SC Soccer
Posted By: Kyle Heise 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/07/07 12:54 PM
Some nice previews on the Gold Cup, which begins tonight for the United States vs. Guatemala.

U.S. Soccer Federation
http://www.ussoccer.com/

FOX Soccer
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer

ESPN Soccernet
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=us&cc=5901
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 11:54 AM
6/7/07
United States 1-0 Guatemala
Carson, CA

Good win for the U.S.! Furman product Clint Dempsey scored the game-winning goal in the 26th minute and former Clemson standout Oguchi "Gooch" Onyewu received two yellow cards that led to his ejection in the second half after Guatemala turned the match into a brawl.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_753666.html
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 04:37 PM
Didnt Guatemala play the US the same way last match?? Dunno bout turning the game into a brawl, jsut a very hard game where The Guatemalans were obviously trying to get in the American's head.As for Mr. Onyewu, that second card was well obvious. But still good game by US and nice win.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 05:28 PM
Quote:

Didnt Guatemala play the US the same way last match?? Dunno bout turning the game into a brawl, jsut a very hard game where The Guatemalans were obviously trying to get in the American's head.As for Mr. Onyewu, that second card was well obvious. But still good game by US and nice win.

Personally, I don't like watching Guatemala play. They are outmanned in skill and ability, so they make up for it with thug-like tactics. If it was a "blue collar" workman-like attitude, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they can't operate that way apparently. Read more from a view point I agree with wholeheartedly.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=437430&root=us&cc=5901
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 05:59 PM
Ditto, Kyle.

Ugly soccer team.

"These are CONCACAF matches against tough, hardscrabble squads who often consider gamesmanship something of an art."

That's being about as diplomatic as humanly possible.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 07:07 PM
I thought that Guatemala got away with a lot of fouls and the US got called on the small stuff. Onyewu's first card was weak, but I thought the second was obvious and was a poor descision to foul like he did. He did not have a good game.

I liked Demsey's goal, but Twellman was the workhorse who made it happen. He really should have finished that header from the nice send in from Donovan though...

I haven't seen Eddie Johnson play in a while and was excited to finally get to see him, but I was dissappointed as he looked really passive and really never got into the game. Hopefully he will do better next game.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 07:55 PM
Well, i wasn't in any way defending Guatemala's style of play against the U.S. Sorry if i came off that way. My point was that, although it is dirty, don't know if it's thug-like, but Guatemala has given the US a hard time. I still believe the US is going to win this tournament, although im rooting for those Guadeloupe boyz!!!!!!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 08:53 PM
Canada, with a lite international schedule, pulled out the W. And what about El Savador? Weird times!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/08/07 08:58 PM
I agree floriday!!! All we need is for Cuba to beat or tie with mexico and i will become a believer. Still can't seem to figure out how some people have or had Haiti as favorites. Go Guadeloupe!!!!!
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/09/07 04:04 AM
As much as most of you probably know 90% of my posts are of the US National Team. But do to the fact I cannot get any of the games on my shitty tv stations, I will be boycotting the Gold Cup..

GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF YOU
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/09/07 01:21 PM
what channel are the games on?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/09/07 03:00 PM
The only way you can see ALL the Gold Cup games is thru Telefutura, Univision, and Galavision, which are all spanish stations. Fox Soccer Channel only passes the US games and the final. So if you have these three spanish stations n dont mind being lost in translation for 90 minutes.........then these are the channels to watch all the matches live
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 01:40 AM
Highlight of today's T&T-US match was at the 51st minute, when the camera panned the crowd and showed a guy using his long plastic horn as a funnel, and his buddy filling up the wide end with Budweisers!
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 12:18 PM
U.S. advances to Gold Cup quarterfinals
By ANDREW DALTON, Associated Press Writer

The U.S. soccer team keep on winning, even though the Americans are not impressing. Despite a depleted defense and a tepid offense, the United States advanced to the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Gold Cup with a 2-0 victory Saturday over Trinidad and Tobago.

