SC Soccer
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers New SCHSL proposal - 01/17/20 06:27 PM
An SCHSL constitutional amendment will be up for discussion and vote regarding the playoffs.

To summarize, any school that can elect not to admit a student within their defined attendance zone for a reason other than discipline, will compete in a separate playoff bracket.

This would impact all private schools in the SCHSL as well as most magnet and charter schools.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/20/20 04:52 PM
Seems like that will effect the private/magnet schools more than the charter schools ??
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/20/20 08:04 PM
Private schools would obviously be affected.

Magnet schools like Academic Magnet, which have an admissions policy that take factors beyond discipline into account will also be impacted.

I do not know about Charters. How does the HS League define their attendance zone? For example, JIHS, a County Charter, can choose to admit or deny students from outside their traditional attendance zone, so it would seem they might also be impacted.

For State Charters like Palmetto Scholars, Oceanside and Gray Academy, I do not know if they have any metrics that would deny a student for non-disciplinary reasons.

If a Charter cannot provide appropriate to students with disabilities and thus their admission is denied, would this put them in that new bracket? A lot of questions.
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 12:48 AM
Any idea when this will be discussed? IF it were to pass, this would make it pointless to play in a region.

I'm sure they will do what is best for everyone involved...I'm certain of it. (shaking my head)
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 01:57 AM
Time to get rid of regions anyway. The re-alignment set up is ridiculous. Let everyone in the tournament and seed everyone.

The problem is no one is ever going to be happy. Eliminating private, magnet, charter, etc. schools will make all of the public schools happy; but it isn't necessarily fair for the kids who go to these schools. This will end up in a lawsuit either way, just like re-alignment does.

If I may ask Allister, what do you think the solution is; if you even think there is an issue? I like to hear all sides of the story.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
Any idea when this will be discussed? IF it were to pass, this would make it pointless to play in a region.

I'm sure they will do what is best for everyone involved...I'm certain of it. (shaking my head)

This will likely be discussed at the Spring convention, along with the other proposed amendments. I have no idea how it will play out if/when it comes to a vote, as the 5A schools are not impacted. They may vote as a block (each region gets one vote).

Certainly a prickly topic and I can understand why some people would advocate for it as well as why others would oppose it.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 02:02 PM
Unfortunately,, looks like any proposal that is designed for state wide charter schools will unfortunately affect magnet schools as well.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:12 PM
Nah, I’m not digging it. Just keep the schools that are able to deny zoned students admissions in a multiplier system for attendance and re-alignment. For all of this, you might as well have all the schools affected in this proposal join SCISA, which could then impact the strength of the SCHSL in the future as SCISA schools can look to focus on becoming the top tier level of competition in school athletics
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:14 PM
I wish I had some sort of idea what the best solution is for everyone.
If we got rid of regions, it would make it hard for the smaller, rural schools to find games.
I think solutions could be found for soccer but the HSL isn't going to create special regions/rules just for soccer.
If you lump all of the Magnet/Private/Charter schools together I can live with that but then how to you handle districts that have school of choice? I had a friend coaching at a Columbia area school that said he knew of 2 kids that lived in his neighborhood, zoned for one school that were going to another so they could play soccer.
I know kids in my area say that they want to take a certain class so are able to go the school they choose to play a sport.
The rules are being bent everywhere. When I start coaching 18 years ago, I knew of kids that lived in Chapin that were going to Irmo to play soccer.

I curious if other states have this same issue and how they handle the private/magnet/charter issue.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: SharksFutbol
Nah, I’m not digging it. Just keep the schools that are able to deny zoned students admissions in a multiplier system for attendance and re-alignment. For all of this, you might as well have all the schools affected in this proposal join SCISA, which could then impact the strength of the SCHSL in the future as SCISA schools can look to focus on becoming the top tier level of competition in school athletics

I believe this was proposed and declined (count each student as 1.5 for sake of classification). At that time Hanahan voiced issue as being the only public school in the state that had another school of the same classification (BE) in its attendance zone.

