SC Soccer
Posted By: asoccerparent Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 12:47 PM
Why were such weak teams allowed in this division? It is obvious some of the teams would JUST (maybe) be competitive in the lower division. Shouldn't this be screened in all age groups. A lot of driving to play teams that can't give you a good game. Is it the coaches of the teams that don't know what they are doing???
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 12:58 PM
The league starts at U13 so most teams will give the challenge league a shot and see how the teams fare.Some teams will stick it out and get better and some will drop back a lower division.How many teams would you have if the weaker teams were relagated down? If I had to guess not many..Now you would only be playing a limited number of games or playing the same teams twice..Consider yourself lucky to be on a competitive teams and seek more games thru tournaments and play teams from neighboring states.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 01:19 PM
CHT is right... this is the first time they play at a higher level. I assume you may be associated with either Bridge or CESA 94P. Both played up last year and received the experience. CESA95P and LCSC 95 are also playing up this year for the longer term planning of both squads.

Consider yourself lucky in that you are getting the experience you need to compete at the regional level, once you qualify for R3PL. Unfortunately you have to pay the dues this season for this to happen.
Posted By: Coach P Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 06:24 PM
Quote:

Why were such weak teams allowed in this division? It is obvious some of the teams would JUST (maybe) be competitive in the lower division. Shouldn't this be screened in all age groups. A lot of driving to play teams that can't give you a good game. Is it the coaches of the teams that don't know what they are doing???

Choice of divisions is voluntary in SCYSA. Affiliated teams are allowed to play in whatever division they choose. Mandatory assignment or mandatory promotion/relegation has been strongly resisted in SC and especially on this message board. So the answer to your question is that this is the coaches' responsibility.

I'm not sure which teams exactly you are referring to, but MPSC 94 Girls White, CESA 95 Girls Premier, CESA 94 Girls Challenge, and LCSC United 95G White all played U13 Classic I in the fall and finished as the top 4 teams in that division. Apparently they decided they wanted more challenging competition. The two teams that one may wonder about the most are SAA Elite and USA Hurricanes. From what I can tell, SAA Elite did not play in the fall, at least not in Challenge, Classic I, or Classic II. So they appear to be jumping in immediately at the highest level. The USA team finished second in Classic II last season and apparently decided to jump over Classic I and go directily to Challenge.

One other thing that may come in to play is competition with JV teams. Some of these teams may have lost some players to JV or may have had to play without players on game days due to conflicts with JV.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 06:38 PM
Good point coach P... forgot about the pesky JV issue. I know for a fact it is an issue with USA.

And by the way... it is not the PMSL challenge league it is the SC state challenge league
Posted By: Coach P Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/11/08 06:45 PM
Quote:

And by the way... it is not the PMSL challenge league it is the SC state challenge league

That is true in the spring. In the fall, it's the PMSL Challenge Division for U13 and U14. There is no Fall SCSCL for U13 & U14.
Posted By: Lowcountryvoice Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 12:37 PM
Teams such as the Bridge have no right to complain about the competitive level of teams they play in league play. These are the teams that they have recruited the best players from to create the best teams in the state. I would think that these Bridge teams would seek competitive teams through quality tournaments. But, why would a team such as the Bridge U13G be playing in tournaments such as the James Island Tournament, Girls Rock, and St Patrick’s Day Cup if they are truly looking for top competition? When this same team goes to a quality tournament such as the Concorde Fire they don’t play in the top flight. Seems to me they are just looking for trophies not competitive games. This type of schedule does not seem to help this U13G team prepare for R3PL next Spring. Also, maybe if the Bridge had home fields teams would not have to travel as much to play these non-competitive teams.
Posted By: 202677 Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 12:50 PM
Quote:

Teams such as the Bridge have no right to complain about the competitive level of teams they play in league play. These are the teams that they have recruited the best players from to create the best teams in the state.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!
There should be a progression system. Success over time should allow you to move up. This would keep people from doing a one year recruiting thing as well. Our kids have moved to challenge off and on, some successful some not. Currently the JV bug, has hurt our team.

