Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
P
Rather than hijack another post, I thought I would ask this question in a new thread. When you consider your child and his/her experience in club soccer, what is the single most important factor of the experience for you? For the players that roam the boards, what do you believe is the greatest benefit you get from club soccer?

goal
goal
Player development IMO. My son has grown from a "B Player" in his younger years to a vital member of an upper level team. However, that would not have been possible if he did not get the proper coaching at the club and high school levels (there really is no drop off for this area and we are lucky in that regard).

Also, to enjoy the experience (especially at his age group now) a fundamental measure is winning! I wasn't as worried about this aspect when he was 10, 11, or 12 years old, but once you reach that middle/high school stage, it's all about what's on the scoreboard (and player development has as much to do with that measure as anything)!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
H
goal
goal
H
Having fun, however the individual defines it for him or herself. For some kids it means playing recreational soccer with friends. For others it means taking on the challenge of becoming the best player he or she can be.

brace
brace
In no order, because they are about equal in my opinion:

• Coaching/training

• High-level of competition

• Friends/peers/culture (social) aspects that come with it

Research seems to support that organized sports is even more beneficial for young ladies in terms of benefits beyond the playing fields.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
world cup
world cup
If the economy continues to move in the direction which it is currently going, PRICE/VALUE must be taken into consideration.

After all, this is soccer, not insulin.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal

If the economy continues to move in the direction which it is currently going, PRICE/VALUE must be taken into consideration.

After all, this is soccer, not insulin.

Touche'!!! Bang for the buck philosophy. I can't imagine carting my kid twice (maybe three times) a week from Columbia to Greenville or Charleston so that they can play soccer when there are viable alternatives here in town. I don't believe the services offered elsewhere in the state can trump $4 per gallon gas prices.

In this respect, I am glad she's grown up past the youth soccer level. I couldn't afford it anymore.

Victory Starts Here!
throw in
throw in
There was a time it would have been the quality of training. Then there was a time it would have been the level of play.

In considering all the years of club ball, it becomes clearer that it was always about fun for the kids - they LOVED the whole experience - playing, practicing, being with their teammates, working towards common goals - everything.

For me, in retrospect, the greatest benefit received from all these years was quality time spent together as a family. It's hard to quantify the value of all those countless hours spent in cars, hotels, or at games. Priceless - and easily the greatest benefit received from club soccer.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
team development

"Quit ball watchin' son!"
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Building character and enjoying the game of soccer.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Always Right:

Great post! I don't think the answer to this question could be stated any better, especially the last part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard