Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Import #105725 05/27/08 05:59 PM
L
bench
bench
L
It seems as if people are questioning the judgement of one of the best college coaches in the nation, for a number of years. As far as recruiting from his club team, Lexington United has been one of the more successful club teams in SC over the last 2 years. They won state at U-17 (undefeated) and finshed second this past season at U-18. During that 2 year period they posted a 5-1 record against the CESA teams, and defeated the CUFC team 4 straight times. They finished second to CESA this past year, loosing a tight game on PKs. Lexington United has 10 players signed (with several pending) to play college ball, with or without soccer money. I do not think there is another club team that can make that claim. As far as recruiting goes, coaches have to consider several aspects. There are many high caliber players that do well on the field but poorly in the classroom or off the field. If a player has below average grades and cannot stay out of trouble off the field why would any coach take a chance. As an example, the goal keeper from Aiken could not pass the pressure in the classroom and ended up dropping out. If any senior player has yet to sign it would be safe to assume that there are problems elsewhere. In addition, the positions coaches are looking for change from year to year, based on their need at any given time. There are very few players receiving "big" money for college soccer. As most people know, college coaches tend to recruit more from club play than high school play. Also, most players are recruited after their junior year and most players are well aware of where they will play well before the end of their Senior year in high school. We all have a good feeling for who has talent but very few of us, on the outside, have any knowledge of the players grades and off the field activities. In addition, most are well aware of several "problem" players that are very good soccer players that colleges have apparently passed over. Not to mention, some players, regardless of how good they are, have any desire to play college ball. The main point, Coach Berson has proved himself to be one of the nation's premier coaches, why question his judgement. The players USC has recruited this year all had offers from other colleges, not just USC.

longtime #105726 05/27/08 07:33 PM
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
letme,
honestly, please just be quiet, you are not making yourself seem any better in the process. people will always think of you in such a dumb manner because of your behavior on this post. also, while I am glad more SC players are getting a chance to compete for spots on D1 teams, i agree with clemsonsoccer in that I feel they should be deserved. I do think vance benson might end up doing some good things at USC and Spencer Lewis is a great example of in-state recruiting turning out well. however, his most recent signings from the midlands, in his son and Daniel Lynch just don't add up. If I were a coach I would love to have my son play for me, but only if he was good enough. If not I would use all my resources and contacts to find him a competitive D2 or D3 school to play at. Schools in SC continue to get better and better, especially the D2 and D3 programs. I'm not here to bash, but to tell what some call a "harsh" truth, but I'm not going to be the US government and lie... enough said

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
USC had one of the top recruiting classes! Berson knows what he is doing!

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Everyone knows that Berson is an excellent coach, but does he actually take the time to see what kinda of talent sc actually brings

Greco3 #105729 05/28/08 04:09 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
As far as recruiting his own son, who is described as "average at best" by players and coaches that know him, really a D2/3 player, the word that comes to my mind is Nepotism. Berson has no shame nor self-awareness in this matter. Maybe his son wants to be a soccer coach when he grows up... Taking a spot away from a deserving d-1 player so a relative can "sit" is shameless!

Greco3 #105730 05/28/08 12:41 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Everyone knows that Berson is an excellent coach, but does he actually take the time to see what kinda of talent sc actually brings

I think the point needs to be made that Berson also has the benefit of having one of the best assistant coaches in the business in Bert Molinary. Coach Molinary does know the talent in SC as well as throughout the nation. I'm sure he has quite the frequent flyer miles accumulated from his recruiting trips.

soccer63 #105731 05/28/08 06:28 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I don't see how a soccer coach is shameless and a Hall of Fame footbal coach is brilliant for possibly doing the same stuff. Was it nepotism when Lou Holtz brought Skip to carry on after Lou was gone? Why didn't the USC AD do something with Holtz? Surely there was a whole lotta money involved with Skip compared to what we are talking about. That is IF this person received one full scholarship out of 9.9 allowed for a 20 something man roster.

And Absolutely correct soccer63, Molinary knows his stuff!

