SC Soccer
Have you seen Henry's hanball in this game. The handball led to the french qualifying for the world Cup.

Things to consider
1- it was extra time and the Irish are up 1-0
2- He handled the ball twice see link 1
3- Number 17 was in an offside position when the ball was kicked, see link 2(59 seconds in the video) and clearly was the first french player playing the ball (see both links)
4 - Henry has admitted to handling the ball

link 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6LdNakzE

link 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=170HQZBeBXA&feature=related

Is it a foul if the ref doesn't see/ call it?
if they dont repeat the game, henry should not play the world cup.

i think is fair for the irish players that are going to have to watch the world cup at home, henry should join them.
GSDad... I have to say that it is very likely that nothing will happen to the result and France will be in South Africa. When you look at the incident many people point out the world cup qualifier in 2005 (see excerpt)
The Bahrain Vs Uzbekistan Incident

"Asian Football Confederation president Mohamed Bin Hammam has expressed regret over FIFA's decision to replay the Uzbekistan-Bahrain 2006 World Cup finals qualifier play-off.

FIFA ordered the match, which Uzbekistan won 1-0 on September 3 in Tashkent, to be replayed because of a "technical error" by Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida.

Yoshida ruled out a penalty scored by Server Djeparov because of encroachment in the area by a Uzbek team-mate but crucially did not allow them to retake the penalty and awarded a freekick to Bahrain.

"Uzbekistan had been penalised twice and the winning side had become the victims. It was an unfortunate and serious error by Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida," Hammam said in a statement."

"The Laws of the Game state.. The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final."

The main difference then it was an error of a technical call in a dead ball situation and 100% attributable to the referee.

Here on the other hand it was in the run ofplay and what you state becomes the truth. If you do not see it is it a foul?

3 billion people saw the hand of god in 1986 but the 3 that mattered did not. That call in my opinion was considerably more difficult.

In this specific case however, I believe the referee and particularly the AR should both be given sanctions. After all these are professionals and are paid to see these things. Two calls were missed in the same play that is inexcusable.

In the end, as the saying goes... you should never put yourself in a position where a call (or non call) determines the outcome of the game.

FIFA Reply to FIA replay request
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1137489.html#fifa+statement+fai+request
Why should Henry be punished??? Everyone reading this board would have done the same thing, especially if was the difference between going to the World Cup or not (this will probably be his last one). Reality is, this is no different then the flops that players take. He even admitted it was handled. The problem began with no offside being called. That would have fixed the whole problem.
Was Eduardo not punished "after the fact" for flopping a P/K

Should Henry not be punished for concealing a handball to score a goal?
why should be punished? any other play in that situation would do the exact same thing..its the world cup! you'll do what it takes to go. if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also.
"if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also. "

Eduardo was punished for the dive.......... my example.

Using the same "Deceiving the Ref" logic, should Henry?

I believe he should be.

Was Ms. Lambert punished after the fact when no foul was called?

The main difference is that Eduardo received a call for "simulating a foul", that can be overturned. Henry committed a foul, that wasn't called. it is that tricky "in the opinion of the referee" statement in the laws of the game. Everyone may disagree with the ref (Henry told him he did it), but "in the opinion of the ref"...
Snickle... Henry never told the referee he did it. He only admitted it AFTER the game was over (to an Irish player) AND only agreed that a replay should occur only after FIFA said no replay will occur.

And the statement of "in the opinion of the referee" needs to be reconsidered. There is widespread game fixing in europe due to referees, all they have to do is take advantage of a situation and state "in my opinion..." and it is done.

To me the game cannot be replayed, the pandora's box it opens will never be shut again. In such cases the responsibility lies with the player. And penalties to their pocketbook after the game is reviewed should occur. In the most idyllic of situations he should have fezzed up when it occurred. He made a choice, he will live with it.
And to expand on the statement "in the opinion of the referee". Just because he has an opinion it does not make him automatically right. But at the same time you cannot take the ability to make a decision whether right or wrong. A review of a contested goal seems to be in order. And in this particular case it would be to review if a hand ball had occurred the fact that the review would show an offside would be irrelevant.
And to keep the review to a minimum, if the play stands as call the captain of the team that made the request receives a yellow card.
Quote:

"if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also. "

Eduardo was punished for the dive.......... my example.

Using the same "Deceiving the Ref" logic, should Henry?

I believe he should be.

