SC Soccer
Posted By: clemsonsoccer07 USC recruiting - 05/26/08 06:49 PM
Does anyone else think that USC's in state recruiting class is a joke? Outside of Danny Cates you have three unproven marginal players. Is Berson just doing this to silence all of the critics who always berate him for passing over in state players? It looks like he just took three kids who he doesn't have to throw much money at to come play on the practice squad for four years, so he doesn't have to listen to parents, coaches, soccer supporters nag him about taking more in state players. It's just pretty frustrating to see TONS and TONS of kids over the past five or six years with LOTS more talent get passed up by USC and now three kids on his club team get spots on the team. I know it's his son but jeez, Berson probably wouldn't START at NW, Irmo, Wando, or SV, but he's gonna play at USC?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: USC recruiting - 05/26/08 07:30 PM
im not sure if this is true at all schools but can't a coaches kid go for free.if this is the case then why not have your kid play for you.assuming your kid wants to be with you that much.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: USC recruiting - 05/26/08 09:33 PM
If I were a college coach and my son wanted to be on the team I wouldn't have any problem taking him, regardless of his abilities. (Football did this with Spurrier, Scott) Maybe he's on the team to gain coaching experience and be another outstanding coach like his dad.

If Berson is doing all this to silence all the critics... according to your post, it didn't. I think Berson, like all coaches in pro, college, high school, and club, is always dealing with critics and a move strictly to silence critics would be a waste of his time.
Posted By: sweet feet Re: USC recruiting - 05/26/08 09:46 PM
Clemsonsoccer07,
Did his kid make all state this year?
Posted By: soccer5 Re: USC recruiting - 05/26/08 11:10 PM
No...not even close to making it
Posted By: Greco3 Re: USC recruiting - 05/26/08 11:13 PM
this is very true..usc hardly ever recruits from in state
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 01:17 AM
clemson 07,

why do you care who Berson or USC decides to recruit?

please tell about the players that the tigers have signed for next season and what state they are from.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 01:33 AM
Yeah it's not like this is a public forum where you can discuss your opinions or anything.
Posted By: clemsonsoccer07 Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 02:12 AM
Letme,
Do you care? If no one cared why would this website work? Why would people openly discuss the state of soccer specifically in the state of South Carolina? Isn't that the point of SCSOCCER? So we can talk about some things, but not South Carolina's recruiting class? Next time and from now on I'll make sure to keep my discussions centered solely around the school I attend because that makes tons of sense. No one at that hillbilly school in the up-state could know anything about soccer in Columbia. Everyone knows that.

Solomon,
I guess I can understand giving your child a spot on the team, but it is SUCH a stretch in this case that it is tough to watch. A spot on a division one team is not something that I think should just be given out, but needs to be earned and deserved. But like I said, I can definitely see where you and Berson are both coming from, but I guess I respectfully disagree. That still doesn't explain the GK signing. Players like like Davis Jenkins and Jason McCabe to name recent ones get passed over, but this kid plays for his club team for a couple of years and gets a spot? I just think it's pretty ironic and sad that he has four in state kids and four from his club team. Maybe get out and watch the kids up from CESA or something I heard they're not that bad.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 02:22 AM
no i don't care what you think because you're not interested in discussing- you're about bashing and taking shots at berson's son and other players from his club team. my question to you was - why do you care about who berson recruits? maybe your guys weren't interested in USC.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 03:38 AM
I have never heard of Luke Berson in my life, besides the fact he is playing at USC. Is this kid any good?
Posted By: sidenet Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 12:18 PM
From what I've heard, he has ONLY played on his father's teams from YMCA to present and no ODP. Who knows, but is does sound suspect. I wonder if the AD is aware?
Posted By: soccerboy26 Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 12:44 PM
clemsonsoccer07: i completly agree with you in the fact that a kid who has alot of talent and skill should be more diserving than some of his club players. taking some of these players takes away scholarships for others who are more diserving but i think berson is a great coach
Posted By: Jackson, Samuel L. Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 01:02 PM
I don't think he's bashing anybody. This is a great point!!!!
Posted By: dhunter Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 01:03 PM
Why does anyone assume these four guys are taking scholarships from anyone or even getting scholarships? Perhaps these young men do well academically in high school and are getting academic scholarships. You know they do only get about 11 scholarships for soccer. Look at the rest of the recruits Coach Berson signed, some are franchise players. It does seem like bashing for the sake of it. Instead of just trashing the recruits why not talk about who you think should have been recruited.
Posted By: projectpat17 Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 02:12 PM
I've played his son. Big player, not USC-caliber by any stretch of the imagination.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 02:33 PM
you know they do only get about 11 scholarships for soccer.