Going to SCISA would create a different set of problems, and honestly, I doubt districts would support that in the case of Magnets.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:54 PM
I am in favor of "conferences" based on geographical location vs. size of school. School from multiple divisions could play in the same conference (4A and 5A for instance) and the state could implement a system in which every school must be accepted into a conference unless they choose otherwise. That would give smaller school "conference" games instead of "region" games.
Many other states have multipliers, but I think that a lot of these schools (especially the ones that artificially cap their enrollment to be at a lower level) would file a lawsuit.
Is the SCISA a bad idea, Cardinal Newman thrives there? Traditional schools would have their state titles and All-State lists and non-traditional schools would have theirs. This is also common in other states.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:54 PM
When doing some research on how other states handled private and charter schools, along with classification determination, I found that many states use 1.5x and 2x multipliers. Some states go 2.5x. With the schools having control over who can come in, it was deemed that they had an advantage and athletically that needed to be compensated for. Some states do exactly as this rule change is considering and has ALL Private, Charter, and Attendance-Controlling Schools in their own bracket.

I think about 23 schools would be effected by the removal from the "True" Public school playoffs. None are within the 4A or 5A classification. At that point, you would think have to re-examine the realignment and would 5 divisions be needed.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 03:59 PM
5 divisions have never been needed. I used to coach in another state where our District had 23 teams. There were 8 districts. That 170+ schools in 1 division, and there were 5 divisions.
They had the option of making 3 divisions, then based on how many schools played the sport having either 3 or 6 (big/little) state titles. This would make a lot more sense, thus the reason it probably wasn't chosen:) (Remember when football had a big 16...but no other sport did)
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
(Remember when football had a big 16...but no other sport did)

I remember when while there were 4 classes, but there were 2 Class 1A football champions and 2 Class 2A State Champions. Started in '06 w/ 1A & '11 w/ 2A. Stopped around for both around '15 or '16. Thought no one really got special rules but hey I'm just a soccer guy
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 04:22 PM
I think we have traveled down this road before.
Any predictions on what happens?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 04:31 PM
I wish I had some sort of idea what the best solution is for everyone.
If we got rid of regions, it would make it hard for the smaller, rural schools to find games.
I think solutions could be found for soccer but the HSL isn't going to create special regions/rules just for soccer.
If you lump all of the Magnet/Private/Charter schools together I can live with that but then how to you handle districts that have school of choice? I had a friend coaching at a Columbia area school that said he knew of 2 kids that lived in his neighborhood, zoned for one school that were going to another so they could play soccer.
I know kids in my area say that they want to take a certain class so are able to go the school they choose to play a sport.
The rules are being bent everywhere. When I start coaching 18 years ago, I knew of kids that lived in Chapin that were going to Irmo to play soccer.

I curious if other states have this same issue and how they handle the private/magnet/charter issue.

Several good points here.

Absolutely, the smaller schools would be impacted the most if they left. Would probably have to go back to 1A-4A, which has its own issues.

Soccer isn't really a consideration here. Football, and to a lesser extent, basketball, will drive this.

Irmo benefited from the school of choice for years, but now the migration in Lexington 5 is elsewhere. DD2 allows kids to go to other schools if their home school doesn't offer a specific program (I know of some athletes that go to Ashley Ridge for a CTE program not offered at Summerville HS).

Recruiting takes place in the other sports as well. I personally do not think that the HS sports should be so driven to win, win, win, but instead focus more on being an extension of the classroom where values of teamwork, sportsmanship, dedication, etc... are emphasized. Most coaches do this, but for some, well, the less said, the better.

Definitely no easy answers.
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 10:44 PM
As long as they are keeping score, people will be driven to win. Whether they are a football coach making 6 figures or a soccer coach working for peanuts and cracker jacks.
I do understand your point and that their is a right way to do things.
Unfortunately we will always have people in our business that are willing to win at all costs.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/21/20 11:25 PM
A lot of interesting suggestions. I know they arent going to get away from regions divided by size. Football will drive any decision that is made. Lso, I cant see those schools moving away into scisa either. The schsl would not want to lose the money, and with a few exceptions, scisa athletics are pretty bad. Also, If schools like Oceanside, Bishop England and Academic Magnet (In spring sports) were to suddenly enter scisa. They would absolutely dominate. I think their would be a lot of push back from the traditional SCISA schools.

Hanahan/Branchville/Broome and a few other schools have fought this fight for years,,,,, it was never addressed because it wasn't affecting the bigger schools. Now that the bigger schools are losing kids, it will be addressed.

