SC Soccer
Starts today:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/fixtures?league=FIFA.CONFEDERATIONS&cc=5901

US v Italy- Monday 2:30pm EST ESPN
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/14/09 08:27 PM
Torres
Torres
Torres
Posted By: Dave Easley Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 11:44 AM
ESPN360 will be carrying it live as well ...
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 02:55 PM
Wild start to Brazil vs. Egypt...3 back-and-forth goals scored in the first 11 minutes of play...Brazil up 3-1 at half.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 03:12 PM
Holy smoke...two Egypt goals in under a minute to equalize the game...if you're not watching this, you're missing out...
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 03:49 PM
usa italy next. looks like is gone be some easy 3 points for the la azurri.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 03:55 PM
Chass,

I missed it. How about a little advanced warning next time.

I'll be back for USA-Italy.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 04:12 PM
Sorry! I was lucky...stayed at home waiting for some furniture to be delivered and got to catch the game...great match. I'll be sticking around for USA-Italy barring emergency.
Posted By: gunners04 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 04:35 PM
Hurst,
There's another round Thursday on ESPN2 at 9:55 a.m. and 2:25 p.m.
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/15/09 07:43 PM
1-0 usa in the firt half, the ref f%$## bc he gave ricky clark the red card.

good game so far, italy is beatable.

go USA!!!! ; )
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 02:32 AM
Joisey Rossi was unbelievable!
wow, US plays Italy and there are 2 posts.

my takes:

clark's red card was bogus but u can't go in that high.
bradley and jozy should have scored.
where were torres and adu?
howard did all he could do.
landon look pretty good.
with only 10 the us did ok.

don't think we'll make it out of group play.

agreed, rossi is for real.
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 04:16 AM
my thoughts on the game.

1. Is about time to start looking for a real coach.
2. Sudafrica would be another embarrasing competion for the US and this is going to hurt soccer in this country.
3. The red card was MESSED UP, that should have been a yellow card, ref really do suck sometime.
4. the US needs a true # 10, Donovan isnt creative enough for the world stage.
5. Dempsey needs to do more, he is supposed to be one of the big boys.
6. the US has absolutely nobody on the bench that would make things happend.

Just a few ideas from this futbolstud ; )
recap of usa game vs italy and comments. will the usmnt ever win a big game?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/blog/sow_exp...Zkmw7YF?urn=sow,170382
Posted By: dhunter Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 03:37 PM
I don't care for Ricardo Clark's play the last two games. Previous game he was awful the first half but he did play well in the second. Don't think it was a red for his foul, but he wasn't playing smart. Hurt the US.
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 04:14 PM
Clark's "tackle" was a red card in my book. He clubbed him right on the kneecap, that could have been a serious injury. The fact the player got up from it doesn't change it to a yellow. It was dangerous & it was late. Also look at the US players reaction...not a lot of complaining. Yes, Landycakes bellyached a little but he's a whiner anyway.

I agree about Dempsey, he's probably the best we got at that position but I wish he did more. Most of the time, he seems disinterested and more interested in scowling and making scary faces. Bradley did well. Gooch OK at times but inconsistant. Howard was tremendous. Jozy very good at times, very immature other times. And at his age, I wish he'd stay upright more, a 19 year old doesn't need to deverlop a rep as a diver. Earn some respect first, then you can dive
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 05:01 PM
nah dude, ricky was late that is true but that doesnt mean he went straight to hurt, he went just hard which is part of the game of soccer, whats next, soccer players are going to wear skirts too? i think the yellow was just messed up!

jozy is a good player, i didnt see any dive from him, that a clear penalty kick, it was a great move by him.

tim was the best player.
Posted By: ARichardsonSC Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 07:40 PM
so no one wants to stand up and blast the back line of the us??? shocking...

miserable from the back four. onyewu is an AVERAGE player at best without bocanegra beside him. never been a big carlos fan, but having seen a back 4 without him in it, he is easily the most important field player on the roster. bornstein and spector are a long way away from being able to compete in matches of that magnitude.