Brian Ching scored in the first half and Landon Donovan became the U.S. career points leader when he fed Eddie Johnson for a second-half goal.

"I'm disappointed at the team," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "We had good chances, and I think we had opportunities to score two more goals."

Ching scored his fifth international goal in the 29th minute off a long pass from Justin Mapp, and Johnson doubled the lead in the 54th, scoring his 10th goal for the United States and his first since Feb. 19, 2006. Donovan got his 25th assist to go along with 30 international goals, and with 85 points he moved one ahead of Eric Wynalda for the career lead.

The United States improved to 6-0-1 since Bradley replaced Bruce Arena as coach and remained unbeaten in 21 group-play games in the Gold Cup, the championship of soccer's North and Central American and Caribbean region. The Americans are seeking their second straight Gold Cup title and a berth in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup.

Kasey Keller played his 99th international game, one short of Tony Meola's record for U.S. goalkeepers, and got his 47th shutout.

Keller often barked at the defense, missing some of its mainstays. While the Americans never appeared in danger of losing, they appeared flustered and unorganized late in the first half, giving Trinidad and Tobago several scoring chances.

Trinidad, coming off its first World Cup appearance last year, lost to El Salvador in its Gold Cup opener and remained winless in the tournament since 2000. It plays Guatemala on Tuesday.

The Americans, who finish the opening round Tuesday against El Salvador at Foxborough, Mass., used 10 different starters from Thursday's opening 1-0 win over Guatemala. Midfielder Benny Feilhaber was the lone holdover.

Mapp was in the far left corner when he sent the ball under the feet of a charging Ching, who skipped it into the goal. The 29-year-old Hawaiian, who plays for the Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo, converted after missing on several tantalizing chances earlier, including a pair of one-on-ones against goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams.

"When I come to the national team I know and understand my role," Ching said. "I think I try to combine well with guys, set guys up and kind of be a big bruiser up front."

Donovan, who entered at the start of the second half, created the goal after taking a long pass from Ching that left him with Johnson in the center for a two-on-one. Donovan crossed the ball, and Johnson scored easily.

"Landon is a versatile player. And every game is different," Bradley said. "And the ability to use him in different ways to ensure that we find him in good spots is important. That is a great thing from such a talented player and that's why he has such respect from everyone inside the team."

Johnson, coming off a pair of three-goal games for MLS's Kansas City Wizards, came out in the 71st minute with a mild knee strain.

The United States has secured a quarterfinal spot, but has not yet clinched first place in its group, leaving that as a goal in Tuesday's game against El Salvador.

"We have to make sure we do it right as we move to the quarterfinals," Bradley said. "We have to get at least a point to get to the top of our group."

Saturday's reported sellout crowd of 27,000 was largely due to Guatemala's 1-0 victory over El Salvador earlier in the day, but the United States had a majority of the Southern California fans pulling for it, a rarity in a tournament that features mostly Latin American teams that are extremely popular in the region.
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 03:39 PM
Anyone notice the terrible sideline official? He called several offsides that were clearly onsides. Where do they get these guys?
Posted By: Coach Tim Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 05:20 PM
Yeah same official on all of the bad calls. Notice that on the other side the AR was doing a much better job. The left/far side official even goofed up two T&T breakways.
What made it worst was the "offsides player" was eclipsed by the defender in about 4 of the 6 bad calls. That should be easy to see from his viewpoint. He even put himself in perfect position everytime.
The only excuse I can think of is the crowd noise prevented him from hearing the strike of the ball. It was a bad case of the official getting too involved.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 05:50 PM
Yeah that side ref made some very bad calls on both sides of the field. I think he refd some of the high school games around here. But seriously, USA looked much better today and now they can focus on the next round, bcuz i dont think El Salvador will give them that hard a fight. But what about those Guadeloupe boys beating Canada and in 1st place in group A??? Show them boys some luv!!!!!!
Posted By: The Hammer Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/10/07 08:44 PM
Quote:

Anyone notice the terrible sideline official? He called several offsides that were clearly onsides. Where do they get these guys?