I don't know any way that is fair other than using a multiplyer. Smaller schools may actually benefit if the charter and private schools leave. When is the last time a traditional small town school has won a state championship in soccer? I remember a 1A state championship that ended 13-0.

and yes,,, Ashley Ridge has long used their programs to be able to get athletes in from throughout DD2. But that doesn't bother be as much as the new state charter schools that have absolutely zero attendance lines competing against school that do.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 12:14 AM
a soccer coach working for peanuts and cracker jacks

I want to know what greedy person is getting cracker jacks!

In all seriousness though, small schools will always struggle to GSSM and charters. The tale of the tape will be how Oceanside performs in this next realignment. BE and Magnet have seemed to be do alright. I mean last year is the first time in how long that Academic Magnet / Bishop England boys haven't been in the State Championship game but even so they got to the 3rd and Lower state championship rounds.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 12:18 AM
I think we have traveled down this road before.
Any predictions on what happens?

The 1.5 multiplier was turned down in 2006.

http://thedanielislandnews.com/opinions/be-remain-aa

"In a vote that essentially went along competitive lines, the leagues A, AA and AAAA schools cast a majority of their votes in support of a rule that would have created a conversion factor for private schools competing in the public school athletic league. Two-thirds vote was necessary to implement the change."

The issue was addressed again, in 2015.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/sc...124515bf7a.html

"The S.C. High School decided Tuesday to divide its member schools into five classifications beginning in 2016-17, but punted on a proposal that would have forced private schools such as Bishop England to play up a class.

My prediction based on past history is no change.
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 01:02 AM
The cracker jacks part was me dreaming.

I agree that it all ends up with no change. With no logical solution, they will just leave it the same.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard the football coach at Oceanside say that they do have an attendance zone and if players come from that zone they have to sit out a year. Is that true?

Also, they would never put us in SCISA because we are a public school.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 01:30 AM
Oceanside is a State Charter. Their attendance zone is the state of SC.
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 01:47 AM
I agree,,, I don’t see any workable solution. I do know that last time there was a big push, it was directed at the private schools. Now that you have statewide athletic charter schools there is more momentum to address it. The Bishop England’s and other private schools in the schsl were easy for the big schools to just ignore. But now you have schools like Wando, Summerville, Northwestern, Rock Hill and Dutch Fork all losing kids to the new charter schools. There will be more push to address the attendance line loop hole. They have already started by simply refusing to schedule them.

The charter schools have a statewide attendance zone. They can attract students from anywhere. They do have to follow the same rules if they transfer to their school after already attending another school. They have to sit out a year. But if a kid enrolls there at the beginning of thier freshman year ,,, they would be immediately eligible regardless of where live.
Posted By: JMouzon Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 04:35 PM
Promotion / relegation?
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 06:31 PM
HAHAHA you have jokes. The reason I looked into other states was to create a report on why SC could use it and its overall effectiveness but in the end I stopped because again, if Football wouldn't agree to it then no one else is getting special treatment. I do think it would benefit many non-football sports. The 3A-4A teams who can only really compete at the 2A level and the 3A schools who could take down 5A schools. I would love Pro/Rel but it would take "too much work" and another subcommittee to put it all together
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 07:40 PM
I'm not so sure promotion/relegation would work in high school soccer anyway.
Would you just promote the champion? top 2?
Things can change so quickly in high school soccer with the turn over in players that a team that does well one year, might not be good the next.
Plus it could be a travel nightmare.
Take 3A girls last year. BE won so they move up. That puts them in a region with Hilton Head, Bluffton, Colleton County and Beaufort. That is a horrible travel schedule.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 07:49 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard the football coach at Oceanside say that they do have an attendance zone and if players come from that zone they have to sit out a year. Is that true?

Let me attempt to clear this up on attendance at the charter schools, since I'm at Gray Collegiate Academy (GCA) in West Columbia. GCA is a sister school of both Oceanside Collegiate Academy (Mt. Pleasant) and Legion Collegiate Academy (Rock Hill) under the ownership of Pinnacle Charter -- http://pinnaclecharteracademies.com/

For SCHSL purposes, geographically, GCA resides in the Lexington Two School District attendance zone (Airport HS & Brookland-Cayce HS), although we are governed by the Charter Institute at Erskine. Under this arrangement, student-athletes (grades 9-12) from AHS or BCHS could move to GCA and be eligible for athletics immediately at the varsity level and vice versa as well.

