SC Soccer
Posted By: Hurst66 Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/21/09 03:37 PM
More bodies, new faces
The (Rock Hill) Herald
August 20, 2009
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/256/story/1548623.html

Three South Carolina residents on the squad this year.
Posted By: gunners04 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/21/09 04:27 PM
Not much for halving 25 girls on the team but only dressing 18 for each game. What does that do for morale? I know it happens when there is travel (i.e. airline tickets for tournaments, etc) involved but for confer. games. Do other teams do this?
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/21/09 05:40 PM
There are soem very talented SC girls that are 10th and 11th graders. Would be nice to see a recruiting effort to keep some of them in state.
g04,

agree with you and hope the players knew before going in. will she need to bring another 12 for next season?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/23/09 08:08 PM
New seasons for Newmister, Tallant
The (Rock Hill) Herald
August 22, 2009
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1553242.html
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/23/09 08:13 PM
Lady Eagles fall to Davidson in season opener
The (Rock Hill) Herald
August 23, 2009
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1554092.html

Tiana Tallant
http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=17&type=player&id=1304

Rachel Newmister
http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=972&path=wsoc
Posted By: Import Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 11:46 AM
In most cases all the players will dress out for home games. Due to expenses, limited players that travel. The players do know it up front and need to fight for those travel spots, and they do change.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 01:32 PM
I agree with Big Daddy. Too many talented SC girls leave the state (especially from York county). Wouldn't Winthrop look better with Ashley Sheets, Newminster, Taylor Parker, Alex Ramsey, Abby McDonald, etc...?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 01:44 PM
cid,

I wouldn't give Winthrop a hard time on missing out on most of the girls you mention. Sheets is at West Point, that's an entirely different college experience. Parker and Ramsey are looking at big-time SEC schools, where the seats are full for college football and college basketball games. Newmister is all about the academic experience. If she were to stay in-state it probably would have been Furman.

Abbie McDonald (Fort Mill/Charlotte Soccer Academy) and Jordan Allen (Clover/CESA Premier), these are two York County seniors, who are playing in the R3PL, that Winthrop should probably be looking at.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 01:44 PM
You know, I hear from Winthrop people over and over on both the boys side and the girls side that in state kids don't want to play at Winthrop.

I don't agreee with that at all. I think kids want to be wanted. Winthrop is a good school, with very good facilities and its D1. Is it ACC or SEC? No. But its a D1 school.....and the vast majority of kids aren't going to go to an SEC/ACC school, at least as soccer players.

Some very, very good players went to C of C this year as freshman.....not exactly USC or Clemson or Wake.

If WInthrop wants these kids they need to identify them and go after them. Make sure that the kids know......that they're wanted. There are some pretty good York county girls who are juniors this year whose parents have flatout told me their kids want to go to Winthrop and they want to play. And they aren't totally sure that the Winthrop coaches know who they are or who their kids are. These are ODP, R3PL level players.....and their parents don't think the coaches know their kids.
Posted By: Import Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 04:10 PM
Winthrop men in particular don't seem to look at or acknowledge Carolina kids period. Their international flavor didn't show well against Wofford last week, which has 7 NC/SC on team.

Women do a little better job but not enough in my book. Talent pool in NC/SC good enough to have some players on both sides. Hopefully the CofC men's team can show the value. Hats off to Coach Lundy!
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/24/09 06:04 PM
Hurst.

Small schools often have great soccer programs.
Women - Portland
Men - Akron, Santa Clara, Irvine

All of those are "mid-majors" with highly ranked soccer programs. I think that not pursuing in-state talent is a huge mistake. Can you imagine how good Winthrop would have been with Parker, McDonald, Alex, Allen, Newminster, etc. Those girls grew up together and getting the chance to play together again at the college level is something kids dream of. And it would make them a better college program. if Winthrop could get the best SC players to stay and then supplement from outside, you could build a pretty good team (CofC just did it on the men's side with half of the DSC national title team. I think they will end up being a pretty good college team.)
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/25/09 12:54 AM
cid,
The five girls you mention basically grew up playing on four different club teams. They attend(ed) three different high schools. It's not congruent to Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Neville brothers coming up through the ManU system. Welcome to York County.