i still think the best back four you can have at this point is heyduk(when healthy), bocanegra(when healthy), onyewu, and beasley.

ive seen enough of feilhaber and clark. they dont have the technical ability to play outside of concacaf. id like to see adu in the brasil match, and how he'll handle (mentally) a game that fast/physical.

id like to see some people share their ideas of a starting XI for the next match.
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/16/09 09:32 PM
about just everybody in the States is average in the world stage, and the only reason they beat teams like El Salvador is bc they are a little bigger, once this countries realize that can use bigger people to challenge the US, then the USA would be in trouble even in ccc.

I think Altidore is the only hope, Sasha shows some skill someetimes but still too slow, Bradly is not bad but not that good either.

The defense is just slow.

With these high schools and soccer competition what else you think we gone get?

Im not sure if the club level is that great but the US is just not looking good vrs the Big Boys, kind of sad, watching Egypt putting up with Brazil and the US struggling vrs Italy.

I like Altidore but Donovan isnt gone get any better, lets hope for Sasha and Dempsey to finally step up.

Where is Torres?
Posted By: gunners04 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/17/09 02:04 PM
Wednesday
On ESPN2 10 a.m.: Spain v Iraq
2:25 p.m.: SA v New Zealand
Posted By: Mad River Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/17/09 05:46 PM
Who was the defender who almost tripped over himself on the second Italy goal when he tried to kick it out with his right foot instead of just sticking out his left? That was not pretty. Howard was good despite the score. And Rossi had quite a match.
onyewu
Posted By: hollywood Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 05:54 AM
Beasley should never play in the back...ever
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 02:27 PM
Quote:

Beasley should never play in the back...ever

Judging from the opening 20 minutes of the Brazil match, D. Beasley should not be in the starting XI - at any position!
Posted By: Ray Finkel Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 02:46 PM
been saying it for years...if Beasley is one of our best players, then we are still far behind!
Posted By: Kevin Roberts Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 02:55 PM
You are correct Beasley should be dropped from the national teams line up he brings absolute nothing to the table these days.. mistake after mistake and he is definately not a defender and he cant cut it at outside mid these days either Bob needs to drop him...

Team USA played absolute rubbish the first half they are giving these guys waaayyy too much respect no one is playing with any kind of heart whatsoever i cannot believe that these guys are playing for the national team and they are just going through the motions no one out there wants it.. at all

Bob need to tell them a few choice words at the break if they would only play they might be surprised what could happen... but they have to start playing some football try..

Play with some heart team USA.......aaaahhhhh
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 04:08 PM
You know a few years back on bigsoccer, i told about everybody that the best choice for the NT was Fabio Capello, who knows how Bradley got the job, I guess is too much "nationalistic" pride in here.

Im not againts an American Coach but the thing is, I havent met yet an American coach who has the psicology to battle vrs these "monsters" of world soccer.

It will take somebody at least like Kissman to go out and make something really happend.

Average soccer players, a coach who has never played soccer at the highest world stage level, I dont even know who Bob Bradley is, where did he play soccer and to be honest I dont really care, but if the point is to go out to international tournaments and embarrass yourself, I guess he is the perfect guy for the job.

Capello is taken already and we can only hope that after another embarrasing world cup the national federation makes a wiser choice.

Heck Mexico fired Hugo whos a former Real Madrid superstar, I dont see why you would want to keep bradley.

Its embarrasing, totally humilliating for American soccer.
it's not beasley fault for being in the line up or even in the player pool. coach bradley needs to go. he's out of his league.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 05:54 PM
Here's the issue............