Was Ms. Lambert punished after the fact when no foul was called?

Lambert isn't a fair comparison for more than one reason:

1. She wasn't in a position to score
2. She repeatedly was trying to hurt players
3. Henry was not trying to physically injure someone.

I've seen "good" high school teams play with little to no integrity to win. I've also heard "good" high school coaches coach their teams on how to cheat and get away with it in order to win.
Off-side is the only missed call that matters. Henry is not importnat if that is called.
CID is correct. If offside is called, Henry is not in a position to use his hand. Don't penalyze Henry. the refs missed the offside.
The "opinion of the referee" is a huge problem even down to the high school level. How many times has a player been fouled with no call because they keep their feet and lose the ball? Then players get every call if they simply fall over. At what point do you tell a player to simply "let themself go" on contact? And when does that become a lack of "integrity"???
It really bothers me when people justify poor or illegal behaviour because "everyone else would do it." No, not everyone else would do it in that situation and should this really be the lesson we're teaching kids as they grow up? That they can do whatever they want, but only if they think "everyone else would do it"?

Yes, it was a high stakes game, but there are a lot of high stakes "games" in life. Is it okay to cheat on your test just so you can get into "x" college? Or lie on your resume to get that one job you really want? Anyone else in your position would do it...so it must be okay.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never do something like that intentionally and I certainly would not be able to handle myself well knowing I cheated to get where I was and that I'd potentially screwed someone more deserving out of the opportunity to do so. Any respect I may have had for Thierry Henry as an athlete is pretty much gone and I feel he's insulted the integrity of the game, just as I would with any player who blatantly cheats to get the outcome they want. That's not honestly playing for the love of the game; that's playing for the check at the end or the fame.

Incidentally, this event is something where a video review would have come in handy. Allow 1 challenge or review per team, per half of a questionable play that results in a goal. Play is already stopped, five minutes to check the video footage in a high stakes game is hardly much to ask for when you consider the aftermath of this game.

Anyway, sorry for the rant...this is just something that really gets to me in life, lol.
I agree kitten that we shouldn't tell kids it is OK to cheat, but I do think that a majority of people put into that situation would have done the same, intentionally or by instinct. How many time have you seen a player reach out to grab a ball? Happens all the time, but most of the time the ref calls it.
I do not think what he did is right, I just think that many people would do the same thing in that situation.
I've honestly only seen someone reach out and touch a ball in a purposeful manner once in my life and that was because the girl was on autopilot from a volleyball tournament that same weekend (absolutely hysterical to watch, she set the ball off a punt). Is it more frequent in mens'/boys' games?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnyf666z0s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o&feature=related

Any different? If you're going to get on Henry about it might as well bring in every person who has committed a handball for a goal... and Henry only got an assist
i hate cheaters. if anybody think henry should play the wc, then i have not respect for you. cheating is wrong and it should be punished with not mercy.

if i trained my whole life to play the biggest and best sport event in the planet, and all of a suddent bc somebody cheats everything i worked so hard for goes the the trash...

henry should not play the world cup, is my opinion, i think is fair.
Alma,

We all hate cheaters, but what exactly is cheating in soccer??? Obvious handballs, flopping, a shirt tug, a trip behind the ref, etc??? Every game players try to "gain an advantage" with things that are not in the "spirit of the game". What Henry did was horrible. But, what FIFA did was worse. They acknowledge the violation, but refused a replay. I have a hard time saying Henry shouldn't play when I can name a whole bunch of "floppers" (which is way more prevelant and a bigger problem) that shouldn't play in it either, C. Ronaldo and Drogba to start.
if you try to hurt somebody and you dont hurt him?

you get a yellow card or a red card.

if you hurt somebody and you dont get caught, let say you keep playing and the guy is hurt.

then at night you find out the guy has a broken leg and he will not play the world cup.

you think nothing should be done to you bc you didnt get caught?

i dont know about you but if i ever have children i will make sure that they are aware of the consequences when they cheat, when they dont to the right thing.

i guess i was raised old school by my salvadoran grand father.

he used to tell me this story.

"we had a president who killed his son."

the president was part of the military, and in those days if you did something wrong you were penalized with a death penalty.

his son did something wrong.

the president ordered to follow the law...

to me, is fair for henry not to play the world cup unless they repeat the game, fifa, the ref and henry are an embarrasment for the sport.
© SC Soccer