By the way, the University of Portland has five girls on their roster of 23 that are from the state of Oregon.
Posted By: scsoccermann Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/25/09 12:48 PM
I can tell you for a fact Winthrop has spoken with girls in SC. I also know the men's team has done the same and has to SC boys on the roster now. You must consider, does a kid that grew up near the college want to stay local or get away to school. Very few want to stay, most want the total college experience of going away to school. Also someone mentioned NC players. There are so many schools in the state of NC at all the various levels and once you cross the boarder the cost for a player goes way up. So in turn it would cost a coach more scholarship dollars to compete for NC players with NC schools.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/25/09 10:16 PM
the 5 playing for Portland, would still be 2 more that Winthrop has from SC. My argument would be that if you become good enough, the best will come whether or not you are only 10 minutes from home. I'll bet that most every girl in Oregon would go to Portland if they got that call. Withrop should make a more conscious (or PR in the media) move to get the best SC players or at least make everyone know they are trying.
Hurst, maybe the York high schools should get together, pull their resources, and get their kids to play together in SC. Probably could put together a State title contender. Just a thought!!!
Posted By: Import Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 11:59 AM
soccerman, don't forget the 12 int'l. players on the men's side and still doesn't guarantee a Big South championship or get them by 1st round of NCAA. Hmmmm...if that country doesn't pay for college then I guess a few of our tax dollars do.
Posted By: firsttouch Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 06:00 PM
Winthrop is a Div I soccer school, with nice facilities and solid academics. Their sales pitch should be to top SC players- you can come here, start immediately and play 4 years. That would be something that the bigger Div I schools, for most, will not offer. For those players used to starting and playing full games, the pitch would be attractive when compared to fighting for playing time against 9-11 top recruits at the larger D Is. Would it work in all cases, no. Would it work for some, probably. I'm not sure, on the women's side, what their sales pitch entails since I have not spoken to anyone who has been recruited by them. That, in itself, is a problem
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 07:20 PM
"I'm not sure, on the women's side, what their sales pitch entails since I have not spoken to anyone who has been recruited by them. That, in itself, is a problem "

Ouch!!

If firsttouch is who I think....Winthrop should have been at their house (in SC, not far from campus) as soon as legal to talk. Their experience is kind of the root of the problem....It's inconceivable.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 08:30 PM
I am with import... Winthrop shows no interest for SC players on the men's side
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 09:04 PM
Regarding number of SC residents playing at SC schools. Some facts......looking at rosters posted on school websites. Note......Clemson men don't list hometowns.

Men Woman Total
Winthrop 0 3 3
Coastal 7 3 10
C of C 17 7 24
Furman 3 3 6
USC 7 5 12
Clemson Unk 4 4+

Winthrop has 1 male player listed as SC......and he's not. Lived in SW Meck county and went to Olympic HS.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 10:58 PM
Daddy,

Of the six schools you list, Winthrop women are probably #6 in the pecking order as "school of choice" for female South Carolina high school players. The five other schools have a richer soccer history.

You could also make the arguement that Charleston Southern, Presbyterian College.....and even Wofford......could have recruiting advantages over Winthrop.

The talent pool in South Carolina is not large enough to provide Winthrop with what they need to be competitive in the Big South without looking out of state. At the current U-16 level (primarily high school sophomores), there are about 50 girls from CESA, Bridge and CUFC playing in the Region 3 Premier League. How many of these girls have what it takes to make the starting 11 for Winthrop. Remember, there are 6 - 8 schools in South Carolina that theoretically will get first shot at the cream of the crop.
Posted By: Always Right Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 11:10 PM
I was hoping my son would be recruited by Winthrop but unless you are a Yankee or foreigner it just won't happen in Rock Hill.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 11:25 PM
Hurst I don't see the facts or logic with which you're arguing. Its like this twisted self fulfilling prophecy...don't recruit kids from SC because they won't come here. Please.....

firsttouch laid it out perfectly. If you want the kids....go after them. When some of the better players in the state haven't even been talked to by the school.....ya think there's an issue?

And quite frankly I'm not sure what advantages the other schools have over Winthrop. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I'd guess.

Charleston Southern is a hideous campus thats not really in Charleston. Presbyterian is a good school and a beautiful campus but Clinton is a dying town in the middle of nowhere. Same with Wofford....except while the surrounding area of Sparkle City ain't a lot to brag about, it is better than Clinton. None of them...have been in Winthrop's league soccer wise over the last couple of years.

So academics, facilities, campus, community, soccer reputation......Winthrop shouldn't slide too far down the pecking order.