You win the Concacaf and dominate, that the federation starts believing that theyre actuall progressing and then they go to a world tournament and get a rude awakening. Bradley needs to go, and if they make a move soon, they'll have time to get someone new and get the team ready for South Africa. Player progression is nonexistant, and the team LOOKS AND ACTS like they're outta their league
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 07:06 PM
yes bradly must go. like i say, american coaches just dont have the mind of a big boy.

first american coaches need to go to coach to europe and challenge themselves, then they could prob compete vrs them.

if anything I will like to see Wynalda on top of the NT, wynalda went to Germany and sucked it up to play in the big boys world, and he succed.

is about time for americans to take the world competition serious, the world cup is gone be embarrasing if you dont start taking care of it right now.
Posted By: Mad River Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 07:30 PM
Beaseley's embarrassing play led directly to Brazil's second goal. As least he sat the second half. Very hard to play catch up with 10 men after Klesjan's stupid challenge.

I know it wasn't Onyewu who waved at Italy's second goal. You must be a gamecock fan.
Posted By: nmbsoccer21 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 07:30 PM
ha beasley cant even control a ball, the second goal came off a corner in which donovan passed it to beasley who couldnt control it then Brazil with there speed ran past our whole defense and then robinho easily scored past tim howard...usa needs some big time training sessions and lots of work if we want to play more than 3 games in the 2010 world cup.
it's down-hill from here unless there's a coaching change. player's moral will/has drop especially those (torres, adu) that are getting past over for pt with beasley and sash getting in. why didn't torres and adu get in? did bradley even use his 3rd sub???????
Posted By: Eagle#7 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 09:04 PM
totally agree with you! I was thinking that Adu really could give the USA a good boost if he started. I don't understand bob bradleys mentality of putting these older players in. Youth is key.
Posted By: Kevin Roberts Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 09:17 PM
It is time for a change indeed Bob will go coach in the MLS and we will cry for another coach change in 3 years. football is a tough job but i feel the US MNT failure lies in recruiting the right players.
how many will egypt hang on the usa? bradley will be cut loose if it's a big win by egypt. will his players fight for him to keep his job?
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/18/09 11:25 PM
The U.S. should hire Brian McBride as the Head Coach.

If nothing else he could at least show the MNT how to lay it all on the line no matter the situation and could show them what a real team is supposed to play and act like.
Our guys need to try and do more than play in the MLS. We aren't getting enough good competition as a squad in club matches. 25 out of 54 pool players are from the MLS. One doesn't have a contract, according to the website. Some of these guys are subs for teams like the Rangers and others aren't even 2nd division players in their club.
from another blog and spot on with the usmnt troubles:

U.S. soccer needs a national team coach with a depth of experience which will not be found in any American coach. Jeurgen Klinsman was interviewed but did not get the job because he wanted more control of player development than the U.S. big-wigs were willing to relinquish. What they got with Bradley is a "yes-man." Until the "powers that be" let go of the reins and let someone else run the show, U.S. soccer will stagnate.
We are not finding and developing the best players, only the ones whose parents can shell out thousands of dollars for their kid to play in a youth premier program.
my thoughts, too on playing adu -

I saw this comment from a fan on Yahoo...and I could not agree more...

Say what you may about Freddy, but at least he is not scared to play the game the way it was meant to be played...FULL BORE, FULL ATTACK. Replace Bradley with a coach that recognizes skilled players and demands that they also be smart and aggressive.
Posted By: dhunter Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/21/09 08:41 PM
US 3 - 0 Egypt

What a game. They finally played with some heart. Back line really stepped up. Donovan worked hard the entire game. Some lucky breaks for the US; equals a win and amazingly advance to the semi's.
the soccer gods were looking out for the usmnt to get through to the semis w/2 losses and 1 win. the game with spain will be interesting.
Posted By: Fireant Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/23/09 01:00 PM
What time is the match with Spain tomorrow?
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/23/09 02:21 PM
Quote:

What time is the match with Spain tomorrow?