Just typical officials IMO, no matter the level. They all suck on a regular basis!
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/11/07 04:25 AM
Anybody happen to be going to Chicago for the Final?
Posted By: Pep Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/11/07 04:50 AM
That sideline official was terrible. He didn't make questionable calls, he made the absolute wrong calls! I guess that's just the way the ball bounces sometimes! Good win for the USA though!
Posted By: MPSCplayer73 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/11/07 05:41 AM
yes I also spotted the fan using a horn as a funnel very good thinking lol
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 12:14 PM
Quote:

come from the sc high school league
Posted By: 202677 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 02:19 PM
ooooooooohhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh that's a good one!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 03:41 PM
LMAO!!!!! N he's right too
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 03:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

come from the sc high school league

complete w/online certification!
Posted By: Steve Brown Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 05:48 PM
Was he older, overweight with poor eyesight, constantly out of position to make a call...he probably aced the SCHSL officials certification program...
Posted By: Pep Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 08:48 PM
Steady now guys. They aren't that bad!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 08:55 PM
Quote:

Steady now guys. They aren't that bad!

if that is what you really think ,then you must be one of them!!!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 09:34 PM
Come on Truth, as long as it wasn't you!!!
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/12/07 11:57 PM
Great first half by the U.S.

D. Beasley and L. Donovan put the Americans ahead 2-0 at intermission! Go USA!
Posted By: soccer19 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/13/07 01:17 AM
Final:
US - 4
El Salvador - 0

DaMarcus Beasley (34)
Landon Donovan (pen 45)
Taylor Twellman (73)
DaMarcus Beasley (89)
Posted By: Pep Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/13/07 03:29 AM
Haha I am definitely not an official guys.

But the USA game was quality. Beasley should have finished those 2 great looks he had in the 1st half, just unfortunate. Good job guys!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/13/07 08:12 PM
Yeah nice wipping they put on El SAlvador. TEam loked real good. Im sure now that the US is going to win this tournament now, being that Mexico is playing poorly. BUt watch out for Guadeloupe cuz they're gonna be there till the end!!!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/14/07 02:14 PM
I'm glad to see Taylor getting some playing time after being in exodus last couple of years. Anybody seen the formation they've been playing?
Posted By: Pep Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/14/07 05:17 PM
Yeah, the game against El Salvador was sort of a 4-5-1. Dempsey up top and Donovan and Beasley withdrawn some, attacking mids kind of. I loved the formation, thought it was a perfect fit. I would love to see Eddie Johnson up top!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/18/07 10:08 PM
So now that the semifinals are here, what are those that are even interested in this "tournament" (sponsored by the SCHSL referees) picks. I say USA beats Canada 3-2 and Guadeloupe (which i have been saying all along will win) will upset Mexico 2-1.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/19/07 01:37 AM
Ok I cant be quite about this any longer....

USA 2
CAN 1
(BLAME CANADA!!!)

GUA 0
MEX 1

And the Final:
USA 2
MEX 0
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/19/07 01:37 AM
^^^^^Hey that was #400^^^^^
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/19/07 01:53 AM
400? That was four years ago!

Impressed with Canada, initially disappointed with Mexico, but they seem back to it.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/19/07 02:47 PM
DWAYNE!!!

Gotta mark him well.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/19/07 04:13 PM
^^^^^^ Yeah ur right about that. He is a beast. But i'm about ready for this tournament to end. Counting down to the Copa America already. N i dont htink Mexico is still playing up to their potential. Everything they are weak on in defense is Guadeloupe's strenght (speed and headers).
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 02:46 AM
I certainly hope that the U.S. can pull off the semifinal vs. the Canucks and I hope that Mexico advance in the other semi for attendance and rivalry sakes.

A sellout at Soldier Field in the Gold Cup would be a solid testament for the USMNT.