But the numbers speak and they don't lie. Winthrop has by far fewer instate players.....and its not really close.
Posted By: LadyVolDad Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/26/09 11:54 PM
This is an interesting discussion. I helped with the recruiting for our Augusta Arsenal and South Aiken girls. Several were interested in South Carolina schools including Winthrop. We had inquiries from many schools and contacted many others including Winthrop. We could not get a reply from Winthrop and a couple of girls could not get the time of day. I tried contacting them with no reply. As far as we could tell Winthrop did not ping the SoccerinCollege, Arsenal, or gotsoccer sites to look at the online info. I emailed player recruiting sheets with no reply and no notice that they were even read. Eventually we were told by other experienced coaches that Winthrop did not recruit from South Carolina. Four of the girls interested are now playing for Coastal Carolina, UNC-Ashville, PC, and Tennessee. All would like to have at least talked with Winthrop. They have one girl there now that wanted to go to school at Winthrop and who was fully capable of playing at that level but would not look at her. Too bad.
Posted By: scsoccermann Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 01:07 AM
Why can't you leave this issue alone. Winthrop women are one of the lowest programs in the state and I do not think girls from SC will improve their standings. I did look at rosters and I saw the women have 2 from SC and the men have 2 as well. I also noticed Clemson has 3 boys from SC on the roster and 4 girls on the women's roster. Perhaps you should be jumping on Clemson as well. As for the Winthrop men's team they have arguably been one of the top team in the state over the past 5 years or so. I know that coach Wren of Northwestern played for the coach at Winthrop, so don't you think some of those local players were recruited. I do know they talked with three players off Northwestern's team and they also recruited Ralph Lundy who decided to play for his father. Winthrop men did get burned a few years ago with two local players, that got in trouble and were suspended. I think every coach would like to have as many in-state players as possible on their roster, but in SC there is just not a large pool. It is getting better each year.

Also for crap and giggles I looked at Coastal's roster and they have 1 girl also USC only have a hand full on their roster from SC. You must have something against the Winthrop women's program.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 01:37 AM
Sorry Slim....the numbers I quoted came directly off of the rosters posted on each schools website. I did miss a kid from Summerville on the Winthrop mens roster. So they have 1 SC kid. Wylie Rea is from the Steele Creek area of Charlotte.....went to Olympic HS. Not Catawba, SC.

Can't compare Winthrop's numbers with anyone elses in this state. They are that bad. You want people to get off of it? Improve the numbers. There's a very strong class of junior girls in this state and I know several who would love to play at Winthrop. These are R3PL, ODP players. Recruit them.
Posted By: Import Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 11:41 AM
Hurst,
PC and Charleston Southern happen to be in same conference as Winthrop. Charleston So facilities below average, PC nice complex, as Winthrop. Winthrop close to Charlotte, nice campus, opportunity to start and play 4 yrs. Play good competition. Chance for NCAA's. I think I could recruit with that and land 3-4 solid SC players. Let's see how some of these players handle not getting significant playing time, etc. But I do need to back off a little regarding Winthrop women because I know she has pitched a few along with watching games. The men, never.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 12:25 PM
Winthrop is a beautiful school with great facilities and a very exciting D1 men's basketball program. Proximity to Charlotte is a plus and South Carolina climate is a great draw for recruiting girls from the north.

PC's advantage is school size and religious affiliation. Some South Carolina students (and parents) are more attracted to this environment. Wofford has a nice campus, a good academic reputation, and plays in a more competitive conference.

I'll agree. Winthrop can recruit on level terms with Wofford and PC, and may have competitive advantages over Charleston Southern. (Of course Winthrop can't claim that they are opening the college football season against the defending national champs.)
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 01:36 PM
"Of course Winthrop can't claim that they are opening the college football season against the defending national champs.) "

Yup.......I'm taking CSU and the 70+ points they're getting!! I just can't see Florida being able to cover that....unless Spurrier were still there.

Winthrop, being a state school....has a big advantage over PC, CSU, Wofford......cost. Even if those other schools are able to put together a package that covers 50-60% of the cost its still more than a lot of families can afford. Yes, some families will be drawn to the small, private school, religiously affiliated environment. But many will be unable to afford it.

And also to Import's point about laying off the WU women's program.....I see where the Winthrop woman's coach is acting as a college consultant/advisor to the girls end of things at Charlotte United. Good step.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 01:42 PM
One other point......