However, as a statewide district, charter schools can have students attend from all over the state, but with parameters. For instance, if a student-athlete is a 10th grader from a school district other than Lexington Two (i.e. Lexington 1 or Richland 1) and transfers to GCA mid-year, that student can only participate at the sub-varsity (JV) level at GCA, until the following year when they would be eligible for varsity. If a student enrolls at GCA prior to 9th grade (cannot attend their home zone school at all), that student may participate a the varsity level as a freshman. However, if they attend even one day at their home zone school, they establish their eligibility at that institution. Of course, there are no public school buses provided to charter schools, so transportation is up to the students attending.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Kevin Heise

Let me attempt to clear this up on attendance at the charter schools, since I'm at Gray Collegiate Academy (GCA) in West Columbia. GCA is a sister school of both Oceanside Collegiate Academy (Mt. Pleasant) and Legion Collegiate Academy (Rock Hill) under the ownership of Pinnacle Charter -- http://pinnaclecharteracademies.com/

For SCHSL purposes, geographically, GCA resides in the Lexington Two School District attendance zone (Airport HS & Brookland-Cayce HS), although we are governed by the Charter Institute at Erskine. Under this arrangement, student-athletes (grades 9-12) from AHS or BCHS could move to GCA and be eligible for athletics immediately at the varsity level and vice versa as well.

However, as a statewide district, charter schools can have students attend from all over the state, but with parameters. For instance, if a student-athlete is a 10th grader from a school district other than Lexington Two (i.e. Lexington 1 or Richland 1) and transfers to GCA mid-year, that student can only participate at the sub-varsity (JV) level at GCA, until the following year when they would be eligible for varsity. If a student enrolls at GCA prior to 9th grade (cannot attend their home zone school at all), that student may participate a the varsity level as a freshman. However, if they attend even one day at their home zone school, they establish their eligibility at that institution. Of course, there are no public school buses provided to charter schools, so transportation is up to the students attending.

Thank you. So for admissions purpose and SCHSL attendance zones, those two are not necessarily equivalent. Oceanside is a state charter (like Gray), but the SCHSL defines their attendance zone for athletic purposes as the same as Wando's.

On another note, it appears this amendment is dead based on input that it may conflict with a proviso by the legislature that prevents magnet and charter schools from being treated differently than regular public schools.

The workaround suggested by the ADs was a rule that would apply to all SCHSL schools, but would impact some schools considerably more than others. That proposal was to deny eligibility to any student that did not enroll from one of that schools feeder schools. The primary exception would be a verified change of address.

An unanswered question that was brought up was how to address school of choice scenarios. This would certainly impact those without feeder schools.

On a completely different note, Boys volleyball may become sanctioned by the SCHSL. Of course football balked at it being played in the fall and pushed fo it to be in the spring - with baseball, soccer, track, and lacrosse. Because the spring isn't congested enough.
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 08:52 PM
Is boys volleyball going to play on the football field? smile
Posted By: JMouzon Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 08:57 PM
Promotion/relegation could work - logistically, it would work as well as anything else that we’ve done. Regions & classifications change and that affects travel, as well. Someone will always have an issue with travel, no matter what system we use.

If we’re talking about possibly moving schools to different brackets because of issues dealing with student admittance procedures, then pro/rel is the next logical step. Better programs compete against the better programs, sink or swim. That’s part of the logic for having a set-up based on student population, correct?
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 09:21 PM
If pro/rel becomes a thing, does that take away from the other state championships? Let's say 5A is the highest/best teams, is winning the 4A or lower championship like winning the PMSL or Open Cup? Does it mean less?
I just don't think you can have pro/reg with teams that's rosters completely turn over every 2 or 3 years, 4 if you are lucky.

The reason it works in professional football is because the core of those teams stay together from year to year and they can add players of their choosing to try to get better to be more competitive.

In high school sports, just because you are competitive and win one year, what if you had 13 seniors and are rebuilding the next? You have to play in a league full or "good" teams to just get beat up on?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 09:48 PM
Any scenario that asks kids to travel 2+ hours to a game, have two games (JV/Varsity), then drive 2+ hours back on Tuesday nights (with any frequency) is a non-starter. Keep in mind that spring sports collide with AP exams, EOCs, the Prom, and other priorities.

Sure there are exceptions, but they are exactly that, exceptions.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 10:24 PM
Have you seen some of the new region alignments?

This is why conferences should be geographical and then re-align for tournament purposes only (with everyone getting in in team sports outside football).