9.9 scholarships for NCAA Division I men's soccer
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 03:11 PM
I highly doubt that Luke and Ross, the Goalkeeper from Hammond are getting any type of soccer scholarship money to play at USC. They are probably going to be getting plenty of academic money and are most likely both going to be on the team as "preferred" walk-ons. If either of them are getting money than that is a shame for the plenty of other more deserving (as far as soccer talent goes) young men. Although I'm sure it is very hard to find a player like Danny Cates, who combines the great talent with the hard work in the classroom.
Posted By: Import Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 04:02 PM
It would nice to see state schools have x % of in-state players, especially with soccer being a non-revenue producing sport.
Posted By: clemsonsoccer07 Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 05:58 PM
Quote:

no i don't care what you think because you're not interested in discussing- you're about bashing and taking shots at berson's son and other players from his club team. my question to you was - why do you care about who berson recruits? maybe your guys weren't interested in USC.

Not interested in discussing? Let me put it to you this way, (see what I did there) you didn't present anything to discuss. I'd be more than happy to have an open discussion with anyone who would like to discuss the different reasons Berson may have made these decisions. Is it political? Are they finicially based? These are questions that I asked and shared my opinions on and because this is an open forum, people have also shared their opinions. You simply responded telling my to stick to clemson soccer.

As far as these kids receiving money to play, I guess we really don't know. I do agree that if these kids are receiving and scholarship money than it makes this even more absurd. If they really aren't receiving any money are these kids still the right choice? I know atleast a number of kids who would have taken a spot on USC with no money rather than receiving a small amount of money from an in-state or out of state private institution. Were there really 0 other more talented kids that would have taken those spots for free (assuming these kids aren't getting any money)?