Some folks try to play challenge with no support system at all, opposite of what CESA does. These pretenders just are about money, and image, not for the "good of the game"
Posted By: asoccerparent Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 01:38 PM
First, thanks for the great information. Did not think about the JV situation? Second, Cesa has a large pool of players that we are recruiting from. We field three competitive teams in this bracket. For an area like Charleston to only field one competitive team is frustrating. What is the reason? BTW who is SAA?
the coach was taken off gaurd by what his kids decided to do, after the fact. Our group played your guys and did fine, just lost players due to JV.
Posted By: Bonz Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 03:20 PM
Let's get some info first. James Island is part of the bridge. We did not want to play in it but to show support we did. WE also played in the u-14 div. Same goes for the Girls Rock tournament(u-14 div) plus it is a early tournament to shake off the cobwebs. As the Concorde fire we were in the top flight until 4 days before the tournament. Reason we got bump is that CESA register 18 teams and 1 from Cesa-columbia. We are 2-1 against CESA and 2-1 against Concord Fire in the last 12 months but yet they still would not let us play. Money talks!! And we do have home fields. We call them Patriots Point
Posted By: Coach P Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 03:28 PM
Quote:

BTW who is SAA?

Southern Academy Alliance from Beaufort County. The info on the following link is dated but it is all I have found:
SAA
Posted By: Lowcountryvoice Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 03:47 PM
jonz,

Are you telling us that MPSC is now part of the Bridge Alliance and supports them with home fields? Or does Bridge pay for the use of Patriots Point to call these Bridge home fields? You defended your tournament selections but not St Patrick's Cup. Looking for another trophy for better selection in Big Tournaments?

I guess Bridge and field useage is for another Thread.
Posted By: asoccerparent Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 03:52 PM
Checked out the link. Thanks. Looks like they should save gas and stay in Blufton. Hokey Soccer at its best.
Posted By: Mad River Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 04:27 PM
Quote:

Let's get some info first. James Island is part of the bridge. We did not want to play in it but to show support we did. WE also played in the u-14 div. Same goes for the Girls Rock tournament(u-14 div) plus it is a early tournament to shake off the cobwebs. As the Concorde fire we were in the top flight until 4 days before the tournament. Reason we got bump is that CESA register 18 teams and 1 from Cesa-columbia. We are 2-1 against CESA and 2-1 against Concord Fire in the last 12 months but yet they still would not let us play. Money talks!! And we do have home fields. We call them Patriots Point

Don't blame getting bumped down in the Concorde Tournament to CESA or $. We were the CESA-Columbia team (U-12B) and were supposed to play in the Championship division and didn't find out we got bumped down to the Premiere Division until we got to Atlanta. There were no CESA teams in our Championship Division but two in ours. Wound up winning our division without really being challenged. Was nice to win but would have liked better competition.
Posted By: Bonz Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 04:28 PM
If we were looking for another trophy we would be in the u-13 div against MPSC 94,or the 95,and 96's!
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 05:14 PM
We go to these tournaments to see different and more challenging competition..What division you get put into is really out of the team' hand..The more competition that shows up the better chance of getting pushed back a bracket or not making a tournament at all..Clubs that have a name usually make tougher brackets such as CESA,CUFC and Bridge..
The other side of that is..When the team may not be as strong as last season due to losing players and bringing in new ones and you apply for tournaments you fell will challenge your squad sometimes you get sent away because of that big name..It's a double edged sword
Posted By: Loc Dog Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 05:19 PM
why didn't bridge send 18 teams?
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 06:00 PM
"Checked out the link. Thanks. Looks like they should save gas and stay in Blufton. Hokey Soccer at its best. "

soccer parent. Why should they have stayed in Bluffton?
I looked up their scores:
0 - 2 CESA 94 premier
1 - 2 CESA 95 premier
2 - 3 CFC
1 - 2 MPSC