??? Offline
goal kick
goal kick
When Spurrier allows his son to play on the team that is because scott is a compitent player and there are 90 spots on a football team...also skip holtz has proven himself and his team beat the defending tostitos fiesta bowl champions...these people are actually good at what they do. Also, i am sick of hearing people say.."he is D2 or D3". Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer...USC Upstate years ago was as good or better than every D1 school in the state...The year Clemson went to the Final Four Lander beat them 2 to 1. You are ignorant to think there is a huge difference in D1 and D2 soccer. The best teams in D2 are as good or better than the best teams in D1.
Lastly, USC'S recruiting class was not that good this year...VERY overrated...I am a die hard USC fan but the truth is the truth

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
does anyone know if berson's son got a scholarship? if he did not receive $ from soccer the coach is not taking anything away from anyone. there is no limit on the #'s u can have on a college team, except when conferences limit dressed players for those teams traveling...several kids play for their parents...i guess nepotism would come in if the kid is not deserving to play and does over a better player...but filling a roster spot is no big deal...i know coaches that have to have at least 28 on their roster...

goal
goal
Many of you seem to be making a LOT of assumptions.

sidenet: you say “…Taking a spot away from a deserving d-1 player so a relative can "sit" is shameless!” You get extra points for making two assumptions in the same sentence. Do you KNOW that he is taking a “spot” from anybody? Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that USC is able to roster 25 players. Maybe, for whatever reason, Berson was only able to find 24 that worked out for him (not ONLY 24 “good” players or 24 “anything” players, just 24 players that “worked” for him, regardless of the reason), and only intended to roster those 24. So, in that scenario, (and also assuming, again, for argument’s sake, that maybe his son is getting either a full academic scholarship, or as someone else suggested, a free ride because his dad is a coach) his son wouldn’t be taking anybody’s “spot.” Your second assumption is that the son will “sit” the bench. Even if you have seen the boy play, and feel he is unworthy, who ARE you to say he will sit the bench? If you were such a respected analyzer, YOU would be getting paid for that.

clem: you say “TONS and TONS of kids…get passed up by USC…” Again, how do you know that tons get passed up? Are you making that statement based solely on the fact that TONS of South Carolina players are not on the USC roster? “A spot on a division one team is not something that I think should just be given out, but needs to be earned and deserved,” “Players like like Davis Jenkins and Jason McCabe to name recent ones get passed over,” “…this kid plays for his club team for a couple of years and gets a spot,” and “Maybe get out and watch the kids up from CESA or something I heard they're not that bad.” You make so many assumptions, it’s hard to know where to start.

And, please don’t jump on me like you do LETMEPUTITTOYOU. I am all for discussing whatever anybody wants to discuss, but you don’t seem to be discussing – you’re just trashing (by making baseless statements). Although, a couple times, you do actually ask a question like you don’t already “know” the answer. The only FACTS I see in any of your posts here are names on the rosters.

Have you bothered to approach Berson or Molinary with any of your concerns? I happen to know that Bert is a very approachable person. Now, I’m not saying that he’s gonna sit down with you and defend each and every recruiting decision he’s ever made, but I’d be willing to bet he would be more than happy to give you at least some insight into many of his choices.

johnproctor: you say “…taking some of these players takes away scholarships for others who are more diserving…” more assumptions. Who are you to say 1) that any of these players are taking away scholarships from anyone, and 2) who is more deserving than somebody else?

clem: you say “I just don't think it's fair for USC to make these claims that it is looking more at in-state players and offering more spots than in the past, then go and pull this behind the scenes stuff where the four kids with spots all played on his club team.” Where are all these claims that USC has made regarding recruiting in-state? Not saying they haven’t made these claims, but I’d like to know where you’re getting those “claims” from.

clem: you say “I feel that there is an injustice.” You are really starting to (or continuing to) sound like you’ve got some sort of an axe to grind with Berson. Do you have a child, or a friend who has a child who was “passed up” by Berson. Without any real facts, none of what you have stated (or asked) in this thread sounds like any kind of injustice, just you not agreeing with the decisions of a man who has run a highly respected program for – wait, let me check the facts – yes, for 29 YEARS. But, to be fair to you, your soccer resume is what?

???: you say “Also, i am sick of hearing people say.."he is D2 or D3". Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer...USC Upstate years ago was as good or better than every D1 school in the state...The year Clemson went to the Final Four Lander beat them 2 to 1. You are ignorant to think there is a huge difference in D1 and D2 soccer. The best teams in D2 are as good or better than the best teams in D1.”

I probably should have ignored this, but I’ve already jumped in pretty deep, so... sorry, but most of that is just plain ignorant. For you to use Clemson’s loss to Lander the year they went to the final four as proof that "Division 2 soccer is just as good as D1 soccer" is simply ridiculous. Addressing the rest isn’t even worth my time.

longtime, soccer63, solomon and keepersd2002 all seem to be voices of reason. I want to thank you for that.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard