SC Soccer
Wes Knight, a former College of Charleston and Wren HS standout, was honored yesterday as one of three finalists for the USL-1 Rookie of the Year award. Knight signed with the Vancouver Whitecaps after a very successful MLS Combine. After a few offers from MLS and USL-1 teams, Knight decided that Vancouver would give him the best opportunity to play on a competitive team immediately. In 2008, the Whitecaps captured the USL-1 Championship defeating Puerto Rico. This year they again find themselves in the USL-1 Finals vs. Montreal.

Knight expressed, "It's an extremely exciting time for me to have been named a finalist for Rookie of the Year. It has been a tremendous adjustment from the college game and I'm proud to have been able to make an impact for the Whitecaps. As great as this honor is for me, it doesn't compare to the excitement that being in the finals brings. The team has peaked at the right time and we are confident to defend our title."

The Easley, South Carolina native was the USL-1's joint assist leader alongside Minnesota Thunder midfielder Ricardo Sanchez after recording eight assists in 29 regular season appearances for the Whitecaps. Knight was named to the league's Team of the Week on the three occasions during the season.

Wes Knight - Vancouver Whitecaps Bio
© SC Soccer