I'm not simply basing for the sake of it. I feel that there is an injustice and I'm going to voice my opinion about it. This is a Division 1 program, not some U-12 girls teams. These men are now D1 athletes and Berson is a respected D1 coach. Is anyone coddling Spurrier when he makes a bad decision or when Blake Mitchell has a bad game and is attacked by the media? I just don't think it's fair for USC to make these claims that it is looking more at in-state players and offering more spots than in the past, then go and pull this behind the scenes stuff where the four kids with spots all played on his club team.
Posted By: longtime Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 05:59 PM
It seems as if people are questioning the judgement of one of the best college coaches in the nation, for a number of years. As far as recruiting from his club team, Lexington United has been one of the more successful club teams in SC over the last 2 years. They won state at U-17 (undefeated) and finshed second this past season at U-18. During that 2 year period they posted a 5-1 record against the CESA teams, and defeated the CUFC team 4 straight times. They finished second to CESA this past year, loosing a tight game on PKs. Lexington United has 10 players signed (with several pending) to play college ball, with or without soccer money. I do not think there is another club team that can make that claim. As far as recruiting goes, coaches have to consider several aspects. There are many high caliber players that do well on the field but poorly in the classroom or off the field. If a player has below average grades and cannot stay out of trouble off the field why would any coach take a chance. As an example, the goal keeper from Aiken could not pass the pressure in the classroom and ended up dropping out. If any senior player has yet to sign it would be safe to assume that there are problems elsewhere. In addition, the positions coaches are looking for change from year to year, based on their need at any given time. There are very few players receiving "big" money for college soccer. As most people know, college coaches tend to recruit more from club play than high school play. Also, most players are recruited after their junior year and most players are well aware of where they will play well before the end of their Senior year in high school. We all have a good feeling for who has talent but very few of us, on the outside, have any knowledge of the players grades and off the field activities. In addition, most are well aware of several "problem" players that are very good soccer players that colleges have apparently passed over. Not to mention, some players, regardless of how good they are, have any desire to play college ball. The main point, Coach Berson has proved himself to be one of the nation's premier coaches, why question his judgement. The players USC has recruited this year all had offers from other colleges, not just USC.
Posted By: welshwizard Re: USC recruiting - 05/27/08 07:33 PM
letme,
honestly, please just be quiet, you are not making yourself seem any better in the process. people will always think of you in such a dumb manner because of your behavior on this post. also, while I am glad more SC players are getting a chance to compete for spots on D1 teams, i agree with clemsonsoccer in that I feel they should be deserved. I do think vance benson might end up doing some good things at USC and Spencer Lewis is a great example of in-state recruiting turning out well. however, his most recent signings from the midlands, in his son and Daniel Lynch just don't add up. If I were a coach I would love to have my son play for me, but only if he was good enough. If not I would use all my resources and contacts to find him a competitive D2 or D3 school to play at. Schools in SC continue to get better and better, especially the D2 and D3 programs. I'm not here to bash, but to tell what some call a "harsh" truth, but I'm not going to be the US government and lie... enough said
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 12:12 AM
USC had one of the top recruiting classes! Berson knows what he is doing!
Posted By: Greco3 Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 03:45 AM
Everyone knows that Berson is an excellent coach, but does he actually take the time to see what kinda of talent sc actually brings
Posted By: sidenet Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 04:09 AM
As far as recruiting his own son, who is described as "average at best" by players and coaches that know him, really a D2/3 player, the word that comes to my mind is Nepotism. Berson has no shame nor self-awareness in this matter. Maybe his son wants to be a soccer coach when he grows up... Taking a spot away from a deserving d-1 player so a relative can "sit" is shameless!
Posted By: soccer63 Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 12:41 PM
Quote:

Everyone knows that Berson is an excellent coach, but does he actually take the time to see what kinda of talent sc actually brings

I think the point needs to be made that Berson also has the benefit of having one of the best assistant coaches in the business in Bert Molinary. Coach Molinary does know the talent in SC as well as throughout the nation. I'm sure he has quite the frequent flyer miles accumulated from his recruiting trips.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 06:28 PM
I don't see how a soccer coach is shameless and a Hall of Fame footbal coach is brilliant for possibly doing the same stuff. Was it nepotism when Lou Holtz brought Skip to carry on after Lou was gone? Why didn't the USC AD do something with Holtz? Surely there was a whole lotta money involved with Skip compared to what we are talking about. That is IF this person received one full scholarship out of 9.9 allowed for a 20 something man roster.

And Absolutely correct soccer63, Molinary knows his stuff!
Posted By: ??? Re: USC recruiting - 05/28/08 09:10 PM
When Spurrier allows his son to play on the team that is because scott is a compitent player and there are 90 spots on a football team...also skip holtz has proven himself and his team beat the defending tostitos fiesta bowl champions...these people are actually good at what they do. Also, i am sick of hearing people say.."he is D2 or D3". Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer...USC Upstate years ago was as good or better than every D1 school in the state...The year Clemson went to the Final Four Lander beat them 2 to 1. You are ignorant to think there is a huge difference in D1 and D2 soccer. The best teams in D2 are as good or better than the best teams in D1.
Lastly, USC'S recruiting class was not that good this year...VERY overrated...I am a die hard USC fan but the truth is the truth
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 02:13 PM
does anyone know if berson's son got a scholarship? if he did not receive $ from soccer the coach is not taking anything away from anyone. there is no limit on the #'s u can have on a college team, except when conferences limit dressed players for those teams traveling...several kids play for their parents...i guess nepotism would come in if the kid is not deserving to play and does over a better player...but filling a roster spot is no big deal...i know coaches that have to have at least 28 on their roster...
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 02:33 PM
Many of you seem to be making a LOT of assumptions.