2:25 pm, Eastern time on ESPN and Univision. There's also twitter & a matchtracker. Brazil plays host South Africa in the other semifinal on Thursday, same time and TV channels.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_14942222.html
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/23/09 03:37 PM
Spain - Brazil will be a great matchup. Spain doesn't look as sharp as last summer, but they're still a great football team.
Posted By: Scarlet Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/23/09 04:38 PM
Another option is to view the game on your computer at espn360.com
Posted By: Coach P Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/23/09 05:36 PM
Quote:

Another option is to view the game on your computer at espn360.com

If your internet provider is affiliated with espn360.com.
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/24/09 04:30 AM
we are hoping the miracle, spain is too f.. strong and the only ones that can stop them right now are kaka and robinho.

if the US somehow wins, bb may get a chance to keep coaching.

If the US lose, is time to change the little guy and bring a big boy in. I think Schuster or Van Basten are great options, Klissman would be great too, the US cant be loosing games to Costa Rica, its humilliating for american soccer and for the country.

Lets hope for the miracle.
Posted By: Coach P Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/24/09 08:22 PM
USA 2-0 Spain FT - Unbelievable!
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/24/09 08:23 PM
UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!! U-S-A!!!
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/24/09 09:05 PM
Holy freaking cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout that underdog magic?!
Posted By: Scarlet Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/24/09 09:17 PM
WOW - I still can't believe it!!! I watched it and still don't know how they managed to shut out Spain who dominated play, mostly right in front of our goal. They pounded Howard who was up to it today. Also Onyewu cleared a lot of balls. Plus a red card, but luckily, near the end of the match. Not lucky though for Michael Bradley who now can't play in the final.
excellent effort and and even better result!!!!
incredible win for usmnt! dvr it (hopefully) and plan to watch tonight. too bad bradley got the red, i think he would have missed finals with a yellow.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 12:44 AM
Couldn't be any prouder of the team but most importantly the man who schemed it all..Bob Bradley. Too many unnecessary cries for him to get fired or resign and also the cry for a foreign coach...who said that would be the solution? Let Bob run out his term and do his work.Am sure the past 3 days will be some of his most memorable days. Again Kudos to him and his boys.To soccer fans,let the man run out his term and we can judge him then.Once again,great come back Bob!
Posted By: Mad River Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 02:37 AM
If you didn't record it there is a replay on ESPN2 at 11pm tonight. What a game. Guess we won't have a chance to watch Spain Brazil. Now if only South Africa can do the same.

Howard was a beast as was Onyewu.
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 04:21 AM
probably the most important win on the history of soccer in this country.

Im not sold on BB.

1. Spain played the worse game in the last 2 years, there is a reason why the are ranked number 1 in the world and they are the euro champos.

2. Torres, Chavi, and Pique had a horrible game.

3. Howards and Gooch were giants on the goal.

4. Donovan was going down to help the D and that was HUGE.

5. Davies is making a difference.

The most important player on the field was def Altidore, he only 19! I can see the next Drogba of American soccer, he is the real deal not mickey mouse freddy adu. I can see Altidore doing what none american has done so far, player for the great Real Madrid, he is just one of those big boys.

Spain underestimated the US but our players played a tremendous defensive game.

Im not sold on BB just yet, I can see him getting lucky in the world cup just like he has done it in this competition.

I tell you what, if is a US-Brazil game, I expect the boys to at least make an effort this time, if is a US-Sudafrica game, the US should win, why not?

A good game vrs Brazil or a win vs Sudafrica, if not, BB should go, getting luck in the world cup is not really my deal.
Posted By: Bazza Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 01:24 PM
Kudos to the US mens team. Maybe they'll get a bit more respect now. Great game by Tim Howard.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 02:06 PM
unsung heroes
DeMerit played huge
Spector - nailed down the right back for me

Onyewu - best game he has played
Bocanegra - was good to have back but still need the left back solidified

Donovan - wanted this game - reminiscent of the Portugal game

Bradley - I am a big fan of M Bradley when he is on he is huge

Clark - solid - need better communication with Bradley too many balls between midfield and D in Spain's play

Altidore needs to be bigger game time... fantastic goal because of what he did to Pique(I think)... was the first time I saw him fight instead of dropping to the ground which he has done too much for my taste. He is a big kid who will not get the calls he thinks he should get.