I see several trips of over 90 minutes, that go through major traffic areas. So 2+ hours on a bus.
Posted By: JMouzon Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 11:17 PM
Championships can always be belittled by anybody for any reason - not saying that is right or wrong, but that’s how the world works. I do t think any kid who has been on a championship team at a “lower level” has less pride in their accomplishment than a player at a “higher level”....

Travel in region play could be lessened by playing 1 region match with schools instead of 2. The games mean more because there are less of them, and has more impact. That way region games could be scheduled on Fridays or weekends (non-school nights).

I disagree with teams being bumped up “unfairly” after a large class graduates. That can be worked around through by looking at a team’s record over a period of time. Basically like the reclassification we have now every few years - instead of population, it’s based on performance.

Also, most schools in this state that are “soccer schools” usually have lots of history and tradition behind them of being successful - I’m sure schools like Wando have bigger graduating classes and seem to be fine every year maintaining their standard of performance. Suffice to say, we always seem to see the same schools playing deep into the playoffs, anyway: Wando, JL Mann, Bishop England, Academic Magnet, etc.

Conversely, would a championship at the highest level of a pro/rel system mean more than a championship at the lower level? Why yes....that would be the point of keeping score, no?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 11:43 PM
I would like a pro/rel type setup for soccer here in the state, but I can totally see a team being really good one year & then having to have a complete rebuild & get slaughtered.

Good discussion so far
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/22/20 11:53 PM

This is why conferences should be geographical and then re-align for tournament purposes only (with everyone getting in in team sports outside football).

I see several trips of over 90 minutes, that go through major traffic areas. So 2+ hours on a bus.

Conferences are geographical after enrollment is taken into account.

Look at 5A

Region 1: Hillcrest, J. L. Mann, Mauldin, T. L. Hanna, Woodmont

Region 2: Byrnes, Dorman, Riverside, Spartanburg, Wade Hampton

Region 3: Boiling Springs, Clover, Fort Mill, Gaffney, Nation Ford

Region 4: Blythewood, Northwestern, Ridge View, Rock Hill, Spring Valley

Region 5: Chapin, Dutch, Fork, Lexington, River Bluff, White Knoll

Region 6: Carolina Forest, Conway, Socastee, St. James, Sumter

Region 7: Berkeley, Cane Bay, Goose Creek, Stratford, Wando

Region 8: Ashley Ridge, Fort Dorchester, Stall, Summerville, West Ashley

Most conferences have few travel issues. Only Regions 4 and 6 would have issues. Other regions are similar with the greatest travel probably in 1A, and several of them do not have soccer.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 03:33 AM
You would go to a 3 year rotation/adjustment based on a point system. Based on the accrued amount of points over the 3 year span, top 4 or top 6 would get pushed up and bottom 6 would go down. If a program is tied for top then region finishes and playoff progression would be compared and for bottom then you could keep it simple. Bottom schools probably wouldn't mind going down.

I know of plenty scenarios where dropping down would've been best for a program and goin up would've leveled the playing field and even boosted the prestige of a program
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 05:06 AM
Say you lost in the lower state semi final in year one, lower state final in year two and the state final in year three, then you are told you have to move up a division and start over...
I wouldn't want to do that.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 05:44 AM
If the program is progressing then it should be able to handle moving up, wouldn't you say? Are we trying to level the entire playing field or are we just trying to set things up to win trophies?

So let's take the Academic Magnet girls program for instance. 2 State Titles and an appearance in Lower State. In this hypothetical, you most likely would have enough points to move up to 4A. You do not dominate when you are first in 4A but still maintain a decent record and stay at the level. Wouldn't you then over time be competitive at that level?

Now losing in the 3rd round, Lower State final, and then in the title game would be rough, but it seems like there is a decent group of players in the program and development is occurring. Most likely there is a Region title or 2 there as well. You've done well. Move up. It would be difficult but after some time the entire grouping would balance itself out. The much weaker programs would be in 1A & 2A and the skill level would increase as you progress. This would then create more parody among all the divisions.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 05:51 AM
Even if you were to take the records over the last 3 years right now and create 5 separate divisions based on previous performance, you would immediately have parody at all 5 levels.

I'm not fully sure about geography but think how it would look if Wando boys had to play Academic Magnet, Bishop England, and May River for region or Playoffs. Along with the likes of Dutch Fork and a few others, you wouldn't know who would come out of that.

4A on the girls side is pretty much a 4 to 5 team competition depending on how you look at it.