Charlotte Observer sports page had an article on the UNC football team and Butch Davis this morning. Talked about how important recruiting was......and that the cardinal rule of recruiting was that you had to win the battle in your own backyard first. UNC football roster over 50% NC kids.
Posted By: LadyVolDad Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 05:04 PM
No intention to offend. I wish nothing but the best for Winthrop, particularly their women's soccer program. It just always disappoints me when opportunities are missed and unrealized potential is not developed, especially with respect to SC players.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 05:32 PM
I think we are all pulling for the Winthrop women this year.

........except for Import.
what sc players come to mind that would help take wu program to the next level that are interested in attending wu? maybe sc isn't producing the "game changing" type players that wu is looking for to advanced the program. and the ones that could don't want to attend.

there are many strong players from sc that decide not to play in college.

is alex ramsey still playing? her dad use to be on here a bunch but has gone missing lately.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 06:11 PM
Alex is playing her last year at CSA in Charlotte. Her dad is as "Hard Headed" as ever.....

I am a little reluctant to name names in direct response to a question. But I think if you go back and read this thread and others similar.....you'll find what you are looking for.

My daughter played in the CAP program this past spring and one of the girls now a junior from YC and a very good player also played. Her mom told me that Winthrop was her daughters first choice.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 08/27/09 07:35 PM
letme put it to you.

That logic would work, but apparently the "game changing" type players that are currently being brought in aren't so "game changing". There are alot of girls who would probably consider it if they were just pursued a little. It is difficult to say who is interested if there is no attempt to recruit. I would have loved to go to a school within 100 miles of home, but none ever recruited me so I left the state and enjoyed kicking the crap out of those "home state schools" that I wasn't good enough for.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 09/08/09 02:21 AM
The (Rock Hill) Herald reported this weekend that York junior Devin Puckett (class of 2011) gave a verbal commitment to Winthrop.

http://www.heraldonline.com/256/story/1585152.html
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 09/08/09 03:38 PM
Fantastic!!!!!

Well done Devin and Winthrop!!!!
Posted By: dadofnumber2 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/01/09 11:42 PM
More problems for the women's program at Winthorp. Lost 1-0 to South Carolina State University last night!
Posted By: 2d1dad Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 12:41 AM
South Carolina State is no pushover...
Posted By: anyjones Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 12:54 AM
http://www.soccerratings.com/index.php?t...as_of_Sep._20th

Well they are ranked 309 out of 318.
Posted By: dadofnumber2 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 01:50 AM
True, but that ranking has not been updated. I just looked on the SCSU website and they are 6-4 and have beaten USC Upstate, Charleston Southern, Wofford and Winthorp in South Carolina.
Posted By: anyjones Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 01:58 AM
yes you are correct. I did not notice the date. But they are not going to jump that much with the weak schedule they play. I see winthrop is 3-5. Do they have off field problems, coach problem. They should win some games with their schedule.
Posted By: 202677 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 12:49 PM
Heinz has done a poor job of recruiting/attracting in-state talent. She should also be able to pull a decent amount of talent out of Charlotte area.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 01:22 PM
sc state is definitely no push over-the new coach is recruiting hard and making that program a winner. He was successful at belmont abbey and it seems the girl's are buying into his program. For winthrop, i am shocked heinz is not gone-she has never contended for anything in the big south, except one year. There were lots of stories about the problems with the girl's and the coach-look on their college forum, plenty of winthrop people talk about the sports programs up there...and last year there was lots of talk that heinz was not good with the girl's, the girl's did not like her, she held out seniors on senior night...they need a coach to coach that team, she should be able to recruit quailty players...winthrop should be contenders in the big south and not in the dumps!
Posted By: DormanSoccer Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 01:35 PM
SC State womens soccer coach Glad Bugariu has done a tremendous job on and off the field. He has only two South Carolina players on the roster. What is most amazing, he recruits California players - which is very hard to do with the options they have on the west coast. Coach Bugariu future looks bright and I would assume he will not be at SC State very long.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 05:02 PM
Regarding the coach at SC STATE, I don't know if he will jump ship too soon-he gets paid quite well at the school for coaching and to be honest not many other public university coaching stints will pay as well as he as a first year coach at the school. It is public viewing b.c it is a public university-i won't say how much it is but it is a large sum for women's soccer for a first year coach (not his first year ever coaching) at a school...so he may stick around and build the program unless he hates orangeburg and something really pops up!!! A friend of mine who works at STATE said he recruits juco players and such which has helped-but anyway you get them he is doing a great job and the team is not a pushover anymore like past years when you were guaranteed to win!!
Posted By: 202677 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/02/09 06:11 PM
keepersd2002 -- You got me thinking with the salary information. Here's what I dug up:

