I have no doubt it could be arranged.

Hurst, can NC teams cross over to Manchester without paperwork for friendlies? If they are US Club soccer teams?

Would be fun to bring the '93 boys up for a pre-season weekend in Jan. We could do a CESA, CSC, SCSA, N Meck
four-way mini tourney.....girls side and boys side.
Posted By: Comet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 08:15 PM
Rather than try to get the SCYSA to allow teams to play up but declare normal age before the state cup, why not simply request to play both U13 and U14, qualifying results being the U13 games, then play at age during the state cup. Might be an easier sell. The U13 age group remains in tact, and those teams seeking higher level play would therefore get the increased competition in the state. Might want to add that you'd be willing to pay 2 entry fees.

Sometimes it's better to look at the good of the whole rather than your own affiliation. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Often times when you look for a win-win solution, you're able to produce one that works.

Futbol, I believe the logic behind the SCISA allowing younger players to play Varsity has more to do with numbers than anything else. Many of these schools have entire high schools with less than most HS senior classes. I graduated from a 2A school with about 210 seniors. Most SCISA highschools have less than that. The SCISA rule further puts a stipulation on physical maturity, with that decision resting at the school level. I've seen some of these SCISA middle schoolers play, and physically, they were able to play in the group. Is it fair? Maybe not, but that's an entirely different discussion. Does it help the players? I would say it does, as many have noted, training and playing with better players, produces better players.

Daddy, the answer is yes if they are US Club Soccer. US Youth Soccer doesn't prevent it, only requires paperwork.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 08:27 PM
How many of you have ever tried setting up friendlies with other clubs outside SC? [censored] near impossible.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 08:39 PM
Comet...and what is your Kobiyashi Maru solution??? We know Spock's....
Posted By: Comet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 10:09 PM
Kobayashi Maru solution??? By definition one doesn't exist. However, it's also supposedly a developed simulation, therefore, it would reason that someone knows a solution. After all, how could there not be a solution, unless someone exhausted all potential answers and therefore developed the appropriate counter to such.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/19/06 11:56 PM
Its not at all hard to setup friendlies out of SC, particularly with Charlotte teams. Charlotte folks are known to be crazed and obsessed.

Kobyashi Maru? Jeez Louise.......anyone see "Benchwarmers"? Little midget guy that comes on at the end.....for folks that like Napolean Dynamite its a really good movie. Stupid funny....
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/20/06 12:56 AM
CESA 93 beat CESA 92 last night 1-0...Any information on the game?
Posted By: sweet feet Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/20/06 01:36 AM
Big Daddy: Its been darn near impossible to set up friendlies with any NC elite girls teams over the last two years. CASL elites younger teams stay close to home.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/20/06 01:53 AM
>>[Hurst66] I have said many times on this board that CESA does a great job. Chico has pointed out consistently that Bridge FA is also on the right path. CESA is the paradigm, no question about it.<<

Two small observations. I think that Bridge FA is beyond the right path and can be easily stated as "doing a great job." The club won several state championships in its first year. Perhaps more impressively, they are one of the top clubs in the state in terms of overall winning percentage in challenge while also fielding teams competing in RIIIPL-East.

And while CUFC seems to have a bit of a problem in terms of winning percentage in its teams competing in SC challenge, I honestly believe that there's absolutely no reason that this club can't have the same type of success as Bridge or CESA. They certainly have the talent, both in terms of coaching and players, to reach this level of success.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Under 14 Girls Challenge - 10/20/06 01:53 AM
>>[azzuri] Good to see a reaonable person trying to address a legitimate question. Not sure if Chico skipped his medication, but suggesting Lexington, CFC, Aiken or Congaree might just be able to play with the CESA premiere or bridge teams leads to a ridiculous rant about breaking 12 year old girls legs. Man you have problems! <<

Sigh... Let's go back to basics. The concept of "breaking their legs" is a metaphorical "ridiculous rant" based on typical dystopian literature best exemplified by Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron. The opening line is pretty famous: "The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal." The concept was that equality was achieved through bringing everyone down to the lowest common denominator.

To apply this comment to this dialogue -- the idea that we should "force" teams to play in less capable age brackets for the benefits of other, less qualified teams, seems to be a bit akin to the dystopia that Vonnegut was warning us about. In essence, there are two ways we can make South Carolina youth soccer more competitive -- by making the average team better or by making the best teams worse. I don't want to go into my typical "SCYSA rant" concerning their decision last year -- but basically, my core problem with the geographic solution was that the SCYSA chose to invent a set of rules to handicap competitive South Carolina soccer rather than trying to solve the issues it faced by increasing the quality of South Carolina soccer. But enough of that...

And while there is no doubt that I "have problems" (as do most of us), one problem I don't have is being able to read what is written on this message board occasionally in a non-literal sense. However, I do apologize for confusing you into thinking that I was actually advocating the literal breaking of anyone's legs. But then again, perhaps this entire conversation is yet another "equality" problem that we need to solve. I'll be checking in for my lobotomy later tonight. [Note: Once again, this is not a comment that should be taken literally.]

>>All I was saying (and others) was keeping teams that are elite in their age group challenges every other team (which are not far behind).<<

I actually understood what you were saying. I just find it to be a reprehensible philosophy to cripple the best among us in the name of achieving the common good, whether it's done at an individual or a team level.

>>Are you really concerned about SC soccer or just two teams?<<

Here's what might be fascinating to you -- I'm really concerned not just about SC soccer but about SC in general. No matter how much some of us might want to ignore it, there is life outside the borders of SC. Our children -- heck, we ourselves -- are living in an increasingly global world -- and trying to meet an increasingly challenging environment through the "dumbing down" of our best and brightest -- whether that be on the pitch, in the schools, or wherever -- does not seem to me to be an incredibly viable theory.

>>As an argument this was being sold early in the season that no one could beat the CESA U14 girls...Yea they are just that much better...I dont think so, and now we know so. Cesa and Bridge may dominate at the U 13 level, but suggesting they won't is not holding them back.<<

Okay...I'll admit that I'm not bright enough to completely parse the semantics of this particular section. I don't follow this age group at a level to understand the wins and losses of CESA or any other team, which I'm guessing I'd have to in order to grasp your point here.
© SC Soccer