Dempsey - if he ever puts his mind to it he can be a big time player, not happy with his performance overall.

Davies - speed, speed, speed ... just scares the H... out of the defenders, and battling for the ball which we have not seen a forward do for a while. He merits more playing time.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 02:11 PM
I also don't buy the "Spain played the worst game ever"we have a tendency to forget that the opponent in the game gets a say in how you play.

Torres had some chances as well as other players, but the US closed down quickly and always seem to get a body on the ball. Did Spain dominate the ganme ...absolutely... but they could not penetrate. Did US get lucky to win... absolutely NOT... both goals were deserved goals. This is the game we love and sometimes you get some breaks. The US did exactly what it was supposed to do. Spain could not

notice the "could" in the statement.
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 02:53 PM
And to those who say Spain dominated...go back and watch the first half again. There are LONG stretches where we have the majority of possession and Spain is on their back foot. I'd say the half ended pretty even possession-wise. Of course, with a lead, we're going to sit back a little in the 2nd half and of course, Spain put it into another gear...that's what top teams can do. So yes, we were under tremendous pressure the final 20 minutes but let's no lose sight of the first 45'.

My only complaint (like we have a right to have one after beating Spain!) is I wish in the 2nd half, when we did have the ball, we had taken better care of it. We gave it away far too easily and made it much more difficult on ourselves. And we took our throw-ins and goal kicks much too quickly...we could have taken a lot of time off the clock not to mention given the players a chance to catch their breath.

But those are small things and frankly, how many times in the past have we had the chance to close down a game against a superior opponent when we had the lead? Not many....
it's soccer and as we all know and have experience, the better team does not always win. even a tie is viewed as a win for the underdog. spain is a stronger side but the usmnt did what it had to do, got an early goal, had the breaks and bounces to go their way, gave great effort (put 8 in the box) and got the win.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/25/09 08:58 PM
I like what Lou Holtz says... "You don't have to be the best team in the world, you just have to be the best team in the stadium on that day".
Posted By: Alma Merengue Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/27/09 03:21 PM
brazil is the only team that wont always dominate you and still beat you.

spain was making a difference bc of that not only they dominated every other team but they also finished well.

the US was lucky to be there in the first place, and they did a great game but that does not mean they gone do that every game. they have to be A LOT more consistent, anybody can have a great game on any day, now if you can do it on a consistent base, then is when you get respect.

Spain was sleeping, Torres was not on his day, so did Xavi and Pique and Puyol, Villa and Riera tried but it just didnt happend.

Honestly you think if the game was played again the US would win again? heck not, it wouldnt even be funny.

Now the US won and is time to celebrate but lets get go back to reality, you gone need more than a lucky game to beat brazil and I hope they do play like a real powerhouse, its about time! We've waited waayyy too long to see a competitive side in the world stage.

I hope the US comes up on top and who knows how they are going to do that, but if they dont at least they have to show the world that they can really play and the can really hang with the big dogs. If not, BB must go, i dont why you would want to have a coach who is not ready to win big games and big challenges. How much more time do we want to wait? Untill Japan and Australia become powerhouses and we still go to the world cup and come back with a 0-3 record?

I hope the US wins tomorrow, I really do, its time for soccer to get some real respect around the world. Maybe after that Jim Rome and Collin Cowherd would s.. the f... up.
Posted By: ussoccer11 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/27/09 03:34 PM
should BB use a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, i read he might use the 4-5-1 but i think the 4-4-2 has been the best formation so far. what does everyone think?
Posted By: dcut5 Re: confederations cup games on espn2 - 06/28/09 01:02 AM
4-4-2 go for it nothing to lose not expected to be here so go for it same passion as against spain. Go USA
© SC Soccer