MEN
Clemson -- Phil Hindson, N/A
Coastal Carolina -- Shaun Docking, $67,043
College of Charleston -- Ralph Lundy, $81,027
Francis Marion -- Kevin Varndao, N/A
USC -- Mark Berson, $91,500
USC Upstate -- Greg Hooks, $50,500
Winthrop -- Rich Posipanko, $59,137

WOMEN
The Citadel -- Bob Winch, N/A
Clemson -- Hershey Strosberg, $75,750
Coastal Carolina -- Rohan Naraine, N/A
College of Charleston -- Kevin Denson, N/A
Francis Marion -- Joel Person, N/A
S.C. State -- Glad Bugariu, $50,500
USC -- Shelley Smith, $86,520
USC Upstate -- Kendall Reyes, N/A
Winthrop -- Melissa Heinz, N/A
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/03/09 09:28 PM
if the salaries are not available, then they are not getting paid $50,000 or more...salaries for the public to see are those $50,000 or more..
Posted By: Headball Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/21/09 01:36 PM
Is Coach Heinz in trouble if they don't qualify for the Big South tournament this year?
Posted By: scsoccermann Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/21/09 02:00 PM
If you ask any associated with that program, past or present they will all tell you she should have been gone years ago. AD either doesn't care or doesn't have the .... to do it. This program is a gold mine for waiting to explode for someone who knows what they are doing. I see where they are in the bottom 25-30 teams in the nation. This is embrassing for a good academic and athletic school like Winthrop.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/06/09 01:17 PM
#8 knocks off #1.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1729108.html

Lots of lower seeds taking down the higher seeds in the first round of the Women's Big South Conference Tournament!
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/06/09 02:40 PM
i guess she just saved herself a job possibly!!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/06/09 04:15 PM
All four lower seeds beat the four higher seeds in the quarter-finals of the Big South Tournament.

Talk about parity!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/07/09 02:47 PM
#8 Winthrop will play #7 High Point on Sunday for the Big South Tournament Championship and the right to represent the conference in the NCAA Tournament.

http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=17&type=story&id=6063

Go Lady Eagles.

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish".
Posted By: The Hammer Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/09/09 11:14 AM
High Point defeated Winthrop on penalty kicks (4:2) after 0:0 match to win the Big South Championship.

http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=17
Posted By: cid0000 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 12/02/09 01:46 PM
Heinz removed as head coach!!!! AD finally wakes up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/story/1781997.html
Posted By: Headball Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 01/22/10 01:22 PM
Any word on the head coach position? Phone interviews or on campus visits?
Posted By: UncleBuck Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 01/24/10 04:46 AM
Was told last week that their 2-3 weeks from bringing in coaches to interview.
Posted By: UncleBuck Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 01/24/10 04:51 AM
Winthrop and Coastal probably need to step it up. I think their hurting their recruiting.Although, it's probably not a big urgency for the schools because womens soccer is not a revenue generating sport.
Posted By: Headball Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 01/31/10 07:54 PM
Coach Heinz got the job at Valdosta State. New program.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 01/31/10 09:54 PM
Good to see she landed on her feet. Hate to see anybody out of work. Good luck to Coach Heinz at Valdosta State.
who is in the mix for the winthrop gig? and why so long to make a hire?
Posted By: dadofnumber2 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 03:45 AM
Winthrop University will name it's new women's soccer coach tommorow: Spencer smith the men's coach from Radford!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 01:03 PM
Spencer Smith bio.

