SC Soccer
Posted By: Kevin Heise Charleston Battery Defeat Houston Dynamo - 07/11/07 10:57 AM
Congrats to the Battery for downing the Dynamo 1-0 in extra time at Blackbaud Stadium last night. Full Story
wow that is impressive, houston has been playing really good soccer as of late
Posted By: kdlsc Re: Charleston Battery Defeat Houston Dynamo - 07/11/07 10:30 PM
Great game but it really is hard to call that the Houston Dynamo. No Clark. No Ching. No Derosario. Jacqua played the last few minutes of regulation and OT. The only names I recognized were Dalglish and Corey Ashe (and I don't think Ashe usually plays that much--just know him from u17's and UNC)
With that, we plan on heading down on August the 7th (if we don't have practice) to catch the next cup game against FC Dallas.
Anyone know if/when Kenny Cooper will be back in action?

He essentially single-handedly stole the "W" from Charleston last year.
He is gone for a while, he snapped his leg in half. I saw that game it was really loud. It happened maybe a month ago so he has a while still out yet.
Really? I was under the impression that it wasn't a clean break. My info was all second hand though and I probably got it wrong.

That's unfortunate for him, but a lucky break (pun intended) for the Battery.
Ummmmmmmm, help me out here. How can you beat one of the premier teams in MLS on Tuesday and bow out 3-1 to lowly Puerto Rico three days later? Ugh!!!

Islanders Ground Battery 3-1
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Charleston Battery Defeat Houston Dynamo - 07/15/07 08:37 AM
Probably the same way that a premier MLS team can lose to a USL team and then turn around and beat an MLS team 4-0 on the road in their next match.

Strange game isn't it?
The situation for the manager...
Your in seventh place with 20 pts just past half way point.
US Open Cup would be a great fan and club honor.
Both games same week.
Give all you got against Houston and pray you still have fuel in the tank for PR 4 days later.
Its gotta be 100 degrees a few hours before kick off.
We all know that teams are never the same day to day. Match to match. Not to get all Kwai Chang Caine but its the teams that achieve sameness that achieve success.
Posted By: kdlsc Re: Charleston Battery Defeat Houston Dynamo - 07/15/07 02:57 PM
It was basically Houston's reserve squad.
Check out the lineups.
http://houston.mlsnet.com/news/team_news...p&team=t200
Battery in need of a recharge after losses
By Jeff Hartsell
The Post and Courier
Sunday, July 22, 2007

As the Charleston Battery drilled relentlessly under a merciless sun last Thursday, coach Mike Anhaeuser was just as merciless.

"It's got to happen," the coach yelled as he directed the team's defense. "It's got to happen."

What's got to happen? An improved effort on defense as the Battery faces USL First Division leader Portland at 6 p.m. today at Blackbaud Stadium.

The Battery responded to its U.S. Open Cup victory over Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo on July 10 by giving up seven goals in two losses in Puerto Rico last week, plunging Charleston to ninth place in the USL First Division.

"That was disappointing," said Anhaeuser, whose 5-8-5 squad is looking for its first league victory since a 2-1 win over Atlanta on June 22.

"Any time you beat a team like the Dynamo, you hope that momentum can carry over. But when you play on the road, it's a lot different."

Especially since the Battery had to play two road matches in three nights at Puerto Rico.

"They got the 3-1 win in the first game, and that adds a lot of pressure," Anahaeuser said.

"You can't go back home and regroup and get organized. You go with the players you have down there, and you have to get it done."

The Battery bounced back with three goals in the second match in Puerto Rico, but gave up three goals in the first half of a 4-3 loss.

Anhaeuser hopes the return of 6-3 defender Kevin Nylen and 6-2 forward Ian Fuller can bolster the Battery's defense. Nylen has been out with a broken foot, while Fuller has been sidelined by a hamstring injury.

"Both could see action (today)," Anhaeuser said. "With some guys coming back, we need to solidify things all over the field. But at the same time you have to keep it going offensively.

"Portland will probably sit back (today); it will be hot and their second game in two nights, so we need to make sure we take the game to them."

Portland, 10-2-3 after a 2-1 win over Vancouver on Thursday, played at Atlanta on Saturday night.

Midfielder Andrew Gregor leads the Timber with seven goals, tied for the First Division lead with the Battery's Byron Alvarez and Eduardo Sebrango-Rodriguez of Vancouver.

Today's game is the first meeting between the teams this season; Charleston goes to Portland on Aug. 23.

"I want to see us come out and defend properly and put a complete game together," Anhaeuser said. "We've been doing it offensively, but we've had some lapses defensively. In just that one second, if something doesn't happen, the other team can get a break."

Notes

Charleston will be without defender Brandon Curran and midfielder Stephen Armstrong, both serving a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation ... The Battery's Byron Alvarez will face some former teammates from Portland. He spent the last four seasons in Portland and is the Timber's all-time scorer with 41 goals and nine assists in 96 games ... A bicycle race at halftime will highlight Tour de France night at Blackbaud Stadium ... Tickets for the Battery's Aug. 7 U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match with FC Dallas of MLS are on sale for $10 to $18.
Battery 2-0 Timbers
Speaking of the Battery, the LA Galaxy player who entered the match before Beckham was Gavin Clinton. Gavin spent all last season with the Battery. Just a FYI.
© SC Soccer