3A girls is about the same.

2A / 1A girls??
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 05:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Shamrock Rovers
Other regions are similar with the greatest travel probably in 1A, and several of them do not have soccer.

At that point, would you be better off combining 1A/2A?
Posted By: mysonsdad Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 06:01 AM
Just throwing this out there... I coached a high school team in 2000. People were talking about promotion/relegation. 20 years later people are talking about promotion/relegation. It’s not going to ever happen in the schsl. It would open up Pandora’s box with all the other sports.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 06:22 AM
In the end, isn't that what we want? I mean they already showed us what they think of us when they graciously provided the "option" of using the Rawlings Balls... Thankfully that is different now
Posted By: JMouzon Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 06:41 AM
High school soccer in this state would be a great canvas to experiment with promotion/relegation.

If what we are after is greater parity in high school athletics, then it is something to seriously discuss.

Nobody would want to come 1 game or 2 away from winning a state title in one classification, then be bumped up to a higher level of competitor....

...but don’t we all have results that don’t go our way?

And isn’t that how we all get better?
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 07:26 AM
Originally Posted By: JMouzon
High school soccer in this state would be a great canvas to experiment with promotion/relegation.

If what we are after is greater parity in high school athletics, then it is something to seriously discuss.

Nobody would want to come 1 game or 2 away from winning a state title in one classification, then be bumped up to a higher level of competitor....

...but don’t we all have results that don’t go our way?

And isn’t that how we all get better?

That's my thoughts exactly. While getting super close and losing then being told to move up would be rough, wouldn't it provide an opportunity to grow and possibly build something better? Then given time if the program loses quality then it would drop back down to where it needed to be.

Example: At Midland Valley, they have a team that can probably compete decently at the 2A level. Yes they have a big student population, but the school's program is somewhat limited. I've been there and know personally. When we were at the 3A level we still could barely keep up with one or two 3A teams, but pair us against 2A and we were pretty evenly matched. In that case, Pro/Rel would've been great because we could've competed against schools with similar skill level instead of being dropped by 10 - 14 goals in region most games.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 08:29 AM
Boiling Springs to Fort Mill and Nation Ford is 83+ miles through Charlotte. That is 2 trips for them. And Northwestern to Columbia is a hike also. (Let alone the fact that there are 5 York County 5A schools and they aren't in the same region.
So that is 3 of 8, almost half the state.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 08:30 AM

Look at 5A

Most conferences have few travel issues. Only Regions 4 and 6 would have issues. Other regions are similar with the greatest travel probably in 1A, and several of them do not have soccer.

Boiling Springs to Fort Mill and Nation Ford is 83+ miles through Charlotte. That is 2 trips for them. And Northwestern to Columbia is a hike also. (Let alone the fact that there are 5 York County 5A schools and they aren't in the same region.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 03:53 PM

Look at 5A

Boiling Springs does not go “through” Charlotte. Yes they are a one of, like James Island. There is no perfect scenario.

But come on, what do you propose? An environment that could see Boiling Springs travel to Wando or Conway instead? How would you divide up those 40 schools in a better manner?

Do you want to get rid of regions? Are you asking that Hilton Head travel to Landrum, or Hartsville, or Daniel in the middle of week? Pro/Rel could do that to. No regions could do that. Ask a teacher to work all day, then drive those kids late into the night, then teach again tomorrow. Not best practice.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 05:24 PM

Look at 5A

Boiling Springs does not go “through” Charlotte. Yes they are a one of, like James Island. There is no perfect scenario.

But come on, what do you propose? An environment that could see Boiling Springs travel to Wando or Conway instead? How would you divide up those 40 schools in a better manner?

Do you want to get rid of regions? Are you asking that Hilton Head travel to Landrum, or Hartsville, or Daniel in the middle of week? Pro/Rel could do that to. No regions could do that. Ask a teacher to work all day, then drive those kids late into the night, then teach again tomorrow. Not best practice.

Yes, get rid of regions and go to Geographic conferences with everyone needing a region if they want one!!!!
Boiling Springs to Mauldin, Dorman, etc and Clover, FM, NAFO to Northwestern and Rock Hill seems to make a lot more sense doesn't it??? The problem is trying to artificially fit 40 teams into regions that don't make sense. And I am not in favor of pro/rel.