Those aren't exactly blowouts!!!
Posted By: asoccerparent Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 06:12 PM
both of our CESA teams were missing top players in both games they played. Score did not reflect the one sided games. Rec team at best. MP is a rec team and they tied them. Nothing more needs to be said.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 06:24 PM
Wow, rec teams!!!
A little insulting. I would also say that most club teams (missing a player or two) would destroy most rec teams that I have seen. I am sure that your teams are very talented, but to be insulting to 12 year olds is a bit over the top, don't you think???
Posted By: bamr1 Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 07:47 PM
OK I've Had enough. Wasn't going to jump in, but there is so much misinformation that I felt it necessary.

First some history. During the prior two years SAA has been a strong team, that gave both CESA and Bridge 94 teams tough competition. This year there does seem to have been a difference in team makeup, however it is not fair to call SAA or Mount Pleasant 94s rec teams.

Last year Bridge 94 and Cesa 94 Premier played up and lost close to all their matches. They benefited from that experience and are now top of the league. The 95 teams in the league are doing the same thing this year and don't count either of those teams out.

The comment about the CESA 95 Girls being short players and having a lopsided match with SAA is completely false. CESA 95 had a full roster of players and won, but it was a close match. Can't speak for the CESA 94's since I do not have knowledge of their game. I do know that the CESA 94 and CESA 95 parents have enough class not to call any of their competition "rec" teams.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 08:03 PM
I guess that should take care of this thread..
Posted By: Mad River Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 09:48 PM
Takes a little bit of moxie to call another club team a "rec" team. I think we should all show the kids a little respect. Wouldn't let our kids badmouth someone else like that.
Posted By: Bonz Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/12/08 09:55 PM
SAA also play in challenge leauge spring 07. The team is made up of younger players with one or two older ones thown in. I think it is great for the teams to play up. CUFC 95 elite should have played up in the SCSCL this season. They are 5-0 25 GF and 0 GA.
If there was some kind of progression system none of this would happen? Right? SCYSA thoughts?
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/13/08 01:02 PM
Didn't CESA 94 challenge lose 10-1 to Bridge? and 2-0 to MPSC? it would appear that CESA did a good job of selecting the premier players from the pool but the second tier team is average. So soccerparent you are in the right team and come the end of the year, you can apply to premier league for the spring of 09. This is the path you must go through... think of it as a necessary evil.

I assume the staff at CESA have you playing in the top tourneys to keep you sharp. Good luck the rest of the season.
Posted By: Chantman Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/13/08 01:08 PM
Quote:

both of our CESA teams were missing top players in both games they played. Score did not reflect the one sided games. Rec team at best. MP is a rec team and they tied them. Nothing more needs to be said.

Thanks for reminding me that sometimes parents need to keep their mouth shut and just let the kids play and have fun.
Posted By: biggest fan Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/27/08 04:40 PM
In reference to the Concorde Fire tournament we,Bridge FA 94 girls, did request the top division in U13 however, for some reason we were switched (with CESA) from the Champions bracket to the Premier bracket. We were told that it was based on our play in the Raleigh tourney. It was out of our hands. We always want the better competition and not the trophies/medals. ( we have plenty)
Posted By: Lowcountryvoice Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/27/08 05:25 PM
Looks like with results that the selection committee placed you in the right division.

With Bridge FA being over three years old now where are all the Charleston U13 girls playing? James Island and Summerville do not have U13 teams that I can see. With the Bridge FA concept I thought that James Island and Summerville would be working with the younger age groups to prepare them for U13 Challenge and Primer. I look at the Bridge FA U13G team (only 13 roster) with only one girl representing James Island and no girls from Summerville. Actually, looks like 25% of the girls on this team are not even from the Charleston area. Does not look like this alliance is working on the girls program. I guess we will have to wait and see if Bridge FA even fields a team at the U13G level next Fall.