Also, per USMNT reports, as I understand it the U.S. will field a more "inexperienced" side in the Copa America and use it more for seasoning some of the younger players that have not been exposed as much to international soccer.

At any rate, I love having summer international soccer to focus on and that we can watch on TV.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 10:57 AM
Quote:

Also, per USMNT reports, as I understand it the U.S. will field a more "inexperienced" side in the Copa America and use it more for seasoning some of the younger players that have not been exposed as much to international soccer.

Why would they do that in that tournament? I would have thought that they field the younger guys more in this tournament given that the Copa should have tougher competition.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 11:49 AM
My understanding is that the decision was made primarily to get the more heralded MLS players back to their respective domestic teams and to give the Euro-based players a summer break.

I could have heard wrong however.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 11:55 AM
There is a good thread discussing this issue at BigSoccer.com -- USMNT 2007 Schedule.

The interesting points that I took from the article is that Bob Bradley is 8-0-1 heading into the semifinal of the Gold Cup with Canada. Also the USMNT is averaging 2.11 goals per match under Bradley. According to some posters in the thread, the Copa America roster will be released Thursday.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 01:33 PM
I am glad to see he is gonna use a more 'inexperienced' roster those guys are just as good, and I think they can do well. Hard to call them 'inexperienced' when most of them have played u20 nationals and such.

Plus Donovan doesnt want to play in it so he can be with his man lover beckham when he gets to LA.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 03:25 PM
If you look at the other nine participants in the Copa, other than Brazil who is sending their "B" squad, the other teams are sending World Cup caliber teams to this tournament. What Bradley should have done is used the "inexperienced" guys in this jv tournament and send a much tougher squad to Venezuela, where the competition will be 10x tougher than El Salvador and Panama. As for Donovan, he knew this tournamnet was gonna be a weak one, so he would look good. Everybody knows he chokes on the important tournamnets against really good squads. Let him be with his master Beckham.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/20/07 06:14 PM
Honestly I dont believe in our younger guys being the 'B' squad...we will see what they are made of in Copa play.
OFFSIDE or NOT ?????

You make the call...

http://video.google.com/videosearch?um=1&tab=wv&hl=en&q=us%20vs%20canada%20offsides
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Semifinal - 06/22/07 01:40 PM
Onside clearly!
Per FIFA rules see 3rd point, after reading this and watching the video what do you think....????

It looks like he is ON to me.

Decision 2
The definitions of elements of involvement in active play are as follows:
• Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.
• Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
• Gaining an advantage by being in that position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Semifinal - 06/22/07 01:50 PM
ON
ON without a doubt
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Semifinal - 06/22/07 03:40 PM
Well, i didn't get to watch the US/Canada game and have yet to see the highlights. But from what i heard the US didn't play that well. I still think they're gonna win the Cup and get the birth for the Confederations Cup in '09. Mexico is still playing bad..............and too bad for my boys at Guadeloupe. Thought ya'll could pull it off!!!!!! O well, only 4 days till Copa America!!
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 05:11 PM
Quote:

Ok I cant be quite about this any longer....

USA 2
CAN 1
(BLAME CANADA!!!)

GUA 0
MEX 1

And the Final:
USA 2
MEX 0

GOT BOTH OF THEM RIGHT!!!!!

Bet I get the final right too.....
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 06:54 PM
If you get the last one right.... I want you to pick the powerball numbers for me.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 07:07 PM
me too
Posted By: Crabb Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 07:48 PM
I have really enjoyed watching these younger players in the Gold Cup. I thought Bradley had his best game of the tourney against Canada until he got the RED.

However, we really do have some issues. Communication in the back seems to be weak. Even Keller looked out of sorts back there with the central defenders. Old Franky played well but it was more effort than anything!

