SC Soccer
Posted By: dhunter US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 05:33 PM
Greg Ryan didn't accept the keeper change as the reason for the loss, blamed it on the first goal. However, it seemed to me that the team was out of sync defensively and that fed into the psyche up top. But the killer was the horrible call on Shannon Boxx for her second yellow. She gets blindsided and gets a card late in first half. The ref should get suspended from international play. Horrible call that sent US off to half hanging their heads.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 06:23 PM
Brasil was so much better than the US today, regardless of the ref, the own goal, or, the goalkeeper change.

Marta & company were unbelievable. Sure it's easy to look good when you are a man up....but their skill was extraordinary.

I've never seen the US apply so little pressure to the opposition. When they went a player down they just sat back and got torn apart. I've never seen them so passive.....then again, not sure I've ever seen them reduced to 10 players before.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 06:44 PM
Keeper change was a huge coach error—changed everything.

Hate to see the team go out like this.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 07:09 PM
Hope's post-game comments were bold. Called out the coach and the other keeper.

Funny take:

http://deadspin.com/sports/david-hirshey-is-the-closer/free-hope-solo-304371.php
Posted By: Coach Young Re: US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 10:08 PM
I don't think an entire team suddenly falls apart because of a keeper change. We're talking world class athletes here, not some bum off the street. The own goal screwed things up from the get go. I think the other keep held her tongue until the result...and then proved what a coward she was.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: US World Cup loss - 09/27/07 11:53 PM
W&E—

Come on—chemistry—it affected the team. Probably not the sole problem—but to ignore the impact of chemistry is shortsighted.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 10:54 AM
Having a World Cup winning goalie who, unless an unknown blow to the head occurred, knows how to mark up and command a defense would not disrupt the semi-final match. She can't be blamed for the own goal, or for playing 10 v 11. Granted, some girls might have felt sorry for Solo or whatever her name is, but not to the point where they say "You know, I don't feel like winning the world cup today".
Posted By: Shibumi Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 11:27 AM
1) The U.S. has reaped what it has for so many years sown. The focus on size over skill, the inherent political nature of the overall program, has resulted in a pool of players that don't represent the best the United States has to offer.

2) I have traditionally been the last one to disrespect a coach; however, the coach took a tremendous risk. If it had worked, he would have taken the praise; it didn't work and he deserves a lot of blame. Solo was immature and whiny after the game; that doesn't obviate the fact that she had a valid point.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 11:47 AM
Chico, congratulations! With "obviate" you've become the SCSOCCER.COM "Poster of the Week." On behalf of the SCSOCCER.COM community and "Poster of the Week" selection comity I'd like to thank you personally for always keeping the posting standards high, whether technical with your charts and statistics or literary with your vocabulary and diction.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 02:39 PM
Quote:

Chico, congratulations! With "obviate" you've become the SCSOCCER.COM "Poster of the Week." On behalf of the SCSOCCER.COM community and "Poster of the Week" selection comity I'd like to thank you personally for always keeping the posting standards high, whether technical with your charts and statistics or literary with your vocabulary and diction.

Perusal of the subject matter has made it palpable that Chico is unrivalled in his articulation of not only concepts but also of statistical erudition. It is also fact that Chico, a member of Canis Lupus Familiaris, is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. He is clearly superior to his brethren, most notably his closest… Scooby-Doo who many have been hindered by his palaver…..”ROH ROH!!! Rhaggie!!!” has been the only graspable statement from this group, until now. I certainly hope Chico perdures in the forum.

Now regarding the game... this has been coming for a while the improvement in the rest of the world in women's soccer has been steady. The US as a leader in the sport should be concerned.... why not the USSF academy for girls?

And to that point ...it needs to be U14 and U16, minimum. There is also a correlation between the WUSA demise and the current situation
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 03:50 PM
USSF Academy for the girls would be a wonderful thing if....

1. Some corporate sponsor picked up a good portion of the tab.

2. The soccer geniuses running the show teach our young ladies to play with elan (accent over the "e").

There's a word for you L-E Dude.
Posted By: kdlsc Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 05:18 PM
Actually, futbol, many of the USWNT have said that the new league will actually hamper the national team because they won't spend nearly as much time together.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 06:08 PM
kdlsc... it is a numbers game, I believe most any coach would agree that the more you play the better you will get. It will be pretty rare to have the opposite.

Add to that the competition factor, if you have more players vying for a spot you will have improvement.

And lastly as stated in a prior entry... Marta is the player that she is because she most likely grew up playing with boys, which in Brazil by necessity means creative. In the US many frown upon the individualistic approach (male and female) it is this succesful merger of the individual in a team environment that will yield the style the US needs to compete in the world. The women lost because their midfield is "horrible" (note the quotes)the lack of a creative player and an over reliance on Wambach's physicality did them in.

Notice the common thread between men and women?.....MIDFIELD creator the US have none.

Although I will give the women kudos on the goal scoring forwards over the men.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 07:01 PM
Quote:

...a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

..so passe.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 07:04 PM
true...paying homage to an old friend of mine.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: US World Cup loss - 09/28/07 09:28 PM
Problem is that we will probably never, EVER produce a player like Marta. Win at all cost. The coaches know that isn't the way to develop players, but our society and our parents want a W over development. If you don't win, I will go somewhere else that will. The US is a society of team over I. "there is no I in team".
The US can still be successful without playing like Brazil. Italy won a WC playing strong, hard nosed defense and scoring 1 goal. We set ourselves up for this. We play with 3 up top which forces the direct play and loss of possession. It just won't work against the better teams. The only game the US controlled was against Nigeria. They were outplayed in parts or most of every other game.
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: US World Cup loss - 09/30/07 08:15 PM
In watching the US women play in this tournament I saw similarities with the USMNT at their last WC. They were very tentative. They gave the other teams too much space and could not handle pressure when trying to possess the ball. North Korea showed the weakness from the first game. The other teams followed suit. In today's game Norway didn't press and the US easily handled the space and time they had with the ball.

As far as the goal keeper decision and resulting "controversy". I agree with Hope's observation, you don't play a keeper just because they did well against the team 3 years ago. I disagree with her voicing her opinion at that time. But emotional times causes people to react with emotion. And as far as Greg Ryan being gone as a coach - you gotta be kidding, he loses one game and someone's crying for his head? How the heck can Bradley still be coaching - he lost a bunch - in a row!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: US World Cup loss - 10/01/07 03:37 PM
Ryan favors the 4-3-3. It's direct and counter attacking by nature as is it's "bend but don't break" defense. That would answer several of the above comments.

Now, before we write off women's soccer forever, lets remember this is their first official loss in fifty something games.
© SC Soccer