SC Soccer
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter USA WC Roster - 05/02/06 11:23 PM
UNITED STATES 2006 FIFA WORLD CUP ROSTER BY POSITION (All-time World Cup Roster Selections)

Goalkeepers (3):
Marcus Hahnemann (2006)
Tim Howard (2006)
Kasey Keller (1990, 1998, 2002, 2006)

Defenders (8):
Carlos Bocanegra (2006)
Steve Cherundolo (2002, 2006)
Jimmy Conrad (2006)
Cory Gibbs (2006)
Frankie Hejduk (1998, 2002, 2006)
Eddie Lewis (2002, 2006)
Oguchi Onyewu (2006)
Eddie Pope (1998, 2002, 2006)

Midfielders (8):
DaMarcus Beasley (2002, 2006)
Bobby Convey (2006)
Clint Dempsey (2006)
Landon Donovan (2002, 2006)
Pablo Mastroeni (2002, 2006)
John O’Brien (2002, 2006)
Ben Olsen (2006)
Claudio Reyna (1994, 1998, 2002, 2006)

Forwards (4):
Brian Ching (2006)
Eddie Johnson (2006)
Brian McBride (1998, 2002, 2006)
Josh Wolff (2002, 2006)

What comes as a surprise to me:
Ching over Twellemen, i guess Bruce really wants size for this world cup because other teams are typically alot bigger than the USA.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 10:51 AM
That is a big surprise. Other than that, business as usual.
Posted By: shut^&play Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 04:03 AM
that's terrible

Twelleman produced every game he played for the USA. Ching sat the pine and did nothing.
Posted By: Billy Bright Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 04:21 AM
What, No Adu?
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 04:25 AM
He played in what, one match, and got carded for diving as soon as he got in. He'll have to wait until 2010.
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 05:59 PM
All the talk regarding forwards is revolving around Ching over Twelleman. I must be the only person who fails to understand what Wolff brings to the table. I don't get his selection.

And I also think taking only 4 forwards seems a bit thin to me. Defense wins championships but offense wins games. We're putting a lot of expectations and pressure to score on a very small group of players. Only 1 injury or suspension leaves us with almost no options. I would sacrifice one of the defender slots to bring a 5th striker. Defenders rarely get subbed out while forwards do need backup.
Posted By: Loc Dog Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 07:24 PM
Donavan will play up top some. So That does give us 5 strikers. I would almost expect Donavan to start up top in the first match. thats the great thing about our midfielders. most can play multiple positions if need be. Obrien, Reyna, and Mastro can play in the back if necessary. Donavan can play up top. Convey has even played some matches in the back. very versatilve group.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 07:33 PM
Most teams play a 4-4-2, including Arena, so my only thought is that either FIFA dictates how many at each position or he picked twice as many players as the position can start.

4 x 2 = 8
4 x 2 = 8
2 x 4 = 4
Posted By: maj17neb Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 07:59 PM
in a vein of humor, I think Arena should've gone joga bonito and put in for a 1-1-8 formation.
kidding aside, overall I'm a little confused on the strikers. don't we have any other good options (besides the aforementioned twelleman)?
Posted By: ghssoccer10 Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 08:39 PM
i think the foward position is the position the USA has the least depth in
Posted By: AirMaddox Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 10:27 PM
just saw on soccernet that chris albright has replaced frankie hejduk, since hejduk now has a torn acl! that definitely sucks since i haven't been impressed at all by albright. it seems he takes way too many chances in the mls, and who knows what will happen in germany.

soccer watcher, i agree with you totally about josh wolff. i remember saying something earlier about him on this site. in the last 3 games ive seen him play (Japan, Guatemala, Jamaica), he has missed several opportunities! also i thought ching over twellman was a toss up...wouldnt be surprised by either selection
Posted By: Bigsby, Clayton Re: USA WC Roster - 05/03/06 11:39 PM
wow albright is terrible
Posted By: ghssoccer10 Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 12:38 AM
i like albright's ability in the air on set plays
Posted By: cap'n walt Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 02:01 AM
even though i like the carolina players..i dont agree on wolf
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 02:36 AM
That is horrible news Hejduk was my favorite player on the WC squad
Posted By: Loc Dog Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 04:02 AM
hejduk was awful. you must not like quality soccer
Posted By: AirMaddox Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 04:53 AM
he was better than albright!?!?!
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: USA WC Roster - 05/04/06 12:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Whiskey & Easy:
Most teams play a 4-4-2, including Arena, so my only thought is that either FIFA dictates how many at each position or he picked twice as many players as the position can start.

4 x 2 = 8
4 x 2 = 8
2 x 4 = 4

The only FIFA requirement is that there must be 3 GK's.

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/eu/fifa/regen.pdf (pages 33-34)
Posted By: Theballisinthenet Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 12:55 AM
where are the other teams rosters posted like England, Brazil, etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 01:21 AM
ching sucks!!! what was bruce thinking??? twellman is so much better than ching!!!
Posted By: goals66 Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 01:33 AM
wish twellman was going also.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 02:03 AM
Hedjuk may not have been the most skilled player on the US WC team but, in my opinion, he left everything on the field in every game he ever played in his life. He always gets all over the field and has more spunk than any other player on that team does.