I really want to like Donovan, I really do. But what is that kissy kissy stuff before his PK's. He does have three goals in this tournament! But how many were PK's? He lost the ball countless times last night and I thought he was sub-par......Whether it is him, the guys around him or just the team, something is missing there!!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 08:11 PM
Donovan whiffing on a sitter and Oguchi nodding back a perfect through ball to the Canadian forward were definitely not US highlights.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 08:46 PM

Why didn't Oguchi just let the ball play through to Keller? I hope he was trying to head it out wide but it went square right to the canadian dude who slotted it in.

Bradley's foul was foolish and deserved a red. hopefully, he won't do it again.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 09:14 PM
Hugo Sanchez promised a Mexican victory in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in this month's "World Soccer" magazine.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/22/07 10:09 PM
The US has been playing great under Bradley. As for Sanchez, I honestly don't think he'll last that long at Mexico. His style is not the right one for the Mexicans and his personality on the field will get him in trouble. As for him promising a gold cup victory.........the media is already pounding him on the poor playing of Mexico. he's gonna get buried when they lose to the US again. And i believe after Mexico lost to the US a few months back, he guaranteed the next time they faced off, Mexico would win, no matter where they played.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/23/07 02:33 PM
What I don't like about him is how he trashed the previous coach day in and day out. He got canned/quit his club job after running his mouth and running his mouth...then not putting up the results himself. Defeat might be a good dose of humility for him.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/23/07 02:49 PM
Amen to that my friend. many Mexican die hard fans don't like him because of how he is. And the fact that every game they've won so far has been by the minimal margin. But it's going to be a bad week for him coming up. Starting with a nice whoopin from his arch rivals, and then a beatdown by the 5 time world champs. Hate to be him right now
Posted By: Coach Young Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/23/07 06:01 PM
That Brazil match up is scary...almost as scary as an Argentinian match up against a team that is on 13 year trophy drought and all possible internationals have reported (see Kaka and Ronaldhino for Brazil) so they can end it!

A nice W in the Gold Cup will take away the sting from next week.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/24/07 09:25 PM
Super win for the U.S. today! 2-1 is the final after trailing 1-0 at intermission. The game-winning goal by Benny Feilhaber was top shelf! Well done Bob Bradley & Company and good luck at Copa America!
Posted By: Edmund Carson Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/24/07 09:28 PM
Way to go US! Men's team show some grit and come from behind to beat Mexico in the final off another pk from Donovan and a BOMB from Feilhaber. story from soccernet.com
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/24/07 09:28 PM
dang one goal away from calling that one right too.....Didnt get to watch the game.....too cheap for FSC....Always good to get a win over Mexico though...Another PK for Donovan is that some kind of Gold Cup record what did he have 4 goals all from PK's
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/24/07 09:43 PM
Big time win for the USA!!! Tremendous effort in the second half down 1-0. Great strike from Feilhaber too! Awesome!!!
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/24/07 10:51 PM
U.S. comes back to beat Mexico, win Gold Cup
The Associated Press

Change the venue, change the coaches, change the players. The only thing that doesn't change when Mexico and the United States play is the result.

Landon Donovan scored his 34th career goal, tying Eric Wynalda atop the career list, and Benny Feilhaber connected on a gorgeous volley as the United States rallied for a 2-1 victory over Mexico on Sunday in the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The victory extended the Americans' dominance over their neighbors to the south and gave them a berth in the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa, an important tuneup ahead of the 2010 World Cup. The United States is 9-2-1 against Mexico since 2000, including 8-0-1 on U.S. soil.

Mexico at least managed a goal this time, snapping a streak of eight straight shutouts in the United States. Jose Andres Guardado's goal in the 44th minute was El Tri's first on U.S. soil in 797 minutes.

Mexico had a chance to tie it in the 89th minute when Adolfo Bautista came up with a loose ball in front of the goal. But goalkeeper Tim Howard reached up as he was falling, and punched the ball free to preserve the win.

The teams failed to shake hands after the final whistle, another recent "tradition" in this rivalry. Instead, the Americans ran over to Sam's Army -- really more of a platoon -- to salute the small contingent of U.S. fans in the sellout crowd of 60,000. Donovan tossed his shirt into the stands, then grabbed a U.S. flag that a fan tossed and wrapped it around his shoulders.

