SC Soccer
Posted By: The Hammer NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/11/08 04:42 PM
ACC (8) - Boston College, Duke, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

SEC (6) - Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee

Action starts this weekend with games on Friday, November 14 and Sunday, November 16!

Quest for the NCAA Women's College Cup - Field of 64
Posted By: Import Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/11/08 05:11 PM
Not a bad draw for So Car.
Posted By: Man City FC Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/13/08 08:49 PM
Here are the brackets from the NCAA website:

NCAA Womens Soccer brackets

You can switch between D1, D2, and D3....

Posted By: Clark Griswold Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/14/08 01:32 AM
Stinks how a team like Western Carolina can beat So. Car., win the SoCon Tourny yet be rewarded by getting UNC in the first round.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/14/08 07:05 PM
regarding western carolina, they have been the tourney once and lost in the 1st rnd. i hate to say it but the weaker conferencees play the best conferences...and socon is one of the weaker conferences..i am not bashing the socon as it is a good conference for women's soccer but comparing it to others...it is in the lower part when comparing to the big dogs...as acc got 8 teams in and sec got 6..big south 1 and socon 1, but i feel uncg did get shafted as they have proven themselves and did not get an at large..that is the problem with the large conferences in any sport, those big conferences get more teams in the tourney and the smaller ones suffer...look at basketball! i am sure if they were seeded western carolina was seeded one of the lowest...and i know western carolina is a quality team, and the coach has them prepared every day...maybe they can upset the dynasty in the first round!!!
Posted By: Import Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/14/08 09:19 PM
The first round of the NCAA tournament is always about minimizing travel expenses, not what is fair or right. This is not a revenue machine like men's basketball.
rpi has a lot to do with seeding. being in the unc region was probably a part of it too. hope wc pulls off tha big upset. heck come of unc players are off playing with the wnt and will miss all playoff games. they're loaded.
Posted By: Import Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/14/08 09:39 PM
My daughter played her final college game in the first round at UNC last year and it was an awesome experience for her, at UNC and against the traditional powerhouse. They even surprised UNC by scoring a goal against them which was HUGE for her team. WC just needs to enjoy the experience and be proud of what they have and what they may accomplish.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/14/08 09:44 PM
I would think Western Carolina would be a higher seed, and have a higher RPI, than Radford. I'd give the nod to the SoCon over the Big South.

Why does WCU get UNC while Radford gets the "easier road" through Duke?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 12:05 AM
Virginia 2
USMA 0

Ashleigh Sheets is out.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 12:14 AM
UNC 5
WCU 0

Caitlin Williams is out.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 12:50 AM
that is a respectable score for western carolina; you always hope someone will put unc away but it is tough...tammy, the head coach at wcu, i am sure had them as prepared as they could be...she is a very good coach and was her second time in the tourney with wcu...

on the seedings, i don't know why radford would have gotten a better seed or duke, as they were a lower seed than unc but depending on how they broke the regions up to play, duke may have been out of that region..i definitely give socon over big south..but rpi and schedule and so forth do play in the pickings, not cost of travel as ncaa reimburses for those things or helps with cost
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 02:05 AM
60th minute.

USC just scored to go up 2-1 on William & Mary!

73rd minute.....W&M just hit the post!

78th minute....W&M draws even, 2-2. Come on Gamecocks!!!

Gamecocks have 4 yellow cards. Blakely Mattern and Kim Miller each got one in the 78th minute. Shots are even at 11, corners even at 1. Fouls: USC 16, W&M 3.

Going to OT knotted 2-2. Minutes played: Mattern (90), Bigbie (74), Campbell (26).

92nd minute.......Wiliam & Mary scores to go up 3-2! (FSC is showing a Brown-Dartmouth Ivy League men's match, how can they be missing this!!!!)

92nd minute and red cards are flying! USC gets one for the "team" and Danila Monteiro gets one for herself.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 02:58 AM
Chico,

Need you to come out of retirement and give us a game recap. Sounds like a wild game.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 03:01 AM
Dude..Dartmouth is up 1-0..
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 03:05 AM
I had VH-1 Classic on in the background. Three hours of Springsteen Live in Barcelona!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 11:42 AM
Game recap:

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/111408aaa.html

Look out for USC next season!
3 goals by w&m...what happen to usc d? fla st was the only game that usc gave up 3 goals for the season. sorry they didn't make it out of the 1st game ........i thought they had a good draw and might knock off duke.
Ga, Tenn, LSU and SC go out in the first round. Auburn and Florida win. not a good showing by sec teams.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/15/08 08:01 PM
So who got the Colonial Athletic Association so pumped? 3 for 3 in the first round including 2 of those wins over SEC.
Posted By: SoccerTaxi Re: NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket - 11/16/08 05:51 PM
I don't know what happened in the other games, but for the lady gamecocks, it just ripped your heart out to see what happened to these girls. The statistics can speak for themselves, fouls 16 - 4 and look at all the red and yellow given. Lets start by saying that the head referee does most of his regular season refing for the CAA and many of those games for W&M. I see a motive and a big conflict of interest. He made it blatently obvious who we was routing for, and he didn't hide his bias either. At half time W&M had no fouls so in the second half, just to put something on the board, he called 4 dinky fouls against them, all at least 40 50 yards away from the goal.

As our girls were being pulled down and tripped in and out of the box, they were accused of 'diving' and told to stop diving or else.

The girls, coaches and fans grew more and more frustrated. One of W&M's goals was a obvious hand ball before it went in the net. Another goal was a direct kick off of one of our supposed fouls. Thus, how we had 3 goals scored against us.

I give the girls lots of credit, they played great, dispite the conditions. Unfortunatly, they could not catch any break.

Now I've seen many a soccer game in my long life, and we all have been disappointed in the ref at one time or another(probably more than we care to admit), and always want to put blame on the ref and not the team for losing the game, but I really have to tell you that this ref did have our girls fate in his hands. It was the worse case of bias I have ever seen and he wasn't even trying to hide it.

If you weren't there, it really is too hard to discribe. The lady's have only received 3 yellow cards this entire year, 4 Yellows and 2 red, 16 fouls compared to 4 fouls and no cautions or ejections for the other team that played a very good but physical game. Its a shame a real shame.

We can't dwell on the past, whats done cannot be undone, but I sure hope something changes with how the assign the referees for NCAA games.
© SC Soccer