sidenet: you say “…Taking a spot away from a deserving d-1 player so a relative can "sit" is shameless!” You get extra points for making two assumptions in the same sentence. Do you KNOW that he is taking a “spot” from anybody? Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that USC is able to roster 25 players. Maybe, for whatever reason, Berson was only able to find 24 that worked out for him (not ONLY 24 “good” players or 24 “anything” players, just 24 players that “worked” for him, regardless of the reason), and only intended to roster those 24. So, in that scenario, (and also assuming, again, for argument’s sake, that maybe his son is getting either a full academic scholarship, or as someone else suggested, a free ride because his dad is a coach) his son wouldn’t be taking anybody’s “spot.” Your second assumption is that the son will “sit” the bench. Even if you have seen the boy play, and feel he is unworthy, who ARE you to say he will sit the bench? If you were such a respected analyzer, YOU would be getting paid for that.

clem: you say “TONS and TONS of kids…get passed up by USC…” Again, how do you know that tons get passed up? Are you making that statement based solely on the fact that TONS of South Carolina players are not on the USC roster? “A spot on a division one team is not something that I think should just be given out, but needs to be earned and deserved,” “Players like like Davis Jenkins and Jason McCabe to name recent ones get passed over,” “…this kid plays for his club team for a couple of years and gets a spot,” and “Maybe get out and watch the kids up from CESA or something I heard they're not that bad.” You make so many assumptions, it’s hard to know where to start.

And, please don’t jump on me like you do LETMEPUTITTOYOU. I am all for discussing whatever anybody wants to discuss, but you don’t seem to be discussing – you’re just trashing (by making baseless statements). Although, a couple times, you do actually ask a question like you don’t already “know” the answer. The only FACTS I see in any of your posts here are names on the rosters.

Have you bothered to approach Berson or Molinary with any of your concerns? I happen to know that Bert is a very approachable person. Now, I’m not saying that he’s gonna sit down with you and defend each and every recruiting decision he’s ever made, but I’d be willing to bet he would be more than happy to give you at least some insight into many of his choices.

johnproctor: you say “…taking some of these players takes away scholarships for others who are more diserving…” more assumptions. Who are you to say 1) that any of these players are taking away scholarships from anyone, and 2) who is more deserving than somebody else?

clem: you say “I just don't think it's fair for USC to make these claims that it is looking more at in-state players and offering more spots than in the past, then go and pull this behind the scenes stuff where the four kids with spots all played on his club team.” Where are all these claims that USC has made regarding recruiting in-state? Not saying they haven’t made these claims, but I’d like to know where you’re getting those “claims” from.

clem: you say “I feel that there is an injustice.” You are really starting to (or continuing to) sound like you’ve got some sort of an axe to grind with Berson. Do you have a child, or a friend who has a child who was “passed up” by Berson. Without any real facts, none of what you have stated (or asked) in this thread sounds like any kind of injustice, just you not agreeing with the decisions of a man who has run a highly respected program for – wait, let me check the facts – yes, for 29 YEARS. But, to be fair to you, your soccer resume is what?

???: you say “Also, i am sick of hearing people say.."he is D2 or D3". Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer...USC Upstate years ago was as good or better than every D1 school in the state...The year Clemson went to the Final Four Lander beat them 2 to 1. You are ignorant to think there is a huge difference in D1 and D2 soccer. The best teams in D2 are as good or better than the best teams in D1.”

