SC Soccer
Posted By: Anonymous USA-Costa Rica - 10/12/05 04:54 AM
why isn't anyone talking about that??

*I'm from Mexico, if I were from America I'ld be at least making excuses for the A** woop they got, just like I do for Mexico.
Posted By: futbol09 Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 06:09 PM
I saw the game tell me that didnt happen! And no im not American I'm Mexican. I'll talk about when Mexico losses. But why is no one talking about this loss the US had?
Posted By: lurker Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 06:47 PM
No one's talking about it because Arena and the team treated it like a scrimmage game. It seems that the main objective was to get a look at some new players before settling into a more set roster for next year. I've had several discussions with co-workers about who looked good and who didn't, but not in the context of winning or losing the game. In fact, Wednesday's game against Panama will have an even less experienced squad, and no one's complaining about that.

That's one of the big differences between US soccer and the rest of the world. England and Poland are playing an inconsequential qualifier this week, and I'll bet that both those teams are fielding the best they have (excluding the injured and suspended). A poor showing, even if it means nothing but pride, will bring down the scorn of the press and the fans.

Bruce Arena has the best gig in international sports. He's coaching a top 10 team (at least according to FIFA rankings), and no one complains when they lose. In fact, we're gleefully surprised when they do well.
Posted By: futbol09 Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 07:03 PM
Did you see the Mexico vs. Guatemala game? Mexico had a lot of unexperienced players too! They maybe had a few players that were really really good but still they had the game! I also have to say the Carlos Ruiz from FC Dallas is a great player! I thought in the beginning of the game he was going to change the whole entire game for Guatemala.
Posted By: 2004striker Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 07:07 PM
Good report on USA/Costa Rica game. Obviously Coach Arena and team did not put out much effort:
http://www.cybersoccernews.com/usmen/051008us-cr.shtml
Posted By: ChuckNorris Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 07:34 PM
I watched the match sporadically, seemed that when I was watching the US was controlling the play, but I would turn away, come back and BAM CR goal! Seems there must have been alot of counter plays by CR, which shows the lack of depth at our defensive positions. And that Keeper we had in!? Not sure what to think of him, never saw a shot on him, but they had 3 goals, anybody know the shot/save stat?
Posted By: futbol09 Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 07:45 PM
Wow seems to me that the US had a few unexperienced playerd huh? Seems to me that they couldn't get a good game from the weather! And its been a while that they have one to costa rica! so explain to me lurker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/11/05 07:53 PM
To me it looked like Howard didnt have a chance with any of the goals. Of the last two, one went in off the post, the other was a goal of the season conteding volley from 30 yards that went in to the top corner off the underside of the bar.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/12/05 02:59 PM
Tremendous goal. Jose is right, definite candidate for goal of the year.

As for the result, Tim Howard's not happy but...who cares? We are already in. ;>)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/13/05 04:41 AM
Well, so you guys are telling me that the USNT will try to get to the Final, or at least to the semifinal(as the directives of US Soccer say) with that core of 11 or 13 players???

In the game vs. Guatemala, Mexico didn't aligned but 2 players that had previously played some time with the NT. Out of those two, one is a regular starting player with the NT.

I think that this tells you the -quality- dept of each team.
Posted By: lurker Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/12/05 09:19 PM
Neither the US / Costa Rica game nor the Mexico / Guatemala game were indicative of how these teams will look in Germany next year. In both cases, the coaches used those games to look at potential prospects, not at the likely starters. The US started 3 players against CR that also started against Mexico (Onyewu, Lewis and Beasley). Mexico started 3 players against Guatemala that also started against the US (Rodriguez, Torrado and Fonseca).

What this may mean is that Mexico has better depth in their talent pool. However, depth on the bench rarely translates to success in the World Cup. The starting 11 make the big difference, and for the most part, they are not playing this week.

Once again, I think the politics of the national organizations comes into play. The US coach knew that he could risk losing a game and his job is secure. The Mexican coach has been under a lot of pressure lately (especially after the US game), and really needs to win the last two qualifiers, or he may be watching the World Cup on TV. That has to affect the way the team is selected, and the way the team plays.

I'm not going to proclaim that the US will be doing anything spectacular at the next WC. But to put it in recent perspective, the US and Mexico split a pair of games this year using rosters that will likely be very close to the teams playing in Germany. And it's that level of competition and parity that makes it fun to watch.
Posted By: Lowerstate4A Re: USA-Costa Rica - 10/13/05 02:13 AM
First of all, as I discussed at some point last year on this board, it is extremely difficult to run a back 3 in international soccer. There is just too much space to cover and too much 1v1 defending. Arena tried to play a back 3 for whatever reason. However, tonight against Panama, the US was back in their customary back 4. and even with 3 inexperienced backs, they looked much better. More organized at least

Secondly, how many players that played in that match will make the final roster and contribute significantly. I think Howard will be the back up GK, thus not seeing the field at the WC. all 3 backs will be there and Pope and Oneywu could possibly be the 2 starting CBs. Beasley will probably start. Eddie Lewis will most likely make the final roster, but contribute how much remains to be seen. There has been talk of moving him to a left back, buy why not play him at LB in a 4 back system in CR? Not really sure. Maestroeni has a chance to make the squad, but probably will be in a reserve role, coming on when we have a lead. Convey has a shot, but by no means has a spot locked. Just my thoughts on that.

Plus CR brought their A team. Wanchope has been a quality forward in CONCACAF for many years. As Lurker said, Arena was more concerned about the performance of certain players than he was at winning the game. By the way, the US is now 0-6-1 in CR, so its not a game that they normally win.

Lets talk about how the USA just won the group. How about that?
© SC Soccer