It is easy for everyone to critazice Bruce about his decisions (I do too, dont understand the whole Ching thing), but Bruce knows his stuff. If he picked Ching over Twelleman he must see something in him. In my opinion I think Bruce thought he needed more size up top. And he really did not take Ching over Twelleman he took Wolff over Twelleman...

2 big fowards....2 small fowards...
Posted By: AirMaddox Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 10:35 PM
i totally agree, ching is better than wolff!
Posted By: kdlsc Re: USA WC Roster - 05/08/06 11:55 PM
Kenny Cooper is better than Ching, Wolfe and Twellman. At least there is no real shot at Albright getting playing time. I'm afraid if Heydude went to Germany he would have been this rounds Agoos (that means playing when he shouldn't and making big mistakes).
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: USA WC Roster - 05/09/06 04:01 AM
Now why did you have to bring Agoos into this? You must not have a good appreciation for the skills required to be a WC class fullback. Everyone jumped on Agoos because he went and covered for his teammate who was out of position, stretched to reach a ball and deflected it into his own goal. I guess he shouldn't have tried, his teammate didn't and you don't see people telling him he played poorly.

I'm guessing you didn't see much of the US games in France (there were only 3). Only one US player showed up for that tournament and his name was Hejduk. If the US could bottle his drive/desire you couldn't stop us. He may not have the greatest skills of a marking back, but I certainly wouldn't want to go against him. When I read he was hurt my first thought was there goes all the energy out of the back line. Now the other teams won't be concerned about the US attacking from the back.

Yupp, you can probably tell - two of my favorite US players.

Another ... Josh Wolff - tell me you didn't see his effort in the 2002 WC? I hope he regains form. I enjoyed watching him play at USC.
Posted By: kdlsc Re: USA WC Roster - 05/09/06 10:47 AM
US soccer needs to move past just drive and desire and add skill into the mix. Last time I checked, France was 8 years ago and players lose fitness, even Heydude. Add to that, he is has the tendancy for stupid tackles that could result in a red. As for Agoos, I have seen him make way too many mistakes. You can't mention his name without taking me back to RFK and the Jamaica WCQ. Crappy back pass. Goal to the Reggae Boyz.
I like Wolfe as well. He should have started over Cletus in 02. But if the US has to rely on Wolfe or Ching, we are in trouble. Cooper is an ox and probably better with the ball at his feet than Wolfe.
Posted By: maj17neb Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 04:20 AM
theball,
I think finalized rosters are required by the 15th (May). I've found a couple provisional ones (Dutch, Costa Rica, Brasil) on fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: USA WC Roster - 05/09/06 11:35 PM
In Bruce we trust
Posted By: mk#11 Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 01:08 AM
If anyone watched the qualifiers you know hejduk was a beast in the air...gonna miss that in Germany.
Twellman has no right on the final squad, and Ching showed some bright moments in the last qualifier if he can just put them away there's no doubt he'll be a big help.

Now is it just me or am I the only one that thinks he's better than Claudio Reyna? How bad WAS he in 02? Maybe this year's different, I sure hope so.

Josh Wolff...not very consistent but he has the ability to put one or two in the net out of nowhere; besides he went to USC, how could you not want him on the squad?
Posted By: kdlsc Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 12:31 PM
I'm lost. WHo is better than Claudio?

And do you really think we will miss the 5 foot 8 inch Heydude against the big Italians and Czechs? If we were counting on him to win balls in the air, we are really in trouble.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 02:12 PM
Reyna has captained his English Premier team. Enough said.

Twellman scores in bunches, but Bruce likes Wolff's poise. I played against Wolff...if you count getting crossed over and blown past "playing". Ching is the equivalent of McBride's clipboard holder. Four forwards, two types.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 05:40 PM
so..I should play on the MNT cause I could cross you over and blow past you? Thanks.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 05:59 PM
Yeah, that's a good one seeing how I didn't make the correlation between him crossing me over and the MNT! How does it go? Oh yeah, I remember. Thanks
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 06:24 PM
Okay! You got me! I just wanted to flirt a little..JEEZZZ!

Have fun with your stupid WC Roster! ALONE!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 06:39 PM
We ARE having fun without you, so there. Wolff here. He's got a message for you. What? What's that Josh? "SHUT UP!" Ha, Ha yeah, Josh! You tell him! We're going down to Sonic now to pick up chicks. Later, Dud.

(peeling of imaginary corvette tires and imaginary friend laughing along side me)
Posted By: Coach Young Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 06:39 PM
Ahhhhhh how did I get so lame...my life is a joke.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: USA WC Roster - 05/10/06 06:44 PM
Well..it's a pretty funny one. I laughed her in the middle of the library.

Congratulations on being Wolff's 864 ho bag though..I'm sure the friends and family are proud.

As for me.. I'll eat my extra long cheese coney alone..with no added imagery. Best of luck to you sir.
Posted By: Theballisinthenet Re: USA WC Roster - 05/17/06 09:32 PM
disappointments on the roster indeed by the way thanks maj17
© SC Soccer