Bridge FA Girls U13 Gold you have a great web site with informative information about your team. I sure don’t know how you get all the parents to buy in on so many tournaments$$$
Posted By: asoccerparent Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 03:30 AM
Jim Morrison? Aren't you on the Board for the Bridge or am I mistaken. Seems like you would be more flattering about the Bridge. Better teams seem to attract girls from smaller areas that can't field a team. You should know that. As for the $$$, I heard they had a BIG sponser that charters buses, uniforms, hotel expenses and food. Not bad!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 11:06 AM
Quote:

Jim Morrison? Aren't you on the Board for the Bridge or am I mistaken. Seems like you would be more flattering about the Bridge. Better teams seem to attract girls from smaller areas that can't field a team. You should know that. As for the $$$, I heard they had a BIG sponser that charters buses, uniforms, hotel expenses and food. Not bad!

how the hell did i get into this thread?i do not even know anyone from bridge.my brother lives in summerville but i do not think that puts me on the board.you must have me mixed up with jimmy hendrix.
Posted By: Coach P Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 11:50 AM
Quote:

With Bridge FA being over three years old now where are all the Charleston U13 girls playing? James Island and Summerville do not have U13 teams that I can see...

SSC had a U13 girls team in the Fall Classic II division. They are not back for the spring. MPSC has a U13 team that played Classic I in the fall and are in the Challenge division this spring.
Posted By: Bonz Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 01:06 PM

As a Bridge parent I have no problem traveling to JIYSC and maybe they will appreciate what the Bridge has to offer our kids and keep the lowcountry competitive with the rest of the state.

Since your daughter has left the team - i bet you like to see if the Bridge will field a team next fall.
The reason we play in so many tournament(as you know the reason) is because there is no teams to play in the charleston area. Look at some of the best teams in the Region III like CASL. CASL has played 63 games in 12 months. Who cares if 25% of the team is not from the area? Serious soccer player will travel to train and play on a good team. Two player from Hilton Head and two from Walterboro. Does either area have a good challenge program? And we hope that the numbers continue grow even higher. Remember there are some players from charleston that play for CESA.
Posted By: Lowcountryvoice Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 02:22 PM
I am guessing that you are a very passionate parent of a player on the U13G team. I am not bashing the Bridge FA program it is a great concept on paper. And sorry but I have not been directly involved with the U13G Bridge FA team and really could care less about a U13G team next season for the Bridge FA. I just thought without the support from James Island and Summerville that Bridge FA would find it hard to field a U13G team next Fall. But, if Bridge FA is going to continue it’s existence then they need to be able to attract quality players from the Charleston area year after year and I don’t see that happening on the girls program.

What I am wondering is where are all the U13 girls in the Charleston area? James Island and Summerville are not developing players to feed the younger Bridge FA girls programs. Although it looks like MPSC is doing it even if they are not part of the alliance.

I don’t believe there are any 11 or 12 year old girls making the trip from Charleston area to Greenville. Why would they if Bridge FA can support them with quality coaches and training?
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/28/08 02:28 PM
Just clarification... The current U13 Bridge team will be U14 next season... I am not aware of a U12 team that will be bridge U13 next year. but would assume there will be tryouts for it
Posted By: 95dad Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/31/08 12:33 PM
Wow this will truly be interesting to see how it shapes up. James Island, Summerville and Charleston United all have U12 teams that will be U13 in the fall the question is are they going to go it alone or could this be the "alliance" that will unfold to become BFA U13 if yes will it be a strong enough team to compete at the challenge level?

hhhhmmmm I wonder
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/31/08 01:50 PM
I do not think you will see an alliance unfold..You might see a alliance of players unfold but not clubs..It's called recruiting..Let your child make the choice and do what's best for them..Being on the "best" team is not in every player's best interest..
Posted By: 95dad Re: Girls U13 PMSL Challenge League - 03/31/08 05:58 PM
CHT....

Most definately I agree when the time comes we will definately look at whats best for us not the name of a club..

SD..
© SC Soccer