I probably should have ignored this, but I’ve already jumped in pretty deep, so... sorry, but most of that is just plain ignorant. For you to use Clemson’s loss to Lander the year they went to the final four as proof that "Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer" is simply ridiculous. Addressing the rest isn’t even worth my time.

longtime, soccer63, solomon and keepersd2002 all seem to be voices of reason. I want to thank you for that.
Posted By: welshwizard Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 03:01 PM
well you addressed everything else so why not just finish it off, geez do you have a life belligerent? i mean come on these people have valid points with the exception of D2 being as good as D1. you are being belligerent right now, at least you live up to the name, but honestly, how long did it take you to post this, kind of seems a bit over the top
Posted By: ??? Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 03:03 PM
thank you belligerent for gracing the scsoccer world with your presence...not only did you explain nothing but you sounded extremely arrogant in the process...thank you belligerent for all that you do
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 03:50 PM
Valid points? Are you serious? Most of the comments so far have been wild assumptions, seemingly based on absolutely nothing factual.

I apologize if any of that came off as arrogant - not my intent. Belligerent? Absolutely! Do I have a life? Do you mean outside of scsoccer.com? How long did that take? Definitely much more time than it was worth. Over the top? Possibly.

Wizzie, thank you - I always try to live up to the name.

???, your posts appear to reflect your screen name, just like mine. And, you are welcome - twice.
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: USC recruiting - 05/29/08 06:01 PM
Should this thread move to the College, Pro & International Soccer thread? I would expect you would obtain better response/reaction from the COLLEGE thread.
Posted By: welshwizard Re: USC recruiting - 05/30/08 07:48 PM
and you successfully killed it Sv dad congrats
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: USC recruiting - 05/31/08 01:21 AM
Quote:

and you successfully killed it Sv dad congrats

I only asked a question or made the suggestion! So it did not make sense to move it to the college thread? It was not my intent..
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 06:09 PM
If you only look at the title of the thread, sure. But most of the talk was about high school players being (or not being) recruited.

In response to your comment about possibly having a better "response/reaction" from the college thread, just look at the numbers. The college thread has less than 20% of the number of posts than the Boys High School thread has.

So, to answer your question, no it didn't make sense (to me, at least - obviously someone of importance around here agreed with you).

And it really, really pains me to agree with wizzie, but you did pretty much kill it.
Posted By: cabj12 Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 06:38 PM
This D2 programs being better than D1 programs is ridiculous. I do believe on any given day any team can win. But honestly on a day to day basis the D1 teams would win 8 or 9 out of 10 times. That is why they are D1. The top tier teams in D2 could compete in D1 for sure and thats why Upstate switched over. These other losses are usually what we refer to as "upsets".

ClemSoccer had a good point bringing this up. Why would he take so many in state players, especially these people? I don't see it helping the program out all that much even if they are practice players. But I'm assuming they are preferred walk-ons except Cates.

And no analysts are well respected even though they are paid. Half the time they are wrong.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 07:06 PM
And you are assuming that they will be "practice players" and self-admittedly, preferred walk-ons. Again, why not go to the source and ask the question?

Is it at all possible that this man, who has led a successful program for 29 years, might just see something that all these other people do not? Does it always have to be SO obvious to everyone else in order to make sense?

So, if "knowledgable" analysts are wrong half the time, where does that leave clem?
Posted By: cabj12 Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 07:31 PM
Yes I'm assuming this. I am willing to make what I consider a "safe" assumption and also assume the risk associate with it. If this were a "risky" assumption I probably wouldn't make it but I'm assuming its not risky (cause it really isn't, and you just keep asking rhetorical questions). Certainly there aren't limited to being practice players if they grow and become better than the solid talent USC brings in. Chances are they won't though.