This is the fourth Gold Cup title for the Americans, tying them with Mexico. It also kept new coach Bob Bradley's perfect record intact at 10-0-1. Bradley took over as interim coach after Bruce Arena was let go after the World Cup, and was given the job permanently May 16.

His task gets tougher Thursday, when he leads a U.S. team without most its regular starters against Argentina at the Copa America, South America's championship.

During its run of success against Mexico, the United States has taken the early lead and then held on. Its aggressive counterattacking style was usually enough to fluster Mexico and keep it off balance long enough to get away with a victory.

Not this time.

Mexico jumped out to a first-half lead, and the Americans were forced to play catch up, something they're not used to. But they got a break in the 60th minute, when Brian Ching was tripped up in the box by Jose Jonny Magallon. Compared to the other rough-and-tumble antics Sunday, this barely looked like a foul. Magallon tugged at Ching's jersey, and the two tangled feet as Ching turned around.

But it was all Donovan needed.

Donovan, the U.S. player Mexican fans most love to boo, took a slow jog to the ball and appeared to barely give it much of a kick. But Mexico goalie Oswaldo Sanchez started to move to his right, then hesitated, and that split second cost hm any chance he had of getting to the ball, which hit the right corner of the net for Donovan's fourth goal of the tournament, all on penalty kicks.

As his teammates mobbed him, Donovan wiped his brow as if to say, "That was a relief."

The goal seemed to loosen up all of the Americans. Ten minutes later, Donovan took a corner kick that was flicked clear by a Mexican defender. But the ball went right to Feilhaber, who scored on a perfect right-footed volley from 22 yards out for his second goal in eight international appearances.

The goal -- and the switch in the lead -- was enough to convert some of the pro-Mexico crowd. Though the fans cheered wildly when Cuauhtemoc Blanco came on as a late substitute, there were a smattering of "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chants in the final minutes.

The Americans could have added another goal, too. Donovan fed DaMarcus Beasley with a perfect cross in front of the goal, but Beasley's shot banged off the crossbar.

It was Mexico that was doing the counterattacking early, pushing and shoving and playing the Americans' kind of game. It worked, too. After struggling to finish several early chances, Nery Castillo beat Oguchi Onyewu and crossed to Guardado in front of the box in the 44th minute.

Guardado had been left unmarked and was all alone by the left post. As Howard slipped, Guardado poked the ball into the goal with his left foot, setting off a frenzied celebration on the field and in the stands.
Posted By: Edmund Carson Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 12:05 AM
Give Donovan credit for laying the ball off for Beasley when he could have gone for it to break Wynalda's scoring record (although I'd like to see him pull the trigger a bit more.) Beasley could have goofed that more if he'd stubbed his toe and fell on his face.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 02:19 AM
Just saw Feilhabers goal on the internet and all I have to say is easily best goal of the tournament and probably of the year. Glad he is on the roster for the copa cup and hope to see more of him.

If you havent seen it here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=3
Posted By: Pep Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 04:09 PM
Feilhaber's was incredible. Best goal I have seen from an American in a long while.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 05:19 PM
When you watch volley attempts like that, 9 times out of 10 the player really misses it badly. that's one of the nicest goals that I have seen in a while.

On the other hand, Beasley's miss was one of the worst shots that I have seen. You simply should not miss a shot like that.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 05:22 PM
Great win for the US and a beautiful goal, don't know about the best of the tourney though. Angloma's goal against Canda is probably the best one in the tourney. But great finish by US. As for el "tri", their coach is in hot water right now, for losing (once again) to the US and for his comments after the game. Got a feeling both these squads are gonna slump at the Copa though. US squad is way too inexperienced and Mexico is on some bad times. ONLY ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 05:59 PM
Beautiful goal... in spanish "GOLAZO"... My U10s missed one like Beasley's

Would you believe tha the Mexican papers clearly state that US was helped in the game by the refereeing who called a "minor" infraction in the box?