http://www.radfordathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=48
Posted By: StevenLa Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 01:21 PM
The Georgia Soccer Forum is blowing up with the Winthrop job. I guess it was offered to Eric Faulconer from Armstrong Atlantic but he turned it down and now Smith will get it. Interesting move for Smith and choice for Winthrop.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/427574/
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 03:44 PM
That greek guy, Anonymous, sure posts a lot on the Georgia forum.
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 04:20 PM
i am so shocked they could not get anyone else, a guy from the big south who coach's a men's team who was so-so at that in the big south. I am shocked there were not D1 asst. coaches or D2 or D3 head coaches that wanted this job-maybe it does not have the tools for a successful program, i don't know...but this is a surprising hire; as coastal had 3 women in for it's head job and i am sure alot of inquiries...rock hill is right by charlotte-shocking!!!
will the new coach keep Brabson on staff?
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 06:26 PM
it is official-the radford men's coach is the winthrop women's coach..on their website
Posted By: StevenLa Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 02/09/10 06:48 PM
Is this a good hire? This coach has a sub .500 career winning percentage and he is supposed to rebuild this program? He also has never coached women.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/16/10 01:01 PM
Winthrop women's soccer announces their 2011 recruiting class:

http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=17&type=story&id=6424
Posted By: Import Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/16/10 01:26 PM
Looks like solid players but would have been nice to see a Carolina girl! Rumors have it the Winthrop Men's head coach in stands at Fort Mill/Rock Hill boys game last night for an extended period.
Posted By: The Hammer Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/16/10 02:57 PM
Quote:

Rumors have it the Winthrop Men's head coach in stands at Fort Mill/Rock Hill boys game last night for an extended period.

I can verify that both the Winthrop men's head coach and assistant coach were in attendance at the Palmetto Cup last week in Columbia.
Posted By: DeltaDog Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/22/10 07:22 AM
Quote:

Winthrop women's soccer announces their 2011 recruiting class

Hurst66, I believe this announcement is the 2010 class. Import, I understand Winthrop has at least one Carolina girl from your area of the state already committed for the 2011 class. However, it would have been nice to see at least one in the 2010 class as well.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/22/10 11:30 AM
Delta,

You are correct. It is the 2010's. My bad.
Posted By: Cesar Robles Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 04/22/10 01:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Winthrop women's soccer announces their 2011 recruiting class

Hurst66, I believe this announcement is the 2010 class. Import, I understand Winthrop has at least one Carolina girl from your area of the state already committed for the 2011 class. However, it would have been nice to see at least one in the 2010 class as well.

You are correct, Winthrop currently has former Northwestern Trojan and All-State selection Tiana Tallant on the roster.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer - 10/18/10 12:31 PM
Lady Eagles with two big wins this weekend, currently sitting in 3rd place in the Big South. Great turnaround. They are at last-place UNC-Asheville this Friday.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/10/18/2536987/lady-eagles-shut-out-keydets.html
Posted By: ghdfans2010 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/21/10 08:36 AM
http://www.ghddiscount.com/blog/top-10-sexiest-models-who-will-attract-your-attention/546.html
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/25/10 11:25 AM
Winthrop women with two more wins this weekend to move into a tie for first place in the Big South. The Lady Eagles host the conference's other first-place team, Charleston Southern, this Wednesday at 4 PM.

Current Big South standings:

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/standings/Standings.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4800&SPID=2022
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/27/10 11:04 AM
Leadership spike
The (Rock Hill) Herald
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/10/27/2562195/leadership-spike.html

New Winthrop women's soccer coach Spencer Smith is having a big impact on the Lady Eagles season.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/27/10 09:29 PM
Final.

Winthrop 1
Charleston Southern 0

Good job Lady Eagles!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/28/10 11:45 AM
After rough start to season, Eagles in first place after beating Bucs
The (Rock Hill) Herald
Thursday, October 28, 2010
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/10/28/2565676/after-rough-start-to-season-eagles.html
Posted By: Chick Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/31/10 12:43 AM
Coastal beats winthrop 1-0; they share the big south regular season championship...
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/31/10 09:50 AM
I think 5 teams share the championship
Posted By: keeepersd2002 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 10/31/10 11:27 PM
there were 5 teams that shared the big south championship for the firs time ever..
Winthrop got the #1 seed; Coastal got #3; and Charleston Southern got the #4

maybe one of them can come out on top and head the NCAA tourney
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Winthrop Women's Soccer Preview - 11/04/10 11:49 AM
Six Winthrop players, coach earn conference honors
The (Rock Hill) Herald
from Winthrop University
November 4, 2010

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/11/04/2585923/6-winthrop-players-coach-earn.html

Congratulations to Coach Spencer Smith and good luck this week to the Lady Eagles in the wide-open Big South Tournament.

All Big South Team listed at the bottom of article below:

http://www.winthropeagles.com/news/2010/11/3/WSOC_1103105435.aspx?path=wsoc
© SC Soccer