I do have a question, how many students at our largest 5A schools play sports?
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 06:00 PM

Yes, get rid of regions and go to Geographic conferences with everyone needing a region if they want one!!!!
Boiling Springs to Mauldin, Dorman, etc and Clover, FM, NAFO to Northwestern and Rock Hill seems to make a lot more sense doesn't it??? The problem is trying to artificially fit 40 teams into regions that don't make sense. And I am not in favor of pro/rel.

For all sports or just soccer? There are winners and losers in each scenario.

Wando has 175 kids come out for boys soccer every year. Almost all of them play club. The 150 or so boys they cut are more boys than most all the boys enrolled at most 1A schools.

Every school in 1A through 5A can offer the same amount of teams. Military Magnet has a coed team with few if any kids that play on club. Cross and St. Johns are similar. They are in the same geographic locale as Wando, Academic Magnet and BE. They are no where close to level playing fields. Same conference?

Green Sea Floyd. I think they would prefer the current status then play Conway, Socastee, MB and NMB regularly.

Similar discrepancies exist in the Southeast with Allendale Fairfax, Whale Branch, Battery Creek, May River, Hilton Head, Beaufort and Bluffton.

Would you include Chesnee, Blacksburg, Landrum in that same conference with Boiling Springs, Mauldin, Dorman?

No easy answers, though I do appreciate the discussion.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 06:12 PM

For all sports or just soccer? There are winners and losers in each scenario.

Wando has 175 kids come out for boys soccer every year. Almost all of them play club. The 150 or so boys they cut are more boys than most all the boys enrolled at most 1A schools.

Every school in 1A through 5A can offer the same amount of teams. Military Magnet has a coed team with few if any kids that play on club. Cross and St. Johns are similar. They are in the same geographic locale as Wando, Academic Magnet and BE. They are no where close to level playing fields. Same conference?

Green Sea Floyd. I think they would prefer the current status then play Conway, Socastee, MB and NMB regularly.

Similar discrepancies exist in the Southeast with Allendale Fairfax, Whale Branch, Battery Creek, May River, Hilton Head, Beaufort and Bluffton.

Would you include Chesnee, Blacksburg, Landrum in that same conference with Boiling Springs, Mauldin, Dorman?

No easy answers, though I do appreciate the discussion.

I would say all sports. Then within conferences they could break up however they want (10 or 12 teams with 2 divisions). They do this in other states to great success.
Schools could join any conference with a preference to only 2 divisions (say 4A and 5A) in one conference, but allow for schools to petition to join conferences. So if a 3A school wants to play in a 4A/5A conference because they can compete and it benefits their athletes they could petition and get it. If a team wanted to be independent and play whoever, they could.

Great discussion!
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 07:38 PM
This is what I would like to see:
Do away with regions and every classification goes to a seeding meeting for playoffs. Let your record and schedule speak for itself. If you know you are going to be "down" then you can schedule accordingly but understand that you could be left out of the tournament or seeded accordingly.

That way I'm not going to Georgetown on a Tuesday, to Manning on a Thursday and to Wacammaw on a Tuesday. All of which are a least 90 minutes one way.

I was going to type more but stepping into a meeting. Dang work getting in the way.
Posted By: JMouzon Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 07:42 PM
What about using our bigger tournaments as a way to mitigate the travel issue? The Viking Cup (and others) could function as a sort of go between site for teams to play....

Kind of like how track has region meets....
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 08:17 PM
Do away with regions and every classification goes to a seeding meeting for playoffs. Let your record and schedule speak for itself. If you know you are going to be "down" then you can schedule accordingly but understand that you could be left out of the tournament or seeded accordingly.

That way I'm not going to Georgetown on a Tuesday, to Manning on a Thursday and to Wacammaw on a Tuesday. All of which are a least 90 minutes one way.

I was going to type more but stepping into a meeting. Dang work getting in the way.

Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 08:18 PM
I agree with Allister
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 11:01 PM

How would you ensure that all schools got games? For example, If the local large schools don’t want to play Allendale Fairfax, how do they get games. Some schools would fill their schedules quickly (yours for argument sake) while others then have to scramble to find open games/dates.

The current structure ensures everyone gets a home and away within the region. Even with that, some schools struggle to fill their non-conference. It helps create some measure of equity.
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/23/20 11:12 PM
I actually made that point in an earlier post about it being harder for smaller schools to get games.
I don't know the answer to that on how to ensure everyone gets games. I came up with a random number just because you don't want teams playing a 5 game schedule and trying to get in the playoffs.