I do not know about you but it was clearly a PK as much as Canada's 2nd goal was not offside.

for a little credit, however, the papers are now saying that US is the number 1 team in the region period. In many blogs there is shame in the fact that Mexico is "happy" because at least they scored for the first rime in 800 minutes. Hugo is most definetely in hot water and the Brazil game will not help either.

As far as the US... a somewhat inexperienced squad beat (on paper) a very strong mexican team.

Castillo and Guardado are nightmare players and Bocanegra had the best game I ever saw him play. As bad as it sounds, the best play Spector made was to collide heads with Guardado. He was definetely out of it after that.

I like the fact that Bradley is going to copa america with young talent (I assume by choice). Ther are many complaints from the mexican squad about resting a from long seasons. He will have his first losses as coach and will give valuable experience to many players for future use. Long term thinking is what US soccer has to be about.
Posted By: CescFab4 Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 08:06 PM
First off the goal by Feilhaber was amazing it looked like the replay of the goal that Argentina scored against Mexico in the world cup to knock them out last year..also i loved how Hugo was whinning to the refs after the game was over he realized that he is probably going to get fired...and as far as the Copa America goes its going to be a learning expierence for the young US squad...If they do pull out a win against Argentina it will be a pretty big upset in the soccer world and maybe good for soccer in the States.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 08:14 PM
Yeah i read in some of the spanish papers that it wasn't a penalty, but regardless USA dominated the second half. As for players being "tired" or needing a break from Mexico's squad, Many of those players are what the media calls "lavolpistas" (in reference to the former coach Lavolpe). They don't like Hugo. Look at many players in the other squads like Nessi and Farfan and others who haven't ahd a break and yet are honored to play in the Copa. USA, i believe is gonna put up better efforts, but the most they'll get iis 1 pt. As for mexico, they're gettin goose egged. O n US is the #1 team in CONCACAF
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 08:34 PM
Agreed JAG.... what i was indirectly stating is that the US chose to let some of the European players rest and the MLS big names go back to their teams. This can only help Bradley in the long run. He is willing to put out a very young team and take a whipping just so he can have more experience in the future.

Is it Bradley's doing? or USSF? Do not know, but long term is the way to go.

As far as lavolpistas...if this is the way in the future, Mexico will never be a powerhouse again in Concacaf. as an example see Bruce Arena and 2006... I do not like him...I do not know my assignment.... blah blah blah.... you are professionals which means you get paid.

I do not like some of the people I have to deal with, but I deal with them in any case. Bunch of prima donnas... I am willing to bet that had Mexico won the whole song and dance about Sanchez and Lavolpa would be different.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 10:11 PM
will any copa matches be on TV/cable?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/25/07 10:16 PM
I know for a fact that Univision and Telefutura and i think GOLTV is doing it for the english part.
Posted By: WhatDoesItMatter Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 02:01 AM
for what channels the US games are go on to ussoccer.com and go to schedule & tickets tab on the left, that will tell you what channel if any each game will be on.
Posted By: kdlsc Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 02:19 AM
Telefutura and GolTv are showing the games. Today I ordered the "Latin View" package for digital cable. It is just $5 a month. It includes GolTv and Galavision (which is showing the u20 games which are this week)
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 11:04 AM
Quote:

Telefutura and GolTv are showing the games. Today I ordered the "Latin View" package for digital cable. It is just $5 a month. It includes GolTv and Galavision (which is showing the u20 games which are this week)

is this cable? what cable provider?
Posted By: kdlsc Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 01:52 PM
Yes, cable. Charter in Greenville.
Posted By: Beezer Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 02:52 PM
Every soccer fan needs DirecTV. It has everything!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/26/07 05:51 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amen to that!!!
Posted By: ARichardsonSC Re: 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup - 06/27/07 05:26 PM
Gold Cup draws bigger ratings than Stanley Cup

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/103088.html
© SC Soccer