Honestly I've never seen these players play but I'm sure Berson wouldn't see anything that I don't. I might have played Cates against Dutch Fork but don't remember...regardless he should be playing at USC. And counter-intuitively, Clem is probably right since the analysts are wrong. Certainly I agree with him.

And do you care to comment on D2 programs? Or was I right?
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 08:19 PM
I already stated that I felt ???'s comments regarding D1 and D2 school's soccer was ridiculous.

I don't believe any of my questions were rhetorical (but, it's possible - which ones do you feel were?)

Ok, now I'll make an assumption. I'm assuming that you don't have nearly as much soccer experience as coach Berson. Right or wrong? If I am correct, you are being extremely presumptuous to think that it is not possible for him to see something that you do not. Actually, quite arrogant and somewhat uneducated (within the realm of soccer).

I have been involved in the sport on many different levels for over thirty years, and feel I am fairly knowledgeable, but I would never make so bold a claim that I know as much (or more) than someone at that level. But you, having never even seen any of those players actually play, can confidently state that they will be "practice players" their entire college career? That is amazing.

Wait, I just noticed where you said you might have played against Cates at some point in time. My bad - I see you are a teenager (possibly a tad older) - which means you know everything. And, I do have experience with teenagers, having been one, and am currently the parent of one, and another who used to be.
Posted By: cabj12 Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 10:19 PM
Well you asked "why don't we just go to the source to find out?" and I guessed the source meant Berson. I hope you didn't expect us to actually call him or show up at his house and ask "why did you recruit these kids you shouldn't of". He'd likely stick a soccer ball down our throat (wouldn't be surprised if he's done that in his tenure).

You're right I don't have nearly as much experience or knowledge and probably shouldn't have said that. Too sound less arrogant (hopefully it doesnt make it worse) I wasn't talking generally about seeing stuff regarding soccer or being a coach. I was just talking about seeing whether these players were actually good enough to play at big D1 college level. Like I said they aren't limited to being practice players if they work hard enough and keep getting better but with so few credentials in comparison to all these nationally recognized players USC brings in I assumed....

There you go stereotyping teenagers as "people who know everything". I'm sure you think you're right too. I don't fit that stereotype. I don't think I know everything...I was just giving my honest opinion. Excuse me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: USC recruiting - 06/01/08 10:54 PM
Personally, I like the direction the USC program is taking regarding in-state recruiting. Why not give the local kids a shot? It can't hurt anything (especially if they already have academic scholarship help or are willing to try it out as an invited walk-on or true signee).

There is already a bevy of quality National/Regional players on this team and in this recruiting class, so I see no reason why USC cannot augment their current roster with some in-state players.

Are you saying that South Carolina does not produce enough of that quantity? I, sincerely, disagree. It's been missing a long time for the college programs and I am glad that the College of Charleston (first) and South Carolina (second) have incorporated that process into their schemes.

Is Daniel Lynch, Ross Power, or Luke Berson getting money initially? I don't know, but I suspect you don't either. From my understanding they were good high school students and good soccer players with successful high school and club programs. Good for them! Why be bitter? If they can contribute for "book money" or less, then so be it. If they earn more in future seasons, then that is great! Otherwise, they may concentrate on being a college student -- last time I looked there was no crime in that mannerism!

I'm sure Danny Cates is receiving some dough, because he had a choice of collegiate programs to choose from -- why diminish that the others are "signed"? At 9.9 scholarships for men's soccer, I would be as frugal as possible with in-state players unless they are truly "on top of the world" -- but that being said, I would make an earnest effort at recruiting these folks, because this state has proven at the prep level to be the equal of others that are perceived as better.

I'll tell you this, as Director of the Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School, I see first-hand the best prep players that are available from top programs from around the country. If any collegiate program could hand-pick one or two from those four-year classes each year, then "recruiting" would not be that difficult!

Good luck to those NCAA D1 and D2 players, along with the JUCO and D3 signees -- enjoy the game as long as possible and upwards mobility is always possible!

