Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Coach Chass #106254 06/05/08 03:56 PM
throw in
throw in
Dale Jr., Coach Chass, etc.,
As the kids now often say, "Don't be hating". Why can't people just wish a kid well if they are working hard toward their dream and not resort to sarcasm?? I assume that most people on this board are here because they love the game of soccer. What works for one kid doesn't always work for others. And for the record, my kid doesn't need rescuing from anything, she is as tough as nails.

Coach Young #106255 06/05/08 04:15 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

Do you really need to send a player to a soccer institute like IMG in order for her to be successful? Can high quality players be developed through normal club and HS avenues or does one truly have to sacrifice family and childhood friends to truly make it?

No hate intended. Just curious if IMG prepares you better overall or if clubs like CESA and CUFC would suffice. Read carefully next time, you'll see bud. I doubt your young 'n is anything but tough as nails and I wish you and yours the very best.

FutbolMadness #106256 06/05/08 04:55 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
As for me, I think I was making a contrast between kids like Sweet's (enjoying the lifestyle) and a forced-march kind of training...which, I think, makes your point that what's great for one might not be great for all. Then, we started joking around about extreme melodramatic characterizations, movie deals were mentioned, I got a call from Spielberg, my PR man said the quicker you start teasing them with the trailer, the better the opening weekend at the box office...and it went from there.

No hating here, just a chuckle at stereotypes. A touch of satire, a spoof...a lampoon, if you will. But no hating.

I've got good news and bad news...
FutbolMadness #106257 06/05/08 05:00 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Oh, and compliments to your daughter as well...I've always said, you put the girls through the fire, nine times out of ten they come out tougher than the boys--that is, the ones who are willing to give it their all. Boys sometimes stick with sports because they feel like they're "supposed" to, being guys and all. You find girls that are willing to stick with a sport and give it their all through hard work and intensive training , and you've found players on the highest level of commitment.

Coach Chass #106258 06/05/08 08:36 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Oh, and compliments to your daughter as well...I've always said, you put the girls through the fire, nine times out of ten they come out tougher than the boys--that is, the ones who are willing to give it their all. Boys sometimes stick with sports because they feel like they're "supposed" to, being guys and all. You find girls that are willing to stick with a sport and give it their all through hard work and intensive training , and you've found players on the highest level of commitment.

Totally agree, my first two born boys played basketball/soccer because they felt they had to. My third born daughter plays soccer because she loves to play SOCCER. She runs circles around the two boys! (and is still a very prissy young lady off the field)

SV-Dad #106259 06/06/08 03:35 AM
throw in
throw in
I agree with all of you regarding the commitment of girls to sports in general. When they are serious about a sport they often do what it takes to rise to the top. My son, on the other hand, would not have even considered exerting himself beyond just what it took to get by in soccer or any other sport. This was especially true if doing so would have interfered with his social life. I have heard the same thing from several friends with both boys and girls. My son is grown now, but was shocked to hear that his sister wanted to go to "soccer boot camp" for her senior year - just couldn't fathom what would make someone want to do that. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general I think girls that are really into soccer tend to be deadly serious about the sport. As I overheard my daughter say to a friend recently "I've played since I was 5 - I can't imagine my life without soccer." The commitment of the girls in this age group bodes well for Women's soccer in the U.S. in the years to come.

FutbolMadness #106260 06/06/08 11:46 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Yep...I have had so many opportunities to be impressed with these girls and young women who play--not just the ones who grew up with soccer, but also some of the ones who find the sport in their high school years and fall in love with it. I think the term "fiercely committed" would apply. So many examples I've seen...there was the defender (a former cheerleader who crossed over, no less) who played 2/3 of a game with a broken big toe on her primary kicking foot and managed to hide it from me to make sure I wouldn't take her out. The tears were flowing after the match, but she never showed a thing on the field. This was the same girl who, in August conditioning, veered off the track to a 55-gallon trash drum, continued to dance in a circle around the can while she emptied her lunch into it, wiped her mouth, and kept running--never missed a step.

I've had girls in high school and in club who would give their last ounce...come off the field near exhaustion, get some ice to cool down, and ask to go back in 5 minutes later. I've seen them play sick and injured, and had some tell me if they died on the pitch, it would be a good way to go.

When these young ladies commit, they are in all the way..."deadly serious" is a good way to put it, and I remain impressed with them.

Coach Chass #106261 06/06/08 02:02 PM
throw in
throw in
Coach Chass, Very well stated! This describes what I have witnessed on the girls side of soccer also. Broken noses/toes/fingers - no problem, worry about it AFTER the game. Concussion from smacking your head on the goalpost during a save - time to recover AFTER winning the game! And playing the entire game with the Flu and 102 is a no-brainer.....

FutbolMadness #106262 06/06/08 05:28 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
So you KNOW my keeper, do you?

2d1dad #106263 06/06/08 11:55 PM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Just from personal experience, if I want something I pick the best path I can use to get there.

If IMG was what I wanted and it was a good fit for me then I would do it. If club at whatever level made me feel elite then go for it, make yourself happy.

I remember being in the Coast Guard and being honestly shocked that there were those who did the minimum. I always tried for the rung above, I have slipped many many times. But knowing that every once in a while I can achieve one more rung gives me the juice.

It's OK to feel "better" than others. Acting better is different. Being tops in class and not doing drugs makes you better than those who do drugs.

It's GREAT to be GREAT. No apologies.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard