Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I am taking a class at the University of Georgia this week for AP Human Geography training and one of the things I had down to do this summer was to read a book that I purchased three years ago and have yet to dedicate time to read it - How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer.

I have used this book in our Advanced Soccer Class at BCHS, but have not read it in its' entirety, but plan to work on it this week in Athens.

Here's a great interview of the book's author Franklin Foer and his comments on the globalization of the world via soccer - MotherJones.com

world cup
world cup
I read the book last summer (or the summer before?) There was some discussion of it on these boards. Very interesting book.

Enjoy the course.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
"Advanced Soccer Class at BCHS" - Please explain. Is there a "Soccer Class" and a "Remedial Soccer Class"? Are the students required to be team members, or the team required to take the class? What does the course content include? Are there just lectures or does it include film study as well? Are there field trips? What does hoemwork include? Do other schools in the state have a class(es) like this? Maybe this is something I should push for at GSSM.

Coach Cady GSSM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Coach Cady - Advanced Soccer Class, means it falls under "Advanced P.E." classes -- i.e. post-9th grade P.E. and akin to Advanced Football, Advanced Basketball, Advanced Baseball, Weightlifting, etc.

You do not have to be a member of either the boys or girls soccer programs to be involved. Last year, we had 37 students, and 27 were soccer players, but 10 were not. However, the class generally consists of three days of conditioning and weight training, so if you don't want to do those activities, it's really not in your best interest to be in the class. It is not mandatory for soccer players to take this class, but many/most opt to do so (at least once).

The other days are reserved for indoor soccer or "soccer culture" class. We cover a myriad of soccer topics, from global soccer (professional leagues, World Cup qualifying, etc.), domestic professional leagues, youth soccer structure, facility management, college recruiting process, community service outreach, elementary school instructors, etc.

It is a really fun course to oversee. The class has certainly helped our soccer acumen the last several years. There are players now in their junior/senior year in college that were in the first classes and are now "lifelong" soccer fans -- not just ex-players. That's very gratifying.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
By the way, the AP Human Geography course I took at the University of Georgia was first-rate. Came away with a lot of new ideas and strategies. Also, How Soccer Explains the World was very appropriate reading and coincided with our globalization theories in class that we discussed. The book is very entertaining and informative. Really makes you look at the world in a new light! The "business" side of soccer too!

C
Coach
Coach
C
That's great that you can do a soccer class as a PE option...I asked once if we could have one for soccer like the one we have for football, and I got laughed at...

I've got good news and bad news...
goal
goal
Took soccer at USC, have to say it was kinda dissapointing...

I hate floppers

Link Copied to Clipboard