SIDENOTE -- If they can contribute for "book money" or less, then so be it.

My cousin, Kip Bouknight -- who graduated from Brookland-Cayce HS in 1997 and the University of South Carolina in 2001 -- received "book money" with the Gamecocks his first two years despite compiling 18 wins at USC on the mound for the highly successful Carolina baseball team. A bunch of his teammates 'earned' a lot more those seasons and up until his junior year. Luckily for Kip, he was a solid student and an above average athlete. His junior season saw him post a 17-1 record and he won the college football equivalent of the Heisman Trophy, the "Golden Spikes Award". Instead of leaping for Major League Baseball with a year left in school, Kip opted to spend his senior campaign at Sarge Frye Field and led USC to a second-straight NCAA Super Regional -- the Gamecocks lost both series 2-1 to Louisiana-Lafayette and Stanford, respectively. Since then, he's pitched in the Minor Leagues since 2001 and is with the Reading Phillies (PA - AA) this year. He's living a dream with a chance still to reach the "Big Leagues".
Posted By: SV-Dad Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 12:20 AM
Quote:

If you only look at the title of the thread, sure. But most of the talk was about high school players being (or not being) recruited.

In response to your comment about possibly having a better "response/reaction" from the college thread, just look at the numbers. The college thread has less than 20% of the number of posts than the Boys High School thread has.

So, to answer your question, no it didn't make sense (to me, at least - obviously someone of importance around here agreed with you).

And it really, really pains me to agree with wizzie, but you did pretty much kill it.

I believe I did look at the contents! It has indepth discussion of D1/D2 recruiting, specifics on USC Coaches, Nepotism, Even Spurrier's name was brought in. By the way it has had more views under this thread than where it was.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 03:25 AM
cabbie, to quote myself “I happen to know that Bert (Molinary) is a very approachable person. Now, I’m not saying that he’s gonna sit down with you and defend each and every recruiting decision he’s ever made, but I’d be willing to bet he would be more than happy to give you at least some insight into many of his choices.” And, NO, I don’t expect you to show up at either coach’s house…maybe just stick around after a Carolina match?

sv-dad, don’t make me whip out my

calculator and start counting the number of references to high school players vs the number of references to all that other stuff. But, if all your stats make you feel better about almost killing the thread, that’s cool; just know that it was me and cabbie, and some dude named heise who brought this thread back from the dead.
Posted By: ntheno Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 01:29 PM
Quote:

This D2 programs being better than D1 programs is ridiculous. I do believe on any given day any team can win. But honestly on a day to day basis the D1 teams would win 8 or 9 out of 10 times. That is why they are D1. The top tier teams in D2 could compete in D1 for sure and thats why Upstate switched over. These other losses are usually what we refer to as "upsets".

ClemSoccer had a good point bringing this up. Why would he take so many in state players, especially these people? I don't see it helping the program out all that much even if they are practice players. But I'm assuming they are preferred walk-ons except Cates.

And no analysts are well respected even though they are paid. Half the time they are wrong.

