Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
FIFA overwhelmingly support '6+5' rule

Quote:

German legend Beckenbauer, chairman of FIFA's football committee, talked about the need to restore the national identity in European leagues where some teams were devoid of native players.

I found this quite interesting. What if youth soccer clubs were restricted to only have five players from outside of say a 5 or 10 mile radius of their club site? Could the clubs survive? Would it eliminate the "super clubs" like CESA or Bridge FA?

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
world cup
world cup
Think of Williamsport-sanctioned Little League Baseball.

Everyone must reside within the true town limits.

(Sounds a little like high school?)

You certainly would have more teams, wouldn't have any super-club teams. Leagues would be bigger and at the younger age groups all matches could be played within the district (upstate, midstate, lowerstate).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal kick
goal kick
wow!!! i just wrote a whole paragraph stating what i thought about this 6+5 rule and i accidently erased it. Im not a fan of this rule.... Foreign players play with flair and brilliance as only a few home grown talent can play at that pace or flair.

"THERE IS ONLY 1 RONALDO"
Brace
Brace
Seems like American Legion baseball to me!

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
it will have a hard time going through, it violates eu laws about free movement and something else i read, but the premier league is the best in the world, why fix it if it isn't broken?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I don't think it would hurt the clubs all that much. Overall it would certainly affect a few age groups so I guess they wouldn't be SUPERclubs anymore. I think the 5 to 10 mile radius is definately too small though. I live in the center of Greenville and Cesa's MESA complex is farther than 5 maybe 10 miles. The majority of the people on these teams are from Greenville or surrounding suburbs and usually 5 or less that actually travel to play for them. That is why people talk about the upstate high schoool teams being stacked with just club players.

"Quit ball watchin' son!"
P
kick off
kick off
P
I don't like the idea in the professional leagues, but developing homegrown talent at local levels is not a bad idea. The development of local players (and coaches I might add) would be great for the competitive balance of the sport in our state. Not sure if some arbitrary 6+5 rule should exist, but maybe a limit on age recruiting or something like that.

Obviously as players get older they should be able to workout with and play for any club they wish, but should this be reserved for the U17, U18 and U19 clubs?

Link Copied to Clipboard