SC Soccer
Posted By: Lowcountry Soccer US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 05:50 AM
Bridge FA U16 Academy defeated CASL U16 Academy 2-1 in Raleigh, NC January 6th. This game was the return leg that saw CASL defeat Bridge FA 4-1 December 2nd in Charleston, SC.

The same CASL U16 Academy team won the Showcase group at Disney over Christmas defeating Chelsea FC in the final.
Link to CASL over Chelsea:
http://www.caslnc.com/home/default.asp

Congratulations to the Bridge organization and the U16 Academy team.
Posted By: The Hammer Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 11:41 AM
who's on this team? what hs are they from?
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 01:23 PM
not trying to take anything away from casl or bridge but the chelsea team played with a 12 year old and 2-13 year old and 2-14 year olds cause most the team couldnt get visas for the trip. anyway casl is hyping this up for all its worth.
Posted By: Lowcountry Soccer Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 01:57 PM
FYI. Here is a look at the field of teams in the U16 Showcase bracket:
Bracket A
CHELSEA FOOTBALL ACADEMY (United Kingdom)
NY HOTA ACADEMY 91 (New York East)
CONCORDE FIRE ELITE (Georgia)
SOCKERS FC CHICAGO (Illinois)
Bracket B
MICHIGAN WOLVES 92 (Michigan)
CASL 91 ELITE (North Carolina)
POTOMAC SA INTERNATIONALS (Maryland)
KENDALL SOCCER COALITION WHITE (Florida)
Bracket C
SERENO 92 WHITE (Arizona)
SOLAR 92 (Texas North)
VARDAR ACADEMY (Michigan)
CLEARWATER CHARGERS (Florida)
Bracket D
LONESTARS 92 RED (Texas South)
FC DELCO 91 ACADEMY (Pennsylvania East)
WELLINGTON WAVE PREMIER (Florida)
LAFC (California South)

To take this Showcase is an achievement by any standards.
Posted By: justwanttoplay Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 03:34 PM
kcfutbol - can you tell me who scored and who had the assist for Bridge in both games? Also heard one of the Brdige players was injured? Who and what happened?
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 04:38 PM
It would be interesting to know the percentage of each team's roster that is U-16 v. U-17. I'm guessing that Bridge has a much higher percentage of 17's. I expect that CASL is composed almost exclusively of its preexisting U-16 team (considering the fact the its U-17 team still plays R3PL.)

My only point is that it is meaningless to make reference to CASL U-16's being the team that beat Chelsea and won the Disney Showcase when discussing an Academy game against a team that is, I believe, primarily U-17.
Posted By: justwanttoplay Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 05:02 PM
"My only point is that it is meaningless to make reference to CASL U-16's being the team that beat Chelsea and won the Disney Showcase when discussing an Academy game against a team that is, I believe, primarily U-17".

I thought that the Academy teams for USSF were made up of 1991's. If this is correct then the CASL team must be in the same birthyear which would mean their team also has 17's. Is there anywhere on the USSF website where you can find rosters to compare ages?
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/08/08 09:12 PM
"U-16" Academy teams are composed of 91 and 92 birth years. I believe that the Bridge team has lots of 91's that would be USYSA U-17's. I also believe that CASL's team has very few, if any, U-17's. I am basing that on the fact that their U-17 team is still together and playing R3PL. If my "facts" are wrong, I'll cheerfully accept correction.

I don't know where one would find a roster with birthdates.
Posted By: soccer19 Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/11/08 02:23 AM
can anyone answer justwanttoplay's question?
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/11/08 01:56 PM
As with ODp and National teams, USSF Academy is birthyear
thus the USSF team is made up of 91 and 92s... although it does not exclude younger talent...

I believe Bridge has a 93 or 94 (Nestor) in the team
Posted By: On the Field Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/11/08 05:06 PM
You are correct futbol...I have been told there are several 93's and 94's in the Academy which train and play on this team

HappyDaddy - the CASL team in the Premeir league may be the same but you must also consider that they have older boys as their team name says - 90 CASL Premier. The Academy is the birthyear of 1991 and the CASL team is made up of 90's and 91's as they follow the USYSA soccer age group which is August 1 1990 to July 31, 1991. I'm sure beating any age group in the CASL program is a great feeling and also a nice feather in the teams cap.

Congrats to Bridge Academy for winning!
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: US Soccer Development Academy - 01/11/08 11:34 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear:

Someone seemed to be suggesting that the Bridge "U-16" Academy team beat the CASL U-16 team that beat Chelsea and won the Disney Showcase this year. My point was that the CASL U-16 team that played in the Showcase was a true U-16 (August, 1 1991 - July 31, 1992). The Bridge Academy team is composed of kids born anytime in 1991 or 1992 (possibly younger, but no older). It is my belief that the CASL Academy team is their "regular" U-16 team. I also believe that Bridge's Academy team has a number of U-17 players. That's all. Beating CASL is a fine thing to do. I simply think we should be honest about the fact that an Academy U-16 team is not the same as a USYS U-16 team. No biggie.
© SC Soccer