Limestone College Mens team played 6 D1 teams this spring including the likes of CofC, High Point, and UNC-G, and lost only to UNC-G. I'm not saying that D2= D1, but in many cases the separation between the two divisions isn't as great as some of ya'll are making it out to be. Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 04:00 PM
when comparing mens programs and D1 to D2, there are several guys that can play either level; depends on what they are looking for in a program and school; they may start as a freshmen for a d2 and only get minutes for a d1. the # of schools that offer men's soccer is low so that is why the quality at both levels is so high. On the other hand, when you compare women's division, there is a big gap between divisions, not saying some d2 programs can't compete against d1 but putting them up against the big conferences, yes there is.
Posted By: Import Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 04:21 PM
Can't say the number of schools offering men's soccer is low, over 1,100! Players and parents need to consider the big picture. You are going to school for the academics. They added enjoyment of playing soccer at that level is an added benefit. There are a lot of [censored] fine institutions besides the big names.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 06:11 PM
ntheno, I agree that there are exceptions to the rule (your example is certainly a good one), but I BELIEVE that most people on this thread agree that to make a GENERAL statement that "Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer" is ridiculous.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 06:45 PM
Almost as ridiculous as comparing college spring scrimmages to fall regular season matches.
Posted By: Will Eudy Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 07:47 PM
Well said Kyle.
Posted By: cabj12 Re: USC recruiting - 06/02/08 10:10 PM
more ridiculous actually mr. Hurst
Posted By: sidenet Re: USC recruiting - 06/03/08 01:52 AM
I'm not sure that anyone has questions about Cates, Powers, or Lynch's abilities. The question in mind is, would the Berson kid have made the team if his daddy wern't the coach? From what I've heard and seen the answer is no, not by a long shot (anyone know different). Is this OK or not? Other coaches have recruited their children from time to time...most of the fore-mentioned were viable recruits though and I guess if your kid can't make another team then, what the heck, it is your team and you can do what you will.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/03/08 11:43 AM
Seems like several people HAVE questioned whether or not Powers and Lynch deserved to be on the Carolina squad. And, sure, it's definitely understandable to wonder if the Berson kid should be on the squad, but there are way too many people saying outright that he does not belong (especially from people like yourself who have never actually seen him play). You wanna question the coach’s decision, fine, but to say for a FACT - not knowing exactly why he was chosen – just seems (like I’ve mentioned before) to be arrogant. Don’t get me wrong, of course that’s the first thing that comes to mind (that he is on the roster because of daddy) but don’t assume that you KNOW that is the reason.
Posted By: sidenet Re: USC recruiting - 06/04/08 03:09 AM
Belligerent, If you will read the post it clearly states that I have seen him play,actually, u-16, u-17, Jr and Sr HS years as well.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: USC recruiting - 06/05/08 12:58 AM
sidenet, obviously, you and I are using different dictionaries. Now, I am more than happy to admit if I am ever, I mean, when I’m wrong, but here are your quotes on the subject. The ONLY place you say you’ve SEEN him is PART of ONE sentence, where you also say, “From what I’ve heard…” The other quotes refer to OTHER people seeing or talking about him. Sorry, but in my book, that ain’t “clearly” nuthin.

From what I've heard , he has ONLY played on his father's teams from YMCA to present and no ODP. Who knows, but is does sound suspect. I wonder if the AD is aware?”

“As far as recruiting his own son, who is described as "average at best" by players and coaches that know him, really a D2/3 player, the word that comes to my mind is Nepotism. Berson has no shame nor self-awareness in this matter. Maybe his son wants to be a soccer coach when he grows up... Taking a spot away from a deserving d-1 player so a relative can "sit" is shameless!”

“I'm not sure that anyone has questions about Cates, Powers, or Lynch's abilities. The question in mind is, would the Berson kid have made the team if his daddy wern't the coach? From what I've heard and seen the answer is no, not by a long shot (anyone know different). Is this OK or not? Other coaches have recruited their children from time to time...most of the fore-mentioned were viable recruits though and I guess if your kid can't make another team then, what the heck, it is your team and you can do what you will.”

And, for the record, I wasn’t picking on just you for making assumptions, I was throwing you in with the rest of the ass

umers.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: USC recruiting - 06/11/08 10:10 PM
6/11/08

USC keeper tradition continues
http://www.thebigspur.com/news/story.php?article=1215
John Whittle, TheBigSpur.com
Posted By: Mad River Re: USC recruiting - 06/16/08 06:53 PM
"The men’s soccer program has a great nucleus of talent already on campus in Columbia. The fall will bring one of the top recruiting classes in the country with three players ranked nationally in the Top 25."

Yeah, I guess Berson doesn't know what he's doing.
© SC Soccer