Even if they don't do away with regions, which I know they won't, I'd like to see seeding meeting for playoffs. I know from experience that the two of the best teams can come from the same region but have to play an away game in Round 2 because of predetermined brackets.
Posted By: Shamrock Rovers Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/24/20 12:59 AM
Yes. That aspect is something that I believe needs a fix. Just looking at AAA, the 3rd place team in one Region might would finish 1st in another.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/24/20 01:17 AM
Yes. That aspect is something that I believe needs a fix. Just looking at AAA, the 3rd place team in one Region might would finish 1st in another.

Completely agree with that statement. Didn't we recently see, I do not recall what sport, a team who was I defeated have to travel for a playoff game in a 2nd or 3rd round game? It was odd to see. Maybe Wando 2 years ago had to travel to River Bluff maybe?

All levels need a seeding meeting and yes you'll have some arguments and head butting but usually in the end, everyone gets seeded appropriately (for the most part)
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/24/20 08:16 AM
Seeding would be great & I think using the MaxPreps SOS formula to factor into a team’s record would help deviate teams scheduling a bunch of weaker programs just to say they got 20 wins
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/24/20 08:40 AM
Seeding would be great & I think using the MaxPreps SOS formula to factor into a team’s record would help deviate teams scheduling a bunch of weaker programs just to say they got 20 wins

That would be great! Now get every single program to actually fill out their schedules like they are supposed to... also WITHOUT adding the scrimmages grin
Posted By: Alister DeLong Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/24/20 05:39 PM
I'm not sure I fully trust those Max Preps rankings. Keep an eye on them this year and watch where they rank some teams. I could be wrong but I feel like it's not the best way.

I think some states are required to use them or their team isn't playoff eligible. I believe I heard that somewhere or maybe just made it up... I like to make this up sometimes.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/25/20 01:17 AM
I'm not sure I fully trust those Max Preps rankings.

Fair enough! I brought this up at the United Soccer Coaches High School Rankings Committee last Thursday in Baltimore and have asked our leadership at that level to confer with MaxPreps about tweaking their formula. Kyle spoke with Alisa Dancer of MaxPreps about this as well.

Way too many 'points' are awarded to larger classification schools in addition to 'wins' in general due to their logarithm formula. There are fallacies with the MaxPreps ratings, but if everyone would enter their schedules and scores in a timely manner, a lot of the discrepancies will work themselves out.

As for making stuff up, you are not wrong. North Carolina bases their playoffs solely on the MaxPreps ratings.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/25/20 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Kevin Heise
but if everyone would enter their schedules and scores in a timely manner, a lot of the discrepancies will work themselves out

Why not make it a requirement to fill out MaxPreps schedules and results for all sports?

Scores must be posted within 48 hours of the contest. Also, why can we still not have a "scrimmage" status surely the technology is available?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/25/20 01:59 AM
What’s the consequences of program that don’t post on MaxPreps if it’s mandatory? Not like it has any effect whatsoever on anything. I agree everyone should post, but I wouldn’t be surprised if schools disregard since there’d be no repercussions if you don’t post scores there.

Good points on rankings too
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/25/20 03:47 AM
What’s the consequences of program that don’t post on MaxPreps if it’s mandatory? Not like it has any effect whatsoever on anything. I agree everyone should post, but I wouldn’t be surprised if schools disregard since there’d be no repercussions if you don’t post scores there.

Fines. It's a major system that assists in the vital operation of sports within the HSL. By not reporting, the schools are neglecting the importance of the SCHSL & ruining the integrity of the sports and league.

Or some sort of "this is important" speak

If it effects the integrity of the state playoffs then it could be pushed. It's simple point and click. But that's putting too much responsibility on others to do a simple task properly
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: New SCHSL proposal - 01/25/20 06:32 PM

The first year North Carolina instituted this policy for its' NCHSCA members a basketball team was omitted from the postseason despite winning its' conference and a perfect regular season record. In the Tar Heel state, the roundball is king and this sent a major message to all sports programs that it will be enforced to the fullest.

In my opinion, if you have a useful tool - use it! Does it have its quirks? Yes! However, the more data and information it can compile the better the system. With the SCHSSCA we have had really good participation for most SCHSL and SCISA members. However, there are some pockets of the state that need to be addressed so if you know of a coach not contributing - then do the right thing and inform them.
© SC Soccer